View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
acdc2sdtmfix.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Love this game- still kicking my butt!

What I didn't expect was that this is now my 2 girls favorite pin as well! They are learning to hit the loops and ramps and generally having a blast.

The outlanes, the left one specifically, is killing the fun though...

They are having about 10 friends here next weekend and I wanted to find a way to soften-up the outlanes a bit.... But something easily reversible.

I don't want to get into a philosophical debate about changing the grand scheme of the pin by making it too easy.... Just looking for some technical suggestions.

My first thought was swapping out a double star for the left upper outlane post - but the diameter is too big- not enough room against the side rail to squeeze it in.

Any other creative ideas for squeezing down that outlane a bit?

Thanks in advance!

#2 10 years ago

If you have any spare assortments of the smaller rubber rings, try to put some extra ones on the posts of a size slightly larger than the standard post rubber. I have made the posts basically a little larger by doing this and it works pretty good. Still allows balls to pass, just not quite as rampant as without the extra rings. Switching back is easy later as you can just take the small rings off the post.

#3 10 years ago

No good advice here as I do not own the game. Play better or put socks in the outlanes =/ jk
Couple games I played it kicked me in the A** as well.

#4 10 years ago

I used star posts & ground down 1 side a little. Best mod ever,& it doesn't change the game play!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#5 10 years ago

^^

Exactly what I did. Red star posts and 3/8" black rubbers. You'll need to file the right one down to get a fit.

Best thing I ever did. I swear to God I thought the outlanes had a magnet -- the ball would literally rocket between the posts. My scores still blow, but I'm much happier now.

#6 10 years ago

It’s funny you say that about your two girls, mine have now just discovered this machine (they don’t even flinch at anything new that comes in) and the one especially is on it all the time. It’s an eye opener for me. She is dancing away while she plays to all the songs... PRICELESS.

It has to be made to drain. The best advice is to slow down this game which more or less urges you to keep a fast pace. Almost all shots can be reached from both sides - no other game allows you to hit both ramps and both orbits (right is hard) from a stopped position on either flipper. This means the control for drains is with you, and the game does a great job of making you instantly pay for missed shots. You have the option of hitting controlled ramps and orbits, and lighting the dangerous target modes when the jukebox is lit, and a MB is ready.

For a game that's rules define risk and reward, the punishment is a must. If it wasn't like this, you lose a lot of the risk factor. I know it's frustrating, I have been there and have got all philosophical about this to justify the tough play.

Other machines have different types of objectives in mode play, but this machine's rules are solely built on a very tight and dangerous risk and reward play. If the ball is in play too long all the time, the song jackpots and other jackpots will grow too big all the time, and then you lose what rules are trying to accomplish.

Just accept that it is a very fast, and hellish drainer (no pun intended), and that IS the beauty of this machine. I have people that are drawn to it all the time, and this is what I have to explain to them when they inevitably complain about how fast their balls drain.

As much as it frustrates you, and anyone else, I bet they keep coming back harder and harder don’t they? There is a reason for that!

Oh yeah, and nudge!

#7 10 years ago

For a kids party you might just close the outlanes by spanning the gap with a small rubber ring. Maybe set it to 2-ball if ball times get long.

#8 10 years ago

thanks everyone....

Are regular stars that much narrower than double-stars- i thought they had the same diameter- I guess I need to order a few to play with.

btw- the right lane doesn't seem to be nearly as abusive as the left, but then again, you cant SEE IT so maybe its just not as noticeable

#9 10 years ago

The TNT targets aim the ball to the left outlane. It's definitely a more common drain point for me as well.

#10 10 years ago

Wowzers!

While I was messing with the outlanes, I finally figured Id try a recommended SDTM fix a few had recommended (tapered rubber on UPF exit land).

What a difference... played about 10 games and my SDTM out of the bumpers went from about 15-20% to ZERO.

Im thinking this might fit in the outlanes for my experiment too- need to get some more of them!

acdc2sdtmfix.jpgacdc2sdtmfix.jpg

#11 10 years ago

Star posts at the adjustable post and a red Cliffy in front of the bell.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Star posts at the adjustable post and a red Cliffy in front of the bell.

Thanks for the pics...

How much did you have to shave off the star?
And which adjustable position to you out it in to get it to fit?

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

I used star posts & ground down 1 side a little. Best mod ever,& it doesn't change the game play!!

I've been considering the same thing for my left TSPP outlane

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Wowzers!
While I was messing with the outlanes, I finally figured Id try a recommended SDTM fix a few had recommended (tapered rubber on UPF exit land).
What a difference... played about 10 games and my SDTM out of the bumpers went from about 15-20% to ZERO.

STDM Update:

After a LOT more playing, I finally got a SDTM with the new rubber installed. So, not zero %, but damn close.... I'd say with the pitch dialed in and this rubber, it's like 1-2% vs the original 10-20%.

At least to a mediocre player like me- that's a BIG increase in enjoyment!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Thanks for the pics...
How much did you have to shave off the star?
And which adjustable position to you out it in to get it to fit?

About 1/8 inch on the right side. I have the outlanes closed until I get better, then I'll open them back up.

4 months later
#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

excuse the newb question, but I'd like to try this mod on my machine - can you tell me the part number and/or the exact sizing of the post and rubber?
Thanks!

#17 10 years ago

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=315

It is a 5/16" rubber ring or you can also use a 3/16" for a little fatter rubber. You will also need a screw and nut to hold it in. I believe the original post is a #10 thread, but #10 will not fit through the star post which is sized for #8. I haven't done this mod to my ACDC, so maybe someone else can chime in on the hardware needed.

#18 10 years ago

thanks PT - can anyone advise re the appropriate screw and nut?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from dmj1977:

excuse the newb question, but I'd like to try this mod on my machine - can you tell me the part number and/or the exact sizing of the post and rubber?
Thanks!

I took mine from a populated Blackout playfield. Works like a champ. I can send you a set if needed.

#20 10 years ago

wow - thanks Breadfan- a very kind offer. I'm in Australia though, so might be a bit more pain than you were expecting Do you know the specs/size?

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from dmj1977:

wow - thanks Breadfan- a very kind offer. I'm in Australia though, so might be a bit more pain than you were expecting Do you know the specs/size?

I don't. You just need a screw the same length as the stock one,just a little smaller in diameter. No big deal.

#22 10 years ago

I felt the same way about mine and addressed it this way.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-now-its-a-fair-fight

enjoy the game much, much more since the change.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

I don't. You just need a screw the same length as the stock one,just a little smaller in diameter. No big deal.

It is a #8 screw. Figure 2" just to be safe and a #8 nylock nut.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from balloukevin:

I felt the same way about mine and addressed it this way.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-now-its-a-fair-fight
enjoy the game much, much more since the change.

This seems like the most accessible solution for me here - balloukevin - how did you attach the posts near the outlanes (is it double sided tape behind them? I'd hate to damage the finish on the machine)...

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from dmj1977:

This seems like the most accessible solution for me here - balloukevin - how did you attach the posts near the outlanes (is it double sided tape behind them? I'd hate to damage the finish on the machine)...

Just add the star posts. If you put something like that on the playfield & its not screwed down,its ganna end up coming loose & go into the trough. Plus,your changing game play by adding stuff like that. If you do screw it down,I'm coming over & choking you out!!

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

I'm coming over & choking you out!!

haha - this pinball is serious business...

1 week later
#27 10 years ago
Quoted from dmj1977:

Yeah, it's just double sided tape. Easily reversible if desired.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Williamsburg, VA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

16,500 (Firm)
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 29.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-help-me-cheat-those-outlanes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.