You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20171120_204711 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171120_204612 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171120_204700 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20171212-143112 (resized).png
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Music fans (and everybody else!) - I had never played either AC/DC or Metallica until fairly recently. Both machines seem just outstanding! Which one hits higher on the 'fun' factor? I love the lower playfield of AC/DC, and am a fan of both bands. Which one makes better use of the band's music, and is an overall 'great' pin? I know I can't go wrong with either, but I'm curious what everybody loves about each one. I'm fairly new to Stern games (I have an LOTR but that's it)

#2 6 years ago

My 2 cents. I've owned Premium versions of both. I have moved on from my AC/DC and I still own my Metallica, I think it has more of a shot variety, and is just a great game. AC/DC is good too...and it seemed to be more of a favorite of the casual pinball player when they came to my house. You will have fun either way, Metallica wins out for me though.

#3 6 years ago

Just play ability Metallica is the better game. Metallica is regularly chosen in league play while AC/DC is rarely chosen. But I think AC/DC uses the music better.

#4 6 years ago

Metallica is the better choice, I have owned both.

#5 6 years ago

I own both and its really a toss up. If I had to choose it would be the flip of a coin.

#6 6 years ago

Owned AC\DC Pro and have a Metallica Pro now, for me Metallica by far. Better art, better flow and highly mod-able (especially the Pro) But all personal opinion and you have to form your own by playing and experiencing them.

#7 6 years ago

Add a poll

For me it's Met easy but I'm not a fan of ACDC. I think Met is set up almost perfectly as you progress through the game.
The Crank it ups, the doubling score before you leave, the inline drops etc....everything just seems pretty perfect.

Metallica music sounds like 2 ugly teenagers FB'ing each other in plastic bag filled with starting fluid, whatever the hell that means, and it's still an all time great.

#8 6 years ago

Heres a pie chart

Screenshot_20171212-143112 (resized).pngScreenshot_20171212-143112 (resized).png

#10 6 years ago

I like the inline drops and the art on Metallica. Besides that ACDC prem/le wins in every other department.

#11 6 years ago

Going with Metallica. I enjoyed it a lot more than AC/DC

#12 6 years ago

For once, I can't decide on this poll. MET has some fantastic toys, but I then start thinking about the swinging bell shot in ACDC and I remove my vote. Both pins are dead even IMO. Sorry!

#13 6 years ago

Simply my 2 favorite pins

#14 6 years ago

ACDC is score oriented. MET is score and mode oriented. It also plays better IMO.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Add a poll
For me it's Met easy but I'm not a fan of ACDC. I think Met is set up almost perfectly as you progress through the game.
The Crank it ups, the doubling score before you leave, the inline drops etc....everything just seems pretty perfect.
Metallica music sounds like 2 ugly teenagers FB'ing each other in plastic bag filled with starting fluid, whatever the hell that means, and it's still an all time great.

I didn't want to just do a poll, I figured it would be more informative to hear everybody's reasoning

#16 6 years ago

My 2 favorite pins. I own both. Acdc prem and metallic pro. Metallic is a ton of fun and acdc rocks. Can't go wrong with either. With family over metallic gets a bit more love. Everyone loves to see sparky fry. I just picked up a star trek pro. I forgot how fun that game is. It really gets going.

#17 6 years ago

I own both, love both. Prefer Metallica more, but like acdc music better. Metallica is simply nuts when it gets going. Acdc is faster, and more difficult, but a good game feels special. I would have to toss a coin myself.

#18 6 years ago

This is a hard decision I own and love both games but I have noticed that I usually play ac dc more than Metallica so I vote ac dc.

#19 6 years ago

I feel Metallica is a better shooting game (but not by much)

however, I love how the music is integrated into the rules and modes with ac/dc.

#20 6 years ago

Had a loaded met pro and loaded luci premium and acdc only lasted few months but met been here for going on 3 years..... met is just a much better game imo.

#21 6 years ago

Ive owned both and sold both, but acdc vault premium is back on the way.

#22 6 years ago

I own Premiums on both. Metallica by a mile. It's way more fun, the modes are more interesting, crank it up is exciting and the metal ramps feel and sound awesome.

#23 6 years ago

I’m a huge Metallica fan but this one poll is really stretching my loyalty. AC/DC Prem/le/whatever is awesome and at that price point I’d take it over Met LE but at the $5k price point I think Met Pro is more game for the money over ac/dc pro

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from PB-Guy:

My 2 cents. I've owned Premium versions of both. I have moved on from my AC/DC and I still own my Metallica, I think it has more of a shot variety, and is just a great game.

Same here. And once I got tired of the Metallica songs, I changed them all to Rush songs. This Metallica Prem will never leave my collection. Honestly don't miss ACDC and its been gone for 3 years.

#25 6 years ago

Have friends that have both pins & have played all versions extensively.
Both are good, but I give MET the edge. Actually, I kind of like the Met pro better than the premium for what that's worth.

#26 6 years ago

got a metle and acdc premium. tough call, enjoy both for different reasons. but i play metallica more.

#27 6 years ago
#28 6 years ago

Two great games. I'd buy the one that comes up at a fair price in your area.

#29 6 years ago

Pro versions MET

Premium/LE - tough call. Both are great and my 2 favorite sterns. Ac/dc is more difficult in my opinion.

I own MET pro and acdc pre - enjoy them both a lot.

#30 6 years ago

Both games are great, so no worries with whichever you pick.

AC/DC is a bit more subtle than MET. MET can be kind of a bash-fest. But CIU is exquisite.

AC/DC has one major flaw. People get locked into a strategy that gives them the most points. They play it the exact same small way over and over, and they get bored with it. They play like every game is a tournament. That's a shame because they miss out on a game that has so much to offer.

#31 6 years ago

Had both in premium and hated selling but would give the edge to AC/DC. Met felt more like chopping wood bash bash bash rinse repeat, and AC/DC had more ramp flow. I know I make Met sound bad but really both excellent games just prefer ramp/flow more than bash.

#32 6 years ago

Metallica if you like bash bash bash.

AC/DC is you like flow flow flow.

I’ve owned both premium versions. While Metallica is the more ‘fun factor’ pin; AC/DC has more to offer in a home use environment. I’m more of a Metallica fan music wise, but AC/DC feels more Pinball to me.

Love both pins but I also think both are suited for a larger lineup in that when you get pissed off at AC/DC, you can leave it be for a week or 2 before coming back. And Metallica is so easy to just pick up and play that it gets boring a little quicker so good to have other games in the mix to revisit the game from time to time.

If I played both today and had to pick, it would be Metallica. If I had to play both for a week straight and pick, it would be ACDC. If that makes any sense...

#33 6 years ago

Even though I enjoy the music of AC/DC more than Metallica, I enjoy the Metallica pin a lot more than AC/DC.

#34 6 years ago

Buy the one whose music you tolerate best because you are going to be hearing the same stuff ad nauseam. Really takes the wind out of the sails. After being around them and playing them, and listening while others played...UGH! "I overdose on you!"

Medrainica = MEH!

AC/DC = meh

In a home setting I would look for something else...AC/DC if I HAD to pick.

#35 6 years ago

This is a tough choice. Both are excellent and quite possibly some of the best Stern has ever done, period.

Both game's feature unconventional rule sets but AC\DC is the more obtuse of the two. Despite the game being around for many years now I still see confusion about how the VIP passes work, how add-a-ball works during multiball, what the overarching goals are and so forth.

I'll echo that AC\DC is absolutely a more "score oriented" game than Metallica. It has less in the way of traditional modes and scoring strategies change depending on the song you are playing. There's also a huge focus on getting the Song Jackpot and trying to multiply its cash out for huge points. That's supremely satisfying, but completing a Crank it Up on Metallica is too.

Of course, there is a major (and awesome) wizard mode in AC\DC, but the journey to it is long, hard and not quite that apparent on first glance. Most will never get to experience it and so what they are left with is shooting lit shots for points. On Metallica you always feel like you are progressing towards something bigger (like a Crank it Up). On AC\DC that feeling's not really there unless you are specifically playing for Encore. You're not going to happen upon it by accident like you can a Crank it Up.

The best choice though? Have both machines.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Buy the one whose music you tolerate best because you are going to be hearing the same stuff ad nauseam. Really takes the wind out of the sails.

That's where I would at least say that met is better only because it's full of call outs which range from not to great to all time classic.
Much better than the no fear retread in Acdc IMO

#37 6 years ago

I sold my AC/DC after a couple of years, but Metallica is good enough to stick around long term. Both are fun games, but Metallica by a mile for me.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Metallica if you like bash bash bash.
AC/DC is you like flow flow flow.

MET also wins for Art Art Art

#39 6 years ago

No survey on the topic??

Own a Met Pro, played lots of ACDC. Metallica all the way.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

MET also wins for Art Art Art

Met wins im most categories imo....

#41 6 years ago

I have both and their both great...if I had to choose one I would go with AC/DC....Met has better art...AC/DC much better use of the music....both have great flow...

#42 6 years ago

My pick is Met. I had a Pro and eventually upgraded to a Premium. Still own it. Love it.

Have owned AC/DC Premium twice. Like it, but don't love it. No longer own it.

#43 6 years ago

Owned both and only MET remains. Like the art,the music, the shots, and the DMD much more than ACDC.

#44 6 years ago

Both ! 2 monster games

#45 6 years ago

I've got to look up which tunes Metallica incorporates...

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Much better than the no fear retread in Acdc IMO

I don't know man, hearing Steve Ritchie yell "Holy sh*t!!!" when you have a monster ball is pretty awesome.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I've got to look up which tunes Metallica incorporates...

Check this young guitar virtuoso out covering Metallica . Good luck . I like KISS LE best . But its not what you seem to be into . Happy Holidays
Moth Into Flame

Counter point AC/DC - Let There Be Rock (from Live at River Plate)

#48 6 years ago

Call outs on MET way better than AC/DC as you got real band members.

AC/DC more of a players game with strategy and a very difficult to get to wizard mode.

MET is easier for casual players but feels a bit wood choppy initially but really excels on the CIU modes and beyond.

If AC/DC gets a final code update then that would nudge it ahead of MET.

And just to throw a spanner in the works.......

I prefer KISS to both

( and final update still to come ).

#49 6 years ago

don't like the music from either but i do like the way both play. i do like the music in the matrix pin though.
Europe is where the music is at! house/techno/trance/dub step/D&B.
wish stern or someone would make a pin with actual GOOD current music in it.
One that would actually sound good with a sub woofer kit.

#50 6 years ago

Here is your solution:

2017/2018: Acdc
2019: MET (swap some music out)

I have both in a 4 game collection and they are keepers!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-or-metallica?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.