5 (resized).png
4 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,576 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 112.
#351 10 years ago

OK, need some help with my ACDC pro V1.65. I replaced Let there be rock with Dirty Deeds and the update keeps on failing after step 1 of 3. It says error 8. Any idea what could be causing it. I know the song is shorter, but I thought that was ok? I did everything as instructed. I assume when everyone else gets the update fail, they are at the end of 3 of 3?

#352 10 years ago

Step 1 of 3? Are you trying to verify the image? You don't want to do that, it will fail.

#353 10 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Step 1 of 3? Are you trying to verify the image? You don't want to do that, it will fail.

Agreed. I only got the update failed message after step 3 which still results in the modified code being applied correctly. I skipped image verification as well.

#354 10 years ago

Yup, that did it. Thanks guys!!!! This rocks!!!!

#355 10 years ago

Think I will tackle my Metallica tomorrow. Game needs fight fire with fire

#356 10 years ago

Some shitty video of whiskey in a jar. Replaced unforgiven with it. It was super easy. Very excited to fully tweak my song list now.

#action=share

#357 10 years ago

Lots of new images in the metallica 1.13 that are not used yet. Good stuff!

#358 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I don't know anything, but I'm guessing changing the coding to actually display the name of the replaced song isn't going to be happening anytime soon. That seems like it would be in a whole different area of modifying the software...but who knows.

With version 1.70, you can modify the message table

Most of the texts are in this table (mainly the ones that are multi-lingual), but some are not.
Go to the 'Messages' tab, choose you language, double-click on a message and enter a new text.
The length of a message can be shortened, and sometimes enlarged (there is a constraint on the entry so that you cannot enter too long text). Never remove 'printf' patterns like %d, %lu, %s, ... or the pinball program will crash...

#359 10 years ago

And it just keeps getting better. Thanks for adding the ability to change text!!!
Here is my new song title.

IMG_0010.jpgIMG_0010.jpg

#360 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

With version 1.70, you can modify the message table
Most of the texts are in this table (mainly the ones that are multi-lingual), but some are not.
Go to the 'Messages' tab, choose you language, double-click on a message and enter a new text.
The length of a message can be shortened, and sometimes enlarged (there is a constraint on the entry so that you cannot enter too long text). Never remove 'printf' patterns like %d, %lu, %s, ... or the pinball program will crash...

Great job, once again. I do have a quick suggestion for an added feature after flipping through the messages feature a bit.

Could you add a "find" feature for the messages tab? A window to type in what you are looking for and also a "next" and "previous" button to cycle through found results?

#361 10 years ago

Awesome. Not I need to change my song title on Metallica and reflash AGAIN. I'm flashing my game way too often now

#362 10 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Some shitty video of whiskey in a jar. Replaced unforgiven with it. It was super easy. Very excited to fully tweak my song list now.

Nice! both on modding, and the fact that you picked up a metallica.. I guess no projects for a while?

I'm loving this thread, now if I only had a modern stern to play around with code too

#363 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Nice! both on modding, and the fact that you picked up a metallica.. I guess no projects for a while?
I'm loving this thread, now if I only had a modern stern to play around with code too

No projects for myself. Plenty of work for others.

I can't believe more people aren't excited about this. This should truly be the hottest topic on pinside right now. It's something with discussing.

Jim.

#364 10 years ago

This is awesome! I was thinking the only thing missing was changing the text.

#365 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Great job, once again. I do have a quick suggestion for an added feature after flipping through the messages feature a bit.
Could you add a "find" feature for the messages tab? A window to type in what you are looking for and also a "next" and "previous" button to cycle through found results?

I was pretty sure that somebody would ask for this

#366 10 years ago

I wonder what the album titles are doing in the MEtallica rom ... hmmmmm

#367 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Whaaaaa? Some crazy match the song to the album bonuses like acdc and matching the tours?

Jim

#368 10 years ago

This is interesting.

Metallica PRO and LE are identical with regards to images and sounds.
BUT the LE has much less free memory available, which can only be attributed to programming rules and messages!

Name = METALLICA LE Version : v1.13 Date : JUN. 10, 2013 Free memory : 270079
Sound System :
1152 sound requests 3518 sound scripts (v3) 1174 sound fragments Type 1 : 1174
Display System : 4791 images (v2) Raster-0 : 1895 Compressed-1 : 720 Compressed-3 : 2 Compressed-7 : 2086 Compressed-9 : 18 Raster-12 : 70

Name = METALLICA PRO Version : v1.13 Date : Free memory : 314815
Sound System :
1152 sound requests 3518 sound scripts (v3) 1174 sound fragments Type 1 : 1174
Display System : 4791 images (v2) Raster-0 : 1895 Compressed-1 : 720
Compressed-3 : 2 Compressed-7 : 2086 Compressed-9 : 18 Raster-12 : 70

#369 10 years ago

No projects for myself. Plenty of work for others.
I can't believe more people aren't excited about this. This should truly be the hottest topic on pinside right now. It's something with discussing.
Jim.

I'm totally agree with you. I'm surpised more people aren't talking about this considering all the possibilities it offers.

If you consider this utility a "mod" then its truly the most significant one ever. With some effort (ie a lot) you could totally re-theme a modern Stern machine with all new call outs, music, dots, and sound effects. The only thing we can't change (yet) is the rules.

#370 10 years ago

Metallica re themed into Iron Maiden like everyone keeps wanting is a very real reality with this.

#371 10 years ago

Metallica re themed into Iron Maiden like everyone keeps wanting is a very real reality with this.

except the superb maiden art would be missing.

#372 10 years ago

It is just fun browsing the rom file. It is amazing how stuff is really in there. It really makes you aware of the amount of time it must take to create it all. You get to see some of the ideas they just did not have time to implement yet.

#373 10 years ago

What can be done on IM? Anyone do anything cool with that?

#374 10 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Based on some of his other projects I think Whridlsoncestood would be up to the task of re-arting a playfield.

#375 10 years ago

Just out of curiosity, what does it mean in the message window (when you double click a message to change it) when it says something like (X/Y) "14/15" or "17/19" at the bottom? I'm guessing that means the message is using X characters of Y available, and that the message cannot be longer than Y?

Very nice work oga83!

#376 10 years ago

Hehe, there's even vocal quotes from James saying all the album names, but he can't keep a straight face on 'black album'.

#377 10 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Based on some of his other projects I think Whridlsoncestood would be up to the task of re-arting a playfield.

Trust me. Gears are turning in my head. It's tought to do something like that when its in perfect shape already, has great art and is a huge chunk of change to start. Once one of these games is heavily routed and beat to hell I will take on this project

Jim

#378 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

Hehe, there's even vocal quotes from James saying all the album names, but he can't keep a straight face on 'black album'.

Does he say St Anger anywhere? I noticed every album is present in some way on the playfield art. Can't find and hints to that one tho. Nor is any music from it. Not complaining. Just curious if it is completely free of that album in every way.

Jim

#379 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

Just out of curiosity, what does it mean in the message window (when you double click a message to change it) when it says something like (X/Y) "14/15" or "17/19" at the bottom? I'm guessing that means the message is using X characters of Y available, and that the message cannot be longer than Y?
Very nice work oga83!

You are right !

#380 10 years ago

Wow. How did I miss out on this thread? Awesome work. Now I might have to seriously think about getting a Metallica and tweaking the song list. That would be awesome! I had a pretty fun time playing a pro last weekend and a different song list would totally do it for me.

#381 10 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Not if someone redid the dots (which is possible with Pinball Browser) and re-did the playfield, translite, and cabinet art.

I expect to see big things from this small (only 56KB) program, but a complete re-theme will take time.

I think there needs to be a "Re-Theme by Expo 2013" competition.

#382 10 years ago

Does he say St Anger anywhere? I noticed every album is present in some way on the playfield art. Can't find and hints to that one tho. Nor is any music from it. Not complaining. Just curious if it is completely free of that album in every way.
Jim

I went through the rom again and I think they removed that from 1.13, it was at position 1134; 0x3A0 in 1.06. Things have been changed around a bit. I think they took out "black album (james laughs)" as well.

#383 10 years ago

Can we summarize (please correct me if I get anything wrong)

If you replace a song, and it's longer it gets cut off, if it's too short you get dead air at the end
I'm assuming if you replace animation, it has to be the same number of frames?

Not saying a retheme isn't impossible on existing Sterns, but beyond rules it could be somewhat limiting?

Maybe I'll play around with this and see if I can make some custom animation

#384 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Can we summarize (please correct me if I get anything wrong)
If you replace a song, and it's longer it gets cut off, if it's too short you get dead air at the end
Not saying a retheme isn't impossible on existing Sterns, but beyond rules it could be somewhat limiting?
Maybe I'll play around with this and see if I can make some custom animation

Limiting is one term...challenging is another.

I found replacing Creeping Death with Ride the Lightning on Metallica was a no brainier. They were the same length. Oddly enough Creeping Death is what plays during Electric Chair Multiball. So what is more fitting during Electric Chair Multiball... a song about a plague in Egypt or a song about an getting killed in an electric chair?

Replacing the live tracks during the attract juke box in AC/DC seem to be very simple as long as you put in a shorter song.

The biggest drawback in my mind was the DMD had the title of one some when you selected the added other song...that is no longer an issue. The DMD can be matched with the song selected.

I would agree that a complete re-theme would be a challenge as of now, but I think with work it would be possible. I also think AC/DC and Metallica for another band would be the easiest route to do this.

Rock! Rock On!

#385 10 years ago

So what has been the best integration for Dirty Deeds so far? Just as a radio track?

#386 10 years ago

a simple suggestion (if still not done), see all the messages here :

for those who have rebuild a own ROM, why not create a new topic with all (and only) these put in there & available for others to dwld (if, of course, this is not a legal problem)

with info on the pin/ROM, the mod done, & of course the dwld link

!?

#387 10 years ago

v1.80 has new features :

- You can create, record and run macros. They can be used to share mods
When you patch something (sound, image, message), a new line is added in the macro list.
You can save this list in a PBM file (Pinball Browser Macro, but it's a text file) and reload it later.
You can also modify the list by hand, provided you comply with the existing syntax. This can be used to add comments (a line starting with --).
Of course, it is possible to run the macros to re-apply all the changes you made
This will help with potential license issues (do not distribute firmwares, sounds, ..., that you don't own)
Share your macros !

- Message list : Search field, Search-Next button, Message number

- Some minor changes/fixes listed in the change log

As usual, the download link and the change log are in the OP.

#388 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Yes

#389 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Thanks.
Another valuable suggestion
Done in v1.80

#390 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

And it just keeps getting better. Thanks for adding the ability to change text!!!
Here is my new song title.

Good job !
Could you please tell us which message number and sound number you had to replace ?
Or better, share a v1.80 macro for this mod ?
Thanks in advance

#391 10 years ago

oga83 -

Can these revised changes be easily saved into a ROM? For instance when dirty deeds song and title to are changed in above thread, can that person burn changes to ROM file using a software front end so others only need to upload it rather than recreate? Removing these steps of installing extra software and having to do it replicate same shanges may seem trivial, but these are additional barriers to those of us who are not computer literate, but who can install a memory stick and flip a dip switch to upload code.

#392 10 years ago

Its truly amazing what you have accomplished oga83 with this tool. Thanks for your continued work.

Is it possible to see the rules programmed in the rom? I understand it's a compile, but it would be very cool to peek inside and see the rules or the programming logic even if it was impossible to change the code. It would help to understand the complexity and marvel of these games.

#393 10 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

oga83 -
Can these revised changes be easily saved into a FOM? For instance when dirty deeds song and title to are changed in above thread, can that person burn changes to ROM file using a software front end so others only need to upload it rather than recreate? Removing these steps of installing extra software and having to do it replicate same shanges may seem trivial, but these are additional barriers to those of us who are not computer literate, but who can install a memory stick and flip a dip switch to upload code.

Do you mean something like bsdiff/bspatch that will apply changes to a genuine firmware ?
These tools are easy to use and run under linux and windows (http://sites.inka.de/tesla/download/bsdiff4.3-win32.zip). They are also very efficient for the kind of modifications made by the pinball browser. But I'm afraid you could have a license issue because you could distribute songs and firmwares without the right to do it.

The purpose of macros in v1.80 is for this : to share mods, you just have to publish the macro script and your custom/personnal (ie license free) images/songs.
If somebody wants to apply your changes, he only has to load the script, and run it on a genuine firmware with the pinball browser (the app will then ask for the path of each sound/image file if it is not found). I agree it is not as easy as bspatch, but you don't break any license.

BTW, what is a FOM ?

#394 10 years ago

Its truly amazing what you have accomplished oga83 with this tool. Thanks for your continued work.
Is it possible to see the rules programmed in the rom? I understand it's a compile, but it would be very cool to peek inside and see the rules or the programming logic even if it was impossible to change the code. It would help to understand the complexity and marvel of these games.

I agree, but understanding the rules is another step
Maybe in the future...

#395 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I agree, but understanding the rules is another step
Maybe in the future...

Well, in a dreamworld, I'd rather see the ability to use songs/speech callouts of different lengths. It would eliminate the hassle of finding a perfectly-looping 29.322 second clip...

Pete

#396 10 years ago

oga83, I have run into an issue when I was trying to modify a message on my X-Men software.

Looking through the texts that are in the game I can see that they are sectioned up by modes on X-Men. My goal was to replace a picture of Wolverine in the Xavier mode with a picture of Shadowcat. That part went fine.

The next step was to replace the text "WOLVERINE" in the Xavier mode section to "SHADOWCAT". That changed fine...but what I noticed is it also changed the text "WOLVERINE" that was any place in the software with "SHADOWCAT" instead of just replacing the one location I needed changed.

In this case...that would pretty much wreck the software...as "WOLVERINE" is used a lot and it should only be changed to "SHADOWCAT" in the one specific place.

So is there anyway to make it so the changed text is only changed in the specified location that a user manually changes it?

On the pictures below I have the text I mean to change highlighted. The red circled areas are other places where "WOLVERINE" is used and the green circled area is the Xavier mode section of the software. You can see in the second pic that the other "WOLVERINE" locations that I didn't want to change were automatically changed to "SHADOWCAT".

NameExampleBEFORE.jpgNameExampleBEFORE.jpg NameExampleAFTER.jpgNameExampleAFTER.jpg

#397 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

The next step was to replace the text "WOLVERINE" in the Xavier mode section to "SHADOWCAT". That changed fine...but what I noticed is it also changed the text "WOLVERINE" that was any place in the software with "SHADOWCAT" instead of just replacing the one location I needed changed.
In this case...that would pretty much wreck the software...as "WOLVERINE" is used a lot and it should only be changed to "SHADOWCAT" in the one specific place.
So is there anyway to make it so the changed text is only changed in the specified location that a user manually changes it?

This is because each message is made of 5 pointers (1 for each language), and several pointers can point to the same string. I'll see what can be done (using free memory), however it would be very difficult to know where each message is used in the game.

#398 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

This is because each message is made of 5 pointers (1 for each language), and several pointers can point to the same string. I'll see what can be done (using free memory), however it would be very difficult to know where each message is used in the game.

That's a bit over my head.

I figured the info at the right of the window (0x5DF) meant that message was it's own and that was it's location and I was surprised to see it have any connection to any of the other messages with a different number / location.

I know in Metallica and AC/DC if the longest song file is replaced, it also replaces the smaller sound clips of that song. That makes sense to me...as it shows right in the browser that the long song clips are made up of many segments. I assume that these smaller clips get their info from different segments of those large clips.

I can understand that if a game uses "WOLVERINE" many times...that there may just be one "WOLVERINE" message in the software and all uses of it are just taken from the same location. It just seems odd that if a message is in one location and changed...it automatically changes others.

As I said...over my head. I hope you can find a way around this. I have really only looked around the message section of X-Men, but it seems pretty well organized as far as knowing what messages are for what modes. I am sure the one I changed in the picture above is the one that does need changed for Xavier mode...I just wasn't expecting the other changes to come with it.

Thanks for listening and thanks again for the program.

#399 10 years ago

Ok, so after a day of trying to modify "Who Made Who", I am officially giving up. The song is not balanced enough to pull it off without having a ton of static. Maybe I can try a live version.

Added
Shoot To Thrill
Dirty Deeds
It's a Long Way to the Top
Money Talks

Removed
Back In Black (difficult choice)
Whole Lotta Rosy
Let there be rock
Hell ain't a bad place to be.

#400 10 years ago

oga83, I have another round of questions for you.

I am still tinkering with the Xavier mode in X-Men. The way the mode works is 1 of 23 characters are selected at random and the DMD displays an outline of this characters picture. When you hit the shot that is associated with this character...it reveals the characters picture and displays their name.

When these character pictures are exported with Pinball Browser they are in a square shape with white surrounding them. I tried to replace a file just like that, but when the mode started...instead of showing the outline of the new character it was just a square. When the character was revealed....it displayed correctly, but only after I had changed the white area surrounding her to a black one. Otherwise she was being displayed in a box.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the game using transparencies on the original character images in the game. I'm also guessing since all imported images are Raster-12 maybe they can not have these transparencies???

What is your theory on why it behaves this way or anyway to get around it?

After I did get the added character to come up in the game and did reveal her...I snapped a picture. It looks like it was meant to be there, but the fact that it displays the box instead of the outline before and also that Wolverine is now called Shadowcat in the entire game makes this little mod a no go. I'm still having fun tinkering.

Original_Wolverine.jpgOriginal_Wolverine.jpg Replacment_Kitty.jpgReplacment_Kitty.jpg 0615132059.jpg0615132059.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

6,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Papillion, NE
$ 180.00
Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 25.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,576 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.