Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Spankey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Placing this question here because I am not sure if this is related to the latest software update. I am getting frequent phantom ball drains mid-ball after hitting targets. It seems like the right lightning bolt target and the drop targets will sometimes trigger the game to think the ball has drained. Has anyone encountered this post software update. If something else then move to tech help.

#2 11 years ago

Not a software problem. Sounds like a trough opto problem. Make sure they're tight. Both boards on my Magneto were so loose,they were flopping around. I got a new set from Stern,but ended up not having to use them because of this. Tightened them up,& no more thinking the ball has drained.

#3 11 years ago

Sounds like a problem with the ball trough optos, yeah. Haven't worked on ac/dc but it happens to every stern that uses them and some DE/segas too.

Empty the trough and make sure there isn't any debris in there. Make sure the connector to the opto boards is on the pins tight. Make sure the receiver and the transmitter are pointing at each other in switch test or empty ball test.

If you didn't find any problems there take the opto boards off and reflow solder to the pin pads. If that doesn't work, you may have to replace the opto reciever and transmitter or replace the boards.

#4 11 years ago

In my experience, and as others have stated, the opto boards in the trough are the culprits. Makes sure the pin connectors for both opto boards are firmly on. Shaker motors and heavy nudging tends to shake those connectors a hair off the pin which will cause this issue.

#5 11 years ago

I had a similar problem on my game. It turned out to be a broken ground wire on the connector just before the optos. The wire was hanging by a thread, once I found it and removed the connector, it snapped right off. Once the wire was fixed there were no more problems.

#6 11 years ago

The connectors on the optos may have been ever so slightly loose. Maybe the shaker or hitting target hard enough jostled them around enough to trigger the drain. S far so good tonight.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-mid-ball-phantom-drain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.