(Topic ID: 140960)

AC/DC Premium auto launches ball at start up. Unable to pick your songs.

By NicToria

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by BigB
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150219_170756_763.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hey. Big B's AC/DC Premium..auto launches the ball at start up.. And does not let you pick a song to start modes and all..... Frustrating for sure.....

He lives near the Waterloo-CedarFalls Iowa area.... If you might live close or have a buddy that could come take a look-see also...

The auto launch IS turned off.... Is this an opto problem?.... Trough problems? Trough Switches. ?

I will try and take my opto boards off our Spiderman and see if they are compatible . To help with narrowing down the problem..
. Hoping to look at it this weekend . Or at least get some ideas ahead of time.. So did or does anyone have a similar dilemma. ?

Or a link to a solution.. I did check search... There were similar issues with weak plungers... So if we missed one please forward it to this post ........Thanks for any ideas or help..

Please PM BigB if you want also..... Its his birthday pin and overall favorite.... LOL. Help me get his pin up and working correctly......

Nick. . NicToria....

#2 8 years ago

I'd check the shooter lane switch first. See if it works and stays closed with a ball on it.

Be sure right number of balls in the game too.

LTG : )

#3 8 years ago

This can be caused by a stuck switch on the playfield. (Ours did this for a bit, and a stand up was stuck closed.)
If the ball gets in the shooter lane and then points are scored by a stuck switch the machine will exit the song choice menu and launch the ball after a bit.
If it does this and your points are still at zero then I would suspect the shooter lane switch or maybe a bad connection on your trough boards.

#4 8 years ago

Good ideas. Thx.

His auto launches the ball as soon as you press start.. Only one ball. but basically starts the game for you and picks whatever song its on.... We have unplugged and replugged most boards and connectors...And a host of switches. They test fine in the switch test menu..... Have not checked cold solders etc.

Cannot find anything obvious... So maybe changing the opto boards in and out will nail it down... Keep ideas coming if you have them..

NT>

#5 8 years ago

I had this issue intermittently (1/30 games?) and I happen to reinstall the software and it has not happened since. I am not sure if there is any relation at all just thought I'd pass it along.

#6 8 years ago

Go into switch test and look for an intermittent switch that opens/closes with slight vibration of the game. It could be a drop target opto (re-seat connectors).

Rob

#7 8 years ago

Thanks everyone. Some of the ideas I have tried. Others, I will try this weekend. I have tried calling Stern but I have trouble getting them to answer their phone. I just keep hearing how valuable a customer I am and to please leave a message. It's frustrating. I am handicapped and I can't get to my machine in the basement at the snap of a finger, so if I do leave a message, chances are I won't be standing next to my game when & if they ever call back. I'm tired of wanting to play my machine, but having to fix it first. I went through "Hell" to get it as it was my Disability Retirement/Birthday gift from my wife. Now all I hear is how we spent that much money for something that doesn't even work. I'm just about ready to sell it and buy a game that works. I hear the "Hobbit" is looking interesting. Anyone know of someone looking for a Premium that's hardly used. Never left my basement. Looks pretty nice. Here's a picture of my baby. Enjoy.IMG_20150219_170756_763.jpgIMG_20150219_170756_763.jpg

#8 8 years ago

I have got a Lord of the Rings for you... Let me know when your home and I am on my way. THX>

WE will get it fixed up right and bring it back when your ready....

Pinballers United on Fixing each others games...

#9 8 years ago

Hi BigB

May as well try reseating the connectors to the small ball trough opto boards. If that fixes it, at some point remove them and reflow the solder on the optos and pins the connector plugs onto.

#10 8 years ago

I wonder if the cannon button is stuck or thinking its closed. I know if you press the fire button it will launch as well.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from GimpMaster:

I wonder if the cannon button is stuck or thinking its closed. I know if you press the fire button it will launch as well.

Easy to check in switch test.

#12 8 years ago

Wow this is actually an easy one to diagnose. It does not require a plethora of random ideas. Instead take a systematic approach and solve the problem.

The problem is caused by one of the in game switches being triggered when it should not be. The game thinks the ball is already in play and therefore bypasses the skill shot and song select. This is not something that will likely be solved by reseating connectors or reflowing solder randomly on a wild hunch. This does not sound like a ball trough related issue so that generic advise is a waste of time also (ball through problems exhibit different symptoms). This is not a software problem and will not be solved by reinstalling the same software again (which does nothing).

Get into the switch test. This is where you will solve the issue. From there, manually trigger every single switch in the game. Use the game manual switch chart to make sure you get all of them. You can use your hand to do them all most likely. You should see each one toggle state. Things to look for: switch is pulsing, switch is stuck on that shouldn't be. Also pound the playfield and see if a switch toggles from that. Figure out which switch is on and solve it by adjusting it most likely. If it's an opto it may require additional steps to repair.

#13 8 years ago

Sunday Bumper.... Hope your getting it figured out B.

#14 8 years ago

UPDATE: Thanks for the great advice everyone. I have figured out the problem and solved the issue. Everything is working as it should so it looks like I won't have to sell it after all. I did get some nice offers though. People must really like this title because they are willing to give a lot for it, amazing. It's been out a few years now and it's worth more now than when it was NIB!
The culprit was a lane switch on the right side. It was stuck closed so the game thought there was already an active ball on the playfield and it was automatically kicking the ball onto the playfield. That also explains why I was getting points generated without the ball activating any switches. I adjusted the switch so that it is only activated when the balls rolls over it and all is good again. Thanks for the advice..... Later.... BigB

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

16,500 (Firm)
$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-auto-launches-ball-at-start-up-unable-to-pick-your-songs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.