• GNR 39 votes
    27%
  • AC?DC 104 votes
    73%

(143 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1349.JPG
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

While we're all waiting to play Metallica, I figured this deserved discussion. Which of these two rockin' classics will better stand the test of time.

#2 10 years ago

For my part I bought GNR only because the game (cabinet) is very nice...Couple of game after I realized that I bought game from Data East and all game from Data East have always the same game play and the same designer,AC/DC:I don't likr the cabinet(desing),not fan of AC/DC music but just the gameplay is fantastic,it simply my keeper game

#3 10 years ago

GnR got a kickass awsome gameplay, awsome music, only miss u could bee mine on it, love my GnR.

Acdc le/premium is awsome the pro version with the ugly face on pf, and all fun parts cut offf, plahhhh, pro veersion--- dont bother

#4 10 years ago

Man, this is a BS question. It's damn near impossible to answer. I have an AC/DC premium and a GNR right next to each other, neither are leaving for a very long time if ever.

There is a lot of talk about AC/DC on here so I won't get into it but GNR:

-TONS of modes, and lots of them are fun. A couple are duds, but it doesn't hurt
-REALLY fun 6 ball multi ball wizard mode. 6 balls and magnets, the definition of chaos
-The fastest widebody game I've ever played. It's a widebody that doesn't play like one
-Dialed in, the magnets are a TON of fun
-The ramps are fun. One of them has a trap door.
-This game has a ton of shots, each saucer can be hit forehand or backhand.
-There is a LOT of strategy and a bunch of ways to score points. Keeps the game fresh
-Looks great with LEDs (surprisingly)
-GREAT art on the play field
-I greatly enjoy the theme and music, but it's not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure

I think GNR is an absolute blast, AC/DC is an absolute blast. With AC/DC there are so many creative ways to score and improve, the cannon jackpots are intense, it's a phenomenal game.

My advice. AC/DC premiums are going to be run for a while. HUO sales aren't often and IMO often come with a price tag that doesn't justify it over a NIB.

GNR is a TOUGH game to get without shelling out crazy money. I waited about 2 years then found an example that cleaned up very nicely in 15-20 hours.

I'd look for a GNR because I think Stern is going to be running AC/DC for a while, but I'm not voting

Yah... this statement isn't true.

Quoted from powerslave:

Couple of game after I realized that I bought game from Data East and all game from Data East have always the same game play

#5 10 years ago

I own GnR and an acdc premium. Even though they are both music pins, they are totally different games. I like the music set to the shots and game programming on GnR, but also like how you can select the songs on ac/dc. With leds, the multiball light show is just as awesome on GnR as ac/dc. You have the cannon on ac/dc and the randomness of the magnets on GnR. Sure GnR is another 6 ball game from DE, but the music and programming made it their best effort IMO.
As jalpert said, neither will be leaving anytime soon if at all!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Man, this is a BS question.

Yes, this is a tough one. Both pins are great! I can't wait to add Metallica to my collection. Having a great rock band as a theme for a pinball machine, and rocking out to their music while you play is a win win.

#7 10 years ago

Owned GnR for almost 10 years, It was my 1st DMD pinball machine and really is a fun game. That being said ACDC to me is the much better game and more difficult game. The music sounds better and you get the full songs.

Spend the extra money n buy yourself the premium version.

#8 10 years ago

You just answered your question. Skip metallica, buy GNR and AC/DC.

Quoted from o-din:

I can't wait to add Metallica to my collection.

#9 10 years ago

GnR is getting harder to find.. Start there and the rest will follow

#10 10 years ago

I have both and love both. In fact right now, these are the only 2 pins that I own as I wait for the Metallica that I ordered. I know NIB ACDC Premiums can still be had for $6500 or so. I haven't really paid attention to GnR prices lately. How much have nice GnR's with toppers been selling for lately? There has to be a pretty hefty price difference?

#11 10 years ago

They have both proven the test of time already. It's just harder to find a GnR. It's another great title Stern should rerun. Guns and Roses LE, bring it on, Stern!!!!!!

#12 10 years ago

My only deception with my ACDC is : wish the cabinet was bigger so my wife could use it as my casket for my ride to hell lol. Seriously No doubts in my mind I will keep it forever.

#13 10 years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tommy in this thread. Cheaper then all the other rock pins and has blinders, great modes, and yes, the Who!!!!!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tommy in this thread. Cheaper then all the other rock pins and has blinders, great modes, and yes, the Who!!!!!

The Who music is not in the pin correct? Or is it just all pics that are the stage performance?

#15 10 years ago

For me GNR is a top 10 game. AC/DC is good but it's still too new. We'll see how well it holds up over time. It has a good foundation tho.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from powerslave:

For my part I bought GNR only because the game (cabinet) is very nice...Couple of game after I realized that I bought game from Data East and all game from Data East have always the same game play and the same designer

This isn't simply a Kaminkow game... GNR's design team also included a few other notables: John Borg, Lyman F. Sheats Jr., Slash.

For game play, they are simply different probably give an edge to ACDC because it's a modern day fast Stern with finely tuned Lyman rules. Lyman was involved in both though, and if nothing else
GNR's hand drawn custom art is what separates the two games. It is why it is so refreshing to see Metallica done the old school way.

#17 10 years ago

Please post links to pics & video of GnR's with LED's. I'm curious.

I like both pins, but prefer ACDC for its speed, the bell, and that in competitive play, it doesn't have a single chopping wood strategy (GnR's backhanding the right saucer) that everyone seems to employ.

I will give credit to GnR for having one of the most suprising backhand shots -- the L saucer. It always amazes people who are watching and haven't tried it before when I nail that one consistently.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

it doesn't have a single chopping wood strategy (GnR's backhanding the right saucer) that everyone seems to employ.

Actually, the L saucer arguably holds more points than the R saucer, when you factor in the Doubling orbit. ie, Snakepit = 300 mil, Duff = 200 mil, Gilby = 236 mil, etc etc. Not to mention RIOT mode, which has a 300 mil JP shot....etc, etc.. there's no upper limit on the 3 multis which are in the guitar neck.

The reason most employ the R saucer strategy is the Super Pops award, where the original shooter lane dumps everything into the Pops, so before you've even flipped in the Main multi you might score 100 mil from 6 balls going through the Pops (Unscrupulous players may even let the first couple balls drain on purpose, just to have them autolaunched back into the Pops again).

However, the upgraded shooter lane rev diminishes this strategy greatly, as the launched balls do not go into the Pops from launch.

I'd love to see at least one of the GNR's at PAPA get the upgraded shooter lane rev...

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The Who music is not in the pin correct?

The Who music performed by somebody else is correct.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The Who music performed by somebody else is correct.

Yeah...awful.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah...awful.

Made me want to heave.

#22 10 years ago

it's not bad, and most that play mine dont even know it's not the who. Close enough. Tommy is an awesome players game. If you suck at pinball, you won't care for Tommy.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

and most that play mine dont even know it's not the who. Close enough.

Sounds like a musically inclined bunch, that probably own a lot of K-Tel records.

Would you still like your AC/DC if the music was "close enough"?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If you suck at pinball, you won't care for Tommy.

I don't suck at pinball, and I don't care for Tommy. But seriously, that blinders thing is such a great idea. Nothing but respect there. Unfortunently, it's the usual 10 pounds of shit in a 5 lbs bag. Or "Data East" if you prefer.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

However, the upgraded shooter lane rev diminishes this strategy greatly, as the launched balls do not go into the Pops from launch

I was unaware of such an "upgraded" shooter lane. Can you post a thread link or pics?

(And yes, every time I've played GnR in tourney/league, it's also Super Pops and spam the Right saucer -- which also feeds the pops after every band member "lock" shot. Alternate to mode saucer any time I can lock in a multiball mode.)

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't suck at pinball, and I don't care for Tommy. But seriously, that blinders thing is such a great idea. Nothing but respect there. Unfortunently, it's the usual 10 pounds of shit in a 5 lbs bag. Or "Data East" if you prefer.

Is there any DE or Sega you like?

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

GNR
JP
LAH is kind of fun

Sega...I remember enjoying SST when it first came out. Can't think of any other Segas.

#28 10 years ago

This poll needs a none of the above option.

#29 10 years ago

On my personal list, GnR was the king of rock band pins...until AC/DC. GnR shouldn't be skipped, but it isn't the end all be all Data East either. AC/DC, on the other hand, is *at least* a top 3 Stern if not a top 3 game on my list.

Not to side track, but the DE/Sega line up has a bunch of nice titles outside of GnR. I don't understand how people can be hardcore into modern Sterns but not catch onto some of the DE titles (TFTC, JP, Frank, GnR, etc.). Physically they feel like Sterns, just the gameplay/rules are obviously more antiquated.

*gets off soap box, kicks it into the creek*

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from sosage:

I don't understand how people can be hardcore into modern Sterns but not catch onto some of the DE titles (TFTC, JP, Frank, GnR, etc.). Physically they feel like Sterns, just the gameplay/rules are obviously more antiquated.

Respectfully disagree, I don't think they feel anything alike, the same way DE & Segas don't feel alike. Modern sterns have learned more is not always better; Tron being a perfect example.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

TFTC, Star Trek, GNR, Twister, Godzilla, Hook, Metallica

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

GNR
JP
LAH is kind of fun
Sega...I remember enjoying SST when it first came out. Can't think of any other Segas.

That's not a bad list. Dont' forget Batman forever or Sega. Sega doesn't have many good titles but DE has a bunch. Tommy grows on you over time. My first one I had I liked , but didn't feel like it was a keeper. Second one I liked more. 3rd one I loved. and 4th one is here to stay.

#33 10 years ago

I like G&R music better of the two bands. As for the pin that is a hard question very different pins.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I was unaware of such an "upgraded" shooter lane. Can you post a thread link or pics?

(And yes, every time I've played GnR in tourney/league, it's also Super Pops and spam the Right saucer -- which also feeds the pops after every band member "lock" shot. Alternate to mode saucer any time I can lock in a multiball mode.)

Yeah, I'll take a pic of mine when I get a chance. I was aware that mine was different from day one, and I purchased it in 97 as a reboxed demo unit from a distributor. I noticed right away something was different about the launch, from having played a ton of GNR at the UF student center arcade in college. Lyman emailed me from a post I made on RGP many years ago, giving me a brief history of the GNR shooter lanes (There are 3 revs).

1. Normal black shooter lane, feeds the pops. 2. Non-coated shooter lane, feeds the pops. 3. Non-coated shooter lane, feeds the left flipper.

The 3rd rev tucks under the R ramp, instead of going over it, correcting the problem of shooter lane hangups, while at the same time diminishing the Super Pops/multi strategy and giving the game way more flow and a nicer pace.

#35 10 years ago

anyone upgrade the sound/speakers on GNR with any success?

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

anyone upgrade the sound/speakers on GNR with any success?

I installed Pinballpro speakers a few years ago. Sounds great!

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-and-roses-some-advice-please/page/2#post-291679

#38 10 years ago

I picked up a GnR and it had the Pinball Pro system installed. It rocks!

#39 10 years ago

I wish ACDC played like GNR. I wish ACDC was design like the Metallica pin so far from what I ca see. Basically I wish ACDC had more in it. I know some don't understand but that is just how I feel as shots are limited in my opinion.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I wish ACDC played like GNR. I wish ACDC was design like the Metallica pin so far from what I ca see. Basically I wish ACDC had more in it. I know some don't understand but that is just how I feel as shots are limited in my opinion.

It's not the # of shots you have.. it's how you have to use them.

ACDC is all about risk and reward... build things up.. knowing when to cash in.. and not draining before that big payoff. Add on top of that the multiballs to boost your progress.. and you have a crazy game taunting you and dragging you back for more. One has to understand the Song mode model to appreciate ACDC.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

One has to understand the Song mode model to appreciate ACDC.

Ok, I don't really understand the Song mode model yet, but I do appreciate ACDC . It's fun. It's fast. The outlanes are ball hogs.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from rad:

Ok, I don't really understand the Song mode model yet, but I do appreciate ACDC . It's fun. It's fast. The outlanes are ball hogs.

Ok.. to appreciate it's FULL potential I think it has great 'curb appeal' in its lighting and overall presentation.. and blasting classic rock tunes never hurt. But what really pulls you in to be hooked is the risk/reward system in the games rules. The challenges of having to advance the songs to advance jackpot and then collect it before draining.. combined with the stacking potentials and various strategies onthe different songs... that alone can keep you occupied for ages. Let alone worrying about encore. It's a game that rewards timely play... big time.

#43 10 years ago

yes, AC/DC is unique in the song buildup aspect. It doesn't have modes like we are used to, doesn't have constant multiballs for no reason. But has a very difficult to obtain ending as well. Very uniquely done, with an awesome sound package to boot. They did good with this one, but the fan pattern layout still is boring as hell. WOuldn't be so bad if my other Stern favorites wern't TF and LOTR. Which are all the same damn game practically.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

They did good with this one, but the fan pattern layout still is boring as hell. WOuldn't be so bad if my other Stern favorites wern't TF and LOTR. Which are all the same damn game practically.

But ACDC has a lot more playfield targets that are of interest... and unlike LOTR.. it's not just 'hit the target' once.. but several of the song 'qualifier' shots are do more than one shot.

I think it speaks volumes that even tho both ramps and one loop are easily backhanded... the game is still difficult to advance through. That says alot about the individual milestones that must be passed.. even tho the shot layout is common.

#45 10 years ago

i'm not saying the rules don't make use of the layout. LOTR is excellent example on making full use of the field. I'm just sick of the cookie cutter fan layout. WHat happened to the Stern days like TSPP where they wern't afraid to take a chance with some complex layouts with tons of shots?

#46 10 years ago

The game relies on speed, and the layout is built for speed. Yah, it's a fan layout, but the configuration of the drops and the bell shot IMO make it so it doesn't always react like one.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but the fan pattern layout still is boring as hell

#47 10 years ago

I liked GNR before, but never thought of buying one. Now that ACDC has inspired me to really appreciate a pin with real band music, I have been thinking about buying a GNR, as I was a big fan back in the day.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'm just sick of the cookie cutter fan layout.

Come on, we've been over this, if there is two flippers, there is a "fan layout". They are not all the same because of it, and do not suffer from the same problems.

#49 10 years ago

GNR was the first pin I bought and it is still in it's original location. It's not going anywhere.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

They did good with this one, but the fan pattern layout still is boring as hell.

I'd call it redundant, rather than boring. I don't find ACDC boring at all to play, but I have so many games with the L/R ramp returns and standard loops, that I just can't add another. The rules make ACDC what it is, definitely not anything about the ingenuity of the layout, but rather how simple and familiar it is. With ACDC being nearly identical to T2, and also nearly identical to Steve's Avatar drawing, I look for Star Trek to break out of that rut a little hopefully.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Come on, we've been over this, if there is two flippers, there is a "fan layout". They are not all the same because of it, and do not suffer from the same problems.

Yeah, you know what he meant, though... The L/R return ramps, outer loop, and shots in the same basic pattern and return order. Again, a very fun layout, esp with the music and buildup rules, but not the most inspired layout.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-or-gnr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.