View topic image gallery

18654-desktop-wallpapers-panties.jpg
tumblr_lorp22WZcv1qmjfl3o2_500.gif
spit-take.gif
NFBRRiI.gif
glinda.gif
machine summary snip.JPG
post-40977-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Obscen-bdkx.gif
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 9 years ago

Ok, not trying to be a dick (seriously). And I'm a bigger acdc fan than most people who own this machine, but honestly I'm not seeing how this game is as awesome as everyone says.

Thoughts?

(Again, this isn't a hate thread!)

#2 9 years ago

Do you understand the ruleset? That's the major draw..

#3 9 years ago

You need to play it more.

#4 9 years ago

There is no shortage of posts around here detailing aspects that make AC/DC so unique and fantastic. Here are some of them :

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-explain-to-me-why-acdc-is-a-great-game/page/2#post-1273771

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Do you understand the ruleset? That's the major draw..

Nobody understands the ruleset.
It's crazy.

Seriously though, rumoured to be Sterns best selling game.

So no, not over-rated.
Still, might not be a pin you enjoy, which is cool.

#6 9 years ago

Dear HATER! (just kidding)

You bring up a good point and are asking a serious question. I can only share my own experiences and I am NOT that big of a AC/DC fan although I don't mind them as well. Just not my biggest thing when it comes to real good quality music.

However:

I only have 4 pinball machines and I spent a lot of time to pick them well. One of those machines is WOZ of which I truly think is a remarkable machine. I enjoy playing it everynight. One of those machines is AC/DC premium. I have enjoyed modifying both of them. I now believe I may have one of the most quality modified AC/DC machines that I have ever played.

I play pinball to help me relax after a hard day at work. And I will have to say, that I really look forward to playing AC/DC when I get home. I have others to play, but this is the one that takes the 'Edge' off after a stressful day of life. Now don't get me wrong. I also will play WOZ at some point in the evening as well. But AC/DC is the one that knocks off the stress of which I need so much for it to do.

So if you are on the fence about buying one, then consider it again. It is a really nice play.

#7 9 years ago

$5700 ish for a premium, it's not over rated.

10X's better than Avengers, Xmen, BBH, Mustang, TRS, IM, CSI, 24

and 3X's better than metallica, Tron and TF

just a hair less awesome than LOTR, but LOTR is the supreme Stern flagship of awesomeness.

#8 9 years ago

Best game ever my advice learn the rules then enjoy

#9 9 years ago

Ask someone to show you how to play and understand all rules of this game and you gone see it's only one of the best game ever

#10 9 years ago

AC/DC is tough to get going on at first. You can bat the ball for ages and it just isn't intuitive. You just don't "get it". That's because the ruleset is weird. However, it does spread by word of mouth. Seek out someone that knows the game and play with them. They will explain so much more of the rules than you can discover on your own. And then you will have a starting strategy for the game. Then meet more people and learn different aspects of the game. The ruleset is great once it clicks.

However there is the other side. AC/DC is a score based game. It isn't like LOTR where you are on a quest. It isn't like Tron trying to get to the Portal. It is risk reward to get massive scores. The risk of waiting on a song jackpot to build it up higher. The reward of cashing it in, or the humiliation of draining and losing all the points you built up because you got greedy.

So plenty of ways to play it, but score based. It is a great game, and it isn't over-rated. However it doesn't fit everyone. But for those it does fit, it is greatness.

#11 9 years ago

I was really impressed by ACDC. I didn't get a ton of play on it, but hope to Sunday.

#12 9 years ago

Boo Boo

#13 9 years ago

No, it is not overrated. Next question please.

#14 9 years ago

As an AC/DC fan, find one with a headphone outlet mod (I have one from Lorenzo of Pinnovators), put on a good set of headphones, and crank it up while playing it! You will definitely experience why it is not overrated!

#15 9 years ago

have you played more than one game on it?? ACDC rocks in all aspects!

#16 9 years ago

ACDC is awesome. Love the game and music. It's never leaving. It rocks.

#17 9 years ago

I'm not a fan but I don't think it's a bad game. Just not my cup of tea.

#18 9 years ago

I had a Luci for 2 months...did not like it and traded it away....I know that puts me in the minority but to each his own...

#19 9 years ago

I totally agree with OP... A local bar has a premium version ($7,699 msrp btw) and I've read the rules and several posts regarding the rule set but after 25+ games I just don't see the appeal... There aren't a lot of exciting shots, there are plenty of choices between music/modes but they honestly aren't that diverse, and even if you have a pretty good game going you still don't feel a sense of accomplishment... I like the subfield but hate the damn bell... That being said, it's still a very good game and a great step forward for Stern... Probably deserves to be in the 25-50 range for a long time to come... While I'm sure this game will continue to eat plenty of my quarters, I don't believe it deserves the attention it gets here on Pinside... Love the Luci art though!

#20 9 years ago

I love my AC/DC, as evidenced by ~1000 plays in 5 months. It's fast, furious and it kicks my ass on a regular basis. Music's not bad either, same goes with flow.

I understand it's not everyones cup of team, but it is a great great game!

#21 9 years ago

I'm not really sure I get it either. The pops often dribble out into a SDTM. I've only played the LE version, and the bell often rockets the ball SDTM when it swings back. The rules are pretty solid but these two annoyances drive me insane, as they feel cheap, unless you are a sorcerer of nudging.

#22 9 years ago

the beauty is to build a song jackpot of 100 million +, then blow it with 3X lit. it is beautiful in its brutality!

#23 9 years ago

I'm a huge ACDC fan but not a big fan of the game. Ugly playfield art and as much as I like the music I think the songs would get on my nerves after a while. And yes I know you can upload new songs. For me it's a great game to play at someone else's house.

#24 9 years ago

Hell no its not overrated. Its underrated if anything.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Hell no its not overrated. Its underrated if anything.

It's not under-rated where it counts most; Stern made a ton of cash off this one. Obviously it will influence future pins.
The top 100 Pinside list is a joke.

#26 9 years ago

Let's see the best selling game in years, plays awesome and at this point who cares !

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

AC/DC is tough to get going on at first. You can bat the ball for ages and it just isn't intuitive. You just don't "get it". That's because the ruleset is weird. However, it does spread by word of mouth. Seek out someone that knows the game and play with them. They will explain so much more of the rules than you can discover on your own. And then you will have a starting strategy for the game. Then meet more people and learn different aspects of the game. The ruleset is great once it clicks.

A game shouldn't be confusing, "deep" and "not understandable without a tutor" are not the same thing.

#28 9 years ago

AC/DC reminds me of a lot of system 11 games, in that, it draws me in. When I walk by it I want to play a game. Just about every night I play a game or two on AC/DC. Hard to explain; it's just.........fun!

#29 9 years ago

it is ok to not like a popular game I for one do not like Monster Bash that much.

I do love ACDC though

#30 9 years ago

I don't get the over-rated/under-rated argument. Obviously with anything, some love some hate. I recently played AC/DC recently at expo and didn't get into it. I only played a few games and didn't know the rules. The biggest frustration was that I couldn't hear the music. It did look awesome and have a nice playfield. Love the led lighting and effects. If I spent more time with it, I bet I would come to like it. Not a big fan of the music but better than the other music pins.

#31 9 years ago

I really liked it for about 2 months and then sold it, I know the whole learn the rules and it gets better but my problem wasn't rule set, nothing to hold my interest. Not really a big AC/DC guy so nothing there and while the gameplay is fast and fun would rather play STLE or even T2. Just seemed to be missing something, anyway to each his own. Lets not forget that some people think Tron is an awesome pin, never got that either.

#32 9 years ago

I have a Luci and enjoy this game a lot. I like the originality of some PF items. The jukebox in the rear for one. The swinging bell....the rotating cannon with a separate fire button....these are unique and original ideas. The great music, layout, mini PF, artwork are just bonuses. I do agree with to each is own though. I think we all have a pin that we can walk away easily from. For me its south park and transformers, I just get bored with those two.

#33 9 years ago

i find myself player ac/dc more than any other pins i have, including ST.
it's all about understanding the rule sheet, not easy.

it's not for everyone, like any other pin.

#34 9 years ago

Short answer: No

Long answer: No

I wasn't a big fan of it at first (although I still enjoyed it), but once I learned the rules I have enjoyed it more and more every time.

#35 9 years ago

I guarantee that if I hooked up a heart monitor while playing ACDC, it would easily top out any other pin Ive played for building heart-thumping, huge, stressful risk/reward situations.

It is not uncommon for me to scream at this pin when I drain trying to greadily start 3x with massive jackpots...... or skipping the easy Jam+album multiball trying to light tour first and blowing the whole damn thing on ball3...

Love this game.

I loved it from day1, love it more once i took the 3-cred college-level course in understand the full ruleset

#36 9 years ago

One of the Best game Ever made !!!!!!

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I guarantee that if I hooked up a heart monitor while playing ACDC, it would easily top out any other pin Ive played for building heart-thumping, huge, stressful risk/reward situations.

It is not uncommon for me to scream at this pin when I drain trying to greadily start 3x with massive jackpots...... or skipping the easy Jam+album multiball trying to light tour first and blowing the whole damn thing on ball3...

Love this game.

This is exactly what makes it such a great F'ing game more than anything else.

There are very few pins that can compete when it comes to the adrenaline rush that you can get from AC/DC.

It's a love/hate type of thing, because there is nothing worse than to get a huge song jackpot built up only to drain right before collecting. All that adrenaline built up...for nothing. But when you collect, there is nothing better!

#38 9 years ago

The best thing about AC/DC , it is hard core pinball . It is not hard to figure out. Play better !

#39 9 years ago

I might be in the minority but the pro is no slouch either. Faster IMO and just as good as the premium just not with all the bells and whistles.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Best game ever my advice learn the rules then enjoy

My first Stern machine purchase way back in 2012 and I still play this EVERY day. I still don't know all the rules (despite Gorgar teaching me a few things), but love the 12 tracks and the flow of the game. MAGIC!

I think Metallica is the full package with the artwork and rules, but I still keep coming back to AC/DC.

Currently putting LEDs in my Pro as I type this.

Cheers!
Adam.

#41 9 years ago

I think it also depends on your other pins. I have a mixture with lotr and tf that are really long playing at times so having acdc, sttng, and jp really helps mix it up. I also had a few months where I was starting to get down on it because I couldn't wipe the table every few plays but now I like it more because of that.

#42 9 years ago

....."Play better" (in weird Steve Ritchie voice).

#43 9 years ago

Has the OP been playing the Pro or the Premium/LE. 2 totally different games.

Also need to play it loud (not in a loud bar where you can't get immersed in it)....ads so much to the experience. And Im not a huge ACDC fan.

#44 9 years ago

I owned an AC\DC and my thing with it is that it eventually got boring playing solo. There aren't any traditional modes or goals to really aim for (unless you want Encore, but talk about a grind that's not much fun--did it once myself, probably won't try again, it wasn't worth it). It's really all about going for the largest song jackpot, but once you get a huge one a few times the thrill wears off. I personally prefer games with more clear-cut modes and goals (TAF, RBION, etc) and AC\DC sort of just throws you in and leaves you to do whatever. Yeah, each song technically has different primary shots, but the goal is the same in each of them--shoot the primary shot to light all the notes on the playfield, rinse and repeat. Or, pick a song you are comfortable with and stick with that the whole game (or maybe change it up once or twice). I think this style of play works a lot better in competitive play and as such I love playing this game in tournaments or just with other people. It's a great game to talk strategy, because despite the lack of a traditional mode structure, it is a deep game.

On a side note, I wish the cannon modes were implemented, and I think some kind of mini wizard mode for completing all of the lower playfield inserts would be cool. It would give incentive to go for completing something different, if only for those playing by themselves.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Nobody understands the ruleset.
It's crazy.

You don't need to memorize all the rules to enjoy the game. You just need to learn a few of the songs and the multiball rules (song bonuses).

Quoted from DaveH:

AC/DC is tough to get going on at first. You can bat the ball for ages and it just isn't intuitive. You just don't "get it". That's because the ruleset is weird.

The rules aren't weird. Ripley's rules are weird. AC/DC's rules are deep and different in a way most folks aren't used to. And that's a good thing.

Quoted from RavellevaR:

I totally agree with OP... A local bar has a premium version ($7,699 msrp btw) and I've read the rules and several posts regarding the rule set but after 25+ games I just don't see the appeal...

25 games isn't enough games for Mustang, let alone AC/DC. Since you read the rules, care to share your current strategy with is?

Quoted from leaffan67:

the beauty is to build a song jackpot of 100 million +, then blow it with 3X lit. it is beautiful in its brutality!

Even better is to build the song jackpot to 100M, then collect it via a song bonus, then collect it AGAIN later that ball with 3X running!

The game obviously isn't for everybody. If you own one and you only play the songs that you like to hear, the game probably isn't for you. To score big, you need to strategically select songs. And if your strategy doesn't include going for song bonuses (but not necessarily collecting them), you need to read up. A song jackpot or two might win you the monthly tournament down at Crazy Bob's, but song bonuses are where the real points are.

IMO, AC/DC is the best game built in the last 15 years. It's SR and Lyman at their peak. Again, not for everyone. But if you're a player, you will definitely appreciate the game. The layout and rules are perfectly matched. Big risks and even bigger points all over the damb place. What more could a player ask for?

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

A game shouldn't be confusing, "deep" and "not understandable without a tutor" are not the same thing.

Every game out there doesnt have to be so simple you understand everything after 1 day of playing. Some of us like to have to work to figure out other ways to play a game.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

And yes I know you can upload new songs.

you can ? so i can load up the playlist with bon scott songs? .. if so, this pin is going on the wishlist. NOW.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from mrw464:

I'm not really sure I get it either. The pops often dribble out into a SDTM. I've only played the LE version, and the bell often rockets the ball SDTM when it swings back. The rules are pretty solid but these two annoyances drive me insane, as they feel cheap, unless you are a Sorcerer of nudging.

That pretty much means you don't get any Stern made after 2005, because that's what they all do. They all have the bumper triple pit, that trickles out to the middle or side.

#50 9 years ago

IMHO the only good thing about acdc is the music I just never found it enjoyable too complex for me. My eldest son likes it (pinballgeek) and wants me to get one but it's not gonna happen

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, IL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.95
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-overrated and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.