• GNR 39 votes
    27%
  • AC?DC 104 votes
    73%

(143 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1349.JPG
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

I'm on the Nighttrain, never coming dowwwnnn.

#52 10 years ago

redundant is the key word here. I really hope Star Trek is more like his STTNG so we have some unique designs and shots to mix things up.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

I'd call it redundant, rather than boring. I don't find ACDC boring at all to play, but I have so many games with the L/R ramp returns and standard loops, that I just can't add another. The rules make ACDC what it is, definitely not anything about the ingenuity of the layout, but rather how simple and familiar it is. With ACDC being nearly identical to T2, and also nearly identical to Steve's Avatar drawing, I look for Star Trek to break out of that rut a little hopefully.

You are one of the few that agree rules are what make ACDC, while the layout is only marginally unique. It makes me wonder why everyone is banking on the new Star Trek being unique... anything redundant will just wind up validating the uniqueness of STTNG.

I have had my GNR for so many years that I've considered swapping it out... but I played it alongside my new SM, and while SM feels like all the other Sterns, GNR feels much more unique, so it has to be considered a keeper along with my other pre-Stern collectible pins for much needed variety.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

You are one of the few that agree rules are what make ACDC, while the layout is only marginally unique.

Agreed if you add music, callouts and light show. All combined make this pin unique.

I am less in love with GnR. Can't really why but I guess the rules could be improved. I actually prefer Tommy.

#55 10 years ago

I'm happy with this.

DSCN1349.JPGDSCN1349.JPG

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I have had my GNR for so many years that I've considered swapping it out... but I played it alongside my new SM, and while SM feels like all the other Sterns, GNR feels much more unique, so it has to be considered a keeper along with my other pre-Stern collectible pins for much needed variety.

Geez, I've been considering trading my GnR lately (even had it listed for trade locally). I'm reminded of why I like it so much with all these posts describing why it is different and great!

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's not the # of shots you have.. it's how you have to use them.
ACDC is all about risk and reward... build things up.. knowing when to cash in.. and not draining before that big payoff. Add on top of that the multiballs to boost your progress.. and you have a crazy game taunting you and dragging you back for more. One has to understand the Song mode model to appreciate ACDC.

Yes that is what I have been told by others. Build up so vs for jackpots so maybe its not the norm for me. It is fast n loud which is great. I will keep trying to have at it. I just think there could have been more call outs I the game besides the songs only. I wanted to see six cannons coming throught the back like center LOTR shot for 6 ball multiball. Orginal artwork would have helped as well.Not saying I hate or dislike but still like GNR more until it grows on me. On a side note it appears your a POTC fan as well so can you please explain this game to me which is boring. It's another pin I had high hopes for but in the end don't see it with slow play and shot selection. All in all it appears only from what I can see so far the Metallica pin has everything I like in a pin.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Yes that is what I have been told by others. Build up so vs for jackpots so maybe its not the norm for me. It is fast n loud which is great. I will keep trying to have at it. I just think there could have been more call outs I the game besides the songs only. I wanted to see six cannons coming throught the back like center LOTR shot for 6 ball multiball

I never noticed on location, and didn't stand out to me until I got it home, was that there are no voices call outs in the game at all.. except for steve's. What I did notice is it's tough to get guidance on what is valuable to you. You learn that the insert behavior is quite significant.. solid, vs flashing, vs mode color vs white vs red. It's highlighting combos vs songs vs super modes. The game is fun for a walk up but frustrating at the same time. You have to do some homework to figure out what's really going on.. like Spectrum or other games with some complex SS workings.

The DMD art is really cool too - but you never get to see it And the lack of traditional call outs means you miss a lot of it too.

Orginal artwork would have helped as well.Not saying I hate or dislike but still like GNR more until it grows on me

I think the artwork is a legit point.. especially with Metallica coming right after it with the DD art. But due to the miniPF.. I honestly don't notice the playfield art much. The colors/etc yes... but the art is mainly the band members and when I don't focus in.. the 'package' still works well for me. I love the TNT plunger, the drops, the Bolts, etc.

On a side note it appears your a POTC fan as well so can you please explain this game to me which is boring. It's another pin I had high hopes for but in the end don't see it with slow play and shot selection. All in all it appears only from what I can see so far the Metallica pin has everything I like in a pin.

Not sure where the POTC reference is from? But my opinion on it is the ship toy is awesome.. but I do not like the ball returns on it myself. I think its a cool package - but it isn't a great players game and suffers from the stern 'shoot everything' type of rules.

Metallica certainly has all the right 'pieces' in comestics and toys.. lets hope the play+rules live up to the rest of the game.

I always play GNR when I get a chance. It's a game that was under appreciated for a long time I think.. plus held back by the lack of replacement ramps for awhile. I always play it at PAPA and I love the soundtrack for it too.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I never noticed on location, and didn't stand out to me until I got it home, was that there are no voices call outs in the game at all.. except for steve's. What I did notice is it's tough to get guidance on what is valuable to you. You learn that the insert behavior is quite significant.. solid, vs flashing, vs mode color vs white vs red. It's highlighting combos vs songs vs super modes. The game is fun for a walk up but frustrating at the same time. You have to do some homework to figure out what's really going on.. like Spectrum or other games with some complex SS workings.
The DMD art is really cool too - but you never get to see it And the lack of traditional call outs means you miss a lot of it too.

I think the artwork is a legit point.. especially with Metallica coming right after it with the DD art. But due to the miniPF.. I honestly don't notice the playfield art much. The colors/etc yes... but the art is mainly the band members and when I don't focus in.. the 'package' still works well for me. I love the TNT plunger, the drops, the Bolts, etc.

Not sure where the POTC reference is from? But my opinion on it is the ship toy is awesome.. but I do not like the ball returns on it myself. I think its a cool package - but it isn't a great players game and suffers from the stern 'shoot everything' type of rules.
Metallica certainly has all the right 'pieces' in comestics and toys.. lets hope the play+rules live up to the rest of the game.
I always play GNR when I get a chance. It's a game that was under appreciated for a long time I think.. plus held back by the lack of replacement ramps for awhile. I always play it at PAPA and I love the soundtrack for it too.

Yes that is what I have been told by others. Build up so vs for jackpots so maybe its not the norm for me. It is fast n loud which is great. I will keep trying to have at it. I just think there could have been more call outs I the game besides the songs only. I wanted to see six cannons coming throught the back like center LOTR shot for 6 ball multiball. Orginal artwork would have helped as well.Not saying I hate or dislike but still like GNR more until it grows on me. On a side note it appears your a POTC fan as well so can you please explain this game to me which is boring. It's another pin I had high hopes for but in the end don't see it with slow play and shot selection. All in all it appears only from what I can see so far the Metallica pin has everything I like in a pin.

Thanks your avatar at quick glance looked like Captain Jack. Ha too funny.

#60 10 years ago

Thanks your Avatar at quick glance looked like Captain Jack. Ha too funny.

hehe.. no.. that's flynn from TRON. back before I was immortalized in a Pin

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

hehe.. no.. that's flynn from TRON. back before I was immortalized in a Pin

That's funny becasue it looked like that me when I first started looking at it...and then realized it was Tron. I think Sparrow uses a red headband anyway, but I'm not overly familair with the movies.

#62 10 years ago

Thanks your Avatar at quick glance looked like Captain Jack.

Fooled me too.

1 year later
#63 9 years ago
Quoted from powerslave:

all game from Data East have always the same game play and the same designe

Quoted from smassa:

ACDC Spend the extra money n buy yourself the premium version.

Quoted from DEN:

GnR got a kickass awsome gameplay, awsome music, only miss u could bee mine on it, love my GnR.

Quoted from playpin35:

I own GnR and an acdc premium.

Quoted from chrisrt2002:

GnR is getting harder to find..

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

For me GNR is a top 10 game. AC/DC is good but it's still too new. We'll see how well it holds up over time. It has a good foundation

Quoted from Baiter:

This isn't simply a Kaminkow game... GNR's design team also included a few other notables: John Borg, Lyman F. Sheats Jr., Slash.

For game play, they are simply different probably give an edge to ACDC because it's a modern day fast Stern with finely tuned Lyman rules. Lyman was involved in both though, and if nothing else
GNR's hand drawn custom art is what separates the two games.

Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I like G&R music better of the two bands.

Quoted from sosage:

On my personal list, GnR was the king of rock band pins...until AC/DC.

Quoted from Wamprat:

This poll needs a none of the above option

Quoted from jalpert:

You just answered your question. Skip Metallica, buy GNR and AC/DC.

I guess we should have them both.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Fooled me too.

Fooled mne as well - in fact it's still appearing to be Capt Sparrow even though i now know that it's not....

#65 9 years ago

I own both of them, and both are great games. I chose to buy Gn'R first since it is a harder game to find, and I am happy with that choice. I think great condition AC/DCs will be easily available for quite a while.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-or-gnr/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.