(Topic ID: 23192)

AC/DC New Code Today? What Are The Odds?

By jalpert

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by DNO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Code Today?”

• 0-20% 85 votes
      81%
    • 21%-30% 6 votes
      6%
    • 31%-40% 3 votes
      3%
    • 41%-50% 5 votes
      5%
    • 51%-60% 2 votes
      2%
    • 61%-70% 1 vote
      1%
    • 71%-80% 0 votes
    • 81%-90% 0 votes
    • 91%-100% 3 votes
      3%

(105 votes)

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

Every AC/DC update to this point has landed on a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday? What are the odds we'll get one today?

#2 11 years ago

I'd say, "Don't hold your breath"

#3 11 years ago

I'm being silly, I talked to tech support yesterday, casually asked about it, maybe something else in the future for premium.

#4 11 years ago

Wishful thinking. I am off work today that would be a great day off present.

#5 11 years ago

We know 1.55 is out there. Why not let us have it to play with while he works on 1.6 or whatever.

#6 11 years ago

Because it is Stern. 00.1 % Chance for today. That's going out on a limb.
    Al

#7 11 years ago

Oh well. Maybe next week.

1 week later
    #8 11 years ago

It's Friday again. 1 week later. Are we gonna get the code today?????

I keep checking the Stern site every 15 minutes to see.

I have today off work guess I got nothing better to do so I hope they put the code out today so I can play all day.

#9 11 years ago

Word is that it is complete, and was in the approval process (whatever that means) as of early this week. Heard this from 2 sources in the last 24 hours.

#10 11 years ago

I have heard to from a reliable source that it was supposed to be released "this week". We'll this is the last week of the day....do or die.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Word is that it is complete, and was in the approval process (whatever that means) as of early this week. Heard this from 2 sources in the last 24 hours.

+1 Papa was just extreme play testing.

#12 11 years ago

It will be here soon enough, I just want it to be awesome. If that takes another two weeks then so be it.

I just upgraded the woofer in my BiB and I am enjoying playing it right now just to feel the bass! Once the new woofer effect wears off, then I might be a little more looking forward to the update!

#13 11 years ago

As far as we know though, even with this upcoming update, it won't be the last and final update, correct?

#14 11 years ago

Not sure. But if the update includes the bell moving , strobe lights, and color changing LED's I will be one happy camper.

#15 11 years ago

Would be a nice treat for the Holiday weekend

#16 11 years ago

Today would make the most sense. But I am not getting my hopes up.

#17 11 years ago

What time of day did the X-Men code drop? Any news from sources

#18 11 years ago

FB already posted "Where are you playing". Thats usually the last call.

#19 11 years ago

lol at the votes

#20 11 years ago

X-Men code came out on Wed. Aug 8th at the end of the day. So there is still hope we still got another couple of hours.

Maybe they are waiting till the end of the day so they don't have to answer questions till Tuesday.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

B already posted "Where are you playing". Thats usually the last call.

that was 10am on his way to work.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

that was 10am on his way to work.

So, you're sayin' there's a chance!?!

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

So, you're sayin' there's a chance!?!

"Dumb and Dumber"...love that movie.

#24 11 years ago

"Just when I can think you can do something any dumber, you go and do this, AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF"

#26 11 years ago

I would only speculate that the new ACDC code will be released before Stern produces another run that they will want to sell. But I'm hoping sooner than that!

#27 11 years ago

Cant they just throw us a bone? Just a small update.

Just the Multi ball animation, the tilt sound and Combo color changing inserts. Done. Give it to us.

#28 11 years ago

I think they are smart to wait and give us something "special" but I still want it now

#29 11 years ago

I agree. What I saw at PAPA would work for me for now.

#30 11 years ago

Agree.
    Small updates are better than no updates.

#31 11 years ago

One big update and no more updates is better than a heap of small updates..

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Agree.
    Small updates are better than no updates.

Yep spot on

#33 11 years ago

I never thought I would say this but I agree with RGR :p

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

One big update and no more updates is better than a heap of small updates..

No it's not. If you get a ton of small updates and just want one big one then you can ignore them until they stop coming then install the last one. Then you have your big update. Why is it better for the rest of us to wait?

#35 11 years ago

ok lets say they do 6 updates... one per month. Or one update in 6 months time. Would it not be better to get it all done in one go?? As you know I am against updates all together and that you get the game completed at the time of release. If that were to be the case then you wouldnt have threads like this asking wtf is going on with the code for a game that was released early this year.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

ok lets say they do 6 updates... one per month. Or one update in 6 months time. Would it not be better to get it all done in one go?? As you know I am against updates all together and that you get the game completed at the time of release. If that were to be the case then you wouldnt have threads like this asking wtf is going on with the code for a game that was released early this year.

You can look at it however you like.
    I would still rather be playing the 1.55 code from Papa while waiting for the finished product.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

You can look at it however you like.
    I would still rather be playing the 1.55 code from Papa while waiting for the finished product.

Me to at least we have the game lol

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Actually no. Its better for us to give some feedback and have potential for user included features to be included than to be given a finished product that may be ok or not and have it be "done" before anyone ever sees it. As for waiting for a big update, as I already pointed out, someone wanting incremental updates could get them without impacting the guy wanting it all at once. Just like many other software releases they could have incremental beta builds and stable milestone releases. The guy wanting to wait would only install the milestone releases. I really don't know why they don't do something like this especially for small rule change fixes that don't require licensee approval.

#39 11 years ago

I'd rather 1.55 now and wait awhile for the next one.

Its been over 3 months and I'd be happy with the PAPA update for this weekend.

#40 11 years ago

I would like a solid update the papa one was nice but didn't seem to have any rule changes etc... Get tr bell working , wizard mode maybe the mini wiz. Get us that and plan another update after its web hammered around a bit.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

No it's not. If you get a ton of small updates and just want one big one then you can ignore them until they stop coming then install the last one. Then you have your big update. Why is it better for the rest of us to wait?

Well you made the choice of buying a Stern knowing they had a bad history of providing good customer service. In knowing that you only have yourself to blame. So be patient and deal with it.

Personally I would treat it like WOZ. Take as long as you want but make sure that you have a complete game at the time of release. Would you have liked to play WOZ a year ago with half the shit missing?? I think not. So whats the rush in releasing a game then waiting 6-12 months for the code to be complete.

I know that Lyman is under the pump and I am not blaming him one bit, but everyone knows that releasing a product that is not finished is bad business. If your happy with a half arsed game at the time of release then fine... But dont get inpatient when you are left hanging for new code updates.

#42 11 years ago

A year ago WOZ had no software, no lamps, not even an operation system let alone anything for the LCD programmed. Horrible comparison.

Also, Stern has an established track record and it is what it is. We are all assuming WOZ isn't going to be a disaster. It probably won't be, but it might not meet all the expectations either.

Quoted from RGR:

Personally I would treat it like WOZ. Take as long as you want but make sure that you have a complete game at the time of release. Would you have liked to play WOZ a year ago with half the shit missing??

#43 11 years ago

You know the point I am trying to make... Being nitty about irrelevant time frames shows that you agree. Stern may have been around for a while but that does not mean that they can screw the public due to them being the only ones in the market. Given that they have been around for so long you would not think that you would not have owners "walking the plank" to sell games that have just been released. Sure there are some owners that are happy with ACDC, but dont get all inpatient when you have to wait 3,6,12,24 months for the game to be complete. Given that Stern release games every 3-4 months, leaving things behind will not change. The 68 other votes shows the lack of faith. Bottom line, finish the game then release it. I know that Williams and other companies have rom/ coding updates eg: stttng ff changes but these were minor tweaks. Imagine if sttng came out with no Final Frontier and you would have to wait 6 months for that... I think Stern may think that due to the majority of games sold not going on site, they can take their time.

#44 11 years ago

New code won't be far off I'm sure oh and isn't this thread about the AC/DC code not about WOZ and a guy who continues to put crap on AC/DC and Stern on several forums I just hope for your sake RGR that jack finishes the code on WOZ.

Peter

#45 11 years ago

Good chance WoZ will be finished when released. And there will be some bummers in the ruleset. But it'll be too late. It'll be finished and they will have moved on. I guess RGR thinks this is better than being able to provide some feedback and having it incorporated into the game.

Quoted from RGR:

Well you made the choice of buying a Stern knowing they had a bad history of providing good customer service. In knowing that you only have yourself to blame. So be patient and deal with it.

First off, I bought a stern and do not agree that they have a history of bad customer service. So thats wrong. Second, I never said I was impatient, never was asking when the update will be out, and am not harping on it being out now. I was only arguing against your "hold it until its done" philosophy because that's dumb. It prevents users to give feedback and see that feedback added to the code.

#46 11 years ago

Pffft you think our feedback goes towards changing the game play for the current game???? Any examples of this??

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Pffft you think our feedback goes towards changing the game play for the current game???? Any examples of this??

Yes, a ton of our feedback went into the xmen 1.1 --> 1.2 update. There's too much to list. Go read the threads of the before and the suggestions then look at the changes and you'll see. This was actually one of the benefits of the LE being released before the pro. The code was being worked on actively enough that the suggestions were able to be actually applied. Emails to and from the designers (and even between John Borg and I) were not ignored. Suggestions were definitely considered and many applied in some form.

Oh my other example is for AC/DC. In personal emails between Lyman and myself, it became apparent that users were asking for cannon ball saver feature where if you hit the desired shot with the cannon, the ball saver will protect against an instant drain. Lyman specifically said that he disagreed with this feature and did not want it in the game but since so many users were requesting it, he added it in as an option and that it will be in the next update. Now, if that update comes out and that feature is not available, then I guess you can use this as evidence that I'm wrong. But since I doubt Lyman lied to me, I'll use that as another example of this working.

#48 11 years ago

You used a dumb analogy to try and make your point. WOZ this and WOZ that. WOZ might be complete when it ships, or it might not. My guess is that it will be, because it sounds like there will be hell to pay if it isn't. However, this being their first game, it's also possible that subsequent games won't be treated the same way. When JJ has been in the pinball business as long as Stern, then we can take a step back and talk about JJ and how they do business compared to Stern. Pinball is strong and there are signs the economy is turing around, how would JJ do if things were to crash again? Until then, no matter how complete WOZ is, or the game after that, or the game after that the two companies have nothing to do with each other.

Quoted from RGR:

Being nitty about irrelevant time frames shows that you agree.

Lyman disagrees with the ball save after the cannon. But my guess is that he also disagrees with 5-ball games, closed outlanes, extended ball saves, and all kinds of other rule modifications that are in the game. Since it's an option, even though after playing the game I personally don't agree with the cannon ball save anymore, I say the more options the better.

Quoted from markmon:

Now, if that update comes out and that feature is not available, then I guess you can use this as evidence that I'm wrong. But since I doubt Lyman lied to me, I'll use that as another example of this working.

#49 11 years ago

Its a new era of computer design/code writing etc and also metal, plastic and electronic parts can be manufactured like never before.
    It would be daunting to try to utilise all this and produce a worthy pin. You'd keep the necessary old school elements - flippers, targets etc but then things like the theme, your imagination, modern technology, budget etc all kick in so perhaps you do your best, get the game up to a standard good enough to release then see how it goes and what the knowlegeable players and owners think.
    I think thats a valid way to go considering code can be added and the game improved/enhanced/advanced.
    If a company wants to produce a 'finished' game straight off the bat then well and good but a lot of ideas/opinions/feedback will probably be wasted.

#50 11 years ago

So what happened?

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-new-code-today-what-are-the-odds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.