View topic image gallery

18654-desktop-wallpapers-panties.jpg
tumblr_lorp22WZcv1qmjfl3o2_500.gif
spit-take.gif
NFBRRiI.gif
glinda.gif
machine summary snip.JPG
post-40977-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Obscen-bdkx.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Nobody understands the ruleset.
It's crazy.

You don't need to memorize all the rules to enjoy the game. You just need to learn a few of the songs and the multiball rules (song bonuses).

Quoted from DaveH:

AC/DC is tough to get going on at first. You can bat the ball for ages and it just isn't intuitive. You just don't "get it". That's because the ruleset is weird.

The rules aren't weird. Ripley's rules are weird. AC/DC's rules are deep and different in a way most folks aren't used to. And that's a good thing.

Quoted from RavellevaR:

I totally agree with OP... A local bar has a premium version ($7,699 msrp btw) and I've read the rules and several posts regarding the rule set but after 25+ games I just don't see the appeal...

25 games isn't enough games for Mustang, let alone AC/DC. Since you read the rules, care to share your current strategy with is?

Quoted from leaffan67:

the beauty is to build a song jackpot of 100 million +, then blow it with 3X lit. it is beautiful in its brutality!

Even better is to build the song jackpot to 100M, then collect it via a song bonus, then collect it AGAIN later that ball with 3X running!

The game obviously isn't for everybody. If you own one and you only play the songs that you like to hear, the game probably isn't for you. To score big, you need to strategically select songs. And if your strategy doesn't include going for song bonuses (but not necessarily collecting them), you need to read up. A song jackpot or two might win you the monthly tournament down at Crazy Bob's, but song bonuses are where the real points are.

IMO, AC/DC is the best game built in the last 15 years. It's SR and Lyman at their peak. Again, not for everyone. But if you're a player, you will definitely appreciate the game. The layout and rules are perfectly matched. Big risks and even bigger points all over the damb place. What more could a player ask for?

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

ACDC has 5 shots in it (left loop, left ramp, bell, right ramp, right loop).

Quoted from markmon:

Come on man. Those aren't shots. Geez. No one thinks it's fun to shoot at some lousy targets.

I'd ask you guys if you're serious, but I'm guessing you are. The TNT targets are the best opportunity in the game to collect a song bonus, which is easily the most valuable shot in the game. When you make comments like that, you make it clear that you're not a player.

http://www.pinballreviews.com/acdc_songbonus.htm

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think you meant end of ball bonus as shooting them is most likely a left outlane "reward".

You have no idea on how to collect a song bonus, do you? Again, you only show what you don't know about the game when you make comments like that. Song bonuses can ONLY be collected during a multiball, when losing a ball down an outlane isn't necessarily a problem. You'll also be happy to learn that you can add balls to your multiball by making specific shots, or you can restart it by using a VIP pass.

When you have two or more balls in play, you can take more risks. I sense that you're not the type to take risks, which is probably why you don't like the game. It's all about risk and reward with AC/DC.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I've said it before, but we are in the era where the designers are sitting shotgun to the programmers.

That may be fair to say for some games, but not AC/DC. The jukebox and how it's used in the game was Steve Ritchie's idea. Lyman has confirmed this in interviews. AC/DC without that jukebox isn't the hit it has become.

To be fair, it's also been said that Lyman had input on how MET's playfield was set up. Different designer.

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

... It's decent. But it's not perfect. I agree the shot count is less than most games. I agree it's overrated. Some of you Acdc fans are like Apple fans. Anyone says one thing about your precious game you get all cry baby about it lol. You, Smassa and McCune. Always just as predicted.

If anyone's predictable, it's you. You'll never completely like any new game right out of the box. Your need to tinker and your sense of entitlement won't let you leave the game alone. Guys like you think you know better than any game or software designer. No game will ever be perfect for you and no software will ever be good enough to be considered finished. I feel sorry for guys like you. There's no such thing as a perfect game, but you guys will keep chasing it anyway.

AC/DC is an amazing game from two guys at the peak of their creative abilities. If you can't be satisfied with AC/DC, you'll never be satisfied. Try stamp collecting instead. Seriously.

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think Metallica is perfect.

Would that be the MET that you swapped out the block for a captive ball, then started a thread to tell everyone how to do it? Was that game perfect?

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

tsk tsk not satisfied with ACDC??!?! Chasing perfection? What a waste...

Every game is a compromise between casual players and serious players. That's not a new thing.

No such thing as perfection in pinball. Some of us see this as a good thing for the hobby.

#177 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

AC/DC is pretty damn nice. I don't know if it's 5k+ good, too early to tell yet. It's still in it's lust period. Once it hits year 5, then it can be called love.

It's already been inducted in the the player hall of fame. The rest of y'all can take as long as you want to decide.

You know what games are overrated? Tron and IM. Why isn't there threads about them being overrated? (rhetorical question, I know the answer)

#192 9 years ago
Quoted from yotaxi125:

Well, like I mentioned in a previous post, work got stupid busy so not a lot of time to play around on the internet (unfortunately!), but I played in an establishment where the pins are WELL taken care of. Volume was not ridiculous, but high enough... I believe it was the pro version (honestly not sure)? But what I am sure about is that I did not find the game itself that great. Music and subwoofers alone don't really mean anything to me if I'm not connecting with the game play.

Was it the pro at Pizza Depot in Sunnyvale? If yes, that's my game and it is hard. I installed it using default settings (6.5 degrees) and ball times were short. So I closed the left outlane a notch. Didn't make much difference. Now the left outlane is all the way closed and the right outlane is in the middle. It's still hard. No swinging bell or drop targets to slow the ball down.

You shouldn't judge AC/DC after playing only one version. They play very differently. Head north and try one of the premiums on location up there. The premiums and LE's are much more forgiving (easy d. Secondly, if you want to play that pro at the pizza parlor more, send me a pm before you go and I'll try to meet you there. Credits on me. Even if that wasn't the one you played, the offer stands.

#200 9 years ago
Quoted from yotaxi125:

It is indeed that machine. I'd love to take you up on that offer sometime! I did not realize that the premium/LE is a more forgiving game. But honestly, I could forgive the difficulty. The BSD at that same location is PUNISHING but I absolutely love it. Makes the good games that much more rewarding!
And by the way, you keep your games in impeccable condition and I really appreciate that!

Appreciate the compliment and the quarters. Not all the pins there are mine, but most of them are. I saw your location and my AC/DC is the only one in the south bay other than the beater at the boardwalk. Figured you went to PD. I get a lot of compliments on that BSD. The wicked fast flippers with upgraded coils really make the game. The steeper I make it, the funner it is. If you didn't get any time on Ripley's, go back some time and give that a try. It's rough around the edges, but it's a blast to play.

Quoted from yotaxi125:

On a side note, I guess it may not have been clear that I was just putting a feeler out there to see if anybody felt the same way or if there were any tips for someone not experienced on the game. Some of the other people here will respond however they feel like regardless of this, I guess.
Cheers.

If nothing else, you've learned that AC/DC inspires a lot of passion in folks. No one ever talked about IJ4 or CSI like what went on in this thread. Talk may be cheap, but when people are still talking years later, you probably did something right.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 29.95
16,500 (Firm)
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-overrated?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.