5 (resized).png
4 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,576 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 112.
#4051 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I had that issue using etcher to burn the final copy on the SD... What worked for me was using the internal write to SD function of Pinball browser

Awesome will try that

EDIT - I see the write to card option in smartdmd but it won't allow me to select my file from the browser. I noticed it's looking for an image and went ahead and downloaded the win software but I thought I could just select the SD card file that I'm working off of in PB but no dice. Right now I'm flashing the SD file via the stern software so an image is created and then I'll read it off of the card through PB and then write through PB or the win32 software.

Little strange it can't done directly but I'll see if this works. If there is a better way to use the internal write to SD function of PB, lmk

EDIT 2 - so that didn't work. the firmware I'm working off of in PB is the SD card file from Stern (JP2). I've made the edits in PB now i need to burn the file but with internal PB software. It's looking for an Image file though - how would I burn this?

EDIT 3 - success. Need to use win32 software to burn and when selecting file, pick all files and select the custom firmware file I made. Write to SD - success.

Thanks!

#4052 3 years ago

Hello
I just took pinball browser with a license and I would like to know how to export all the sounds then the videos at the same time without doing it one by one. I also have an error message for the videos is this normal?

erreur (resized).PNGerreur (resized).PNG
#4053 3 years ago
Quoted from chucky87:

I would like to know how to export all the sounds then the videos at the same time without doing it one by one.

Pinball Browser v7 has no function for this.

Quoted from chucky87:

I also have an error message for the videos is this normal?

Are you trying to open a .spk file ? If so, use a SD card image instead.
Pinball Browser has a limited compatibility with .spk files (see FAQ).

#4054 3 years ago

I've never had any issues with Etcher.

#4055 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

I've never had any issues with Etcher.

I've actually had multiple issues with Etcher and have only started using it in the past month but have flashed a number of different SDs within that time. Mostly success but sometimes not. These are the issues I've faced and what I've done to overcome them. All of these descriptions are based on flashing a .raw Stern code (customized or not). I am using an external SD card USB reader BTW which could be compounding my problems. Or much of this could be faulty SDs but all of the ones I'm using are brand new. I do think overall there is a reliability issue with the Etcher software:
Reader I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARAH6O0/
SD cards I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0143RTB1E/

In any case, I hope this helps anyone facing similar issues:

1. Open etcher, select .raw file, then going to choose the drive/SD to flash to.
Issue: Drive/SD isn't an option (even though it is mounted and readable by my PC)
Solution: Remove SD and/or reader and plug back in or sometimes a full PC restart resolves.

2. Open etcher, select .raw file, choose the drive/SD to flash to, click Start.
Issue: Immediate "unknown error"
Solution: Restart PC and try again (no clue why this resolves the issue, possibly some cached memory problem that Etcher introduced during the previous flash)

3. Open etcher, select .raw file, choose the drive/SD to flash to, click Start, click yes for the resulting Allow prompt
Issue: Ether flashing progress starts as expected but nearing the end it displays an unknown error.
Solution: Re-format the SD and try again.

4. Etcher reports its successfully flashed with verification success. Load the flashed SD into my pin (Stern JP2) and boot up
Issue: JP2 just hangs, black screen on the DMD. All red lights on the board behind the backglass lit, nothing "blinking"

#4056 3 years ago

I am unable to access the download link? Is the host down?

EDIT: Work Firewall ... womp womp...

#4057 3 years ago
Quoted from VonPinball:

I am unable to access the download link? Is the host down?
EDIT: Work Firewall ... womp womp...

Hmmmm... If you’re at work shouldn’t you be...... working?

#4058 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Hmmmm... If you’re at work shouldn’t you be...... working?

All good employers know, you get better productivity out of a happy employee who takes periodic breaks to cut together music and video assets completely unrelated to the job

#4059 3 years ago

Hi @oga83. First let me say I love your software, I'm having so much fun with it.
I want to report a bug:
If I do video imports with no conversion, the macro thinks I'm doing them with conversion. This is for stern spike software for your reference. I am on pinball browser version 7.56.
Let me know if you would like any other details, and thank you so much for your hard work!

#4060 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

If I do video imports with no conversion, the macro thinks I'm doing them with conversion. This is for stern spike software for your reference. I am on pinball browser version 7.56.

[EDIT 2023-02-12] Adjusted for Pinball Browser v8.24 :

The "Video" macro syntax is as follow :

To import a video without conversion :
Video,Id,Filename,noconversion
To import a video with conversion :
Video,Id,Filename
or Video,Id,Filename,StartFrame
or Video,Id,Filename,StartFrame,EndFrame

Here is an example for JP 1.02 :

-- JP1.02
-- Import and convert a video
Video,0,"Converted.mp4",0,4910
-- Import a video file. No conversion. Parameters StartFrame and EndFrame are irrelevant here.
Video,0,"Raw_Video.mp4",noconversion
#4061 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

The "Video" macro syntax is as follow :
Video,Id,Filename,StartFrame,EndFrame,RawFlag
The last parameter can be either 0 (import video) or 1 (import file - No conversion)
Of course, for a file import, the StartFrame and Enframe parameters are irrelevant and ignored.
The "Import video..." and "Import file (no conversion)..." generate macros with the RawFlag set accordingly (0 and 1).
Here is an example for JP 1.02 :
-- JP1.02
-- Import and convert a video
Video,0,"Converted.mp4",0,4910,0
-- Import a video file. No conversion. Parameters StartFrame and EndFrame are irrelevant here.
Video,0,"Raw_Video.mp4",0,4910,1

I've just checked and it seems to work correctly.
To answer your message, I'd suggest you check that the RawFlag is set to 1.
If it's set to 1 and the file still is converted, please provide an example with your macro.

Thank you for responding back.
I noted that the macro has it set to '1' for the RawFlag, so it seems to be written correctly there.
The only reason I believe it is converting, is that I can hear my CPU fan ramp up and it takes a much longer time to run the macro than to import (without converting) by hand. I can send you an example file by PM? Thank you again for looking into this.

#4062 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

I noted that the macro has it set to '1' for the RawFlag, so it seems to be written correctly there.
The only reason I believe it is converting, is that I can hear my CPU fan ramp up and it takes a much longer time to run the macro than to import (without converting) by hand

Then I doubt it's converting.
The time it takes is not a clue on whether it's converting or not :
- Importing a video 'with conversion' reuses the same file.
- Importing 'as a file' replaces the existing file and involves more operations with the firmware image; thus, it can take more time.
Anytime it's possible, I rather suggest to use the "Import with conversion" function.
The "Import file" function as been added as a workaround for conversion failures (until I find out why !).

Anyway, it's very easy to check :
- Use a macro to import a video file with RawFlag=1
- Export the video you have just imported (Videos tab / dropdown menu / Export).
- Compare the exported file to the one you have imported ("fc /b file1 file2" in a command window).
- If the files are the same, no conversion was involved !

#4063 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Then I doubt it's converting.
The time it takes is not a clue on whether it's converting or not :
- Importing a video 'with conversion' reuses the same file.
- Importing 'as a file' replaces the existing file and involves more operations with the firmware image; thus, it can take more time.
Anytime it's possible, I rather suggest to use the "Import with conversion" function.
The "Import file" function as been added as a workaround for conversion failures (until I find out why !).
Anyway, it's very easy to check :
- Use a macro to import a video file with RawFlag=1
- Export the video you have just imported (Videos tab / dropdown menu / Export).
- Compare the exported file to the one you have imported ("fc /b file1 file2" in a command window).
- If the files are the same, no conversion was involved !

Ok, so you recommended normal video imports.
I have a few questions:
1. Is there any indication when the conversion fails?
2. What are the limitations when replacing a video? Right now, I am using the same frame count, and targeting a smaller file size than the original video. Is that necessary? Or does the import conversion take care of that?
3. I'm on a Stern spike machine. Sometimes after flashing to an SD card (using Balena Etcher) and inserting into the machine I will be stuck in a "boot-loop" where it will start booting up and restart itself automatically before fully loading and it will never fully load. Does this indicate anything specific I have done wrong while preparing the SD card image?
4. Is Balena Etcher the preferred way of flashing to the SD card? I couldn't find a way to write a .raw file to the SD card in Pinball Browser.

Thank you so much.

#4064 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Ok, so you recommended normal video imports.
I have a few questions:
1. Is there any indication when the conversion fails?
2. What are the limitations when replacing a video? Right now, I am using the same frame count, and targeting a smaller file size than the original video. Is that necessary? Or does the import conversion take care of that?
3. I'm on a Stern spike machine. Sometimes after flashing to an SD card (using Balena Etcher) and inserting into the machine I will be stuck in a "boot-loop" where it will start booting up and restart itself automatically before fully loading and it will never fully load. Does this indicate anything specific I have done wrong while preparing the SD card image?
4. Is Balena Etcher the preferred way of flashing to the SD card? I couldn't find a way to write a .raw file to the SD card in Pinball Browser.
Thank you so much.

1- In fact, it's not really the conversion that fails. Pinball Browser can still play it. Rather, it's the game that won't be able to use the new video. The only indication you have is that the game won't be able to play the video. The conversion is probably not perfectly suited for the game but I was yet not able to figure out why.
2- Pinball Browser will adjust the encoding, geometry and frame rate. It will not crop your video : you can import shorter or longer videos. The way the game will deal with a different length is another story : there is no general rule and it depends on each game and/or video.
3- Something is probably wrong with the way the SD card is written. Make sure to eject the SD card before pulling it from your reader.
4- Close your firmware, go to the SmartDmd tab and use the Disk Image / Write to SD function.

#4065 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

1- In fact, it's not really the conversion that fails. Pinball Browser can still play it. Rather, it's the game that won't be able to use the new video. The only indication you have is that the game won't be able to play the video. The conversion is probably not perfectly suited for the game but I was yet not able to figure out why.
2- Pinball Browser will adjust the encoding, geometry and frame rate. It will not crop your video : you can import shorter or longer videos. The way the game will deal with a different length is another story : there is no general rule and it depends on each game and/or video.
3- Something is probably wrong with the way the SD card is written. Make sure to eject the SD card before pulling it from your reader.
4- Close your firmware, go to the SmartDmd tab and use the Disk Image / Write to SD function.

Thank you very much! This is extremely helpful

#4066 3 years ago

One note on the Write to Disk Image function. I thought originally that I could not write .raw files using this, but that is only because the drop down does not filter for all image types. If I type in the file and path by hand, it will successfully write to the SD card.

write_SD (resized).pngwrite_SD (resized).png
#4067 3 years ago

Hi,
is there a way to use more than 1 palette within a .bin file with pinballbrowser and pin2dmd?
In my case its is for transformers pro (stern SAM system).

When I use more than one color palette (for example one color palette for movie animation and a different for a comic animation) the system will always use the default one

I found no answer to this question.

regards
Marco

#4068 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

I've actually had multiple issues with Etcher and have only started using it in the past month but have flashed a number of different SDs within that time. Mostly success but sometimes not. These are the issues I've faced and what I've done to overcome them. All of these descriptions are based on flashing a .raw Stern code (customized or not). I am using an external SD card USB reader BTW which could be compounding my problems. Or much of this could be faulty SDs but all of the ones I'm using are brand new. I do think overall there is a reliability issue with the Etcher software:
Reader I'm using: amazon.com link »
SD cards I'm using: amazon.com link »
In any case, I hope this helps anyone facing similar issues:
1. Open etcher, select .raw file, then going to choose the drive/SD to flash to.
Issue: Drive/SD isn't an option (even though it is mounted and readable by my PC)
Solution: Remove SD and/or reader and plug back in or sometimes a full PC restart resolves.
2. Open etcher, select .raw file, choose the drive/SD to flash to, click Start.
Issue: Immediate "unknown error"
Solution: Restart PC and try again (no clue why this resolves the issue, possibly some cached memory problem that Etcher introduced during the previous flash)
3. Open etcher, select .raw file, choose the drive/SD to flash to, click Start, click yes for the resulting Allow prompt
Issue: Ether flashing progress starts as expected but nearing the end it displays an unknown error.
4. Etcher reports its successfully flashed with verification success. Load the flashed SD into my pin (Stern JP2) and boot up
Issue: JP2 just hangs, black screen on the DMD. All red lights on the board behind the backglass lit, nothing "blinking"

Etcher is a cross-platform utility. You didn't mention which OS you are using. I'm using Etcher on the macOS. No issues with that tool.

#4069 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

One note on the Write to Disk Image function. I thought originally that I could not write .raw files using this, but that is only because the drop down does not filter for all image types.

Thanks. I'll add the .raw filter in the next version.

#4070 3 years ago
Quoted from wizzard72:

Hi,
is there a way to use more than 1 palette within a .bin file with pinballbrowser and pin2dmd?
In my case its is for transformers pro (stern SAM system).
When I use more than one color palette (for example one color palette for movie animation and a different for a comic animation) the system will always use the default one
I found no answer to this question.
regards
Marco

it sounds like you need to use the GPIO side channel option. however, I will tell you that I looked at all of the stern games at one time and really, only a few titles had enough extra, free ram available (those with licensed music) to do any justice to any of those games (due to the fact that stern included double the ram chips on those titles).
memory (resized).pngmemory (resized).png

I remember that I ran out of memory for X-Men simply by coloring the magneto multi-ball sequence here's some of what I remember doing
magneto (resized).jpgmagneto (resized).jpg
phoenix (resized).jpgphoenix (resized).jpg
storm (resized).jpgstorm (resized).jpg

#4071 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Etcher is a cross-platform utility. You didn't mention which OS you are using. I'm using Etcher on the macOS. No issues with that tool.

Windows 10. Most of the time no issues but I am using it a lot, and with different but the same type of SD cards and would say there's some kind of 1/5 failure rate at least. I'm thinking of using a different utility/app moving forward.

#4072 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Windows 10. Most of the time no issues but I am using it a lot, and with different but the same type of SD cards and would say there's some kind of 1/5 failure rate at least. I'm thinking of using a different utility/app moving forward.

I was having a lot of issues with etcher as well - it was creating failed flashes about 1/4 for me. Now I exclusively use the flashing built into pinball browser and I don't have any problems. You can actually flash .raw files from it, just type in the absolute file path. Once the flash is done, eject the drive on the my computer screen and you are good to go.

#4073 3 years ago

Sounds like there may have been some issues with the Windows build, but Etcher is updated quite often. I'm sure it will be fixed. You could help by submitting bug reports.

Burning from Pinball Browser is not possible for me, because I use a Mac and have to go to virtualization to use Pinball Browser Unfortunately, the internal SD card reader is not on the USB bus, so can't be transferred into the VM like a Jump Drive or other USB device. I do my editing in the VM, then copy the image back to the host (Mac) and burn with Etcher. No issues with this process if someone reading this is also on a Mac.

#4074 3 years ago

just tested the compare firmware function for tmnt 1.21. Just works great.
It searched the new ones, changed the others and with an upload everything is again ready to go.

thanks that function makes it so easy

#4075 3 years ago

HDD Raw Copy has worked 100% for imaging SD cards. I use the portable build that doesn't need to be installed.

www.hddguru.com

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4076 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

it sounds like you need to use the GPIO side channel option.

PIN2DMD does not support GPIO sidechannel, but serial sidechannel. You can use the pin2dmd editor to overcome
the memory limit by coloring the non dynamic scenes there and the scenes with dynamic content like score etc in pinball browser.

#4077 3 years ago

so I'm updating JP code with videos and I'm not receiving any errors when doing it but when I go to put the raw file on SD card, in burns fine (tried win32 and sterns recommended software) yet upon boot up it shows me game code start then insert usb for code on the machine. Any ideas why this is happening?

using 7.56

EDIT - I had to start over. Also video clips need to really match the time if not shorter than originals otherwise it will get corrupted. Huge pain in the ass but thank god for this software! It's truly remarkable!

#4078 3 years ago

Similar to what delt31 said, I ran into a few issues immediately upon implementing a single video change in JP 1.02 (using PB 7.56). The file I was importing was an H.264 .mp4 converted from a .mov file. All I did was add some overlay text/graphics to the existing video that I had exported from PB to edit, then bounced that version of the video to a new .mp4.

Issue 1: Video did not seem to import when testing on my JP pin. The stock video was still playing.

Cause: In the Videos tab I located the video I wanted to replace. There were two nearly identical locations JawsIntroToIsland_Title and JawsIntroToIsland_Title_NoText. The issue is that PB wasn't actually honoring the video location I was at. I would type in and let PB autofill the location name and hit enter. While it appeared I was at that video location (which are 0x60 and 0x61), it kept showing that I was at location 0x0. So when I was importing manually I was unknowingly importing my video to the 0x0 location over and over again.

Solution: Start over with a fresh code version. Then I kept having to quit and restart PB to make sure that when I hit enter, I was actually looking at and importing to the right location. I can consistently reproduce this. Here's a screenshot. Note that it shows 0x0 when it should be showing 0x60. Trying to select another location from the dropdown list also results in me staying at 0x0 BTW.

2020-08-30_11-22-49 (resized).png2020-08-30_11-22-49 (resized).png

Issue 2: Videos tab > Import Video option appears to be broken. Any time I use that option to import a video file I get a nasty null reference exception (sorry I don't have a screenshot of that as reproing it corrupts the firmware file = Issue 3).

Solution: Only use the Import file (no conversion) option instead. However, this also resulted in an error if I tried to import the same .mp4 file to the other location JawsIntroToIsland_Title_NoText after I had just imported it without error to JawsIntroToIsland_Title.

Issue 3: Upon any given, seemingly successful flash of the new firmware the pin wouldn't load up. Instead it would show the JP logo, then say "game restarting..." over and over in a loop.

Cause: Not entirely sure. I feel like each time this happened was after I got some kind of Issue 2 error in PB which was corrupting the firmware.

Solution: Start over and try again. If you don't get any errors upon importing video files the resulting firmware should load up correctly.

Perhaps, overall the safer bet is to use macros instead of manual UI importing for videos? Not trying to knock this feature whatsoever, it's amazing. Just wanted to provide some input for possible bug fixes and to help others running into the same.

#4079 3 years ago

how would I go about viewing UI icon/image type stuff? For example, the pizza toppings in TMNT or the power feature icons in Iron Maiden?

I would have thought the display tab but all that I see there adjustments menu type stuff.

#4080 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

how would I go about viewing UI icon/image type stuff? For example, the pizza toppings in TMNT or the power feature icons in Iron Maiden?
I would have thought the display tab but all that I see there adjustments menu type stuff.

Go to the scenes tab and expand a scene until you see "all members" then find the image files.

#4081 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Go to the scenes tab and expand a scene until you see "all members" then find the image files

Ahh I see. I haven't paid for a license yet. I wanted to make sure I could actually use it for something before paying the fee. But I believe the scenes are locked behind the license... decisions, decisions...

#4082 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Ahh I see. I haven't paid for a license yet. I wanted to make sure I could actually use it for something before paying the fee. But I believe the scenes are locked behind the license... decisions, decisions...

$20 is one of the cheapest prices I've paid for a Pinball related purchase. And this one is one of the most powerful. If anything, just consider it a tip to the developer for providing a wonderful tool to the community.

#4083 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

$20 is one of the cheapest prices I've paid for a Pinball related purchase. And this one is one of the most powerful. If anything, just consider it a tip to the developer for providing a wonderful tool to the community.

Agreed. Even if you only use it once, it's well worth the price.

#4084 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

oga83 How can this feature be used for .RAW files? It only allows selecting a .IMG file.

#4085 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

oga83 How can this feature be used for .RAW files? It only allows selecting a .IMG file.

You can manually type in the absolute path and file name to burn a raw image.
I reported that bug recently and oga83 is going to fix it in a future release.

#4086 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

You can manually type in the absolute path and file name to burn a raw image.
I reported that bug recently and oga83 is going to fix it in a future release.

Thanks daveyvandy But when I paste in the full file path then hit Write to SD I get this. Is this b/c I have already opened that same file in PB? I just tried the same but without opening the .RAW file first. It's writing now. Unfortunately the only reason I'm doing the PB write to SD method vs Balena vs Win32DiskImager is b/c no matter what, the resulting SD in the machine does that restarting game loop/never loads up, it gives me the "restarting game" loop over and over. All I've done is taken a working .RAW, add a single .mp4 video, no errors in the import process. I'm used to seeing a video file upload error during a given PB video import to let me know that the code is borked.

NOPE No dice with this PB write to SD method. Still getting that damn "restarting game" loop. I don't know what could possibly be going wrong here. I've tried everything. oga83 Can you please help?

2020-08-31_17-37-08 (resized).png2020-08-31_17-37-08 (resized).png

#4087 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Thanks daveyvandy But when I paste in the full file path then hit Write to SD I get this. Is this b/c I have already opened that same file in PB? I just tried the same but without opening the .RAW file first. It's writing now. Unfortunately the only reason I'm doing the PB write to SD method vs Balena vs Win32DiskImager is b/c no matter what, the resulting SD in the machine does that restarting game loop/never loads up, it gives me the "restarting game" loop over and over. All I've done is taken a working .RAW, add a single .mp4 video, no errors in the import process. I'm used to seeing a video file upload error during a given PB video import to let me know that the code is borked.
NOPE No dice with this PB write to SD method. Still getting that damn "restarting game" loop. I don't know what could possibly be going wrong here. I've tried everything. oga83 Can you please help?
[quoted image]

You have to close the image first by pressing the drop down next to the folder icon in the top of pinball browser and pressing close firmware. Then write it. After it is written, make sure you eject it from your computer by right clicking the drive and pressing eject.
I had tons of similar problems using Etcher to write to SD. And using this method with Pinball browser does not give me any reboot loops anymore.
I will say, there are rare cases where importing a video will cause boot loops even with this method. Just try writing the original raw image first and use this method, then try rewriting it with your change.

#4088 3 years ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

Agreed. Even if you only use it once, it's well worth the price.

Well, I tried to donate but got this error.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4089 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

You have to close the image first by pressing the drop down next to the folder icon in the top of pinball browser and pressing close firmware. Then write it. After it is written, make sure you eject it from your computer by right clicking the drive and pressing eject.
I had tons of similar problems using Etcher to write to SD. And using this method with Pinball browser does not give me any reboot loops anymore.

That would be a good explanation why people are having problems using an external flasher program like etcher.
On Windows and WinDiskImager, the image won't open when it's still in use in Pinball Browser but that might not be the case on other platforms or flasher programs.

Quoted from timlah79:

[quoted image]

Other than that, I can't see any other reason.

Quoted from shaub:

Well, I tried to donate but got this error.

Can you please PM me what's displayed when you click on the error message "Details" button ?

#4090 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

PIN2DMD does not support GPIO sidechannel, but serial sidechannel. You can use the pin2dmd editor to overcome
the memory limit by coloring the non dynamic scenes there and the scenes with dynamic content like score etc in pinball browser.

unless you implemented a new mask I'm not aware of this is not possible,

I'm pretty much done making keyframes for my 3rd and 4th Sam color project and I counted 3 scenes you can color in Tron with the PIN2DMD editor.
-AttractMode Stern Logo
-Ball Save
-First Frame of Info

take a look at the videos, the majority of scenes in SAM roms have the players scores in the left side of the screen. Unless you implement a new mask that
lets you do a color mask on the left side (players scores) and a replacement mask for everything right of the players scores, coloring frames in the PIN2DMD will not be possible.

and on a side note is their any documentation explaining what the limitations and features are for what can be done with the image import feature.

the team logos on NBA look like crap and I like to import vectored images
do they have to be black and white
can they be colored --> will the colors be show in the proejct or will I have to make a a pallet and color everything.

Added over 4 years ago:

edit never mind, just saw what can be done with the image import features on th first post

but I know remembered of an feature I like to see added

can the
color selected
tool selected
not reset when you hit the "save and edit next image"

#4091 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

That would be a good explanation why people are having problems using an external flasher program like etcher.
On Windows and WinDiskImager, the image won't open when it's still in use in Pinball Browser but that might not be the case on other platforms or flasher programs.

Agreed. This is the most likely reason people are having issues with Etcher on Windows.

Since I have to copy the image file out of the Windows VM and onto the host Mac to flash, I would never encounter this problem.

#4092 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Similar to what delt31 said, I ran into a few issues immediately upon implementing a single video change in JP 1.02 (using PB 7.56). The file I was importing was an H.264 .mp4 converted from a .mov file. All I did was add some overlay text/graphics to the existing video that I had exported from PB to edit, then bounced that version of the video to a new .mp4.
Issue 1: Video did not seem to import when testing on my JP pin. The stock video was still playing.
Cause: In the Videos tab I located the video I wanted to replace. There were two nearly identical locations JawsIntroToIsland_Title and JawsIntroToIsland_Title_NoText. The issue is that PB wasn't actually honoring the video location I was at. I would type in and let PB autofill the location name and hit enter. While it appeared I was at that video location (which are 0x60 and 0x61), it kept showing that I was at location 0x0. So when I was importing manually I was unknowingly importing my video to the 0x0 location over and over again.
Solution: Start over with a fresh code version. Then I kept having to quit and restart PB to make sure that when I hit enter, I was actually looking at and importing to the right location. I can consistently reproduce this. Here's a screenshot. Note that it shows 0x0 when it should be showing 0x60. Trying to select another location from the dropdown list also results in me staying at 0x0 BTW.
[quoted image]
Issue 2: Videos tab > Import Video option appears to be broken. Any time I use that option to import a video file I get a nasty null reference exception (sorry I don't have a screenshot of that as reproing it corrupts the firmware file = Issue 3).
Solution: Only use the Import file (no conversion) option instead. However, this also resulted in an error if I tried to import the same .mp4 file to the other location JawsIntroToIsland_Title_NoText after I had just imported it without error to JawsIntroToIsland_Title.
Issue 3: Upon any given, seemingly successful flash of the new firmware the pin wouldn't load up. Instead it would show the JP logo, then say "game restarting..." over and over in a loop.
Cause: Not entirely sure. I feel like each time this happened was after I got some kind of Issue 2 error in PB which was corrupting the firmware.
Solution: Start over and try again. If you don't get any errors upon importing video files the resulting firmware should load up correctly.
Perhaps, overall the safer bet is to use macros instead of manual UI importing for videos? Not trying to knock this feature whatsoever, it's amazing. Just wanted to provide some input for possible bug fixes and to help others running into the same.

oga83 This video import issue is driving me insane. Can you please help?

Steps I take:

1. Open fresh version of a working, previously edited firmware .RAW
2. Upon no bookmarks available, check online prompts and I choose NO
3. Go to Scenes > Select "Search and bookmark videos"
4. Go to Videos > locate and confirm the Video location of the video I want to replace
5. Import a new version of that same video .mp4, same length (and even same filename as a test but either way new or old filename fails)
6. Select "Import video..."
RESULT: This error:
2020-09-01_10-57-11 (resized).png2020-09-01_10-57-11 (resized).png

Try again starting over with a new copy of a working .RAW and go through steps 1-5
6. Try Import file (no conversion...) instead
2020-09-01_15-26-28 (resized).png2020-09-01_15-26-28 (resized).png

NOTE: I have also re-downloaded all the ffmpeg .exe's and put them into the main PB 7.56 folder. I still cannot play videos within PB from the Videos tab either. I click the Play button and nothing happens. Also when PB prompts you to download ffmpeg it takes you to a link that downloads some kind of .tar file, not an archive of the actual .exe's PB expects...

What could be going on here? Appreciate anyone's help.

#4093 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Steps I take:
4. Go to Videos > locate and confirm the Video location of the video I want to replace
5. Import a new version of that same video .mp4, same length (and even same filename as a test but either way new or old filename fails)
[quoted image]
Try again starting over with a new copy of a working .RAW and go through steps 1-5
[quoted image]
NOTE: I have also re-downloaded all the ffmpeg .exe's and put them into the main PB 7.56 folder. I still cannot play videos within PB from the Videos tab either. I click the Play button and nothing happens. Also when PB prompts you to download ffmpeg it takes you to a link that downloads some kind of .tar file, not an archive of the actual .exe's PB expects...

Maybe try running pinball browser in administrator mode? Just throwing out a guess.

#4094 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Steps I take:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

at the moment i don't have the licensed version of Pinball Browser in front of me. But i can play videos 0x0 and 0x1 without Problem. Can you play this videos and replace them?
for ffmpeg i used this version: https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
my guess is that if you have problems playing Files the ffmpeg version is not right. Without working ffmpeg you will not be able to replace the files

when i have a licensed version in front of me i will try to replace videos and test if it works.

#4095 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Also when PB prompts you to download ffmpeg it takes you to a link that downloads some kind of .tar file, not an archive of the actual .exe's PB expects...

When FFmpeg is not installed, Pinball Browser redirects to this page :
FFmpeg1 (resized).pngFFmpeg1 (resized).png
Click on the Windows button, and you'll get the download link :
FFmpeg4 (resized).pngFFmpeg4 (resized).png
Follow this link, click on "Download Build" and you'll get a .zip file which contains :
FFmpeg3 (resized).pngFFmpeg3 (resized).png
These are the files that Pinball Brower expects to find in its root directory (with Pinball-Browser.exe)

#4096 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Steps I take:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I can't reproduce that.
What I did :
- Downloaded a fresh JP1.02 LE firmware;
- Opened it with PB v7.56 and used the "Scenes / Search and Bookmark videos" function;
- In the "Videos" tab, I went to 0x60, used "Import Video..." to import a ramdom .mp4 (my file has 4911 frames instead of 705 for the original video) :
Pb1 (resized).pngPb1 (resized).png
- And the result is here :
Pb2 (resized).pngPb2 (resized).png
The firmware filesystem is very sensitive. If you experience a crash in PB, it can get corrupted (my filesystem code does not implement journal recovery) and you'd better start with a fresh one.

#4097 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I can't reproduce that.
What I did :
- Downloaded a fresh JP1.02 LE firmware;
- Opened it with PB v7.56 and used the "Scenes / Search and Bookmark videos" function;
- In the "Videos" tab, I went to 0x60, used "Import Video..." to import a ramdom .mp4 (my file has 4911 frames instead of 705 for the original video) :
[quoted image]
- And the result is here :
[quoted image]
The firmware filesystem is very sensitive. If you experience a crash in PB, it can get corrupted (my filesystem code does not implement journal recovery) and you'd better start with a fresh one.

Thanks oga83 . I just tried your exact steps, fresh ffmpeg, PB 7.56, and JP 1.02 downloads and have the same results. No ability to play videos, same errors / exceptions upon import. Is there any action I need to take against those ffmpeg exe's besides simply copying them into the PB root folder? Does this point to an issue with my PC in general? I don't have another PC I can try this on. I've never had any issues like this with audio.

#4098 3 years ago

Is the error happening immediately after clicking on "Import video..." or does it take some time ?
It it takes some time, it means that the import has started. If so, can the new video be played once you restart Pinball Browser ?

#4099 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Thanks oga83 . I just tried your exact steps, fresh ffmpeg, PB 7.56, and JP 1.02 downloads and have the same results. No ability to play videos, same errors / exceptions upon import. Is there any action I need to take against those ffmpeg exe's besides simply copying them into the PB root folder? Does this point to an issue with my PC in general? I don't have another PC I can try this on. I've never had any issues like this with audio.

sounds very bad. I tried to play it through and on my pc it worked. Downloaded jp 1.02 LE and replaced video. Playing and replacing worked.
What os are you using? Windows 10?
where is the pb 7.56 folder located in downloads? or have you moved it somewhere else?
where is the jp 1.02 folder located, local disk?
maybe some information on this can help to figure out why it is not working.

#4100 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Is the error happening immediately after clicking on "Import video..." or does it take some time ?
It it takes some time, it means that the import has started. If so, can the new video be played once you restart Pinball Browser ?

Both paths lead to an immediate error. And no I have never been able to play videos from any version of PB. :/

Quoted from cabal:

sounds very bad. I tried to play it through and on my pc it worked. Downloaded jp 1.02 LE and replaced video. Playing and replacing worked.
where is the pb 7.56 folder located in downloads? or have you moved it somewhere else?
maybe some information on this can help to figure out why it is not working.

YES, Windows 10.

It's in C:\Users\[My Name]\Documents\JP Sound Replacement (MOVED 4-18x03-19-20)\PinballBrowser756\ - I have wondered if the location or my weird folder name is the issue. I tried moving \PinballBrowser756 and a sample video file .mp4 to my Desktop root folder but that didn't change anything.

C:\Users\[My Name]\Documents\JP Sound Replacement (MOVED 4-18x03-19-20)\jurassic_park_le-1_02_0.Release.8G.sdcard.raw\

What folder should PB be located in general? Willing to try just about anything at this point. Thank you both again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

5,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wichita, KS
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,576 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/82?hl=vonpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.