1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Description of capabilities and download link. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #600 How to find the names of the lamp matrix locations. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #858 Video on how to replace a song. Posted by Underspin (10 years ago)

Post #1432 Macro function explained. Posted by oga83 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PoMC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2451 6 years ago

I have a license for version 5.97. Can I install version 6 using the same license or do I need to buy a new key?

1 week later
#2463 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Excellent post
Don't have Audacity or Goldwave.
Was just going to get replacement songs from itunes?

No matter where you get the songs, you'll need to import the song into Audacity or Goldwave and follow those steps to convert the song for best audio quality.

#2465 6 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

Cool info. replace tracks on my KISS Pro. On ACDC I see lots of files of various lengths. Not sure how to replace the songs on ACDC. Kiss was simple.
Can I change the highscores in the file? I hate losing my HS every time i re-flash.

Yup, you can change the scores and any setting as well so you don't have to change after every update.

#2467 6 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

Nice thanks. That's cool.
Is changing songs in ACDC a pain. It looks like it is as there are many different locations with different lengths.

I've only done Mustang and Metallica, but should be the same as AC/DC. Just follow steps others have said, usually the longest song location is the one to change and it will update the shorter locations of the same song.

2 years later
#3701 4 years ago

Has anyone changed Aerosmith songs using Pinball Browser? I used it all the time when I owned Metallica and Mustang and had fun changing up the songs.

Looks like it's much more involved with Spike 2, but I don't mind the effort as long as I'm not wasting my time. I probably just want to start with replacing Walk This Way with the Run DMC/Aerosmith version to change things up a little.

#3716 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Has anyone changed Aerosmith songs using Pinball Browser? I used it all the time when I owned Metallica and Mustang and had fun changing up the songs.
Looks like it's much more involved with Spike 2, but I don't mind the effort as long as I'm not wasting my time. I probably just want to start with replacing Walk This Way with the Run DMC/Aerosmith version to change things up a little.

I'll respond to my own question. I had no problem changing songs on Aerosmith and it was the same process I used with Mustang and Metallica. Just had the extra long image reading and writing times, but I was using my old desktop all-in-one and not my gaming laptop. Not sure how much faster it could've been since the SD card reading/writing times probably are the bottleneck.

Anyways, I swapped out Walk This Way with the version featuring Run DMC. Songs times were identical, so didn't need to edit the song. I just applied "Compression" in Audacity and adjusted the volume level.

Also swapped out Rats in the Cellar with the 2014 Skid Row cover version, just to mix it up because the guitar solo is terrific and vocals are great. It's not Sebastian Bach on vocals - some other guys who made a few records with Skid Row.

#3727 4 years ago

I have a question about Aerosmith.

Rats in the Cellar is in two locations in its entirety.

Script 0x22 - 4min 04s 356ms
Script 0x23 - 4min 04s 356ms

Rats in the Cellar plays during game over for maybe 20 seconds. Is that why the song is listed twice? If so, does anyone know which location is for the game over music? Figured I'd ask before testing myself since each write of the image takes a long time.

5 months later
#4162 3 years ago

I started working on adding videos to Aerosmith. Here's the results of my first test. I added Walk This Way; Dude Looks Like a Lady and Love in An Elevator. I like the results, so I'm going to keep going and add a video for each song.

#4164 3 years ago

What causes the image to get corrupted or go into a reboot loop? I've wasted so many hours only to find out the game goes into the Update From USB screen or a game starting reboot loop.

Because of that, I now close the image after every video replacement, test that it opens and then burn the image. Then test the game boots. I'm going to have to do that 9 times for Aerosmith (9 videos) and it's just so tedious.

#4166 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

What program are you using to flash the image?

Pinball Browser itself and Win32diskimager

#4169 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Some things to try, based on a workflow I used to make the TMNT 1987 code...
1. Import your videos. Do the regular import, not the import without conversion.
- sometimes I found having a smaller file size than the original can help. I don't think this ended up being one of the requirements, but it's something you can play around with if you have problems.
2. Close the firmware
3. Write to the SD card using pinball browser
I can't tell from your description, but it seems like the missing piece is just closing the firmware before burning the image.

Yup, doing exactly that. All my file sizes are smaller; same resolution; lower frames by a little; clipped a few seconds off the end of each video and lowered bit rate. I was able to complete updating all 9 videos last night by using the conversion, but then the videos stutter and the game slows down. No conversion makes the videos play fine or at least very acceptable. But it seems that's where the corruption happens when writing the image is when I don't use conversion.

Using last night's image, I went thru and replaced each video with a No Conversion Import. Went to the dog park and let the image burn. Just came home and the game displays the USB Update message. I can tell when it won't work now before wasting time writing to the SD card by re-opening the image after I close it. If I get Unknown Firmware, then I know I wasted my time.

As it stands now, I am unzipping a clean RAW image and now have to re-import them all again and start over. I now also use 2 SD cards so if an image works, I can at least keep a partial working copy and extract an image from the working card if needed.

#4170 3 years ago

Just now the fresh image corrupted. Fresh Stern image; replaced one song and imported two videos without conversion. Closed the firmware and opened it back up - Unknown FirmWare! error message. Now I have to extract a fresh image again and start over. WTF?

#4172 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

What class SD card are you using? Is it at least class 10? That's one thing that stood out for me since you mentioned the videos stutter.
Are you also removing the audio from the videos that you upload into the firmware?
You can also try significantly lowering the bitrate to see if that helps with the stutter issue. Then at least you'll know that maybe the videos need to be down sampled.

I'm using the original Stern 8gb SD card, don't know what that's rated. I checked my 16GB card and it's a class 4, so I'll get a few class 10 cards.

I do remove the audio from each video as well.

Bit rate seems fine on the No Conversion imports and I do make the bit rate lower than the original videos. Usually 6500-7000 bit rate on my imports and the originals range from 8000-12000+.

But I will try the class 10 card and that could be the issue with the Conversion imports stuttering, for sure.

Right now it's just frustrating with getting a corrupted "Unknown firmware" so often. I make a change, exit, re-open and if it works then I exit again and make a copy of the image to another location. Takes 8 min to make a copy each time.

#4173 3 years ago

I bought a handful of 16gb class 10 cards today. I used Rufus to make an image of the card with the stuttering videos that were imported using the conversion. Burned the image to the new class 10 card and had the same results on those same videos.

Starting over with importing without conversion and hopefully can get a few successful imports without corruption. Then will make a copy of the image and work off the original and add more videos. Can fall back to the copy if I get a corruption.

#4175 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Damn that sucks, well at least now you got some better SD cards. From my experience, the boot loops always happened when I was burning with etcher. Changing to burn with pinball browser and importing with converting solved all my issues. I'd say for importing without converting be very mindful of the file size and frame length of your videos. Which it sounds like you already are.

New plan of action after another USB Firmware error. I doublechecked the frames before importing these 3 videos without converting.

So, since I was able to get many completed and working WITH the conversion, back to that. But this time I'm dropping the bit rate much lower than the original video bit rate. I was staying lower before, but still in the neighborhood of the original. I'm going to stick with the bit rate of the videos I am using since it appears the bit rate is at least 1/2 - 3/4 lower than the Aerosmith stock videos. Maybe that will resolve the stuttering when I use the conversion.

For example, Back in the Saddle, stock bit rate is 9500. I was dropping down my video to 8000, but it's original bit rate was 4100, so let's see if that does the trick.

We shall see!

#4177 3 years ago

Was able to complete importing all 9 videos (with conversion) without getting any errors. Some improvement noticed with lowered bit rates around 4000 for each video. I went lower on one to see the difference and could begin seeing degraded video quality on it.

For the couple of videos I'm still seeing a lot off stuttering - which also slows down the game itself - I'm going to get new videos for those. Could be something just different about those couple of videos that do not play nice.

Going to try another attempt without converting on the lowered bitrate videos. Just see what happens.

I'm also going to switch over to Handbrake for re-encoding the videos. I've been using The old Windows Movie Maker from the Windows Essential 2012 package, just because I've always used it for basic video editing. What are you using to edit videos? I'll switch over to whatever you're trying just to eliminate a variable.

1 week later
#4188 3 years ago

Sharing here, as well as the Aerosmith group. I finished version 1 of the live video replacement project. Gameplay video is below and shows all 9 songs having a new video instead of a Flash animation background of the band.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j6KGSozYS6ZFE3WP9

Several videos have some stuttering or slowdown during these songs: Rats in the Cellar; Back in the Saddle and Same Old Song and dance
It's because of all the added animations/overlays on those screens - rats walking around; lots of targets shown on the screens.

I'll see if lowering the bit rate on those several videos resolves the stuttering, but I don't want to reduce the video quality much more. Those several songs are already down to 1500kbps bit rate

It's too bad I couldn't complete a version in Pinball Browser by importing all videos without conversion. Without conversion, the videos play smoothly, but I cannot get all videos replaced because the image becomes corrupted before all can be replaced. Been a pain in the ass and extremely time consuming because of that. So I had to just go back to importing and allowing a conversion, which works, but not to my 100% satisfaction. But still, light years better than the original background graphics.

#4191 3 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

I only had one SD card that was large enough but I did reformat it. I'm on Windows 10. I was using Pinball Browser itself to write the image per the recommendation. Someone told me to try balenaEtcher. I plan on trying it.

Grab some cards from Walmart if you need to try another. Their "Onn" brand works just fine for me when working on my Aerosmith updates. I used 16gb and 32gb version with Pinball Browser and the pinball machine without any issues.

3 months later
#4415 3 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

Cannot say enough how much Pinball Browser Rocks!!! Especially for music pins. The ability to change songs out and replace with favourite songs is amazing.
...and although you are stuck with the original length of the song, with a little editing you can tack on another song or part of a song to the end of a replacement. In the case of playing Metallica's crank it up modes, if you are having a great (long) ball, you finally get to the music you tacked on and it is an audio queue that your having a great ball.

When I owned Metallica, I replaced a few longer tracks with several shorter songs combined to fill that song slot. Ultimately I did not like it because the game doesn’t know you spliced several songs into that track. It’s fine when you can make it deep enough into the song to hear your next song you added, but drain a ball and then chances are it rewinds far enough back to the first song. I just didn’t like that effect it had so I always replaced with tracks of the same length. Doesn’t mean I didn’t edit a song to make it fit, because I would remove long slow intros if I had to, or cut something off at the end to make a song fit.

2 months later
#4509 2 years ago
Quoted from palacekeeper:

I don't necessarily need it to compare them. All I really need (well, would like) to do is to copy over a few sounds from the factory rom to a different modded rom.

Download the full SD card image from Stern if you are using an update version. Open the firmware in Pinball Browser and download the bookmarks when prompted. I don't know if ST has bookmarks yet.

In the Stern image, locate the sound you want to import into the Cleland version. Choose to export and save the file. Repeat if needed for other audio files.

Now open the Cleland image in Pinball browser. Locate the first audio file that is to be replaced with the stock file ou exported. Choose to import. Repeat if needed for other audio clips.

Close the firmware. It is now a modified version with your changes. Select the SmartDMD tab in Pinball browser and burn the image to an SD card.

#4511 2 years ago

Thanks for the detailed steps! When I attempt to open the one I downloaded from Stern's site I get unknown firmware. When I attempt the "download from Stern" option in the pinball browser app, I get the same error. Both are .zip extensions, which are listed as valid extension in the Open applet. Any ideas? Or anyone else able to download and open in the pinball browser? The one I'm trying to use is in the attached picture. Thanks
[quoted image]

Extract the zip file of the image that you downloaded. The size you end up with will be over seven gigs when it is extracted

#4515 2 years ago

Okay thanks, that worked. There are almost 700 sounds listed and they don't have descriptive names, but with some patience I can find it .
Cleland's was in .gz but i was able to extract that with 7-zip. Thanks!

I did that but nothing showed up, or at least no meaningful labels. I found the two sounds I wanted with a bit of patience, though. One was under sound requests and the other under sound scripts. Now to see if I can pull off the export/import, convert back to .gz and flash the card. Worth a shot!

Once you replace the sounds, close the firmware in Pinball browser and follow the instructions I posted about going to the smart DMD tab and writing the SD card. You don’t need or want to convert back to a.gz file.

2 months later
#4549 2 years ago

Figured I'd share a recent Stranger Things project I'm finishing up. I've been adding attract mode videos to all the new Sterns I get my hands on and also finishing a major Aerosmith project (real videos replacing the flash animation). Well, I have about 8 finished versions, but never satisfied.

I finished creating a new Stranger Things attract mode/game over slideshow because I wasn't totally happy with my prior one. This makes 3 or 4 slideshows I've made, which is why I rarely release anything I make, since I'm never completely satisfied and keep making changes.

New attract mode slideshow:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fn8zC8315DwUZsQC9

Game over slideshow (same as above) with Twist of Fate song that plays:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FnKZkJeJSevgDYUs9

Cleland's soundtrack code with my attract modes and slideshow. This video shows game over with my slideshow and the track of the kids talking that everyone likes. He's going to be releasing his audio update mod with my attract mode mods included soon.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mWUs8KrjVF97fkWh6

I also have a stock audio version with only my videos added.

#4552 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

PoMC I love the video excerpts from the show, they look stock. Is there a way to make the transitions longer for the still images, or is that locked in with the code?

Thanks. I can change the transition time for each individual photo. Myself and Cleland have already come up with some tweaks that will work well with his soundtrack version of the Strange Impalas ending track.

I had timed the slideshow photo transitions to change to the beat of the edit I made with Twist of Fate as the game over song. So yup, the photo transitions as shown are not yet timed and paced for the Cleland ending track.

This video slot is 45 seconds long, but the game will loop it for another 10-15 seconds on its own. I can reduce the # of photos in the slideshow, slow down the transition times, etc, but the running length will still be 45 seconds and loop.

4 months later
#4658 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Came across a new issue last night when changing the modified SD card. The Stern logo came up when I turned on the game but then it noted a code update was required and asked for an USB to be inserted. Have never had that error when swapping out the SD card. Anyone come across this before and have any idea what is causing it? I used Win32 Disk Manager to burn the SD card as Etcher does not seem to work when swapping out videos. Thanks for the help!

Yup, had that happen before when the image got corrupted somehow. When you open the image in the browser now, does it say Unknown Firmware?

#4660 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Your right, crap, now I lost a bunch of my changes. Did you find that happens often? Does it seem to relate to the size of the video file you are using as a replacement? Thanks for the assistance.

Yeah, that royally sucks when it happens, and it did happen often to me. I did not notice a pattern of a certain change that caused it in my cases.

Now I manually backup the image file when making changes. After making a few changes, I got in the habit of exiting the image and then re-opening it again to be sure I didn't see the Unknown Firmware message. If you see that, it's hosed.

I have a folder named backup inside the image folder. Periodically copy the image in there to keep a safe backup.

3 weeks later
#4729 2 years ago

I was planning on revisiting Avengers and music changes again. All my videos changes came out nice, but I remember the imported audio volume was much lower. I couldn't seem to boost that volume up to where it wasn't noticeably lower than the remaining stock music.

Anyone replace Avengers music lately?

2 weeks later
#4752 2 years ago
Quoted from daphishbowl:

If we had a license do we need to donate again for version 8? I press the "Register" and it says "Your license has been correctly registered" but when I restart it just ask the same thing again. Previous version just pulled my license in.

Same here. Was just going to donate again.

#4764 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

I don't have a "real" Stern yet but I hopefully should soon. So far I've only used Pinball-Browser to update songs & associated text on AC/DC and Metallica for virtual pinball.
I'm guessing for real machines it would be a good idea to have 2 or 3 SD cards with modified code, official code, and maybe the prior release in case of issues. Or at least have the images backed up so they can be re-written. Is anybody using a SD card switcher to be able to more easily switch between different code?

I have at least 6 different SD cards for my Aerosmith video code. I just pop in whatever version I want to use. Last week I made a Led Zeppelin playlist for Aerosmith, so have a separate card just for that.

1 week later
#4786 2 years ago
Quoted from gameroompinball:

Finally made all my updates, but when I save the new file (same name) to an SD card, the game will not boot up. Any advice?

After you make your changes, close the firmware. Now open the SmartDMD tab, open the firmware, insert an SD card and write to that SD card drive letter.

3 weeks later
#4812 2 years ago

I made a Led Zep and Motely Crue mix for Aerosmith and decided I'd like to try changing the song title graphics. Also getting my friend's Iron Maiden in a temp trade for Avengers and would like to do the same on that.

Anyone have a quick writeup or tips for importing the new images with a transparent background? I started experimenting, but it goes slow waiting for the image to write and test each change.

#4816 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I did a few song icon changes for IM. You can see them in an earlier post. I used paint 3d and just saved the image as translucent and it seemed to work ok.

Thanks, I was certainly over thinking it.

3 weeks later
#4844 2 years ago

When importing sounds, is the volume slider on the import window just for listening to the clip before importing? Or will increasing the volume there also bump up the volume when importing?

I normally increase the volume in Audacity, but if the process can be streamlined, great.

#4846 2 years ago

So what's the trick I'm missing with replacing images? I'm just trying to do basic image replacements on the Aerosmith song selection screen. I found the location of the song images, created my replacement transparent image, but the Import feature when right clicking the image does not save. I import, choose the image I made, which is the same pixel size as the original. But when I open the image, the original is still there.

If I open the image and draw shit all over it and save, that works. But on that editing screen, it won't let me select the original image with the selection tool to delete the image.

Selecting the Undo button on the Edit Image screen will open a select file browser and I can choose my new image and then it adds it over the original. WTF?

#4847 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I think it does adjust the volume as this is how I do it.

Yes indeed it did. I was making a Rush mix for Aerosmith and pumped the volume to 250% and I did nothing with Audacity. Worked and sounded great.

#4850 2 years ago
Quoted from Mutt:

this is what I'm going to try today. I have a pic of Steven Tyler kissing my wife on stage at Howard Stern's birthday party. it's not the best quality but I have to find a spot that makes sense & get into her table.

That sounds awesome! Let me know how you make out.

oga83 Could you tell us the correct steps so we can stop our trial and mostly error?

#4853 2 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

What exactly are you trying to do that yields an error ?

Importing a new image does not save. I can open an image and draw on it in the editor and those changes save. But import will not save the new image I want.

#4855 2 years ago
Quoted from Mutt:

I just imported an image to replace and existing one & it worked. not sure if it's necessary but I made sure it was the same pixel dimensions. maybe your image is just too big.

Thanks. I’ll double check, but pretty sure I saved my image with the same pixels as the original image said.

#4868 2 years ago

My friend has no chance of getting the GC on his Iron Maiden after I used Pinball Browser to keep my high score.

IMG_5284 (resized).JPGIMG_5284 (resized).JPG
#4873 2 years ago
Quoted from acons017:

I don’t get it. How are you able to enter a score that high on IM but PB won’t let me enter a GC score higher than 2,100,000,00?

It fucked up entering my normal high score which this was a long while ago and don’t remember what it was.

2 weeks later
#4884 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Can anyone provide details on how to add video to Pinbrowser? I want to swap out the Stern instructional videos with some series ST video on my Stranger Things.

I did that when I had a Stranger Things. Message me and I'll send you the link, I should still have it if you're interested.

2 weeks later
#4899 1 year ago

If anyone has an Iron Maiden Pro (Premium/LE version coming soon), then you'll want to check out my thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-amp-the-monsters-of-rock-modded-code#post-6906819

3 weeks later
#4925 1 year ago
Quoted from cleland:

Random static still on Stranger Things LE/Premium code. Bummer, as that should be the last update for Stranger Things

I'm working on my version of Guardians of the Galaxy 1.09. I came across one track of static. It was the last of the three duplicate Cherry Bomb tracks. But I was able to import over it using an export of one of the other two. First time I've encountered this myself.

#4935 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

This is what i experienced with TMNT, i did an import of over a static slot. It sounded good in PB but in the Game it was ugly.

Yup, this happened with me too on Guardians.

#4938 1 year ago
Quoted from cleland:

Does 8.12 now fix the static/codec issue with some games?

I tried to "trick" 8.10 by setting the volume to zero on the static track. Didn't work.

I'll try with 8.12 since I have my project still open.

#4944 1 year ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Damn I bet Stern finally removed it after we all made a big deal about it still being in the code over the last few months...

The fact is Stern left in in the code, but just turned the "switch off", for all those years. The Midnight Madness was turned off in an early .9x version. It remained there, unseen by everyone all the way to code 1.10, until I bought a Star Wars Pro months ago and began poking around.

Stern should've removed it correctly the first time.

#4947 1 year ago

Yup. Guilty as charged. I found something cool hidden in a game that NO ONE else did in the years prior. AND FREELY SHARED IT....so that's hardly "nothing", as you said.

Putting Star Wars up for sale this weekend. So you're right, I do not care that it's no longer in the code. Moving on to customizing the Led Zeppelin I'm getting tonight. If I find anything interesting or make something cool, I'll continue to share it.

You're welcome.

#4952 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I tried to "trick" 8.10 by setting the volume to zero on the static track. Didn't work.
I'll try with 8.12 since I have my project still open.

Correction, that did work enough for my needs. Was playing a few more games on the modified 1.09 code and reached the static track that I muted.

It played static and muffled audio for about 5 seconds and then went mute/silent with only the background scoring sounds audible. Totally fine in my scenario since that static-track is a random occurrence between modes and stops when you hit the scoop to start a new mode.

Oh shit, maybe I shouldn't have shared that?

#4955 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

I have increased the sound analysis depth in PB v8.13
PB is now able to work with all the sounds in ST 1.05
I've not tested other firmwares but it's very likely to reduce the number of static sounds

Cool! I'll report back on the known track in Guardians 1.09

#4963 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Rush seems to corrupt the SD image file if you make changes to more than one video. Song changes and images seem to be working fine. Anyone come across this issue? Thanks.

Lots of time when working on Aerosmith. Try importing the video without conversion, that worked on some videos in Aerosmith that would corrupt the image when making the video change.

Always be backing up too prior to making a change. Can get frustrating.

#4966 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Cool! I'll report back on the known track in Guardians 1.09

Same static track on Guardians remains.

#4970 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

Pro and/or LE ?
Which script id ?

Guardians Pro.

Script 0x41
Length 2min01s929ms

#4972 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

In guardians-1_09_0.Release.8G.sdcard.raw, sound script 0x41 works fine with PB v8.13
[quoted image]
The song is Cherry Bomb by The Runnaways
[EDIT] If you tried to replace it with a previous version of PB (when it sounded static), that's normal. You should start again with a stock firmware.

Will do, I'll start over with a fresh image. Thanks.

#4975 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Where is the function to burn the SD card directly with PB? I have been using WinDisk32Imager as it seems to work better when you change videos. Thanks for the help!

Close the firmware then click the SmartDMD tab. You'll pick the firmware and destination drive and write it.

#4979 1 year ago
Quoted from bart0404:

I tried to use the advice of foofighter in post #4027. I did all the editing, imported the videos, closed the files, and burned the image with PB without closing it. It goes to a boot loop on the real machine. If i try to reopen that file it says 'Unknown Firmware'.
Bit of good news - I can say all the audio, text, and image imports work fine on the .96 firmware. . If I could just resolve the video import it would be 100%. Thanks!

Ran into a lot of those issues with Aerosmith. You're going to have to take it slow and import one video. Then close the firmware and open to test for the Unknown Firmware corruption error. If it opens, close it and back up the image. Re-open the original and test with the next video and repeat the backup.

#4981 1 year ago
Quoted from bart0404:

Thank you for this. So far i have gotten it to work with 2 different imported videos where it would open again. Never have i gotten it to work importing a 2nd video.

Have you tried the option to import without conversion. That was what I needed to do with two of the stubborn Aerosmith videos.

#4984 1 year ago
Quoted from bart0404:

Yes I converted the videos with Handbrake many diffferent permutations. They dont matter. I can import without conversion because if i dont it give a big ugly error. I dont understand THAT probiem because i run it as admin of "d:\PB813" folder. FFMPEG.EXE, FFPLAY.EXE, FFPROBE.EXE are all in the same folder.
Are there any known issues related to Antivirus or PC Firewall that would break this? Even if I import 1 video and try to reopen it almost every time it say 'Unknown Firmware'. This is very frustrating as it seems like im the only one having an issue on a Windows 10 Pro 64bit PC with all latest updates.
[quoted image]

I'll download the Rush image and test. Which model of the game? Have you been successful importing videos with other game images?

#4988 1 year ago

I found some static audio tracks in Led Zeppelin Pro 1.15 with Pinball Browser 8.13.

Scripts:
0x61
0x20B
0x1B5
0x145

There are others too, just happened across two of them and then checked a few others. Was brand new extracted code, not yet used in any version of Pinball Browser.

#4990 1 year ago

Just an FYI. I will be returning my friend's Guardians Pro soon. Here's my final personal mod of the code.

Attract mode videos begin at start. 6:20 starts gameplay and new music soundtrack.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-pomc-remix#post-6951116

#4995 1 year ago
Quoted from bart0404:

Sorted out the worst of the issues. With help from a very intuitive knowledgable person. I feel like at this point any audio, any size track, any video length should probably be ok as long as it fits on the SD Card.

Please share the knowledge!

2 weeks later
#5001 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

2 codecs are impacted in this game.
The corresponding sound scripts are :
[quoted image]

Are you able to add those codecs like you did for Rush...or whatever other game recently had static tracks?

#5012 1 year ago
Quoted from monkeybug:

Looking for some advice here. I am trying to replace a video but every time the game tries to show it, the video dies and then a few seconds later the whole game shuts down. I have done this multiple times by replacing a single video only from the latest stock image.
I have done the following:
- importing with and without conversion
- I made sure the height/width matches the original (1360x768)
- Bit depth is identical (24)
- I compressed it so that the average bitrate is close which also gets the file sizes close(196mb vs 217mb)
- The time/duration is identical
- No audio is exported on the video
- FPS is identical (30)
- Video mime type is the same as the original (Quicktime)
The only thing different is the compressor ID (H.264 vs Lavc56.60.100 libx264). Not sure if that would be an issue.
One person mentioned that naming your new video file, identical to what the original one might be required.
Anyone else have any tips/advice/guidance on replacing video?

What game and code is doing that?

#5017 1 year ago
Quoted from monkeybug:

LZ_LE 1.15, with PBrowser 8.13

Bingo! This worked for me. I was using Etcher.

Thanks, I will check that out. I was using some other tools to view the exif data.

I just use Pinball Browser to burn the images. I started telling anyone who downloads any of my code changes to use PB when writing the image.

#5021 1 year ago
Quoted from monkeybug:

Where is the option in Pinball Browser to write an image? Sounds like it would be the better option.

When you first open Pinball browser, click on the smart DMD tab. Then choose the firmware file you want to use and the destination drive your memory card is in.

#5024 1 year ago

Right, I just overwrite my SD cards and do not prepare them in any way when writing the image.

#5034 1 year ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Having a sound crackling issue on my IMDN. Was running custom code on 1.08 with no issues. Updated to a newer 1.10 custom code and now during explosions and high pitched sounds the speakers sound distorted. I then downloaded a 1.10 SD image directly from Stern, but the crackling/distortion is still there. The music and audio sounds fine for the most part, it’s just the sounds effects are distorted. Thoughts on how to resolve this?

You can quickly check if your bottom cabinet speaker is "blown". Just had it happen last week on my Jurassic Park. Only some dialogue and some sounds, they would were really distorted. I thought it was an image issue too because I coincidentally just upgraded the software shortly prior.

Unplug the head speaker connection from the CPU board so that only the cabinet speaker plays. Still hear the sound? Then tap on the paper speaker cone and I bet it's not drum tight and is loose (which vibrates on certain frequencies or whatever and causes the distortion).

#5037 1 year ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Having a sound crackling issue on my IMDN. Was running custom code on 1.08 with no issues. Updated to a newer 1.10 custom code and now during explosions and high pitched sounds the speakers sound distorted. I then downloaded a 1.10 SD image directly from Stern, but the crackling/distortion is still there. The music and audio sounds fine for the most part, it’s just the sounds effects are distorted. Thoughts on how to resolve this?

djreddog any update?

1 month later
#5072 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinfan99:

I have had two software guys try to figure this out and we just can’t get it to work.. So frustrated with pinball browser.. either it won’t load from the USB stick or It seems to load but then when I turned the pinball machine back on the factory songs were on it with no modifications. There should be a tutorial on how to fucking get this thing to work. So pissed..

Like someone else already replied, you actually should not be using a USB stick at all during this process. SD card all the time. You need to use the full SD card image file from Stern, not the update.

Here's an easy way to make sure you are working on the right file. Updates have an .spk file extension and the full SD card image has a .raw extension after unzipped. You want to use the full SD card image to edit.

2 months later
#5128 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Wanted: Stern Jurassic Park PRO v1.05.0 Gamecode
Only 1.07.0 is available from Stern, and that version isn't compatible (sounds-wise, at least) with PB.
If you have a copy of the older version, I would love to hear from you.
Thanks!

Added 3 days ago: Gosh.
No one?
A very nice respondent offered me v1.05.0 of the custom/movie code, but I’m hoping to corral the stock code if possible.

Stock Pro 1.05 code for Jurassic Park.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:41b8955161571ea26719423dbb60c0440754327a&dn=jurassic_park_pro-1_05_0.Release.8G.sdcard.raw.zip

#5130 1 year ago

At this point, just play the stereo while playing pinball for custom soundtracks. I'm betting stuff is being worked on behind the scenes and why release any fix just for Stern to patch it in the following release? Wait until Stern has shown their cards.

2 months later
#5182 1 year ago

Sweet!

#5190 1 year ago

Achievements are neat the first two weeks you have the game in your house. After that, big fucking whoop.

Would be cool if there was an app to easily review all the possible achievements. I'd kinda like to have something to shoot for and reach. But right now it's just playing the game and then achievements pop up when you do shit. It's like, ok, I did that without realizing I was doing something worth an achievement.

#5193 1 year ago
Quoted from bart0404:

Putting pinball online is completely pointless. Its really about tracking and auditing for Stern. "Achievements". Pointless. You get multiball, you get a jackpot. Pinball is fun. Its not a PS5 you are playing a simple game that hasnt changed in 50 years. I will never connect my machines to the internet.

Novelty quickly wore off for me. A friend gave me an insider connected kit for free. So I'd swap it between my games and that didn't last long. Even on my games with it built-in, I rarely remember to sign in before starting a game.

1 week later
#5218 1 year ago

Just an FYI that Bond .84 code is "Unknown firmware" to PB.

#5220 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

has anybody made a custom code and got it running?
i did try to modify TMNT 1.54 pro and switched some videos. But when the videos should be played i get a frozen screen. Sometimes the machine just restarts.
So i was wondering if others got something running and have it play?

I have not yet.

2 weeks later
#5252 1 year ago
Quoted from cleland:

Getting random static on some samples in Stranger Things. Seem to be codec games with Stern again?

Yup. Any sounds that are static cannot be replaced.

#5257 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Sometimes opening a file the first time can take hours for me. The subsequent openings are really quick.

Really? I haven't had that happen ever.

#5260 1 year ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I'm also missing some sound files and am getting pops and clicks when uploading to the latest Star Wars Premium code

Bond has that also, but luckily were all very short length clips. There was one brief clip I would've liked to change that was static (assuming it was since I couldn't find it and many of those short clips were static.)

1 month later
#5297 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

So I was able to open FF fw but to your earlier point, static sounds play. What is the workaround or can I still just replace with music and it will sound OK?

I might prefer static than some Foo Fighters songs.

3 months later
#5361 8 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Great news! Did you figure out how to fix the static sound issue with this version? Stern seems to have been messing with the song files so the original is all static sounding. Thanks.

Here are my notes from checking Guardians of Galaxy code yesterday:

Still have static played on smaller audio clips (meaning the speech dialogue):

0x8df - 4s244ms
0x689 - 3s854ms
0x3f6 - distortion instead of static
0x80d
0x163 - distortion

Here's a new big deal though. Distortion on 0x32 2m58s815ms, 0x6c and 0x68, all instances of the Jackson 5 song. I stopped searching for more instances once I found this song broken. No point in changing anything now if the main song is FUBARed.

3 weeks later
#5399 8 months ago

Deleted. My error.

#5408 8 months ago

Stern released Jurassic Park code 1.11 today and Pinball Browser will need an update to open it. Unknown firmware message.

#5410 8 months ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Microsoft defender is blocking the latest release from being unzipped. This is the first time its been blocked for me
[quoted image]

Yes, I have that on 8.33 and 8.34 and had to allow access.

1 month later
#5436 6 months ago

Any ideas about this error I receive when trying to import a video?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SvmDbZ0GVGAKmdVa4p0HAulx3xjSjKlU/view?usp=sharing

2 weeks later
#5446 5 months ago
Quoted from monkeybug:

Does anyone know what the last value on an image is?
The example here is an image that is 204 by 172 pixels. But what does the 5 mean?
[quoted image]

I'm not sure, but I know to identity it as the same when I see another image with the same suffix.

#5455 5 months ago
Quoted from DystopicPinball:

I open the stock firmware .raw file with PinballBrowser. I add 1 video and i close pinballbrowser with X button.
Then with win32diskimager i burn the .raw file to the SD.
Before press the X button to close pinballbrowser, it's necessary to press the button SAVE AS or the "Close firmware" ?
thanks

I always choose Close Firmware and wait a few seconds before either closing Pinball Browser or switching to the SmartDMD tab to write the image. Try just writing the image with Pinball Browser, I never use anything else to write the images.

#5456 5 months ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

I'm wondering if anybody has mapped which call outs and sound effects have been used in TWD code?
I've only just started using pinball browser and I'm attempting to modify the sound / music on the latest Walking Dead Premium code, but trying to identify which zombie growls and random call outs have been used in the actual game is doing my head in!
Any help with identifying these and their sound script numbers would be greatly appreciated.

When the Walking Dead file opens, are you asked if you want to search online for bookmarks? You might get lucky and someone already bookmarked them.

2 weeks later
#5470 5 months ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

I'm posting this purely in an effort to try to help others. I honestly have spent an ungodly amount of hours editing and re-editing, uploading and re-uploading songs in pinball browser and I was unable to remove these "pops" that I keep hearing in certain songs. I have now been informed that this is something that cannot be changed. This is an issue with Stern and not with my song selections or with my editing skills or with pinball browser itself. I'm not complaining about pinball browser. I think it's an amazing program and it works GREAT. But people should know that if they hear these pops it can't be edited out. If I had known this ahead of time it would have saved me many hours of frustration

Rush Pro code had those pops in some clips that I wanted to silence. This was the "shooter lane" callouts added recently and then on the latest code it's allowed to disable those shooter lane callouts, so moot point with what I was trying to do. But yeah, fucking annoying.

Did not have any pops when updating Led Zep or Jurassic code though.

#5473 5 months ago

He’s not yet writing the image to the SD card thought, right? Just replacing a video and then the other videos disappear?

I have to work on my updates to the newest codes and will see if something similar happens.

#5481 4 months ago
Quoted from monkeybug:

Does anyone have any tips on importing images with transparent backgrounds?
I am creating some images, saving in PNG format with transparency but when it gets imported it seems to get converted into a proprietary PBI format which pixelates the images and leaves a lot of artifacts. The resulting image looks like a bit of a mess. It seems to only be when transparency is involved.

I could use those tips as well. I remember trying to make some changes on a game, can’t remember which one, but ran into the same issues you did.

1 month later
#5535 3 months ago
Quoted from RyThom:

I keep getting an Unknown Firmware error message when trying to open Iron Maiden 1.15.

Download the image file from Stern again. I had that happen with another firmware recently.

3 months later
#5567 12 days ago

Bond .99 works.

#5569 6 days ago

And of course Stern release Foo Fighters 1.02 yesterday, so that will need to be added.

#5571 6 days ago

That was fast! Thanks!

I wanted to get to work on Foo Fighters Live code and now I can. Replacing the songs with their live versions to mix it up. The band is supposed to be playing live in all the cities during gameplay anyway.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,575 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 12.95
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Papillion, NE
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PoMC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images?tu=PoMC and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.