(Topic ID: 44818)

AC/DC - How do I level this thing to avoid STDM from the Bell?

By RacerRik

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by grh450
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

600full-alex-morgan.jpg
IMAG0014.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0607.jpg
IMG_0606.jpg
IMG_2990.jpg
There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

exactly what mine does. But the ones i've played before this, wasn't as much. Your bell about 1/4" off the playfield?
also, anyone else having the cannon plastic hit the ball when it's moving back to position? Must be aimed downward and catches balls in multiball.

Mine has done that a few times.

#102 11 years ago

also with the legs. I have all of them all the way up and the pitch is perfect. Looks weird next to LOTR which the legs are about 72% of the way up but the pitch is the same on both. Guess it's how they mounted the playfield bracket.

#103 11 years ago
Quoted from sangel1969:

Am trying to confirm that I've got the pitch dialed in. I've used both the craftsman digital level as well as an iphone app, and both are saying I'm at about 6.6 degrees between the flippers and 6.8 midfield, but the Stern built in bubble is pressing against the top of the tube. I know those are notoriously off, but even in a NIB?

Yes, even on a NIB. We got an IM on location near me a while back that was a mess. It was running the home software, so you got 5 games for a token. The factory bubble was way off, like yours. Looking at the bubble, you would assume the game was wicked steep. It wasn't. It was right around 6.5. But someone assumed it was too steep, so they completely raised the back levelers and lowered the front levelers almost all the way out. The game was horribly floaty. The slowest playing IM ever. No fun at all. Yet the bubble still showed it was slightly steep.

You should be able to 'fix' yours. Adjust the game to about 6.5 degrees with the digital level, then tighten or loosen the two screws on the bubble to get it in the middle. May be a chip of wood or something tucked underneath one side making it off. I don't think they can be installed reversed.

#104 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

also with the legs. I have all of them all the way up and the pitch is perfect.

All the way up meaning the levers are all the way up? Doesn't sound like that's the case with the poster before you.

#105 11 years ago

when I picture all the way up, i'm thinking the leg threads are all the way up to the top.

#106 11 years ago

To be clear, I'm saying that the levelers are completely extended on mine in the back...meaning if I extended them much further I wouldn't think the machine would be stable enough to play because I'd be afraid they would break from the leverage. So I can't increase the slope of the machine any further without adding something else underneath the levelers.

#108 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

You should be able to 'fix' yours. Adjust the game to about 6.5 degrees with the digital level, then tighten or loosen the two screws on the bubble to get it in the middle.

Actually, I just installed the shooter lane protector which required me to relocate the bubble further up the wood. When I reseated the bubble, about 25% of the indicator was past the top black line, which, from other's comments, seems to be about perfect. Still wish I didn't have to extend the levelers as far as I did to get the correct pitch, but whatever I guess.

#109 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

see, he is talking about the same thing

Okay. Saying 'all the way up' can mean the levelers or legs. Now we're clear.

Quoted from sangel1969:

To be clear, I'm saying that the levelers are completely extended on mine in the back...meaning if I extended them much further I wouldn't think the machine would be stable enough to play because I'd be afraid they would break from the leverage. So I can't increase the slope of the machine any further without adding something else underneath the levelers.

You can get another 1/2 inch or so by removing the nuts on the front legs. If the front of the game isn't level after removing them, raise one leveler to get it level, then tighten a nut on the inside of that leg.

#110 11 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

Anyway, my guess would be the level would say something about calibrating when you turn it on...

You're getting warm. It shows a very important measurement that it uses to calibrate itself. It's a measurement that everyone on the planet is keenly aware of every single day, yet most tools could care less about it.

#111 11 years ago

Temperature? If I'm wrong i will just delete my response!

#112 11 years ago

Okay, I installed the post with a red Cliffy colored post this weekend. I own the Pro, but it's a definite improvement. Doesn't hinder the shot to the bell, and the return is more predictable to the right flipper. Not as much bounce as the previous rubber -- more subtle. To each their own, but I like it.

#113 11 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Okay, I installed the post with a red Cliffy colored post this weekend. I own the Pro, but it's a definite improvement. Doesn't hinder the shot to the bell, and the return is more predictable to the right flipper. Not as much bounce as the previous rubber -- more subtle. To each their own, but I like it.

Your Welcome...

#114 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

You're getting warm. It shows a very important measurement that it uses to calibrate itself. It's a measurement that everyone on the planet is keenly aware of every single day, yet most tools could care less about it.

Gravity measurement? I would expect the tool uses a 3 axis accelerometer chip to measure gravity and then indexes the measurement to the coordinates of the level. Which also makes me suspicious of the claim for 0.1 deg accuracy. 3 axis accelerometer chips can be that accurate and far better, but not at a cost that would allow them to be used in a $25 level.

More likely is that the unit has a display resolution of 0.1 degree and an accuracy that is much worse than that.

#115 11 years ago

It's weird, the machines I had played on location had a lot of SDTM drains. So I was prepared for it and waiting to make a ton of adjustments. So far I haven't had a problem with it. Keep waiting for it, but I'd say about 10% of bell shots go SDTM. Same goes for out of the pop bumpers.

I'll probably still put on that post and cliffy just to be safe, but I'm pretty happy with it. For the record, my pitch is at like 6.8 or so.

#116 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Your Welcome...

Hey, I already sent you money! What else do you want?!

#117 11 years ago

maybe thats where the expression "hells bells" came from?

#118 11 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Hey, I already sent you money! What else do you want?!

Keep the money, send the girl in your avatar instead!

#119 11 years ago

Keep the money, send the girl in your Avatar instead!

$10K by Christmas!

600full-alex-morgan.jpg600full-alex-morgan.jpg

#120 11 years ago

Are there persons that have problems with the outlanes.
75% of the balls are lost in the outlanes. the machine is standing the way it should.

may

#121 11 years ago

Yep. The only problems I'm having is with balls frequently going into the outlanes or the area between the flippers

#122 11 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

$10K by Christmas!

I wish I was closer

#124 11 years ago

So I did some testing on the Sears Digital Torpedo level. As I suspected, the accuracy is not as good as they claim. The resolution of the display is 0.1 degrees. The accuracy of the level is more like 1/2 of a degree. Not terrible but not that great either...

In fact, the bubble on the Sears level is more sensitive and accurate than the digital read out!

Th digital readout is probably OK to setup a pinball machine, but it is probably not any more accurate than the Stern Bubble level on the side rail...

So much for the promise of super electronic accuracy.

#125 11 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

The resolution of the display is 0.1 degrees. The accuracy of the level is more like 1/2 of a degree. Not terrible but not that great either...

What do you base the 1/2 degree of accuracy on? Were you not able to make 1/10 of a degree adjustment? I can. The electronics they use to calculate pitch and level are likely more accurate than 1/10 of a degree. In reality, not many situations require any more accuracy than that.

Quoted from RacerRik:

In fact, the bubble on the Sears level is more sensitive and accurate than the digital read out!

A bubble will always be more accurate then a digital level. The human eye however isn't as accurate. Try leveling a game using the bubble, then see how close you are digitally. With a witness watching, if possible.

Quoted from RacerRik:

Th digital readout is probably OK to setup a pinball machine, but it is probably not any more accurate than the Stern Bubble level on the side rail...

No. Some factory bubbles are several degrees off. I've seen it numerous times.

The other good thing about the digital level is how it can easily show how much pitch can vary on a single playfield. I have one playfield on a game less than 10 years old that varies by 4/10's of a degree from top to bottom. Did you try measuring pitch on various parts of the playfield?

#126 11 years ago

Well this is easy: what Phish said!

Of course a bubble will be more accurate. In fact the bubble itself can't be inaccurate. The only thing that can be inaccurate about a bubble is if it were placed in the holder wrong.

And like he said, those bubbles on the Stern's can vary greatly. Like I said before, I don't trust them at all. They don't tell you what your actual pitch is at. How many degrees is your pitch at if the stock Stern bubble is centered? There is no way of knowing without measuring it with something else.

#127 11 years ago

Good grief just fn play the game and stop doing scientific analysis on it!

#128 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I don't know about the rest of you but I have been playin the stuffing out of mine. I am starting to get a few things figured out but still have no idea others. My high score is only 212 million which sounds like it is not that great compared to others here. I claim it is because I have not figured out the rules yet. I think my 40 combos score is decent and if I had played the rules better, it would have given me a pretty high score.

One thing I think is going to drastically bump my scores is that I have been shooting the stand up target with the cannon every time it comes up. I now see that I need to avoid that to build up the song jackpot.... Gonna start shooting the bell until I have a bigger jackpot score to shoot at.

I said I would check out the digital level and report back, so I did. My original method of leveling turns out to be more precise. But the game is playing quite well now and the STDM drains still happen but probably only about once out of 10 bell shots. And i nudge the game whent he ball comes out of the pops which has almost completely eliminated STDM drains from there.

#129 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Machine - For Sale
Williamsburg, VA
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-how-do-i-level-this-thing-to-avoid-stdm-from-the-bell/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.