1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,562 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 112.
#401 10 years ago

I'm still hoping they use that Super Skill shot animation for Kitty...and the Dazzler extra-ball.

#402 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

So is there anyway to make it so the changed text is only changed in the specified location that a user manually changes it?

v1.81 is for you

The number of instance for a message is displayed in the Edit box.
When there are several instances, you can check the box to make the message unique (provided there is free memory in the firmware) :

EditForm.pngEditForm.png

#403 10 years ago

Sorry for duplicate post. I had a "slow down ! you're moving too fast" error message from pinside on my first click

#404 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I'm also guessing since all imported images are Raster-12 maybe they can not have these transparencies???

Could you please export your 0xD0C image and import it again without any other modification ? this way, it is simply converted from Compressed-1 to Raster-12.
If it does not work, we'll know it's because of compression.
Otherwise, it could be the color of the surrounding pixels that have changed (it could be your image modification, but also the way I convert them in case you don't use a 4-bit palette).
Thanks in advance.
I'm sure we'll find a solution

#405 10 years ago

Could you please export your 0xD0C image and import it again without any other modification ? this way, it is simply converted from Compressed-1 to Raster-12.
If it does not work, we'll know it's because of compression.
Otherwise, it could be the color of the surrounding pixels that have changed (it could be your image modification, but also the way I convert them in case you don't use a 4-bit palette).
Thanks in advance.
I'm sure we'll find a solution

So I went ahead and exported all of the images from this mode and re-imported them without changing anything. That was easier than just doing 1 and hoping it would finally be selected as the picture in the mode.

So the image looks the same in Pinball Browser before anything is done and after it is re-imported, but you can see they have all changed from Compression-1 or Compression-7 to Raster-12.

Then I updated my game with the code. When any of the pictures come up in Xavier mode...they all now display a square box instead of the pictures outline as it should. After you do hit their required target and their picture is revealed....their picture is displayed in a square box. In the regular code they are displayed as just floating there.

I'm guessing the game is using a transparency around these heads. When they are exported the transparency is lost (or just not exported). As I said before, I did try to import a "head" image into Pinball Browser that did have a transparency around it, but as soon as it was imported into Pinball Browser it displayed the transparency as black around it. The plus side of that was, even though it displayed as a box before she was discovered....when the picture was revealed...it was at least floating instead of still being in a box. EDIT: In hindsight I realize this head is also in a box...you just can see it in game because the box is black along with the other surrounding area on the DMD at that time.

ORIGINAL.jpgORIGINAL.jpg Replacment.jpgReplacment.jpg Transparency.jpgTransparency.jpg Transparency_after_importing.jpgTransparency_after_importing.jpg

#406 10 years ago

I know there are other times that transparencies are used in the X-Men code (and I'm guessing others). For example....during Beast mode I have found 3 DMD image types that are layered one on top of the other when being displayed in the game.

It seems that a lot of instances of WHITE being displayed on the images in Pinball Browser is actually a transparency in the game and not white at all.

Below I have posted examples of the 3 images that would be stacked on top of each other during the game.

BACKGROUND.jpgBACKGROUND.jpg MIDGROUND.jpgMIDGROUND.jpg FOREGROUND.jpgFOREGROUND.jpg

#408 10 years ago

Can you not just remove the entire background of the image (hence creating an image with a transparent background) before re-importing?

I noticed when i re-did the gem finger animation that the entire sequence was actually a transparency and when displayed on my machine, there was some 'Follow Gem' text in the transparent part. The gem animation i did also had a cloudy background which i thought could be made better by removing the black backround entirely. I then had this thought:

If i remove the background of an image that is supposed to have a transparency, will the game display unwanted items in the background of my imported images?

Still yet to find this out, but thought i would chime in on this transparency thing.

#409 10 years ago

Can you not just remove the entire background of the image (hence creating an image with a transparent background) before re-importing?
I noticed when i re-did the gem finger animation that the entire sequence was actually a transparency and when displayed on my machine, there was some 'Follow Gem' text in the transparent part. The gem animation i did also had a cloudy background which i thought could be made better by removing the black backround entirely. I then had this thought:
If i remove the background of an image that is supposed to have a transparency, will the game display unwanted items in the background of my imported images?
Still yet to find this out, but thought i would chime in on this transparency thing.

On one of my above images (the one titled transparency) I did remove all of the background and made it a transparency all around her head. When I imported it into Pinball Browser it changed the floating head to having black around her head instead of the transparency. So I'm guessing the imported image losses the transparency when importing it.

I will try to post the original PNG that I imported, but I'm not sure if pinside will reformat it. It's also going to be really small.

UPDATE: It posted fine. If you open this image with a viewing / art program that supports transparencies you will see it is just a floating head with no borders.
Kitty.pngKitty.png

#410 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

v1.81 is for you
The number of instance for a message is displayed in the Edit box.
When there are several instances, you can check the box to make the message unique (provided there is free memory in the firmware) :

Thanks!

That update worked wonders for what I was looking to modify. I went back in and changed one occurrence of WOLVERINE to SHADOWCAT and all of the other Wolverines remained Wolverine. I loaded the code and noticed that Wolverine was back to being called Wolverine in the regular game. Then I finally got Shadowcat to come up in Xavier mode and she was listed as Shadowcat.

Thanks again.

#411 10 years ago

This is a pretty neat software package Well done. I changed the game over music in my BDK to play the Aggressive Expansion Track from the Dark Knight soundtrack. Very, very cool. I also changed the name LAU in the game to COW Just so the game could have a cow in it lol. FWIW FG does not seem to load all the audio. There do not seem to be hardly any voice quotes in the sound files. This may be because the game has three levels of sound...family, moderate, and adult but I could be wrong.

#412 10 years ago

oga posted what colors to use, perhaps the colors are somehow getting changed during re-save. It appears they have to adhere to the specific palette he mentioned earlier in this thread; some image editing programs may make changes to the image color palette when the image is re-saved.

#413 10 years ago

oga83, it looks like the cannon firing images would be a good place on AC/DC to check out the things I am experiencing. Not too many frames to swap and an easy animation to see in the game.

If you were to export and re-import 0x1229 - 0x1239 images. I believe the cannon animation on the game would just appear all white on the left side of the DMD....when normally it would show the background images of 0x123A - 0x1268. I think what is seen as white on these frames in Pinball Browser are actually transparencies (or where they should be).

It seems the transparency info is getting lost in the export and also lost when an image is imported (and converted to black during import).

I will do a little tinkering with the Beast image I posted above to see if it is really losing the transparency when importing (in which case I should NOT be able to see the background behind him) or Pinball Browser is just displaying transparencies that are imported as black.

#414 10 years ago

So I had 2 Beast images that cycle back and forth. In the game it has a background wall (which I posted above) and a foreground set of beakers (which is posted above).

I exported both of the Beast frames that cycle. One of them I just re-imported and the other I made a transparency around him. The one I just re-imported displayed the same as it always did in Pinball Browser (with white around it), but it was, of course, converted to a Raster-12 image. The image with the transparency around it showed black in all of the transparency areas when viewed in Pinball Browser.

I flashed these to the game and tested it out. They both displayed just as I thought they would...the first image (that was just re-imported) showed as white all around him and you could not see through the white to see the wall image that should be showing behind him. The second image that had the transparency drawn around him, displayed black all around him...and again you couldn't see through the black to see the background wall.

I think I've done all I am smart enough to do as far as this is concerned. I think this is tied to the images having transparencies, but I'm not good with art programs or understanding their options. I did have an option box pop up when I went to save my image after I made the transparity around it, but I didn't understand them so I just left them default.

Image-7BE.pngImage-7BE.png Transparency_before_import.jpgTransparency_before_import.jpg Transparency_after_re-import.jpgTransparency_after_re-import.jpg TransSave.jpgTransSave.jpg

#415 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I'm guessing the game is using a transparency around these heads. When they are exported the transparency is lost (or just not exported).

Thank you for all these tests. It will help.

I think you are correct : it's definetely a question of transparency.
I had a review of my code, and it seems that I am making a mistake with the white color. I am applying a 4-bit mask (to remove bits I didn't understand :- and that's why transparent pixels are displayed in white. I will investigate deeper on this.

#416 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

oga83, it looks like the cannon firing images would be a good place on AC/DC to check out the things I am experiencing. Not too many frames to swap and an easy animation to see in the game.
If you were to export and re-import 0x1229 - 0x1239 images. I believe the cannon animation on the game would just appear all white on the left side of the DMD....when normally it would show the background images of 0x123A - 0x1268. I think what is seen as white on these frames in Pinball Browser are actually transparencies (or where they should be).

Same thing will all the fonts

#417 10 years ago

Thanks for creating this. I had no problems updating the sounds in 24. I've hated some of the canned music and sounds on my 24 so this fixed all of that. You can even swap out Chole for someone else on the series. And the Sean Gallery music can be put in there to make it more realistic then some of the whiny music they used. Added the real CTU ringtone, so many changes that can help. Haven't done any graphics but the sound part works great. Just look for stuff on youtube and convert to an .mp3 and you've got tons of possibilities. I used Audacity so remember to use 'amplify' to boost the volume to match what stern did and 24000hz before you save and import.

Now all we need is a tool to finish the WOF code!

#418 10 years ago

I think I have another bug to report. I was just getting around to toying with the Macros feature a bit.

I got a stock X-Men LE 2.4 update and imported a picture, imported a different sound clip and changed a Message. Everything played and displayed fine in Pinball Browser. I saved the Marco.

I close down the program and restart it. I load X-Men LE 2.4. Load the Macro and run it. It seems that the message was changed fine and the sound was imported into the right location and plays fine, but there is a problem with the picture that was changed.

I tried it with 2 different pictures. 1 time it displayed nothing, but showed a blank Raster-12 where it should have been. The next picture I tried was simply exported and re-imported. When that was done, it displayed fine as a Raster-12 image, but when being auto imported with a Macro is is garbled looking.

I haven't tried browsing to any of the needed macro items. This test was done with everything named and placed in the same position as it was originally in.

PS: This image was the same as the Wolverine head that I posted on the last post of page 8 of this thread.

UPDATE: I tried this with a few bigger DMD images and they import fine using Macros, but I tried on a smaller AC/DC image and it also imported with the Macro feature as being garbled (it's originally a lightning bolt).

Garbled_Macro_Import.jpgGarbled_Macro_Import.jpg ACDC_Lightning_Bolt.jpgACDC_Lightning_Bolt.jpg

#419 10 years ago

I don't own a stern machine... but having played Avengers... someone needs to hack that POS and put some movie voice acting in it. That machine was a huge disappointed when I played it.

#420 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I saved the Macro.
I close down the program and restart it. I load X-Men LE 2.4. Load the Macro and run it. It seems that the message was changed fine and the sound was imported into the right location and plays fine, but there is a problem with the picture that was changed.

I think it's because there is a message definition after the image definition in the macro.
The bug is that the message is stored at the same location than the image
I'll fix it in next release; in the meantime, moving all the message definitions at the begining of the macro will solve this issue (it would be great if you can confirm this !).

[EDIT]v1.83 is available and should fix it

#421 10 years ago

Holy crap how did I miss this thread? This is some excellent work! This only works for Stern SAM games? I would be willing to bet that Stern Whitestar games (pre Pirates) have a very similar if not the same data structures. So obviously you must rip the ROMs yourself until Stern comes out with their new system. How are the images compressed? Is the algorithm documented? I'm assuming raster-12 is a 12-bit bitmap format?

#422 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Holy crap how did I miss this thread? This is some excellent work! This only works for Stern SAM games? I would be willing to bet that Stern Whitestar games (pre Pirates) have a very similar if not the same data structures. So obviously you must rip the ROMs yourself until Stern comes out with their new system. How are the images compressed? Is the algorithm documented? I'm assuming raster-12 is a 12-bit bitmap format?

It only works with SAM boards.
The formats are not documented and proprietary (sounds, images, ...).
Raster-12 is a 4-bit color bitmap + alpha channel.
'12' is just the internal type id.

#423 10 years ago

v1.83 now supports transparency.

When the 'Show transparency' checkbox is checked, transparent pixels are displayed in yellow.
Here is an example with Photoshop :

Transparency.pngTransparency.png

#424 10 years ago

This is an amazing program, I too want to express my thanks for this great work, I can now put in other TRON / daft punk tracks that Stern cheaped out on and replaced with custom jingles I've always hated.

Just wish there was a solution for extending sound duration for music tracks, do you think there will ever a be a chance to change that, it's not as simple as changing a play length parameter I take it somewhere in the code, as is this is already a god send, this feature would be my utopia.

THANKS!

#425 10 years ago

I think it's because there is a message definition after the image definition in the macro.
The bug is that the message is stored at the same location than the image
I'll fix it in next release; in the meantime, moving all the message definitions at the begining of the macro will solve this issue (it would be great if you can confirm this !).
[EDIT]v1.83 is available and should fix it

I still have the bug (even when exporting and re-importing with the latest version).

I first tried your suggestion with version 1.81 (message change at top). That didn't work. Then I tried it with 1.83 and it still ended up being a garbled image. Here's a pic of my Macro and the garbled pic.

Macro.jpgMacro.jpg Macro_Garble.jpgMacro_Garble.jpg

#426 10 years ago

If we can extract everything else can we extract the code it self? Or at least change the code itself? I mean I understand it's probably compiled code but can de-compile it and fiddle with it?

#427 10 years ago

So who is going to b the first to do a total retheme and is there anything holding anyone back...........This software seems to address everything needed.

#428 10 years ago

oga83, the macro feature bug doesn't seem to have anything to do with a message or sound file also being imported by the macro file.

I have attempted to do a very simple macro file on AC/DC. All I did was went to image 0x695 and exported the image. Then I re-imported the image. It displayed fine.

Then I go into the Macros tab and save the macro. Then I close the program. I start Pinball Browser back up and open the AC/DC software and then click the macros tab. I load the macro I saved and click run. It seems to apply fine.

But then when I go to the display system and browse to location 0x695...the image is skewed.

Strangely...if you do the exact same steps....except you first browse to location 0x695 on the display system and THEN you run the macro....it will re-import and display fine.

Here is the macro and I will post the image:

-- Pinball-Browser Macro File for AC/DC v1.65
Image,0x695,"C:\Users\DugFreez\Desktop\NEW ACDC\Image-695.png"

Image-695.pngImage-695.png

#429 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

But then when I go to the display system and browse to location 0x695...the image is skewed.
Strangely...if you do the exact same steps....except you first browse to location 0x695 on the display system and THEN you run the macro....it will re-import and display fine.

Fixed in v1.84
Thank you, it helped a lot to fix this issue

#430 10 years ago

v1.84 can be uploaded !
[EDIT]v1.85

Change log :
- Added the ability to increase the message length
- All pixels in motion frames are now exported (not only changed pixels)
- Fixed the dmd when you jump or move backward to motion images
- Renamed motion image types (compressed-x to motion-x)
- Really fixed the 'corrupted image bug in macros' (at least, I hope so !)
- [EDIT] Fixed a problem with free memory

#431 10 years ago

v2 is looming...
Can you guess what will be the new feature(s) ? bets are open...

Or maybe I'm just looking for some ideas

#432 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

v2 is looming...
Can you guess what will be the new feature(s) ? bets are open...

Or maybe I'm just looking for some ideas

Putting a longer song or voice call out would be awesome (redefine how much space in memory is used in that particular hex location). Getting a song to loop just right is really a pain, same for getting a voice call out that runs long to fit (I am using the tempo adjustment feature in audacity so the voice pitch doesn't change, but 20-30% is usually the threshold where it's just too fast).

#433 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

So who is going to b the first to do a total retheme and is there anything holding anyone back...........This software seems to address everything needed.

I've never player Sterns World Poker Tour, but it seems to get some love. At the same time a lot of people think the theme and art were a bit lacking. Seems like that would be a good candidate fro a re-theme.

Does the pinball_broswer utility work with Stern games from that era?

#434 10 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I've never player Sterns World Poker Tour, but it seems to get some love. At the same time a lot of people think the theme and art were a bit lacking. Seems like that would be a good candidate fro a re-theme.
Does the pinball_broswer utility work with Stern games from that era?

Yes, but not tested in depth

#435 10 years ago

WPC support?

#436 10 years ago

I figured I would post my first real macro post for X-Men:

So it seems all of the technical hurdles are out of the way to replace "lost" mutants in Xavier mode. Here is a run down of how to replace Wolverine with Shadowcat. This should work on a Pro (1.05) or LE (1.24) as both the Wolverine image and his name for Xavier mode are in the same location on both.

Download the latest version of Pinball Browser (currently 1.85) on the top post of this thread

Download the X-Men software here if you don't already have it:

http://www.sternpinball.com/GAME-code.shtml#

Download the Kitty.png image on this post.

Then start Pinball Browser and click "Open" and browse to the X-Men software.

Then click the "Macros" button then copy and paste this in the window:

Message,0,0x5DF,R"SHADOWCAT"
Image,0xD0C,"C:\Kitty.png"

Then click the "Run" button. You will get a Confirm box...click "Yes". Then a window will open that is wanting you to browse to the kitty.png file you downloaded. Browse to it and double click.

Then click the "Save as" button and it will ask where you want to save your newly modded software. I would give it a name different than stock so you can easily see it is a modded software.

The software is ready to flash. Happy hunting.

Kitty.pngKitty.png

#437 10 years ago

Nice work Dug, I hear shadowcat will make her debut in the next version as a ball save animation!

#438 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I figured I would post my first real macro post for X-Men

Very nice !

#439 10 years ago

For 2.0, how about the ability to replace audio clips with shorter/longer audio clips instead of them having to be the same size (or have silence/cut off).

#440 10 years ago

I had always assumed Stern's downloads were delta updates, but evidently they are full ROM images. Downloaded and messed with a few games, it's an interesting program. What format are the sounds in, OKI/IMA ADPCM or something less archaic?

#441 10 years ago

Here's a small suggestion for future versions.

Anyway to get in the code info screen? I mean when you power the game up is says the game name and code revision...anyway to change that so you can modify it? Either to personalize it or just add something to show it's a modified code.

#442 10 years ago

Tranparency on animations has been hard to figure out.
But I think this has been solved in v1.87 !
Many thanks to Dug for all the tests he did.

#443 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

WPC support?

No

#444 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

What format are the sounds in, OKI/IMA ADPCM or something less archaic?

- Type1 sounds are Adpcm encoded. For those who are not familiar with it, it is a sound compressing algorithm that is mainly used in telephony. The compression ratio is a fixed 1:4 (a 16-bit WAV sample is compressed to a 4-bit sample).
- Type2 sounds are compressed with a custom Adpcm-based algorithm. The compression ratio is 1:8 (fixed) !

Additional infos here :

#445 10 years ago

Tranparency on animations has been hard to figure out.
But I think this has been solved in v1.87 !
Many thanks to Dug for all the tests he did.

Great job on 1.87. Not only does it look to be the best image quality since you added the transparencies, but it also seems to refresh the images much better, if you are holding the left scroll button and browsing them in reverse, than any previous version.

In 1.87 it doesn't seem to matter if you are scrolling or sliding forward or backward....when you stop on an image it is rock solid. In the earlier versions it could get pretty messy looking if you were just randomly sliding. Of course you could usually correct this by clicking back a few frames and than click forward to the frame you wanted, but as I said, the images on 1.87 look rock solid.

I put a picture together to show the progress in 24 hours. Have you approached Stern for a job? I think they could really use your help.

Great job and thanks again.

// Error: Image 110297 not found //

#446 10 years ago

I just thought of another suggestion (or 2).

If you hold the right scroll button it scrolls through the images and that does a pretty good job of simulating the animations from the game playing. It seems most do scroll a bit faster than they play in the game I have noticed. This is great just to get a look at them, but would it be possible to add an option to throttle the speed of the scroll button to match the games animation speeds more closely?

The thing is, I don't know if this varies much from game to game, one version of Pinball Browser to another or even image type or not.

After looking through X-Men, Spider-Man and AC/DC it does appear that the custom drawn dot images "play" a bit faster than the live action clips (like the AC/DC concert sequence), but that may just be my imagination.

Also....how about a "play" button to auto scroll through the images...and even the sounds for that matter. As a matter of fact, there is a lot more clicking needed to listen through the sounds than it is to just click and hold to get through the images.

Just some thoughts...

#447 10 years ago

Thank you !

Quoted from DugFreez:

it also seems to refresh the images much better, if you are holding the left scroll button and browsing them in reverse, than any previous version.

This is correct as I redraw all the motion frames starting from the keyframe.

Quoted from DugFreez:

Have you approached Stern for a job? I think they could really use your help.

No, but I'm looking for a job at this time

#448 10 years ago

Is WPC support something you would consider in the future?
Or is their system too proprietary or locked down to make it a viable option?

#449 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Do you mean Bally WPC ?
I've never seen this game.
I suppose it is a quite different firmware, and it would be too difficult to support it without owning one.

#450 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Looks like there is already a program for WPC games, surprised no one seems to have mentioned it here. Been in development for several years.

http://pinhacks.com/showthread.php?tid=99

// Error: Image 110330 not found //

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
$ 18.95
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
Other
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
5,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fallston, MD
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
HurryUpPinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
Armor and blades
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 5,562 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.