Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Bigbossfan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1109132039a_zps90d24018.jpg

#1 5 years ago

For some reason my AC/DC Premium has developed a loud coil buzz when the multi-ball starts.

The coil in question is the small one on the back of the dancing band members. It buzzes like crazy when the coil is engaged and I have tried to grab (tighten) the coil when it's engaged to see if that makes any difference (which it doesn't).

Is there any "quick" fix to this issue or is it best to just buy a new coil and replace it? Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

If there is a plunger and coil stop type set up, I'd file the end of the plunger and top of the coil stop smooth.

New coil won't matter.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Dante, I had the exact same issue. If you go to your manual look at Look at page b24 item 16. This is your issue. You need to loosen that bolt beside the coil a little bit. Solved the problem for me. I got this direction from my distributor who got it from Stern. (Apparently Stern is aware of the issue!)

#4 5 years ago

Thanks Lloyd,

It's not a traditional coil with a coil stop /please see pix attached/ There is no coil stop and the plunger is attached to the rest of the band members. Here's a link to the video of the problem http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ea_forsaken/media/1109132040_zpscf266a89.mp4.html

Thanks!

Dante

1109132039a_zps90d24018.jpg
#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Dante, I had the exact same issue. If you go to your manual look at Look at page b24 item 16. This is your issue. You need to loosen that bolt beside the coil a little bit. Solved the problem for me. I got this direction from my distributor who got it from Stern. (Apparently Stern is aware of the issue!)

Thanks Bigbossfan, I tried to adjust and loosen the bolt and it really did not solve the issue. I then got my needle nose pliers and tried to adjust the back end of the coil bracket, and it did work....but only for a couple of minutes. I since have tried to adjust it several ways and retighten - but in each instance - it only quieted for a minute or so and would re-start again.

So it appears that it appears to be an alignment issue - so I guess it's time to try to adjust/align the coil until I can get to quiet down. Unless there's another alternative.

#6 5 years ago

So if it is really an alignment issue, can anyone explain "why" the coil would buzz like it does? I would think that when the coil engages and the plunger slides thru the sleeve - that it would be soundless.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Dante:

I would think that when the coil engages and the plunger slides thru the sleeve - that it would be soundless.

Ignoring how they power cycle the coil and that the plunger might not be pulled smoothly in one direction but rather vibrates in one direction.

LTG : )

#8 5 years ago

Watched the video... Im wondering if the whole "billboard" might be vibrating. If u hold it still does the noise change or stop? Can u feel the vibration? Maybe the whole toy is loose a bit and vibrating?

#9 5 years ago

I had the same issue with mine. I assume that the band members don't move when the coil is buzzing?

For starters, I would clean that muck off the assembly. That lube that has gone orange will be a major part of the problem. The coil is straining to pull the plunger through it. I removed pretty much all of the lube off mine which helped greatly.

Secondly, I replaced the coil on mine which, along with removing the lube, fixed the problem 99%. Once in a while if I have had multi ball going for a long time it may skip a beat but otherwise it is all good.

You MUST remove that grunge off the assembly for it to have any chance of working. It is no different to flippers and the like. They shouldn't be lubed, it only causes more problems in the long run. If you insist on using lube, it should be the bare minimum and needs be to replaced regularly.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Watched the video... Im wondering if the whole "billboard" might be vibrating. If u hold it still does the noise change or stop? Can u feel the vibration? Maybe the whole toy is loose a bit and vibrating?

I checked the billboard and it's tight and not moving. With that said, the coil spins around and if I grab it tight, it will quiet down.

Quoted from Pintoxicated:

I had the same issue with mine. I assume that the band members don't move when the coil is buzzing?
For starters, I would clean that muck off the assembly. That lube that has gone orange will be a major part of the problem. The coil is straining to pull the plunger through it. I removed pretty much all of the lube off mine which helped greatly.
Secondly, I replaced the coil on mine which, along with removing the lube, fixed the problem 99%. Once in a while if I have had multi ball going for a long time it may skip a beat but otherwise it is all good.
You MUST remove that grunge off the assembly for it to have any chance of working. It is no different to flippers and the like. They shouldn't be lubed, it only causes more problems in the long run. If you insist on using lube, it should be the bare minimum and needs be to replaced regularly.

Thanks, I think this will be my next step and will disassemble and clean/re-align as everything appears to be tight. While the band still moves as they should, the coil is making that buzzing sound when it's engaged/on - so when the power is cut to it, the buzzing sound goes away.

Thanks again to all for the help!

#11 5 years ago

Dante, I contacted my buddy who actually fixed this up for me. This was his response.

"Well he has to loosen both...then push the coil top tight and tighten...that's how I did it. "

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.95
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dover, OH
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Itasca, IL

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside