5 (resized).png
4 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Description of capabilities and download link. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #600 How to find the names of the lamp matrix locations. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #858 Video on how to replace a song. Posted by Underspin (10 years ago)

Post #1432 Macro function explained. Posted by oga83 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timlah79.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3265 4 years ago

I'm using 6.61 and I cannot search for any partial text that was added as a bookmark to a sound request nor if I filter by sound scripts. Entering text in the box, hitting Enter does nothing. Entering text in the box, hitting the Find Next Arrow does nothing. Note the only search text that works is if I put in the request # i.e. 582. Even searching for 0x55 for example doesn't take me to the sound. What am I doing wrong?

#3270 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

A)If you enter the first letters of a bookmark that appears in the list, Windows will autocomplete the text.
If nothing happens when you hit enter, it means that there is no corresponding bookmark in the list.
B) Can you see some bookmarks when you click on the down arrow ?
C) If not, you should first download them (if someone has uploaded them for your game or course) by cliking on the 'Sync' button, or create them : for a specific sound script, enter the text in the combobox and click on 'Set Name'.
D) If nothing happens when you enter 0x55 followed by enter, and if a 0x55 sound script appears in the listbox below, then something is corrupted on your system (either Pinball Browser or the Windows .net framework)

oga83
A) When I enter something that ends up auto-completing, I let it stay selected automatically. I then hit enter or the next arrow, nothing happens
B) Yes, I can even see the bookmark first in the list. I click it, nothing.
C) How do you download all the text in the results window? The only way I've found is to open the .dat file in a text editor and copy from there. However, the file doesn't include the Request # and doesn't include anything that hasn't been custom bookmarked
D) Nothing happens whatsoever when entering a request #. My system is not corrupted. How do I check if Pinball Browser/.NET Framework is the problem?

The burning question though, when there isn't something corrupted: Why can't I just search for a string and have it jump to line by line containing that string? Is that supposed to work?

#3273 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

A-B-D) When you enter 0x55 (or an autocompleted bookmark) into the combobox and hit enter, the corresponding sound script should be selected. If it's not the case, something is wrong. I suggest that you download Pinball Browser again on a different PC.
C) There is no way to export the result list.

Thanks oga83 I'm now able to cripple my way through search using the 0x55 method. It seems to be mostly reliable. The problem with that is that one would have to be able to export those script numbers for an easier copy/paste into the search bar. Why doesn't the search just look for a partial string? It seems one has to start the string with the first char of the bookmark they "think" they used, then type it out fully and correctly until the app recognizes it and autofills. For making customizations along with others, I need to be able to export those entire strings and track changes elsewhere (i.e. what I'm doing in a shared excel sheet). Into a CSV would be ideal with the original and imported filenames. The fact that the .dat file, while I can open it and parse it with regex to get what I need, doesn't show all requests makes tracking and collaboration difficult.

3 months later
#3378 4 years ago

Was the new version released to fix the inability to load the Sounds tab in JP2 0.97 and above? I just tried loading the latest 1.0 firmware in PBrowser 6.65 and it just spins upon clicking the Sounds tab. Didn't see a new link here but I could be blind!

2 weeks later
#3436 4 years ago

Hey oga83 thanks SO much for the update! Everything Sound wise seems to work. I just wasn't expecting this warning upon opening a fresh JP LE 1.00 firmware SPK. Should I ignore it? Sorry if you already answered this earlier. I saw your note about:
"Spk files
Spk upgrade files are still supported but, as SD-card images are now available, this feature will be deprecated soon. These files have limited functionalities because they only include what has been modified for a new firmware version."

I just don't know what to worry or not worry about moving forward. Thanks!

2020-03-17_15-43-16 (resized).png2020-03-17_15-43-16 (resized).png

2 weeks later
#3630 4 years ago

When doing a macro import of WAV/script files I am getting the error, 'No data found in this WAV!'
I haven't been able to find this reported already in the thread. Any ideas? What doesn't make sense is that the EXACT same file from the EXACT same location imports without issue when uploaded via the singular Import option. It's only and issue when using the macro import for that same file.
Appreciate any help! I am using the latest PBrowser version.

UPDATE: So the files I was using were manipulated by a sound normalizer program. Something with that program seemed to have "corrupted" those files. I was able to salvage the normalization work by taking all the new files into audacity and re-sampling + exporting them. Those all imported successfully via the macro afterwards. However, it still doesn't make sense to me that, before "correcting" them in that manner, that the files failed with the macro but succeeded with single import. Perhaps PBrowser does some WAV "correction" in the latter/singular method?

#3654 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Pinball Browser supporters,
I have some bad news. A couple days ago, Stern made some modifications to stop Pinball Browser from working. Again.
These modifications have clearly no other goal than that, and have no benefit for the user.
The nature of the changes are technical. New encoding techniques, changing how sound files work...actions that are specifically designed to make it difficult to modify a game. None of these changes are for the benefit of the owner of the game.
Stern is spending significant developer time on keeping their customers from modifying their games. Looking at these changes they've made, I'm actually surprised this is their focus, rather than features and game code updates that the players of the games really care about. From a risk/reward standpoint, they are also increasing the risk of introducing bugs in the code with no reward for it.
I still don't understand why they want so badly to stop PB.
I'm not their enemy, I've only played fair with them. I've always discouraged or made it difficult for copyrighted materials to be shared or distributed. I've never included functions to change things like the regional limitations (US/EU), to reset the lifetime audits, change the game rules or other things like that...
It is clear that it's easier for them to throw sand in the wheels of PB than for me to keep PB working. That must be their goal.
I have to warn you all that one day will come where it won't be possible to adjust PB and you won't be able to customize your games anymore. To prevent that, I suggest that
all of you write to Stern
about this unnecessary actions against PB. I would like to work with them! At a minimum, I need to understand what their issue is with a customer modifying their own machine. If a person buys a Ford, does Ford make all the bolts in the car tamperproof so you can't swap out a part? Is there some licensing issue that we don't understand?
Hopefully, they will engage directly with us on this.

I just emailed them after realizing all of this by way of opening JP 1.01 today and finding your post. There's nothing in the release notes that leads me to believe this update has much of a benefit to the gameplay itself. It just looks like some bug fixes, slight tweaks to mode scoring, and wording changes in menus. I have spent hundreds of hours over multiple months crafting customized callouts and music and was literally about to finally share a demo video of the work--work that I was so close to finishing. The fact that I can't move forward and am probably just going to have to call it quits is somewhat devastating. Hopefully others have emailed Stern as well.

#3696 4 years ago

I'm having an odd issue when importing sounds scripts via macros. When I import a sound (WAV mono in this case) that is slightly shorter in length than the original. PBrowser is throwing a "dB spike" which is making the sound clip at the end. When I do a manual, single importof the same file to that same script location (no adjusting, starting a '0') there is no issue. Only when using a macro does this happen.

I understand when the imported sound is shorter than the script location length, a "a blank space" gets added at the end. I'm fine with that. I have faded out the end in order to prevent when the longer script location is played, but this issue is negating that.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Please don't tell me I have to always adjust my wav to fit each script length. The reason I'm doing shorter is because for any given sound that is played there is anywhere from 2-7 script lines for that sound. That's why I'm using a macro. I take the shortest version of that script line as a baseline, and make my replacement sound fit that length. I then use the macro to replace all 2-7 locations with that single file.

Example of the macro line format I'm using: SoundScript,0x897,"C:\[file path]\[filename].wav",

This screenshot shows the same sound.
Top = The tail of the sound I am importing (notice nicely faded out to 0).
Bottom = The resulting problem sound file exported out of PBrowser (notice the "dB spike" added after the fade to 0).

2020-04-12_10-37-50 (resized).png2020-04-12_10-37-50 (resized).png
#3700 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

timlah79 Which game and version is it ?

JPLE 1.00.00

I think I may have figured out what's going on + a workaround. When I check the macro generated after a single import, I see it appends some position, duration and other params at the end like:

SoundScript,0x897,"C:\[file path]\[filename].wav",0,1831,100,0,10000

If I then run the problem macro format (without the appended, to reproduce the issue):
SoundScript,0x897,"C:\[file path]\[filename].wav",

Then turn right around and run the appended one after, the issue is corrected in that script location.

So in summary I guess my workaround is to add that appended information to every macro line. I take it all can remain the same except for the 2nd param which I now see is the ms duration of the imported file. I did just find a program that will read a folder of my WAVs and spit out their ms duration. So I guess I'll leverage that,some Notepad++ and regex wizardry to generate my macros in that format moving forward.

It does suck to have found this out now. I have already imported hundreds of new sound files. But things could be worse .

oga83 Would you consider what I've found a bug or expected behavior? What do you think of my workaround?

#3717 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

The SoundScript macro has 2 syntaxes :
- a 2-parameter syntax that is only used with sound engines that does not support editing functions (Windows multimédia, Mac OS)

SoundScript,SoundScriptId,Filename
- a 7-parameter syntax that is used with the MediaFoundation sound engine since PB v3.x

SoundScript,SoundScriptId,Filename,StartPositionMs,DurationMs,Volume%,LanguageIndex,LowPassFrequency
For instance :
SoundScript,0x18,"sound.mp3",0,598,100,0,10000
The aditional parameters are automatically generated when you manually import a sound.
The 2-parameter syntax makes no processing before the sound is imported. That's probably the reason why you get a glitch.
Whenever possible, I recommend using the 7-parameter syntax.

Thanks much oga83 I will use the 7 param syntax moving forward. However, you do understand this adds yet another few extra steps right? Is there any way you could make parity with the individual sound import? Meaning if none of the additional params are provided you simply automatically generate them, as if you were manually importing a sound? I still don't quite understand why the spike/glitch is added in the first place. Seems like a bug that it does that regardless.

#3730 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

The SoundScript macro has 2 syntaxes :
- a 2-parameter syntax that is only used with sound engines that does not support editing functions (Windows multimédia, Mac OS)

SoundScript,SoundScriptId,Filename
- a 7-parameter syntax that is used with the MediaFoundation sound engine since PB v3.x

SoundScript,SoundScriptId,Filename,StartPositionMs,DurationMs,Volume%,LanguageIndex,LowPassFrequency
For instance :
SoundScript,0x18,"sound.mp3",0,598,100,0,10000
The aditional parameters are automatically generated when you manually import a sound.
The 2-parameter syntax makes no processing before the sound is imported. That's probably the reason why you get a glitch.
Whenever possible, I recommend using the 7-parameter syntax.

Thanks so much for this @oga83. Unfortunately, I've found that this 7 param method is also prone to hitting the same issue, albeit slightly less often. There must still be a bug here. Hopefully you can make parity b/t individual upload and the no param syntax macro method in a later release? I've decided to go back to individual import for now. DM me if there are any specifics I can help with when you're able to investigate what's going on behind the scenes.

2 weeks later
#3775 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

None that I've tried, no.
Here's a screen shot of a TWD sound file in Audacity. Note the sample and bit rates - 24K and 32.
Even if I take care to tailor any sound I hope to import to also be 24K and saved at 32-bit, I still get the awful popping. I've tried ignoring the sample rate and just importing sounds at 41K, but, again, it helps me not.[quoted image]

FWIW I'm not sure what TWD uses for sample and bit depth, but I can tell you that stock sounds from Stern's JP LE firmware (both STEREO music and MONO callouts) are 44.1kHz, 16 bits. You can use a program like MediaInfo to see what the specs are of either your custom audio files or the game's stock sounds (by way of exporting them from PBrowser). So make sure you are using the same specs for your custom WAV as the stock sound's WAV.

Below is a screenshot from MediaInfo for one of the main STEREO JP music files I exported from JPLE 1.00.00.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure regardless of what you set your project sample rate in Audacity, unless you use the Tracks > Resample option (OR possibly if you select the WAV 24 bit or 32 bit file type options), when you export the exported file is going to be the same bit depth as the file you imported. Someone can fact check me on this last piece, I'm not an Audacity wizard.

Also, popping and cracking and other "why doesn't this sound the same in game as it does when I listen to it in my DAW" can be due to other reasons. For example if it's only when you export your imported sound back out of PBrowser that you notice these anomalies, it is likely the game code itself is manipulating the file. I have noticed this for example with overall volume. Certain script locations just simply play the audio with a different equalization or volume. I also found a bug with PBrowser where sometimes the end of the WAV will get a spike/pop will get added at the end: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/74#post-5591534

2020-05-03_11-01-17 (resized).png2020-05-03_11-01-17 (resized).png
1 month later
#3869 3 years ago

I feel like my answer is in this thread somewhere but I can't find it. When opening a stock version .spk, PB generates a .dat file. Is there an easy way to have that .dat file it auto creates add all default sound scripts to it (which of course are blank bookmarks). I just want the .dat file to have all the "blank" script location IDs within it so I can then take that into a text editor. You're probably laughing at me right now given the JP2 work I've done I just don't recall how I started with a fully populated, yet blank .dat file. I think I used a macro maybe to just add '*' to every script bookmark but I don't see a macro generated when I define a bookmark alone.

#3871 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I would not recommend that. If you sync these fake bookmarks with the online database, everyone will get them.
If you want an empty list with the sound script ids, I rather suggest that you generate it with excel.
Use a column to generate an incremental list (A2=1 and A3=A2+1) and use the following formula to convert it in hexa : B3="0x"&DECHEX(A3); then copy/paste A3 and B3 as many times as you want.
[quoted image]

This worked like a charm, oga83 ! And no I won't go syncing anything. So my motivation here is looking at what will need to be done to port custom code made from a JP2 LE/Prem firmware over to the Pro version. At least at first look it appears both .dat files have the exact same number of Sound Script Locations. So that's promising. I wonder if all that's needed from here is to macro import the sound files to the same locations in the Pro code and hopefully not run into that issue you helped me with a while back? (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/75#post-5592725) I think I still owe you some additional troubleshooting on that. It would make my life incredibly easier if I don't have to add the additional parameters, specific to each file length when doing the macro import. LMK

1 week later
#3947 3 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

I have a subject changer.
does the SHIFT ID method work anymore when Stern changes the sound locations or are they completely scrambling them making it impossible.

This is my conundrum. JP 1.00 vs. 1.01 script locations have been jumbled like crazy. I have yet to figure out a pattern.
For example, both of these script locations are the same script (same sound). However their respective hex location Ids have changed drastically (1.00 vs 1.01):

In 1.00 Script: 0x233 (0min 06s 056ms)
In 1.01 Script: 0x1FE (0min 06s 056ms)

SEE PIC BELOW

Note the 0x hex script location value differences. They are VASTLY far apart. So as you can see it's not just a few above/below like one would expect b/t 2 versions (i.e maybe 0x233 became 0x238 or something).

Believe me, I've looked at many other examples of this and done the math. I don't see any pattern. Not to mention both 1.00 and 1.01 have the exact same amount of sound scripts (well, 1.01 has literally 1 more, but that's it).

The only way I see to easily solve this is for PB to expose the timestamp within the .dat file as it does in the PB UI. If it did then I could sort by Script Duration ASC. Then use some excel + Notepad++ wizardry to line all bookmarks back up.

I say this b/c if you sort by Script Duration ASC in PB, using my 1.00 .dat for each, and look at both firmwares side by side, they all line up row by row -- aka 1.00 row D's actual sound is also 1.01 row D's sound aka the sounds are the same script just the location Id is vastly different. Since currently the .dat PB generates does not have that (0m00sec00ms) value in it + there's no way to export script locations via PB, there's no way for me to leverage sorting in the .dat by timestamp. Not to mention having that time value within any given .dat would be key for macro importing params.

oga83 Not trying to take away from the amazing work you did to open up these firmwares. I am incredibly thankful and will be re-donating again shortly. I just wanted to present this as a possible enhancement or see if you had any ideas for what I'm dealing with. I cannot fathom going through manually bookmarking all 3852 script locations again. Please share any advice, I can't be the only one running into this. Thanks so much for everything you do.

2020-07-12_20-30-08 (resized).png2020-07-12_20-30-08 (resized).png
#3970 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I will add a feature that compares 2 firmwares and automatically generates the ShiftId macros.

oga83 You are MAGIC! This feature is going to be invaluable, I can't thank you enough! Fresh donation sent.

#3977 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I have added a function to compare 2 firmwares and generate the corresponding ShiftId macros in v7.52.
For example :
- open JP1.01
- go to the Spike tab
- click on "Compare firmware..."
- select JP1.00
and you'll get the following macros that you can use to relocate the sounds :

-- JRP12F -> JRP101
-- Sounds :
-- New sound : 0x440
ShiftId 1,0x9,0xA
ShiftId 1,0xA,0x16
ShiftId 1,0xB,0x8
ShiftId 1,0xC,0x17
ShiftId 1,0xD,0x19
ShiftId 1,0xE,0x3
ShiftId 1,0xF,0x0
ShiftId 1,0x11,0x9
ShiftId 1,0x12,0x6
ShiftId 1,0x13,0x10
ShiftId 1,0x15,0x7
ShiftId 1,0x16,0xF
ShiftId 1,0x17,0x12
ShiftId 1,0x18,0xC
ShiftId 1,0x19,0xB
ShiftId 1,0x1A,0x1F0
ShiftId 1,0x1B,0x145

If this function works fine, I'll try to do the same for DMD frames, videos and scenes, but it will be more difficult.

Thanks oga83 ! I just tried this but I'm not seeing any change after running the macro list. These are the steps I took (using the RAW firmware versions).

1. Open 1.01 in PB
2. Click Spike > Compare Firmware
3. Open 1.00 (as this then prompts to open 1.00 in PB)
4. Wait for Analyzing sounds... to finish
5. 1.01 opens itself again in PB
6. Analyzing sounds... wait for that to finish
7. Text editor window appears with all the shift Id proposed changes

Here's a snippet of what that looks like:

-- JRP12F -> JRP101
-- Sounds :
-- New sound : 0x440
ShiftId,1,0x9,0xA
ShiftId,1,0xA,0x16
ShiftId,1,0xB,0x8
ShiftId,1,0xC,0x17
ShiftId,1,0xD,0x19
ShiftId,1,0xE,0x3
ShiftId,1,0xF,0x0
ShiftId,1,0x11,0x9
ShiftId,1,0x12,0x6
ShiftId,1,0x13,0x10
ShiftId,1,0x15,0x7
ShiftId,1,0x16,0xF
ShiftId,1,0x17,0x12
ShiftId,1,0x18,0xC
ShiftId,1,0x19,0xB
ShiftId,1,0x1A,0x1F0
ShiftId,1,0x1B,0x145

8. Select All > Copy from that text window
9. Return to PB with 1.01 loaded
10. Go to Macros > Paste
11. Click Run Macros
12. Go to Sounds > Sound Scripts and check/play a number of scripts

Result: The locations are still wrong/unchanged.

Am I doing something wrong?

I will say after spot checking the shiftId proposals from that txt file, comparing the 1.01 and 1.00 locations, they look to be pinpointing the right location changes (AMAZING!). So maybe I'm just being an idiot when it comes to running the macro? I did also try just running only like 20 of the changes/macro lines instead of the full 3,818 lines in that txt file. Still no changes are actually occurring AFAIK.

#3986 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

The ShiftId macro does not change the id of a sound within Pinball Browser. The id is related to the position and can't be changed.
Rather, ShiftId remaps a sound id within the macros scope :
Let's say you have the following macro for JP1.0 :
SoundScript,0x9,"newsound.mp3",0,207,100,0,10000
As you noticed, it won't run correctly on JP1.1 because sound script 0x9 is now 0xA.
To be able to run this macro on JP1.1, you have 2 possibilities :
- manually modify each id in the macro list :
SoundScript,0xA,"newsound.mp3",0,207,100,0,10000
- or use the ShiftId macro to reflect the changes between JP1.0 and JP1.1 :
ShiftId,1,0x9,0xA
SoundScript,0x9,"newsound.mp3",0,207,100,0,10000
In brief, use "Compare firmware" to generate the ShiftId macros and copy/paste them at the beginning of your macros.

Roger that! I knew I was misunderstanding something. This works for me. What an amazing feature, thank you again!

4 weeks later
#4055 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

I've never had any issues with Etcher.

I've actually had multiple issues with Etcher and have only started using it in the past month but have flashed a number of different SDs within that time. Mostly success but sometimes not. These are the issues I've faced and what I've done to overcome them. All of these descriptions are based on flashing a .raw Stern code (customized or not). I am using an external SD card USB reader BTW which could be compounding my problems. Or much of this could be faulty SDs but all of the ones I'm using are brand new. I do think overall there is a reliability issue with the Etcher software:
Reader I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARAH6O0/
SD cards I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0143RTB1E/

In any case, I hope this helps anyone facing similar issues:

1. Open etcher, select .raw file, then going to choose the drive/SD to flash to.
Issue: Drive/SD isn't an option (even though it is mounted and readable by my PC)
Solution: Remove SD and/or reader and plug back in or sometimes a full PC restart resolves.

2. Open etcher, select .raw file, choose the drive/SD to flash to, click Start.
Issue: Immediate "unknown error"
Solution: Restart PC and try again (no clue why this resolves the issue, possibly some cached memory problem that Etcher introduced during the previous flash)

3. Open etcher, select .raw file, choose the drive/SD to flash to, click Start, click yes for the resulting Allow prompt
Issue: Ether flashing progress starts as expected but nearing the end it displays an unknown error.
Solution: Re-format the SD and try again.

4. Etcher reports its successfully flashed with verification success. Load the flashed SD into my pin (Stern JP2) and boot up
Issue: JP2 just hangs, black screen on the DMD. All red lights on the board behind the backglass lit, nothing "blinking"
Solution: Re-format the SD and try again.

1 week later
#4071 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Etcher is a cross-platform utility. You didn't mention which OS you are using. I'm using Etcher on the macOS. No issues with that tool.

Windows 10. Most of the time no issues but I am using it a lot, and with different but the same type of SD cards and would say there's some kind of 1/5 failure rate at least. I'm thinking of using a different utility/app moving forward.

#4078 3 years ago

Similar to what delt31 said, I ran into a few issues immediately upon implementing a single video change in JP 1.02 (using PB 7.56). The file I was importing was an H.264 .mp4 converted from a .mov file. All I did was add some overlay text/graphics to the existing video that I had exported from PB to edit, then bounced that version of the video to a new .mp4.

Issue 1: Video did not seem to import when testing on my JP pin. The stock video was still playing.

Cause: In the Videos tab I located the video I wanted to replace. There were two nearly identical locations JawsIntroToIsland_Title and JawsIntroToIsland_Title_NoText. The issue is that PB wasn't actually honoring the video location I was at. I would type in and let PB autofill the location name and hit enter. While it appeared I was at that video location (which are 0x60 and 0x61), it kept showing that I was at location 0x0. So when I was importing manually I was unknowingly importing my video to the 0x0 location over and over again.

Solution: Start over with a fresh code version. Then I kept having to quit and restart PB to make sure that when I hit enter, I was actually looking at and importing to the right location. I can consistently reproduce this. Here's a screenshot. Note that it shows 0x0 when it should be showing 0x60. Trying to select another location from the dropdown list also results in me staying at 0x0 BTW.

2020-08-30_11-22-49 (resized).png2020-08-30_11-22-49 (resized).png

Issue 2: Videos tab > Import Video option appears to be broken. Any time I use that option to import a video file I get a nasty null reference exception (sorry I don't have a screenshot of that as reproing it corrupts the firmware file = Issue 3).

Solution: Only use the Import file (no conversion) option instead. However, this also resulted in an error if I tried to import the same .mp4 file to the other location JawsIntroToIsland_Title_NoText after I had just imported it without error to JawsIntroToIsland_Title.

Issue 3: Upon any given, seemingly successful flash of the new firmware the pin wouldn't load up. Instead it would show the JP logo, then say "game restarting..." over and over in a loop.

Cause: Not entirely sure. I feel like each time this happened was after I got some kind of Issue 2 error in PB which was corrupting the firmware.

Solution: Start over and try again. If you don't get any errors upon importing video files the resulting firmware should load up correctly.

Perhaps, overall the safer bet is to use macros instead of manual UI importing for videos? Not trying to knock this feature whatsoever, it's amazing. Just wanted to provide some input for possible bug fixes and to help others running into the same.

#4084 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

4- Close your firmware, go to the SmartDmd tab and use the Disk Image / Write to SD function.

oga83 How can this feature be used for .RAW files? It only allows selecting a .IMG file.

#4086 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

You can manually type in the absolute path and file name to burn a raw image.
I reported that bug recently and oga83 is going to fix it in a future release.

Thanks daveyvandy But when I paste in the full file path then hit Write to SD I get this. Is this b/c I have already opened that same file in PB? I just tried the same but without opening the .RAW file first. It's writing now. Unfortunately the only reason I'm doing the PB write to SD method vs Balena vs Win32DiskImager is b/c no matter what, the resulting SD in the machine does that restarting game loop/never loads up, it gives me the "restarting game" loop over and over. All I've done is taken a working .RAW, add a single .mp4 video, no errors in the import process. I'm used to seeing a video file upload error during a given PB video import to let me know that the code is borked.

NOPE No dice with this PB write to SD method. Still getting that damn "restarting game" loop. I don't know what could possibly be going wrong here. I've tried everything. oga83 Can you please help?

2020-08-31_17-37-08 (resized).png2020-08-31_17-37-08 (resized).png

#4092 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Similar to what delt31 said, I ran into a few issues immediately upon implementing a single video change in JP 1.02 (using PB 7.56). The file I was importing was an H.264 .mp4 converted from a .mov file. All I did was add some overlay text/graphics to the existing video that I had exported from PB to edit, then bounced that version of the video to a new .mp4.
Issue 1: Video did not seem to import when testing on my JP pin. The stock video was still playing.
Cause: In the Videos tab I located the video I wanted to replace. There were two nearly identical locations JawsIntroToIsland_Title and JawsIntroToIsland_Title_NoText. The issue is that PB wasn't actually honoring the video location I was at. I would type in and let PB autofill the location name and hit enter. While it appeared I was at that video location (which are 0x60 and 0x61), it kept showing that I was at location 0x0. So when I was importing manually I was unknowingly importing my video to the 0x0 location over and over again.
Solution: Start over with a fresh code version. Then I kept having to quit and restart PB to make sure that when I hit enter, I was actually looking at and importing to the right location. I can consistently reproduce this. Here's a screenshot. Note that it shows 0x0 when it should be showing 0x60. Trying to select another location from the dropdown list also results in me staying at 0x0 BTW.
[quoted image]
Issue 2: Videos tab > Import Video option appears to be broken. Any time I use that option to import a video file I get a nasty null reference exception (sorry I don't have a screenshot of that as reproing it corrupts the firmware file = Issue 3).
Solution: Only use the Import file (no conversion) option instead. However, this also resulted in an error if I tried to import the same .mp4 file to the other location JawsIntroToIsland_Title_NoText after I had just imported it without error to JawsIntroToIsland_Title.
Issue 3: Upon any given, seemingly successful flash of the new firmware the pin wouldn't load up. Instead it would show the JP logo, then say "game restarting..." over and over in a loop.
Cause: Not entirely sure. I feel like each time this happened was after I got some kind of Issue 2 error in PB which was corrupting the firmware.
Solution: Start over and try again. If you don't get any errors upon importing video files the resulting firmware should load up correctly.
Perhaps, overall the safer bet is to use macros instead of manual UI importing for videos? Not trying to knock this feature whatsoever, it's amazing. Just wanted to provide some input for possible bug fixes and to help others running into the same.

oga83 This video import issue is driving me insane. Can you please help?

Steps I take:

1. Open fresh version of a working, previously edited firmware .RAW
2. Upon no bookmarks available, check online prompts and I choose NO
3. Go to Scenes > Select "Search and bookmark videos"
4. Go to Videos > locate and confirm the Video location of the video I want to replace
5. Import a new version of that same video .mp4, same length (and even same filename as a test but either way new or old filename fails)
6. Select "Import video..."
RESULT: This error:
2020-09-01_10-57-11 (resized).png2020-09-01_10-57-11 (resized).png

Try again starting over with a new copy of a working .RAW and go through steps 1-5
6. Try Import file (no conversion...) instead
RESULT: This error:
2020-09-01_15-26-28 (resized).png2020-09-01_15-26-28 (resized).png

NOTE: I have also re-downloaded all the ffmpeg .exe's and put them into the main PB 7.56 folder. I still cannot play videos within PB from the Videos tab either. I click the Play button and nothing happens. Also when PB prompts you to download ffmpeg it takes you to a link that downloads some kind of .tar file, not an archive of the actual .exe's PB expects...

What could be going on here? Appreciate anyone's help.

#4097 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I can't reproduce that.
What I did :
- Downloaded a fresh JP1.02 LE firmware;
- Opened it with PB v7.56 and used the "Scenes / Search and Bookmark videos" function;
- In the "Videos" tab, I went to 0x60, used "Import Video..." to import a ramdom .mp4 (my file has 4911 frames instead of 705 for the original video) :
[quoted image]
- And the result is here :
[quoted image]
The firmware filesystem is very sensitive. If you experience a crash in PB, it can get corrupted (my filesystem code does not implement journal recovery) and you'd better start with a fresh one.

Thanks oga83 . I just tried your exact steps, fresh ffmpeg, PB 7.56, and JP 1.02 downloads and have the same results. No ability to play videos, same errors / exceptions upon import. Is there any action I need to take against those ffmpeg exe's besides simply copying them into the PB root folder? Does this point to an issue with my PC in general? I don't have another PC I can try this on. I've never had any issues like this with audio.

#4100 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Is the error happening immediately after clicking on "Import video..." or does it take some time ?
It it takes some time, it means that the import has started. If so, can the new video be played once you restart Pinball Browser ?

Both paths lead to an immediate error. And no I have never been able to play videos from any version of PB. :/

Quoted from cabal:

sounds very bad. I tried to play it through and on my pc it worked. Downloaded jp 1.02 LE and replaced video. Playing and replacing worked.
What os are you using? Windows 10?
where is the pb 7.56 folder located in downloads? or have you moved it somewhere else?
where is the jp 1.02 folder located, local disk?
maybe some information on this can help to figure out why it is not working.

What os are you using? Windows 10?
YES, Windows 10.

where is the pb 7.56 folder located in downloads? or have you moved it somewhere else?

It's in C:\Users\[My Name]\Documents\JP Sound Replacement (MOVED 4-18x03-19-20)\PinballBrowser756\ - I have wondered if the location or my weird folder name is the issue. I tried moving \PinballBrowser756 and a sample video file .mp4 to my Desktop root folder but that didn't change anything.

where is the jp 1.02 folder located, local disk?

C:\Users\[My Name]\Documents\JP Sound Replacement (MOVED 4-18x03-19-20)\jurassic_park_le-1_02_0.Release.8G.sdcard.raw\

What folder should PB be located in general? Willing to try just about anything at this point. Thank you both again!

#4102 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Do you mean that you can't play any video from a fresh firmware ? Only with JP or with some other firmwares ?

Windows 10 is ok and the executable and firmware locations should not be an issue.
You can place them wherever you want as long as the user has read/write permissions.
From what you describe, I'd say the issue is related to FFmpeg that can't be started correctly by Pinball Browser.
But from the error message and details you PM'ed me, I'd say that your firmware is corrupted

Just tried with a fresh download of the latest TMNT 1.21 RAW. Still cannot play videos. Same errors trying to import any given video to a randomly chosen location in this firmware.

Also as I mentioned I tried a fresh download of JP 1.02 RAW, so it's not a corrupted firmware issue. Yes the user logged in is my only, full admin rights user.

Is there something I can do to "fix" ffmpeg or at least determine if that's the issue? Again I did try putting the exact .exe's you mentioned (freshly downloaded from the instructions you sent) into my PB root folder.

Follow up question: Does the having ffmpeg exes have any effect on importing a video or is that just for playback in PB (when it comes to videos)?

Also just as a reminder, macro upload using either the 0 or the 1 flag that you mentioned in a similar post fails with the same errors, respectively.

#4109 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Just to quickly confirm. Are all of your ffmpeg executables in a folder called ffmpeg in the pinball browser directory?

No they are in the root PB directory. Should they be in a sub-folder called ffmpeg?

#4111 3 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

Thats very strange again. I cannot see anything wrong, as oga83 mentions, win10 is ok, your path seems to be able to read an write.
I tend to use short paths as possible. But it seems not longer than 250 Charakters, so it should be ok.
But to be sure maybe just create very short path: like c:\temp\ and put pb and jp in there.

Tried without luck. Cannot play videos, cannot import.

Quoted from cabal:

Could also try to test if ffmplay.exe is working from command line. open a command line (cmd.exe) and change into the folder of PB and then,
Like "ffplay.exe movie.mp4" when you have a movie.mp4 in the path of pb. movie.mp4 i put in as placeholder for any video you could put there.
with this it should start playing the movie. If ffplay.exe does not work you would get an error message.
As i understand in PB browser ffmpeg is essential for Playing the Videos and when you import them. I am not sure about exporting and importing without conversion.

Tried this as well and there is no issue playing any given video in this manner.

I'm still so stumped. I even dug into Windows Event logs to see if any warnings or errors were occurring when trying to play videos from PB. I've come up with nothing.

Thanks for your troubleshooting help! I'll get to the bottom of this eventually.

#4112 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

The FFmpeg files should be with Pinball-Browser.exe; NOT in a sub-directory.

That's what I figured and that's where they are. Do you think my import errors are directly related to the inability to play videos in PB? Are there any logging tools or specific things I haven't mentioned/tried yet to troubleshoot and determine the root cause of all these issues?

#4116 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

FFmpeg is used for both playing and importing videos.
FFplay.exe is not used. Only FFmpeg.exe and FFprobe.exe.
If Pinball Browser is not asking for it, it means that it has been found at the right place.
I assume that it worked in the past. What happened since then ?
New version of PB (did you try the previous one ?)
New firmware ? (did you try the old one ?)
New PC, Windows, ... ?

I honestly don't think playing or importing videos ever worked for me on this PC with any code or PB version. I have gone through past firmwares, past PB versions too and same results. Unfortunately my only other PC is my work PC and IT will flag it if I download code or PB onto it.

There must be something wrong with how my PC is handling FFmpeg in general. How can I troubleshoot this? Can video cards, drivers, or display settings be part of the issue? If anti-virus could be in play I have no 3rd party virus program going on, just standard windows defender. Something must be getting "blocked" somewhere. Can I see this in Windows Event Viewer? If so, where would I look? Is there any other logging/debugging app that could tell me what's going on?

#4122 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Sysinternals has process monitor and process explorer that might help.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

I got sysmon fired up but I'm not seeing any errors or warnings. During testing of playback only, I see CONHOST.EXE "informational" events around Process Create and Process Terminate for when PB is accessing ffprobe.exe and temp .mp4 files are being generated in /AppData/Local/Temp.

oga83 Is it bad that, for ffprobe.exe a ProcessCreate event occurs, then and a ProcessTerminate follows just milliseconds after? This is simply me selecting a video and clicking Play.

i.e. ProcessCreate

EventData

RuleName -
UtcTime 2020-09-07 18:06:34.366
ProcessGuid {9094b94b-76aa-5f56-3b05-000000001c00}
ProcessId 3832
Image C:\Windows\System32\conhost.exe
FileVersion 10.0.19041.153 (WinBuild.160101.0800)
Description Console Window Host
Product Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company Microsoft Corporation
OriginalFileName CONHOST.EXE
CommandLine \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\conhost.exe 0xffffffff -ForceV1
CurrentDirectory C:\WINDOWS
User DESKTOP-60KTN20\My Name
LogonGuid {9094b94b-54e4-5f56-1ccf-480000000000}
LogonId 0x48cf1c
TerminalSessionId 2
IntegrityLevel High
Hashes SHA1=578C53A7A785A7238272E28C53684FB51995E663
ParentProcessGuid {9094b94b-76aa-5f56-3a05-000000001c00}
ParentProcessId 9048
ParentImage C:\PB_short_path_test\PinballBrowser756\ffprobe.exe
ParentCommandLine "C:\PB_short_path_test\PinballBrowser756\ffprobe.exe" -v error -show_format -show_streams -print_format xml C:\Users\My Name\AppData\Local\Temp\pbi2.mp4

Then the next event is immediately...

ProcessTerminate

EventData

RuleName -
UtcTime 2020-09-07 18:06:34.425
ProcessGuid {9094b94b-76aa-5f56-3a05-000000001c00}
ProcessId 9048
Image C:\PB_short_path_test\PinballBrowser756\ffprobe.exe

#4124 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

This seems normal but I can't tell for sure from this information.
Try the same PB/FFmeg/Firmware on a different PC and see if it works.
I'm not aware of anyone else having this kind of issue.

Hey oga83 . Unfortunately as I mentioned I don't have any other PC to use, I've got to get this one working. I decided to reach out in the FFmpeg forum itself and a couple of helpful people have had me do some command line tests. In all tests they are saying that FFmpeg (ffprobe.exe specifically) seems to be working as expected. Here's our latest correspondence and their thoughts.

[FFmpeg Forum User] The first log entry appears to show how the app called FFprobe. You
could try to run that same command yourself from the Command Prompt:

C:\> "C:\PB_short_path_test\PinballBrowser756\ffprobe.exe" -v error
-show_format -show_streams -print_format xml "C:\Users\My
Name\AppData\Local\Temp\pbi2.mp4"

When you run that, what do you get?

Also, the final quoted entry in that command is the location of the file
being probed. Maybe try this again, but with you filling in the location
of the file you want to use.

Try posting the complete uncut command and output of those two experiments."

[Tim] Here is the command line output of both tests one after the other:

TEST 1:
-------
C:\Users\My Name>"C:\PB_short_path_test\PinballBrowser756\ffprobe.exe" -v error -show_format -show_streams -print_format xml "C:\Users\My Name\AppData\Local\Temp\pbi2.mp4"
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<ffprobe>
<streams>
<stream index="0" codec_name="h264" codec_long_name="H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10" profile="Constrained Baseline" codec_type="video" codec_time_base="1/60" codec_tag_string="avc1" codec_tag="0x31637661" width="1360" height="768" coded_width="1360" coded_height="768" closed_captions="0" has_b_frames="0" pix_fmt="yuv420p" level="30" chroma_location="left" refs="1" is_avc="true" nal_length_size="4" r_frame_rate="30/1" avg_frame_rate="30/1" time_base="1/15360" start_pts="0" start_time="0.000000" duration_ts="236032" duration="15.366667" bit_rate="986381" bits_per_raw_sample="8" nb_frames="461">
<disposition default="1" dub="0" original="0" comment="0" lyrics="0" karaoke="0" forced="0" hearing_impaired="0" visual_impaired="0" clean_effects="0" attached_pic="0" timed_thumbnails="0"/>
<tag key="language" value="eng"/>
<tag key="handler_name" value="VideoHandler"/>
<tag key="encoder" value="Lavc57.15.100 libx264"/>
</stream>
</streams>

<format filename="C:\Users\My Name\AppData\Local\Temp\pbi2.mp4" nb_streams="1" nb_programs="0" format_name="mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2" format_long_name="QuickTime / MOV" start_time="0.000000" duration="15.367000" size="1897367" bit_rate="987761" probe_score="100">
<tag key="major_brand" value="qt "/>
<tag key="minor_version" value="512"/>
<tag key="compatible_brands" value="qt "/>
<tag key="date" value="2018-11-08T21:49:34.493414"/>
<tag key="encoder" value="Lavf57.16.100"/>
</format>
</ffprobe>

TEST 2
------
C:\Users\My Name>"C:\PB_short_path_test\PinballBrowser756\ffprobe.exe" -v error -show_format -show_streams -print_format xml "C:\PB_short_path_test\123.mp4"
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<ffprobe>
<streams>
<stream index="0" codec_name="h264" codec_long_name="H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10" profile="High" codec_type="video" codec_time_base="1001/120000" codec_tag_string="avc1" codec_tag="0x31637661" width="1920" height="1080" coded_width="1920" coded_height="1088" closed_captions="0" has_b_frames="0" sample_aspect_ratio="1: 1" display_aspect_ratio="16:9" pix_fmt="yuv420p" level="42" color_range="tv" color_space="bt709" color_transfer="bt709" color_primaries="bt709" chroma_location="left" field_order="progressive" refs="1" is_avc="true" nal_length_size="4" r_frame_rate="60000/1001" avg_frame_rate="60000/1001" time_base="1/60000" start_pts="0" start_time="0.000000" duration_ts="1577576" duration="26.292933" bit_rate="20046181" bits_per_raw_sample="8" nb_frames="1576">
<disposition default="1" dub="0" original="0" comment="0" lyrics="0" karaoke="0" forced="0" hearing_impaired="0" visual_impaired="0" clean_effects="0" attached_pic="0" timed_thumbnails="0"/>
<tag key="creation_time" value="2020-09-07T19:57:49.000000Z"/>
<tag key="language" value="und"/>
<tag key="handler_name" value="Core Media Video"/>
</stream>
</streams>

<format filename="C:\PB_short_path_test\123.mp4" nb_streams="1" nb_programs="0" format_name="mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2" format_long_name="QuickTime / MOV" start_time="0.000000" duration="26.292933" size="66199052" bit_rate="20142006" probe_score="100">
<tag key="major_brand" value="mp42"/>
<tag key="minor_version" value="1"/>
<tag key="compatible_brands" value="mp41mp42isom"/>
<tag key="creation_time" value="2020-09-07T19:57:49.000000Z"/>
</format>
</ffprobe>

[FFmpeg Forum User] What this seems to show is that FFprobe is installed, and runs correctly, giving reasonable output. That makes it more likely that the log entries you posted are noting a successful run of FFprobe, instead of a failed run. I think that puts the ball back in the PinballBrowser court. Is it getting the same result when it calls FFprobe? And that is a question for them, not for this list.

oga83 Does any of this help?

#4126 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Not really. FFmpeg is not the only thing involved when playing a video.
The firmware file you use, your AV, the Microsoft .net framework are also important parts.

I don't think so. At this point, the only thing I can tell is that I've never seen this issue on any other installation.
That rather points to your PC. If you can't try on a different one, it will be more complicated to be sure. There are too many parameters here.
Start by downloading the FW and PB again, reinstall the .Net framework (see the FAQ), disable you AV, run PB as an Administrator in a root folder (for example c:\pb).
Have you tried what cabal suggested here ? In particular running PB in a VM ?

I had 0 success uninstalling/reinstalling .NET framework, sfc /scannow etc. So I took it a whole step further and reinstalled Windows 10. Same results.

I don't have any AV running beyond Windows Defender. I had already tried temporarily disabling that before.

No I haven't tried a Virtual Env yet, I guess that would be my next step but I have Windows 10 Home Edition--looking online that seems like a sketchy, huge PITA involving more 3rd party Hyper-V installs... The above alone took hours to do and was sketchy in itself.

Also to clarify, I am not the only person having these issues. In this and my forum thread you can see many people having issues when video playback and/or import is involved. Not to mention the resulting firmware not working properly on their pin. I have looked through it all and tried everything.

This makes no sense. Without buying a whole new PC, I feel very stuck at this point.

#4129 3 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

timlah79 : are you using a standard user with all privileges? did you try to check on the admin rights on pinball prowser but also on ffmpeg exe ?
running a 32 or 64 bits version ? with a blank new windows 10 version, you just installed .NET, pinball browser and copy ffmepg in the install folder ?

I am the only user, a "Local Account Administrator". I have checked rights on everything even to the point of putting Full Control across everything. 64-bit. For the reinstall I used the method outlined here (in order to save all my apps and files): https://www.techspot.com/guides/1764-windows-repair-keep-all-your-files-intact/
After all of this .NET Framework shows as installed already under "Turn Windows Features on or off". Both of these are turned ON. I tried the turn off, restart, turn back on, restart process as well as the NetFXRepairTool.
.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)
.NET Framework 4.8 Advanced Services

#4130 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I must have missed it.
That would definitely help if we can find a common denominator.
Can you point out some posts describing the same issue (someone who is not able to play any video from a fresh firmware) ?
This is very unlikely, but just to make sure : are you using Windows 10 with an ARM processor ? because I'm not sure how Pinball Browser works with this OS version.

I'm not sure if people have had the no playback issue but definitely all of those import errors/exceptions have been reported before. I don't think I'm using an ARM processor, at least I don't see such a thing in My PC > Properties. I see Processor: Intel(R) Core(TIM) i7 3770K CPU 3.5GHz 3.90GHz
for Windows Edition it just says Windows 10 Home.

Quoted from oga83:

Was it a "repair current installation" or a "reinstall from scratch" ? If you reinstall Windows, Pinball Browser's token id will change. In this case, PM it to me so that I can update it for you.

It wasn't a repair (I don't think?) but the token id was/is fine. I used this process: https://www.techspot.com/guides/1764-windows-repair-keep-all-your-files-intact/

#4133 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Pinball Browser requires .Net Framework 4.0

But Windows 10 comes pre-installed with .NET Framework 4.8... I don't see how to get rid of it and revert to 4.0. Do you know how to do this?

#4137 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

You don't get rid of it. I believe 4.0 or higher is what Oga83 means.

Ok well I've had 4.8 all along and yeah as I've read online "The .NET Framework 4.8 is backwards compatible with .NET Framework 4.0 applications."

So I'm still at square one.

Quoted from Coyote:

I may have missed it, but do you get the same result if you right-click on the shortcut, and select "Run as Administrator"?

Yes I've tried with and without doing that multiple times.

#4139 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, just thought I'd check, as I didn't catch it being mentioned.
Can you provide the full error in that second screenshot in this post?

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Exception: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown.
at DiskTools.FileSystemExt4..set_Position(Int64 )
at  .(Int64 )
at   .(  , UInt32 , List`1 , Byte )
at   .(  , Int32 , Int32 )
at PinballBrowser.FormMainWindow. (Object , EventArgs )
at PinballBrowser.FormMainWindow.(Boolean )
at PinballBrowser.FormMainWindow.(Boolean )
at PinballBrowser.FormMainWindow. (Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.8.4200.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Pinball-Browser
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Tim%20Stiles/Documents/JP%20Sound%20Replacement%20(MOVED%204-18x03-19-20)/PinballBrowser756/Pinball-Browser.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.8.4084.0 built by: NET48REL1
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
Win32 Version: 4.8.4190.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
NAudio
Assembly Version: 1.7.0.15
Win32 Version: 1.7.0.15
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Tim%20Stiles/Documents/JP%20Sound%20Replacement%20(MOVED%204-18x03-19-20)/PinballBrowser756/NAudio.DLL
Microsoft.CSharp
Win32 Version: 4.8.4084.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
System.Xml.Linq
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Dynamic
Win32 Version: 4.8.4084.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
DiscUtils
Assembly Version: 0.11.0.0
Win32 Version: 0.11.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Tim%20Stiles/Documents/JP%20Sound%20Replacement%20(MOVED%204-18x03-19-20)/PinballBrowser756/DiscUtils.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

#4141 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

But Windows 10 comes pre-installed with .NET Framework 4.8... I don't see how to get rid of it and revert to 4.0. Do you know how to do this?

I just did the worst thing ever and downloaded PB, the latest JP 1.02 LE firmware, and ffmpeg exe's onto my work PC. I can now play videos from PB on this work PC. I have not tried uploading a video file. I need to delete this soon or I'll get flagged by my IT dept.

Either way I wanted to mention that going to "Turn Windows Features on/off" reveals that my work PC has < 4.0 (aka 3.0, 2.0 etc) disabled by default and the 4.0 shows as 4.7. Does this help? Screenshot attached.

I guess my next question is does anyone's PBrowser on a PC with 4.8 allow them to playback videos from the Videos tab? I hope I'm not going to have to buy a new PC and just to continue working on custom code.
2020-09-11_20-41-59 (resized).png2020-09-11_20-41-59 (resized).png

#4150 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

No need for that. The error message is pretty clear and the call is identified.
It points to a corrupted firmware which is not the case. Maybe the PC FS or HDD is corrupted ?

Thank you ALL oga83 cabal Coyote BENETNATH ! I broke down and just bought a new laptop ... I couldn't take the troubleshooting any longer since it seemed there'd be no resolution. The new laptop has Windows 10 Professional, i7 Core Intel, and .NET Framework 4.7 Advanced installed. It works with both playback and import of videos in PB, yet my other PC doesn't. It's a mystery wrapped in an enigma....

It's just so odd b/c on the problem PC my .NET Framework 4.8, processor, everything fits the bill as per what you all have said. It's not a file path length issue, corrupt FFmpeg, nor corrupt firmware either. I've ruled all of that out (as noted in previous posts). I have had no other issues like this with any other app/program on that PC either. It's a high performance gaming tower for all things video and audio. Perhaps wiping it's Windows 10 Home OS and HDD altogether would fix all of this but that's not a procedure I want to go through and I still feel like there is some other conflict that wouldn't resolve. You would think somewhere in some logging utility I'd see what the heck is going on but it all looks good from what I've tried.

Coyote How do I test RAM stability? I'm willing to try that as one last hope.

Anyway if you guys come to an epiphany within the next 30 days, I could return this laptop and you'd save me $1.2k!! For now I need to get back to being creative instead of spending hours into insanity trying to fix this stupid PC.

2 weeks later
#4195 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Stern's website talking about flashing their stock images you download from them. In this case, Etcher works correctly. When you start modifying images with Pinball Browser, that's where Etcher can have issues (for whatever reason, no one knows). In cases where modified images are giving Etcher fits, Win32DiskImager or just the Pinball Browser software itself can successfully flash the card.

Yup. Well said. Moral of the unknown story...

Make audio asset changes? Use any flashing app.
Make video/image/scene changes? Use Win32 or PB's built in flash feature.

With all that noted, I really wish someone could get to the bottom of this. Even with success in any method used when it comes to image/video, one is likely to run the risk of a random game restart.

4 weeks later
#4214 3 years ago

oga83 FYI, JP v.1.03 won't open. It just sits on "Processing....". Any luck on surpassing the same/similar blockers with other game codes? Feel free to PM me if I can help overcome this new hurdle.

#4221 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Thanks.
Unfortunately, the encoding has changed again and Pinball Browser can't open the latest firmwares.

I assume you're working on this though, oga83 ? Please PM me if I can help.

1 week later
#4253 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

My apologies for the delay.
Like many of you, we're dealing with COVID lockdowns and restricted movement, and there hasn't been as much time as I'd like to work on this lately.
That being said, I'm happy to announce release v7.60 !
It works with all the new firmwares :
- Elvira 1.01
- Avengers 0.93
- Deadpool 1.04
- Jurassik Park 1.03
- TMNT 1.23
- Stranger Things 0.99.1
I have only tested the Premium/LE versions but there is no reason that it shouldn't work with the Pro.
Just a warning : due to the lockdown, I did not have access to these games and could not verify that a modified firmware was working properly.
[quoted image]
I also re-introduced the firmware download feature which was broken :
[quoted image]
This new version can be downloaded here

oga83 First of all you are an amazing mad scientist! THANK YOU!

I have a question about the JP Video locations. 6 Videos have been added to 1.03 (they added 6 x videos for their new JukeBox Feature - i.e. JUKEBOX_LOOP1, JUKEBOX_LOOP2, ... all the way to LOOP6). This has shifted the 1.02 Video locations by 6 places in either direction (+6 or -6). Since there isn't a TranslateId feature for Videos can you please share the math needed to take a 1.02 location Macro to and convert it to 1.03?

EXAMPLE:

1.02 Location and Macro for ATTRACT_LOOP1:
1.02 = 0x4

Video,4,"[filepath]\ATTRACT_LOOP1-34TS-Video-0x0004.mp4",0,502,0

1.03 Location and Macro for ATTRACT_LOOP1:
1.03 = 0x141

Video,321,"[filepath]\ATTRACT_LOOP1-34TS-Video-0x0004.mp4",0,502,0

#4255 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

oga83 First of all you are an amazing mad scientist! THANK YOU!
I have a question about the JP Video locations. 6 Videos have been added to 1.03 (they added 6 x videos for their new JukeBox Feature - i.e. JUKEBOX_LOOP1, JUKEBOX_LOOP2, ... all the way to LOOP6. This has shifted the 1.02 Video locations by 6 places in either direction (+6 or -6). Since there isn't a TranslateId feature for Videos can you please share the math needed to take a 1.02 location Macro to and convert it to 1.03?
EXAMPLE:
1.02 Location and Macro for ATTRACT_LOOP1:
1.02 = 0x4
Video,4,"[filepath]\ATTRACT_LOOP1-34TS-Video-0x0004.mp4",0,502,0
1.03 Location and Macro for ATTRACT_LOOP1:
1.03 = 0x141
Video,321,"[filepath]\ATTRACT_LOOP1-34TS-Video-0x0004.mp4",0,502,0

I think I figured this out. I had to subtract 6 from each 1.02 location then my macros put all videos in the right spots. For those already < 6 i.e Video,4,xxxx I manually imported them where they should be. I will say that a Translate video locations feature is in order though given we/I got lucky here.

1 week later
#4266 3 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

If you’re using Audacity, you should should run the compressor plug in on your samples (sometimes more than once) to maximize the volume. All of the Stern audio has no dynamic range, they max the shit out it....waveform looks like a brick. These are settings I use in Audacity.
[quoted image]

cleland is absolutely right about how stock callouts are bricked to no end. For me when taking literally boom mic recorded, uncompressed, 1993 audio for JP, I had to go even more intense than this with many of the clips. If like usual the clip has a low b/g floor noise I use a noise reduction plug-in lightly. If I hear artifacts I undo this. I then normalize the wav once at -1db. I then use another vocal leveler plug-in 1-4 times depending on the needs of the clip. This essentially bricks the waveform to a manner that the game expects. Then if the callout in game still seems low I bump it via PB 105-120% all depending. This is also not an exact science and you can unexpectedly distort the sound. You also may benefit from EQing the callout before you go hammering it. As they say in audio production land, you can't polish a turd aka if your source audio sucks, you're likely going to run in circles and just end up creating a louder turd . You need to understand the frequency spectrum and noise floor of the file at first, but for quick and dirty the above is my general method. It sucks to have to "ruin" the dynamics of the file but to cleland's point, all stock callouts are just smashed to hell, already some are distorted, and they are recording voice actors in a vocal booth which are likely far more isolated than the clip you're using to replace. Compare the stock callout to the clip you plan on replacing it with. If things seem the same-ish frequency and level wise, your new wav should be good to go. Also make sure you're working at the correct sample rate. Movie audio is generally 48k. Not all Stern audio is, could be 44.1k so adjust your session accordingly. Otherwise you'll get more artifacts and odd faster/slower sounding exported wavs.

#4283 3 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

I have found another little bug in version 7.62
If you open an sd card image, let's say Elvira House of Horrors 1.01 with Pinball Browser
Then you click on the video tab for processing all the videos
Then, without closing Pinball Browser, you load another sd card image, let's say Deadpool LE 1.05
Then you click on the video tab (processing doesn't seem to be triggered this time)
The video of Elvira House of Horrors are still there (the content of the others tabs seems correct):
[quoted image]

I've noticed this too with earlier 7.61. I always close PB entirely before opening another image to avoid this issue and possible errors that may brick the code. Videos are very sensitive for some reason. Also ffmpeg seems to only run well with one version open. While yes this is probably a minor bug, It's good practice to close and reopen PB, working on one file at a time.

2 months later
#4441 3 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I'm not very good with computers barley use them. I did download it. I think I copied it correctly, but what is a directory. What I did and it did not work was I downloaded it. Copied it and pasted it into the pinball browser folder. Nothing happened not sure if that was correct.

Coolpinballdino This can be confusing for sure. PB does direct you to the correct site to download the ffmpeg exe's you need but navigating that site is a little odd. The ffmpeg site seems to change constantly and it's somewhat difficult to figure out which 'package' you need to download.

Here's what I can say as of going to the site today (others may have easier instructions). Once PB directs you to the ffmpeg site:

1. Click the Windows icon (not the other green download buttons)
  2. Click "Windows builds from gyan.dev"
  3. Scroll down to click and download "https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/ffmpeg-git-full.7z" (*Or just Click Here to directly download it from that link
  4. Use Z-zip to extract the downloaded folder (Google/download and install Z-zip if your PC can't extract it with another existing utility)
  5. Once extracted navigate through the extracted ffmpeg folder to the bin folder. (i.e. Downloads\ffmpeg-2021-02-02-git-2367affc2c-full_build\bin). There you will find all the .exe files you need.
  6. Select and Copy all 3 ff[xxxx].exe files (*you only need ffmpeg.exe and ffprobe.exe but it doesn't hurt to grab all three)
  7. Navigate to your PB directory i.e. Documents\PinballBrowser771
  8. Paste all ff[xxxx].exe files into that directory
  9. Restart PB, open a firmware, and go to the videos tab
  10. All should be well.

PB ffmpeg location (resized).pngPB ffmpeg location (resized).png
3 months later
#4526 2 years ago

I kinda can't believe I'm the one asking this question but... I recently was looking to change some more music for JP.

Quoted from jacksparrow0112:

Thanks for the recommendation. I haven’t edited or inserted any call outs yet. Just music.
I did find a setting called “Music Attenuation” in the game menu that seems to increase the music volume when set to a negative value. Can someone confirm what exactly the Music Attenuation is doing? Thanks much!

Quoted from Rensh:

This indeed lowers or increases the music volume compared with the rest. So exactly the setting you need to get it louder compared to the call outs.

Correct. + attenuation = "make this quieter", - attenuation = "make this louder" (in comparison to the other music/voice). I would err on the side of increasing the attenuation ever so slightly for what seems too loud in order to quiet it, as opposed to decreasing attenuation it to make it louder than the other. Then you just boost the overall game volume. I'm not sure what say +/- 1 amounts to in decibels. Seems crazy to me that you can set values like all the way to +/- 10-20 here. Would be nice to know the specifics in terms of volume / dB. Just be careful with those values I suppose.

From my experience, you need to try to match not only the level of the sound file you import, but also the frequency spectrum against the stock file you're swapping out. You can do this by exporting the stock sound/music you're replacing and comparing the sound by ear and looking at the waveforms, applying EQ and compression as needed. You also need to try to match the bit and sample rates and I don't recommend using .mp3s (which I know is difficult b/c unless you're exporting from a CD to get good sounding .WAV's, you're probably purchasing a digital copy which most vendors only provide .mp3s of). Music is difficult and sometimes your file just won't ever sound right since the game does appear to limit based on frequency, especially low end. If your music is boomy with low end, it's likely going to be quieter in game, so you need to filter some of that out in your DAW/audio editor. The sounds and music in general in these games appear to be maxed out and smashed to a level so high it's almost distorting. Hope this helps.

#4530 2 years ago

Still no luck. Tried to even swap out the fallout with the same mp3 music file that works elsewhere. I only hear 1.6 seconds of static. Any ideas? I’m not even sure how to restore the original call out at this point.

Quoted from cleland:

You would have to load the original SD image and export that sound and re-import it into your modified one.
This is why I always have two copies of an SD image. I keep the stock one, then duplicate it and work on the duplicate one, I can alway open the stock one.
You can also have two windows open side by side in Pinball Browser, stock and modified.
I would try opening the audio file you want in Audacity and saving it as a .wav 44.1khz file, then import into Pinball Browser.
PB is not the best at converting audio, especially compressed .mp3 files.

Yup basically what Cleland said. From my experience the replaced callouts need to be mono 44.1khz 32 bit (or 16 bit) .WAV. However, music is normally stereo 48khz 32 bit. Don't use mp3s and don't try to import a stereo file to a mono location or vice versa. Mp3s may sometimes work but you should use .WAVs with the same sample rate and bit depth as the exported stock sound. I'm not saying this is your issue for sure but as far as that working mp3 vs the other one that isn't, are they different when you look at their properties? Try cleland's idea of converting with audacity. Set your session type to 44.1khz and export as a 32 bit float .WAV in the export window (although know that when you're doing this you are "upsampling" a compressed file which can cause other artifacts and odd timing issues -- you should start with uncompressed WAV audio instead).

#4532 2 years ago

I’m not even sure how to restore the original call out at this point.

Open the stock code in PB, export the stock WAV file from the sound location in question, open your custom code in PB and import the file to that location.

#4534 2 years ago
Quoted from palacekeeper:

Okay thanks, that worked. There are almost 700 sounds listed and they don't have descriptive names, but with some patience I can find it .
Cleland's was in .gz but i was able to extract that with 7-zip. Thanks!

Quoted from swampfire:

palacekeeper I bookmarked at least 300 callouts and sounds in STH over the last few weeks. My goal is to get everything that’s in the game (or for the game, but not in it) bookmarked by July. There are a LOT of Aerosmith and GOTG sounds in the firmware so skipping over those can be tedious.

You should feel lucky in comparison to JP's 3852... I'm of course speaking to actual sound scripts not triggers. This post may help you in your efforts and understanding of what's going on in the background: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/23#post-5941835

1 week later
#4538 2 years ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

Hello, I'm trying to make sure that my Audacity export is as great as it can be before importing it into PB. The guide around formatting and such is 7 years old. Is there any updated information?
For example, when I pull down a Stern sound from my Star Wars, it's in stereo....so do I still need to mix my sound down to mono? Any other tips to get the best sound quality on newer games?

There really isn't a perfect set of guidelines. It varies game to game and sound to sound. I have posted a lot about this topic in this thread if you want to search for posts by me. To answer your immediate question, no don't convert a file you want to replace to mono if the stock sound is stereo. In general you want to match the attributes of the sound file you want to replace with those of the stock sound you exported. These two recent posts I made and the ones from other pinsiders that I quoted within may help.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/91#post-6269829
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/91#post-6279932

As far as Audacity itself there's a lot of help online if you google. Many videos out there show you how to leverage the Compressor and other plug ins as well as export options to match the fidelity of one sound to another.

1 week later
#4540 2 years ago
Quoted from Eight-BitBishop:

Hello there.
When I click on the link in the first post, nothing happens. A message appears that says, "Waiting for pinside.com", then stops.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

What link are you referring to exactly?

5 months later
#4621 2 years ago
Quoted from berg0319:

New to Pinball Browser. Tried to replace one sound request with a mono wave file, 24000Hz, and when I preview it in Pinball Browser it sounds perfect. After I import it, it is just straight static. Tried importing a dozen times, tried creating wav file with Audacity and Goldwave - all sound good on the preview but after I import they are just static. Anyone have any ideas on what could be the cause?

My only advice is to download and inspect the stock audio file you want to replace. Then make sure your custom audio file matches its same bit depth and sample rate. 24000Hz (aka 24kHz) seems like a red flag to your issue. That's an odd sample rate value in general for audio. Stern audio files are either 44.1khz or 48khz from my experience.

8 months later
#5052 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinfan99:

After installing Pinball Browser (full version) my friend who has worked in IT his whole life couldn’t get my AC/DC to play Shoot to Thrill instead of another song after altering the software. We followed what instructions we could find and I don’t want to spend a shit load of time on this and I have five rock ‘n’ roll Pins. If this guy can’t figure it out there’s no way I can, I’d be happy to pay somebody to modify my machines. Hate the song choices on some of these pins, especially Rolling Stones. I guess unless you’re a computer geek it’s too complicated for the average person or even a guy that works on software for defense companies. Frustrating as I want to change 3-4 songs on AC/DC, 6 songs on Rolling Stones, 5 songs on Kiss and 5 on Aerosmith. Anybody that would like to help me I’ll gladly pay you whatever you want. HELP!!!!

I understand your pain. But what you need to understand is that song/voice/FX etc. aka sound location HEXs are not named and there are likely thousands. So to replace anything the right way, you have to go through listening, cataloging, and bookmarking every single sound file in the game. Unless someone has done that work for you already via PBs share bookmarks function. Otherwise you and your friend are just cherry picking away at files you think should be replaced, hoping for the best result.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 28.00
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 64.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timlah79.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images?tu=timlah79 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.