5 (resized).png
4 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Description of capabilities and download link. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #600 How to find the names of the lamp matrix locations. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #858 Video on how to replace a song. Posted by Underspin (10 years ago)

Post #1432 Macro function explained. Posted by oga83 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2843 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I've done this as well for my metallica (this is a change to the stern logo that scrolls upward during the attract mode
[quoted image]

And it looks badass on mine! Thanks j_m_! Finally got everything installed on the weekend. Thinking about switching to a PIN2DMD though as I’m not happy with the contrast on the LCD I pulled from an old laptop.

The idea of band names in the guitar pics is a neat idea.

#2846 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I may go back and do a splash screen with sparky too. just to see how it looks
personally, I think that this is a feature that stern hasn't capitalized on (much like how many of the smaller film houses mess around with warner bros. or columbia pictures logos at the start of movies. the matrix and constantine come to mind

Dreamworks does a good job with this too. I understand why these can't be added to ColorDMD displays but they sure are cool. I haven't dug into swapping scenes yet, but I keep thinking there could be a better experience to the radio dial when selecting songs like displaying titles graphically rather than just text... clearly I have no idea what the complexity involved to undertake such an effort but I really should dig in and figure it out... it just every time I get in front of my MET I want to play it, not tinker with it

2 months later
#2908 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

good new, bad news time
first the good news
I've been able to correct my macro and it now successfully compiles without any errors on my end
now, the bad news
due to the changes (additions) to the v1.80 code, there is not enough free memory to run my entire macro
free memory -> free memory after extending it
1304198 -> 3,282,352
6987 images
5053 sounds
1874 messages
203 adjustments
16 high scores
free memory -> free memory after extending it
1289030 -> 3,143,456
6992 images
5076 sounds
2104 messages
208 adjustments
16 high scores
my thought is that you could probably eliminate either all of the cross shaped tombstone animations or the rounded tombstone ones and that should be enough to allow it to successfully compile

I like your plan... I'm fine with dumping the rounded tombstones I had my game on that for a while just to see the extra work you did but changed back to the crosses just before the new code dropped.

1 month later
#2948 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Pb is a great tool for pinball customizations but colorizing an entire Sam game is next to impossible since the color data will fill up availabile memory in the rom. Would you rather spend 6 months colorizing your game and getting some of the game colorized or drop in a colordmd and have the entire game already colorized to enjoy now? I guess if you want to do it for fun go for it. I know what I would do.

SMVE has already been colourized so PIN2DMD is an option for it if you can get the files.

4 weeks later
#3012 5 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Is anyone having trouble with pin2dmd colorization of Met v1.80 code? I have all the settings saved as before - side channel, serial connection, but when I load v1.80 code the pin2dmd will only display the "default" palette. It cannot change color palettes. Has anyone else seen this problem and found a fix?

Was it working before/does the previous code work?

I was struggling getting it working with a new PIN2DMD but it turned out I had a bad MAX232 chip on mine so it was a hardware issue not a software issue.

#3014 5 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Yes and no - I had the 1.70 code working perfectly on my old MET I sold several months ago. That one sold with my old pin2dmd installed. I just acquired a new MET last week, with newer pin2dmd, and the 1.70 code works partially. Some screens changes palettes perfectly (like the snake, coffin ball lock, MET letters, Sparky, and many others). Others (like the main score numbers, lady justice, etc.) do not correctly change palettes. They simply use the last palette loaded. When I update to 1.80 code, it will not change a single palette - it only uses the "default" palette.
Do you think this could be a hardware issue? And if so, why is it working SOME of the time? Thanks for your help.

Based on the trouble shooting lucky1 did with me I'd say it isn't hardware related... in my case we were able to determine that the PIN2DMD was not receiving any serial data at all... he was a great help getting me up and going, I'd recommend reaching out to him. Other trouble shooting steps we took included connecting the serial cable from the MET to my PC to capture the stream of data coming from the MET, he was able to look at that stream to confirm that right data was being sent to the PIN2DMD. We then were able to put some debug code on the PIN2DMD to confirm that the serial data simply wasn't making it there and it was an easy fix from there... swap the MAX232. Some more trouble shooting will need to be done for your issue I think.

#3021 5 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

OK, thank you. Just curious - did you do this work on a Metallica with 1.80 code, or a different game?

It is the MET 1.8 Code and it looks fine, don't see

Quoted from tjc02002:

Roar: Are you using a nucleo or the older STM? Do you use a shield from uncle sash or german gaming(or latest EVO board)? Are you running MET 1.8?. Thank you very much for the info. I built the setup that is running in dmiezko's MET using uncle sashs shield/nucleo board. I also build the previous one he was running successfully in his MET years ago.

Older STM board built by Unclesash back in 2017... bought from a local pinhead who bought a lot of them from Unclesash. I am running MET 1.8 code with it. It was a bad MAX232 that was the root of my problems.

1 week later
#3039 5 years ago
Quoted from oppolo:

Can’t connect via serial connection on my ACDC premium vault.
I patched and loaded the Stern 170 code. I am using a serial to usb cable that shows up in device manager is working. Using the Com5 port on my laptop with pinball browser I can’t communicate.
Any ideas?

You using a cross-over cable or straight through?

1 week later
#3046 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

messing around a bit and designed a new splash logo screen for MET
[quoted image]

Looks pretty awesome! It fits in the 1.80 code too? I thought it was pretty packed?

1 year later
#3662 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

This looks deliberate on Sterns part, especially the fact there is no QUICK update option on the 1.01 install...I though all .spk files I used in the past gave the option, this one is FULL only... So it's forcing a full overwrite

I'm really sure Quick was there for me... Pro anyway.

3 months later
#3903 3 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you’re saying more clearly now.
Guess I’ll have to learn how to use macros better now. I had problems with using macros back when I was working on Ghostbusters mixes. Time to dive back in...
Once again, bravo for breaking the Stern code barricade!

It will be more than Macro's needed though... you'll need the assets to go along with them? Are we alright to share those? It is just the sharing of the compiled BIN file that can't and should never have been done?

#3914 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Playing a macro requires much less skill as making the changes.
Biggest problem here I think is that when a macro let’s say changes out a song. The macro is than told to look in a certain folder for a file-song called ..... In order to play the macro correctly you should have in a same folder the same named file-song.
Legally I understand this fully (you should own the IP material) but having this work in practice can be a challenge I am afraid of.
Or am I missing something?

Quoted from delt31:

OK - so I would give out the .pbm file to someone and they open pinball browser on their end along with original fw and apply the pbm like a patch in prinbrowser on their end? This would require them to understand how to use and install PB right?

As noted above beyond the .pbl file you need all the assets... images, video, audio that go along with the changes. So a zip file containing the .dat and .pbm and all the assets in their correct folder will be required along with a licensed copy of PBBrowser. These requirements will put these updates well outside the average users skill level for sure.

What happens if I've stored all the assets on my E: drive rather than the C: drive for example, I'm guessing the path to the assets can be updated in the .dat file? Or is the .dat file not human readable and you'd need to use pbbrowser to edit the path of every. file?

#3955 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

From experience, that would be great!
I’m still a little confused on the sharing of this.....so using the macro method, if I were to share doing it that way and generating that file, would the user who I share it with have to have the same songs/clips I’ve embedded on their pc as well along with the he same location like the previous user mentioned? is that really true?

I'm curious to hear the answer from oga83 too. But it has to be true by... doesn't it? Where else would your computer get the song/clips to be embedded? The macro just points to them as I can't imagine the macro contains them. The macro's would be gigantic if that were the case and then that would suggest there is more going on in that file than it just being a macro.

The way I have this in my mind is if people are distributing a BIN file that contains unlicensed 3rd party IP then Stern can get in trouble because that BIN file is Stern property in the sense that they built the container and are accountable for what is inside of it and I suppose more importantly what isn't inside it. So Stern steps in and starts to make an effort to stop people from distributing their BIN file with unlicensed 3rd party IP in it. I don't really get how they can bury their head in the sand knowing that their BIN's can still be injected with unlicensed 3rd party IP but I guess they've drawn the line at as long it isn't distributed inside their BIN their hands are clean?

3 months later
#4204 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

To clarify, I don't intend to run PB on more than a single computer.
However I do find inconvenient to bind the licence to a specific HW. All modern SW have some kind of floating licence which allows the licence to be transferred.
My notebook is more than 4 years old, and while it's working fine for now, chances are that it won't last much longer (this is my office laptop, and it's being carried all over the place). From what I understand, should my notebook fail, I would have to buy a new licence for my new computer, is this correct?
Regards

I believe I’ve switched computers for PB Browser in the past and just reached out to oga83 and gotten a new license key... I assume the old one was just deactivated.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 45.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
White Oak, PA
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images?tu=roar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.