8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_lyn56hTrFM1r65iaeo1_500.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballslave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

After having Luci in the flat for a few weeks I'm still struggling to figure out some basic game-play 'strategy'... I'm probably very dumb, but can someone please help me out on this...

Basically, I know you choose a song, then go for the shot for that song and when you make this shot it opens up the 'note shots' which you pick off... picking these off increases the jackpot value. If you make 8 other shots other than the main shot for that song you get to change the song... if you play all songs you get 'encore' wizard mode... (never been anywhere near this, just read about it).

There are also the 3 multiballs which are initiated by three basic shots: Ramps, loops and targets...

Any songs with Hell in the title allow the sub-playfield to come into play...

Hit the bell 3 times to start 2x scoring, and another 3 times (assuming the 2x doesn't time out) to start 3x.

That's about all I know at the moment...

What's puzzling me is the fabled risk-reward strategy connected with the jackpot... How do you 'work' this? How do you collect the jackpot? By making a lit cannon? By making a lit cannon and then hitting the lit target? In multiball? I heard that after collecting a jackpot it re-sets, so that's the risk-reward part... don't collect it so it gets higher...

Yesterday I was playing a game and I noticed the jackpot was at about 43mil... time to collect I thought... hit a lit cannon, not collected, hit the target from the cannon, not collected... started multiball, not collected... hit appropriate shots in multiball, not collected... Or maybe I did collect it, but it didn't re-set, so I guess I didn't...

Also, if you do collect the jackpot, and it therefore re-sets... does this mean you can no longer build that jackpot back up during that ball?

So, some specific questions:

1) How do you collect the jackpot?
2) After collecting the jackpot, does it really re-set to some base value (or zero)?
3) Can you re-build the jackpot after it re-sets following a collection while on the same ball?
4) If you can re-build the jackpot after collecting it, does is build back up at the same rate it built up before collecting it? (if the answer to this is yes, then I'm puzzled how the risk-reward part works because there would be no benefit in delaying collecting it).

Thanks for any help!!

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

You collect the jackpot by loading the cannon when it is lit for the Song Jackpot, and then shooting the lit target from the cannon. The game starts with the cannon lit for the Song Jackpot, and then it relights after every 4 sets of FIRE lane completions.

This is what I was missing... I have been clearly inadvertently hitting the opening song jackpot way too early, and thus taking it out of gameplay 'till I'd spelt fire 4x... so, if, while getting the note shots for a song, you load the cannon (very early in the ball) the strategy would be to avoid the lit target and build the song jackpot more... correct...? Or just avoid the right ramp when collecting note shots and change the song instead of re-lighting the notes...

Quoted from ryanwanger:

We also haven't talked about the Song Bonus, which is a way to collect the Song Jackpot without dropping it back to zero. This is complicated, and I don't really understand it well enough to try to be thorough, but in Album and Tour multiball, once you hit enough jackpots to equal the chronological position of the song you're playing within their discography/tour schedule, you are awarded the Song Jackpot, but it continues to build.

Er... I see... I think! So, just to be clear, it means that another strategy in the game is to choose a song which is at the beginning of their discography/tours in order to make collecting 'song bonus' easier... so once the song bonus is collected in multiball, can it be collected again during the same multiball?... And what about Jam multiball... no song bonus on that one? (I guess not bacaus there's no specific discography or tour schedule to like it to...

Quoted from ernoe:

Here is my Rulesheet for the AC/DC. Read this

Cool, I'll have a good read at this!! I did see another very long and involved gameplay 'report' somewhere else that I was wading through, but it seemed to go into too much detail and miss out on the basic information...

Thanks guys, this has been a great help!!

Now to play some more games with this new knowledge!!

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

while getting the note shots for a song, you load the cannon (very early in the ball) the strategy would be to avoid the lit target and build the song jackpot more... correct...?

After trying this out I see it's not correct... loading the lit cannon but avoiding the lit target means that you un-light the cannon and so remove the chance to get the song jackpot... the strategy, therefore, seems to be to simply avoid the left or right ramps... or, to get the first 'free' song jackpot out of the way and focus on re-lighting it with 4xfire... thus opening up the ramps (it seems just wrong to avoid both ramps 'till song JP is increased).

Quoted from Rob_G:

This is a good tutorial video as well:

Thanks for posting!

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

1. Always pick "Hells Bells" as your song. If you complete the song just pick it (Hells Bells) again when prompted to choose.

I assume from this strategy that the 'Wizard mode' isn't worth aiming for...?

Here's a question for you seasoned ACDC players... if you have a decent jackpot built up and you decide to reap the benefits by first collecting the song bonus during multiball, you have to start the multiball by loading the cannon... but, if the cannon is lit for song jackpot, then by starting the multiball by loading the cannon, won't that re-set it so that the nice fat song bonus becomes a measly little song bonus?

I guess to avoid this it's necessary to make sure the cannon isn't lit for song jackpot when you start the multiball...

Am I thinking along the right lines?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I don't own the game and play for points so for me it's "Hells Bells" 99% of the time.

Please explain the benefits of chosing Hells Bells... it will help me figure this labyrinth of a game out

4 months later
#59 8 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

You gotta play a shit ton to notice these little things.

Or keep your eye on the credit dot

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

16,500 (Firm)
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballslave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-gameplay-for-dummies?tu=pinballslave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.