5 (resized).png
4 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Description of capabilities and download link. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #600 How to find the names of the lamp matrix locations. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #858 Video on how to replace a song. Posted by Underspin (10 years ago)

Post #1432 Macro function explained. Posted by oga83 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3342 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

You will need to figure that out for yourself, sadly. If you have the game, it shouldn't be difficult. On top of that, if you have trouble figuring out how to see if the system is locked down or not, then you wouldn't be able to get in there yourself and make modifications, sadly.
Plus, since it's *possibly* considered 'hacking' or spossibly omething legally ambiguous, talking about it here on Pinside is NOT the best place to do so.

If he owns the game, then he can hack until his heart is content and he can talk about it here on Pinside all he wants. Completely legally. It’s in the distribution of his hacks that things can become illegal and a problem. You’re talking about this in a thread about a program that *hacks your game for you* (which is also legal).

The real question is continuing to talk about it in this thread. Wrong place. Start another thread in the modding forum about how to do what you want and maybe there are others who have done it and can help. It was fine to ask here, as this program might have done it, but since it doesn’t....

—Donnie

#3345 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The law is bad and needs to go but until it does practically any ‘unauthorized’ access is illegal.
The Computer Fraud and Abuse act is so vague that “whoever... intentionally accesses a computer...exceeds authorized access, and thereby obtains... information from any protected computer” is in violation.
It’s a horrible law. It was used to hound Aaron Swartz to the point of suicide for accessing free information in a systematic way and imprison Weev for automating typing URLs in an unauthorized manner.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1030
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weev

You're fearmongering. Stop it. I could go into details as to why what we're talking about has nothing to do with the above two cases, but instead I'll just say: STOP IT. Taking a pinball machine that you own and changing the code running on it yourself is completely within your Fair Use rights. Nothing in the law you posted says you can't do that, and nothing about the two cases you posted is in any way remotely close to what we're talking about here.

Just. Stop. Now. You either don't know what you're talking about, or you're a troll.

--Donnie

#3348 4 years ago

The law is bad and needs to go but until it does practically any ‘unauthorized’ access is illegal.
The Computer Fraud and Abuse act is so vague that “whoever... intentionally accesses a computer...exceeds authorized access, and thereby obtains... information from any protected computer” is in violation.
It’s a horrible law. It was used to hound Aaron Swartz to the point of suicide for accessing free information in a systematic way and imprison Weev for automating typing URLs in an unauthorized manner.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1030
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weev

You're fearmongering. Stop it. I could go into details as to why what we're talking about has nothing to do with the above two cases, but instead I'll just say: STOP IT. Taking a pinball machine that you own and changing the code running on it yourself is completely within your Fair Use rights. Nothing in the law you posted says you can't do that, and nothing about the two cases you posted is in any way remotely close to what we're talking about here.

Just. Stop. Now. You either don't know what you're talking about, or you're a troll.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:You’re wrong, I proved it above, and cited sources. If you have evidence to support your position then cite it.
Repeating your claim again doesn’t make it any less wrong than it was the first time.

You cited two cases of people hacking systems they did not own or even possess.

We are talking about hacking a thing for which you own. I can't be clearer than that. If this is illegal, then pinball-browser and a myriad of other things would also be illegal, BUT THEY ARE NOT.

--Donnie

2 months later
#3612 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I made some changes to Metallica, including editing of some text on one of the screens as a joke. The problem is that screen is no longer in color on my ColorDMD. It's just yellow, which I think might be the default or something.
Anyway know how to fix that issue?

You can't do that.

ColorDMD colorizes what Stern ships. If you change what Stern ships they can't colorize it, period. You'd have to go into the ColorDMD setup menu to see if there's an option to change the default to something different, but it's going to simply be one solid color.

--Donnie

3 months later
#3919 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

The point is I’m sure he did not write all the code he is using. There is a good chance he is using open source code that has a license that says if you use it your source should be open. That you should keep it in the hobby and not demand payment. Those people could say the exact same thing about pinball browser. The whole point of pinball browser is to reverse engineer and hack some one else’s code. There are a lot of dominos here all pointing to the next guy saying hey stop trying to make money off my work while they make money of the last guy.

That’s a pretty big assumption, and likely not true. You’re also basically accusing Ollie of being a thief with *zero* evidence of such. In fact, we have contrary evidence in that he requires you to download open source video conversion tools if you’re doing video work instead of having built those tools in.

Also note that not ALL open source use *requires* you to open source your derivative work. Libraries like the LGPL as well as “public domain” as well as a few other licenses out there DO allow you to incorporate open source work into a closed source product legally.

Ollie is entitled to license his software however he wants. You are entitled to use it or not. But it’s not cool to accuse him of being a thief without evidence.

Ollie, maybe consider addressing this by creating a free tool that’s super easy to use that will let an end user take a macro file, assets, and a freshly downloaded .bin file and merge them into a new firmware. That will make it a LOT easier for the end user, still allow for legal distribution, and get rid of the “but you’re just trying to get more people to buy your software and those folks probably can’t figure out how to use it anyway” thing. Or make that version a lot cheaper, anyway? Just throwing out ideas.

—Donnie

#3927 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Are you going to revoke my license. Here I thought you were earning money with a tool that reverse engineers and modifies Sterns copyrighted code. How much of Sterns copyrighted code is contained in the files output by pinball browser? My only point is you took payment so don’t start pointing fingers at your customers because of Sterns reaction.

You really shouldn't comment on things you know very little about.

What Ollie's tool does is perfectly legal. Creating a tool to edit copyrighted material is and has always been legal. Have you never seen a simple sound editing tool? Do you think it's illegal to download a copyright song and edit it? Because it's not. It's likely illegal to redistribute that edit, but that's not the tool's fault, nor does it make the tool illegal.

--Donnie

#3937 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Oh I know a thing or two about this. I didn't say it was illegal. I just said he shouldn't be revoking people's license or be the copyright police. There is no reason to be so polarized. All I said is no one should be taking the moral high ground. I never said anyone broke any laws. I said he may be infringing on some of the license of the code he may have used. I said there is no reason to start pointing fingers and blaming the people that you happily took money from if Stern gets pissed. I don't think it cool to put a nag in software that hassles you to pay again. By all means charge but once I pay for the software, I don't want to be nagged that maybe its time to pay again. I don't like that my license quit working most likely when I changed hardware. I understand why cooperation use that style of DRM but I also accept people have the right to complain about it and its a pain in the ass. Seems excessive on software of this nature. I also feel if my buddy asks me to update a song for him I should be able to do that with out risk of having my license revoked or my buddy having to pay the $20. All I said is we are getting into murky area here and it's a little weird. I know this is pinside and everything is always your with us or against us. Hey I was a paying customer and by all means he can tell me to fuck off and say I'm out of line, I voice my complaints. I have no problem if he does the same.

If Ollie wants to license his software so that your friend has to buy it to use it, too, that’s within his right to do. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t give you the right to make insinuations about Ollie’s character.

This is 100% about what you want, not about what Ollie is doing that’s somehow wrong in your eyes. You insinuated that he stole software, period. Whether you meant it that way or not, that’s what you did. It’s obvious that you really don’t understand how copyright and fair use work.

And FFS it’s $20 per user. It’s dirt frickin cheap already for what it does. Get over yourself and thank the man for selling it so cheap before he decides it’s not worth the hassle. If he stops updating it then it’ll likely stop working forever since Stern has decided to become a moving target.

—Donnie

#3939 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Forbidding the sharing of binary files under threat of having your license key revoked seems like a tactic to force more people to buy licenses. Maybe I don't understand the issue completely, but if it's true that license keys are being revoked for sharing what people create using the program, then that's really crappy policy.
Of course, I can't even get it to run on my computer without a barrage of error windows so I can't say I was ever tempted to buy it.

Ollie said he can take your license IF HE FINDS OUT. He will find out if you start selling or making full firmware available for download. Those are the things Stern does NOT want to see. Stern likely won’t know or care if someone does a custom firmware for their buddy.

Their buddy should do the right thing and pay Ollie if they like their new song for $20 worth. But if they don’t pay him he’s not going to be out there trying to find you, either.

So don’t be a jerk and start selling firmware. Don’t be a jerk and put full files up for people to download. And if you like the output of his work and benefit from it? Throw the man a $20. It’s worth more than that.

This isn’t that hard.

3 months later
#4225 3 years ago

Their licensors haven’t granted permission for all the modifications possible so if Stern wants to continue to work with licenses they’re obligated to take steps to prevent it.

This has been floated as a reason, but I’m not 100% sure this is the reason until someone from Stern says so. Then I’ll be about 20% sure. Otherwise it’s a theory someone posted and enough people apparently thought plausible enough that it’s turned into some kind of gospel.

—Donnie

3 weeks later
#4288 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Fact Check: Apple computers make up less than 15% of market share, which is why many developers don’t write to the platform.

One, I’d bet the number of Mac users among Pinball owners is significantly higher than that for socio-economic reasons. Two, even if it’s “just” 15%, how many other ways can you increase the sales of your software by 15% (or more)? These days I doubt it’s 15% more work to port to a UI that can handle both, and I can’t help but wonder if support issues aren’t going to just cancel out the folks who are having problems trying to run it under emulation/vm/whatever on a Mac now.

—Donnie

#4293 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

As a devleoper, I know for a fact it's a LOT more than "just port a UI".

I didn’t mean to imply it was an easy task. And note that *you* added the “just”, not me. Once ported you could probably then port to Linux as well fairly easily, though.

I will say this: porting it in a mediocre way will make it worse on all platforms. Porting it *well* will make it better on all platforms. As a developer, learning how to target multiple platforms will make you a better developer, too. So there are benefits to the extra work, but sure, it isn’t trivial nor even easy.

—Donnie

#4311 3 years ago
Quoted from noysboy:

This x100. If enough people want a native apple version, find someone else to do it.

Good lord chill out. Nobody is badgering Ollie. It’s asked occasionally, likely by people newer to the thread who haven’t read the entire thing and don’t know. Then people who aren’t Ollie have to chime in with how stupid it is to even ask and it starts an argument. If the answer was from Ollie and it was “sorry, not my jam” it would likely invoke an “oh well, maybe someday” or no response at all, but instead here we are.

—Donnie

#4314 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I love an old school Win v Mac pissing contest

Oh we never even got started down THAT road, pal! lol.

Seriously, it's fine. I think the biggest part of the problem is that we live in a world where all this exists in a never ending single thread. Some folks are all-in and been here since the beginning, and many people come and go. There's natural conflict between those two worlds. There's no real FAQ to point people to or anything because Ollie is so good about just answering almost everything right here.

There are plenty of good things about the never-ending-thread model, but there are some downsides, too. *shrug*

--Donnie

#4322 3 years ago
Quoted from gordonshumway:

Is PB free or a cost? Where do you find it? What else can you do with it other than massage high scores?

Go read the very first post in this thread.

—Donnie

2 weeks later
#4345 3 years ago

IANAL, but based on what I do know about fair use doctrine I don't believe any of what that says is enforceable. They can't stop anyone from creating tools that edit their work, and they can't stop the end user from doing it for themselves. Sure, it's probably a bad idea to edit their work and then sell the machine to someone else without putting their code back in unedited form. And it's DEFINITELY not cool to edit their work and share your edits of their work with their work in it. Can you share a macro that edits their work but doesn't include any of their work? Yes, I believe that would fall under fair use, just like they can't and won't be able to stop Ollie from updating Pinball Browser and selling it.

This would be directly analogous to the music industry trying to say you can't create your own mixtape for your own use of music you legally purchased. *shrug*

--Donnie

#4347 3 years ago

It’s also worth nothing this little gem in there:

“You will not use or install any Unauthorized Content or Unauthorized Software.”

That, in and of itself, would preclude many, if not all, playfield mods. It definitely seems to preclude any playfield mods that play their own content or require their own software (so the Tron minicab, anything done with Pinduino, the TV for TZ, etc). If it were, indeed, enforceable. I dunno, the more I think about what they are trying to do here in both what they want as well as the potential unintended consequences, the more I don’t like it.

If I thought this was all CYA legalese then I wouldn’t much care, but they seem to be trying already to enforce these things, both by encrypting firmware as well as the part they added about how trying to use edited software may INTENTIONALLY brick your pinball machine. This looks to be the end of my willingness to buy a Stern pinball machine.

—Donnie

#4349 3 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

Testing today the EULA does not pop up anymore? did they remove it again?
maybe a testrun for the near future?
did download the turtles 1.41 spk and tried with sd-card images and different browsers. It did not pop up again.

It is currently removed, yes. It doesn't even appear in downloaded firmware, README, or anything I could find. But it definitely *did* exist.

--Donnie

#4352 3 years ago

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Eula.pdf
Could be they set a cookie so each visitor only sees it once. Try browsing in private mode, maybe it will come up every time.

I’ve tried it on several different browsers and never seen it myself.

—Donnie

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Belmont, MI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 113.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images?tu=djb_rh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.