New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 57217)

ac/dc premium electricity

By chestil

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by oga83
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi to all , I ve just ordered ac/dc premium pinball from USA (i live in Greece) .My problem is that the electricity is tottaly different here (USA :110 volt 60 Hz , Greece : 220 volt 50 Hz) . As i informed it is not enough to place a converter 220 volt to 110 volt because the hz do not change and this is important to make the pinball work . So they told me that the best way is to use a Step Down Voltage Transformer from 220 volt to 12 volt and after this to use an inverter 12 volt to 110 volt . With this way i will manage to change the 50 Hz to 60 Hz .
Two questions :
1) Is that the best way you think to solve the problem ?
2) If yes , do you know how many watt has to be the transformer and of course the inverter in order to dont have problems using this pinball ?

Thanks

#2 7 years ago

Congratulations! Great game. (I have no idea about electrics)

#3 7 years ago

can't you just use a international plug and plug it straight in

#4 7 years ago

Unfortunately all these plugs change only volts and not the Hz , of course many machines dont have problems because they can use both 50Hz and 60 Hz , but some devices have to use exact Hz (like watches , motors etc) .Stern company says that this pinball has to use exact 110 volt , 60 Hz in order to work ...

#5 7 years ago

We have 50Hz 240v in the UK and there are plenty of Stern machines about. They make models for European export which are configured for 240v/50Hz.

I don't have a Stern machine but I assumed that in this day and age they would use switch-mode power supplies (like a computer, say) and not linear power supplies. With a switch-mode power supply you can plug it into any voltage / frequency.

#6 7 years ago

Contact Stern support, they will set you straight, if no one else knows, but it must be able to be done as there are tons of Sterns scattered around Europe.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from xenon325i:

We have 50Hz 240v in the UK and there are plenty of Stern machines about. They make models for European export which are configured for 240v/50Hz.
I don't have a Stern machine but I assumed that in this day and age they would use switch-mode power supplies (like a computer, say) and not linear power supplies. With a switch-mode power supply you can plug it into any voltage / frequency.

it would be unbelievable if this dint work, surely stern has this added into their pins

#8 7 years ago

I thought there was some kind of security chip looking for either 50hz or 60hz depending on the country code?

I'm sure that some UK pinheads had issues when importing grey games and had to 'cheat' the circuitry to get the games to work.

#9 7 years ago

it's done to stop direct buying from the states. there are some ways around it but I'm not at liberty to tell you to look at hack boards.

#10 7 years ago

Stern company has fixed some pieces for ac/dc pro (not premium) to sell in Europe and as i searched these pinballs are made in China (ac/dc premium and maybe ac/dc pro for USA are made in USA) .They arranged these pieces to take the CE certificate that must have for Europe and they putted a chip in all USA pinballs in order to dont work with Europe electricity .(they can read only 60HZ)
If you look at Stern advertisment they say it ...
So there still a problem
Look at the site : http://www.sternpinball.com/Games/acdc-premium.aspx
Any solution ?
Thanks

#11 7 years ago

Look here the ac/dc pro pinball for Europe in China market (With CE certificate for Europe).
This is very bad for European pinballers ...
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/895952498/ACDC_pinball_gambling_game_machine.html

#12 7 years ago

Most foreign 220-240 volt electricity is generated at 50 Hz (50 cycles per second) alternating current. This cycle difference will cause analog clocks and timing circuits that use alternating current as a timing base to keep incorrect time. However, most modern electronic equipment including cellular phone chargers, computers, printers, stereos, tape and CD players, VCR/DVD players, CRT, Plasma, or LCD TVs and Monitors, etc. will not be affected by the difference in cycles.

http://www.220-electronics.com/voltage-converter-buying-guide.html < ^that from there.

I would check Stern to be safe though.

#13 7 years ago

Some other guys told me that they checked Stern and they told them that they should not buy this product for Europe and it is locked for 50Hz only ...

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from chestil:

50 Hz to 60 Hz

The frequency is a factory parameter that only Stern can change (encrypted in flash).
It is used for 0-cross-check detection to switch coils without energy feedback (otherwise mosfet drivers would not last long).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 249.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside