1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Description of capabilities and download link. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #600 How to find the names of the lamp matrix locations. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #858 Video on how to replace a song. Posted by Underspin (10 years ago)

Post #1432 Macro function explained. Posted by oga83 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russo121.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#82 10 years ago

If there is no free memory available, how do we patch with a new image? Can we not delete the image that was there previously?

EDIT: How do we find exactly how much free memory is available? I got my images down to a mere 5kb and the 1.74 tron .bin just wouldnt accept even one of them....(error: free memory has already been used)

Quoted from oga83:

For raster-12 (mostly used for video), the new image is stored at the same place; so, there is no limitation in the number of images you can replace; for other types, the new image is stored in a free space (on AC/DC, you can replace around 5 images).

Ok, i now realise that you cant add extra compressed-7 images into Tron 1.74.bin. I will try on the video section shortly.

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

Has anybody else had their anti-virus software remove this app? My Symantec is identifying it at as a trojan virus SONAR.Heuristic.
It quarantines then removes the file.

Yes, but thats just a certain attribute your AV is flagging because its an unknown .exe. Its fine to use dont worry.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I did play around with some patching (with mixed results) some images looked skewed when I reopened a patched ROM, but I haven't tried flashing any of them on my game yet.

All images i try are like this on the patched ROM when i view them back in the browser. Perhaps because the browser will only let you upload .jpegs? When i try to upload any other format, it doesnt let me do so.

#106 10 years ago

You are a genius. Thankyou for your efforts. I will try the new version out right now.

#107 10 years ago

It works!!! (image is of patched ROM - no free memory on Tron, so replaced a few frames in the gem finger animation which was raster-0)

ruspatch1.jpegruspatch1.jpeg

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

What do you mean by "no free memory on Tron" ? Do you get this message for the first image you try to replace ?
Raster-0 has the same limitation than compressed images : it is not saved in-place (it could be, because the length is always the same, but I didn't do the conversion to this format).
Did you get an error at the end of the upgrade ?

What i mean is that i cant replace compressed-7 images (like the stern logo). When i try, i get an error message: Error-free memory has already been used) I understood your explanation to say you can only overwrite the raster images if there was no free space.

#114 10 years ago

Needs a way to delete some sections to fit more in for Tron. I made a pretty cool Gem animation and it would only let me upload just one picture frame. If i could upload multiple pics, i would use them as frames to replace the animations.

gemanim1.jpggemanim1.jpg

EDIT: I might be able to get a short version of the animation working, but i will have to reduce the quality quite a bit.

#116 10 years ago

As far as i'm aware you cant delete anything (really need to do that to make anything good) I could try overwriting the arcade video with this gem image by inserting one frame at a time. So, it would go like this:

Insert frame at beginning of arcade video sequence
>
patch firmware
>
Reload patched firmware
>
Insert next frame at next frame point in arcade video sequence
>
patch the patched firmware
>
etc...

A ball ache of tedium to do, but the only way i could see how to replace the animations. gem1.gifgem1.gif

If we could insert multiple images at every next frame point, then click on 'patch firmware' it could possibly work. When i try to do that it patches the firmware with the first image in the sequence only. The only way i thought to get the rest of the images in there was to patch the patched firmware, then patch the second patched firmware and so on until all the frames were loaded. Sadly, it would not let me load up more than one image that way.

#118 10 years ago

Just tried the new 1.45 and its still the same. I cannot load more than one image into the gem video sequence. It does appear that i can only load the images into raster-12 locations.

All images in the gem video sequence are raster-0. It does allow me to change just one image in that cluster of raster-0 images, but when i patch the firmware and reload it for playback, the image is not in the place i selected and is now a singular 'raster-12' image amongst the raster-0 images.

If i import an image then move onto the next frame and try to import another, the first image is forgotton and only the next selected image will appear.

I also tried repatching a patched ROM again, and still get the 'memory has already been used' error.

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

You can simplify this a lot : just choose the same file when you save your patched firmware (remove "-patched" in the suggested file name).
Be sure to make a backup of your original file.

I tried that and it still says memory already used.

#122 10 years ago

I can replace just one image but no more than that. I want to add multiple images, frame by frame.

I will upload my images if you wish to try them anyway. Cheers. Export-1FA827.1.jpgExport-1FA827.1.jpg Export-1FA827.2.jpgExport-1FA827.2.jpg Export-1FA827.3.jpgExport-1FA827.3.jpg Export-1FA827.4.jpgExport-1FA827.4.jpg Export-1FA827.5.jpgExport-1FA827.5.jpg Export-1FA827.6.jpgExport-1FA827.6.jpg

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

One aditional thing : the test is specific to TRN_174LE
The filename must be TRN_174LE.BIN

Ah, i c. I am using TRN_174.BIN for the pro (i dont have an LE). I will try with that, but i wont be able to try the modified rom on my pro machine. Will i?

#126 10 years ago

Not sure what you mean? The file i am trying to modify is: TRN_174.BIN

The image format of my gem images is .jpg (the only format the pinball browser will let me upload).

#129 10 years ago

It does work now, but only with raster-12 images. I can place a single image with a raster-0, but not a succesion of images. Why is this?

I have managed to get my little animation into the ROM, but its where the FLYNN sign sequence starts @ 0x832.

The modified ROM with the gem animation in it can be downloaded here (for the pro):
http://speedy.sh/FxJYe/TRN-174.bin

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

You did a nice animation !
I works on my side : I have replaced the 6 raster-0 images starting at 0x1fa8 with yours (see screen shot below).
How I did :
- rename TRN_174.BIN to TRN_174LE.BIN (with an underscore, not a dash)
- Select and analyse TRN_174LE.BIN
- load, patch 1st image, and save to the same file
- (no need to re-analyse the firmware in between)
- scroll 1 image right (0x1fab)
- load, patch 1st image, and save to the same file
- ... same process for all images
Again, if the filename is not TRN_174LE.BIN, you'll have a "no free memory" message.
[EDIT]Starting with version 1.46, the filename does not matter anymore; no need to rename it.

Awesome. I'm working on a much better animation for the gem finger sequence and this makes my life a lot easier. Thanks.

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Can you upload this modified rom for us to try? The one Russo121 modified is giving me a crc error and won't load. Perhaps the way you inserted the frames overwriting the other frames will be succesful.

Are you loading the rom into the pinball browser or into a real machine? It works fine in the 1.46 browser as well as 1.45 for me. I will redo the animation like oga mentions so it will hopefully be in the right place.

#149 10 years ago

Here is the ROM with the gem animation replacing the finger animation in the correct place this time. Works for me with the new and old browsers but not yet tried in my machine.:

http://speedy.sh/AMwZh/TRN-174.bin sternruss1.gifsternruss1.gif

I just realised i can replace the compressed-7 image where the stern logo is on the Tron ROM. WOOHOO!!!

#151 10 years ago

Not so sure on spiderman as i havent played it in ages. There sure is a massive amount of space to make something cool for it though i'm sure.

My mind is in overdrive with this right now....

#153 10 years ago

The full animation i made was 21 frames so as to fully cover the 21 frames of the the old finger animation. I just send 6 or so to oga for him to test.

You can also replace the Stern logo now, but i left my named logo out of the ROM i posted.

I too am curious to load it in my game but quite scared to do so for some reason? Are you?

#179 10 years ago

Loads of audio in Tron thats not used too. Combo callouts a plenty along with lots of unusual noises/effects as well as LOTS of alternative sexy female robot voice audio.

Audio is almost there, just a tiny bit slow as others have mentioned.

This could mean that i could actually play a game of Xmen without cringing at the voice callouts. Awesome bit of software!

#180 10 years ago

Just tried v1.51. Much improvement. Some sounds are a little fast but most sound just right to me.

#250 10 years ago

Great work dug. I suspect the images would look better if there was some removal of the background of each female image. The places you want dark on the dmd, use the eraser tool and it may look better? Who knows? But i'm going to be having a LOT of fun with this program.

#268 10 years ago

GIMP 2.8 for image editing (free. Laid out like photoshop)

http://www.gimp.org/

2 weeks later
#408 10 years ago

Can you not just remove the entire background of the image (hence creating an image with a transparent background) before re-importing?

I noticed when i re-did the gem finger animation that the entire sequence was actually a transparency and when displayed on my machine, there was some 'Follow Gem' text in the transparent part. The gem animation i did also had a cloudy background which i thought could be made better by removing the black backround entirely. I then had this thought:

If i remove the background of an image that is supposed to have a transparency, will the game display unwanted items in the background of my imported images?

Still yet to find this out, but thought i would chime in on this transparency thing.

1 week later
#493 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

So if anyone has any suggestions of a Stern SAM game that has a female "shoot again" callout I would appreciate it.

I dont know of another SAM game, but TOTAN has the 'shoot again' female voice that sounds almost identical to the Tron version. Perhaps using the audio from WPC could work there?

One question i do have, is: Can i make the audio of any perticular track obnoxiously louder than every other on the machine?

What i mean here is that i want to make the the 'Derezzed' tune in Tron mega loud so that when quorra MB starts, it basically scares the crap out of the player.

1 month later
#686 10 years ago

Another suggestion for adding to this software could be the ability to colour the frames individually by hand. Of course, i have no idea how hard this would be to implement but would be super cool to be able to make colour images from new stern machines image output. With advancements in dmd replacements such as lcd screens would make this the ultimate Stern mod +1.

1 month later
#760 10 years ago

I really like your tron rework cmproductions. It is almost perfect when fitting the theme of Tron. The gem tune replacement is fantastic.

There seems to be a lot of melodic ambience (as in the film) but I think the pin needs more aggressive tunes to mirror the superfast gameplay and add to the heartrate of the player.

Perhaps by using some early daft punk? Brainwasher, Television rules the nation, Human after all and their remixes spring to mind.

#762 10 years ago

After watching your vid, I set about looking for suitable tunes for Tron. Then, I stopped dead in my tracks to listen to this masterpiece from the game 'Hotline miami'.

3 weeks later
#825 10 years ago

Did Lyman ask how the song replacement was achieved? More importantly did he care?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russo121.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images?tu=russo121 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.