(Topic ID: 78172)

AC/DC: New original translite, meet Helen! (New March run)

By Aurich

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,322 posts
  • 208 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 201 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
DSCN2462.JPG
9200.1.jpg
20141216_223216.jpg
image-396.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_6002.jpg
IMG_6004.jpg
acdcHelen.jpg
image.jpg
20150204_082537.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_2846.JPG
IMG_8443.JPG
IMAG0589.jpg
IMAG0588.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 1322 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 27.
#351 5 years ago

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1403949343189768/

I shared your amazing translite and apron cards with FB hope it generates a ton of orders!

#352 5 years ago

I

Quoted from Aurich:I mean if you want to I'm happy to look at it, but I have no idea right now what my plan would be. I should make sure there isn't already a scan out there I guess.

I don't mind. I need to clean my insert and I'm going to change the rubbers out to sleeves. Shouldn't be to much more to get the face cleaned off. Assuming I can then just place it on my scanner and it will scan it. It's just a HP all in one printer that has a scanner but if this will help I'll do it.

#353 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I don't mind. I need to clean my insert and I'm going to change the rubbers out to sleeves. Shouldn't be to much more to get the face cleaned off. Assuming I can then just place it on my scanner and it will scan it. It's just a HP all in one printer that has a scanner but if this will help I'll do it.

Sure, if you can make a 300 dpi scan I can at least figure out how things might lay out over the elements.

#354 5 years ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1403949343189768/
I shared your amazing translite and apron cards with FB hope it generates a ton of orders!

Let me know when the translite arrives. I'll make an interactive BB for you customized to that translite.

#355 5 years ago

Wow, this is the first time I am considering an ACDC PRO. Couldn't stand the angus mug...
Terrific work Aurich.

#356 5 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

Let me know when the translite arrives. I'll make an interactive BB for you customized to that translite.

One of the first people to pre-order the translite is working with someone on an interactive backbox lighting kit for Helen. I meant to post about it but have been too busy. Ties into the game flashers and does some kind of fading effect on the lava. Be curious to see how it comes out.

#357 5 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

Thanks Gio!!!!

FYI to everyone else - I own a Pinball Refinery pro modded to the max and they made an interactive backbox kit and undercab that is out of this world for the machine (PBR AC/DC pro #2) - I ordered the Helen kit as Aurich did an AMAZING job - now I will still have an amazing machine, thanks again Aurich and Gio and PBR!!

#358 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure, if you can make a 300 dpi scan I can at least figure out how things might lay out over the elements.

I'll give it a shot.

#359 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

One of the first people to pre-order the translite is working with someone on an interactive backbox lighting kit for Helen. I meant to post about it but have been too busy. Ties into the game flashers and does some kind of fading effect on the lava. Be curious to see how it comes out.

Yup arcade upkeep is working on it should be very cool. He has it available on another thread $150.

#360 5 years ago

Yep, customized interactive backbox kit is ready to go as soon as the translites ship! It replaces the games fluorescent tube with LEDs for a fuller more even light, has many game interactive flashers colored specifically for Helen and features a dual color changing lava effect. Thanks to Aurich and dannunz getting this kit together!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-helen-led-flasher-kit-make-helen-flash#post-1420386

http://www.arcadeupkeep.com/#/bb-fk-acdc-helen/4582345553

Oh and it's on sale, $20 off!

Thanks guys!

#361 5 years ago

How long will the sale last?

#362 5 years ago

I'll keep the sale on through the initial run of translites, just looking for a "bulk order" as much as possible to drive the price down. After the first run of translites goes out the sale will be over.

#363 5 years ago

And I'm not looking to hijack this thread, please post questions in the other thread so we don't derail this one, I hate when that happens!

#364 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeUpkeep:

And I'm not looking to hijack this thread, please post questions in the other thread so we don't derail this one, I hate when that happens!

For the record I told him it was cool to post in here though.

#365 5 years ago

Any pricing about translite and decal packages yet?

#366 5 years ago
Quoted from OlDirty:

Any pricing about translite and decal packages yet?

I need to lay out my decal sheet so I can verify the final cost. I'll see if I can do that in the plane ride back to CA tomorrow, gonna be a long flight with the jet stream.

#367 5 years ago
Quoted from bub2010:

Here is the first picture of Helen installed on a real AC/DC Pro! Might need to make a very minor adjustment, but she instantly this changes the look of the machine.

Is it too soon to say this will be the best selling pinball mod ever made? I don't think so!

#368 5 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Is it too soon to say this will be the best selling pinball mod ever made? I don't think so!

Lol. Trying to get it right.

#369 5 years ago

OK, this kind of sucked as it was a pain in the butt to get taken all apart but it wouldn't fit fully on my scanner. About an inch short. I took a scan anyways but also took several high res pics for you.

The last pic is the scan. Will this help?IMG_4004.JPG
IMG_4007.JPGIMG_4011.JPGIMG_4012.JPGSCAN0010.JPG

#370 5 years ago

I've got a handful more if this helps any.

#371 5 years ago

Thanks. I'll have to look when I'm not on my phone. Why do people hate that though? Seems kinda innocuous to me.

#372 5 years ago

For me its the ugly square inserts.

#373 5 years ago

Is there a package available that contains the translite, apron decals, cards and the backbox lighting kit that could be combined for international shipping?

#374 5 years ago
Quoted from Pintoxicated:

Is there a package available that contains the translite, apron decals, cards and the backbox lighting kit that could be combined for international shipping?

Not really, I dunno where the interactive lighting guy is, not really a way for us to ship together. My translite boxes are pretty thin too, can only fit flat stuff.

#375 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

For me its the ugly square inserts.

They are kind of random and ill thought out, I can see that.

#376 5 years ago

Seems to me that the lower playfield inserts remind me of an ironman like face... a robot face would fit in nicely, but unfortunately unless you cover them up completely those are always gonna look strange... except like I said... some sort of robot face or something.

#377 5 years ago

I dont know what the designer of the lower playfield artwork has had in his mind while using the square inserts to create a kind of face.
As mentioned, this would be ok for iron man. But not in this machine.

Unfinished artwork, i guess.

Why Not using angus devil face from the Rock n roll train video?

#378 5 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

As mentioned, this would be ok for Iron Man. But not in this machine.

Have you watched an IronMan movie? Its heavy with AC/DC music, I cant wait to get an IM back!

#379 5 years ago

I was thinking with the lower playfield, if you put a big sticker on it, it's going to feel like an overlay or mylar. Not going to feel right, BUT..... if you make something like a translite, reverse print it, and have all the mounting holes cut in. You could just lay it on top and the plastic would feel like a clearcoated playfield. No wear, no slowdown, and easy to reverse. (well kind of, just take the mini playfield apart and take it off). Just as easy to print as a vinyl sticker would be. Except you don't need adhesive. Doing on some stock similar to your speaker panel maybe a hair thinner.

devil_woman_by_garv23-d3ialqo.jpg
#380 5 years ago

I dont know what the designer of the lower playfield artwork has had in his mind while using the square inserts to create a kind of face.
As mentioned, this would be ok for Iron Man. But not in this machine.
Unfinished artwork, i guess.
Why Not using angus devil face from the Rock n roll train video?

Have people forgotten about this already? It's supposed to be the Angus face exactly like on the Pro, with the three rectangular inserts being his eyes and mouth. At least it was until the Pinside uproar about how ugly it looked on the Pro.

#381 5 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Have people forgotten about this already? It's supposed to be the Angus face exactly like on the Pro, with the three rectangular inserts being his eyes and mouth. At least it was until the Pinside uproar about how ugly it looked on the Pro.

No, not forgotten.
In fact, i never disliked angnus face.
But what i ment was that the now available design looks not as if it was spend a lot of time to create an alternate solution.

#382 5 years ago

No, not forgotten.
In fact, i never disliked angnus face.
But what i ment was that the now available design looks not as if it was spend a lot of time to create an alternate solution.

Yeah, I'd say it was very last minute when it happened. I'd be ok with Angus, it's his and Malcolm's band afterall

#383 5 years ago

I got a 700 mil today. 3 ball, no extras, tournament mode.
I never disliked Angus face either. It's the main mug from HTH afterall.
The 'Hell' LP isn't very nice - should be worth more points.

#384 5 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Have you watched an IronMan movie? Its heavy with AC/DC music, I cant wait to get an IM back!

Except for in #3. They didn't play one AC/DC song. I left the theater kind of dissapointed as I was hyped up to see Iron Man and hear Shoot to Thrill

#385 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks. I'll have to look when I'm not on my phone. Why do people hate that though? Seems kinda innocuous to me.

I don't really have a problem with it myself. It could be better though and we are always looking for better around here lol. I like it better than a Angus' ugly mug. If you come up with something that is better I'd be for it. You can at least have fun trying. It is a very unique area to work with and as I am usually full of design ideas I got bupkis on this one.

#386 5 years ago

That decal looks amazing!

I've never been that critical of the Angus in the center of the playfield, but after seeing how it looks with the decal applied, I'm going to notice it even more each time I play.

I guess I need the translite AND the decal.

Was it fairly easy to apply without getting a bubble underneath? Is it thin enough to not really affect the ball? Is it removable? (Sorry if I missed answers to these as I tried to scan and catch up on the new posts in this thread.)

Amazing job on this stuff, Aurich! Was disappointed to see Luci released after I'd bought my Pro, but I think Helen will make me forget all about her.

#387 5 years ago

I didn't have an issue with getting any bubbles underneath it, but I do build virtual pins and apply artwork to the sides.. so I am used to dealing with pretty big panels worth of artwork and do have some experience here. The smaller the graphic though the easier it is to do without bubbles.

What is somewhat hard is the fact that you have to line it up just right... and there aren't many horizontal or vertical reference points. It took me a couple of peel ups in order to get it the way you see it and it is just a smidge off and the decal is just ever so slightly larger than it needs to be in this beta test.

As far as the thickness... I haven't seen it effect ball travel at all.

#388 5 years ago
Quoted from bub2010:

As far as the thickness... I haven't seen it effect ball travel at all.

I tried a thicker one before this one, and it didn't really seem to affect things either, but you could feel the lip with your finger for sure, so it theory it maybe could if the ball was moving really slowly? That's one reason we wanted this new thinner one. Not messing with the ball is pretty key. Not that the ball ever moves slow on an AC/DC Pro.

So the only downside to this thinner one, is that it's so thin you can apparently just barely see the playfield face through it. I need to try and check this out for myself when I get home today, on the flight back from NY now.

bub2010 if you want to speak about your experience with it feel free.

Quoted from kid_ego:

Is it removable?

Yes. It's not meant to be removed and reused, probably wrinkle the edge prying it up anyways, but it's meant to be removed without leaving anything on your playfield. Sticks down strong enough that it's not coming up unless you want it to though.

I haven't installed this one yet, but the previous test decal I did I found that being able to peel it back up was handy during install, used that to help get rid of air bubbles.

#389 5 years ago
Quoted from bub2010:

It took me a couple of peel ups in order to get it the way you see it and it is just a smidge off and the decal is just ever so slightly larger than it needs to be in this beta test.

I'm actually thinking I might make the decal a little bigger, not smaller. Just a tiny bit, but then if you're off just slightly installing it you'll still get complete coverage. I can't really think of a downside to this.

#390 5 years ago

Really looking forward to this Aurich. Thanks for taking the time to make it right.

#391 5 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Really looking forward to this Aurich. Thanks for taking the time to make it right.

Did I mention new spinner decals too? Got a request for them and some measuring assistance (thanks Steve and Bill) and I had just enough room on the decal sheet to add them. Kept it simple with a Helen crop that's the same on both sides, and shifted the flames around for the sides to hopefully get a flickering animation when you get a good spin going. Something like this:

spinner.gif

I'll include them with any decal set, be it the full Pro package or just the apron decals.

Edit: Hmm, Pinside is stripping the animation from my gif for some reason. If you want to see it animated look here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227626/Shared/spinner.gif

#392 5 years ago

I can see the animation in Pinside. No problem here. Looks cool.

#393 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Did I mention new spinner decals too?

WooHoo!! You DA MAN!!

#394 5 years ago

Nice work Aurich. If I didn't have a Luci I'd jump on this in a heartbeat.

#395 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

If I didn't have a Luci I'd jump on this in a heartbeat.

I have a Luci coming and she will be on the sides but with Helen on the translite, triangles, spinners and cards.

#396 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Did I mention new spinner decals too?

Hmm. a little bit toooooo much Hellen ?

Spinner should be designed for "war machine"

#397 5 years ago

how thick is the overlay ? on other machines i have placed a protection film from 3m with 0.2mm thickness..

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=vvvvv8YbnG3W59Xx60J159cZIZYUIGYbkZwvIZwvIvvvvvv--

and if the ball is slow, it will be affected.

#398 5 years ago

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the flames speaker panel sticker that someone else is selling. It was commented that the flames on it were more realistic than the flames on Helen so they wouldn't be a good match. Aurich, are you or anyone else thinking about making a sticker to put on the speaker panel that would more fit with the Helen art? I think that one piece would really complete the transformation of the machine.

#399 5 years ago

I hope I'm not letting the cat out of the bag, but how long until there is a full Helen kit including cabinet art?

Too much? Nope!

#400 5 years ago

Looks great!

Quoted from bub2010:

Ok guys... just got her in the house and lemme tell you I couldn't get her "undressed" fast enough ....... Here is the first picture of Helen installed on a real AC/DC Pro! Might need to make a very minor adjustment, but she instantly this changes the look of the machine.

DSCN0875.jpg 291 KB

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
There are 1322 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 27.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside