47%
  • ACDC - just don't get the love for this 59 votes
    20%

(290 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ACDC_Pro_P_Left.JPG
image.jpg
There are 241 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I have never seen an ac/dc premium in person is it a quality looking playfield?

Very solid for a stern IMO

#52 11 years ago

I think ACDC has got better over time ( with the updates ) and it's the kind of pin that can kick your ass time and time again ... but you still go back for more . It makes it so much more satisfying when you pull off a great game .

The layout and rules appear to be simple but as we have recently discovered they are quite deep and challenging .

Is it the best Stern ever ?? It comes close but having it in a lineup next to a Tron LE and a LOTR it is very hard to put it at #1 . Definitely a top 5 .

#53 11 years ago

This thread is making me really want mine...

#54 11 years ago

BEST PINBALL EVER!!!!

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

> Lower playfield
Lower playfield scores very little (contrary to above). Only good for safely building your song jackpot.
> Color changing GI
> Color changing inserts that correspond to modes and rules
Nice, but neither affect gameplay. Game was plenty of fun before the inserts started changing colors.
> Swinging Bell
At the beginning of a multiball (don't recall which one), if you hit the bell with the cannon or an early flipper shot, the magnet keeps the bell moving. During this time, you can't score a bell hit. After the magnet stops pulsing, the bell continues to swing, preventing you from starting or prolonging 2 or 3X playfield. At least 10 seconds. If you've stacked all 3 multiballs, this also prevents you from scoring the 3X jackpot.
> Dancing Band (makes the multiball more fun IMO)
I really really like it, but again, nothing to do with gameplay.
> TNT drop targets w/ standup behind it
That bank I like. Wouldn't change a thing. The other bank of drops has it's share of issues though. When one or more is down, balls will get stuck and you have to wait for a ball search to free it. Also, sometimes direct hits to the middle target doesn't drop the target (and score the song jackpot). Standups are way more predictable than drops. Can't do bank shots off of drops.
> I like all the other stuff too (Train, Hell tunnel, TNT plunger, etc) but it's just a significantly better than the Pro in every respect.
Nope. This is the first time they nailed both versions. By putting the LE's and premiums on a pedestal above the pros, you're selling the pro short. I'd rather play an AC/DC pro than any other LE or pro. Given a choice between a pro and a premium, I'd play the premium, but only for the bling.

There is some good strategy about when you wanna go into the mini PF on H2H. I usually will only try to select that some if 3x is running and a quickly timed shot to the ramp will pay off with some huge scores (around 2 mil per hit). Once scored a 300mil + Song Jackpot cause of this.

Pro is a good game but the Premium/LE is the top dog as far as Stern pinball IMO.

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Maybe you are wrong ? I say it is very close !

Can't be wrong. It's my top 10 and my opinion.

I'm not a Bally Williams fanboy but I think there are several B/W and a couple Sterns that are better than AC/DC. I love AC/DC but its new and hasn't stood the test of time in pinball pantheon.

#57 11 years ago

With only having this pin for a week I am still in the honeymoon stage but it is my favorite pin of all time, and that includes a HEP restored MM I once had in my collection!

#58 11 years ago

My premium is 1 of 10 pins in the house. It gets played the most with GnR 2nd and AFM 3rd.

I'm wondering how long they plan on producing them and what the production numbers are to date?

#59 11 years ago

It's an amazing game , flows like butter, super fast. Only thing that bothers me about it is how much it cost me can have 3 nice games for its price but I'm thinking its one of the if not the best pins ever not just stern. It's very different though very little call outs all about getting the big scores/jackpots.

#60 11 years ago

I'm one of those who just don't get the love for this pin. Sure its fun and fast, music is great and has solid code. But few times I played it (12 or so times) had a good time but did not feel like wow I had to have this pin.

I still love IM, SM and LOTR a hell of a lot more than AC/DC. Now, will I own one in the future? I think so because I like the band's songs and it will look great next to GnR. Gameplay is flowing and rules sound cool and deep. But while a solid game Stern and it's owners should be proud of it's blasphemy to say best game ever. No No No (Gomez voice from AF).

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

> Lower playfield
Lower playfield scores very little (contrary to above). Only good for safely building your song jackpot.

...and it's a LOWER PLAYFIELD lol...Sorry, giant An(g)us decal vs. a fully functioning gameplay feature...yeah, I'll take the lower playfield. There may be more creative use of it in future updates that will give the Premium/LE even more goodness that won't exist on the Pro.

Quoted from phishrace:

> Color changing GI
> Color changing inserts that correspond to modes and rules
Nice, but neither affect gameplay. Game was plenty of fun before the inserts started changing colors.

Yes, they do affect gameplay. For instance, in Thunderstruck all the jackpot inserts turn blue - and there's one lighter blue roaming insert indicating a 2x shot. I'm sure there will be more use of color as a gameplay enhancer in future updates as well. Plus it just looks GORGEOUS and it's one of those things that truly does make the game stand out amongst others.

Quoted from phishrace:

At the beginning of a multiball (don't recall which one), if you hit the bell with the cannon or an early flipper shot, the magnet keeps the bell moving. During this time, you can't score a bell hit.

I've never seen this happen. The magnet ONLY pulses the bell when you hit the VIP button during Hells Bells. Only other bell movement is from you hitting it. Physics keeps the bell moving, not the magnet. In any case...moving bell rules, sorry.

Quoted from phishrace:

> Dancing Band (makes the multiball more fun IMO)
I really really like it, but again, nothing to do with gameplay.

Doesn't matter. It adds a fun vibe to the game. More fun = better.

Quoted from phishrace:

> TNT drop targets w/ standup behind it
That bank I like. Wouldn't change a thing. The other bank of drops has it's share of issues though. When one or more is down, balls will get stuck and you have to wait for a ball search to free it.

I have never seen this happen in 500+ games.

Quoted from phishrace:

Also, sometimes direct hits to the middle target doesn't drop the target (and score the song jackpot).

I've seen this happen on standups as well. Same dif.

Quoted from phishrace:

Standups are way more predictable than drops. Can't do bank shots off of drops.

What is it you need to bank off the targets to hit? Do you just like banking off targets? *shrug*

Quoted from phishrace:

Nope. This is the first time they nailed both versions.

Hmmm...if you say so. I say this is the first time each version is SO significantly different that if you really really dig the game, I can't see how you can't NOT go Premium.

Quoted from phishrace:

By putting the LE's and premiums on a pedestal above the pros, you're selling the pro short.

The Pro exists if you want a cheaper game. Stern is selling the Pro short LOL. I don't have to put the Premium on a pedestal. It's called PREMIUM for a reason. It's better. LOL

Quoted from phishrace:

I'd rather play an AC/DC pro than any other LE or pro.

Fantastic. I'd rather play AC/DC Premium and any other game

Quoted from phishrace:

Given a choice between a pro and a premium, I'd play the premium, but only for the bling.

Whatever. It's a better game. Period.

#62 11 years ago

Buy BOTH! I'm keep a Pro and the LE!! Hands down one of the best machine ever made. Just wait! It will be in the top 5 of all time!!

#63 11 years ago

^The premium is obviously the better game. Any fool can see that. In fact, I bet if you set a monkey in front of a pro and a premium he would know which was better...and not "just for bling". LOL, "just for bling"...ridiculous.

#64 11 years ago

Top five for sure. Top Stern ? Well, I love LOTR as much. These 2 pins are actually so different I can't say I prefer one over the other. Depends on the mood!

Honeymoon over?
Quite the contrary. ACDC (would it be Pro / Premium / LE) grows on you with time. And rule improvements really helped.

So fortunate to have one at the local arcade. It's more fun to compete!

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from Exejet:

Buy BOTH! I'm keep a Pro and the LE!! Hands down one of the best machine ever made. Just wait! It will be in the top 5 of all time!!

I totally agree with you. Hulk is playing better after adjusting figure. Hulk LE is no ACDC but no other pin can compare I said for months its the best pin in years! Either version is better than no ACDC pin.

#66 11 years ago

I've had mine for nearly 7 months and still love it. The software is just awesome. Love the custom dots. I'd like to see replacement ramps in translucent blue. I think those would compliment the blue accents in the art and plastics. My kids are interested in the upcoming Metallica. I said I may have to sell ACDC to fund it. They said, never mind.

#67 11 years ago

your choices suck for your poll and very swayed. You have it setup like it's the greatest thing ever, or it sucks donkey balls. There's no in between. I like Ac/DC a lot and would get one some day. Is it the greatest sterns. No. Is it a top 5. No. It's good. it's top 20 good. But it doesn't suck either. Should have offered more in between choices. Seems too geared that your fishing for the answers you want to hear.

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

your choices suck for your poll and very swayed. You have it setup like it's the greatest thing ever, or it sucks donkey balls. There's no in between. I like Ac/DC a lot and would get one some day. Is it the greatest sterns. No. Is it a top 5. No. It's good. it's top 20 good. But it doesn't suck either. Should have offered more in between choices. Seems too geared that your fishing for the answers you want to hear.

Well it would appear your opinion is in the minority. I havent seen this kind of reaction to a Stern pin in a long time. And according to the polls it would most certainly appear to be a top 5 Stern pin. And yes it is just my opinion but it seems more seem to agree with that. But yes we know its just another crappy Fan style game.

#69 11 years ago

Top 5 stern pin...perhaps...top 5 pin of all time. No.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

It's an amazing game , flows like butter, super fast. Only thing that bothers me about it is how much it cost me can have 3 nice games for its price

Depends how you look at it. It is one of the best pins ever made, but it costs a hell of a lot less than some of the top rated pins here at Pinside like MM, MB, and AFM. The premium is a pretty damn good bargain these days.

#71 11 years ago

but still not a bargin in the grand scheme of things. The premium should be priced at around $4200, like sterns pins used to be priced (adding a little inflation for the past 4 years). Especially this one, as there is still less on the field than the games they were releasing in 2002-2008. Cheaper to make than the past, yet they feel justified to charge double the price, because they can. I mean more power to them, if they keep making money hand over fist. but there is no way, I'll agree is a bargain.

#72 11 years ago

Top 5 Stern at LEAST. Top Stern IMO, but that's always debatable.

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Whatever. It's a better game. Period.

I never said it wasn't a better game. All I'm saying is don't diss the pro. It's damb near as good.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Especially this one, as there is still less on the field than the games they were releasing in 2002-2008.

The premium and LE's have the biggest BOM of any Stern ever made. By far.

Would you prefer they put ALL the parts on top of the playfield next time so you can see them all? Boards and all?

#74 11 years ago

really. Compare it to TSPP once. how much bang you really getting for the buck?

#75 11 years ago

The only thing I don't like about the premium is that both ramps feed the cannon. Sometimes you don't want to hit the cannon shot but do want to hit the left ramp for letters or passes for jam mb

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

lol....TSPP the best cure for insomnia ever made......IMO.

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from Capper96:

The only thing I don't like about the premium is that both ramps feed the cannon. Sometimes you don't want to hit the cannon shot but do want to hit the left ramp for letters or passes for jam mb

There is some interesting strategy as to avoiding the ramps but i usually find going after Album or Tour MB is sometimes a good way to keep working the SJ up. Would be nice if Lyman worked it into the code where the only way to collect the SJ was by shooting the right ramp.

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

There is some interesting strategy as to avoiding the ramps but i usually find going after Album or Tour MB is sometimes a good way to keep working the SJ up. Would be nice if Lyman worked it into the code where the only way to collect the SJ was by shooting the right ramp.

Ya but then there would be no reason for the crossover. My personal opinion its bad game design, just a neat feature that doesn't make sense. All the other features of the premium are awesome, I just hate the ez mode diverter

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from Capper96:

Sometimes you don't want to hit the cannon shot but do want to hit the left ramp for letters or passes for jam mb

The left ramp doesn't always feed the cannon. It depends on what song you're playing.

Quoted from Capper96:

My personal opinion its bad game design, just a neat feature that doesn't make sense.

I think you need to play the game more. Not a bad design at all. You'll see, if you keep playing.

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from Capper96:

Ya but then there would be no reason for the crossover. My personal opinion its bad game design, just a neat feature that doesn't make sense. All the other features of the premium are awesome, I just hate the ez mode diverter

It could feed the cannon for other cannon shots like Target bonus or Collect bonus or other song modes. Just keep the right ramp for the Song Jackpot collect.

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If only you were making this point in relation to gameplay/rules and not the amount of toys and crap bolted to the playfield...then we'd have a legit discussion going on here.

#82 11 years ago

In case anyone was wondering:
1. LoTR
2. FGY
3. ACDC (premium/LE)
4. Xmen (soon to take #3 if code is right)
5. TF (if dialed in right - otherwise insert tron)

Yes, this is the absolute truth; no need for a poll or post an argument. My sources tell me this is the honest top 5 sterns of all time

Merry Xmas.

#83 11 years ago

AC/DC and I are only just on the second date! But I've never felt this way before about a pin. I always worry the honeymoon will be over, but then I hear its sweet husky voice, calling to me...

"Draiiiiiinooooooo!"

/swoon

#84 11 years ago

Great game, I love it! Seems to get a lot of love from guests also! May help that I have a large powered subwoofer hooked up to it and the game just booms. I'd say top 5 Stern game.

One of the things that keeps it from being even better is the center drains I get with the ball coming from the bell/pops area. And I've tried adjusting the angle, the drains are going to happen.

Code is EPIC on this game also. This game is pure Lyman genius combined with Ritchie's obsession with making a flowing game = WINNER.

But all in all, it would leave my collection before my IM and Tron LE, only because the other two are just so damn good also.

#85 11 years ago

For me, best stern ever but still hungry for code update where bell and strobes work. Come on updated code.....

#86 11 years ago

I cheated on the center drains Nd put a thicker rubber on the post before its leaves the bell area. A little nudge and comes off at an angle

#87 11 years ago

Fun game. Top 5 Stern for sure.

#88 11 years ago

I put this as a top 5 Stern only because it is so new. I think it is up there with LOTR and SM and might blow them away with any update like SM had.

I don't like how the cannon blocks the right outlane to make nudging hard to figure out but my only complaint.

Kenny

#89 11 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

I don't like how the cannon blocks the right outlane to make nudging hard to figure out

Go look at your audits and tell me how many more drains are on the left vs the right . I bet it is almost two to one ! There is nothing blocking the left !

Jim

#90 11 years ago

Why bother? That would only suggest the game is designed to drain left more often. Doesn't change the fact that you can't see the right lanes. Having said that, not seeing the right lanes doesn't bother me much, I just react aggressively any time the ball gets anywhere near the right. It's frustating for guests though.

#91 11 years ago

I've only had mine 3 weeks now and reluctant to cast a "honeymoon vote." So right now I'll say Top 5 Stern. But I reserve the right to change that to "Best Pin Ever" in a year or so if my current feeling don't change. And I suspect they're not going to.

#92 11 years ago

One of the best pins out there but one aspect that has eluded me is the encore mode . I have gotten 9 songs changed but that is it. I would like to see a little better chance of changing more songs during a 3 ball game play. But hey it is such a fun pin to play.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#93 11 years ago

One of the best Sterns ever. But I would have to have the lower play field. It is fun, but more importantly it gets rid of that awful face! No contest in my opinion.

#94 11 years ago
Quoted from triadwatch:

One of the best pins out there but one aspect that has eluded me is the encore mode . I have gotten 9 songs changed but that is it. I would like to see a little better chance of changing more songs during a 3 ball game play. But hey it is such a fun pin to play.

You can change the song requests in the settings...that would make it more likely to get to Encore.

#95 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

In case anyone was wondering:
1. LoTR
2. FGY
3. ACDC (premium/LE)
4. Xmen (soon to take #3 if code is right)
5. TF (if dialed in right - otherwise insert tron)
Yes, this is the absolute truth; no need for a poll or post an argument. My sources tell me this is the honest top 5 sterns of all time
Merry Xmas.

You are HILARIOUS LOL...TRUTH!? BWAHAHAH...Oh, I shall argue ....Stern games that should be on any top list ahead of TF: SPIDEY, TSPP, Tron, Avatar, Elvis, Stones, Ripleys, POTC, Ironman, Batman, WOF, CSI, Sopranos, T3 ....um...almost EVERY GAME STERN HAS EVER MADE LOL

#96 11 years ago

For me, it's the best game ever. My favourite WAS MM, closely followed by LOTR but ACDC has overtaken them both. The game is pure FUN, I used to think Steve Ritchie was a good designer, now I realise just how great he is (coupled with Lyman here obviously). To have turned out so many good pins over the decades he has, is nothing short of phenomenal.

#97 11 years ago

Its a great pin. Show me another pin which has the funfactor an ACDC has. And after all, why do we play pinball? To have fun

For sure in top 5 overall for a long time, for the moment no 1 of all pins in my book.

#98 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You are HILARIOUS LOL...TRUTH!? BWAHAHAH...Oh, I shall argue ....Stern games that should be on any top list ahead of TF: SPIDEY, TSPP, Tron, Avatar, Elvis, Stones, Ripleys, POTC, Ironman, Batman, WOF, CSI, Sopranos, T3 ....um...almost EVERY GAME STERN HAS EVER MADE LOL

You forgot to read my "...if dialed in right" comment. You obviously didn't have your TF dialed in right

#99 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You forgot to read my "...if dialed in right" comment. You obviously didn't have your TF dialed in right

It was dialed in like a motherf*cker. Dialing in a mediocre game doesn't make it a top 5.

#100 11 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Can't be wrong. It's my top 10 and my opinion.

If you are not in agreement with him when it comes to AC/DC then you are wrong

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

16,500 (Firm)
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 29.95
$ 12.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

There are 241 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-honeymoon-over-thoughts-now/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.