20230908_184110 (resized).jpg
32BE4239-D1D6-42D2-95B4-285777DAC462 (resized).jpeg
AC-DC-luci-2 (resized).jpg
AC-DC-luci-4 (resized).jpg
AC-DC-luci-1 (resized).jpg
AC-DC-luci-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,338 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 67.
#1201 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

More
Biggest reason to get a nice original is better wood on the cabinet and playfields and generally better construction. Stern has gotten REALLY cheap since the original AC/DC came out. As long as you get an original with a clear playfield window, that's the superior option.

Appreciate your insight and advice.
Hard to believe the production of the cabinets and pf's have changed so much over the last 5-6 years that's it's an issue... but I read about it more and more these days as an issue folks are talking about and dealing with. Definitely food for thought on this next purchase, so thank you again.

#1202 5 years ago

I updated my patched 1.70 code to work with my MikeD LCD mod. Anyone else have the mod going into the "welcome to hell" video mode on the mod when they fire the cannon. When I load the cannon, right after I fire it it swaps the the hell video and a few seconds after goes into back into the next video for the song I have selected. Any fix for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#1203 5 years ago

Played a vault last weekend — the ball trajectory was noticeably changed rolling over the window screw heads a number of times. Obviously never had this happening an original.. something to consider.

#1204 5 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Played a vault last weekend — the ball trajectory was noticeably changed rolling over the window screw heads a number of times. Obviously never had this happening an original.. something to consider.

From the factory the window on the vault was sunken. Home users and decent operators used a washer to make the window level, which eliminates this. Sounds like that operator may suck.

#1205 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

From the factory the window on the vault was sunken. Home users and decent operators used a washer to make the window level, which eliminates this. Sounds like that operator may suck.

Mine was perfect out of the box, haven’t had to make any adjustments to the window.

#1206 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Mine was perfect out of the box, haven’t had to make any adjustments to the window.

My window was low, except for the one spot where someone at the factory accidentally put two rubber washers under one screw, LOL.. that one spot was quite high. The window came out and the height adjusted easy enough though. In my case, I didn't seem to need any additional metal washers to level out my window. The factory rubber washers were enough, I just had to pay attention to not over tighten the screws and compress the rubber washers too much.

Man, I love this game so far. I can't believe I waited so long to get one.

#1207 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Man, I love this game so far. I can't believe I waited so long to get one.

Me too - such a fun game, but I'm still waiting due to current lack of space and funds. A Premium VE is tops on my wishlist though!

#1208 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This was at a show - straight from stern. But it wasn’t catching on the window, it was slower rolls over the head of several of the screws. The ball was sinking slightly into the (square?) heads of the screws and that was causing it not to roll straight past.

#1209 5 years ago

Installed the dynamite mod today. Looks great. Good work from Beatmaster

4867794E-8E24-42D3-B82F-B01F9B9F5E20 (resized).jpeg4867794E-8E24-42D3-B82F-B01F9B9F5E20 (resized).jpeg586C79F0-BC73-4959-930F-6B2E9746B21D (resized).jpeg586C79F0-BC73-4959-930F-6B2E9746B21D (resized).jpegD4F0B0DB-41AD-4831-8CD3-F5E0EDE9A6CA (resized).jpegD4F0B0DB-41AD-4831-8CD3-F5E0EDE9A6CA (resized).jpeg
#1210 5 years ago

** Production years to avoid when buying HUO original (non-Vault) AC/DC Premium? **

Hi.

I'm shopping for a HUO example of this title and wondered if there were production years that I should be wary of.

Metallica, for example, had a run with PF's whose paint would chip off. That kind of thing.

Thanks!

#1211 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

** Production years to avoid when buying HUO original (non-Vault) AC/DC Premium? **
Hi.
I'm shopping for a HUO example of this title and wondered if there were production years that I should be wary of.
Metallica, for example, had a run with PF's whose paint would chip off. That kind of thing.
Thanks!

I am unaware of years to avoid. Only problem I know is that the very early ones had a more cloudy window but if I am not mistaking this was only with the LE version and they fixed this prior to the Premium run.

#1212 5 years ago

Hi.
Thanks!

Yeah, a cloudy window to the lower playfield is the only thing I know of to look out for, and that's mostly on the two styles of LE.

#1213 5 years ago

Thank you, R and V, for your helpful replies.

It sounds like there are no production years to avoid.

Whew!

#1214 5 years ago

** Polishing Underside of Lower PF Window? **

Has any of you ever polished the underside of the Underworld window with, say, Novus I?

My impulse, when addressing acrylic that's less than clear, is to polish it - ideally on both sides. Polishing the top of the window is simple enough, but who has polished the underside while the window is in place in the PF? I mean, once you drop the lower PF, is it easy enough to get in there polish that window? Are there any contra-indications? Like, Don't do that because...?

Thanks.

#1215 5 years ago

Has any of you ever polished the underside of the Underworld window with, say, Novus I?
My impulse, when addressing acrylic that's less than clear, is to polish it - ideally on both sides. Polishing the top of the window is simple enough, but who has polished the underside while the window is in place in the PF? I mean, once you drop the lower PF, is it easy enough to get in there polish that window? Are there any contra-indications? Like, Don't do that because...?
Thanks.

I haven't used novus, but I wiped down and waxed the underside of the window.

#1216 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I haven't used novus, but I wiped down and waxed the underside of the window.

Thanks, YZ, for your reply.

#1217 5 years ago

** Mods in Order of Importance? **

I'd love to hear from Premium owners just what mods they consider "must-haves" on their pins.

I take the need for a powered subwoofer for granted.

But what else?

I see the clear cross-over ramp is popular. I don't like additional action figures on the PF particularly, but I do love additional light-show enhancements.

Anyway, a list of your personal favorites would be super helpful!

Thanks.

#1218 5 years ago

Thanks.

Pretty sure the problem is with the clear itself. There are some videos showing how you can use heat to clear the clear, but given that there's acrylic underneath, I haven't grown the balls large enough to try it.

#1219 5 years ago

I'd love to hear from Premium owners just what mods they consider "must-haves" on their pins.
But what else?
I see the clear cross-over ramp is popular. I don't like additional action figures on the PF particularly, but I do love additional light-show enhancements.
Thanks.

Color DMD, speaker lights, and the LED lightning bolts. That's it.

#1220 5 years ago

** Pinstadium Lights: Do They Succeed/Shine in AC/DC? **

Does any of you have a set of Pinstadium lights in your AC/DC?

If so, how would rate their success on this particular playfield? I happen to think they look best on games with *fewer* clear ramps. For example, they shine in SW and they - ahem! - don't shine in TWD. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry if I've posted too many queries so quickly. I'm just excited.

#1221 5 years ago

I love this pin! I hadn’t played it for a week, because a rubber broke and it was in a pain in the ass spot to fix... Finally replaced it and put up 639,...,... Grand champion... It’s not everyday I get to put my initials in any of my pins anymore haha...

#1222 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Color DMD, speaker lights, and the LED lightning bolts.

But I have to say I like the alternate translight and the Flipper Fidelity speaker system with the coin door volume control.

20180329_135736 (resized).jpg20180329_135736 (resized).jpg
#1223 5 years ago

But what else?
Thanks.

Color DMD, Pinbits Lightening Bolt flashers, lighted band roof mod.

My premium has a cloudy lower playfield window, so they are out there. I actually like it because it diffuses the LEDs a little bit which would otherwise be right in your face. Like others have said, you won't be able to polish it because the clouding is due to a reaction between the plastic used on the window and the clearcoat.

#1224 5 years ago

Thanks, V and Boiler, for your replies re: must-have mods.

I thought the lightning-bolt flashers were stock. Did they come stock on later runs? It seems like I've never seen an AC/DC Premium without them.

#1225 5 years ago

Thanks.

Yes, with novus 2.
Note the difference in the window lace reflection

IMG_2714 (resized).JPGIMG_2714 (resized).JPG
#1226 5 years ago

this is mine with the mezel tnt light mod

BC80400E-50C4-48B2-A09E-976016773790 (resized).jpegBC80400E-50C4-48B2-A09E-976016773790 (resized).jpeg
#1227 5 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Yes, with novus 2.

Hi, Toads.

Wow!

Helpful photo!

Does the polished window become clearer or just polished? I mean, if the acrylic opacifies, no amount of polishing would help, correct? If the polishing *does* help, then perhaps much of the perceived clouding of the window can actually be polished out, etc.

Thanks for your time!

#1228 5 years ago

Thanks, V and Boiler, for your replies re: must-have mods.
I thought the lightning-bolt flashers were stock. Did they come stock on later runs? It seems like I've never seen an AC/DC Premium without them.

The lightning bolts are stock, but from the factory they just have an incandescent bulb behind them that goes off in the wimpiest way possible. The LED mod ones light up with LEDs all over the fact of the bolts as you would expect.

#1229 5 years ago

Hi, Toads.
Wow!
Helpful photo!
Does the polished window become clearer or just polished? I mean, if the acrylic opacifies, no amount of polishing would help, correct? If the polishing *does* help, then perhaps much of the perceived clouding of the window can actually be polished out, etc.
Thanks for your time!

It will only help if the under side is scratched up. If it's cloudy that is on the top from the clear. Big thing to note though when looking at used games. Is the window cloudy or just dirty. Some owners are afraid to take the lower PF off and don't clean there. It's super easy to do and takes all of 5 mins but it can look intimidating. I take mine off every couple hundred of plays. By that time it does have a light coating of pinball dust already there.

When buying used you should be OK with a prem as very few had a cloudy window but some did so just check it out first. It will be obvious.

For mods:
- External sub
- Bass drum covers for the diverter coils
- Pinbits Lightening bolt flashers (their are flashers behind the stock plastics but they aren't great)
- Red apron with the interactive lights that integrate with the canon flasher. Makes a cool strobe effect when the cannon is ready.
- Shaker (some don't like them but I enjoy it on this pin)
- Roof top mod (if you can still find one) as they cover that ugly hole in the back right corner as well as add lighting for the band members
- mantis protectors for the scoops

#1230 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

It will only help if the under side is scratched up. If it's cloudy that is on the top from the clear. Big thing to note though when looking at used games. Is the window cloudy or just dirty. Some owners are afraid to take the lower PF off and don't clean there. It's super easy to do and takes all of 5 mins but it can look intimidating. I take mine off every couple hundred of plays. By that time it does have a light coating of pinball dust already there.
When buying used you should be OK with a prem as very few had a cloudy window but some did so just check it out first. It will be obvious.<snip>

Thanks, '85Vette, for your help. I'm encouraged to know that the window can be polished without *too* much fuss and that the "clouded" window is limited to the LE's.

#1231 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett: For mods:
- External sub
- Bass drum covers for the diverter coils
- Pinbits Lightening bolt flashers (their are flashers behind the stock plastics but they aren't great)
- Red apron with the interactive lights that integrate with the canon flasher. Makes a cool strobe effect when the cannon is ready.
- Shaker (some don't like them but I enjoy it on this pin)
- Roof top mod (if you can still find one) as they cover that ugly hole in the back right corner as well as add lighting for the band members
- mantis protectors for the scoops

Thanks for these suggestions. Don't know what the covers for the diverter coils might be, but I will research it. Kerry at Mantis says he makes no protectors for this playfield, so I wonder: did you mean Cliffy? And what mod maker offers the lighted apron?

#1232 5 years ago

Thanks, '85Vette, for your help. I'm encouraged to know that the window can be polished without *too* much fuss and that the "clouded" window is limited to the LE's.

To make sure I'm being clear. Their are some premiums with them but they are few and far between. You can't polish out the cloudiness but if you get minor scratches you can polish them out carefully. It's acrylic so all those rules apply.

Thanks for these suggestions. Don't know what the covers for the diverter coils might be, but I will research it. Kerry at Mantis says he makes no protectors for this playfield, so I wonder: did you mean Cliffy? And what mod maker offers the lighted apron?

Thought they were manits protectors. Must be someone else making the same style then. Here is what I got years ago. I just have the two scoops and not the other two. Looks like he sells as a full kit now. I've got thousands of plays on my game with them and no wear at all.

ebay.com link: Stern Pinball ACDC Total Protection Kit

#1233 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

To make sure I'm being clear. Their are some premiums with them but they are few and far between. You can't polish out the cloudiness but if you get minor scratches you can polish them out carefully. It's acrylic so all those rules apply.

Thought they were manits protectors. Must be someone else making the same style then. Here is what I got years ago. I just have the two scoops and not the other two. Looks like he sells as a full kit now. I've got thousands of plays on my game with them and no wear at all.
ebay.com link » Stern Pinball Acdc Total Protection Kit

I looked at this eBay kit per your suggestion. It appears to include a protector that mounts behind the drops. Interesting. All the pieces are stainless. I wonder if they're "clangy." Did you have to drill any holes in the top of your PF to install the scoop protectors from this kit?

Oh, and thanks for your message.

#1235 5 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Yes, with novus 2.

Took my lower pf off for a good clean last week. Looks daunting but it's not. A beer for bravery helps. Six or seven plugs, a few screws and the lower pf comes off in five minutes. It's not hard. Mind the plastic devil horns. I have a cloudy LE LTBR which I prefer, it's hell down there and smoky and dusty is ok. Novus 2 works great but some cloudiness remains between the layers.

#1236 5 years ago

My TNT targets sometimes go down without even being hit, sometimes just when the ball is placed in shooter lane. Often will register as hit just by shaker motor or randomly.

Also my slings are crazy strong all of the sudden will shoot the ball in the air sometimes over the opposite sling into the drain.

Any thoughts?

#1237 5 years ago

I looked at this eBay kit per your suggestion. It appears to include a protector that mounts behind the drops. Interesting. All the pieces are stainless. I wonder if they're "clangy." Did you have to drill any holes in the top of your PF to install the scoop protectors from this kit?
Oh, and thanks for your message.

No, they mount from the underneath. I don't recall if they fit in existing holes or you make new ones with self tapping wood screws. I believe you make your own.

#1238 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

My TNT targets sometimes go down without even being hit, sometimes just when the ball is placed in shooter lane. Often will register as hit just by shaker motor or randomly.
Also my slings are crazy strong all of the sudden will shoot the ball in the air sometimes over the opposite sling into the drain.
Any thoughts?

Hi, Rai.

In my experience with Stern S.A.M.-system pins, there's a setting in the "Adjustments" menu within the main Service Menu where you can set the power of the sling coils to low, medium, or high.

As to your TNT drops that drop without strikes, I don't know a fix offhand, but I would start by raising the playfield and taking a close look at how the bank is sitting in the PF slot. I s'pose there's a chance the bank is sitting too far forward, placing the slightest amount of pressure on the drops. Loosening the anchor screws will allow a small amount of repositioning, but not much. The other thing to note is the fact that the AC/DC playfield gives up a lot of its rigidity with the presence of a giant mid-field hole cut out of it for the Underworld PF. It's not unreasonable to think that even ejecting a ball into your shooter lane will cause a minor tremor of the PF that *could* be enough to trigger a drop target if its bank were in the wrong position.

#1239 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

My TNT targets sometimes go down without even being hit, sometimes just when the ball is placed in shooter lane. Often will register as hit just by shaker motor or randomly. ... Any thoughts?

Sounds like your targets aren't resting enough on the "ledge" piece that holds them up and are therefore essentially set on hair trigger. Ideally, just adjust their position so that they catch more on this ledge. Check to see that the catch edges on these pieces aren't overly worn also. If so, you can sharpen by filing/trimming or just replace if really bad.

#1240 5 years ago

Thanks

#1241 5 years ago

Just completed.

New, limited batch just made of ACDC Roof mod.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-lighted-roof-mod

PM to get one.
Thx.

A17CE640-6C36-475D-94C6-ADC4662666A2 (resized).pngA17CE640-6C36-475D-94C6-ADC4662666A2 (resized).png
#1242 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Just completed.
New, limited batch just made of ACDC Roof mod.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-lighted-roof-mod
PM to get one.
Thx.

I got one from another Pinsider but I’m curious what how can I add any additional lighting to that area?

#1243 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I got one from another Pinsider but I’m curious what how can I add any additional lighting to that area?

If memory serves me correctly you got one of my versions (red ones).

With the matrix system it's stupid easy now. Their are two GI bulbs behind the band. Just get a matrix kit with the color lights you want, plug it in their and use the double sided tape on the roof mod. To integrate into the flasher you can create a harness to piggy back off that plug. Just need a male and female .093 molex connectors and plugs as well as about 3 feet of wire. Soldier one end to a 12V LED strip of your choice and the other end make a bridge to go in between the factory plug. Or you can use a 12V matrix plug, get a splitter and two LED light strips. One goes in the back and the other in the front so both sides still flash.

Not hard but can be time consuming but with the advent of the comet matrix system it's way easier now.

#1244 5 years ago

I just installed a Stern translucent apron in my game and think it would look even better if it was lit. Anyone have any quick instructions of what needs to be done and purchased to tie this into either the cannon or ramp flashers? Thanks!

#1245 5 years ago

You just need two 12v 6 SMD pads. One goes on each side of the apron underneith it. Then you just wire them into the harness for the cannon flasher. Can't recall if it's a z connector or molex.

Do yourself a favor and get one more pad (in yellow) and put it in the cannon. You'll thank me later

#1246 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

You just need two 12v 6 SMD pads. One goes on each side of the apron underneith it. Then you just wire them into the harness for the cannon flasher. Can't recall if it's a z connector or molex.
Do yourself a favor and get one more pad (in yellow) and put it in the cannon. You'll thank me later

Thanks! Will these work?

https://www.cometpinball.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=MTX6SMDPAD12V

Or these?
https://www.cometpinball.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=MTXCOB12V

#1247 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Can you show a picture of the LED placement you have in your cannon? That sounds like a great idea!

#1249 5 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Can you show a picture of the LED placement you have in your cannon? That sounds like a great idea!

Here is a pic of all lights and wiring.

The red and black is the cannon and the added IDC is the apron lights. Now that they have them a frosted 12v strip may be better in the cannon. I may try that.

20180630_093055 (resized).jpg20180630_093055 (resized).jpg20180630_093115 (resized).jpg20180630_093115 (resized).jpg20180630_093119 (resized).jpg20180630_093119 (resized).jpg20180630_093228 (resized).jpg20180630_093228 (resized).jpg
#1250 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Here is a pic of all lights and wiring.
The red and black is the cannon and the added IDC is the apron lights. Now that they have them a frosted 12v strip may be better in the cannon. I may try that.

How did you connect the cannon LED to power? Do you have it tied into a specific bulb/flasher? I have my translucent red apron lit up but I have to check what I have it tied into as I can't remember on my AC/DC if it's pulsing lighting tied into my flipper buttons or if it is tied into some of the flashers....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

16,500 (Firm)
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,338 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-club/page/25?hl=mymalibu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.