Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by NightTrain
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I'm looking to buy either of these. I've played SM and I like it. I like the layout of both games because of the symmetry with both ramps. AC/DC also commands a higher price though.

I like SM because of the mode based gameplay. I haven't played AC/DC but it looks like it seems to be more points based (which is fine by me). I'm sure I'll make up my mind as soon as I play AC/DC when I go to look at it.

What are your opinions if you had to choose?

Also, it seems like the asking prices on a SM are anywhere from $5000-$5500. Prices on SM seem pretty stable and I'm pretty sure I could get my money back out of the game when I decide to sell it down the road. How about AC/DC? What is the going rate on a HUO minty premium? Do you think prices will be stable on AC/DC or will they drop with the release of XMEN?

Any and all input is appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

Prices will always be solid on AC/DC Premium IMO. I think it deserves and will always have a 6k(ish)+ price tag.

Spiderman has definitely leveled out on price and is fantastic!

I own both and it would be a VERY tough call to decide which to sell first....

Here's what it comes down to:

SM = Mode Based
AC/DC = Bash Fest Score Based

It's your personal preference at that point (but I will say the color changing LED's on AC/DC after the newest update push it over the top!!)

#3 11 years ago

With the new AC/DC code released this week, the game will at least hold it's current value, if not appreciate.

Premium's seem to be right at $6500-$6900

#4 11 years ago

I own both, after the update AC/DC > SM in my opinion.

#5 11 years ago

Considering your a mode junkie, spiderman seems more like a better fit If you decide I have several titles you may not tire of bash games as fast I like mostly mode games with a bash game in the line up. I would like an acdc, but I am more of a mode player so it would be my only bash game. Good luck man.

#6 11 years ago

AC/DC I have had both SM is gone and AC/DC is never leaving. My favorite game of all time.

#7 11 years ago

Have both and would keep ACDC if I had to choose between the 2. SM is fun game & may be the better choice if you like working through modes but for just a pure rush you cant beat ACDC. I'd buy a ACDC premium NIB now & work on picking up a SM down the road to compliment it.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from haunted1:

Considering your a mode junkie sm, If you decide I har several titles. I like mostly mode games with a bash or two thrown in. I am friending for acdc but I am more of a mode player so it would be my bash game. Good luck man

I have no idea what you just said! lol

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

It's your personal preference at that point (but I will say the color changing LED's on AC/DC after the newest update push it over the top!!)

Do you have to change the bulbs for this to work, or just update the code?

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

ACDC Premium + 1.6 code

#12 11 years ago

I'd rather be playing SM ALL NIGHT LONG.... (Honestly, it seems that many of the pro-ACDC comments are from recent purchasers still justifying their outlay.) SM is a solid game that has stood the test of time.

#13 11 years ago
#14 11 years ago

SM without a doubt. Just such a complete game super flow mode based play with one of the best rulesets out there IMO. I know many love AC/DC nothing against that pin but for me it just does not measure up to SM. That goes double for putting them into a smaller collection/lineup.

#15 11 years ago

My only worry with AC/DC would be getting tired of the songs. I like the band, they are OK, but I am not a fan. Watching the video the other day of the new 1.6 code, I heard Hell's Bell's, almost the complete song, 3 times. That is more than I've heard that song in the past 10 years, and frankly, it was enough.

I will reserve my final opinion until I get to play one for a solid couple of hours.

As to the OPS question, SM.

#16 11 years ago

Spiderman is the best without doubt, go with it !

#17 11 years ago

ACDC is the flavor of the week. Literally. Sounds like a great game - it better be, right?!!

SM has stood the test of time. Not many Sterns have really increased in value, especially 5 years after it came out. SM has considerably.

I want an ACDC, and may trade in my SM to get one...but that's after enjoying SM for 3 solid years. I hope ACDC has that kinda staying power. Pinball needs more Epic machines. And SM is Epic.

#18 11 years ago

Sm,Although I have not played acdc LE or premium or the new code,SM is hard to beat!

#19 11 years ago

It doesn’t seem like there is a good or bad choice here. I enjoy AC/DC more but I am an AC/DC fan. SM is a really good game also. Just go with what you like best.

#20 11 years ago

Sm is a great game, but ACDC ( LE or Premium ) for me at least, is a more fun playing experience. That being said I'm looking to add SM soon.

#21 11 years ago

I'd give the nod to sm before the acdc update.
With 1.6 I think it's pretty even and just down to personal choice.

#22 11 years ago

Thanks for all of the great input guys!

#23 11 years ago

ACDC all the way. I've owned two SMs and ACDC is the new king of speed and flow. Personally, I've never seen a Spiderman movie and I dig ACDC music.

Only 2 or 3 of the SM modes are any good. It may have traditional "modes" but that is one of the few things that SM doesn't do well. SM is a very good game, but I think it gets old, the modes aren't all that and it's not as good as AC/DC.

Quoted from haunted1:

Considering your a mode junkie

#24 11 years ago

I started this thread in the hopes that I could make a decision....and now I think I'm even more lost! HAHA! If only I could afford them both at this time!

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

(Honestly, it seems that many of the pro-ACDC comments are from recent purchasers still justifying their outlay.)

God I f'n hate when people say shit like that. Is there not the remotest possibility that we are actually enjoying the damn game? I guess I could be a prick as well and say your choice of SM is to justify your outlay. So lame. Such a stupid post. No one can predict how they're going to feel 5 years from now. Neither can you. Opinions change. Who cares. But to basically state that the only reason people are enjoying their ACDC is to justify the expense is arrogant, and makes you look like an asshole.

Just one man's opinion.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from DrainO:

God I f'n hate when people say shit like that. Is there not the remotest possibility that we are actually enjoying the damn game? I guess I could be a prick as well and say your choice of SM is to justify your outlay. So lame. Such a stupid post. No one can predict how they're going to feel 5 years from now. Neither can you. Opinions change. Who cares. But to basically state that the only reason people are enjoying their ACDC is to justify the expense is arrogant, and makes you look like an asshole.
Just one man's opinion.

Well said.
And isn't every AC/DC owner a "Recent Purchaser"?
As if that somehow magically makes our opinions of the game useless.

#27 11 years ago

Sorry for the foul language. But I showed him as much respect as he deserved.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I'd rather be playing SM ALL NIGHT LONG.... (Honestly, it seems that many of the pro-ACDC comments are from recent purchasers still justifying their outlay.) SM is a solid game that has stood the test of time.

Hmmmm what about the people that have both & prefer ACDC???

#29 11 years ago

Those opinions don't count of course, SM has stood the test of time I think SM is stale as hell.

Quoted from smassa:

Hmmmm what about the people that have both & prefer ACDC???

#30 11 years ago

SM has stood the test of time, if you consider 5 to 6 years to be the test. Whatever. Ignore the senseless.

You can't lose with either title here, but AC/DC is my favorite pin in the world right now.

#31 11 years ago

I have both too, SM and AC/DC. SM was my number 1 pin before the 1.6 update for AC/DC.
Now AC/DC is my new number 1 BUT SM is sill good and I keep both. Wouldn't trade anyone of them.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I'm looking to buy either of these. I've played SM and I like it. I like the layout of both games because of the symmetry with both ramps. AC/DC also commands a higher price though.
I like SM because of the mode based gameplay. I haven't played AC/DC but it looks like it seems to be more points based (which is fine by me). I'm sure I'll make up my mind as soon as I play AC/DC when I go to look at it.
What are your opinions if you had to choose?
Also, it seems like the asking prices on a SM are anywhere from $5000-$5500. Prices on SM seem pretty stable and I'm pretty sure I could get my money back out of the game when I decide to sell it down the road. How about AC/DC? What is the going rate on a HUO minty premium? Do you think prices will be stable on AC/DC or will they drop with the release of XMEN?
Any and all input is appreciated.

I strongly recommend finding a local collector in your area that has both of these before you buy either one online. A case of beer should give access to their gameroom. Don't base a 5k-6k+ decision on feeback and videos.

Both of these games need to be really dialed in, and compared side by side.

#33 11 years ago

Opinions and likes change. If there is one thing I have noticed with pinball, it's "Trust no ones opinion but your own."

Those that say xxxx is the best pin ever, may end up selling it in /2 weeks/2 months/2 years for the next best pin ever, even if they say, I will never sell it!

So, play the heck out of them if you can before you buy. And if it turns out in a couple weeks/months you don't like it, don't sweat it. Sell it and move on.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

So, play the heck out of them if you can before you buy. And if it turns out in a couple weeks/months you don't like it, don't sweat it. Sell it and move on.

I played the SM and loved it. I have yet to play the AC/DC, so we shall see. But as long as I don't over pay, I'm not too worried about it. I can always sell it if I don't like it.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from DrainO:

Just one man's opinion.

I'm just one man with an opinion as well.....and I completely agree with what you said.

#36 11 years ago

I will not make a recommendation, but I can't see anyone that loves pinball and likes AC/DC not being absolutely in LOVE with this pin.

#37 11 years ago

Sold my Spiderman and I have no regret,don't know what people have with this game
ac/dc for my part is the best game of this 2 games

#39 11 years ago

I owned SM; great game on location but once i heard the sounds, the theme got to me. so i sold it in less than a year. If you can stand the annoying narration and repetitive call outs, its a great game. Or, put it on mute and play an ACDC record in the background lol

I do not have enough play on an ACDC to comment whether its a keeper or not. But from reading all the comments, and watching all the videos. It sounds like a hit.

In either case, you can never wrong with a Ritchie/Sheets game.

#40 11 years ago

This is a tough choice. Both are top-5-ever pins. I would have to give the advantage to ACDC after the latest update.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Both are top-5-ever pins.

9 & 18 on here

#42 11 years ago

SM...no hesitation.

#43 11 years ago

I have both. Neither are for sale but if one had to leave, it would be S-M. AC/DC was a blast with 1.52 version software, but 1.6 has taken it to a new level. AC/DC would be the last of my pins to leave. Pure fun!

YMMV. Play before you pay!

#45 11 years ago

SM FTW !!

#46 11 years ago

This will be a good question in a years time. Both very cool contraptions imo.

#47 11 years ago

I own both. Today I vote acdc. Last week I couldn't stop playing sm. both great but new acdc code inches it slightly in front. Of my 7 machines these r the only two games I have played in weeks. Xmen needs new code now or it won't be turned on.....!

#48 11 years ago

Acdc is hands down the most addictive pin I have ever owned. I owned it for 5 months well past honeymoon. I have pinball ADD and many good titles have come and gone. Especially mode based. Like Lotr and Tron. Acdc doesnt get old like the others.

Also depends on the type of player you are. Acdc is fast and challenging. It demands good ball control and will make you a better player. Especially the pro. Shorter ball times makes for great Pinball with friends.

Acdc is also a new generation of stern with bright led display, corner leg brackets and better sound. And nib smell.

Get a nib acdc and trade later for sm. Doubt you will.

#49 11 years ago

While I don't have NEAR the history with pins as some of you do, I've had the "Top 2." TZ and STTNG. While I WILL have another STTNG, I'm not concerned with getting TZ again. Or playing it again for that matter.

I have played a lot of pins, and ACDC s***s on any other one I've played. It's insane.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I owned SM; great game on location but once i heard the sounds, the theme got to me. so i sold it in less than a year. If you can stand the annoying narration and repetitive call outs, its a great game. Or, put it on mute and play an ACDC record in the background lol
I do not have enough play on an ACDC to comment whether its a keeper or not. But from reading all the comments, and watching all the videos. It sounds like a hit.
In either case, you can never wrong with a Ritchie/Sheets game.

You will have an AC/DC Premium to play over here soon enough!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 25.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

16,500 (Firm)
$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-or-sm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.