You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-1.jpeg
beating-a-dead-horse-o.gif
dead-horse.gif
images.jpeg
There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

After a long climb up to Number 8, AC/DC has now been passed by Scared Stiff, ToM, and IJ. This really surprised me as I view AC/DC as better than the three previously mentioned games by a good bit and thought AC/DC would continue to climb.

What's happened to AC/DC the past few weeks? Some people are already saying MET is better even though no one has played it . . . how could a phantom game be better than the flow monster that we all know of as AC/DC?

Will AC/DC ever return to the Pinside Top 10?

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

After a long climb up to Number 8, AC/DC has now been passed by Scared Stiff, ToM, and IJ. This really surprised me as I view AC/DC as better than the three previously mentioned games by a good bit and thought AC/DC would continue to climb.
What's happened to AC/DC the past few weeks? Some people are already saying MET is better even though no one has played it . . . how could a phantom game be better than the flow monster that we all know of as AC/DC?

I'm sure it will return to the top 10 by the end of the year.

#3 10 years ago

Don't worry.....ACDC is a great game I don't need a top 100 to tell me so.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

Totally agree! The top 100 is so manipulated anyway, it can't really be used as a good reference in my opinion.

In the past I have bought some machines based on top 10 / top 100 listings, it can be a good guideline but no guarantee that the machine does it for you. (As for me, Medieval Madness is just a 'nice' machine, but no top 10 material)

#5 10 years ago

Ditto

#6 10 years ago

*Highjack alert* and WOZ burst into the rankings at 17, who has one in their house? Pics?

#7 10 years ago

I don't even look at rankings. I play what I like. ACDC rocks and doesn't matter if its ranked #250 or #1

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I don't even look at rankings. I play what I like. ACDC rocks and doesn't matter if its ranked #250 or #1

^^^This^^^

#9 10 years ago

#1 by Christmas !!

#10 10 years ago

I could not agree more!

#11 10 years ago

I noticed this......very weird, I also noticed that WOZ is #17 on the list! I personally think that is higher than it should be!

#13 10 years ago

It took #3 in the Pinball March Madness. Let's just say it's actually #3.

#14 10 years ago

I think it mostly has to do with the art and theme on ACDC. These are major parts of the Pinside rating system. ACDC's art package isn't that great and the theme is polarizing whereas the art and theme on games like SS and TOM is leagues better. ACDC definitely has the better gameplay, but then so do games like STTNG and Shadow which also suffer from being voted down due to artwork and theme. If the only ratings criteria were ruleset, gameplay, and fun, all three of these would be higher.

#15 10 years ago

Oh crap. Guess I have to sell mine now.

#16 10 years ago

Man, I don't even know if I'd have AC/DC in my top 50.

Glad people are loving it, though.

#17 10 years ago

Needs more votes.Compare SM with AC/DC or any game in the top ten.....needs more votes/ratings

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think it mostly has to do with the art and theme on ACDC. These are major parts of the Pinside rating system. ACDC's art package isn't that great and the theme is polarizing whereas the art and theme on games like SS and TOM is leagues better. ACDC definitely has the better gameplay, but then so do games like STTNG and Shadow which also suffer from being voted down due to artwork and theme. If the only ratings criteria were ruleset, gameplay, and fun, all three of these would be higher.

Agree.I think acdc is a great player and a terrible theme and my rating reflects both

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Very true.

But remember, you can adjust your ratings to account for the items you find important. If the art package doesn't mean anything to you, but the ruleset does, then you can "weight" those scores differently.

Use those sliders however you see fit. You can certainly make it so that ruleset, gameplay, and fun heavily impact your grade.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Very true.
But remember, you can adjust your ratings to account for the items you find important. If the art package doesn't mean anything to you, but the ruleset does, then you can "weight" those scores differently.
Use those sliders however you see fit. You can certainly make it so that ruleset, gameplay, and fun heavily impact your grade.

I agree and use the custom "Weighting" features that the site provides. Mine emphasize ruleset, gameplay, and fun which is reflected in my ratings. I think the majority of Pinsiders keep the stock weightings though which may account for why games like TOM and SS remain in the top 10 over player's games like ACDC or STTNG.

#21 10 years ago

You guys obsess with the rating feature on this site WAY too much

Back when the reported ratings were based on earnings.. Then they meant something.

This? This is a flavor of the month competition... Decided by a lot of people who don't even like the food being offered!

#22 10 years ago

WOZ at #17 is a joke!

as Merriam-Webster would say - that theme is: active, airy, animated, bouncing, brisk, energetic, frisky, lively, jaunty, jazzy, kinetic, mettlesome, peppy, perky, pert, pizzazzy (or pizazzy), racy, snappy, spanking, sparky, spirited, sprightly, springy, vital, vivacious, zippy...

All those words, yes, better than Tron, BSD, BBB ?!? Not even close...

This one was for you Tiger - I know how you love to be politically correct

#23 10 years ago

If WOZ is at #17,& only 1 person has one in there home,that tells you the ratings are CRAP!!

#24 10 years ago

To those saying that where it ranks does not matter and that its a great game regardless.......that's true but.....

A LOT of new people seem to be jumping into this hobby. Many (if not most) have no way to play all these games before deciding to make a purchase. You may think that's dumb, but it is what it is. These machines are not at every corner and once you decide to jump in you're not going to wait a year or more to play everything before making a purchase.

They go by these rankings. They may even spend WAY more than necessary to get a game that's "supposed to be better".

That is why this bogus Top 100 drives me a little nuts. Oh and it's most certainly bogus. Anyone with half a brain could tell you that just buy checking into some of those scores.

Machines getting scores of 1.0 - 4.0 in the top 25 is totally bogus. You may not personally care for the machine but there is NO WAY it's truly a 2.0 machine even to you. You are purposely trying to knock it down a notch when you do that.........and you know who you are.

So then you get people voting perfect 10's to try and combat the 1.0's........which is also bogus.

Overall all though the extremely low scores do more damage than the perfect 10's.

#25 10 years ago

Alert the Rating Police immediatly!!!!

EDIT: You can't really be amazed that people have diff'rent opinions than you can you?

#26 10 years ago

Just do away with the list & everyone will be happy!!

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This? This is a flavor of the month competition... Decided by a lot of people who don't even like the food being offered!

Alot of 20 year old games in the top 100.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

They go by these rankings.<\blockquote>

That's the same argument used by the price police and its bogus. If any buyer is going to fall for such non-credible research as solid buying advice... They need far more help than what you are offering them here. Second... Pin side is minuscule compared to other resources that either
1- have far more entropy
Or
2- are based on actual data and not just cliquey popularity

This feature on the site is nothing but a popularity contest fed by an extremely narrow portion of the population.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Alot of 20 year old games in the top 100.

I didn't say the flavors were new...

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm sure it will return to the top 10 by the end of the year.

Na.... why would it go UP over time? If anything, I suspect it will drop another spot or 2 or 3.

i think its just following the natural progression of games: very high initial ratings (by home owners, etc), followed be gradual settling into its rightful spot after more people get a chance to play and rate it.

We'll see the same thing with metallica, Star Trek, WOZ, etc, etc. Wait a year or so later and see where they REALLY stack-up.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Na.... why would it go UP over time? If anything, I suspect it will drop another spot or 2 or 3.

Maybe cause the code still isnt complete? Still other things to come including a mini wizard mode among things & rumored live music.

#32 10 years ago

All I know is that I didn't have much interest in the game despite the hype until I played it. Once I spent some real time on it out at RMPS, I came home and immediately sold two of my games to order a NIB AC/DC Premium. I still dislike the theme a lot, but the gameplay is something special. I don't care where it ends up on Pinside's top 100 or IPDB's top 300, but for me, it's invading my top ten list.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Second... Pin side is minuscule compared to other resources that either
1- have far more entropy
Or
2- are based on actual data and not just cliquey popularity

Show me one.

The IPDB has far fewer votes overall than Pinside does in their rankings.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

It seems like hype really brings out the hate votes, so more threads like this will only encourage troll voting. JMO.

#35 10 years ago

Acdc is pretty overrated in my opinion. Great rules, unoriginal layout, too many cheapo shots that drain on made shot. And don't tell me you should avoid those shots. They're flashing for a reason. The designer intended you to make those shots (lit shot from canon for example). I like the game. Don't love it. Glad others are seeing it the same.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Show me one.
The IPDB has far fewer votes overall than Pinside does in their rankings.

I had a good reply typed in and the network ate it.. So this will be short and sweet

Play meter was based on earnings not impressions..
Ipdb does not have the volume of votes but isn't as polarized as pinside is in the active types here

If you really want to help future Buyers.. Encourage a system where people report condition and price PAID - where the reality is. Not peanut gallery stalking of seller threads and cliquey rating systems.

Value is in what people are willing to pay - not the opinion of what they'll pay

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Maybe cause the code still isnt complete? Still other things to come including a mini wizard mode among things & rumored live music.

I understand that, but I also think the trajectory for new games is down, not back up.

You might be right, some groundbreaking gamechange might improve scores, but I still think it settles a bit lower- especially with games like Metallica and WOz and ST that will benefit from new game hype and be fighting for top20 spots as well.

Btw, it seems like the single biggest thing holding down ACDCs score is artwork.... I don't see any code changes impacting that perception.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#39 10 years ago

No way .Who runs these pin polls ?

#40 10 years ago

You just have to take the Top 100 with a grain of salt. + or - 10 spots probably doesn't mean much, especially outside of the top 20, but it's still useful as a guide to pins people generally feel are better than others.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I understand that, but I also think the trajectory for new games is down, not back up.
You might be right, some groundbreaking gamechange might improve scores, but I still think it settles a bit lower- especially with games like Metallica and WOz and ST that will benefit from new game hype and be fighting for top20 spots as well.
Btw, it seems like the single biggest thing holding down ACDCs score is artwork.... I don't see any code changes impacting that perception.

I disagree on the artwork comment. Metallica Pro has better artwork then ACDC Pro in my opinion but I also believe that the artwork on ACDC Premium holds its own against Metallica.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I had a good reply typed in and the network ate it.. So this will be short and sweet
Play meter was based on earnings not impressions..
Ipdb does not have the volume of votes but isn't as polarized as pinside is in the active types here
If you really want to help future Buyers.. Encourage a system where people report condition and price PAID - where the reality is. Not peanut gallery stalking of seller threads and cliquey rating systems.
Value is in what people are willing to pay - not the opinion of what they'll pay

I do not see any statistics on pinball machines from Play Meter on the internet.

Quoted from CopMustache:

Tif you're using it to define your interest and enjoyment in pinball, then you're a complete idiot that should go eat a bullet.

You should stop holding back and tell us how you really feel.

#43 10 years ago

Seriously ij wms acdc is far better
Acdc is a far better flowing game much faster and based on a great band
Ij4 is better than ij wms
Acdc is far better than ij4

#44 10 years ago

ACDC is the best thing Stern has done since LOTR and TSPP in my opinion. But pinside LOVES new sterns, and tron was there, I believe xmen was too, and soon metallica will be.

As for TRUE ratings, **Robin if you're listening**, add an option for people to select only present or past owners of a machine, and you will have a much more accurate rating in that.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

especially with games like Metallica and WOz and ST that will benefit from new game hype and be fighting for top20 spots as well.

How did Xmen or Avengers work out with that "new game hype"? Metallica looks to have great potential but WoZ is IMO a snoozefest with one flowing shot. We have no idea what Star Trek will bring.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

add an option for people to select only present or past owners of a machine, and you will have a much more accurate rating in that.

What's that going to prove?

Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Acdc is a far better flowing game much faster and based on a great band

Yes faster means better of course.

#47 10 years ago

AC/DC is, so far, the best pin I have played. There are a lot of pins I have not played, even some of the newer ones. But I have a stable of A listers and I think AC/DC is the best. The music, the color changing inserts, the full light show, the total sound package, the graphics package, the way it pumps up the room...it represents what makes pinball fun, to me. Really gets my blood pumping

Of course I hope MoPLE is beter. Then, I hope ST will be better. And so on.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

What's that going to prove?

Not all great games are fast but personally I don't really like a slow paced game

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well in the comparison between IJ (WMS) and AC/DC, AC/DC is easily the better flowing game. Not saying one is better than the other overall (I like AC/DC more personally), but simply in regards to flow IJ doesn't quite keep up.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Not all great games are fast but personally I don't really like a slow paced game

Like TAF, Diner, JD, ES?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.95
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 29.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-drops-out-of-top-10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.