5 (resized).png
4 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Description of capabilities and download link. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #600 How to find the names of the lamp matrix locations. Posted by oga83 (10 years ago)

Post #858 Video on how to replace a song. Posted by Underspin (10 years ago)

Post #1432 Macro function explained. Posted by oga83 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DugFreez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I have modified my AC/DC browser.
It can now browse all the images that can be displayed on the dot matrix.
[EDIT]It should work with all Stern SAM firmwares (I tried AC/DC Avatar, Avengers, Tron, Iron Man, XMen, Transformers, Tron and Rolling Stones)
Select your firmware and click on "Firmware analysis".
And the best is that you can also modify these images ([EDIT]as long as there is free space) :
Just choose the pinball image you want to modify, choose a jpeg, and patch your firmware
[EDIT]
You can modify all "Raster-12" images (the type is displayed above the scrollbar).
For other types, you are limited by the free available space in the firmware.
As I only have an AC/DC pinball, I didn't test the patch for real on other pinballs.
Let me know how it works on your pinball !
It can be downloaded at : http://www.sendspace.com/file/pjm773
To begin, I suggest you modify the Stern logo that scrolls when the pinball is idle (just after the high scores).
When you flash the patched firmware, it will end with a message saying that there was a problem (because of a bad file crc). Anyway, it works.
Here is an example with one of my photos :

[EDIT] Screen shots of the app :

Happy mod !
Post edited by oga83 : New version for all SAM firmwares

Cool work.

...but crashes on Spider-Man 2.6 rom. "Unknown Firmware!"

#86 10 years ago

oga83, any thoughts on export functions?

So instead of having to do a "Print Screen" capture you could just pick a frame and copy or export it? Another nice and similar feature would be if you could select X frame through x frame to export as a .gif file or some other type of animation.

Just something to think about. I'm really enjoying the program. I did play around with some patching (with mixed results) some images looked skewed when I reopened a patched ROM, but I haven't tried flashing any of them on my game yet.

Thanks for the innovative work you have done so far.

UPDATE: I was also just thinking if you could export the screen you are looking to replace, you would have a better idea of the size and ratio of the picture you should be choosing to patch in there. You wouldn't have to worry about the program "injecting" it and changing the aspect ratio or stretching it out. You would know what would work best in that location and get your picture ready before the program had to reshape / stretch / re-size it.

#96 10 years ago

Here is the description of the issue I have. Keep in mind that in all examples I have used the same picture (a 100 x 100 pixel 96 dpi 24 bit .jpeg).

test 1 is of the pic just as I loaded it in the ROM and patched it.
test 2 is what the pic looks like when I reload that patched ROM with the browser.
test 3 is the same pic loaded to a different location on the ROM but when I just loaded it.
test 4 is that same pic after I reloaded that patched ROM.

I have a few questions. since the first smaller picture is skewed after being patched in on the browser...will it also be skewed (and looks as it does in the browser) if flashed to the game?

What is making the small pic replacement skewed and the bigger one is fine? Is it the size? Is it because the small original pic was "Raster-0" and the bigger one was "Compressed-7"?

test_1.jpgtest_1.jpg test_2.jpgtest_2.jpg test_3.jpgtest_3.jpg test_4.jpgtest_4.jpg

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

v1.44 : Support for earlier SAM games

Wondering what specific games this means.

#157 10 years ago

oga83, any idea as to why luvthatapex2 can open Spider-Man 2.6 (see a few posts before this) with your browser and I continue to get an error when attempting to open it?

The Spider-Man firmware is named the same and I'm using 1.46 of your browser.

#159 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I can also open SPD.
Try to download it again, it might be corrupted.
What message do you have when you click on "Firmware Analysis" ?

Strange stuff.

The 2.6 software I was trying is one I had on my hard drive. It had a different modification date as the one on Sterns site. They are both showing as 2.6 and both have the same CRC, but the one I have saved won't load in the browser. It first showed a "could not open" error and then a "unknown firmware" error.

The 2.6 that is on Stern's site now will load in the browser.

Seems strange that 2 files having the same version, size and CRC would behave differently.

#162 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

With everyone waiting on the fiber mod for Tron, this is easily the most exciting thing on Pinside right now. Features are being implemented so fast it boggles the mind.

It makes me wonder why Stern needs months between software updates. They have the actual development tools and a team of programers.

Oh, a bug that is spotted 2 minutes after your first game? Oh...well get used to that...it will be months before it gets fixed!

#163 10 years ago
Quoted from Deadpool66:

Anyone inserted a custom song yet?

Probably not since it isn't possible....yet.

#172 10 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Sounds are just a tiny, tiny bit too slow.
HUGE improvement over previous versions, though.
Export function works fantastic!
Really having fun with this program...

I agree with all of this. Sound is still a bit off, but much improved and the export feature on the sound is great.

Thanks again oga83, for the great program and incredibly fast growth that is has made in such a short time.

#188 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

So, I recompiled the app with this, and it's better (although a little too quick and sharp)
Please try v1.51, and tell me

You are right on there. 1.51 is much closer to the mark than 1.50 was, but as you said, a little too quick now.

All and all, 1.51 still sounds much closer to the real thing than 1.50 did.

Thanks again.

#189 10 years ago

Oga83, I have a couple of questions.

I was toying around and exported a DMD frame (png). Then I touched the frame up (with smiles) and saved it as a png. Then when I went to import it back into the program I only had an option to import a jpg. So I went back and saved the touched up image as a jpg. Then the image imported fine...the issue is the image quality. See example below:

If I were to flash this patched firmware on the game would the image quality be that bad on the game?

Why only allow the import of jpg when png is the export format?

My next question involves patching a firmware. I noticed in an earlier version it would rename and save the patched firmware in a different folder. Why did you decide to change that. It seems over writing an original firmware by mistake could happen much easier now.

BeforePNG.jpgBeforePNG.jpg AfterJPG.jpgAfterJPG.jpg

#191 10 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I'm sure typing in the *.png extension was just a general windows tip I should have known already but I didn't. It allowed me to import the touched up png image and it looks great.

I must have been mistaken about your older versions moving patched roms to a different location. I thought it created a "patched" folder in the original rom folder and also put "patched" at the end of the file name. Your explanation on why you took out the renaming makes sense and a user will still get the "file overwrite" warning to prevent them from overwriting a file by mistake.

Thanks again.

I was also wondering about the white bar that is on a lot of the DMD frames. Is this caused by your program or is this the way the info in the firmware is? I was thinking maybe this bottom line of each image is not displayed by the DMD at all?

white_bar.jpgwhite_bar.jpg

#210 10 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Has anyone found any Xmen deadpool related sounds or images hidden that have not been used yet? I haven't kept up with this whole thread. Good stuff, though.

No Deadpool stuff. Which is a bit scary since the Dark Phoenix animations have been in the code since 1.1 and still haven't been used.

Content wise it looks like very little stuff has been added to the X-Men code from 1.1 to 1.24. A cool Dazzler extra ball animation and a Kitty Pryde Super Skill shot animation...neither of which has been used yet.

#211 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If I can use this to change the "evidence collected" sound on CSI, oga83 is my new hero!

I love that sound effect.

#217 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It's sound 0x4C in the CSI ROM. Sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me!

That's the one. It always stood out as a sound effect that I really liked.

#218 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks Oga83 for continuing to update this awesome app.
Has anyone tried replacing any one of the 12 songs in ACDC yet?

If I were an AC/DC owner the first thing I would try would be to replace the live tracks on the attract mode jukebox to studio tracks that aren't used in the game. It would be a cool thing and unintuitive to the gameplay. FM = songs used in the game AM = other AC/DC hits that aren't in the game.

#221 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Okay, I just burned my new CSI ROM with replaced sound, and it worked great.
oga83, YOU DA MAN!!!

So did you just pick another sound to use from the rom or something of your own?

#225 10 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

I'm playing around with importing sounds and I'm getting a lot of noise. The wav sounds fine when I output from audacity and just listen to the wav in windows, but once I import and playback, lots of noise, to the point where it wouldn't sound very good. Any suggestions?

0x15 on AC/DC and X-Men. I believe all of the universal system sound are at the beginning of each file.

#228 10 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

Not having a problem locating anything. I just looked what I wrote, let me explain better.

I just quoted back to the wrong guy. I meant to reply to:

Quoted from caker137:

Has anyone found the replay digital knocker sound? Surely we can make a better sounding fake knocker.

with:

0x15 on AC/DC and X-Men. I believe all of the universal system sound are at the beginning of each file.

#229 10 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

Not having a problem locating anything. I just looked what I wrote, let me explain better.
So in Avengers I am going straight to 0x2B7, where Nick Fury says "Clint Barton, Codename Hawkeye!". I have a WAV file ripped directly from the Blu-Ray and I try to import Sam Jackson saying "Agent Barton, Report". When I import the Sam Jackson quote, I get a bunch of noise.
I ruled out this being the wav file I ripped from the Blu-Ray. I actually exported the sound at 0x2B7 ("Clint Barton, Codename Hawkeye!") and simply re-imported the exact same sound. And then I load the patched firmware and play the 0x2B7 location and there is noise. So it looks like upon import of a WAV at 24000Hz, whether it's exported from the original firmware or something you provide from a movie rip, the import function is adding noise into the file you are trying to import.

I'm with you there.

I exported a sound clip from X-Men and didn't alter it. It sounds fine in windows media player, but when I Import it into the program and save then reload it, it's staticy with a small pop at the end.

#239 10 years ago

oga83 (or anyone else for that matter) I was wondering if you knew what is the best way to describe these DMD image requirements to make them look as good as standard?

What I mean is this: If I were to ask my friend that is a graphic designer that I would want him to make me a custom logo to replace the Stern logo. I'm guessing I would say it was best if made as a 128 x 73 png file, but how would I describe the color limitations? How many colors do these DMD images have? Is there a particular name that describes this color scale that they use for DMD images?

If I were just touching up an image I would user other colors from the same image using a color picker in the art program, but if someone were making an image from scratch...it would be nice to be able to better describe the color limitations to them.

Any help on this question is appreciated.

As for program suggestions...it looks like you have some good things coming. Understanding what sound clips are used in the same situation should really be helpful in customizing firmwares.

I really hope you can get the sound re-importing cleaned up. I don't notice any loss in quality when exporting them (but the loss in quality may be there), but it is very noticeable when putting an exported sound clip back in a firmware. I am guessing that if I did do any customization...most of it would probably be pulling sounds from one place in the firmware and putting it in another or possibly exporting it from one game to put in another.

Thanks again! I can't say I've ever seen a program grow and evolve as quickly as your project has.

#242 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

3- Use a gray scale image (the app will convert the image to 4-bit gray scale)

I think this is mainly what I was looking for.

#243 10 years ago

I think later tonight I may flash my first custom firmware. I changed a couple of sound effects in the settings menu and I also have a pic made up to replace the scrolling Stern screen. I'm anxious to see how it looks on the DMD. Here is the pix in the browser:

Female_X-Men.jpgFemale_X-Men.jpg

#246 10 years ago

I did my first custom firmware flash and ended up with about what I expected.

The picture I imported over the Stern logo just wasn't designed for a DMD. I had it pre-sized to the correct size, in a png image format and already in grayscale. The picture itself just has way too many colors to be effective...and though it looks OK in the browser program (not great...see above 2 post) it doesn't look good on the games DMD. Phoenix shows up best because she has more of a light / dark contrast than the other 3.

The menu icon I changed come out rather well and you can't tell it isn't factory.

I also replaced a sound effect in the setting menu. In the browser it was of noticeably lower audio quality after the re-import into the firmware. In the game it sounded fine, but I really should have tried a custom sound somewhere else in the game. X-Men has always had an issue with the settings menu sounds being very quiet compared to the rest of the game (just let those bugs ride Stern...it's only been almost a year). So I really don't know if my re-imported custom sound really sounds OK...or it just sounds OK because it is so quiet.

I did get the update error after the update (as expected) but the game kept all of my settings and scores and did not overwrite them. That leads me to a question...

oga83, if you were to make the program so the game update did not get the error at the end, would the game go completely through the post flash reboot and possibly then it would reset all of the scores and settings? If that would be the case....I would rather have the error and save my scores and setting. Or at least have an option in your program if you wanted to deal with the error and save setting or have a complete error free update and reset all of the settings and scores.

I know I updated X-Men 1.24 over X-Men 1.24 before because it had some strange game behavior...and that reset everything (scores, settings, strange behavior).

// Error: Image 105060 not found // // Error: Image 105061 not found //

#248 10 years ago

I have tried all of the current SAM game codes with the program. If a Pro and LE / Premium was available I just tried the LE / Premium code. I found a few that I couldn't get to load:

Family Guy
Pirates of the Caribbean
Wheel of Fortune
World Poker Tour
Kooky Carnival Redemption (not a pin but I thought it would be fun to poke around in it)

Shrek I could get to load, but it didn't have any game specific DMD images showing, just general menu icons and fonts.

Family_Guy_Error.jpgFamily_Guy_Error.jpg

#257 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I have also tested that multi-fragments sounds can also be replaced.
Some precisions :
- The sound track duration cannot be changed. If your file is too long, it will be cut; if it is too short, there will be no sound for the remaining time.
- To get a 24000 Hz WAV file, you can use Audacity : open your file, choose 'Project at 24000' at the bottom left of the window, and then 'Export to WAV' in the File menu.

I tried this and ran into a small problem that I thought I would share. I used Audacity to conver a MP3 I had. After I chose to export it (as a WAV) a box popped up that had tag information about the song (track name, artist name, ripped with itunes, ect). So I just clicked OK and let it ride.

Then when I went to import the WAV the Pinball Browser gave me a "this wav file is empty" "Can not use" error or something like that. So I checked the file and it played fine with Windoes Media Player. The I opened it again with Audacity and it showed as a 24000 hz WAV and played fine. I went to export again and this time when I got the the popup window with the tag information I cleared everything from the tag (there was a clear button) then saved it.

After removing the tag info from the wav it imported fine in Pinball Browser.

So just a little tip to pass on to anyone if they have this problem when importing.

#260 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Generic Marge & Lisa callouts for TSPP too please

TSPP was Whitestar (Pre SAM System) so this program won't work for it.

#264 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

Here's a sample of converting an image using oga83's 16 color palette parameters.
Sure it isn't perfect, but I slapped it together fairly quickly. Large version for viewing, small version is 128x32 pixels and probably could be converted to BMP in your image editor and put into a game. I just googled "wolverine" and "xmen logo" to find images to play with, they are also below for reference.

I was hoping you could help me out with this image editing. I have used nothing but MS Paint. Is there a way in Paint to convert an image to the suggested color pallet? If not...what is a good program to use? Preferably free.

Keep in mind I am not interested in drawing anything myself....just converting color images to the correct 16 color pallet that was suggested.

Thanks

#265 10 years ago

oga83, much improvement with the sound quality as far as exporting a sound from one place and importing it to another.

I did a pretty heavy job on my X-Men adding sounds from other games and also music from my MP3s. It all came out pretty well. I did see after my first attempt that I needed to take better care with balancing the volumes on each sound and song.

I was also wondering...I notice that the WAV files that are exported are stereo. This seems strange since SAM games are only mono. Are the sounds in the firmwares true stereo, just 2 mono tracks (fake stereo) or are the wavs that are output just stereo because of the way your program exports them.

I was wondering if converting a stereo mp3 to a mono wav would be beneficial over converting it to a stereo wav to import?...or would that be a bad thing?

#271 10 years ago

oga83, I have another suggestion.

I see in version 1.65 that you have the the window that shows the lumped together sound requests. When you select the sound request from that window by highlighting it....it automatically moves the slider above it to the correct position for that sound.

I was wondering if you could have the same thing, but in reverse. What I mean is...if you are using the slider and find a sound effect....can you make that auto highlight in the lower window so you can see all of it's related request sounds?

As it is now, as you scroll down the list in the window (on the X-Men LE firmware anyway) the slider jumps all over the place. So without the feature I suggested...it can make it tricky finding all of the same request sounds if you run into the sound by using the slider.

It's a bit tricky to describe, but it basically boils down to tying the window to a slider selection, just as the slider is already tied to a window selection.

I think this would make it a bit easier to find sounds and their related sound request group.

Thanks again for your work. I am thinking of starting a thread with some simple tutorials on getting sound clips prepared to import using Audacity. I am still experimenting with getting sound level set and things like that, but I figured some simple tips on how to convert mp3s may be helpful.

#273 10 years ago

I posted a basic tutorial on converting sound files to the compatible format to import in the Pinball Browser here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-getting-sound-files-ready-for-pinball-browser#post-910706

#274 10 years ago

Bug Report?

I have been playing with X-Men LE 1.24 and noticed some music was missing. I had searched the entire slider of sound and didn't find them.

Then I started going through the request lists and found them.

It looks like the slider doesn't go far enough to the right or something. The farthest the sound slider will go to the right is position 0x3E3. If you look at request 28 it shows a file at 0x3EB (which is beyond the sliders range).

It will play the files that are beyond the sliders range, but only if select them from the request list.

Others requests I found beyond the slider range were:

33 0x3E4
34 0x3E5
46 0x3E6
47 0x3E7
48 0x3E9
51 0x3E4
64 0x3E5

There may be more, but that is all I ran into.

After looking some more I see that there is a file at 0x3EA and 0x3E8 that neither have a request (that I could see) nor could be reached with the slider. The only way I found them was to first select request 28 and then click the left button on the slider. This got to them even though they are normally out of the sliders range.

#288 10 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Getting ready for the first trial run on this program...heading to flash my Stern Batman.
(I replaced the three main music themes...which I think are pretty awful. It's like they wanted to sound like a Batman theme, but without getting sued...so it comes off as Batman-ish, but 100% awful).
I messed around with the "Molossus" track off of the first soundtrack (ie: Tumbler rooftop chase from the first movie). I got three pretty good "themes" out of there, and was able to get them to sound decent at the loop.
I'll use those to replace the Ball 1 theme, the Ball 2 theme, and the Final ball theme. I'm leaving the rest as-is for now.
If this works, I'll start replacing "Fake Batman" with Kevin Conroy, and "Fake Alfred" with....dear god, anything.
Wish me luck.
Pete

Good luck. I'm surprised you got so deep into getting things ready before giving it a small test flash. Let us know how it goes.

On a related note...no need to worry about looping "Ride the Lightning" if you want it to play instead of "Creeping Death" during Electric Chair multiball on Metallica....they are the same length. I like Creeping Death better as a song, but I have to say Ride the Lightning is a much more fitting song in that scenario. I just wish I had a Met to see how well it works or doesn't work with the song breaks.

PS: "Blackened" fits nicely in "The Unforgiven" time slot if you trim the intro a bit.

#290 10 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Oh, I'm just a big baby that didn't want to lose my high scores or audits. =)
(I took down all those notes before flashing it. I'm a stat junkie).
It worked...but the audio was way too soft. (I tried pumping it up beforehand, but it still couldn't keep up with the things I didn't remove).
I tried again, this time cranking up the volume in audacity...even hitting some peak reds. I also adjusted the treble to make the main theme "stand out" a little bit better. That trial worked better....but I think I can still make improvements.
I'll keep playing around with Audacity and this awesome program by oga83.
Pete

I have flashed 2 or 3 times and all of my scores and settings stayed. I figured this was because the error after the update. I figured as long as the update wasn't finalized it keeps all settings, scores and audits (that's just a guess though).

The music that is imported does seem to vary a lot. I have maxed the volume out on all of the music I have imported with Audacity (max volume without red lining). Some sound like they are mixed well with the original music and others (most) are way to quiet.

#295 10 years ago

Right.
You want to compress your audio. It makes the "average" louder.

Thanks for that tip. I think I see how to do that in Audacity and just with some quick toying around I understand how this would help with the low volume issue.

I took some screen shots to compare:

The top track is exported directly from the game software.

The second one down is an MP3 that has been converted to the proper format for importing into Pinball Browser. The volume has been adjusted to the max that it can before red lining and causing distortion in the peaks. No compression has been applied.

The third track is the same as the one above it except compression has been applied.

You can see that after the compression it look much more like the one that is taken from the software. I didn't tweak the compression and it does to have a bit more compression than what the software version has. It looks like it would be about the same volume overall, but not as dynamic as the original.

Audacity did have quite a bit of adjustments in the compression settings. I will probably play around with them a bit and add this info to my audio conversion tutorial thread. Aurich and vid1900...thanks for the info.

Compression_demo.jpgCompression_demo.jpg

#296 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

I just got back from Vacation and I am seeing the very cool program.
There is hope for me to get AC/DC Dirty Deeds in my pin.
Great work!

I wish I had an AC/DC to toy with. The first thing I would do is replace all of the A.M. Stations (live songs) on the attract jukebox to AC/DC greatest hits that aren't included on the game....and yes, Dirty Deeds would defiantly be one of them.

#300 10 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

This is proving to be much more difficult than anticipated.
For example, I am trying to replace 'sad but true' with a good song.
The problem is that the song is split up into 35 different clips of varying lengths,
from Request 785 - 820.
If I were to replace the song, I imagine I would have to replace each and every segment with another of the same duration.
Is this the case? If so, MET will be too much effort to convert.
I was also wondering about the wording on the song selection radio.
There are no programmed "words" on the DMD, just letters that are configured in particular patterns. Not that it matters at the moment, but I haven't been able to find out where or how to change the song title displays.

This isn't the case.

Ex: I replaced Blackened for The Unforgiven. The only track I replaced is REQUEST 1019 (aka 0x300 on the slide bar). This automatically replaced all of the The Unforgiven snippets.

It seems that MOST of the songs have 2 FULL LENGTH sound locations on the software (ex: The Unforgiven has REQUEST 1019 & REQUEST 1040). I don't know why they have 2 requests and 2 locations, but it seems if you replace 1 it over writes the second and all of the snippets.

Here is a list of the request locations (and lengths) I have found for each full song:

Battery: 308 & 330 5m09s956ms
Creeping Death: 394 & 427 6m34s629ms
Enter Sandman: 465 & 485 5m30s489ms
Fade to Black: 537 6m56s721ms
For Whom the Bell Tolls: 590 & 604 5m09s297ms
Fuel: 628, 639, & 642 4m29s131ms
Master of Puppets: 688 & 712 8m32s911ms
One: 756 7m24s715ms
Sad But True: 807 & 79 5m23s807ms
Seek and Destroy: 877 & 906 6m50s180ms
End of the Line: 954 & 979 7m51s403ms
The Unforgiven: 1019 & 1040 6m26s335ms

Also keep in mind that when I replaced Creeping Death (394) and The Unforgiven (1019) I replaced their first request / location. I don't know if it would make a difference if you replaced the first or one of the later requests, but I do know that replacing the first "complete" song automatically replaced all of the song parts that that I was replacing.

You will also notice when you look at the entire songs info under the scroll bar...it has more fragments than any of it's song snippets. I'm guessing all of the snippets get thir info from these complete song locations.

#304 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

This is great news DugFreez! Nice discovery! How did it sound with the song replacements, did you like it? Did it add variety to the gameplay?

I don't even have a Metallica. I've just been playing with the program. I do have friends that are supposed to be getting a Premium and they were asking about "Ride the Lightning" instead of "Creeping Death" because it seems better suited for the eclectic chair multiball. It just so happens they are almost exactly the same length.

I got it imported fine, but I will probably go back and re-adjust the compression and volume on the WAV as described a few posts back.

I am interested to hear how a swapped song works myself (with the song snippets and everything).

I am hoping a Met owner can help me with something. What songs are there to choose from when you start a game?

I was also wondering....oga83? Do you think Pinball Browser game specific discussion is good on this thread or would you rather this thread stay Pinball Browser "general discussion" and other threads be started with specifics?

#305 10 years ago

Dug how does it sound?
Does the song replay from the beginning every time after drain?
How is the volume and overall sound quality?
AWESOME!!

The imported song should behave just as the original song does as long as you get it the same length. All of the songs I have toyed with have been the same length as the song that was getting replaced...so I haven't really messed with any song looping or anything.

As for the sound quality...I imported several songs in my X-Men. The sound quality was good, but the volume was a bit low. The volume being low varied a bit from song to song. I'm sure that can be improved by using dynamic range compression as was suggested earlier. I would guess if you took some time with the replacement songs they would sound as good as original.

#307 10 years ago

Everything but END OF THE LINE

That's kinda good and kinda bad I guess. I was hoping the songs I was replacing were ones that just played at certain times.

I don't know anything, but I'm guessing changing the coding to actually display the name of the replaced song isn't going to be happening anytime soon. That seems like it would be in a whole different area of modifying the software...but who knows. This program come out of nowhere and has grown / evolved / got polished so much in a 2 or 3 week period. Maybe a program to "change everything" is right around the corner.

#311 10 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

I never got an error after the update...it rewrote everything, with all settings/scores lost.

I thought the program was changed so it WOULDN'T have an error. Would almost rather keep the error, and save the audits/settings.

I have flashed with 2 or 3 versions of Pinball Browser that I know of. After everyone it says there was an error and asks if I want to try again. I turn off the game, unplug the USB and then flip dipswitch 8 back to it's normal position. Then I turn the game on and it boots as normal (with the modified code).

I know oga83 mentioned working on getting rid of the post flash error, but I never saw it mentioned again or showing as being added in any of the versions.

If the post flash error is what keeps the game from overwriting the scores / settings / audits I would rather keep the error or at least have an option to have the error and keep your info or do an error free flash and overwrite everything.

#321 10 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Very cool. Watching this thread with hgih level of excitement.

I don't mean to pick on you....but what are you watching for? DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

I have already modified a Metallica firmware and I don't even have a Metallica. I have flashed my X-Men LE 2 or 3 times with modified firmware, but don't have a camera to upload vids.

I'm actually surprised to only see the AC/DC owner above that has uploaded videos of cool modified software. The time is now, seize the day, make it so, do what you want, DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

#330 10 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

So just to be clear, if I add some new songs to ACDC, I won't lose my scores/settings right? Because I thought someone earlier said they did?

It sounds like it must vary from game to game. I have flashed my X-Men LE 3 times and I still have all of my settings and scores.

I do believe though, if I decided to go back to the stock software I would loose everything then.

#331 10 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

One idea I had is to add songs to replace live versions only. So you primarily hear game as released but hear others during attract mode using radio button.

That would be my first task if I had and AC/DC...which I don't. That being said, I was hoping an AC/DC owner could help me out with some attract mode jukebox questions.

So if you select a song on the attract mode jukebox...what does it do after it plays that song? Does it move on to another song or just stop after it is done? Can you interrupt a song part way through....or is it like a true jukebox (you select it and it played all the way through...any other selections play afterwards)?

I have seen the jukebox feature, but only toyed with it a brief bit. Just a general description of how it works and behaves would be appreciated.

#336 10 years ago

During jukebox mode, you can change songs at will with the flipper buttons and end the mode by pressing both at the same time. After the song is over it does not go to another song. You have to do that manually. If you leave it sit, it goes back to standard attract mode.

That sounds like it would be good for folks wanting to add different songs to the jukebox. As long as you add a song that is shorter than the live original you should be good to go. Having a bunch of silence at the end to fill the time wouldn't be an issue since it doesn't go to another song anyway.

I think I would keep FM as original studio songs that are used in the game and AM as other studio greatest hits that aren't originally used in the game.

#343 10 years ago

Hmmm. Just tried my update and my machine said update failed. One of the songs I used to replace a studio track was a bit shorter then the original. Not sure if that did it. I also didn't reformat my thumb drive. I last used my thumb drive to update to 1.65. I deleted the official release from the drive and copied over my patched 1.65 and then attempted the update.

When using Pinball Browser it always says the update failed after a flash. I just press the back button one time in the coin door so you are again on the original boot rom screen. Then turn the game off, remove the USB stick and move dip switch 8 back to it's normal position. Then turn your game back on.

I have been adding a modified icon in the setting screens so I can easily go in and see that the modified update is in place (SEE BELOW).

Image-69.jpgImage-69.jpg

#344 10 years ago

I finally found a good Wolverine image to replace the 128 x 73 Stern logo on my Wolverine LE. I'm not sure if pinside will convert the PNG or resize it or anything, but if it doesn't it should be good to go to import. Pinball Browser will auto size and grayscale it when importing. It's already the correct aspect ration so it won't stretch or distort.

Classic_Wolverine_sized.pngClassic_Wolverine_sized.png Wolvie.jpgWolvie.jpg

#345 10 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

I'm so confused with replacing songs in ACDC. I was thinking there would be one Request per song, but they seem to be split into pieces? One that's an intro of the song, another that's either a complete song, or part of the song, sometimes it includes the beginning, other times it doesn't, and then occasionally a third request for the rest of the song? Occasionally there are also repeats, but of a slightly different length too, wtf.

It seems that if you replace the longest version of a song...it will automatically replace all of the smaller song pieces. I believe all of the smaller sound clips are actually getting their info from the complete song location.

ex: replace the song in AC/DC location 0x192 (originally the entire length Thunderstruck) and it will automatically change the clips at location 0x190 & 0x191 with clips from the new song.

So the key is to make sure you find the longest and most complete version of the original song to replace.

PS: Don't worry about replacing the requests (in the window) as mush as you do tracking down the longest song location on the slide bar and replacing it.

Another PS: This also seems to be true for Metallica.

#360 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

With version 1.70, you can modify the message table
Most of the texts are in this table (mainly the ones that are multi-lingual), but some are not.
Go to the 'Messages' tab, choose you language, double-click on a message and enter a new text.
The length of a message can be shortened, and sometimes enlarged (there is a constraint on the entry so that you cannot enter too long text). Never remove 'printf' patterns like %d, %lu, %s, ... or the pinball program will crash...

Great job, once again. I do have a quick suggestion for an added feature after flipping through the messages feature a bit.

Could you add a "find" feature for the messages tab? A window to type in what you are looking for and also a "next" and "previous" button to cycle through found results?

#381 10 years ago
Quoted from vex:

except the superb maiden art would be missing.

Not if someone redid the dots (which is possible with Pinball Browser) and re-did the playfield, translite, and cabinet art.

I expect to see big things from this small (only 56KB) program, but a complete re-theme will take time.

I think there needs to be a "Re-Theme by Expo 2013" competition.

#384 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Can we summarize (please correct me if I get anything wrong)
If you replace a song, and it's longer it gets cut off, if it's too short you get dead air at the end
I'm assuming if you replace animation, it has to be the same number of frames?
Not saying a retheme isn't impossible on existing Sterns, but beyond rules it could be somewhat limiting?
Maybe I'll play around with this and see if I can make some custom animation

Limiting is one term...challenging is another.

I found replacing Creeping Death with Ride the Lightning on Metallica was a no brainier. They were the same length. Oddly enough Creeping Death is what plays during Electric Chair Multiball. So what is more fitting during Electric Chair Multiball... a song about a plague in Egypt or a song about an getting killed in an electric chair?

Replacing the live tracks during the attract juke box in AC/DC seem to be very simple as long as you put in a shorter song.

The biggest drawback in my mind was the DMD had the title of one some when you selected the added other song...that is no longer an issue. The DMD can be matched with the song selected.

I would agree that a complete re-theme would be a challenge as of now, but I think with work it would be possible. I also think AC/DC and Metallica for another band would be the easiest route to do this.

Rock! Rock On!

#396 10 years ago

oga83, I have run into an issue when I was trying to modify a message on my X-Men software.

Looking through the texts that are in the game I can see that they are sectioned up by modes on X-Men. My goal was to replace a picture of Wolverine in the Xavier mode with a picture of Shadowcat. That part went fine.

The next step was to replace the text "WOLVERINE" in the Xavier mode section to "SHADOWCAT". That changed fine...but what I noticed is it also changed the text "WOLVERINE" that was any place in the software with "SHADOWCAT" instead of just replacing the one location I needed changed.

In this case...that would pretty much wreck the software...as "WOLVERINE" is used a lot and it should only be changed to "SHADOWCAT" in the one specific place.

So is there anyway to make it so the changed text is only changed in the specified location that a user manually changes it?

On the pictures below I have the text I mean to change highlighted. The red circled areas are other places where "WOLVERINE" is used and the green circled area is the Xavier mode section of the software. You can see in the second pic that the other "WOLVERINE" locations that I didn't want to change were automatically changed to "SHADOWCAT".

NameExampleBEFORE.jpgNameExampleBEFORE.jpg NameExampleAFTER.jpgNameExampleAFTER.jpg

#398 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

This is because each message is made of 5 pointers (1 for each language), and several pointers can point to the same string. I'll see what can be done (using free memory), however it would be very difficult to know where each message is used in the game.

That's a bit over my head.

I figured the info at the right of the window (0x5DF) meant that message was it's own and that was it's location and I was surprised to see it have any connection to any of the other messages with a different number / location.

I know in Metallica and AC/DC if the longest song file is replaced, it also replaces the smaller sound clips of that song. That makes sense to me...as it shows right in the browser that the long song clips are made up of many segments. I assume that these smaller clips get their info from different segments of those large clips.

I can understand that if a game uses "WOLVERINE" many times...that there may just be one "WOLVERINE" message in the software and all uses of it are just taken from the same location. It just seems odd that if a message is in one location and changed...it automatically changes others.

As I said...over my head. I hope you can find a way around this. I have really only looked around the message section of X-Men, but it seems pretty well organized as far as knowing what messages are for what modes. I am sure the one I changed in the picture above is the one that does need changed for Xavier mode...I just wasn't expecting the other changes to come with it.

Thanks for listening and thanks again for the program.

#400 10 years ago

oga83, I have another round of questions for you.

I am still tinkering with the Xavier mode in X-Men. The way the mode works is 1 of 23 characters are selected at random and the DMD displays an outline of this characters picture. When you hit the shot that is associated with this character...it reveals the characters picture and displays their name.

When these character pictures are exported with Pinball Browser they are in a square shape with white surrounding them. I tried to replace a file just like that, but when the mode started...instead of showing the outline of the new character it was just a square. When the character was revealed....it displayed correctly, but only after I had changed the white area surrounding her to a black one. Otherwise she was being displayed in a box.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the game using transparencies on the original character images in the game. I'm also guessing since all imported images are Raster-12 maybe they can not have these transparencies???

What is your theory on why it behaves this way or anyway to get around it?

After I did get the added character to come up in the game and did reveal her...I snapped a picture. It looks like it was meant to be there, but the fact that it displays the box instead of the outline before and also that Wolverine is now called Shadowcat in the entire game makes this little mod a no go. I'm still having fun tinkering.

Original_Wolverine.jpgOriginal_Wolverine.jpg Replacment_Kitty.jpgReplacment_Kitty.jpg 0615132059.jpg0615132059.jpg

#405 10 years ago

Could you please export your 0xD0C image and import it again without any other modification ? this way, it is simply converted from Compressed-1 to Raster-12.
If it does not work, we'll know it's because of compression.
Otherwise, it could be the color of the surrounding pixels that have changed (it could be your image modification, but also the way I convert them in case you don't use a 4-bit palette).
Thanks in advance.
I'm sure we'll find a solution

So I went ahead and exported all of the images from this mode and re-imported them without changing anything. That was easier than just doing 1 and hoping it would finally be selected as the picture in the mode.

So the image looks the same in Pinball Browser before anything is done and after it is re-imported, but you can see they have all changed from Compression-1 or Compression-7 to Raster-12.

Then I updated my game with the code. When any of the pictures come up in Xavier mode...they all now display a square box instead of the pictures outline as it should. After you do hit their required target and their picture is revealed....their picture is displayed in a square box. In the regular code they are displayed as just floating there.

I'm guessing the game is using a transparency around these heads. When they are exported the transparency is lost (or just not exported). As I said before, I did try to import a "head" image into Pinball Browser that did have a transparency around it, but as soon as it was imported into Pinball Browser it displayed the transparency as black around it. The plus side of that was, even though it displayed as a box before she was discovered....when the picture was revealed...it was at least floating instead of still being in a box. EDIT: In hindsight I realize this head is also in a box...you just can see it in game because the box is black along with the other surrounding area on the DMD at that time.

ORIGINAL.jpgORIGINAL.jpg Replacment.jpgReplacment.jpg Transparency.jpgTransparency.jpg Transparency_after_importing.jpgTransparency_after_importing.jpg

#406 10 years ago

I know there are other times that transparencies are used in the X-Men code (and I'm guessing others). For example....during Beast mode I have found 3 DMD image types that are layered one on top of the other when being displayed in the game.

It seems that a lot of instances of WHITE being displayed on the images in Pinball Browser is actually a transparency in the game and not white at all.

Below I have posted examples of the 3 images that would be stacked on top of each other during the game.

BACKGROUND.jpgBACKGROUND.jpg MIDGROUND.jpgMIDGROUND.jpg FOREGROUND.jpgFOREGROUND.jpg

#409 10 years ago

Can you not just remove the entire background of the image (hence creating an image with a transparent background) before re-importing?
I noticed when i re-did the gem finger animation that the entire sequence was actually a transparency and when displayed on my machine, there was some 'Follow Gem' text in the transparent part. The gem animation i did also had a cloudy background which i thought could be made better by removing the black backround entirely. I then had this thought:
If i remove the background of an image that is supposed to have a transparency, will the game display unwanted items in the background of my imported images?
Still yet to find this out, but thought i would chime in on this transparency thing.

On one of my above images (the one titled transparency) I did remove all of the background and made it a transparency all around her head. When I imported it into Pinball Browser it changed the floating head to having black around her head instead of the transparency. So I'm guessing the imported image losses the transparency when importing it.

I will try to post the original PNG that I imported, but I'm not sure if pinside will reformat it. It's also going to be really small.

UPDATE: It posted fine. If you open this image with a viewing / art program that supports transparencies you will see it is just a floating head with no borders.
Kitty.pngKitty.png

#410 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

v1.81 is for you
The number of instance for a message is displayed in the Edit box.
When there are several instances, you can check the box to make the message unique (provided there is free memory in the firmware) :

Thanks!

That update worked wonders for what I was looking to modify. I went back in and changed one occurrence of WOLVERINE to SHADOWCAT and all of the other Wolverines remained Wolverine. I loaded the code and noticed that Wolverine was back to being called Wolverine in the regular game. Then I finally got Shadowcat to come up in Xavier mode and she was listed as Shadowcat.

Thanks again.

#413 10 years ago

oga83, it looks like the cannon firing images would be a good place on AC/DC to check out the things I am experiencing. Not too many frames to swap and an easy animation to see in the game.

If you were to export and re-import 0x1229 - 0x1239 images. I believe the cannon animation on the game would just appear all white on the left side of the DMD....when normally it would show the background images of 0x123A - 0x1268. I think what is seen as white on these frames in Pinball Browser are actually transparencies (or where they should be).

It seems the transparency info is getting lost in the export and also lost when an image is imported (and converted to black during import).

I will do a little tinkering with the Beast image I posted above to see if it is really losing the transparency when importing (in which case I should NOT be able to see the background behind him) or Pinball Browser is just displaying transparencies that are imported as black.

#414 10 years ago

So I had 2 Beast images that cycle back and forth. In the game it has a background wall (which I posted above) and a foreground set of beakers (which is posted above).

I exported both of the Beast frames that cycle. One of them I just re-imported and the other I made a transparency around him. The one I just re-imported displayed the same as it always did in Pinball Browser (with white around it), but it was, of course, converted to a Raster-12 image. The image with the transparency around it showed black in all of the transparency areas when viewed in Pinball Browser.

I flashed these to the game and tested it out. They both displayed just as I thought they would...the first image (that was just re-imported) showed as white all around him and you could not see through the white to see the wall image that should be showing behind him. The second image that had the transparency drawn around him, displayed black all around him...and again you couldn't see through the black to see the background wall.

I think I've done all I am smart enough to do as far as this is concerned. I think this is tied to the images having transparencies, but I'm not good with art programs or understanding their options. I did have an option box pop up when I went to save my image after I made the transparity around it, but I didn't understand them so I just left them default.

Image-7BE.pngImage-7BE.png Transparency_before_import.jpgTransparency_before_import.jpg Transparency_after_re-import.jpgTransparency_after_re-import.jpg TransSave.jpgTransSave.jpg

#418 10 years ago

I think I have another bug to report. I was just getting around to toying with the Macros feature a bit.

I got a stock X-Men LE 2.4 update and imported a picture, imported a different sound clip and changed a Message. Everything played and displayed fine in Pinball Browser. I saved the Marco.

I close down the program and restart it. I load X-Men LE 2.4. Load the Macro and run it. It seems that the message was changed fine and the sound was imported into the right location and plays fine, but there is a problem with the picture that was changed.

I tried it with 2 different pictures. 1 time it displayed nothing, but showed a blank Raster-12 where it should have been. The next picture I tried was simply exported and re-imported. When that was done, it displayed fine as a Raster-12 image, but when being auto imported with a Macro is is garbled looking.

I haven't tried browsing to any of the needed macro items. This test was done with everything named and placed in the same position as it was originally in.

PS: This image was the same as the Wolverine head that I posted on the last post of page 8 of this thread.

UPDATE: I tried this with a few bigger DMD images and they import fine using Macros, but I tried on a smaller AC/DC image and it also imported with the Macro feature as being garbled (it's originally a lightning bolt).

Garbled_Macro_Import.jpgGarbled_Macro_Import.jpg ACDC_Lightning_Bolt.jpgACDC_Lightning_Bolt.jpg

#425 10 years ago

I think it's because there is a message definition after the image definition in the macro.
The bug is that the message is stored at the same location than the image
I'll fix it in next release; in the meantime, moving all the message definitions at the begining of the macro will solve this issue (it would be great if you can confirm this !).
[EDIT]v1.83 is available and should fix it

I still have the bug (even when exporting and re-importing with the latest version).

I first tried your suggestion with version 1.81 (message change at top). That didn't work. Then I tried it with 1.83 and it still ended up being a garbled image. Here's a pic of my Macro and the garbled pic.

Macro.jpgMacro.jpg Macro_Garble.jpgMacro_Garble.jpg

#428 10 years ago

oga83, the macro feature bug doesn't seem to have anything to do with a message or sound file also being imported by the macro file.

I have attempted to do a very simple macro file on AC/DC. All I did was went to image 0x695 and exported the image. Then I re-imported the image. It displayed fine.

Then I go into the Macros tab and save the macro. Then I close the program. I start Pinball Browser back up and open the AC/DC software and then click the macros tab. I load the macro I saved and click run. It seems to apply fine.

But then when I go to the display system and browse to location 0x695...the image is skewed.

Strangely...if you do the exact same steps....except you first browse to location 0x695 on the display system and THEN you run the macro....it will re-import and display fine.

Here is the macro and I will post the image:

-- Pinball-Browser Macro File for AC/DC v1.65
Image,0x695,"C:\Users\DugFreez\Desktop\NEW ACDC\Image-695.png"

Image-695.pngImage-695.png

#436 10 years ago

I figured I would post my first real macro post for X-Men:

So it seems all of the technical hurdles are out of the way to replace "lost" mutants in Xavier mode. Here is a run down of how to replace Wolverine with Shadowcat. This should work on a Pro (1.05) or LE (1.24) as both the Wolverine image and his name for Xavier mode are in the same location on both.

Download the latest version of Pinball Browser (currently 1.85) on the top post of this thread

Download the X-Men software here if you don't already have it:

http://www.sternpinball.com/GAME-code.shtml#

Download the Kitty.png image on this post.

Then start Pinball Browser and click "Open" and browse to the X-Men software.

Then click the "Macros" button then copy and paste this in the window:

Message,0,0x5DF,R"SHADOWCAT"
Image,0xD0C,"C:\Kitty.png"

Then click the "Run" button. You will get a Confirm box...click "Yes". Then a window will open that is wanting you to browse to the kitty.png file you downloaded. Browse to it and double click.

Then click the "Save as" button and it will ask where you want to save your newly modded software. I would give it a name different than stock so you can easily see it is a modded software.

The software is ready to flash. Happy hunting.

Kitty.pngKitty.png

#441 10 years ago

Here's a small suggestion for future versions.

Anyway to get in the code info screen? I mean when you power the game up is says the game name and code revision...anyway to change that so you can modify it? Either to personalize it or just add something to show it's a modified code.

#445 10 years ago

Tranparency on animations has been hard to figure out.
But I think this has been solved in v1.87 !
Many thanks to Dug for all the tests he did.

Great job on 1.87. Not only does it look to be the best image quality since you added the transparencies, but it also seems to refresh the images much better, if you are holding the left scroll button and browsing them in reverse, than any previous version.

In 1.87 it doesn't seem to matter if you are scrolling or sliding forward or backward....when you stop on an image it is rock solid. In the earlier versions it could get pretty messy looking if you were just randomly sliding. Of course you could usually correct this by clicking back a few frames and than click forward to the frame you wanted, but as I said, the images on 1.87 look rock solid.

I put a picture together to show the progress in 24 hours. Have you approached Stern for a job? I think they could really use your help.

Great job and thanks again.

// Error: Image 110297 not found //

#446 10 years ago

I just thought of another suggestion (or 2).

If you hold the right scroll button it scrolls through the images and that does a pretty good job of simulating the animations from the game playing. It seems most do scroll a bit faster than they play in the game I have noticed. This is great just to get a look at them, but would it be possible to add an option to throttle the speed of the scroll button to match the games animation speeds more closely?

The thing is, I don't know if this varies much from game to game, one version of Pinball Browser to another or even image type or not.

After looking through X-Men, Spider-Man and AC/DC it does appear that the custom drawn dot images "play" a bit faster than the live action clips (like the AC/DC concert sequence), but that may just be my imagination.

Also....how about a "play" button to auto scroll through the images...and even the sounds for that matter. As a matter of fact, there is a lot more clicking needed to listen through the sounds than it is to just click and hold to get through the images.

Just some thoughts...

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#457 10 years ago

I'm not really understanding the adjustments. We have DEFAULT, MINIMUM, MAXIMUM and INCREMENTS?

I was initially thinking Inc was INCLUDE and 1 = On / 0 = Off to turn the actual setting to appear or not appear in the games setting menu, but the 1,000,000s and 100 threw off that idea.

It also appears that the Inc column needs moved over a bit. It seems that column Max gets a little too big halfway down and bumps Inc's numbers over too far right.

I like the improvement to the search in the Messages window.

#487 10 years ago
Quoted from rockinganker:

My idea is to take sounds and call outs from different games and add them to either my ACDC Prem or Met Pro.
Like the best of the best.

I swapped in the Tron scoop eject sound on my X-Men and added some CSI sounds for the X-Men standup targets.

I need to find another Stern game that has a nice female "Shoot Again" callout. They just added a shoot again animation on X-Men. It shows Dazzler skating behind a rolling ball. The it shows a close up of her with a microphone in her hand.....and then you hear a gruff Wolverine voice say "Shoot again". I don't think it would seem nearly as out of place if she didn't actually have a microphone in her hand.

So if anyone has any suggestions of a Stern SAM game that has a female "shoot again" callout I would appreciate it.

Dazzler.jpgDazzler.jpg Shoot_Again.jpgShoot_Again.jpg

#489 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Record your own.

I thought about that, as I do have a couple of friends with nice home studios, but if I get that deep into it I will probably go ahead and re-record a lot of different callouts to toy around with replacing.

#554 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Im trying to update my acdc le with new songs and I keep getting a fail at the end trying to update "error code 8" usually that means the flash drive isnt working but Ive used the same flash drive to update it before also when I save the BIN file the one I have is labeled ACD165LE.BIN do I take off the LE portion of it when I save it or does it matter?

That's normal. Your game should be flashed fine with the modified code.

I know this thread is getting a bit large, but I would suggest going back and reading it. It has a lot of interesting and helpful information.

#608 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

OGA83,
Thanks for the awesome update.
The new search string feature is great.
However, one song I am trying to replace has a longer title than the original.
There does not seem to be a way to use spare memory like in the original search.
Would this be possible to add or am I just missing something simple.
My Dirty Deeds and Shoot to Thrill are not a problem but Girls got Rhythm is more letters than War Machine.

I was just about to ask the same thing.

#613 10 years ago

I had to go with "RIDE/LIGHTNING" in the firmware messages since I couldn't expand the number of characters used. On the regular messages I used the option to add the needed characters. I considered "RIDEDALIGHTNING" or "RideDaLightning", but decided against it.

That being said...I don't know where the game uses one type of message and where it uses the other. I will be trying it out at my friends tomorrow.

1 week later
#633 10 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

For Metallica, I didn't expect song fragments to be the same size as the control song.

?What? What is the same size about them? The fragments are just snippets of the full length song and not as long (time wise).

Most songs on Metallica have 2 locations that have full length versions of the song.

Ex: Sad But True has 2 full length locations (0x22D and 0x23B). The 0x22D location has 1 sound request pointing to it (Request 839) and the 0x23B location has 3 requests pointing to it (95, 853 and 854).

I think I understand how the sound locations work with sound requests. I also understand that replacing a full length song that has many fragments is used to make up the smaller sound fragments. What I don't understand is why there are 2 or 3 full length versions of the same song in the software...when replacing 1 seems to take the place of all of the full length locations as well as the smaller sound "fragments" that are in the software.

It seems that this is using up a lot of room that it doesn't need to.....unless these repeat full length song locations are just placeholders......maybe for live versions to be added later?

Another guess would be that the 2 complete, full length song locations may be "fragmented" differently. Meaning that even though they are both showing as having 12 fragments....maybe their fragment breaks are in different locations on each of the full length songs.

#648 10 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

Ok, let me make sure I get this straight, I found three locations for Battery that are the same length, 5:09. They are request #'s 340, 362 & 363. So, if i wanted to completely replace Battery, I would have to do so in all three locations.
I plan on playing with it over the next couple days. Can't wait to get rid of Unforgiven.

I believe...LOCATIONS and REQUESTS are 2 different things.

A LOCATION is listed as ex: 0x42 for Battery. Sound REQUEST 340 points to this location. LOCATION 0x58 is also a full length version of Battery. Sound REQUESTS 362 and 363 both point to that sound LOCATION.

So a full length Battery (5min09s956ms with 20 fragments) is ONLY found in 2 LOCATIONS. It has 3 separate REQUESTS pointing to these 2 LOCATIONS, but it is only in 2 locations.

That being said...the programming is somehow tied together so if you replace one of these full length locations...it will also change the other and also all associated sound fragments that come from that song. I'm just not sure why they would have included 2 locations of the same full length song and also linked them together so if one change, they all changed.

#669 10 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Below are the song changes I made on METLE. I also changed the messages in the radio selection for the start of the game to reflect the new songs. I love the option to use more spaces if memory is available to be able to fit the entire song title. The tutorial posted by Pinballlooking on page 7 of this thread was a HUGE help!
- Replaced "The Unforgiven" with "The Shortest Straw." After the match sequence, the first 10 seconds of "SS" plays now, as well.
- Replaced "One" with "Whiplash" and "Hit the Lights." Because of the length of "One" (7:24), I was able to include two shorter songs with only a little trimming/editing of "HtL" If the gameplay is long enough, "HtL" will start right after "Whiplash." Another thing I noticed during gameplay is that "HtL" will play during "And Justice for All..." mode after spelling Metallica on the ramps. "HtL" isn't on that album, but oh well.
- Replaced "Fade to Black" with "My Apocolypse" and "Motorbreath." Again the length of "FtB" (6:56) allowed for two songs, although I had to fade out "Motor" about a minute early.
- Replaced "Creeping Death" with "Ride the Lightning." I didn't mind having "CD" in the song selection, but I would much rather have "RtL" play during Sparky Multiball, and the two songs are almost the same length, so it was an easy switch.
Because I was able to add two songs, I now have 14 songs instead of 12! However, I have to have good gameplay to reach those other two (unless I start "AJFA..." mode).
Thanks again for all the hard work and trial and error of everyone throughout this thread! This is a great program that has been really easy to work with!

For a friends MET I did:

Ride the Lightning for Creeping Death (Electric Chair Multiball)
Blackened for The Unforgiven
Slither for Sad But True (Snake Multiball)
Am I Evil for The End Of The Line

1 week later
#676 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I'm looking for new ideas :
So, what kind of feature would you like to see in Pinball Browser ?

Glad to see you are back.

I still vote for an auto play button on the audio and display tabs.

For the display, just holding down on the right arrow to let it scroll is fine (but I still think an auto play would be nice).

As far as the sounds go.....an auto play would be really nice. As it is now....it's click, enter, click, enter, click, enter,...........

It would be nice to just click a button and have Pinball Browser automatically start playing the display animations or sounds effects from where it is.

2 weeks later
#701 10 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Used this for my ACDC and Metallica... Awesome!!
Wondering if anyone tried this with their Xmen LE? I thought it would be cool to change out the music sections with some hard rock... not sure what Request number is the main number for the main song clips.. make sense? Or how many different song clips there are... sure is harder when its just unknown music clips!
Anyone figured this out already?

I messed around with replacing a lot of the music in X-Men at one time. Most of the song loops were pretty short (< 1 min.) I basically went through the X-Men software and saw how long the loops were and then just stuck in whatever I had in my itunes library that fit.

I wasn't really looking for an real replacements....just toying around with the software. Ex: This fit (time wise as the main gamplay theme)

The best and probably the only one I would think about putting in again was this for the villian select theme:

As far as hard rock....I did find an SOD clip that fit in nicely as the Juggernaut theme.

1 month later
#723 10 years ago
Quoted from digitalbytes:

Has anyone been successful doing this on a MET Pro? The firmware I had loaded and the CRC check failed but rebooting just left me with a blank display. The size matched the previous version and I only changed the logo and the custom message.

I have only messed with a MET Premium...all went as expected.

#725 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Anybody have anything they can share that they have done with Avengers LE? I'd like to replace some of the voice calls with quotes from the Avengers movie. There were some funny lines in the movie that are much better than what's included with the Pin (except the Hulk quotes). Plus, I would so much rather have the original actors voices in most cases. If you have any info that would help or a video of what you've done, I'd love to see or learn more. There is a moviesoundclips site that I was going to try to use as my source material. I wasn't sure if the clips have to be of the same duration or not to come out sounding ok. If so, that seems like it could be pretty difficult to replace voice calls. I haven't gotten started with the software yet, so I'm starting from scratch -- any tips or lessons learned are appreciated.

If the sound clips you add are longer they will be cut short. You should be able to add shorter clips without any negative issues.

#751 10 years ago

Thanks for the update oga83. I appreciate the auto play functions.

1 week later
#816 10 years ago
Quoted from nodyeliab:

I see POTC listed as one of the machines it will work with, but I get an 'unknown firmware' error when trying to load it?

Yeah oga83, It looks like:

Pirates of the Caribbean
Family Guy
Shrek
The Simpsons Kooky Carnival
World Poker Tour

all pooped out somewhere between v 2.04 (they worked) and 2.10 and later (they haven't worked).

1 week later
#824 10 years ago

I don't know how many noticed the Metallica Premium with the altered soundtrack at the Chicago Pinball Expo. The free play area was pretty noisy so hearing it was a bit of an issue. I also doubt if it would be noticed by someone that wasn't familiar with the game.

The only report I heard was Lyman noticing it. He went to start a game and was looking for "Sad But True" and noticed it was no where to be found...replaced by "Slither". "Slither" just seems like a much more fitting choice to Snake Multiball than "Sad But True". The same can be said for "Ride The Lightning" playing during Electric Chair Multiball instead of "Creeping Death". Add in the fact that they call out "Ride the lightning" a lot of the time at the beginning of it...and it's really a no brainer.

The other replacements were "Blackened" for "The Unforgiven" and "Am I Evil" for "The End of the Line".

#832 10 years ago
Quoted from Pintoxicated:

Just wondering if it is possible, or could it be possible, to save the existing software already on the machine so as to save the settings and high scores stored before changing songs? It would be great to be able to save what's already there before losing it all.

I have heard conflicting reports, but every time I have updated my X-Men LE or my friends Metallica Premium the settings, scores and audits have remained intact.

After updating to a modified firmware the system gives an error that it didn't update properly. This is normal and the modified software is in place. It seems that this error prevents some type of finalization that would take place on a normal code update and prevents settings, scores and audits from getting reset as they normally would.

#838 10 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

When I patched my Tron Pro it did not throw up an error and it wiped out my scores.

I thought at one time oga83 was looking into why some people didn't get the error (and lost their settings and scores) and others did get the error (and got to keep their setting and scores). I can't remember hearing if he figured out what the difference was or if it was game, pinball browser version or update specific.

That is why I said there were conflicting reports on scores getting wiped out. The way I look at is, you are going to lose the scores with an official update anyway (if your game is still getting updates). So you might as well risk them to add some different software features.

#866 10 years ago

oga83....I have another question related to what is being discussed. I know if you change the location that has the entire song in it.....it also changes all of the smaller song fragment locations automatically. I guess these smaller sound clips are grabbed from the longer clip automatically.

Say you have done that (replaced the long, entire song clip)...could you then go back and find which fragment is the looped "shooter groove" location and replace it separately? Basically making is so that one fragment that the game is using while the ball is in the shooter lane to loop more smoothly? So it wouldn't be changing the length of the fragment that loops, but you would be overriding it to play a different section of the song instead of what it grabs from the complete song by default.

2 weeks later
#877 10 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Has anyone used this on POTC? I have done many changes to ACDC, MET, Xmen, Avengers and even some on POTC - however using version 2.18 I cant find any of the sound bytes for Capt. Jacks call outs or the main music.
Anyone else have this issue?

I know there was an issue with the early version of Pinball Browser where the program wasn't showing all of the animations or sounds for a few early games. I believe POTC and FG were a couple of the ones with this issue. It seemed like the program wasn't spanning the entire ROM or something. oga83 fixed it before...maybe that issue has crept back in with all of the different releases and changes.

3 weeks later
#894 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Isn't there already a physical knocker kit for Sterns? How is that kit triggering the coil?

The Stern games are made with a harness on the left side of the cabinet that can send a knocker signal. There is a setting in the regular game settings to pulse the coil that is connected to that harness (if a kit is added). It always struck me as strange that the official software supports a physical knocker in the settings...yet there is no official knocker kits sold for the games.

#895 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

About the knocker, pinsider 'audihere' asked me if it was possible to trigger a specific coil when the knocker sounds (in order to remove the sound and replace it with a real physical knocker).
Is anybody else interested ?

That might be interesting...I'm not sure what coil you would select or how universal the coil labeling is from game to game. I would think the auto shooter would be a good one to use, but I'm guessing it would still come off more as a game malfunction than a knocker hit.

1 week later
#905 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Just tried the magic of a song change on ACDC, and did a test first before loading. Came up with a "fail to upgrade due to error 8".
Any ideas why?
Thanks

That is normal and really a good thing. It prevents the update from resetting all of your high scores and game settings. If you added a song it should be there.

#908 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

no luck, still error 8.
will fiddle a bit more

There is nothing to fiddle with....the error always pops up. It is expected. If you changed a song with pinball browser and uploaded that modified software to your game all the way until it gave the error...you are done. The new song you added is there.

Don't do the test or it wont go through to the update...just update it, you will get the error, but the modified code is on there.

#911 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Is version v3.01 now working well for FG, POTC, WOF, WPT ?
Thanks in advance

I don't see a link for 3.01. It still looks like 3.00 is the current linked version.

1 week later
#920 10 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Wanted to try out this awesome tool. Downloaded V3.00 and put facebook.dll and pinballbrowser.exe in same directory. Starts up fine, can search for text and replace. However, sound is a totally different story
If I select a sound (for instance request 308) and push play I hear nothing. If I click again than often the program just freezes for some time and does nothing. When it works again I can push Stop. I assume that during this waiting time? it extracts the song from the binfile?
Using W7 and ACDCLE 1.65 bin.
What am I doing wrong?? And yes, I checked if my sound on PC was really working with other programs
Thanks for any help

I am using Windows 7 also and trying the same version of Pinball Browser, the same ROM and the same request...I have no problems (T.N.T. plays fine).

What you suggested about the program extracting the song...that wouldn't be happening as you need to press the Export button to do that.

#937 10 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Oh ok. Thanks Markmon I'll try that. After the update, the setting was automatically at 50!
Any ideas why my one song doesn't play from the beginning? I understand if the song is shorter than the one being replaced you get dead-time, but what could cause a song to not start from the beginning?

Whatever song you put in with pinball browser will act exactly like the song did that was originally in that spot. If the original song starts 5.23 seconds into the original song clip....the replacement song will start 5.23 seconds into the replacement song clip. Without knowing what game you are talking about, what song you are talking about, where the song was replaced in the ROM and under what circumstance it is playing in the game......it's pretty much impossible to tell.

I see you mention MET LE above. I have added songs to Metallica without issue. The game behaves just as it did with the original songs...except they are different songs. Ex: When you are selecting a song before you plunge the ball. The original songs when selecting do not start from the beginning....so if you replace a song, it will also not start at the beginning. It will start at the exact same time into the song that the original song did. I hope this helps explain.

#949 10 years ago

3.02 is the first version I have had that Avast has flagged...very aggressively I might add. It throws it to the virus chest automatically.

I was also meaning to ask a couple of releases ago...what's the facebook.dll and where is it supposed to go? Is it needed?

virus warning.jpgvirus warning.jpg
#951 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I've seen this and I've submitted a "false positive" report to Avast a few days ago (that's why v3.01 was not published).
Avast was updated earlier today and this issue has disappeared for me.
Try to update Avast and let me know.
[EDIT] My Avast version is 2014.9.0.2011 with a VPS database version 140102-1
facebook.dll is used by the "Remote SmartDmd" feature : See photos at the end of the
SmartDmd post
It should be placed in the same directory than PinballBroser.exe; If you don't use SmartDmd, you don't need it.

I have the same version and it is still flagging it. Could it be that you have manually added it as an exception and that is why it is getting past you?

Virus Def Version.jpgVirus Def Version.jpg
#967 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Can somebody who's not using Avast test it with its antivirus software ?
The download link is PinballBrowser202.zip (removed from the OP)
Thanks in advance

I just went to try the zip again and Avast didn't make a peep. I see the definition version has been updated from before so maybe they got things resolved. The Avast definition version that let me open 3.02 without issue is 140103-0.

#978 10 years ago
Quoted from cmproductions:

Ok. Sorry for the long wait. I need to make a better one but hopefully this at least gives you an idea! Let me know what u think!
» YouTube video

I'm not familiar with the game, but you seem to have done a great job of putting in the new music. Was most of the original music clips in the game fairly long or short looped clips?

1 week later
#1020 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

The name of this thread was set at the very beginning of Pinball Browser.
It is no longer specific to AC/DC, Avatar and Tron, and I think that this subject is too restrictive.
Any idea for a better name ?

Pinball Browser for Stern S.A.M system games: Browse & modify DMD images & sounds

#1022 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

v3.10 can be downloaded (see OP for download link and change log)
IMO, it's a major improvement : Pinball-Browser can now be connected to your pinball with a RS232 cable.
It opens a new field of possibilities...
This version allows you to modify your adjustments and your high scores in a jiffy : just click on 'set', and that's it, your modifications are immediately stored into your pinball
I have also modified many explanations in the OP.
Let me know what you think of this version !

First, quick question before even trying the new version. What is the comm103.hex file and where does it need to be? It seems that more and more files are being added to the zip and I never know if they need to stay in a folder with the exe or if they are just support files for a specific purpose of pinball browser?

I was also wondering if hooking pinball browser directly to a game is required to use the new "High Score" tab? Can high scores be modified in the ROM before flashing to a game via USB?

2 weeks later
#1065 10 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

I thought this was as easy as installing a knocker on the ticket dispenser output. Turning on the ticket dispenser for specials, then turning the knocker volume to off.

They do have kits to add a real knocker and there are some how-to websites that describe the process. It's not quite as simple as what you have described though.

1 week later
#1088 10 years ago
Quoted from Brentslane:

Anyone out there working on IM? I think that would be a great pin to customize sounds on.
BSL

I've heard a couple mention adding "Shoot to Thrill" to Iron Man, but have never heard any follow ups on if they were successful or not. It would probably greatly depend on how long the original music loops are in Irom Man and if you could get a sound loop the same length of "Shoot to Thrill" to sound right in the game.

#1090 10 years ago

Has anyone tried exporting music an using for ringtones or text alerts? Was thinking of trying with Xmen stuff.

I had the Tron scoop eject sound as my text alert on my last phone. I honestly have no idea how to set custom sounds on my iPhone.

2 weeks later
#1116 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

My apologies to all. I made the mistake of asking Gary Stern what he thought of pinball browser. He got a little hot under the collar, and let me know I was in breach of copyright laws and was illegally hacking his software. Next time you see him, don't ask. I love the product by the way.

No offense to Gary, but this should be a concern way, way, way, way down on his list of business concerns. If anything, the program is helping to make his product look more attractive, user friendly and customizable to customers and potential customers.

I would think his only real issue would be if a license holder really wanted to push him for a crack down because they don't like others tinkering concerning their I.P..

#1130 10 years ago
Quoted from JimBoSS:

I finally got around to changing the songs on my MET Premium lastnight.
Creeping Death changed to Ride the lightning
Unforgiven changed to Nothing else matters.
all worked well, one question i have which i couldn't find being asked/answered in this thread is the multiball sections of the songs.
For Creeping death it is the solo. when i replace it with Ride it uses the same time in the song which is the verse.
is it a matter of finding the request for the multiball and importing a solo clip for that section or do i have to repoint the request somehow

I don't think anything can be done about it. If the game is programed to start playing Creeping Death 1:24 into the song when multiball starts......it will start playing any song you replaced Creeping Death with at 1:24 into that song.

I replaced Ride the Lightning with Creeping Death and I honestly thing it sounds great when it starts. The intro of the multiball is during an all music section of the song and isn't jumping in mid line or anything jarring like that.

4 weeks later
#1238 10 years ago

Has anyone had a chance to do much sound importing with the new Pinball Browser features?

I was wondering if volume on an MP3 clip could be boosted to the normal level of game sounds without popping? I know this was an issue for me when using Audacity until someone suggested using the compression tools in it.

1 week later
#1249 10 years ago
Quoted from Gnassel:

Hey guys,
on my Transformers I replaced the game score with parts from the original sound track. I don´t get warm with the techno sound tune.
Stupid question:
I agree that it is not allowed to share the binary file, but whats about to share the sound pieces?
Everyone can easy put it into his own .bin file. they are named like the script sound is.

I would guess the whole reason to not share the bin file IS BECAUSE of the added sound files. What I mean to say is, I'm guessing just sharing the sound file alone is just as bad or worse than sharing the modified bin file.

1 month later
#1281 9 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

successful example: on MET, i replaced Fuel with King Nothing. although I need to do it again because I didn't check the box for "this instance only" so my Fuel Mode was essentially turned into King Nothing mode. I'd like to preserve the Fuel song for only the Fuel mode.

I don't know if the "this instance only" pertains to sound files. I think that is a text only option. I believe if you swap a song in one location....you swap all uses of it in the entire game.

#1286 9 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Now that I finally have a Stern title, can extra songs be added? For example Mustang Pro comes with 4 songs, can I increase that to 8 or 10?

No, it's replace only.

I was nosing in the Mustang software and it seemed strange that they have sizable chunks of each song....but they didn't just go ahead and include the entire song. Maybe the software is done in a way that they know you would be changing modes and playing a different song before the 3 1/2ish minute song clip had finished playing.

Anyway....it seems like it would be a great candidate to change the music on.

1 week later
#1293 9 years ago

I ran into a strange issue when trying to open X-Men LE 1.1 software. This is a software revision that was shipped with my X-Men LE game and version 1.1 was never posted on Stern's site. I thought I had browsed this software before, but now I am guessing not.

Anyway, Pinball Browser will open it and I can browse the DMD animations fine, but if I select the sound button it causes the program to stop responding. I have tried this software with older versions of Pinball Browser and though some of them behave a bit differently....none of them will play the sound files.

So I was wondering what is making this software version to act strangely and not play the sound files? Is it because it was a version that I backed up from my game instead of downloading? The sound information of the right side also seems strange with the "Type ?" which I have never noticed before on other software in Pinball Browser.

Another question I have to other users. Does anyone have a version of X-Men LE 1.1 that they CAN open in Pinball Browser and listen to the sound information?

...and finally a slightly off topic request. If anyone has X-Men LE software 1.0 please let me know. I would be happy to pay someone to make a copy for me and for the shipping and their time and trouble.

X-Men LE 1.1.jpgX-Men LE 1.1.jpg
#1296 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Doug, the earliest XMEN LE rom I have is LE 1.2 and this opens and plays the sounds fine in the latest pinball browser.
Is LE 1.1 somewhere I can try?

I have 1.2 also and it opens and plays the sound fine in Pinball Browser.

1.1 (and 1.0) was never posted on Sterns website. It was the code that the games were originally shipped with. The 1.1 I have is the code that was originally shipped with my game. I'm wondering if the code being from an actual game backup might be what is causing the issue with Pinball Browser...as all other codes I have tried with Pinball Browser have been ones download from Stern's site and they open and play the sounds fine.

Seeing that X-Men LE 1.1 has animations that were never used and were removed from the later codes....it just makes me wonder if there were also sounds in the 1.1 code that were not used and also pulled from later software versions.

#1297 9 years ago

Meant to edit, but instead posted.

#1299 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Backup your current 1.5.1 install and see if it works. That will tell you if it is the backup issue or not.

Yeah...I don't know why I didn't think of that as a test.

1 week later
#1317 9 years ago

I had a general question and then a more game specific one.

Am I correct in thinking that if you are browsing sounds using the location slider and no request highlights for the sound in the lower window....that means that, that instance of the sound is not used in the software?

My game specific question is...does anyone know where the request is for the Metallica scoop eject sound? It's not very audible or memorable. I am looking to replace it for a friend, but I don't know where it is or really remember what it sounds like.

TIA

3 weeks later
#1330 9 years ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

Need some help please.
For Met Pro running 1.6 I want to replace "Enter Sandman" with a song from the Tally Hall CD which is about Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Musuem. Since that is where the game is it would be cool to have the song in the game.
I have the latest version of pinball browser and found Enter Sandman at script 0x172 and imported the MP3. Then I changed the label in messages.
When loaded into the game you see the new text when you select song. But it still plays enter sandman AT FIRST then after awhile does start to play the new song. So I don't think it got all the fragments or ?.
I did tell it to sync to the bookmarks and while there was no error message, no bookmarks appeared.
Hmm, now I see that there are several "sandman" scripts. Should I have picked the 1st (and longest) one at 0x16B instead?
Thanks,
Parker

Rule of thumb is always pick the longest sound file with the most fragments.

Looking at your example in particular.....it seems that the MET code has changed a bit and I hadn't noticed it. Keep in mind I am using the 1.51 LE software so other sound locations may be different on different software versions or on the Pro. It seems that Enter Sandman has 3 occurrences of Enter Sandman with 18 fragments and a 5min30s489ms play time.

0x16A (bookmarked as Enter Sandman)
0x17C
0x180

Location 0x17D is actually Enter Sandman with 19 fragments and a 5min30s739ms play time.

I'm pretty sure you can change any of those 4 locations and it will change Enter Sandman in all locations and fragments. I had just never noticed that longer 19 fragment location before...I'm guessing it is just an added fragment of silence added for some unknown reason.

2 weeks later
#1342 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Ya that is all I really want to do is put something like the chorus of a different song there in its place. Shoot to thrill would be fine, but I don't want to trade out any of the other full length songs...yet.

I'm not sure if you can just replace one song fragment (the one that plays after the match sequence) and it not mess up the original song in the game.

I'd like to hear if anyone has actually done that and the specifics (what game, what song fragment location was replaced, ect...).

UPDATE: Just to test...I replaced 1 fragment of Enter Sandman. Then when I went back to the entire song location....it did indeed stick that new fragment in the whole song location. So I don't believe you can do what you are wanting to do.

It seems that the software gets it's fragment information from the entire song location (because when you change the entire song in 1 location it auto changes all of the fragments), but it does seem like you COULD change just 1 fragment and it be fine. But it looks like just changing 1 fragment also puts that back into the entire song somehow.

The sound clips on these games seems weird as it is. I can understand having 1 location with the entire song and I can also understand having that location chucked up to make the various fragments. What I don't understand is why there are 2 or 3 locations with the entire song and why replacing a fragment would then change the entire song location clips.

#1345 9 years ago

I've been wondering...does anyone know of any sound editing software that will let you open a sound clip and then type in a time length. Then the software would have that length highlighted and you can slide the highlighted area along the original sound clip so you could hear how a sound loop of that length would sound with the time length positioned where it is on the original clip.

It seems like it would be a feature that would be used on a lot of other applications where a person is looking for a specific length of sound loop...but I have never seen this in any audio software that I have worked with.

#1352 9 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Pinball Browser embedded sound editor almost does this. The duration is preconfigured with the Sound Script length (but you can reduce it) and you can use the scrollbar to move your starting point.

I had never used the embedded sound editor. After messing with it....it seems the most useful function to add would be a loop button or a loop option to tick. That way you could listen to the previewed sound clip and hear it looped at the appropriate length.

Having the actual sound bar easier to see and able to be zoomed would also be helpful and would make setting the starting position easier. You could be much more accurate if you could zoom into see milliseconds to make adjustments.

Also...a highlighted area for the length, that moves with the starting position would make things easier and more visual.

3 weeks later
#1379 9 years ago
Quoted from credinger:

Ahh, that might have something to do with i Right now I have Breadfan replacing Unforgiven.( Which is 15 seconds shorter)
However it is doing it on all of the original songs too, not just the ones I replaced.

I have replaced numerous songs on my friends Metallica. It was never an issue before the latest update. Almost all of the songs I replace are the same length (some a bit longer, some a bit shorter).

Yet with this new update thay have issues with large chunks of silence in the game. All the songs are in the software and complete (as they all play fine in the attract mode juke box), but they just occasionally run into silence while playing.

I also believe this has happened when playing original songs in the game that were not replaced.

#1382 9 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Do you mean the latest update of Pinball Browser (4.01) or of MTL firmware (1.6) ?

On a stock firmware ? or after some other modifications with Pinball Browser (dmd frames, strings, ...) ?

I meant the latest version of the Metallica firmware (1.6 Premium/LE).

I made changes (audio only) to my friends Metallica on 2 previous Metallica updates. All was well. Yet with the latest Metallica update...their game sometimes hits dead spots in the music.

Keep in mind, I did not use a macro from an earlier version to make the changes. I did all changes manually as I always have. As I mentioned, I believe that they said the "dead air" spots sometime hit during the songs that were not altered...but I haven't heard this being an issue with the 1.6 stock firmware.

#1402 9 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

Thank you. Here is the result:

Untitled-352.jpg 11 KB

Your work is looking good so far.

Seeing this Dazzler frame makes me think of what an annoying oversight in the game that is. You get an extra ball, Dazzler skates by with a giant pinball. The DMD animation go in for a close up of Dazzler with her microphone and then you hear.....a deep gravelly Wolverine voice say "Shoot Again"! WTF?!? She's there...she had a microphone in her hand...why couldn't they have had a Dazzler voice in there saying "shoot gain"???

1 month later
#1461 9 years ago

oga83,

Is there any way to list or browse through the items listed in the Edit String window (Messages / Search Firmware)?

What I'm looking for is any instances of "ONE" in the Metallica firmware. The Edit String window says it needs to be 4 letters to search. I know all of the other songs have 2 instances each listed in this section. The first is just the song title and the second is "MUSIC: (the song title)".

So I can actually search "MUSIC" and find "MUSIC: ONE" to change, but I can not find the instance of it by itself, because ONE is only 3 letters.

PS: What are most of these "Search Firmware / Edit String" messages anyway? Where are they seen in the game...if they are seen?

Thanks

4 months later
#1539 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I am helping someone with a sound file for AC/DC, and while I have done tons of song changes I have a very strange problem with one of the songs on this file.
For some reason the song plays perfectly in Pinball Browser. But once installed on the pin this one song decides to start almost 1 min. into the song instead of at the beginning.
Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?
I have double checked the .wav file and re-imported it back into the browser program twice but no luck it still refuses to start at the beginning of the song once installed on the pin.

My guess would be that you are inserting the song in the wrong location of the code...or the game starts the song that you are replacing part way in when it is coded to start in the game.

Some specifics would go a long way on this one...what code location did you add the song into? What song are you replacing? ect....

#1541 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Thanks.
This is easy info.
I have replaced this song track tons of times with no trouble ever.
It is for AC/DC premium 1.68
The call reference is number 304 which is Hell's Bells. The track length is 5:13 and the edited song (Van Halen's Loss of Control) is 5:13.
The file plays perfectly in Pinball Browser and only plays incorrectly when loaded onto the pin.
I am making an all Van Halen pin for a friend of mine and only this one track refuses to play nice.

The place in the game where you are referring to it starting the Van Halen song part way through....are you sure it usually starts Hell's Bells at that point of the game from the beginning (with just the bell ringing)?

My guess would be that the game is actually playing location 0x180 (ex: request 190) there which is Hell's Bells part way through (about 1m10s in actually....sounds like about when you explain the VH song kicks in). If the game starts Hells Bells part way through in that part of the game....it will do the same with any song injected into the code.

I don't have AC/DC here or near...so I don't know specifics on the game, but I have done quite a few changes on Metallica. If the game starts the original song part way through in a certain part of the game...you are pretty much at the mercy of it as to where it cuts in on a song you add yourself, but if it starts playing the original song 2 minutes in...it will also start playing the replacement song 2 minutes in. With the songs I added to Metallica...it always seemed to cut in at good times and it was pretty unnoticeable that they weren't the songs that were originally there.

#1543 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Good idea on the request 190. I will check it out.
Hell's Bells must be the only song that does this.
I guess I have not noticed this problem because everyone I have helped with their file has always left Hell's Bells alone because it is a classic.
Very strange. But at least this gives me a lead on where to look to try and fix the problem.

Yeah...I can see Hell's Bells being one that doesn't start from the beginning since it's a long build up with the bell ringing and all.

If what I explained is the case....you could probably try to loop that VH song so the break (from the end to restarting) lands on the 4min03s807ms mark. If it is using the 190 request for when it starts...you would get the start of the VH song. The bad of that would be that you would probably have 3 cuts in the loop (by looking at the length of the original VH song) instead of just 2 by doing that......but if you have extra short ball times like I tend to on AC/DC, that's shouldn't be an issue.

1 week later
#1583 9 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I'm ready to change some songs on my Met, Unforgiven has to go. Anyone do a tutorial video yet?

Sanitarium fits in there pretty nicely.

2 weeks later
#1609 9 years ago
Quoted from murtro:

Is it possible to swap out just one Sound Request without replacing all of the related Scripts?
Example - Replace Request 339 without replacing 198 on AC/DC pro??

I believe all of the sound swapping that takes place in pinball browser is replacing Sound Scripts. I also believe that if you swap a Sound Script....it will always change all of it's associated Sound Requests.

#1614 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

A box of cookies to the first person who can swap out Hell's bells for another song and explain how they got it to start at the beginning of the song.
I am on failed attempt 10 and throwing in the towel on this one.

Try inserting a song with 71 seconds of silence at the beginning of it, at Sound Script location 0x 182

If that starts the inserted song at the beginning of the inserted song during the game you can then go back and see how you want to loop that song. You can then go in and do what you need to do knowing that the game will start it at the 71 second mark. You should be able to fill in that opening 71 seconds if you would like.

I'm guessing this will fix your "song not starting at the beginning" issue, but it will probably introduce other jank If the inserted song isn't the correct length or looped smoothly. That song will also be "broken" in the attract mode of the jukebox as the jukebox starts the song in that location (Hell's Bells or a replacement song) from the beginning and not from the 71 sec mark like the game does during gameplay.

Keep in mind I do not have a AC/DC or anyway to test this myself....but I think the game not starting Hell's Bells from the beginning and starting it part way through in the game....is what is causing this issue for you.

EDIT: If the game never actually uses that "bell ringing" opening part of the song....the game would never use the opening "silence" part of the inserted song....so if you get a song that is 4 minutes and 3 seconds I'm guessing it would be a perfect fit (except for the attract mode jukebox).

#1616 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Sadly I have already tried that.

So what did it do then? Start the replacement song part way through? In a different spot?

#1618 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Yes. I have faded the song out and started it over in every logical spot I can think of but it never helps.

I was messing with this and this is what I found:

I got a song that was 4m3s807ms long and then added 1m9s604ms of silence to the front of it. Then a swapped this 5m13m411ms song in the 0x182 Sound Script location. When I did that it replaced 4 locations (that I know of) with that new song:

0x 17F which I believe is the song select loop (and shooter lane groove) went to silence because it is grabbing it's info in the first section of the song (which is now silent).

0x180 played the new song right from the beginning of the song (cutting out all of the opening silence that was at the beginning of it). This is the clip that I believe the game is playing as soon as you select the song and shoot the ball.

0x181 played the new song partway through...just as it played Hell's Bells partway through originally (actually the last 1m41s). I don't really know when in gameplay this would kick in (ball 2 or 3 start if you aren't changing songs maybe??).

0x182 which is the sound script I actually replaced. It plays the 69ish seconds of silence and then the new song starts. I believe this sound script of the entire song is probably only played in the attract mode jukebox, though this is the sound script that the other 3 locations are grabbing their info from.

So all of my finding there seemed promising. I would speculate if it were loaded onto and AC/DC it would start the replacement song right from it's beginning. However...I think there would just be silence when flipping between songs when choosing or when the ball was in the shooter lane. I'm also guessing there would be 69 seconds of silence before the song started playing in the attract mode jukebox. I also have no idea if there would be that added 69 seconds of silence if you played a ball until the song ended...or if it would start right back up at the beginning of the song.

Arcade, if you would like to try this modified software out please send me a PM and let me know. Actually.....I would really like you to give it a try since I went to the trouble and would really like to know if it works.

As for helping more...I don't have a AC/DC around, but even a short video so I could hear what part of Hell's Bells plays when you are selecting the song, the ball is in the shooter lane. What plays when it is select and the ball is launched and what it plays when it is sitting in the lane and starting on ball 2 or 3 would help. Also....how the song loops if a ball actually lasts the whole song.

I still believe that getting location 0x 180 (request 190) to play like you want it to when the game starts is the key (to at least having the song start correctly). That would make the "break point" of location 0x 182 (request 192) at 1m9s604ms in.

If you try this code and it works (meaning the new song actually starts at the beginning when you select it) you can then figure out how you want to fit your replacement song in the last 4m3s807ms and what you want to put in the opening 1m9s604ms for the song select and shooter groove to grab to use.

7 months later
#1818 8 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If you download the code off the stern site, is there a way to determine the length of the songs actually installed on the machine? I'm assuming it must list this that way you have a good idea of whAt time constraints to occupy or stay within.

You would dl the Rolling Stones LE code from Sterns website and open it with the Pinball Browser. Then you flip through the sound files and find the songs in the game. It will show how long the song clips are.

In the case of the Rolling Stones....I don't think any of the song clips are the entire songs. So what you would need to do is find a place in the song you want to add where you want to grab that length of music from.

EXAMPLE: If the Love Is Strong clip is 1:23 long....and you want to add Satisfaction in that part of the game when Love Is Strong usually plays.... you would need to find a 1:23 long section of Satisfaction to import into the software.

I really wish there was some audio software that would let you type in a length of time and it have that length highlighted where you could slide it along a sound file to pick the best clip of that length that you want.....but I have never seen one and didn't hear back from anyone when asking about it. It seems like a tool that many would use in an auto editing software, especially when trying to loop audio, but I haven't heard of any programs that have this.

#1842 8 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

Audacity does exactly this. Making a song loop can be a challenge, but rewarding. Sliding the time as little as 100th of a second won't hit the beat perfectly, but it'll be close enough.

I haven't seen, and still don't see, an option like this in Audacity. Can you explain where it is?

I'm guessing what you are mentioning is different than what I have in mind.

An example of what I have in mind is you open up a song that is 2mins 37secs long. You want a clip that is 32secs long. You type that 32 second in somewhere and the program highlights the first 32seconds of the song and you can then slide that highlighted 32sec section up and down the entire 2min 37sec file. When you get it to where you want you can click play and it will loop the highlighted 32sec section wherever it is.

It may have it, and it seems like it should, but I can't figure out where. I can highlight a section of a song and I could adjust it to the loop length I need, but I see no way to slide that highlighted time length section around on the track.

As for the sound sizing tool in Pinball Browser....it's nice to have, but not nearly precise or full featured as would be needed in many cases. Being able to zoom in and look at the sound file up close to see where note breaks are and stuff like that are is pretty necessary.

#1847 8 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

*PLEASE* : Someone edit Nascar and replace driving 55 with something cool!!!

NASCAR is a Whitestar System Stern game (uses burnt ROM chips). Pinball Browser is for SAM and now SPIKE System games that use UBS to update the game code.

It would be nice on NASCAR to at least be able to import the correct version of I Can't Drive 55 instead of being stuck with the knockoff version that the game uses.

#1849 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Any tips on prepping callouts? I'm doing BDK this weekend... I need to convert the mp3 files to wav and tweak the volume.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-getting-sound-files-ready-for-pinball-browser

I would think the biggest issue with adding callouts from a movie source would be removing any background sounds or music. The guide i linked to doesn't really touch on that, but it is mainly about file conversion and volume balancing that you asked about.

#1853 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

So maybe one of you guys can help.
I'm working on BDK and I downloaded maybe 30 mp3 sound clips. Using Audacity, I converted all of the callouts to mono wav files and then replaced some of the callouts in the game.
Once I updated the code, none of the callouts are working in the game. It's just silence (no callout at all). Any ideas?

When you open the code you modified with Pinball Browser again...do the new callouts play when you select where you put them?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 25.95
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 24.95
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Parsippany, NJ
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DugFreez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images?tu=DugFreez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.