IMG_2602 (resized).jpg
B11C2384-7851-4D17-8E0C-330D2BE7C108 (resized).jpeg
20210621_185359 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210530_113134 (resized).jpg
IMG_7934 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #665 Explains ACDC rules Posted by alveolus (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rum-Z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#912 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

But you have versatility with lcd. I can chooses dots or smoothing from hires or scan. With led, you are limited to dots only.

Exactly. I like DOTS XL mode on all of my pins that are ColorDMD LCD panel equipped (AFM,MM, & IJ). I've got an ColorDMD LED panel in my CV, and the colors really do "POP" as they're so vivid, but you're stuck with dots with quite a bit of black in between them. Therefore, I prefer the LCD panels.

However, any color display (whether LCD or LED) is better than no color display IMO.

1 week later
#942 3 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Stern just Posted new code on Facebook 1.70

Way cool! I can't wait to see what's in it. I'm looking forward to my Luci VE arriving even more now.

3 weeks later
#1006 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If Stern were shipping games with clear plastic crossover ramps people would be modifying them with metal and accuse Stern of cost cutting. I'm happy with my metal crossover ramp.

Hilarious, but true!

2 months later
#1165 3 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I got through half of Encore, cashing out an 84 and 134 million jackpot in that mode alone during it.
This was an explosive round of play tonight.

Super-impressive indeed. I just got a Luci VE and I've been loving it, but man... it's been kicking my butt. I think the most songs I've made it through are only 4 or 5. Encore seems impossible to get to at the moment, but I'll keep on pushing the start button.

#1170 3 years ago

Hey fellow AC/DC Premium owners, I'm trying to drum up some customers to go in with me on another run of CPR9999's AC/DC Roof Mod. I think we need a minimum of 10 people to make another run worth his while. Is there anyone who'd like to fill that triangular gap behind their stage with this mod like I would? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-lighted-roof-mod

3 weeks later
#1194 3 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Can I ask the group a question.
I'm looking to get an AC/DC premium next month after a move. The prices for nice premiums and the new Luci versions are roughly the same, give or take. I'm inclined to get a new Luci, but is there any compelling reason to look out for nice original premiums instead, if prices are relatively equivalent? I know the cabinet art is different, but is there anything different with the pf or mechanics between the two, best anyone knows?
Thanks in advance!

I bought a new Luci VE. I liked the ability to take out the lower playfield window from above in order to clean and work on the lower playfield (instead of lifting the playfield and dropping the lower playfield from underneath). However, with the removable playfield window comes the work of having to level it every time you remove it, and even when you take delivery of it from Stern. I don't know if the removable lower playfield window would be viewed as a plus for everyone, but it was for me.

By the way, as to the post above mine: The Luci VE and other AC/DC VEs run on the old board system that they were originally manufactured with, not the Spike system.

#1206 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Mine was perfect out of the box, haven’t had to make any adjustments to the window.

My window was low, except for the one spot where someone at the factory accidentally put two rubber washers under one screw, LOL.. that one spot was quite high. The window came out and the height adjusted easy enough though. In my case, I didn't seem to need any additional metal washers to level out my window. The factory rubber washers were enough, I just had to pay attention to not over tighten the screws and compress the rubber washers too much.

Man, I love this game so far. I can't believe I waited so long to get one.

2 months later
#1277 3 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I agree but don't enjoy banging the cab. Just wondering what other owners were doing.

I also slap the side of my cab. It's the exact same thing I've done for years with my Creature From The Black Lagoon when the ball comes down from the right orbit. On my AC/DC the shot up the right orbit is pretty much the toughest shot in the game for me due to it's tightness (or at least it feels tight to me). I have to be spot on to nail it, so I never wanted to mess around with the ball guide in that area and risk making that shot even tighter.

I should note, if I make that loop with a lot of speed, the ball will feed directly to the right flipper and miss the sling, but it's gotta be traveling real fast. As such, it's tough to make combos out of that right loop, but I've done it.

1 month later
#1299 3 years ago
Quoted from Shadrac:

Hi guys,
Does the cannon is able to fire the ball for a full left orbit or left ramp on your machine? On my Premium, the cannon seems to be a bit weak...

I've never tried shooting for the ramp or the loop. Not even accidentally. I've only shot for the bell (I can hit that with enough gusto to register it no problem) or the lit drop target(s) on the AC/DC bank. I don't think the power of the cannon shot would be sufficient for making the ramp or the loop, and I don't think that the shot angles are quite right either. There was also never any scoring incentive to shoot for the ramp or loop with the cannon that outweighed going for the bell or the AC/DC drop targets.

I might go home after work and try shooting for the ramp and loop just to see what happens. I imagine nothing will happen other than Steve Ritchie telling me my aim is horrible.

1 week later
#1328 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Should the Premium VE have this spring???

I always wondered this as well, as I do get more than my fair share of SDTM drains from the bell shot.

#1353 3 years ago

I'd buy one to have as a spare, just in case.

1 week later
#1365 2 years ago

I bought the Pinbits lightning bolts within the last 6 months for my Luci VE, and I love 'em. Pinbits is still around.

#1370 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The pinbits are better because of the back flash ... in my opinion. Love em.

Yep, the back flash. That's why I chose them. I love 'em too.

2 months later
#1475 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

additionally I get quite a few cannon shots that land above the targets so they don't go down

AC/DC drops, and just Stern drops in general, are notorious for being able to take a hard direct shot and just stand there stiff as a board, and not drop, so I don't think your shots are going above the target, I just think you're seeing Stern drop targets being Stern drop targets. I had this issue with my AC/DC Luci VE, and after a few months of tweaking, I got them to drop 99% of the time (this includes the TNT bank which had the same problem).

First off, I don't think the angled face of the drop targets help them drop at all. I think this prevents airballs pretty well, but if you had a high speed camera, what I think you'd see is a hard fast direct shot hitting the drop square, then the angled face of the target riding the ball upward as the ball moves forward after impact. The drop target can't drop because the angled face is being lifted by the ball. In cases where the ball rebounds away quickly, I think the angled face of the drop target allows the ricocheting ball to simply drop the target back onto the edge it was sitting on. This is why light hits and edge hits seem to drop the targets more effectively than a head on hit. To counter this behavior, I placed .060" shim strips under the rear mounts of the drop target assemblies, which effectively tilted the drop targets back, making the relationship of the angled faces to the playfield much shallower. This helped a lot, but not enough.

I then took all the drop target springs and I unhooked one end of the spring, then reattached the spring to the spring hook about 1/5 to 1/4 of the way down the spring, effectively making the spring stronger. This spring adjustment and the shims got me to almost perfect drop behavior.

Your mileage may vary with these mods, but I just wanted to let you know what worked for me. Note that I didn't come up with all of this. I believe I found these ideas buried in this AC/DC thread, and tried them out with success.

I wish you good luck and a happy new year. AC/DC is brutal. BTW, I get quite a bit of SDTM drains from the bell lane with perfect leveling. I can't help you there.

#1480 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Also TNT mode is my new favorite. Crazy good in music and callouts, and if you survive the dangerous shots, it’s crazy lucrative.

Agreed, great mode! I wait to start TNT until I can bring Album multiball into it, and I like to have some VIP passes to use for the detonator target when all the drops are down. Love it!!!!

#1482 2 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

That right orbit is the one shot I can make consistently. It’s no coincidence that it’s now my favorite shot in the game.

Ugghhh... I envy you! I can make the right orbit fine, UNTIL I need it for a song change, hahaha.. then it kills me!

1 week later
#1505 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Anyone had success with adjusting the center drop to stop bricking so much?

Back on post #1475 I made a rather long winded (sorry, lol) explanation on how I improved the performance of all the drops on my Luci VE.

#1507 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Word. I’m gonna mess with the spring a bit. The other ones on mine are fine, it just the middle one on a perfect shot from the cannon. Sucks when I have a 200mm song JP ready to collect. Haha

Yes, that is horrible! Insta-rage when you nail it perfectly square with a huge song jackpot and it just stands there, LOL.

1 week later
#1530 2 years ago

I got 11 out of 12 songs once... only once. I'm lucky if I get 6 most games. It's pretty brutal.

#1533 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Man I bet your heart was racing that game! EBs are too hard to come by on this so if I do it it will be from a 4 ball game max.

Yeah, I was just having a great game, and I got to 10 songs and was like "Holy shite... I got a chance at Encore". Then the nerves hit, lol. I got to song 11 and my shot making ability went into the crapper. That was my one best game in about 1,200 I've played on my AC/DC Luvi VE. I don't know if the stars will ever align and allow me to get to Encore.

1 week later
#1560 2 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Hi guys, I tried searching through this thread for my answer but gave up, so I'll just ask it. Do any of you seem to break the rubbers behind the TNT targets a lot? I've replaced these things 3 times, which is 3 times more then any of the other rubbers. Any better solutions to this problem, like post sleeves?

Thanks in advance!
Brian

I've been through 3 sets in 9 months of ownership. The ball beats the heck out of those rubbers when the drops are down. I just keep putting fresh black rings on, but they're a pain to get too as you have to do some disassembly of the TNT detonator and plastics around it. It's hard enough to stretch the black rubbers over the post arrangements, so it seems like it would be really tough to almost impossible to stretch equivalent sized Superband rings, if the Superband rings have the same toughness of install that their flipper rings have.

#1574 2 years ago

You can take those flipper rubbers off, rotate them, and put them back on so that worn area at the tip is near the flipper shaft where it won't touch the ball to get 2x the life out of them.

#1580 2 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I've completed 9 songs on three different occasions.....all of those games I had Jam MB at least 5 times. When your able to get in a groove of hitting the ramps over and over, it doesn't take long to get back into Jam.

I can loop the left ramp over and over from the left flipper, which is helpful to getting Jam started back up. I need to remember to use that tactic to try to get Jam (at a minimum) going during every song.

3 months later
#1859 2 years ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Am I the only one who thinks AC/DC pinball is better than Metallica?

I dunno... I have them both, sitting right next to each other. The Beavis and Butthead of pinball machines. I think they compliment each other wonderfully, and I jump from one to the other frequently. Love 'em both. Don't make me choose! LOL

3 months later
#1955 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I'm surprised nobody has bothered to fix the colordmd rom for ACDC. Maybe they thought the next update was around the corner and were waiting for that?

Rob

I've thought the same.

1 week later
#1990 2 years ago
Quoted from EightBallTexas:

Hi All,
I posted in the Luci room and need some help on a little mod.
Does anyone know if there is a sticker mod for the track that crosses over the PF on the way to the cannon?
Thanks.

I've got this one from Pinball Life:

https://www.pinballlife.com/crossover-ramp-train-decal-for-acdc-premium-and-le-machines.html

#1992 2 years ago
Quoted from EightBallTexas:

Thanks I remember now that one...is it good or are there others out there?

I like it. I don't know of any others out there. Maybe someone will chime in if they know.

1 month later
#2193 2 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

The only thing I can think of are keychain fobs.

That's precisely what they are.

1 month later
#2331 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Damn!! So close. I’m still stuck at 8-9 songs. So hard. I watched a stream the other day where a player could trap after a made ramp and backhand the ramp over and over. Too bad my game isn’t setup like that. I would’ve made encore 10 times over by now! Haha

I saw the same video. I can't do that either. I was like, man, what's up this???

1 month later
#2458 1 year ago

What do you guys think the odds are of us seeing the long awaited code update that gives us a finished OI Mania award and hopefully (fingers crossed) some halfway to Encore mini-wizard mode in 2020?

5 months later
#2677 1 year ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Can someone post a picture of their left spinner switch please? My spinner switch blade gets stuck on the plastic. I think the extra layer of the fluorescent protector has raised it up just slightly too far, but I’d appreciate a pic if possible.

Here ya go mate. Pic of my switch lever up and down. In the down position it just barely touches the corner of the plastic with a plastic protector installed beneath. The spinner works fine, although I do remember having to tweak the switch lever and perhaps the tilt of the switch via the mounting bracket in order to get ot to work after the plastic protectors were installed.

I forgot about this until I saw your post. I remember playing my first game after the plastic protectors were installed and the spinner not spinning or registering correctly, and having to pull the glass in frustration to have a look.

20200703_072428 (resized).jpg20200703_072402 (resized).jpg
#2679 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The right side is broken and the left is about to go too.

These 2 rubbers behind the TNT targets on my Luci break more often than any other rubbers on any of my other machines, and they're a pain to replace. I use PRW rubbers from Marco as I like the way they feel/play. Perhaps I should try some Titans for these 2 rings.

#2681 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The best thing to do is to double up on each side. That way it’s two rings stacked up taking the brunt of the balls force and not one. They last way longer.

Good idea! Thanks Chuckwurt.

#2692 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So what do we need to do to get lyman to finish that mini wizard mode he talked? Love this game, but it needs something obtainable for us mediocre players.

That would be nice along with completion of the Oi Mania mode. Sucks to currently collect the Oi Mania award and nothing happen at all, lol.

2 weeks later
#2726 1 year ago

I reached Oi Mania last night. I then forced myself to exclaim "Oi!" every time I hit a switch for the next 30 seconds. It would be so much easier for the machine to do it for me.

#2728 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I missed the boat on Oi Mania. How do you reach it?

Oi Mania is buried pretty deep in the "Tunes N Stuff" awards that are given out for completing the 3 Devil Horn insert shots which lights the Tunes N Stuff award insert at the Juke Box saucer/scoop at the rear of the playfield. I can't remember how deep it is, but it's gotta be at least 6 or 7 awards deep. There's probably a list somewhere. The awards start with Hold Bonus and are linear, so you go through them in the same order each time.

#2730 1 year ago
Quoted from jester523:

i'm not good enough to get to Oi Mania, but it's pretty ridiculous that they let that slip through testing.

Actually, it's not a mistake from my understanding. It's one of the few bits of incomplete code on the game. I think Lyman plans on getting back to it sometime and completing it. Lyman, are you open to bribes?

#2737 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredso:

This is exactly what I've been doing, it's just a shame I'm missing those songs.

Have you thought about posting the game for a trade with a Pro owner (plus some cash on the Pro owner's end) who might want to try the lower playfield?

#2740 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Having owned the premium, i really enjoy the gameplay of standup targets in this game. That said, isn’t there a setting to disable the lower playfield and/or can you just remove the ball from the lower pf and the game will auto disable?

I just looked through all the options/settings of my Luci VE and I didn't see an option to disable the lower playfield. Not that I would, as I like it, but I'm surprised that apparently this option is not in there.

#2742 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not in the feature adjustments either? That’s surprising.

I looked in both the ACDC specific adjustments as well as the standard Stern adjustments. I wouldn't mind someone double checking me to ensure I'm not incorrect. I find this surprising as well.

#2744 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I wonder if the ball trick will work?

Good question. Somebody try it! I would think somebody shopped their lower playfield and accidentally forgot to put the ball in when they remounted it and fired up a game. Where's that guy? LOL

#2746 1 year ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Would be worth trying. My guess (admittedly, as someone who bought a NIB Pro Vault because a) no lower field I dislike, b) no angus face, and c) nice improved swinging bell), I bet it will error out and flash that it needs a ball on the DMD and won’t start a new game.

If I was betting, that would be my bet.

#2766 1 year ago
Quoted from pinrocker:

have an AC/DC Premium LE the Flames would not work on right side of game by top of right ramp it is a Part#520-5332-00 Flame PCB. bought game second hand it didnt work talked to Stern Tech support to see what ran board because part is not in playfield parts list, they where a big help in troubleshooting, but eventually found out it could not had been wired for power from factory what do you guys think. see attached photo-Top connector red wire 5V to PCB Flame Board,bottom connector is supposed to be 5V from J16 #8 I/O Board. No 5V wire anywhere from I/O board. Thoughts anyone.

Wow, looks like whoever made that wire loom at the factory forgot the kind of important red wire. That LED flame board could never have worked. I think you're going to have to get a spool of red wire and run that wire yourself.

4 months later
#2839 9 months ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I thought I had a lighting issue on my premium.

I have this exact issue on my Luci VE. It sometimes affects the juke box lights as shown in the video, and sometimes random insert lights (most often the TNT inserts and the right most blue circle Thunderstruck insert). Often when the cannon rotates and fires and perhaps sometimes during bonus countdowns. I sent a video to Chaz back in the the day, and he told be that wasn't normal, and we swapped the main CPU board, which didn't help, and then I replaced various other LED board on my own, just to see if it would help, but eventually just gave up, as nothing I tried would prevent this, so I'm assuming it's a bug, and if it is a bug, I was always wondering why nobody else ever brought this up, LOL.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rum-Z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside