Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Lamberger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I was going to switch out the 161 bulbs behind the lightning bolts on an AC/DC Premium, then I stumbled on Hooked On Pinball's Lightning flashers. Unfortunately the website says they're sold out of both the red and black versions. I then found Pinbits version of the lightning flashers. I've ordered from both vendors and have been very pleased with products from each.

Anyone have either the Hooked set or Pinbits set? Any feedback/strong feelings either way? Pics? Worth holding out for Hooked? Pinbits looked very durable... Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

I have the Pinbits set and they are very well designed and constructed. I would highly recommend. They are very bright so you may want to have the colored filter installed.

#3 9 years ago

I think I'm ordering a set soon myself.

#4 9 years ago

I have the Hook set. I had them in a good 7 months with no issues, but I have only put 100~ games or so on my Luci since then. Some people have complained about air balls taking out lights, but so far so good no air balls or busted lights.

#5 9 years ago

Do they blind you?

#6 9 years ago

Absolutely not. Mine are a very mellow yellow. They are no brighter than the stock leds in the machine. Just as a comparison, I put an led kit in my Jack-Bot and I now sometimes have difficulty following the ball because of how bright they are. My Luci/bolts don't give me any of these issues.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Do they blind you?

They are bright, not blinding but you sure will notice. I never even noticed the stock flashers, they were horrible. These should have been factory. They do make colored filters for them that will tone it down if its to much.

#8 9 years ago

I have the pinbits set in my LE.
One of the best mods for acca
They are very bright, but they do get easier on the eyes after time.

#9 9 years ago

I have the Hooked ones and they constantly break. I've had bad solder joints, failed resistors, and failed LED's repeatedly. I'm tired of repairing these things and I'm to the point where I am ready to toss them and go with something else.

#10 9 years ago

Memphis777 has a point that I forgot about as well. I had a bad solder joint on 1 of 3 of my bolts as well and it broke during installation. It was replaced free and easily, but still worth noting.

#11 9 years ago

Well durability sounds to be an issue why something similar was never installed stock.

#12 9 years ago

I have the Pinbits Lightning set also. I made a video link on my mod page showing them in action on my AC/DC pinball machine. They look great and are really bright.

http://www.pinballsupernova.com/my%20mods.html

Blog: http://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pbsupernova?ref=hl

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYkP5URZoS8NApETWc7uBmA/feed?view_as=public

#13 9 years ago

Pinbits. No substitution.

#14 9 years ago

Super nice job on the site and all media!

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Memphis777:

I have the Hooked ones and they constantly break. I've had bad solder joints, failed resistors, and failed LED's repeatedly. I'm tired of repairing these things and I'm to the point where I am ready to toss them and go with something else.

Second this, had to return them. 99% of Hooked mods are amazing, even thiugh they looked amazing, this mod was the 1%.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Memphis777:

Second this, had to return them. 99% of Hooked mods are amazing, even thiugh they looked amazing, this mod was the 1%.

#17 9 years ago

Pinbits bolts best mod ever highly recommend.

#18 9 years ago

Pinbits version for me. One of my favorite mods of all time. They even look great when they're off. Highly recommended.

#19 9 years ago

I have Pinbits and had no issues. I like them. I blocked a couple of LEDs off the back of each with elect tape to tone down the brightness. Not so much because it bothered my eyes but because I didn't want it washing out the rest of the game when they went off. They are now perfect IMO. I used the blue filters.

Have not seen Hooked's in person so can't comment on those but they are probably very nicely done.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#20 9 years ago

Pinbits flashers are amazing. I tried to resist due to the steep price tag, but of course I caved and don't regret it one bit. I used the red bolt artwork to tone down the brightness which I found to be super intense with the more stock-looking plastic.

#21 9 years ago

Mine came with super bright LED flashers behind the lightning bolts, no idea if that was stock or not. My only complaint with those is the one on the left orbit keeps falling off and getting lodged in the trough.

#22 9 years ago

I have the Pinbits ones with the blue filters installed. Awesome product! They have been going strong for about a year and a half.

#23 9 years ago

Pinbits here also. Highly recommended.

#24 9 years ago

I ordered Hookeds but haven't installed them yet. I'm a bit nervous now....

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

I ordered Hookeds but haven't installed them yet. I'm a bit nervous now....

I cannot recommend them at all. Aside from the issues with them breaking, mine also were shorting the flasher ground to the switch bracket. This was due to a washer on the back of the board making contact with the ground trace.

I was offered a return, I just haven't got around to mailing them back yet.

Rob

#26 9 years ago

I have Pinbits and love them. I dont think you need the filter, they are bright but not distracting. Great quality product and worth the money.
Ed

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I cannot recommend them at all. Aside from the issues with them breaking, mine also were shorting the flasher ground to the switch bracket. This was due to a washer on the back of the board making contact with the ground trace.
I was offered a return, I just haven't got around to mailing them back yet.
Rob

Thanks, I might have to look into this.

#28 9 years ago

I have the Pinbits ones and decided to use the blue "sandwich" plastic on the inside, which works & looks great IMO. That way it looks stock "yellow" when unlit, but flashes blue from the front & bright white out the back. For me this works because the lightning bolt inserts are blue, and white flashing out the front was a bit too intense IMO.

#29 9 years ago

I've had the Hooked version on mine for close to a year now. The only problem I have is there are a couple of rows of LEDs out on the bottom of the right bolt. Its not enough for me to want to mess with it at this point, as I really don't notice it while playing.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Memphis777:

Sorry to say also mine constantly break. Soldered them numerous times. Got a spare which also breaks and use it for parts. I tells the solder it works for a couple of weeks and than break again. Mostly the lower part leds go off. Suspect that the led wires are cut of to short. Asked one time for spare leds but also hooked doesn't have them, he outsources this apparently.

So he a great guy with great mods, this one unfortunately has problems. When it works it is great

#31 9 years ago

I have the Pinbits set and highly recommend them. One of the best mods available.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Super nice job on the site and all media!

Thanks OldPinGuy. Much appreciated

#33 9 years ago

I have the Hooked version, both sets were broken when I received them, good customer support and sent me another set but these were broken as well so I ended up soldering them and they work fine now with no issues. He also let me have the broken set and at least I have some replacements if they ever go down or fail, I would not hesitate to buy off him again as he had good customer support...

#34 9 years ago

Started with Hooked's version first. First set started to go out after about 15 games. He replaced them for me and my second set lasted about as long. His customer service was great as he replaced them fast and was quick to accept the return after the second set failed. I went with pinbits and haven't had a problem since on those with over 500 plays now. I personally preferred the look of the Hooked version better but was nervous with how long they would last. I think if they reinforced the back a bit more (like the pinbits ones) they would be more durable. Just to vulnerable to not have a backing on them to hold things tight.

#35 9 years ago

THe problem with the hooked is that the flashers are mounted on the switch bracket which gets a lot of vibration. Perhaps they should be mounted how the original flashers are done.

Rob

#36 9 years ago

Hey Guys.
Since it came up if anyone has an issue with a pcb or is worried about it - let me know and I will send a spare pcb no problem. I am working on Gen 3 bolts to dissipate heat better and relocate the power attaching points higher toward the center so less stress on the lower leds / solder joints. Keeping 40+ leds going is a tough task. I want to keep the look of a concert light battery and if I cant they will be retired. Gen 2 pcbs have been better solder joint wise (small stepper board in line) but I still think we can do better.

#37 9 years ago

Anyone that has switched to pinpits want to sell me their old ones? Even if not 100% working. Shoot me a PM

3 years later
#38 5 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Anyone that has switched to pinpits want to sell me their old ones? Even if not 100% working. Shoot me a PM

Still want them? I can't get them to work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-lightning-bolt-flashers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.