AC-DC-luci-2 (resized).jpg
AC-DC-luci-4 (resized).jpg
AC-DC-luci-1 (resized).jpg
AC-DC-luci-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #665 Explains ACDC rules Posted by alveolus (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mach5Amps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2139 4 years ago

First post from a new guy. I ordered my NIB AC/DC Premium VE on Friday, and am super excited. It's my first pinball machine, and will be joining a cabinet multi-game (Pac-Man, Galaga, etc.) and Foosball table in the gameroom (which still needs to be finished being finished).

I'm a huge AC/DC fan (I've got my AC/DC belt buckle rocking at the front of my pants at work today, as usual), a big guitar and drum nut (I have an awesome Gibson SG Angus Young signature edition with lightening bolt inlays that will look great hanging on the wall near this pin), and have always had a hankering for a pinball machine. While I've never been a gamer or giant pinball fanatic, I grew up with a kid that lived down the street, who's Dad had a pinball machine in their home. This was back in the 1970's, and as far as I know, was pretty novel for the time. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of that machine. But, I do remember dropping many quarters in PinBot on base, late 80's, while in the Army.

I got an e-mail saying it had shipped, and I couldn't be more excited. There was a Luci VE at a local shop, new, but demo on their floor. I managed to get the wife on board, but couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on Luci. With a wife and two 'young teen' daughters, I have an obligation to set an example, I thought. So, when I found the NIB Prem VE online - I jumped at it.

I already have a couple mods on order, but as a newbie & not sure what I'm getting myself into, I'll probably go real slow. So, I'm lurking, learning the lingo, and counting the hours till the delivery truck pulls up at the curb.

Sorry for the intro post, but I'm just very excited about getting this machine.

#2147 4 years ago

Thanks for the welcome...

Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

I was in your shoes a few months ago. If your scroll back you will see the addiction that occurred...lol
If you need my top 5 let me know. Actually top 10.

Those are pretty close to the same shoes. And of course, hit me with your top 10.

I'm not in a modding hurry, though I do wonder if stuff will start to fade away since this pin isn't still in production. Is that a thing to worry about (currently available mods gradually becoming unavailable)? Like I said, first time noob here.

Quoted from mbwalker:

Have the subwoofer ready to hook up when the pin arrives!

Alright, I'll use this as an opening for asking for opinions.

Pinnovators (SAMsub board OR PinPAC, one of those with external sub) vs. PinWoofer (Powered Super Kit)... Looking for subjective opinions on sound improvement. Or, can you do both? Start with PinWoofer, then add an external sub/headphone jack/external mute & volume with a PinPAC?

Separately, why do there have to be so many different interactive BackBox lighting kits. So hard to choose.

#2157 4 years ago

Here you go. I am not a video guru but it's watchable.

Tell me what you see you like.

I wish those lighted band covers were still a thing. Missed it by this much (Maxwell Smart voice). Think if I share that I'm a Wisconsin guy originally, he'd have any secret Badger stash? (I think I remember seeing WI next to him...)

While it's all awesome, I really dig that shooter lane cover thing from Lighted Pinball Mods. Something to add to the list... Sweet machine!

I also love the framed/lit spare backlight. I have a neon sign and some posters, but that's super cool.

#2158 4 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Let me know if you have interest

Umm, damn. Either all these replies are paid endorsements or relatives, OR your stuff's pretty good.

If it's the latter, I'm adding you to my list. (Though, honestly, you were already penciled in.)

#2160 4 years ago

U mean he apron outside magnetic LUCI lights?

Those are cool too, but I was taking about the stage cover lighted roof thing, and the "lighted shooter cover", from cpr9999 and lightedpinballmods, respectively.

And, yeah, it says Saukville, WI next to cpr's posts. I'm a Badger native and alum, so seeing WI is always cool. But I'm a day late and a dollar short (or 45 days short, really).

CPR: If you happen to see this post, that was some really nice work! Really nice.

As for the Lighted Shooter Cover... I've sent them an email, as I don't see it on their site.

#2165 4 years ago

Alright!! I hope this comes as great news for at least 8 of you!

cpr9999 has said that he'd consider making a special holiday run of 10 AC/DC Lighted Roof Band Mods, if he can get 8 more pre-orders (he's already got me, and one other).

See them here (as well as several spots earlier in this very thread)...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ac-dc-lighted-roof-band-mod

How 'bout it? Who else is in on wanting to catch the boat they missed previously? Reply, and I'll help him keep track. It could be a 1 time only, special Xmas run (same price as before), looking at in time for very early December - IF we can get from 2 to 10!

Let there be rock!

#2175 4 years ago
Quoted from Mach5Amps:

Alright!! I hope this comes as great news for at least 8 of you!
cpr9999 has said that he'd consider making a special holiday run of 10 AC/DC Lighted Roof Band Mods, if he can get 8 more pre-orders (he's already got me, and one other).
See them here (as well as several spots earlier in this very thread)...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ac-dc-lighted-roof-band-mod
How 'bout it? Who else is in on wanting to catch the boat they missed previously? Reply, and I'll help him keep track. It could be a 1 time only, special Xmas run (same price as before), looking at in time for very early December - IF we can get from 2 to 10!
Let there be rock!

Any suggestions on other effective ways to get the word out would be appreciated. We're up to 3, need 10 (so 7 more):
1. cpr9999's existing request that he had in hand.
2. Mach5Amps
3. LukyDuck

There's gotta be 7 more out there that want to cover that spot with a sweet mod.

Bonus personal touch, here's a picture of me at AC/DC Lane in Melbourne:

AC_DC_Lane_Melbourne (resized).jpgAC_DC_Lane_Melbourne (resized).jpg
#2176 4 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Believe me, there is not enough in it to pay anyone for endorsements!
We are here to help guys reach their pinball audio goals.
Let's keep the ACDC party going - no party poopers!

Order placed! Can't wait to hear it. Now, to call about my machine. Still haven't heard anything about delivery timing...

I said I was going slow, but given I don't even have my pin yet:
1. Lighted speakers
2. Speaker insert thingies
3. Replacement Lightning Bolts
4. Topper
5. PinWoofer Powered Super Kit

What the heck has gotten into me?!?!?

#2198 4 years ago
Quoted from Mach5Amps:

Order placed! Can't wait to hear it. Now, to call about my machine. Still haven't heard anything about delivery timing...
I said I was going slow, but given I don't even have my pin yet:
1. Lighted speakers
2. Speaker insert thingies
4. Topper
What the heck has gotten into me?!?!?

Well, crap. I guess I just don't know how to do slow. Me+Computer+Weekend = Lack of patience.
6. Translucent Apron
7. Lighted Apron Kit
8. TNT Detonator Lighting
9. Bell Log
10. Cannon Mod
11. Illuminated Flipper Buttons

I still have several more on my list, but, damn. There's too much out there, and it all seems like good fun stuff.

As for the pin itself, I've left voicemail Friday and dropped an e-mail this morning, but still don't know timing for delivery. Going nuts.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

No idea. Haha. First thing I did when i got my AC/DC was play it.

I can't wait to play it! I'll probably end up just playing it, leaving it untouched by anything from this list, until I'm off work over Thanksgiving weekend.

Quoted from alveolus:

The best mod is customizing the song list with pinball browser.
Gotta have me some Shoot to Thrill.
I also think that mirror blades are an underrated mod.

If only there could be more songs! I've got a whole list. Oh, and Mirror Blades are on the list (It's been suggested to save that for near last to avoid lifting the play field too many times after they're installed. Is that a smart approach?).

#2203 4 years ago

Just got the call from the freight company!!! Delivery tomorrow! Oooooooooo, I'm excited.

Just scheduled a vacation day. It's curbside delivery, so I gotta hand truck it from the curb to the basement, then set it up, then, what?

Other than just unboxing and setting it up, any pointers on initial check-out or whatever? First timer, here...

Thanks!!

#2207 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Inspect the balls closely. If rusted, or pitted, replace immediately. Can polish them up too to get any residue off them. One ball is for the mini playfield. You’ll need to remove 4 screws and take a bracket off to get the ball in there. Follow the instructions that should be with the game.
After you play for a bit the ball attached to the bell may work its way loose and drag the playfield. You’ll need to retighten it really good to get it to stay. Just screws on, but kinda hard to get the leverage you’ll really need to tighten it.

Great, thanks for the suggestions.

Think it's worth being preemptive, and just throw some LocTite on the bell's ball's threads while I'm doing initial set-up? Or would that be bad for some reason?

#2209 4 years ago

Whooo Whoot!

Now, to get it to the basement. Eventually.

46E0CB3A-6932-4C1B-BD10-51D8CB830842 (resized).jpeg46E0CB3A-6932-4C1B-BD10-51D8CB830842 (resized).jpeg
#2216 4 years ago

He so needs your super kit. My video does show the sound and it's amazing.

Already ordered, and received. Will be installing at some point. I plan to play it as is for a while to ensure I have no more issues.

Quoted from bsobie:

Which carrier delivered your AC/DC?

It was a company called Dayton Freight. Curbside delivery, though the guy did offer to help get it to the garage - but I declined.

#2217 4 years ago

So, I alluded to issues above. After getting it to the basement (which was a fricken bear - the stairway has a landing with a 90deg turn), and getting it set-up, I came across the following:

1. Cut wire in the harness with the start button. No biggie, stripped back the wire ends, twisted, soldered, shrink wrap, done. It looked like that Yellow w/Red Stripe wire didn't go to anything anyway. Maybe it's for optional equipment (like shaker)? See pic 1 & 2, before and after fix.

2. The Start button switch/light was pulled out and needed reinstalled. I see now that there is a harness retainer just to the right of the midpoint of the arrow pointing to the shrink wrapped repair (Picture 2). My guess is that the whole start button wiring harness is supposed to go through that retainer loop (can anyone confirm that?). The fact that it wasn't allowed that harness to rub against the play field support skid thing on that side, which probably cut that wire. I'll have to inspect the rest of that harness now that I see that, to see if any other wires rubbed and were damaged.

3. The ribbon wire from the DMD wasn't plugged into the back box board. It was routed down through the hole into the lower cabinet. Took me a while to figure out where it was supposed to be plugged in, because I initially was looking in the cabinet since it was routed to there. But, I figured it out, found J5, plugged it in, and the DMD works fine.

4. The lower play field's right flipper flipped, but was really slow to return to the home position. I adjusted the mechanism underneath, and it now operates normally.

Everyone in the family played it last night. I think it's going to be a winner. We did have the ball get stuck one time, in the "E" lane of the AXE above the bumpers (see picture 3). A decent bump freed it. Seemed like a weird place to stop. Maybe I need to check my play field tilt angle?

Can't wait to get home from work and hit the basement to play, and make sure everything else is behaving normally. Only when I'm sure it's all correct in stock configuration will I start installing any of the mods.

Cut_Wire (resized).jpgCut_Wire (resized).jpgCut_Wire_Repair (resized).jpgCut_Wire_Repair (resized).jpgStuck_Ball_Right_AXE_Lane (resized).jpgStuck_Ball_Right_AXE_Lane (resized).jpg
#2219 4 years ago

Nice job and getting all the accomplished.
Did you say you had already ordered ball baron balls?? if not it's the first thing on the list.
Have fun.

For the life of me I can't think of a witty "She's Got Balls" (not a Luci) or "Big Balls" related reply. But, no, didn't order Baron's balls. Just sticking with the one's it came with for now.

Oh, here's a weak one. What make's Ball Baron Balls 'the greatest balls of all'? Like, why change?

#2222 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I occasionally have balls get stuck in my E lane also. It does not happen very often so I didn’t make any adjustments.
I hope your DMD lasts longer then mine did. I need to contact my distributor about the vertical line. I also had the rubber behind the second T drop target snap.

Yeah, I saw your DMD post. That has to be disappointing. I would hope you shouldn't have any issues getting it replaced under warranty, but still, bummer.

Thanks for the comment about the E lane. I'll keep an eye on it for now, and if it keeps occurring, measure play field tilt and add a half a degree (I guess I should probably measure it either way, but I just want to play).

#2223 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I think the wires that you have the arrows pointed to are for an optional tournament start button.
There is a hole in the front of my machine where it can be mounted if you want it...
If you do want it, you will need one diode and the start button, which is not really expensive...
You might also want a bright white LED to make it stand out, assuming you like this optional button..
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-tournament-button-and-switch-assembly-cabinet-mounting.html[quoted image]

Thanks. Yeah, there are a couple of wires in that loom that just terminate at a female spade connector, so that makes sense. I have a block-off plate in that spot under the start button, and wasn't sure why. Thanks for showing what it's for.

#2230 4 years ago

Reminder for anyone that is without this excellent mod (see pics at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ampgt-ac-dc-lighted-roof-mod)! cpr9999 has stated he'll do another run of 10, in time for Christmas, if and only if I can get him 10 orders. We're up to 3.

1. cpr9999's existing request in hand.
2. mach5amps
3. LukyDuck

Need 4 through 10!

I'm recruiting, but trying to keep it to only once a week to keep from being annoying. Come on, man! You know it's awesome. If you don't already have it, this lighted roof mod is the bomb! Who knows if this opportunity for another run will come up again!

Bonus personal touch... Here's a pic of my Angus Young SG. I've determined it won't fit between the back box and the ceiling in my basement (once it's done). But it'll be hanging somewhere close.

AngusYoungSG (resized).jpgAngusYoungSG (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2237 4 years ago

Just sharing my experiences, in case anyone else sees similar.

My right main play field flipper didn't have a coil sleeve installed. It resulted in a weak flipper that occasionally would get stuck in the actuated position. Put a coil sleeve in, and all is well.

Had a mystery screw show up, and block the "A" lane of the upper AXE lanes. Then, found another mystery screw when installing the coil sleeve. Turns out, the band wall had lost two screws (behind mini-Malcolm). Reinstalled, no harm done.

Back to playing...

77F3C4A5-A8C9-4441-BEA1-86E9D68A7E57 (resized).jpeg77F3C4A5-A8C9-4441-BEA1-86E9D68A7E57 (resized).jpeg
#2239 4 years ago

I installed my translucent apron from Pinball Life last night, along with the lighted apron kit from MI Pinball Refinery. The apron itself required a bit of trimming, as the vertical flange that goes down above the shooter & auto launch assembly was larger than the black original part, and it was impeding the auto launch mechanism.

I think I'm going to open it back up, and move the LEDs a bit, to get them more under the apron decals - so the LED light source is not so obvious when they're doing their lighty lighty thing.

I do have a question that came up while doing this easy install...

The translucent apron that I got did not have the cut-outs for the arch flashers (I think that's what the upright, forward pointing, mounted LEDs are called). So, the black stock apron had two holes for these lights, one on each side at the bottom of the out lanes. I did not cut holes in the translucent apron at those spots. I figured it was translucent, so the light would just go through. However, I can tell the difference in the lighting effect. I'm thinking about cutting away, and putting holes there, but once you do that - you can't undo it.

So, my question is... If you've installed a translucent apron in your premium, do you have holes for those lights (whether the apron came with them, or you cut them)? Or if you have an LE that came with the translucent already, did it come with holes for those lights?

I think I'm going to play it as it is for a while, and decide. But, I'm wondering what others have done.

Thanks!

#2240 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

You will want to make sure that those screws stay in place and the band assembly is mounted correctly. Because if it is not, the band assembly actually holds the back wall of the playfield up at a vertical angle and if that back panel is not at 90 degrees vertical, the ball gate at the top right will not engage properly to stop or release balls, even if that ball gate is mounted correctly to the rear of the playfield. It will also sometimes cause the ball to get stuck on that gate as well in some cases.

Good to know. Thanks. My older daughter had the ball get stuck there last night. I though it was because she shot it weakly, but after reading this I'll have to check it out.

Thanks!

#2249 4 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

One of my favorite bands of all time

Mine too.

I'm putting the PinWoofer system into my machine this weekend. I'll post my initial impressions of the install and the sound afterwards.

I don't know if the Pro can use the same Lighted Roof Mod as the Prem/LE (dimensions related to that back right corner space?), but see the last two or so weeks of this thread - if you know, and/or if you're interested in that mod. If I can recruit enough interest, a run of 10 could be a thing.

#2266 4 years ago

Reminder for anyone that is without this excellent mod (see pics at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ampgt-ac-dc-lighted-roof-mod)! cpr9999 has stated he'll do another run of 10, maybe in time for Christmas, if and only if I can get him 10 orders. We're up to 4!

1. cpr9999's existing request in hand.
2. @mach5amps
3. @LukyDuck
4. @AJB4

Need 5 through 10!

I'm recruiting, but trying to keep it to only once a week to keep from being annoying. Come on, man! You know it's awesome. If you don't already have it, this lighted roof mod is the bomb! Who knows if this opportunity for another run will come up again!

#2271 4 years ago

Excited for the weekend. I'm putting in all the mods I have on hand (except the ones that are already in):
1. Lighted Speaker Kit
2. Speaker Insert Thingies
4. MezelMods Horn Toppers
6. Translucent Apron (already in, but I'm going to cut out a couple holes)
7. Lighted Apron Kit (already in, but I'm going to tweak the LED locations)
8. TNT Detonator Lighting
9. Bell Log (already in)
10. Cannon Mod
11. Illuminated Flipper Buttons
12. Shooter Lane protector
13. Cliffy protector
14. Shaker Kit
15. Homemade Dynamite Sticks w/homemade bracket
16. Secret Playfield Toy w/homemade bracket

I have #17 on order, a mini Angus Young SG from ModFather, for above the AC/DC drop targets, but it's not here yet.

Hmmm... So much for slow.

Maybe I'll post a picture Sunday if I get it all done. Especially of #16, which I hope turns out looking awesome.

By the way, I've played the thing a lot, and have yet to see the TNT Plunger thing do anything. When is it supposed to actuate (other than coil test, which does show it works)?

Thanks.

#2272 4 years ago

Oh, I forgot this. #18. I'm going to try to figure out how to mount this between the horns of the MezelMod's topper...

The duplex outlet is in the picture just as a size reference.

Neon (resized).jpgNeon (resized).jpg
#2277 4 years ago

8 way splitter for all these mods..

Uh oh. 8 way splitter? Maybe I'm not putting in all my mods then, huh? I didn't think of that.

Yeah, my first one too. I think I might be overdoing it.

#2297 4 years ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

Ok, put me.down for one. I'll be #5

Unfortunately, AJB4 dropped out, so you're the new #4. Glad you're in, but dang it, we're only at 4.

1 month later
#2423 4 years ago

My latest install... I need to figure out how to do a better job on homemade mounting brackets. This is a mini-replica of Malcolm Young's Gretsch Jet. Looks good to me! I should have gotten a better picture (mostly lighting issues, couldn't get a clean shot without glare from the flash).

I did also get my PinWoofer system installed. Install was easy, and the sound is night and day better. I'm waiting on some special fasteners from Mouser to be able to put in the lighted speakers and devil chick silhouette things, in addition to the Pyle 4" speakers that are now installed - but that'll probably wait till after drywall/paint.

On that note, I'm progressing on my game room build. I'll be hanging drywall next. The pinball machine will have to stay in the room when I'm doing all this (no realistic other option). So, it's going to be mothballed, wrapped in plastic sheeting and taped, until drywall and paint is done. I'm going to miss playing it.

Malcolm_Young_Gretsch_Guitar_Mod (resized).jpgMalcolm_Young_Gretsch_Guitar_Mod (resized).jpg
2 months later
#2507 4 years ago

The new game room is close enough to done that I took the machine out of its mummy wrap. Despite the plastic sheet and tape, over the fleece blanket wrapped pin, it still looks like it needs a good cleaning. Time to search the forums for tips about cleaning these things. Yup, still noob.

71D47308-7BCD-4530-8C22-12261A8BEB05 (resized).jpeg71D47308-7BCD-4530-8C22-12261A8BEB05 (resized).jpegBDB918EC-4674-4568-8B4A-E6EBFF9C345B (resized).jpegBDB918EC-4674-4568-8B4A-E6EBFF9C345B (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 12.95
12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mach5Amps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-club?tu=Mach5Amps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.