(Topic ID: 78172)

AC/DC: New original translite, meet Helen! (New March run)

By Aurich

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
DSCN2462.JPG
9200.1.jpg
20141216_223216.jpg
image-396.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_6002.jpg
IMG_6004.jpg
acdcHelen.jpg
image.jpg
20150204_082537.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_2846.JPG
IMG_8443.JPG
IMAG0589.jpg
IMAG0588.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 1,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 27.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Aurich, here is a tip from someone who has been through this twice.
Ask people to put their Pinside screen name in the Paypal notes section.
You would be surprised how many people send payment with almost no way to tell who it is from.

Haha yup. I've done this before myself with The Shadow. Half the time I see nothing in the notes area, and then get a PM from a nice Pinsider sheepishly admitting they forgot a minute later.

I keep everything organized in Excel by Pinside name, makes it easy to track people and PM if there's a problem or anything.

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

I may have to get one for my swap box . Nice work Aurich!

Just let me know! We're already gonna be good for the minimum order, so this is happening, but I'm going to leave the first run open until the order pace slows down, I hate having to tell someone "too late, should have PM'd me a few hours ago". But at some point obviously I need to just shut it down and put the order in, don't want to leave everyone hanging for too long. That's why I don't collect money until it ships to me, don't like holding people's cash longer than necessary.

#103 10 years ago

Aurich strikes again.........He is the man!!!!!!!!! Aurich, great work, but if I could recommend one thing. The lettering looks odd as the "AC" and the "DC" are not together. Still a lot of negative space in the foreground. Also "Hellen" looks fantastic, don't be afraid to make her bigger!!! Is this the final rendering or are you considering any changes. You are going to become a legend with these translites!

#104 10 years ago

Man you are one hell of an artist. Hats off...

#105 10 years ago

Just ran the test print of translite over to a friend's house since I don't have any Sterns right now. He doesn't have AC/DC, so stuck it on his WPT. Not exactly the same, but gives you an idea of what it looks like on a machine at least for now. Just a camera phone shot, so not exactly what it looks like it person, the phone sensor tends to make the florescent tube's uneven lighting exaggerated, so it's a little blown out in the middle, and a little dark at the top and bottom compared to real life.

This is an older version of the design, so don't pay too much attention to anything that seems different (like the missing fishnet sleeves for an obvious example) but the colors and design are virtually the same, close enough for this kind of testing.

wpt-test.jpgwpt-test.jpg

#106 10 years ago

Dude, much respect for your work. I know this sounds silly but I would buy The Shadow because of your translite.

#107 10 years ago

looks good dude.... i'm loving the translite and cards too.

but for some reason the name HELEN reminds me of one of these ladies

librarylady.jpglibrarylady.jpg

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Aurich, great work, but if I could recommend one thing. The lettering looks odd as the "AC" and the "DC" are not together.

Honestly I'm a little leery of using AC/DC's logo, so this was a way to do the design with a compromise. That's all done with a font, never touched their logo, which is rendered a little different. It's a bit of a dodge, but it makes me more comfortable, and I think it's visually interesting.

I'm happy with the design as is, the scale and balance feels good to me in person, once I got the test print I was happy. After people start ordering something I basically don't want to mess with things overmuch anyways, this forum knows all about pre-ordering something and then having it change, and no one likes that.

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Dude, much respect for your work. I know this sounds silly but I would buy The Shadow because of your translite.

A couple people told me they actually did that! I consider it the highest compliment someone could give me. Thanks!

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

but for some reason the name HELEN reminds me of one of these ladies

Dude, she looks kinda devilish too!

#111 10 years ago

haha.... i guess you are right. those "old school" librarians are kinda devilish and up to shenanigans. i would never mess with her!

Quoted from Aurich:

Dude, she looks kinda devilish too!

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Honestly I'm a little leery of using AC/DC's logo, so this was a way to do the design with a compromise. That's all done with a font, never touched their logo, which is rendered a little different. It's a bit of a dodge, but it makes me more comfortable, and I think it's visually interesting.

Thanks for the explanation, totally makes sense. Great work!

#113 10 years ago

Nice cards. Thanks

#114 10 years ago

Looks good!

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

Nice cards. Thanks

You're welcome. It's all a trick to make you fall in love with Helen and buy my translite of course!

Seriously, since I rarely play AC/DC I can never remember the song/shot connections, so I figured a card that made it easy to look up would be a cool thing. For guests if not for yourself. I'd use it at your house!

#116 10 years ago

Sincere thanks for posting files so that those of us with custom songs can type in their names.

People like you that make this hobby great.

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Sincere thanks for posting files so that those of us with custom songs can type in their names.
People like you that make this hobby great.

My pleasure. I was gonna charge for doing custom ones just because it's a pain and I wanted to discourage too many people from asking me, but when I realized I could do it this way and give it away instead I was much happier. It's always nice to be appreciated though, so thanks!

I do make money off my translites, but they're a ton more work, not mention have a lot more actual costs associated with them. The apron cards are just fun, I'll keep doing them even for games I don't own. I just posted my JP cards recently for instance, I don't own that one either, did them for a friend.

#118 10 years ago

I'm one of those guys who loves the Angus face on my Pro... but I'm totally in for the 'Pro Package' of the translite and decal! Can you give us a faint tease of what the decal may look like?

Great work dude!

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I'm one of those guys who loves the Angus face on my Pro... but I'm totally in for the 'Pro Package' of the translite and decal! Can you give us a faint tease of what the decal may look like?
Great work dude!

Tell you what, I'll post something tomorrow. I need to go pack Shadow translites tonight, no time to get images ready. I don't want to build them up too much.

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Tell you what, I'll post something tomorrow. I need to go pack Shadow translites tonight, no time to get images ready. I don't want to build them up too much.

You're such a tease

#121 10 years ago

Aurich - was playing a bit of ACDC tonight and thought of something you might be able to do that would look pretty cool. Below is a picture of the apron in ACDC. Note those two wicked looking decals on the top of the apron. Now don't get me wrong, they are pretty sweet (note: sarcasm is always hard to interpret when typing on a keyboard) but I'm thinking if you could somehow create a couple of apron decals that tie in with your translite and the apron cards that would look pretty nice.

Not sure if this is something that's possible or not, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

IMG_3202.JPGIMG_3202.JPG
#122 10 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

Not sure if this is something that's possible or not, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Anything is possible.

I think it's a great idea actually. This is where not having a machine really hampers me though, they're odd shapes, I'd really need to scan them to be able to duplicate.

Tell you what though, if you can put down a credit card over one of them (blank out the numbers of course) and take a picture from as directly overhead as you can manage, so they're dead on in the camera view, not from an angle, I could work with that. The credit card is for scale and to allow me to square up against any lens distortion.

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Anything is possible.
I think it's a great idea actually. This is where not having a machine really hampers me though, they're odd shapes, I'd really need to scan them to be able to duplicate.
Tell you what though, if you can put down a credit card over one of them (blank out the numbers of course) and take a picture from as directly overhead as you can manage, so they're dead on in the camera view, not from an angle, I could work with that. The credit card is for scale and to allow me to square up against any lens distortion.

If it were me I would use a ruler on the bottom and one on the high side. Of course with a straight on shot like you mentioned. Assuming he has two rulers lol.

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

If it were me I would use a ruler on the bottom and one on the high side. Of course with a straight on shot like you mentioned. Assuming he has two rulers lol.

Sure, that would work too. Credit card is just close by hand for most people, work just as well, it's a known size and squared off.

Shadow packed, calling it a night, thanks everyone for the great response today.

#125 10 years ago

Those decals can be lifted off in a second, so I've taken them off and scanned them (attached as a PDF below, just open each one up). I also traced it and measured it up (remember up I'm here in Canada so it's millimetres that I'm rolling with), and attached that as well.

Aurich - shoot me a PM with your email if you'd like me to send the scans over as a different format.

Edit: for some reason the PDF won't attach properly, I'll try doing it in a different format to post up.

The dimensions are (in case you can't read those numbers):

17, 139, 18, 110, 10, 86.5

ACDC left side.jpgACDC left side.jpg
ACDC right side.jpgACDC right side.jpg
dimensions.jpgdimensions.jpg

#126 10 years ago

No respect for copyrights?

#127 10 years ago

Hello Aurich
is this now the final version of the translite?

Andreas

#128 10 years ago

This thread is getting legs....love it.

#129 10 years ago

Everyone knows you spell Hellen with 2- hockey sticks !

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Link away. Anything that helps this great hobby I am all for.

+1

#131 10 years ago

Holy crap! Brilliant ! I want a set of those triangles wit some hotness.

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

Aurich - shoot me a PM with your email if you'd like me to send the scans over as a different format.

Done! Thanks for the extra effort, I'll try and figure out something to do with those since you went through all that trouble.

#133 10 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

This thread is getting legs....love it.

The response from people I leaked it to early like yourself was what made me feel good about starting this thread.

#134 10 years ago

I've been getting some PMs asking about when people pay, and do they have to monitor this thread etc. Well if you are still reading this thread here's how it works:

I'll send out a mass PM to everyone when it's time, but I don't do that until after I've ordered the prints and my printer tells me they're about to ship to me. Then I collect the money while they're in transit and break down the package and send out to everyone.

So you'll get a message from me, no need to do anything, and I don't ask for money until the product exists.

#135 10 years ago

I can't imagine having an ACDC and not getting one of these, either to replace the current band photo or to hang on the wall.

It's going to make my ACDC fit in so much better with the Metallica sitting right next to it.

Great job, Aurich!

Is this going to be a "one and done" on the printing run, meaning it will be a bit of a collectible as well (and adding to the reason everyone should buy one now...while they can)?

#136 10 years ago

I think this is beautiful. Saying that, I think the premium (orignal) art package just works well together. I like the premium translight. Reminds me of a band poster. Cab looks like a worn marshall stack. My only complaint would be the PF photoshopped band members. Don't have any objections to band members being there, but the technology exists to make that much crisper. Helen is sweet looking and you should sell alot of these to folks that don't want to go for Luci.

#137 10 years ago

Question . what is the printed material it is on.? is it same as original translite . plastic

#138 10 years ago

I want to buy this and put it on my wall until I get myself an AC/DC. Helen is my new phone wallpaper.

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Anything is possible.

To build on this.....any thought on maybe doing a complete apron wrap? I can already envision a wrap with flames and color changing LEDs underneath the flames to give it a tricked out effect.

But either way, awesome work and can't wait to see Helen on my machine.

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

Is this going to be a "one and done" on the printing run, meaning it will be a bit of a collectible as well (and adding to the reason everyone should buy one now...while they can)?

I won't intentionally limit it, but I do have minimum print runs, so at some point there aren't enough people interested and something is "done". With The Shadow it looks like this 3rd run is possibly the last one. Who knows with this. Could be a do a few runs, could be this first one is it and done. So it's not an artificial LE model, but if you think you can just pick one up later you might be disappointed is all.

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from luch:

Question . what is the printed material it is on.? is it same as original translite . plastic

These are photographic translites, printed on a glossy stock, with a diffuser layer behind. They're more like the old Williams tranlites than the Stern ones, they're a heavier weight stock. That's one reason I ship them flat instead of rolled in a tube.

They light up really nice, not like some of the cheapo eBay ones that wash out when you stick a light behind them. Everyone who bought my Shadow translite was really happy with the way they looked, and this is the same material, so I would expect people to be pleased this time too. I stand by my product if there are any issues though.

#142 10 years ago
Quoted from Dante:

To build on this.....any thought on maybe doing a complete apron wrap? I can already envision a wrap with flames and color changing LEDs underneath the flames to give it a tricked out effect.

To be honest that's not really my style, I like aprons cleaner and simpler, so not really something I'd do. If someone wants to develop an apron wrap that matches they totally have my blessing.

#143 10 years ago

Okay, as I've told a few people I realized that I needed to weigh some things, my international shipping extra charge was based on my experience with the Shadow translite, but that package had a speaker panel in it. The good news is without the speaker panel it drops under 2 pounds, and that shaves a little off the shipping. So I've lowered it by $5, now it's $150. Best I can do, but hey, $5 less isn't nothing I guess.

Edited opening post to reflect the new cost too.

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from digitalbytes:

I want to buy this and put it on my wall until I get myself an AC/DC. Helen is my new phone wallpaper.

The only thing I'd say is when these translites aren't lit they're a little dark, they really need the backlight to pop. So if anyone actually wants to do that I would recommend a Swap Box or something else that is lit up.

You're the second person to say they're using this as phone wallpaper by the way, that's awesome, glad you like it.

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from joesaid:

No respect for copyrights?

Quiet Joe. Don't ruin it for us.

#146 10 years ago

i wonder if you do those triangles in static sticker format. People can just put them over the normal ones without worrying about damaging anything.

#147 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i wonder if you do those triangles in static sticker format. People can just put them over the normal ones without worrying about damaging anything.

Hmm, the decal stuff I'm messing with now is removable, it's like a Fathead, sticky but only mildly so, it seems to peel off a playfield with no problems at least. I honestly don't know how it would do over a sticker though.

#148 10 years ago

I think these have a rough type texture, that feels waxy. So I don't think they will stick that tight. Similar to the Transformers ones.

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hmm, the decal stuff I'm messing with now is removable, it's like a Fathead, sticky but only mildly so, it seems to peel off a playfield with no problems at least. I honestly don't know how it would do over a sticker though.

Those original stickers pop right off. Easy to remove and out on a sticker sheet for later.

#150 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The only thing I'd say is when these translites aren't lit they're a little dark, they really need the backlight to pop. So if anyone actually wants to do that I would recommend a Swap Box or something else that is lit up.

Thanks for the heads up. In case your like me and are new here and have no idea what a Swap Box is...check this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swap-box-introducing-a-new-game-roompinball-led-light-box-display

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

16,500 (Firm)
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
$ 12.95
$ 29.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 27.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-new-original-translite-meet-helen/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.