(Topic ID: 44818)

AC/DC - How do I level this thing to avoid STDM from the Bell?

By RacerRik

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by grh450
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

600full-alex-morgan.jpg
IMAG0014.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0607.jpg
IMG_0606.jpg
IMG_2990.jpg
There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 11 years ago

I am loving this game but the SDTM stuff is killing me! I have the game set exactly level left to right and have tried a few different pitch settings, but no matter how the pitch is set, I continue to get center drains from perfect bell shots.

So I guess I need to change the side to side level away from plumb. Any suggestions for tilting to left or right and by how much? I plan to experiment, but if some of you have figured it out already, it would save me some aggravation.

#2 11 years ago

Do you have the level on the glass ? Or on the playfield ?

Swap your level 180 degrees and see if it reads level in both directions. ( I have seen ones that were off ).

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

If it's level, then it shouldn't do this. It's about as simple as it gets.

#4 11 years ago

If all leveling attemps fail and/or you want a quick fix, I've heard of some people using a wider rubber post sleeve IIRC.

Perhaps something like this 7/8" from PBL? (Not sure but hey, it's a 55 cent investment .)

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=pbl_23-6552-1

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

If it's level, then it shouldn't do this. It's about as simple as it gets.

Wrong.

It *will* do that. But obviously not all the time. Maybe 15%?

#6 11 years ago

It is as level left to right as it can possibly get. I used a torpedo level on the playfield aligning it with the bottom edge of the lower playfield window (level on the wood) and at the top edge of the playfield against the metal rail. I swapped the level end for end to make sure it was totally level. I was moving the leg levers in one sixth turn increments until it was totally even top and bottom.

I also checked the level at the bottom of the cabinet front and rear. It was level there also so the playfield is sitting level in the cabinet. Perfectly level is not working for my game. So now it is time to make it intentionally unlevel to reduce the STDM balls. I am thinking maybe just a slight lean to left would be best. That way the ball would be more likely to tap the post with the mini rubber ring and then kick over to the right flipper.

Pitch is now set with the bubble just edging through the top line ( more steep than centered bubble). It did not drain any less with pitch centered or tocuhing lower line, but it is faster plus easier to catch balls with it steeper.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

I have the game set exactly level left to right and have tried a few different pitch settings, but no matter how the pitch is set, I continue to get center drains from perfect bell shots.

What tools are you using to determine pitch and level? Stern's factory bubbles can be off.

(edit: oops. Advice below is encouraged even more now)

I've recently become a big fan of the Sears $25 level. It does pitch and level to 1 tenth of a degree. Plenty close enough for pinball.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-torpedo-level/p-00948295000P

#8 11 years ago

Is this a Pro or Prem/LE? I have a Prem and it rarely drains from the bell...the ball usually gets hit back by the swinging bell and just kinda naturally comes back toward the right....if it comes back down the bell lane to the left it will bounce off the post rubber and veer right.

#9 11 years ago

I haven't played one where it doesn't do this 20% of the time at least. I'm talking about the Pro. Haven't had too much experience with the Premium.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Wrong.

If you get a good clean shot on the bell, the ball goes straight in hits the bell and the zooms back straight down center drain. I would estimate a good 80% of the time. It is so likely to drain STDM that shooting the bell is something you have to avoid unless you are in multiball with balls to spare or the ball save light is still on. That takes a lot of the fun out of the bell shot.

I do get a fair amount of balls coming out of the pops that go STDM also, but usually that is just after you launch the ball so the ball save is still lit.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Is this a Pro or Prem/LE? I have a Prem and it rarely drains from the bell...the ball usually gets hit back by the swinging bell and just kinda naturally comes back toward the right....if it comes back down the bell lane to the left it will bounce off the post rubber and veer right.

Yea. I actually see a lot of right outlane drains from the bell as well . Acdc is a frustrating game

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Wrong.

If you say so. Mine is perfectly level and it's happened maybe 5% of the time. If that. I'm talking about a perfect shot back and forth. I have had the ball go from the back scoop and SDTM if it didn't come in contact with the bell though.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This a Premium with swinging bell.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

If you get a good clean shot on the bell, the ball goes straight in hits the bell and the zooms back straight down center drain. I would estimate a good 80% of the time. It is so likely to drain STDM that shooting the bell is something you have to avoid unless you are in multiball with balls to spare or the ball save light is still on. That takes a lot of the fun out of the bell shot.
I do get a fair amount of balls coming out of the pops that go STDM also, but usually that is just after you launch the ball so the ball save is still lit.

80% SDTM drains from the bell would be infuriating.

I'd try doing one of the post mods mentioned by NM above.

#15 11 years ago

I looked in the game audits and center drain number is 2 times the left or right outlanes.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

If you say so. Mine is perfectly level and it's happened maybe 5% of the time. If that. I'm talking about a perfect shot back and forth. I have had the ball go from the back scoop and SDTM if it didn't come in contact with the bell though.

More power to you!

I think it would be awesome if I only got 5% SDTM from the bell.

The bell is a notorious high risk shot on AC/DC, so I'm really surprised to hear you say that you are only getting 5% drains from the bell. I'd expect to see some high scores from you!

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

More power to you!
The bell is a notorious high risk shot on AC/DC, so I'm really surprised to hear you say that you are only getting 5% drains from the bell. I'd expect to see some high scores from you!

I've seen plenty of center drains from the bell, just not from clean hits. It's definitely a risky shot, doesn't change that. I've probably way more drains from the cannon on the AC/DC targets. They are both risky shots. Hell, anything that isn't a ramp or an orbit is risky.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Im at less then 5% SDTM drains from the when the ball exits from the pops, Maybe like 2%. On bell shots from the right flipper its maybe 5-10% but its a risk reward shot so you need to only take shots at it when its safe. Left flipper is very safe but a much tighter shot. Cannon hardly get any SDTM drains. A post mod is highly recommended. The kind of post that will hold a cliffy colored sleeve is best. I have a red one on my game & its much better then the post Stern provided.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

80% SDTM drains from the bell would be infuriating.
I'd try doing one of the post mods mentioned by NM above.

Yes it is very frustrating! I don't want to mod the game with a non-standard post if simply leveling it a bit different fixes the problem. But if I can't reduce the center drains with level, I may resort to that.

I suspect that the people who are not getting bell drains actually have their game slightly off level - I just wish I knew which way they were off level so I don't have to experiment as much!

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

Yes it is very frustrating! I don't want to mod the game witha non-standard post if simply leveling ti a bit different fixes the problem. But if I can't reduce the center drains with level, I may resort to that.
I suspect that the people who are not getting bell drains actually have their game slightly off level - I just wish I knew which way they were off level so I don't have to experiment as much!

Nope sorry, mine is definitely level. I've done it with both an iPhone (which I don't trust) and an actual digital Craftsman level. Maybe drains are closer to 10%, but I'm used to nudging on the return just as a habit, so it's hard to say, but I've watched plenty of other people play my game as well that don't nudge.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

I've seen plenty of center drains from the bell, just not from clean hits. It's definitely a risky shot, doesn't change that. I've probably way more drains from the cannon on the AC/DC targets. They are both risky shots. Hell, anything that isn't a ramp or an orbit is risky.

To me a high risk shot is one that you take and if you mess up it is likely to drain. This one drains with what would be considered an absolute perfect shot. That makes it frustrating....

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Nope sorry, mine is definitely level. I've done it with both an iPhone (which I don't trust) and an actual digital Craftsman level. Maybe drains are closer to 10%, but I'm used to nudging on the return just as a habit, so it's hard to say, but I've watched plenty of other people play my game as well that don't nudge.

So where did you check level on your game? Maybe I need a different reference point?

#23 11 years ago

Hard to see but you can see the cliffy post there and it looks & plays much better.

IMG_2990.jpgIMG_2990.jpg

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

Yes it is very frustrating! I don't want to mod the game with a non-standard post if simply leveling it a bit different fixes the problem.

Leveling it properly will only cut it down some. A post is the best way to go & hardly a major mod & can be reversed in about 5 mins.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Hard to see but you can see the cliffy post there and it looks & plays much better.

I see it and it looks like it belongs there! What kind of metal post did you use and where did you get it?

#26 11 years ago

I'm getting the same, RacerRik, and I also used a digital torpedo level. A really solid shot to the bell from the right flipper frequently ends in disaster. I have taken to a hard side nudge and conceding the subsequent tilt warning(s). If you figure something out please let me know.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

So where did you check level on your game? Maybe I need a different reference point?

Top, center, bottom.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

To me a high risk shot is one that you take and if you mess up it is likely to drain. This one drains with what would be considered an absolute perfect shot. That makes it frustrating....

Yup. High risk shots should be tough shots that missing would cause a drain. Shots that are successful which still drain frequently is bad design.

If anyone could take a picture of the posts they've changed, it would be greatly appreciated. Or posting the pitch you're playing at. I want to know what I should be doing when this arrives.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I'm getting the same, RacerRik, and I also used a digital torpedo level. A really solid shot to the bell from the right flipper frequently ends in disaster. I have taken to a hard side nudge and conceding the subsequent tilt warning(s). If you figure something out please let me know.

I have nudged and saved it some times, but there are not enough tilt warnings to make it to 3X!!!

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Top, center, bottom.

Could you be more specific please? Ie, What did you align the level with on the playfield at the top, center and bottom?

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

I see it and it looks like it belongs there! What kind of metal post did you use and where did you get it?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=323

Something like this should work with a cliffy post. You'll need to order a tiny screw for the top too.

#32 11 years ago

high risk shots can also be ones that drain if you hit them perfectly otherwise they wouldn't be high risk...

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=323
Something like this should work with a cliffy post. You'll need to order a tiny screw for the top too.

Is that the one you used? I ask because there are different thread diameters on posts and that one is 10-32 which is the large size. I do not want to make the hole any bigger so that I can go back to the stock post with no trace of modifying the playfield.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from royce6135:

high risk shots can also be ones that drain if you hit them perfectly otherwise they wouldn't be high risk...

Well, if that is the definition of high risk, then the designer obviously did not want you to shoot at the shot. And I think Steve did intend for people to repeatedly shoot at this shot. Mine is so bad, that only today (after about 250 games since last Thursday) was I able to get 3X lit. If I go for 3X, the ball goes STDM so often it is impossible to get there.

It would be nice if there was a very short ball save like on T2 skull shot. You make the shot and it does not penalize you. You only get nicked if you don't make the shot clean.

#35 11 years ago

these are the things that infuriated me about this game Rik! I always put cliffys post sleeves on my games, they bounce a lot more. I have played probably six different acdc's and some of them drain constantly and some of them never do. Its weird. Chad's constantly drained, whereras sealclubbers does not. The ac/dc in lawrence at the replay lounge does not. weird.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

these are the things that infuriated me about this game Rik! I always put cliffys post sleeves on my games, they bounce a lot more.

I have some Cliffy post sleeves - just gotta get a post that they will work on.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

Is that the one you used? I ask because there are different thread diameters on posts and that one is 10-32 which is the large size. I do not want to make the hole any bigger so that I can go back to the stock post with no trace of modifying the playfield.

Yes that will fit perfectly....just checked my past pinball life orders.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

What tools are you using to determine pitch and level? Stern's factory bubbles can be off.
(edit: oops. Advice below is encouraged even more now)
I've recently become a big fan of the Sears $25 level. It does pitch and level to 1 tenth of a degree. Plenty close enough for pinball.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-torpedo-level/p-00948295000P

I bought this over the weekend. What an amazing device! I just like to know things are in the right order for sure.

#39 11 years ago

Any time you shoot a non-returnable center shot you run the risk of a sdtm. It was like this on afm, t2, MM, MB, tron, sm, xmen, and many more. I watched a guy who was very good play a ACDC this weekend and saw him shoot the bell, but he only did it during multiball or on accident. 2x playfield aint worth jack on single ball but its worth a lot on multiball.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Yes that will fit perfectly....just checked my past pinball life orders.

Thanks! I will put one on next next PBL order.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

Thanks! I will put one on next next PBL order.

Your welcome.....no get ready to enjoy the best game ever..... !!!!

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Your welcome.....no get ready to enjoy the best game ever..... !!!!

Please don't take me wrong with this thread. I absolutely love the game! I am just trying to make it the best it can be. And the center bell drains do detract from the fun a bit.

#43 11 years ago

I nudge AC/DC more than any other pin.
Learn to nudge! The bell only takes a slight nudge to stop SDTM.

Rubbing is racing.....
Nudging is pinball!

#44 11 years ago

I already nudge it to death! The legs are probably gonna fall of one of these days from all the nudging, but that bell shot does not seem to respond much to nudging up at the bell. It comes zooming down STDM and trying to nudge the game there is almost hopeless because it is smack in the center of the flippers. When it does that, sometimes I can nudge it hard enough to save it, but not without a tilt warning.

So are you saying you can nudge up at the bell to prevent STDM? If so, I will try that some more, but so far it does not seem to have any effect. If it misses the post on the left, it is a home run, outa the game!

#45 11 years ago

What pitch do you guys have it set at? Thought I read 7 degrees is the best.

#46 11 years ago

One I played, easy...zero issues..

#47 11 years ago

I've experienced what you're going through as well. I have a torpedo level, and had it on the PF to set the game. A local champ winner levels all his games like they do at tournaments; bubble level on the glass, at the lockdown bar, back of the PF, and top of the back glass.
Just for fun, try it and let me know how your pin plays.
I personally think the torpedo on the PF would be more accurate but I use the bubble level now instead.
ACDC was my first pin, but I believe it's even more crucial than most to have dialed in perfectly.
There have been times when I'm ready to blow a gasket. A small tweak here or there, and the pin feels starts to play absolutely perfectly.

#48 11 years ago

I have mine set at 6.8deg pitch.
Missed shots to the bell will sdtm drain about 15% of the time. But they're missed shots!
Successful shots are about 5% without nudging.
From the pops, 2%
And I'm with smassa, once you get it ironed out, prepare to experience the 2nd best pin of all time

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

And I'm with smassa, once you get it ironed out, prepare to experience the 2nd best pin of all time

That is not what he said! So of course, you have an opinion about what the best pin is I guess?

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Hardly a credible source since you had such a huge man crush on TF LE.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

16,500 (Firm)
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-how-do-i-level-this-thing-to-avoid-stdm-from-the-bell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.