Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by smoke
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0584[1].JPG
IMG_0725.JPG
DSC00012.JPG
DSC00008.JPG
DSC00006.JPG
IMG_4140.JPG
18203c2e4dd4db8779fc733c08daa0d1.jpg
taxidermy.jpg
IMG_0549[1].JPG
Excellent.jpg
sp-shooter-lane-wear.jpg
7Tron-eject-done.jpg
04adb4dc252ef1b6f52ea6811b6be56f.jpg
DSC00003.JPG
IMG_0543[1].JPG

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

I have several Stern Pins most not NIB but Tron, Transformers and AC/DC are.

I was quite ticked off as I ordered some hard as nails and had not put it down yet. I had some protective vinyl down on the lane for a bit. I have yet to see a Stern game with a non wood shooter lane hold up, but this is ridiculous as it came up I'd say with less than 30 plays without protective covering.

I'm putting some Hard as Nails down to prevent further damage though I'm a bit shocked as I thought the LE's were going to have an extra clear coat.

Anyone have any opinions on if I'm just exaggerating this or if this is a real issue Stern should addres

IMG_0543[1].JPG

#2 6 years ago

Geez, hopefully it's not a common issue.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

if I'm just exaggerating

That would be thejesus, who wanted to file a class action suit over his shooter lane wear.

#4 6 years ago

I think it's going to be common. Mine's the same with under 200 plays on it.

#5 6 years ago

Unfortunately, the same thing just started to happen to my Premium.

I unboxed it only two weeks ago.

I've stopped playing the game till I address the issue.

For now, it's a single crack--and a raised bubble to its right.

I know it will all cover under a Cliffy shooter lane protector (when they're ready); but that's not the point.

This didn't happen to my TRON LE (while I waited for a Cliffy).

Didn't happen to my SM (PO didn't have a Cliffy installed).

Still hasn't happened to my FGY (no Cliffy is available).

There is definitely something wrong with the lack of clear coat they applied in this area on this title...and it sucks big time.

(Open and zoom my pic for the circled area with the arrow under the ballponit pen; that represents the left--and single crack--to the left of the bubble.)

Cliff has sent me shooter lane protectors for TRON & TSPP (his only Stern shooter lane protectors at present) to see if they'll fit on ACDC. Hopefully, marking changes will be easy and we can get that ball rolling. I'll get on the project as soon as they arrive.

However, I do think we need to speak up on this matter IMO.

DSC00003.JPG

#6 6 years ago

I told you guys to Mylar the shooter lane. This was a complaint with TF. It only cost 50 cents. pinball life sling shot Mylar works perfect.

You can still save it. 04adb4dc252ef1b6f52ea6811b6be56f.jpg

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

I told you guys to Mylar the shooter lane. This was a complaint with TF. It only cost 50 cents. pinball life sling shot Mylar works perfect.

I think the point is Av8, we shouldn't have to after such a short period of time (given how the other Stern's have held up by comparison).

Hank's game looks like its been on location for three years and has only 200 plays on it!

I've got 92 plays on my game since I installed 1.52 (on my second day of ownership).

On day 1 the game came late, and I and only put about 15 plays on it--so just over 100 total plays.

That ain't right IMO.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from NM:

I think the point is Av8, we shouldn't have to after such a short period of time (given how the other Stern's have held up by comparison).
I've got 92 plays on my game since I installed 1.52 (on my second day of ownership).
On day 1 the game came late, and I and only put about 15 plays on it--so just over 100 total plays.
That ain't right IMO.

There's no point complaining about what you should or shouldn't have to do. Just fix it.

AV8: thanks for that picture. I have rolls of Mylar. I'll cut a small piece like that and stock it on all my sterns even though none of them show wear yet.

#9 6 years ago

Here is the mylar thread. It not great but thats Stern. They are just going to say its normal wear and that is still plays fine. Its an ounce of prevention saves a pound of cure. Lets not be victims here and just mylar it on day one.

Mine still looks like the day I opened it and I play the hell out of it.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shooter-lane-mylar

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Here is the mylar thread. It not great but thats Stern. They are just going to say its normal wear and that is still plays fine. Its an ounce of prevention saves a pound of cure. Lets not be victims here and just mylar it on day one.

I suppose I'm fortunate in that if I lay the mylar down (before a Cliffy is ready), my bubble will lay down flat and basically it's end of story.

Hank isn't so fortunate with regards to mylar; perhaps with a Cliffy he will be.

#11 6 years ago

Problem is you will never ever be able to take the mylar up without pulling the paint. This area just wears poor.

I don't think it looks like its been on location for 3 years though I do think its more wear than it should be and seems most common on games with white painted shooter lanes. If there wood it wears but the paint doesn't chip.

Well a shooter lane protector would certainly cover the issue and make me happy

Here's hoping cliffy will make one.

The ultimate solution is to put some clear coa or hard as nails down when you get a game as it will protect it and it will look much better than vinyl or mylar.

#12 6 years ago

Damn that sucks man, sorry to hear.

It seems nowadays the best protection for a NIB is to snap up a $500 NOS playfield the day your machine arrives & send it off for a clearcoat. Sad but true.

I have 3 Sterns & plan on acquiring many more so I worry...

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

You can still save it.

This "before" picture is great, but can you post an "after" picture with the mylar in place so we can see how it looks?

John

#14 6 years ago

I saw a Rolling Stones LE with a shooter lane protector. Does Stern have these? They should be on all their games if so. Is Cliffy going to make some?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from ctozzi:

Geez, hopefully it's not a common issue.

I got the same crap!!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

There's no point complaining about what you should or shouldn't have to do.

Not so much complaining as simply reporting my experience Markmon--which happens to concur with the OP's experience.

Without such reporting of events, change won't happen--nor will preventative unboxing measures be taken.

Unfortunately, I missed Av8's recommendation and the TF shooter lane wear news.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

I saw a Rolling Stones LE with a shooter lane protector. Does Stern have these? They should be on all their games if so. Is Cliffy going to make some?

At this time, Cliffy only has Stern shooter lane protectors for TRON, TSPP, & SM if I'm not mistaken (two total; one works on the other); must have been an owner modification of or perfect fit of one of these.

Stern has none.

#19 6 years ago

You guys thing this stuff would work?
amazon.com link »

#20 6 years ago

Indeed i snagged mine day one while cleaning and it lifted the whole white inner edge. They need to either extend cleat into divot or stop placing art down there. Tommy is bad for this too.

#21 6 years ago

That's the problem I think the ball will cause the initial chip and then cleaning it will take it up the whole chip. AC/DC and TF are the worst with these issues. I'm busy all morning touching mine up. I will take a picture when done.

I made mine worse as at first it was split with a chip. When I rubbed my finger over it more came up. At $6500.00 for a LE Stern should certainly take the time to put extra clear and the metal protector on the black piece for the shooter lane.

The quality of the wood, paint etc.., Stern is using is garbage. I ordered X-men LE and unless the quality on that one is any better then I will no longer buy any NIB games from Stern. I'd rather wait and buy a used one with a beat up shooter lane and other defects for 30% less or more. I think AC/DC will not hold as much value based on the crap paint and wood.

The other poster nailed it when they said you need to buy a separate PF and have it clear coated. This is probably the best investment as all other machines are going to be beat up and will put the machine with NOS clear coated PF will be had at a handsome premium.

#22 6 years ago

Thats a generic rail protector and not the area of concern.

Yes I'm making eject protectors for AC/DC as soon as I get results back from Neil. The one I made for Tron also fits Spider-Man, Ironman and South Park. It likely fits many other sterns but I need folks to step up and test!

Clear plastic paint will not hold out very long against the balls impact. Mylar helps cushion the blow but it too will allow the wood to compress underneath it. You may avoid inks chipping but you'll still have a divot over time. Please understand you have a nearly 3oz steel ball under acceleration hitting wood with an ink and clear urethane coating. The surface area of the ball at its point of contact is about the size of a Sharpie marker tip. The steel wins over wood every time, sorry.

#23 6 years ago

A high power solenoid is shooting a steel ball at high speed into a piece of wood. Outlane protectors have existed forever, just like mylar in the pops and mylar in front of the slings on lots of games, this is a well known area of concern.

You appear to be a somewhat serious collector, did you really not realize this area was going to get chewed up? Lots of people, including myself laid mylar in the area. Do it, don't do it, that's fine but the rant is a bit confusing.

Depending on the game, it happens to all of them sooner or later. With AC/DC it was sooner, but I don't understand what the problem is.

EDIT: Yah, what Cliffy said.

Quoted from hank527:

The quality of the wood, paint etc.., Stern is using is garbage.

#24 6 years ago

I paint all my shooter lanes with Hard as Nails. Use a small crafts paint brush and paint it all the way from top to bottom of shooter groove and eject hole so far so good 2000 plays nearly on tron LE no wear, probably the same on my IM 2000 plays maybe more no wear, SM with painted shooter lane no wear or cracks in paint 500 games played. It's probably over kill but I do about 10 coats!

Oh Cliffy why did you have to go and tell me you make a shooter lane protector for Tron that fits IM and SM, might aswell buy 3 of them now which will nicely go with my SM, IM and Tron ramp protectors, yeah I surrender take my money Cliffy

#25 6 years ago

Is this a problem with all Sterns, or only certain titles? Should I be worried about by the LOTR LE I just acquired?

#26 6 years ago

Is this a problem with all Sterns, or only certain titles? Should I be worried about by the LOTR LE I just acquired?

No worries, mate

7Tron-eject-done.jpg

#27 6 years ago

Any images Cliffy of shooter lane protectors that protect the groove and shooter lane itself? Or is the above lockout hole protector Referred to as shooter lane protector by some? Sorry if that's a stupid question just want to double check before surrendering you more of my money
Thanks again Cliffy for your protective work.

#28 6 years ago

The protector I saw on TRS LE was a "V" shaped piece that fit right over the shooter groove. It looked factory. I'll ask the owner of the game where it came from.

#29 6 years ago

I dunno about some of the terminology being slung around here The game ejects the ball into the shooter lane. Therefore it is a shooter eject protector. If you install it before any wear begins you will not need something covering the V groove from edge to edge. The primary impact is right at the flat area just outside the eject chute. The second impact is at the side and the third impact is at the edges of the V groove where the ball rests.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

The protector I saw on TRS LE was a "V" shaped piece that fit right over the shooter groove. It looked factory. I'll ask the owner of the game where it came from.

That is a metal sensor to identify when the ceramic ball is in the shooter lane. Same on Avatar LE. Not a protector.

#31 6 years ago

My TSPP showed this wear after a few hundred plays and I fixed it with a retouch and hard as nails. It happened again and I did the same again and this time added the mylar. With AC/DC, I put mylar there right out of the box before the game was ever powered up. It happens on all pins.

#32 6 years ago

Aha! Thanks for the clarification treborlicec.

#33 6 years ago

What is Hard as Nails? I've never heard of it. Is it a clear coat or a nail care product? Link should be nice. Thanks!

John

Quoted from J85M:

I paint all my shooter lanes with Hard as Nails. Use a small crafts paint brush and paint it all the way from top to bottom of shooter groove and eject hole so far so good 2000 plays nearly on TRON LE no wear, probably the same on my IM 2000 plays maybe more no wear, SM with painted shooter lane no wear or cracks in paint 500 games played. It's probably over kill but I do about 10 coats!
Oh Cliffy why did you have to go and tell me you make a shooter lane protector for Tron that fits IM and SM, might aswell buy 3 of them now which will nicely go with my SM, IM and Tron ramp protectors, yeah I surrender take my money Cliffy

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

What is Hard as Nails? I've never heard of it. Is it a clear coat ou a nail care product? Link should be nice. Thanks!
John

Clear nail hardener at most stores near the nail polish.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Not sure how common the issue is, but I had the exact same problem with a HUO SM that I had. It was like that when I got it. Luckily it never got worse than it was. It was about a half inch long where the black paint flaked off.

#36 6 years ago

Okay we all know it wears great!. Why should I have to put mylar down that gets dirty and gritty. I had static cling sheets down. I took them up when I ordered the Hard as Nails. I had maybe 25 - 30 plays unprotected and it did that.

I look at my Bally,Williams, Data East games and there's little to no wear after 1000's of games. Even some of the older Sterns are okay and my Tron has little wear after 1000+ plays. I also put hard as nails down and will order a protector.

AC/DC and TFLE I look at and the wood is worn after little use. TFLE has less than 100 plays and has wear. Good news is its on the wood and does not have a painted lane.

So Cliffy I'll be PM'ng you with my games list and will help you any way as I need to get some protectors.

#37 6 years ago

Point is whatever wood Stern is currently using is garbage!!! Stern's pricing is going up and the quality is going down yet I continue to buy games. I just wish they would up the quality on the PF's just enough to make em last at least through 1000-2000 games as when games come out it takes a good 2 months before we get protectors

#38 6 years ago

Are they not using 7 ply clear maple plywood anymore? From what I remember, there aren't many suppliers of the plywood used to make pinball playfields because there can be no hollow layers internally.

With faster the ball activity of todays pinballs, there will be damage to wood. It is inevitable and all the clears in the world won't stop the compression caused by the hit. Any time there is an edge the ball can touch/hit, it will get beat up if enough force is applied into the edge. Maybe that's why Cliffy protectors are installed.

#39 6 years ago

If that is indeed the case then Stern should make the shooter lanes all wood like on Tron and TFLE as then there would not be the paint chipping problem the majority of us experience.

A clear coat would protect the paint quite a bit, though the wood would still dent. It would certainly be nice not to loose the paint as it seems painted shooter lanes chip a lot easier than the bare wood.

The paint must indeed pull wood with it where if its just wood it indents.

the easiest solution to this problem is to stop painting the shooter lanes!!

#40 6 years ago

Yep I cut a piece of fake mylar and lay it down in the shooter lane.
Once I have a good piece, after trial and error, I saving the backing as a template to reuse on other pins.

#41 6 years ago

Clear coat is still a paint. The problem becomes how well it can bond to the wood and stay bonded. If clear is applied over some art, the same still applies, the bond is still only as good as the art screen paint bond to the wood. I think you'll see more of this type of wear with faster games in time unless something that bonds better to wood (in the clears/paints) is used. Once the ball gets airborn anything is possible.

Some of the clears banned (cancer causing) in the USA but still used in other countries are much stronger at bonding to wood than presently used. It's amazing how well the older Zaccaria playfields still look today.

I'm not that familiar with the newest Stern games but I'll bet that the way the ball is being introduced to the plunger lane via the mechanisim probably has something to do with the wear being seen.

Bare wood won't last at all without some form of protection, paint or metal.

Quoted from hank527:

#42 6 years ago

As in Global Thermonuclial War, the best way to prevent wear is not to play the game. But what fun is that?

#43 6 years ago

Illinois has shit paint like Cali the voc rating is for the pits. We get the good stuff in Wisconsin.

#44 6 years ago

Blame Canada.

Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Illinois has shit paint like Cali the voc rating is for the pits. We get the good stuff in Wisconsin.

#45 6 years ago

I'm kind of thinking so what....don't play it....the shooter lane, really....I might want to wear that b**** out.....I could play my pins for the rest of my life and I'm quite sure the shooter lane will never be lacking of wood..........

If you can't take it then read the threads on magic eraser, etc.....

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

While this indeed may be part of an ultimate solution, it still doesn't explain why the clear is holding up on older Stern games with screening in this same area:

On my 2007 FGY (that I purchased HUO), there is ZERO damage to this day (it has screening in this area)--and I have no mylar nor Cliffy applied (no Cliffy is available; although I'm doing some test fits for Cliff here too). I'll be sure and apply some mylar now before playing it again in the meantime.

And like I mentioned earlier, my two other previously-owned Stern HUO games arrived pristine in this area till I laid down the Cliffys (SM & TRON LE); my TSPP was routed and arrived with damage in this area--with routed games, I can understand why the damage would be there.

(This was my first NIB Stern and I never kept up with the TF threads--which is why I didn't apply mylar on day 1; now I know otherwise.)

Seems something has changed/deteriorated in how this area is protected now vs. the titles I mentioned (at least with respect to ACDC & TF)...because again, after just 100 plays of HUO use on my ACDC Premium, it just doesn't seem right IMO that it sustained damage; or how the OP's game sustained enough damage in an HUO setting to pulverize the black line screening after just 200 plays.

Thanks to Av8 (I spotted a thread of his on another forum with the mylar pic and decided to check my game).

But IMO, it all comes back to Stern should be offering this warning--or laying down a 10 cent mylar at the factory--or putting ample clear in this area like they did on older titles.

#48 6 years ago

Ok so I'm reading this and I'm concerned this might happen to my Tron LE over time. What's the product you guys have mentioned here for Tron to cure the issue ?

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from ctozzi:

Ok so I'm reading this and I'm concerned this might happen to my TRON LE over time. What's the product you guys have mentioned here for Tron to cure the issue ?

Cliffy shooter lane protector.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from NM:

Cliffy shooter lane protector.

Thanks I'll search for it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Frederick, MD
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Barrie, ON
$ 11.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 94.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 50.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside