Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20121115_064932.jpg
#1 11 years ago

So last night I started playing and noticed the bottom insert arrow to the bell started changing color during whole lot of rosie, would go from pink to a blue color so I went into testing and checked the rgb of that insert and the blue and green work fine but tthe red kept flickering? Is this just a bad led board?

So the next thing that started happening that is unrelated is I would start a game and sometimes out of the blue the tnt drop targets would reset even though they were already set and it would kill my skills shot as the game thought a ball was in play on the playfield because of the resetting drop targets? Has anyone experienced this and if so what is the solution? I didn't see a way to adjust anything on the drop targets? So I'm guessing the board is faulty.

And the last problem is one that I've heard several people complain about, 7 of my blue gi leds are burnt out and this happened in a short period of time. Also 3 of the red gi leds are burned out. I tested each of the sockets with some spare leds I have and they are all working fine with no shorts in the lamp matrix, I thought maybe something had shorted because so many blues were out but I think it boils down to cheap leds, sorry cointaker I like your leds but a selling point is supposed to be reliability. Other lights that are burnt out are the 3 flashers under the pop bumper window and two of the flashers behind the lightning bolts.

This is too many problems on such a new machine, Ive only had it about 4 months. Maybe a little less.

Anyway I guess I'll email Trent to see if he will take care of these things.

If anyone has had similar problems let me know your solutions thanks.

#2 11 years ago

I also had to replace 10-20 LED's I wish they used bulbs, hey last longer than these.
Allen

#3 11 years ago

That sucks! LEDs definitely shouldn't burn out that fast. I wonder if Cointaker had a bad batch. FWIW, a lot of people replace the flashers below the pop bumpers with colored LED flashers. They look great!

#4 11 years ago

Yeah I actually did put some flasher leds in the pop bumper window but just figured I'd add that to the list of lights burned out because they did several times in about 5 games after each change.

#5 11 years ago

I had 2 boards fail in the first couple months. The main LED control board and the opto board for the AC/DC drops. Stern sent me replacements and they were easy to install.

I totally agree with your general sentiment about too many problems for a new machine. If it weren't so fast/fun, I would have moved it by now. Until now, I've been very pleased with the quality of my Stern purchases (LOTR/TSPP/SM/POTC/AP). Seems like the high prices are accompanied by low quality. Oh well.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Yeah I actually did put some flasher leds in the pop bumper window but just figured I'd add that to the list of lights burned out because they did several times in about 5 games after each change.

The brand new LED flashers kept burning out? That's very odd. I wonder if something is slightly out of spec with your game's power.

#7 11 years ago

I also had the TNT targets reset and Stern sent a new opto board out. There was an issue with my bell going off all the time after about 50 games,another opto board was needed.

#8 11 years ago

I had two bad insert led boards, they send me replacements, no trouble so far. But a few weeks ago from day to day in the end ALL!!! my blue GI leds gone bad and three red ones. Sry to say this if they are from cointaker but I think they were garbage. I changed them with ones I've got from a shop here (superfluxxer) and they look better in my opinion and no problems with these so far.

#9 11 years ago

Also changed nearly all my Blue GI LED's and some red's and now one of my TNT targets doesn't always register when it drops?

#10 11 years ago

Pretty sure Stern will take care of this all directly.

#11 11 years ago

My AC/DC had the cannon motor problem. Two months and 4 cannon motors later, the problem is fixed ( knock on wood).

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The brand new LED flashers kept burning out? That's very odd. I wonder if something is slightly out of spec with your game's power.

No sorry explained that kinda funny, the leds in the pop bumper window are still running strong the ones I changed out before that were standard bulbs several times.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Pretty sure Stern will take care of this all directly.

Stern may take care of these directly but they seem to push me in the direction of my distributor. Also everytime I've emailed stern they take weeks to get back to me and I don't wanna sit here for that long with a game with issues. Love the game but for the price I've paid for this machine its not really worth it. I also can't recommend anyone buy a nib stern, this is my first from them and it's left a bad impression. If they were faster to handle the problems I might change my tune.

#14 11 years ago

I had several of the 2 LED bulbs burn out, too. Must be that particular bulb because I never had a problem with any other CoinTaker products.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I had several of the 2 LED bulbs burn out, too. Must be that particular bulb because I never had a problem with any other CoinTaker products.

I wonder if cointaker are aware of this problem LED? we all seem to have the same issues although I have replaced mine with the same LED from an Australian distributor and so far there fine maybe it was a bad batch like the crap balls lol

#16 11 years ago

Maybe they are cranking out much more of the 2 led bulbs since they are the sole supplier for Stern LE's now and the quality is suffering. I know, I have replaced a dozen or so of those on my AC/DC.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

I wonder if Cointaker are aware of this problem LED?

When I see Chris and Melissa at Expo, I'll definitely mention it to them.

4 weeks later
#18 11 years ago

Well I fixed all the issues I had with the machine last night and everything seems to be working great now. I also moved the slam targets in hell off of the rubber posts as someone on the forum suggested and now they work great. I also bent the arm on the switch to the spinner up because I noticed the spinner wasn't getting much spin. If you look at the switch on your spinner the arm is probably resting on the the plastic just below it and causes the spinner to only spin a few rotations. Once bent up a little the thing spins like mad. I'll post a pic.

I also threw some wax down and boy was that a mistake, the ball goes about 800 mph now and my scores suck even worse than before lol.

// Error: Image 54008 not found // // Error: Image 54010 not found // IMG_20121115_064932.jpgIMG_20121115_064932.jpg

#19 11 years ago

Word on the street is that the code revision 1.60 and 1.61 are killing the LED's. I have two bad LED boards and 14 LEDs mostly red that are toast.

#20 11 years ago

I lost one of my RGB boards before the code updates. It turned a bluish color, and would not function in "red" mode. Pat sent me some spares and it's all good there. So far I've also lost one red double LED and a blue one, both before the code updates. I think they are just an inferior LED. Anyone know where they are from?

#21 11 years ago

CT supplied the bulbs and the boards. You have to give Stern some slack as long as they address the issue. It is there first RGB LED game.

#22 11 years ago

I wonder if switching to a single led instead of the doubles would make a difference?

#23 11 years ago

I had the TNT drop target issue. New opto board solved the problem. Stern was kind enough to send me a new board.

The bulbs....oh man....they look so awesome but yeah, buy a ton because they don't last for anything. Or just switch to some cointaker frosted. Those 2 led ones just don't have any life. I had a couple out, so I ordered 3 of each color. Then I went through those in about 1 week and ordered more the next time around.

#24 11 years ago

Bump since the picture I posted wasn't showing. Should be showing now

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 29.95
$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

16,500 (Firm)
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-le-problems-several and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.