5 (resized).png
4 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Description of capabilities and download link. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #600 How to find the names of the lamp matrix locations. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #858 Video on how to replace a song. Posted by Underspin (10 years ago)

Post #1432 Macro function explained. Posted by oga83 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider napoleon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3936 3 years ago

It's sad that Olivier works so hard on this tool, then has to endure jackass trolls on Pinside that try to shit on him.

Keep up the good work, Olivier! The vast majority of us appreciate your work and have you back!

#4012 3 years ago

I've noticed that the sound volume seems very low when importing a new sound file into the Turtles game. It seems loud enough when you play it in the Pinball Browser, but in the game it's very muted. I've increased the sound to 200%, and not much change. Jacking it up any higher than 200%, and you start getting distortion.

I have the same problem wether I make the shortened clip myself, or if I edited the clip directly in Pinball Browser.

A couple other people I've been talking to regarding Turtles have had the same issue.

#4029 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

No worries !
I didn't have time to investigate on this anyway.
Anyway, it should work with Etcher.

I always use Etcher. Works great!

3 weeks later
#4054 3 years ago

I've never had any issues with Etcher.

1 week later
#4068 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

I've actually had multiple issues with Etcher and have only started using it in the past month but have flashed a number of different SDs within that time. Mostly success but sometimes not. These are the issues I've faced and what I've done to overcome them. All of these descriptions are based on flashing a .raw Stern code (customized or not). I am using an external SD card USB reader BTW which could be compounding my problems. Or much of this could be faulty SDs but all of the ones I'm using are brand new. I do think overall there is a reliability issue with the Etcher software:
Reader I'm using: amazon.com link »
SD cards I'm using: amazon.com link »
In any case, I hope this helps anyone facing similar issues:
1. Open etcher, select .raw file, then going to choose the drive/SD to flash to.
Issue: Drive/SD isn't an option (even though it is mounted and readable by my PC)
Solution: Remove SD and/or reader and plug back in or sometimes a full PC restart resolves.
2. Open etcher, select .raw file, choose the drive/SD to flash to, click Start.
Issue: Immediate "unknown error"
Solution: Restart PC and try again (no clue why this resolves the issue, possibly some cached memory problem that Etcher introduced during the previous flash)
3. Open etcher, select .raw file, choose the drive/SD to flash to, click Start, click yes for the resulting Allow prompt
Issue: Ether flashing progress starts as expected but nearing the end it displays an unknown error.
Solution: Re-format the SD and try again.
4. Etcher reports its successfully flashed with verification success. Load the flashed SD into my pin (Stern JP2) and boot up
Issue: JP2 just hangs, black screen on the DMD. All red lights on the board behind the backglass lit, nothing "blinking"
Solution: Re-format the SD and try again.

Etcher is a cross-platform utility. You didn't mention which OS you are using. I'm using Etcher on the macOS. No issues with that tool.

#4073 3 years ago

Sounds like there may have been some issues with the Windows build, but Etcher is updated quite often. I'm sure it will be fixed. You could help by submitting bug reports.

Burning from Pinball Browser is not possible for me, because I use a Mac and have to go to virtualization to use Pinball Browser Unfortunately, the internal SD card reader is not on the USB bus, so can't be transferred into the VM like a Jump Drive or other USB device. I do my editing in the VM, then copy the image back to the host (Mac) and burn with Etcher. No issues with this process if someone reading this is also on a Mac.

#4091 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

That would be a good explanation why people are having problems using an external flasher program like etcher.
On Windows and WinDiskImager, the image won't open when it's still in use in Pinball Browser but that might not be the case on other platforms or flasher programs.

Agreed. This is the most likely reason people are having issues with Etcher on Windows.

Since I have to copy the image file out of the Windows VM and onto the host Mac to flash, I would never encounter this problem.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#4134 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

But Windows 10 comes pre-installed with .NET Framework 4.8... I don't see how to get rid of it an revert to 4.0. Do you know how to do this?

You don't get rid of it. I believe 4.0 or higher is what Oga83 means.

2 weeks later
#4194 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Folks on the JP video mod thread are having more success with "Win32DiskImager" on Windows PCs. (Stern's website still talks about using BalenaEtcher but a number of people have had less success, more failures with that tool. Stern's suggestion: https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/How-to-Create-a-SD-Card-for-a-SPIKE-System-Pinball-Machine.pdf )

Stern's website talking about flashing their stock images you download from them. In this case, Etcher works correctly. When you start modifying images with Pinball Browser, that's where Etcher can have issues (for whatever reason, no one knows). In cases where modified images are giving Etcher fits, Win32DiskImager or just the Pinball Browser software itself can successfully flash the card.

3 weeks later
#4206 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Is there ever going to be a version of PB that works on a MAC without having to dick around with all the BS ancillary software like crossover etc..?
I’ve never been able to get mine working right.

Probably not. I will point out that VMWARE Fusion 12 is now free! Grab it and get a copy of Windows from a buddy and you'll be in business.

3 weeks later
#4261 3 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

oga83 Thank you for your continued updates.
I've always been able to run Pinball Browser on my Mac using Crossover. I am getting this pop up when trying to run 7.6.
Is this something that can be fixed?[quoted image]

Have you updated your Mac to Big Sur? It may require an update from Crossover.

2 weeks later
#4306 3 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

One, I’d bet the number of Mac users among Pinball owners is significantly higher than that for socio-economic reasons. Two, even if it’s “just” 15%, how many other ways can you increase the sales of your software by 15% (or more)? These days I doubt it’s 15% more work to port to a UI that can handle both, and I can’t help but wonder if support issues aren’t going to just cancel out the folks who are having problems trying to run it under emulation/vm/whatever on a Mac now.
—Donnie

Nailed it 100%

#4308 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Fact Check: Apple computers make up less than 15% of market share, which is why many developers don’t write to the platform.

Fact check:

Apple market cap is 500 billion (billion with a "B" junior) higher than Microsoft's. I know a lot of you fanbois still think it's the 90's and you haven't adjusted to the new reality. The Mac's market share continues to grow, as Windows becomes the stagnant old man of tech. Ignoring that base is not wise. Having Macs in an enterprise environment, once relegated to marketing departments, is no longer an issue. Younger CEOs insist on using a Mac now. I watched this change within more than one large company of the last few years. If you had told me this 20 years ago, I would have laughed. The schools are even more predominately Apple than they even have been at any point in the past. Kids that grow up using iPads will buy Macs later in life. Nothing is going to save Windows at this point. They are too stuck in the traditional Wintel desktop model, which is slowly dying. Their future heavily rests on their cloud services, which are becoming less and less reliant on Windows. That does not bode well for the continued high market share of Windows.

Development tools aren't what they used to be in the 90's either. Cross platform development is relatively easy, especially with tools like Xojo, which can have one code base and spit out native binaries for Mac, Linux, and Windows.

To sum it up, it's not 1997 anymore, Virginia. It's more than fair for customers to ask about Mac native versions. They may not get it, but it's not absurd to ask.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
HurryUpPinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
$ 119.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider napoleon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images?tu=napoleon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.