20210121_135437 (resized).jpg
LZ0_93 (resized).png
ST1.02.png
pasted_image (resized).png
santa (resized).png
pb (resized).png
pb (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Description of capabilities and download link. Posted by oga83 (8 years ago)

Post #600 How to find the names of the lamp matrix locations. Posted by oga83 (8 years ago)

Post #858 Video on how to replace a song. Posted by Underspin (8 years ago)

Post #1432 Macro function explained. Posted by oga83 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#559 8 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

not anymore its not 2013 dmca

That doesn't make it illegal. It just means its not in the dmca. There's also no law that calls out that I can go to Safeway on Tuesdays. That doesn't make it illegal to shop on Tuesdays.

5 months later
#916 7 years ago
Quoted from NOB:

Just FYI: I changed a song on my Tron pro (1.74) and didn't get an error (all highscores and settings lost).

This seems impossible. The change of any data breaks the crc on the image. There will always be an error after flashing as the crc won't validate. You sure you even programmed the right fw?

1 week later
#935 7 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I just did my METLE with this (I kept getting the error 8 message but as someone above said, that is ok). I am running into a problem though:
I only changed out 2 songs - audibly and the titles. I loaded my new code in and everything worked - the songs and their titles are there.
MY PROBLEM: the voice callouts are super quiet everywhere now?? Any ideas? My Voice setting is at 50 (should be high enough???
Thanks for the help
Kyle

The problem is you set your voice setting to 50. That's attenuating it 50. -50 would have increased it

#940 7 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Whatever song you put in with pinball browser will act exactly like the song did that was originally in that spot. If the original song starts 5.23 seconds into the original song clip....the replacement song will start 5.23 seconds into the replacement song clip. Without knowing what game you are talking about, what song you are talking about, where the song was replaced in the ROM and under what circumstance it is playing in the game......it's pretty much impossible to tell.
I see you mention MET LE above. I have added songs to Metallica without issue. The game behaves just as it did with the original songs...except they are different songs. Ex: When you are selecting a song before you plunge the ball. The original songs when selecting do not start from the beginning....so if you replace a song, it will also not start at the beginning. It will start at the exact same time into the song that the original song did. I hope this helps explain.

Perhaps you injected it at a point that starts mid song rather than at start? Each song seems to have multiple injection points.

1 month later
#1063 7 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I would like to make the music a little louder than the sound effects.
What should I set the music/sound volumes to for best results?

In the game settings its trial and error. Try -25 and see. But it might be better to increase the volume 3 db or so at a time in the sound editor before building the rom.

2 weeks later
#1109 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

OK, obviously these are not legitimate answers. Norton comes FREE with my Comcast internet, so I have no other motivation to look for another virus scanner.

Norton is really crappy protection. So the fact that its free isn't a benefit. Avg free is actually a bit better.

Quoted from Cheeks:

Am I supposed to believe that Pinball Browser doesn't work on computers with Norton? Not sure I see myself going through the hassle of uninstalling / re-installing alternate virus software just to run one program.

You can set ignore rules in virus software. You are the one that chooses what you install or not. The fact that you're getting false positive on norton shows just how crappy it is. Its a symptom of a bigger problem. You make it sound like norton is fantastic minus just this one thing but that's just not the case.

It's out of control of the person writing software to try to prevent a virus program from flagging it. There's nothing that can be done on the pinball browser end in this regard. You write code, you compile it using an off the shelf compiler, that's it. You have no control over the output binary structure or some virus programs false detection algorithms.

So yes. You should purge everything norton from your system. Not just for pinball browser but because its a crappy product. It provides weak protection, false positives, and is quite bloated to run. Avg free is a much better free alternative. I've had to clean spyware/virus off far fewer avg installed systems than norton installed systems.

3 weeks later
#1165 7 years ago

Did you update between now and last night? Because the 3.2 from yesterday couldn't open the metle15 file

#1167 7 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

No, there is only one v3.2 (that has been online for a few hours).
As explained earlier, some of the new features will be reserved to people who made a donation.
These features are listed in the change log; Opening the new firmware formats is one of these.

You might want to add that to the error message displayed. The reason I chose not to donate was because it wouldn't open the file I wanted to open.

#1173 7 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Two large parts of Pinball Browser have been almost entirely rewritten : the firmware analysis and the sound system.
I kept the old code (that analyses a firmware) as-is and it does not know that the new one can.

I'm just suggesting because lots of people try software before donating and won't donate if it looks like it won't do what we need. It's an important distinction I think and will work against you getting donations.

#1180 7 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

yeah, I can't seem to get audio to play in my OS/2 WARP either. Any thoughts?

You probably just need to move some jumpers to adjust the IRQ on your sound card.

#1219 7 years ago

Transferring scores shouldn't be done between software versions. The rules of the game change and so do scoring possibilities. So a high score on one version may or may not be significant on another.

2 months later
#1320 7 years ago

How long does it take I get a license? I donated a week ago and never heard back. Had to use an old version to get my job done.

9 months later
#1671 6 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

Anyone know if the cues in the latest Star Trek code are the same as before? I have the movie soundtrack loaded in on the last-version code, and am hesitant to update and lose all of my work.

It was pretty simple to migrate. A single sound request was inserted so somewhere around sound request 36 it becomes 37 and everything moves up one after that. Very easy to tell if you look at the track length per request.

10 months later
#1999 5 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

I am getting ready to re-theme a Rolling Stones machine into a theme of my friends' band (No Doubt.) I've been playing with PB, and it seems super easy to do. I've imported songs, etc. But there is a few hours of work to go through and identify which sound/display effects are specific to the Rolling Stones. For example, there is a line that says "here comes mick" I will need to record a soundbite that says "here comes gwen."
Since I am a little overwhelmed with my homebuilding business now, I am looking to hire someone to help me with this. It would basically be replacing some of the RS specific DMD images and sounds with No Doubt images and sounds. The generic ones such as applause etc won't change.
So..if anybody is interested in getting hired to help me on this, shoot me a message! Thanks in advance.
tony c

I'm retheming a Rolling Stones to an iron maiden. There are a few audio tracks that will need to be rerecorded. 18 audio tracks that mostly get randomly selected. The back of the playfield is really generic. It's a good game for a retheme. Here is my first attempt at an overlay.

image_(resized).jpeg

#2001 5 years ago
Quoted from Grg:

That is awesome, it looks outstanding.
If this is the first attempt I can't wait to see your 2nd or 3rd.
With the recent artwork release of rob zombie and alien, compared to this! Iron Maiden artwork is far, far, far superior.....

Thanks. I have some plastics typed out. Translite and cabinet and apron decals are next. There's no shortage of iron maiden material

image_(resized).jpeg

#2015 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

There is no export functions in Pinball Browser.

Yea this is a bummer. There are uses for export functions. Suppose you wish to use the same sound effect for another request set elsewhere. The only way is to export and import again. Also exporting DMD frames would allow for importing and be useful for creating animation sequences.

It doesn't prevent anything either. You can install virtual audio cable and use your browser to play a sound, route it to sound recorder via virtual audio cable, and save that as a file. It's always a bummer when some consideration to DRM eliminates useful functionality from a program.

1 week later
#2019 5 years ago

They maybe recorded too hot and clipping. Did you import it at 100% volume no more?

What are you doing for the artwork? Are you following my iron maiden conversion at all?

#2028 5 years ago

Hey has anyone done any research into why pinball browsered Roms might crash in pinmame?

#2030 5 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Pinmame is checking the size of the roms and if that differs, it's crashing.
There was a version capable of the modified roms but sadly it was hosted on vpuniverse which is atm offline
Greets,
Dom

So it does more than check CRC (which is disabled by checkbox)?

#2033 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Get the latest vpinmame version from vpuniverse. It has cabinet mode and ignore CRC so modified roms (like pinballbrowser saved) work fine without any errors.
pinmame_ignore_CRC_(resized).png

Yea, I have that version. It just crashes trying to load a modified rom instead of complaining about the crc not matching.

#2034 5 years ago

OGA: can you please explain where pinball browser reads the version and ROM name info? It's not part of the strings table I guess. I want to be able to replace this information. I can hex edit or write a custom app to do it if you wouldnt mind sharing the algorithm pinball browser uses to determine these things.

#2037 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

If you keep the name of the bin and zip that vpinmame has defined it works. For example:
Clelands TWD PRO version. This would crash vpinmame until it was renamed to the defined name.
twd_156.zip (twd_156.bin inside the zip)
If you want to know the names. Click on setup in the vpinmame folder, then test and it shows the name of the binary that vpinmame has defined for the game/version. Of course if its a SAM game you also need the sam.vbs

I don't think we are on the same page here. I am telling you that vpinmame crashes. Not vpinball. The ROM name being wrong wont cause pinmame to crash. It will cause pinmame to be unable to load and start the ROM (it wont be found or it will be missing rom files). Sam.vbs is also not something pinmame cares about - that's script run by the vpinball table. Even naming everything correctly, my vpinmame crashes if I use pinball browser to modify the ROM.

#2042 5 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

If I import the sound and then export it, this is what I get:
The bottom is the original WAV
The top is the WAV that has been imported into Pinball Browser and then exported again as a WAV. It should be the same, but something has changed.

Question. Since pinball browser does not have an export funtional, how are you exporting the sound to compare?

#2046 5 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I have sent you a link to the files.
I don't think this is an undersampled sound because it is one of the long songs. I have tried importing this WAV into many other sound scripts and always get the distortion.

Undersampled sounds are generally labeled by pinball browser 2x undersampled.

3 weeks later
#2070 5 years ago
Quoted from Cyan:

Now that LOTR support is in there.. anyone working on it?

The sounds in lord of the rings are very good. What's there to do?

#2074 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Agree. LOTR is okay as it is.
But TSPP, could use some additional call-outs from Marge, Lisa and Millhouse.
With 20+ years of episodes, there's gotta be some relevant sound bites to use.

Pinball browser doesnt allow you to add additional call-outs. Only to replace ones that are there now.

#2077 5 years ago
Quoted from KenEberhardt:

Follow up on LOTR comments:
Agree that the sounds on LOTR are really good in terms of using good quotes, sequences from the movies matching the modes, etc.
However, the sound quality is quite bad - but I guess that is due to Stern design and not the sampling quality - right?
So, I should buy new speakers and not hope for any LotR miracles through this great initiative, right!?

It's due to the sample rate and any new sounds you import have to be converted to the same sample rate. So this program can replace sounds. Not upgrade sound quality.

#2080 5 years ago
Quoted from KenEberhardt:

Thanks for the explanation - as I feared....
However, I see that there is hope with the pinsound board to bring audio-life to LotR!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-card-reviews-anyone/page/14#post-3041866

Yes. Doesn't support white star

#2082 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Yes, I'll try it.
I'd like to see some projects on the Whitestar games that are supported. I've been asked to support T3, LOTR but no one has tested them yet

The sounds in those games are great so there's nothing to replace. I think Elvis would be the first one people might jump on. Lots of people love the layout and hate Elvis. Is that supported? Is the display editing also supported on whitestar or just sound rom?

1 month later
#2090 5 years ago

I tried v5.76 today with Elvis with the goal to replace some of the longer sounds that are music tracks with other music tracks (from metal elvis). The interface worked great and when everything was done, I went to save. Several of the files it loaded on the save dialog are in red. It updated a couple files like U17 and U21. But it keeps erroring out with "Cannot save Elvis.u7". I think this might be some sort of catalog that indicates where in other ROMs to find the sound requests. In any event, the sounds cannot be replaced without saving this file. After closing pinball browser and reopening it and loading elvis again, the replaced sounds are mostly back to their original sounds but some are a bit corrupted.

Quoted from thewool:

Whitestar support is coming to Pinsound soon!!!

Not sure what the proper definition of "soon" is, but I have heard this announcement for well over a year. If over a year is considered "soon", by some, then maybe 10 years is also. Who knows?

#2092 5 years ago

Hey Oga, thanks for the solution to the save problem. So I have another one. I'm trying to import this one track in Elvis over request 9 sound script 0x31 and it has a weird repeating issue at the start.
http://markmon.mine.nu/owncloud/index.php/s/Jpu3BhzKjxuo55F

Any thoughts?

#2093 5 years ago

Interesting. Ok I replaced the 7 audio tracks that were > 10 seconds which were the songs and they played ok in pinball browsers, except the one above. Then programmed U17, U21, U36, U37 and in the game almost all sounds are static now. U7 did not need to be reprogrammed as it did not save a new U7. I wonder if this can be reproduced in pinmame to make things simpler.

#2095 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

A sound script is made of 1 or more sound fragments.
To save space, the same fragment can be used several times (in the same script or in different ones).
That's what you experience with sound script 0x31 : the second fragment is played 8 times.

Any thoughts on all the sounds being static once installed into the game?

I am not sure what to make of your analysis of sound script 0x31. The original track played through without the odd repeating but when replaced then it plays repeating. In some Sam games there are several sound requests that obviously are pointers to the main sound. In this I didn't notice any other location that contained that particular song. I sorted the sounds in order of length.

I don't suppose you have access to an Elvis for testing right?

#2096 5 years ago

I loaded my ROM into vpinmame and didn't get static but I did get some unexpected results on what was playing when. I wonder if perhaps pinbal browser just doesn't enumerate all the tracks and such thoroughly on white star. Some of my replacements played and others didn't but I can't get any of the ones that didn't seem to replace to play the old sounds inside pinball browser any longer so I can't find the locations of what to replace or how to solve it.

#2098 5 years ago

Thanks for your detailed explanation above. So the audio tracks in Elvis are pieced together it sounds like and not replaceable tracks.

By static, I mean it sounds like white noise.

#2100 5 years ago
Quoted from andypuk:

Would be great if we can somehow change the sounds in Elvis....as i've just got one!

As of right now it looks like the only option is to recode the game with a proc or such.

#2105 5 years ago

I think the problems with pinsound might be similar. You're still limited by the requests the software makes right? If a request is 30 seconds then you only have a 30 second block of a sound to add before another overlapping sound is played. My issue with Elvis and the track that was repeating sounds like it would do the same in pinsound as the CPU makes multiple requests for the same sound

2 weeks later
#2136 5 years ago

Spike games have an sdcard. You can always image that card to get the whole firmware and OS. There was an analysis of the card showing which partition contained the game data.

5 months later
#2205 4 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I'm not trying to start a debate just wishful thinking.

Sure you are . Anyone giving back and forth on a subject is participating in a debate. If you weren't interested in a debate then you wouldn't have responded as shown above by stating the pros for your argument. That's by definition, a debate.

#2216 4 years ago

I really don't understand the logic of removing the export function. It doesn't accomplish anything except making it more difficult to export sounds which is still somewhat simple to do using a sound to file driver. This is the type of tool that's totally legal regardless if Stern likes it or not.

3 weeks later
#2239 4 years ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Being able to export sound would be very helpful. There are a few examples of Tron remixes out there and I like a couple tracks from each. Any chance this is possible?

There are plenty of easy enough ways to do this. I believe audacity is free and provides a way to record sounds that are being played via a loopback device. You'd simply configure this and then play the sound files one by one in pinball browser and save the file.
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html

Many sound card drivers have stereo mix option installed. You can simply enable that and use the sound recorder app while pinball browser plays back the sound file as shown here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/

If all else fails, virtual audio streaming works. It creates a virtual sound device you enable which just sends all pc sounds to a file. You'd enable this, click record, play the sound in pinball browser, click stop and save the file and repeat.
http://www.virtualaudiostreaming.net/

In short, pinball browser removed this capability but it doesnt prevent you from doing anything you want it just makes it annoying.

1 month later
#2250 4 years ago
Quoted from mozach:

So I rethemed a Rolling Stones pin to a foo fighters pin. Wanted to show a video clip in this thread. I used pinball browser to change everything. It's an amazing product.
» YouTube video

Nice job. Do you have close up images for everything? What do you make the dude on the stick from. I had Eddie figures to choose from. I don't imagine you did.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside