• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by u2sean
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hey all, great forum!

I hope someone can help and this is an easy fix a newb like me can solve.

I have a Stern AC/DC Premium model which is pretty much brand new.

However, lately when the ball is in play, the game acts as if the ball has drained, counts the bonuses and such, then ready's a ball into the shooter lane.

I'm guessing this is some sort of optics issue in the ball trough? Or perhaps the shaker motor shaking a ball in the ball trough to register a drain?

Not sure.

Anyway, really hope someone could help me out here with some info and that I can fix this myself rather than call someone in.

Thanks guys.

#2 8 years ago

Loose connector on your trough opto board(s). It's a common problem, and an annoying one. Just lift the PF, and tighten your connectors there and you should be good to go.

I just had this happen for the first time last week, btw...

#3 8 years ago

There is a thread on this somewhere.
Yes it's to do with the ball trough.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just lift the PF,

Or if you're lazy like me, just reach through the coin door.

#5 8 years ago

Okay, thanks guys.

I'll try track down the other threads about this problem.

Is there an image anywhere which shows what these connections look like and where they are located? I'm very new.

Also, by reconnect do you mean to do so by hand (like plugging something in) or do I need some sort of tool to tighten it?

Thanks again.

#7 8 years ago

A little confidence will go a long way. I was right where you are two years ago. This one is really a cinch, and like Timebandit said, you can even reach through the coin door to do it. It's a green circuit board on the bottom end of the playfield, just above the coin door and slightly to the right, if I recall. The connector is just a white plastic piece with wires coming out of it that slides onto the green circuit board next to the metal trough where the balls sit, waiting to enter the game. Just push the connector back into place and you'll be good to go. If you still have problems, I can send a pic, but my powers of descriptive language should be enough to see you through. Let me know, brother!

#8 8 years ago

I hate when the f**cking Australians beat me to it. It's unfair, really...it's already tomorrow over there, so they have a whole day's head start on us. Sucks.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I hate when the f**cking Australians beat me to it. It's unfair, really...it's already tomorrow over there, so they have a whole day's head start on us. Sucks.

Haha, exactly, I'd already seen this comment of yours. You should see what happens in about two hours time. Was nice knowing you Beelze..

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's a common problem, and an annoying one.

Thanks, annoying as in it happens a lot?

#13 8 years ago

Great, thanks for the links TimeBandit and the detailed reply beelzeboob.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from soundwave:

Thanks, annoying as in it happens a lot?

No...as in it's a stupid flaw and shouldn't happen at all. And as luck would have it, it usually happens when you're in the middle of an epic game or ball.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

Haha, exactly, I'd already seen this comment of yours. You should see what happens in about two hours time. Was nice knowing you Beelze..

You're melting my brain.

#15 8 years ago

I've seen on these particular boards where even a connector reseat didn't solve it. You may need to reflow the solder on the opto board associated with the connector pins. Start with the reseat of the connector, if that doesn't fix it, consider removing the boards from both sides, touching (briefly) a hot soldering iron to the individual pools of solder on the board for those pins of the connector.

Then you are off to the races for sure.

You can also replace the boards for like $30, I think but the reseat, then reflow of the solder has always fixed it on my games.
(It is an annoying problem when it happens)
Good Luck!

#16 8 years ago

Thanks visi0n.

I think any solder work will require a call to the repairman!

#17 8 years ago

Solder replacement as stated above. Also replace the connectors with locking ones and trifucon pins so they make solid contact. This will take care of it for good. If you're not up for doing that, just reseat the connectors as a temporary fix. It'll come back eventually but in a home environment if it doesn't bother you that's certainly the easiest "fix".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-game-ending-while-ball-in-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.