1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Description of capabilities and download link. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #600 How to find the names of the lamp matrix locations. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #858 Video on how to replace a song. Posted by Underspin (10 years ago)

Post #1432 Macro function explained. Posted by oga83 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2928 5 years ago
Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Definitely not running it from the zip file. Haven’t modified the write protection on the XML file, but I’ll double check. I placed the unzipped folded under Program Files dir.

Move it out of program files, or you will have to run PB as admin. Programs can not automatically write to the Program Files directories

#2929 5 years ago
Quoted from choseh:

Hey everyone, new to the customization party. I want to replace the main song in my Road Show with another version. Is replacing sounds behind the paywall, or am I missing something in version 6.6?

Replacing music is supported for various Stern platforms but not WPC unfortunately. You can get a Pinsound board and replace whatever you like however.

#2931 5 years ago
Quoted from choseh:

Aren't there any other tools that allow repacking of WPC roms? shouldn't bet too much of an issue(?)

Not that I’m aware of. Do you know how incredibly hard that would be? It’s not like anyone has the source code for these games to recompile them. That’s why pinsound was such a major release

#2935 5 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Messed around with Audacity some....tried to import song with volume cranked up to MAX and still same low volume level.
Seems no matter what I do the volume is too low and unchanged.
Damn it Bobby, this software.....

You will probably need to compress the hell out of the song in Audacity. Most (all?) Of the Stern pins use pretty crappy quality MP3s as their source, and they super compress them. Your audio files (I assume ripped from a CD or iTunes) probably has a lot more dynamic range to it, which will sound like its at an overall lower volume. Apply compression (or a limiter) In audacity and crank it way up. Then try Pinball Browser. It’s not the software.

#2941 5 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

A sample song pulled from my new Primus pinball. Has the upgraded Kenwood stereo system and Stern Spike Controller.
You can see the Left and Right channels are not the same, especially 3/4 way through the song it is visible.
Note that my rate is 44100Hz and it is true stereo right from Stern.
So, I would assume that this is OK to import similar specs of a file.
I think my original files were .WAV and not MP3 as well.
So, why you guys keep saying in videos and here to make sound mono in Audicity and make rate 22050?
That's not what I see in my game's original SD card.

[quoted image]

I believe these recommendations were for older games
Like AC/DC. You are talking about a brand new game. Glad
To hear it works in stereo!

#2951 5 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

I could use some help!
I work with audio daily so I'm up to speed, but having trouble. Working on the new Kiss code, I've altered all my new songs in protools to fit the song lengths that are specified. My files are 16/44.1 and import and playback correctly on the Browser software. When I load the game up.....it cuts all the songs short, some it cuts 20 sec off another it cuts a minute off. Yes, triple checked all the time lengths and all that, certainly can't be off by a minute. So.... am I exporting the session incorrectly? Or is it a Stern issue? Or?
Thanks!

I’m not familiar with KISS specifically, but some games appear to have the songs listed twice - there’s a longer one that you probably replaced, and there are shorter clips which are made to loop. You may want to verify whether the songs appear in 2 places

#2957 5 years ago

Kiss is not coded to loop certain sections of songs.....I have worked on other games that definitely do that. On Kiss you can start a game, select a song, and then do nothing.... the song will play in its entirety. It will play the full length of time listed in the browser, when I replace the stock track, it will not. I will gladly send someone some edited kiss tracks to try.

Pretty weird. Maybe there's a checksum situation in effect here. The song you're replacing somehow is being calculated to play a few seconds shorter. Are the stock music files in stereo or mono?

#2964 5 years ago

Here's the Definetive test I did to ease people's minds about the tracks I was importing.
I EXPORTED an original track from the KISS SD card with a runtime of 4:07.470, then it loops.
Then, I IMPORTED that SAME track as a 16/44.1 wav file like browser says.
Loaded the code into Spike and the track now plays for only 2:58 before it loops.
My opinion is that there is a problem with the conversion in browser.
P.S. I sound like a dick in some of these posts, I swear I'm not, I'm hyper critical of audio and just trying to figure things out.

Does it consistently play only 2:58 ? And when you read the file back from the card, is it the entire file ? (I.e. does it playback the full 4:07 when you play it in vlcplayer or whatever?)

6 months later
#3193 4 years ago
Quoted from mjruser:

Certainly, if time and money were no option, but as of right now its not a feature. There is a lot of code that's burnt into the ROM's that cannot be changed it would seem.
Mike

Spike 2 games are read from an SDCard, which is far easier to modify than an actual EEPROM (like a WMS game, say). So it's possible, just not quick

7 months later
#3391 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The law is bad and needs to go but until it does practically any ‘unauthorized’ access is illegal.
The Computer Fraud and Abuse act is so vague that “whoever... intentionally accesses a computer...exceeds authorized access, and thereby obtains... information from any protected computer” is in violation.
It’s a horrible law. It was used to hound Aaron Swartz to the point of suicide for accessing free information in a systematic way and imprison Weev for automating typing URLs in an unauthorized manner.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1030
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weev

Although I agree the DCMA and CFA are awful laws written by individuals who have almost no understanding of computers and the internet... to assign blame for the Swartz and Weev cases is at best, inaccurate and misleading.

Swartz was charged with breaking and entering, and illegally using the MIT network, and Weev irresponsibly (though it could not be proven intentionally) Doxed 100,000 AT&T users when trying to show off in a security vulnerability that he later confessed to not even being part of (other people in his group actually identified it).

Swartz' suicide was extremely unfortunate, but he still shouldn't have been doing what he was doing *in the way he did it*. He wouldn't have been able to have been charged had he hooked up his own device and hidden it (showing intent). Weev is just a nuisance on the internet, not to mention a racist scumbag.

Anyway, the recent right to repair cases against John Deere & Co. will be decided soon, making this whole argument moot.

3 weeks later
#3519 3 years ago

Has anyone tried using a MicroSD card with an adapter in a Spike2 game? I have a ton of those around, but can't find a standard size SD card.

#3527 3 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

Yes i have this setup. I haven't seen any differnence. On munsters with an 8GB SD image i am using a 16GB MicroSD card. Of course the speed settings of the Card should be good.

Thank you for the confirmation! There's my other problem - I think some of my cards are the super cheap ones which use compression, so I'll have to test them out.

#3553 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks very much. If I replace the track, what happens if the replacement track is longer? As this track fades out, will it matter?

I’m a novice at this too, but I believe a recent changelog confirmed that PinballBrowser automatically trims the track, so it will just cut off

2 weeks later
#3746 3 years ago
Quoted from modsbox:

Is there a simple fix for a license issue? I donated $20 on Feb 3 and registered version 6.65 I believe. Today I downloaded 7.03 separately, rather than following the upgrade flow in the 6.65 version, and now neither thinks I am licensed. If I open it and hit register on the 'If you already have a license, just click here' it says 'No license file found on this machine' even though the Pinball Browser .xml file clearly shows my license string in it.
No worries, I thought, I'll just close the dialog box and hit License and put in the information again. Interestingly when that dialog opens the Token Id, License Key and the right Contrubtor Name are all populated, along with my registered email address. But when I hit register it says 'No license found.'
Not sure what I did wrong but some advice would be great. I'm a little bummed that I just donated 2.5 months ago and now can't use either the original version or the new one.

Just email oga83 - he responds fast

2 weeks later
#3786 3 years ago

Your cable needs to cross over the connections internally, or you can make yourself or buy an adapter:
the one you posted from USB to RS-232 also needs to cross over the pins. You can use the gender changer as one side to make one

nullmodempinout (resized).pngnullmodempinout (resized).png
1 week later
#3798 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan2000:

I can confirm too
Size of Elvira SD card is 16GB, which is too much, and that's why PB can't open it
Or perhaps that's because of Stern's encryption

I believe as posted earlier in the thread - the encryption is definitely a problem. Stern apparently keeps changing it. I guess I'm willing to wait until Elvira is done with code - I've got a few music changes I want to make. And one day maybe change out video assets! At least when the code is final the encryption won't keep changing.

1 month later
#3865 3 years ago

Hey Olliver, can I send you a donation or a tip for continuing to work on PB Browser? I know Stern is making this really frustrating to work on since they keep changing the encryption.

1 week later
#3874 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Sorry for keeping you waiting !
As you all know, the most recent version of Pinball Browser had been blocked from working with the latest firmware releases.
Blocking Pinball Browser ended up being a good thing because it gave me the time to focus on a new feature: A Spike animation browser/editor !
This new feature took some additional time to develop (which explains the delay).
[quoted image]
Sounds
I've begun to work on the changes to the sounds functionality when Stranger Things v0.96 was released a few days ago.
An entropy analysis has been implemented to locate the sounds and, as most of them don't change from one version to another, it's not that complicated to decode them.
I've tested it with the latest firmwares (but I did not test it with the ones that were released in between).
One last note about this: The reason that Pinball Browser ended up getting blocked was initially triggered by a company that had been advertising and selling sound packs for games, using Pinball Browser!
As you know, I've always been totally against ANY firmware sharing or selling, as these firmwares may coontain copyrighted materials.
This is no longer a suggestion: This is now a condition for using Pinball Browser.
I'm sorry I have to come to this, but ANYONE breaking this rule will be banned from using PB (and his or her license will be immediately de-activated).
So, what's new in PB v7.50 ?
- Several fixes have been implemented (WPT1400a sounds, WWE 1.35 videos, linefeeds in messages, ...)
- It works with the latest Spike firmware revisions
- Opening a firmware is faster (on my PC, Stranger Things opens in les than 10s compared to 45s with the previous version). But some firmwares (like Elvira) still takes some time to open.
- An animation (scene) browser/editor has been added
What can we do with the new scene browser ?
- Render (almost) all animations
- Modify all the texts, colors, images and videos that are used in scenes
- Modify tranformation matrix that are used to render the scenes. You can even apply tranlations/rotations/scaling on a series of frames.
- View/replace videos that were not accessible before
- Extract the names to automatically bookmarks the videos
Some examples are better than explanations :
1- Open Stranger Things v0.96, go the the scene tab to view the scene tree
- Click on the Sync button to get some online bookmarks.
You'll see that each scene is composed of 2 subtrees : "Animation" and "All members".
"Animations" contains the scene tree. "All Members" is a list of all scene "leafs"; it helps when you're looking for a specific text or animation. Most of the time, you'll work on the Animation "tree".
- Select scene #12 (Game Over)
[quoted image]
- Right-click on the scene, and select "Render" (or just double-click on the scene name).
You'll get the following video :
[quoted image]
This video file is now stored in the Pinball Browser directory.
You can also render all the animations at once (it takes time!) and view the videos one by one afterward.
2- Now, let's say that you want to add a spinning effect to this animation:
- For each TextBox2 object, select the first Transform Matrix, right-click and select "Apply transformation...".
- Enable translation, enable rotation and enter the 2 angles : from=0° and to=360°
Here is the result !
[quoted image]
3- You can also replace images.
For example, in Iron Maiden, you can now change the song names.
[quoted image]
- Open, IM v1.06, select the scene #3, "All Members"
[quoted image]
- Double-click on the images to locate the one you want to replace and import a new image. Make sure you use a transparent background.
[quoted image]
Thank you all again for your support.
I do this for the love of the game, and it really means a lot to see all of your support.
Have fun !

Ollie this is a ridiculous update! Very impressive

#3943 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Man chill out, I said it was like paying tax at a drug deal. There is a reason it doesn’t include certain software and users have to get it themselves. I supported him and bought a license I didn’t know that meant I was only allowed to give positive feedback. Just do yourself a favour and hit ignore.

Really hard to understand why you’re getting so pissed off about this. Throwing wild inaccurate accusations around? Pointing fingers? So are you one of the users who is selling prepackaged updates? Stern has a responsibility as a licensee to protect that license. Looking the other way while a vendor makes money while subverting the license, violates the license. So stern took steps. Maybe chill out and says thanks to Olli who does a TON of work on this software so we can all have the opportunity to mod out games the way we want. We cant do thAt on JJP games yet, and doing it on WPC is a PITA.

#3948 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Can you guys just PM me if you feel the need, how about we let the people actually trying to get help have a little attention.

Hm, downshift from your original accusations. Ok. Cool, NP. That’s a good choice.

2 weeks later
#4041 3 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Where is this folder? I've got the Win64 ffmpeg exes. The only folder I can find is under my users/applications/crossover and I put them in there and nothing changed.

Wherever your pinball browser .exe file is sitting. Probably wherever you downloaded it to

3 months later
#4219 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Is there a way to pay for 1 license for 2 machines? I frequently work from 2 machines (home and at the office) and I have no way to move 1 machine back and forth (both are desktops)

Currently, you have to email Ollie. He's super responsive, I have to do this occasionally, and he usually responds within an hour or two.

#4229 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Yes, but so far no luck.
My entropy analyser no longer works with the new firmwares.

Not sure about this.
Pinball Browser has been here, and publicly known, for more than 7 years.
They have accepted it for all this time and now, out of the blue, they are trying to block it ?
Yet, they have been working with licenses all this time...

Perhaps someone called them on it. Or it's part of a specifically named legal agreement with some big licensor. Either way, it sucks.

1 week later
#4239 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Is there no copy/paste function?
I colored this Phoenix frame
[quoted image]
and the 4 frames after it are exactly the same except for the belt and phoenix in the background. I wanted to just copy the body from the neck down then paste it on the next one. coloring the hair and belt and bird would take 3 seconds.
Since I cant copy paste a section I thought maybe I could export the frame, do the work in photoshop, then import. But import/export puts everything in grey scale.
[quoted image]
Im not even sure if this is gonna work because of the warning that pops up when applying a palette and the fact the frame isnt 128x32 but the copy/pasta issue remains. It would be a HUUUUGGGGEEEEEEE time save with a lot of animations where someone in a static pose flies by a background (like Rogue) or a static image with an overlay, like Omega Red.
Other issue, Im running out of free memory just by applying palettes to frames (no dot changing)
[quoted image]
get like 15 done then BAM!
[quoted image]
is there a way to free up space? I have a metric fuck ton left to color still.

Is that error referring to RAM or some sort of temp space used on the SDCard?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 8.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
6,350 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods
Protection
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Folsom, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.