5 (resized).png
4 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Description of capabilities and download link. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #600 How to find the names of the lamp matrix locations. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #858 Video on how to replace a song. Posted by Underspin (10 years ago)

Post #1432 Macro function explained. Posted by oga83 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lucky1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2253 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinhunter:

Hi all, I am trying to colourise acdc, i have a pin2dmd so i am colouring for rgb.
With the palette choice i have the following.
white
red
blue
green
cyan
orange
vga
smart dmd
is there any way to create my own so i can pick from the drop down list.
I have played with the smartdmd option but these do not come up on the display page.
Is there a tutorial on colouring sam roms.
any help appreciated.

You have to select smartDMD and then pick a Palette when editing a picture.
You can change the palette during edit with a CTRL-click on the palette color you want to change

1 month later
#2335 7 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

BTW, do you have any suggestions for the future v6 ?
(don't ask for longer songs because it's not possible )
I already have a list of great features and I'm working full time on this version

Sidechannel for older SAM games and Spike ?

#2337 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I used the windisk32imager utility to make an image of the SD card from Batman66. When I try to read it via v5.97 it gives a "unknown firmware " message. Anyone else have that issue?

You can try to start pinball browser in admin mode. I had this message when there was no write access due to limited access rights.

7 months later
#2453 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

unfortunately, other than a handful of titles (ac/dc, metallica, mustang) there simply isn't enough available memory to do a title justice
trust me, a bunch of us were all "gung ho!" when this software was initially launched (go back and read the thread from the start). heck, echovictor even purchased a TF to specifically colorize that title
I created a detailed guide on how to use the software, but the truth of the matter is that even with all of the wonderful changes that olivier made to the software from the beginning, it is just not possible to fully colorize the titles due to the way that the roms are modified and use up the extra, un-used memory (that memory goes quickly)
ps
hey damone, if you wouldn't have been so busy scalping concert tickets and trying to bang stacy, you'd know this!

Actually it is a little bit more than a handful.
Here are the games I know of
- Stern ACDC from PinballMikeD
- Stern Metallica from PinballMikeD and J_M
- Stern Family Guy from MonsterBash
- Stern Spiderman Vault Edition from Sharkky
- Stern StarTrek from Sharkky (not fully finished)
- Stern Avengers from Sharkky
- Stern WorldPokerTour from Sharkky (not fully finished)
- Stern Mustang from Sharkky
- Stern Pirates of the Caribbean from Sironzelot
- Stern Shrek from Toon
- Stern BigBuckHunter from Sharkky

I discussed a method that would free up additional memory by completely reorganizing the animations with oga and he told me that he wants to implement it in one of the next versions. I think that would allow to finish StarTrek and maybe also TF.

4 weeks later
#2498 6 years ago

wrong thread

#2503 6 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Have a question. After I download the Batman 66 update from Stern I have 2 files. After I unpack the files and make changes with PB I'm left with the 2 original files, 1 large file containing the altered code and 1 dat file. I know not to bother with the .dat file. But what remaining file(s) should I being loading onto my USB for the code update? Just the larger 3.80G file? If there's updates to the node boards I want to make sure I'm loading them into my machine. Thanks!

I think this is answered in the faq
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/38#post-2722290

#2524 6 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Still struggling with this - if anyone has been successful coloring a combined graphic, please let me know...

I have done this with the bonus multiplier animation of StarTrek and worked without a problem.

1 month later
1 week later
#2616 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

if you are using the latest version of pinball browser, change the line of code in the macro from:
LoadHex,"comm119.hex"
to:
LoadHex,"comm132.hex"

and set

PaletteMode, 2
PaletteCom, 2

for serial sidechannel

#2619 6 years ago

Starts up fine on High Sierra. Do you have a hint how to make sound playback work ?

#2629 6 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Does "sudo mono --arch=32 Pinball-Browser.exe" works better ?
Can you export a sound and play it with sound ?

No

#2631 6 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Please send me the exported file that does not work.

I thought you mean directly play when started with sudo. I can´t export because I only registered 5.x so far.
Just made another donation. Export works fine now and playback of that export works also.

#2633 6 years ago

I exported a sound as a wav file and could play it back. I haven´t tested the import, but I think that should also work.

#2646 6 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

On Linux, the mono sound player is based on Alsa. It's probably the same on Mac.
You can check that Alsa is working with the following commands :
aplay Filename
speaker-test
You can display the mixer volume with : alsamixer
You may need to install the alsa-utils package.

As far as I know there is no alsa port for OSX. OSX uses Coreaudio instead.
Maybe it is possible to configure mono to use coreaudio

#2657 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

has anyone had any issues with using the 'expand memory' command in their macro, making changes, writing out the new game rom .bin file and then having the update fail?
I'm attempting to swap out all of the band member specific stuff on the rolling stones rom for acaciolo, but we're running into update failures the patched rom with even the simplest of changes

I found out that the file size generated by extend memory is a bit to large for the bootloader of SAM boards with 32M of Flash Memory. The file needs to be 33.292.288 instead of 33.554.416 .I reduced the file size of the ROM and then fix the checksum by hand after applying extend memory to make it work.

1 week later
#2668 6 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Can you please take a high-resolution picture of the flash memory area on the pcb ?
Which game was that ?

It was a avengers but unfortunately not mine

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 month later
#2751 6 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

Yeah this is a big downer for me too. Why cant we modify 20+ year old code yet?????

Quoted from Coyote:

Because, Assembly language.

I don´t think that that is the problem, but changing the sounds and burning a EPROM to test it is not something for the broad mass compared to
the flash upgrade of Stern machines. Replacing the sound board with a PinSound board or a DIY raspberry Pi based soundboard is a much better approach for "old" machine types.

1 week later
#2763 6 years ago
Quoted from Ramzr1:

Hello everyone, quick question, I am trying to alter the sounds on my stern Batman 66 but when I go to press “save as” it doesn’t let me pick where I want it to go. Also, the files that I do get are not spike files and thus my game won’t accept them. It’s probably something simple but I have no clue as to why. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

AFAIK changes to Spike ROMs are directly written to the SD card image so the "save as" function would not make any sense. That is why you should always use a copy of your SD card for editing.

8 months later
#2917 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Is saving high scores implemented as well? Last time I checked that wasn't doable yet on my SWLE...

I guess the hiscores for Spike Systems are not saved on the SD card. AFAIK saving hiscores is only supported on SAM systems with a serial connection to your PC.

3 months later
#3074 5 years ago
Quoted from pekilica:

Hey, guys, do someone know where I can get spooky zip files for some game to I can load zip file to pinball browser, then modify spooky firmware? I would really like to see spooky firmware sounds, displays, videos etc.

All tools for Spooky firmware are on https://www.benheck.com/

8 months later
#3311 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Is there a site where new files are shared by the various creators? Thanks.

PinballBrowser has a repository function. Authors who want to publicly share their macros can upload to it.

2 weeks later
#3322 4 years ago
Quoted from metwurcht:

hello
I don't understand my error!
I try to colorize my kiss
my setup :
a stern KISS
pinball browser 6.65 with license
pin2dmd editor 2.5.0.6 for export smartdmd.txt to pin2dmd.pal
a display rgb with stm32 and colorprism 3.05
the issue :
i have define a default palette .
[quoted image]
and a another palette , just for the " ball save " sequence.
[quoted image]
i have other palettes not used at this moment
i update the pinball with the custom rom .i plug the microsd with pin2dmd.pal on display
i start a play , nice the default palette work fine . i drain the ball for see the "ball save sequence" .
the sequence is like i want , the palette as changed , good !
But after , during all the play the palette is lock on "ball save" not on the default palette .
however the function "use the current palette" is not checked
what i forgot
some ideas ?
why , i can not attribute a palette to compressed images ?
[quoted image]
regards

You either need to set Sidechannel In-Frame in the SmartDMD tab or assign palette switch keyframes with the pin2dmd editor to make pin2dmd switch the palettes. The first method uses pixels in the upper left corner transfer the palette-switch information to the device. For the second you need a dump of the gameplay. I see you currently use In-Frame. There is a switch called persistant palette in the smartdmd.txt which can be changed. If on the palette stays until the next palette switch. If off it only is active when the frame has a palette information.

#3325 4 years ago

I just found out that the pin2dmd editor by steve does not take care of the persistant mode setting in the smartDMD.txt when converting the palette to pin2dmd.pal. You either need to manually patch the binary palette oder convert your project to persistant mode. If you want to patch the palette search for 0x10 0x01 and change it to 0x10 0x02 with a hex editor.

2 months later
#3413 4 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

I'm working on a Pin2Dmd style tweak in lieu of a colorization for Star Trek Pro running the latest v1.62 code. Keeping it simple in pinball browser using one default monochromatic pallet with a color pop I run out of memory doing very limited touch up work. For instance, the work I'm doing would be removing the color pop from a face where it shouldn't be. Is there some trick to reclaiming memory because even using the extend memory button only gives me one more scene at the most. Maybe some other patch..not sure how people do this color work. There must be something I'm missing.
example

Currently the only way to really save memory is to use the pin2dmd editor for replacement scenes and only colorize the dynamic scenes in pinball browser.
Maybe j_m_ can give you some tips how to save memory within pinball browser.

1 month later
#3783 3 years ago

You need a nullmodem cable to communicate with the pinball machine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem

Basically the wiring must be crossed from TX to RX and vice versa.

#3785 3 years ago

That is only a gender changer which does not cross TX and RX

#3788 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBroadside:

Hi
Pinside Newbie from the UK, wondered if anyone can advise me or help with my Pin2DMD I have installed on my Stern 24, Been loitering for a while and some great creations you guys have done with files/colouring.
I’m using Pinball Browser and I’ve loaded a stock file into the browser which is letting me destroy stuff
My question is, am I doing it right using Pinball Browser? But how do I get the file from pinball browser to Pin2DMD software as they use a different file. Sorry if I sound a complete idiot but it’s all new to me and want to learn but I think I maybe a bit out my depth. As said I’ve started to colour and it’s X16, I’m guessing this will work in my Evo Pin2DMD? And do I need the micro usb or RS232 cable
Sorry for all questions, I’ve tried to get some colour just in the settings on the DMD but looks horrendous, set to all Blue at moment, is they a File I can load on? Pic where is started on X8
Again, thank you for any help
Cheers
Adrian
[quoted image]

Did you read this https://pin2dmd.com/pinball-browser/ ?

You need a serial cable to make pin2dmd detect the palette switches created with pinball browser.

1 week later
#3801 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Dear lucky1
Are you stating here that the in-frame coloring technique smartdmd also has doesn’t work with pin2dmd?

No it works with pin2dmd, but side-channel is working better because sometimes the area of the inframe pixels gets overwritten in dynamic scenes.

3 months later
#4076 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

it sounds like you need to use the GPIO side channel option.

PIN2DMD does not support GPIO sidechannel, but serial sidechannel. You can use the pin2dmd editor to overcome
the memory limit by coloring the non dynamic scenes there and the scenes with dynamic content like score etc in pinball browser.

1 week later
#4108 3 years ago
Quoted from 32assassin:

unless you implemented a new mask I'm not aware of this is not possible,

The mode is called replace masked.You can define a mask describing the part you want to replace .

1 year later
#4615 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I generated a serial version by adding the comm patch, and created the corresponding ROM.

Did you also change the SmartDMD configuration to Store colors "Side Channel (serial) ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

14,000 (OBO)
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,419.00
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lucky1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images?tu=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.