1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,562 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 112.
#3901 3 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Yes, you need to have both of those ffmpeg files in the root folder of Pinball Browser to view video. You can still do audio changes without them. The second one is just informing you when you import a file the image file gets written to immediately. I like to open two PB browser windows, one with the stock .img file and one with a copy of the .img file to make changes to.

Awesome. Thanks.
I only do sound replacements at this time but I may move into video fun some day.

#3902 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

That's not what I meant.
Of course, anyone can share/sell game customizations that were made with Pinball Browser.
But, imo, sharing firmware files is not correct the way to do it.
Pinball Browser has "macros" which are meant for this. They only contain your creation.
When they are corretly used, they don't embed any game copyrighted stuff.
More informations in the "Macros" section of the FAQ.
Sharing firmwares is the reason why Pinball Browser got blocked in the first place.
Doing nothing about it would just lead to the same situation in the future.

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you’re saying more clearly now.
Guess I’ll have to learn how to use macros better now. I had problems with using macros back when I was working on Ghostbusters mixes. Time to dive back in...
Once again, bravo for breaking the Stern code barricade!

#3903 3 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you’re saying more clearly now.
Guess I’ll have to learn how to use macros better now. I had problems with using macros back when I was working on Ghostbusters mixes. Time to dive back in...
Once again, bravo for breaking the Stern code barricade!

It will be more than Macro's needed though... you'll need the assets to go along with them? Are we alright to share those? It is just the sharing of the compiled BIN file that can't and should never have been done?

#3904 3 years ago
Quoted from roar:

It will be more than Macro's needed though... you'll need the assets to go along with them? Are we alright to share those? It is just the sharing of the compiled BIN file that can't and should never have been done?

Right, and those assets will need to be in the same folder/directory the author used. Example: user/desktop/gotgsounds
etc....

#3905 3 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I just tried the new 7.50 to replace a sound clip in EHOH. It seems to import properly and play back as intended immediately after the import, but if I exit PB, restart PB and reload that firmware file, the sound I replaced is now extremely distorted.

I can confirm this as well. Any new sound file that is imported is distorted upon playback in Pinball Browser after reloading the .img and in the game when playing after flashing.

#3906 3 years ago

I'm having major trouble with this now, I tried just changing my sound and video files like I always did with pinball browser and it all appeared fine..however after flashing a new SD boot image I'm getting strange results on the game itself:

Sounds from other files scratchy not playing
Videos not playing at all but associated sounds coming through
Things unrelated to my edits broken (CHAOS letters for example not playing vids and video is distorted scratching)

I simply imported my vids and sound to their new locations and flashed a disk with Etcher, now it seems the file is corrupted

I also noticed all the video and sound locations changed from last time

#3907 3 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I just tried the new 7.50 to replace a sound clip in EHOH. It seems to import properly and play back as intended immediately after the import, but if I exit PB, restart PB and reload that firmware file, the sound I replaced is now extremely distorted.

Quoted from cleland:

I can confirm this as well. Any new sound file that is imported is distorted upon playback in Pinball Browser after reloading the .img and in the game when playing after flashing.

Sorry about that.
I was probably too excited when I did the final build that I missed a configuration flag.
This has been fixed in v7.51

Quoted from fooflighter:

Sounds from other files scratchy not playing
Videos not playing at all but associated sounds coming through
Things unrelated to my edits broken (CHAOS letters for example not playing vids and video is distorted scratching)
I simply imported my vids and sound to their new locations and flashed a disk with Etcher, now it seems the file is corrupted

I'm not sure this is the same issue. Let me know how v7.51 works for you.

#3908 3 years ago

Holy shit. Get out of here! This works with TMNT?

#3909 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Holy shit. Get out of here! This works with TMNT?

Yes, it does!

#3910 3 years ago

Ok just reading about this now. So we can't share the entire fw when updating just the macros? Thats fine as it still seems to result in the same outcome but after checking the FAQ I know they're located in the macros tab but it wasn't clear on how to share them with others - even though the same question is asked I'm not following. Seems like they are online? In a repository? Little clarification there?

First thing in doing is replacing that terrible redone tmnt theme song in the game with original

#3911 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Seems like they are online? In a repository? Little clarification there?

The macros are stored in a .pbm file that has the same name than your firmware (for instance : acd170le.bin => acd170le.pbm).
You can share this file as you want.
Pinball Browser has an online repository where you can share your macros with others. Open the drop-down menu in the "Macros" tab to see the related functions.
OnlineMacros (resized).pngOnlineMacros (resized).png

Same thing for sounds/images/videos/scene bookmarks (stored in .dat file)
SceneBookmarks (resized).pngSceneBookmarks (resized).png

#3912 3 years ago

OK - so I would give out the .pbm file to someone and they open pinball browser on their end along with original fw and apply the pbm like a patch in prinbrowser on their end? This would require them to understand how to use and install PB right?

#3913 3 years ago

Playing a macro requires much less skill as making the changes.

Biggest problem here I think is that when a macro let’s say changes out a song. The macro is than told to look in a certain folder for a file-song called ..... In order to play the macro correctly you should have in a same folder the same named file-song.

Legally I understand this fully (you should own the IP material) but having this work in practice can be a challenge I am afraid of.

Or am I missing something?

#3914 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Playing a macro requires much less skill as making the changes.
Biggest problem here I think is that when a macro let’s say changes out a song. The macro is than told to look in a certain folder for a file-song called ..... In order to play the macro correctly you should have in a same folder the same named file-song.
Legally I understand this fully (you should own the IP material) but having this work in practice can be a challenge I am afraid of.
Or am I missing something?

Quoted from delt31:

OK - so I would give out the .pbm file to someone and they open pinball browser on their end along with original fw and apply the pbm like a patch in prinbrowser on their end? This would require them to understand how to use and install PB right?

As noted above beyond the .pbl file you need all the assets... images, video, audio that go along with the changes. So a zip file containing the .dat and .pbm and all the assets in their correct folder will be required along with a licensed copy of PBBrowser. These requirements will put these updates well outside the average users skill level for sure.

What happens if I've stored all the assets on my E: drive rather than the C: drive for example, I'm guessing the path to the assets can be updated in the .dat file? Or is the .dat file not human readable and you'd need to use pbbrowser to edit the path of every. file?

#3915 3 years ago

This is a weird one, you sold the license for a tool. You want to get paid for your time and I get that. The person that spends hours using the tool he paid for also has the right to get paid for his time and what he created with it. Forcing everyone to pay for the license seems a bit off. It's not really your place to to play copyright police or start revoking licenses. Before I bought my own license a fellow pinsider helped me out with some songs and I sent him a few dollars, he didn't ask for it so lets call it a tip. I decided I wanted to do more and eventually bought my own license. I have also tried to help out people in the community and sent them files, I never wanted or took any money but its not your place to threaten to ban people. The software started nagging me to pay again and eventually quit. It's a bit much to complain about Stern trying to block you while you are threatening to block your own customers and you have some kind of DRM and a nag built in. I get that this is a pinball community so people kind of accept it, you would get eaten alive for this in a software community. Your using codecs that your most likely infringing on the licenses. This feels like paying tax at a drug deal

#3916 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

This is a weird one, you sold the license for a tool. You want to get paid for your time and I get that. The person that spends hours using the tool he paid for also has the right to get paid for his time and what he created with it. Forcing everyone to pay for the license seems a bit off. It's not really your place to to play copyright police or start revoking licenses. Before I bought my own license a fellow pinsider helped me out with some songs and I sent him a few dollars, he didn't ask for it so lets call it a tip. I decided I wanted to do more and eventually bought my own license. I have also tried to help out people in the community and sent them files, I never wanted or took any money but its not your place to threaten to ban people. The software started nagging me to pay again and eventually quit. It's a bit much to complain about Stern trying to block you while you are threatening to block your own customers and you have some kind of DRM and a nag built in. I get that this is a pinball community so people kind of accept it, you would get eaten alive for this in a software community. Your using codecs that your most likely infringing on the licenses. This feels like paying tax at a drug deal

Everyone should pay $20 for a license to have a "Tool" at their disposal like this...not sure why you would think that's unreasonable.
And yes, people that spend hundreds of hours on customizing games should be "tipped"....just don't be so blatant like a certain Pinsider that was Gorilla Marketing for a cash grab. Keep it personal, like the old days when I would swap floppy disks at BBS Meets

I also would recommend everyone that compiles sounds to keep it consistent, so the macro knows where to find the files...My vote would be "Desktop/Game Title"
Example:

C:\users\crossover\Desktop\My Mac Desktop\Pinball Browser/GOTG

I'm on a Mac using Crossover to run PB, so not sure what the real windows path would be. Point is, keep it as folder on the desktop, so when someone runs a macro and has the assets, PB can find them.

#3917 3 years ago

oh my god, i just have seen the new release of Pinball Browser and i am still trying to figure out what it means.
Modifing the animations? thats just so awsome. Support for TMNT? Maybe i am going to by one now
i only had a short overview and need to figure out how it will work.
so much repect for the work you are doing here oga83.

#3918 3 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Everyone should pay $20 for a license to have a "Tool" at their disposal like this...not sure why you would think that's unreasonable.
And yes, people that spend hundreds of hours on customizing games should be "tipped"....just don't be so blatant like a certain Pinsider that was Gorilla Marketing for a cash grab. Keep it personal, like the old days when I would swap floppy disks at BBS Meets
I also would recommend everyone that compiles sounds to keep it consistent, so the macro knows where to find the files...My vote would be "Desktop/Game Title"
Example:
C:\users\crossover\Desktop\My Mac Desktop\Pinball Browser/GOTG
I'm on a Mac using Crossover to run PB, so not sure what the real windows path would be. Point is, keep it as folder on the desktop, so when someone runs a macro and has the assets, PB can find them.

The point is I’m sure he did not write all the code he is using. There is a good chance he is using open source code that has a license that says if you use it your source should be open. That you should keep it in the hobby and not demand payment. Those people could say the exact same thing about pinball browser. The whole point of pinball browser is to reverse engineer and hack some one else’s code. There are a lot of dominos here all pointing to the next guy saying hey stop trying to make money off my work while they make money of the last guy.

#3919 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

The point is I’m sure he did not write all the code he is using. There is a good chance he is using open source code that has a license that says if you use it your source should be open. That you should keep it in the hobby and not demand payment. Those people could say the exact same thing about pinball browser. The whole point of pinball browser is to reverse engineer and hack some one else’s code. There are a lot of dominos here all pointing to the next guy saying hey stop trying to make money off my work while they make money of the last guy.

That’s a pretty big assumption, and likely not true. You’re also basically accusing Ollie of being a thief with *zero* evidence of such. In fact, we have contrary evidence in that he requires you to download open source video conversion tools if you’re doing video work instead of having built those tools in.

Also note that not ALL open source use *requires* you to open source your derivative work. Libraries like the LGPL as well as “public domain” as well as a few other licenses out there DO allow you to incorporate open source work into a closed source product legally.

Ollie is entitled to license his software however he wants. You are entitled to use it or not. But it’s not cool to accuse him of being a thief without evidence.

Ollie, maybe consider addressing this by creating a free tool that’s super easy to use that will let an end user take a macro file, assets, and a freshly downloaded .bin file and merge them into a new firmware. That will make it a LOT easier for the end user, still allow for legal distribution, and get rid of the “but you’re just trying to get more people to buy your software and those folks probably can’t figure out how to use it anyway” thing. Or make that version a lot cheaper, anyway? Just throwing out ideas.

—Donnie

#3920 3 years ago

Idea..
Maybe PB browser could have a settings tab that allows the user to assign exactly where assets are located? Then when a macro is run it will look automatically for the defined asset in the defined folder. Instead of the location being defined by the macro.
Is this possible?

This concept is used by all of the frontends I have used in game emulation. You tell it what folders all of the game media are located in before it runs the scripts to launch that media. I am aware this is a completely different use. This was what gave me the idea.

#3921 3 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

That’s a pretty big assumption, and likely not true. You’re also basically accusing Ollie of being a thief with *zero* evidence of such. In fact, we have contrary evidence in that he requires you to download open source video conversion tools if you’re doing video work instead of having built those tools in.
Also note that not ALL open source use *requires* you to open source your derivative work. Libraries like the LGPL as well as “public domain” as well as a few other licenses out there DO allow you to incorporate open source work into a closed source product legally.
Ollie is entitled to license his software however he wants. You are entitled to use it or not. But it’s not cool to accuse him of being a thief without evidence.
Ollie, maybe consider addressing this by creating a free tool that’s super easy to use that will let an end user take a macro file, assets, and a freshly downloaded .bin file and merge them into a new firmware. That will make it a LOT easier for the end user, still allow for legal distribution, and get rid of the “but you’re just trying to get more people to buy your software and those folks probably can’t figure out how to use it anyway” thing. Or make that version a lot cheaper, anyway? Just throwing out ideas.
—Donnie

He is still charging for a tool that lets you hack Sterns copyrighted code and get around a license. Not sure who you are quoting with what you put in quotes but I certainly didn't say that. My only point is let's not get to carried away with the whole license thing and start pointing fingers and threatening to take peoples money and then stop them from using the tool. This whole thing is kinda shady, I don't have a problem with it, I paid for a license. If your going to take peoples money you really should not complain about what they choose to do with it. People are upset Stern may block Pinball browser? Stern would be completely in their rights to turn every pin with code from Pinball Browser into a brick. I don't really think that anyone gets to take the moral high ground here.

#3922 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

The point is I’m sure he did not write all the code he is using. There is a good chance he is using open source code that has a license that says if you use it your source should be open.

You're wrong and out of line.
The only code I did not write are NAudio and DotNetZip which don't require the software to be open.
This kind of restriction is the only reason why Pinball Browser does not include the FFmpeg code.

#3923 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

You're wrong and out of line.
The only code I did not write are NAudio and DotNetZip which don't require the software to be open.
This kind of restriction is the only reason why Pinball Browser does not include the FFmpeg code.

Are you going to revoke my license. Here I thought you were earning money with a tool that reverse engineers and modifies Sterns copyrighted code. How much of Sterns copyrighted code is contained in the files output by pinball browser? My only point is you took payment so don’t start pointing fingers at your customers because of Sterns reaction.

#3924 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

People are upset Stern may block Pinball browser? Stern would be completely in their rights to turn every pin with code from Pinball Browser into a brick.

True. And whether we like it or not, Stern has an obligation to thwart any tool that would modify their game code in any way. I'm surprised they don't already have better protection in place.

#3925 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

True. And whether we like it or not, Stern has an obligation to thwart any tool that would modify their game code in any way. I'm surprised they don't already have better protection in place.

Stern knows for a fact they sell more games with this ability. They just don't want it to be so public to protect their licensors. Ultimately, Stern makes more money and thats all they care about.

#3926 3 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Stern knows for a fact they sell more games with this ability. They just don't want it to be so public to protect their licensors. Ultimately, Stern makes more money and thats all they care about.

That could be the case. I should have said that they have an obligation to "attempt to thwart" such tools. Maybe that's the reason they haven't tried all that hard.

#3927 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Are you going to revoke my license. Here I thought you were earning money with a tool that reverse engineers and modifies Sterns copyrighted code. How much of Sterns copyrighted code is contained in the files output by pinball browser? My only point is you took payment so don’t start pointing fingers at your customers because of Sterns reaction.

You really shouldn't comment on things you know very little about.

What Ollie's tool does is perfectly legal. Creating a tool to edit copyrighted material is and has always been legal. Have you never seen a simple sound editing tool? Do you think it's illegal to download a copyright song and edit it? Because it's not. It's likely illegal to redistribute that edit, but that's not the tool's fault, nor does it make the tool illegal.

--Donnie

#3928 3 years ago

It’s your machine you can literally do what the fuck you want to it with what ever tools are available.

If you start selling / making a profit off custom files that might be an issue. But you can certainly do what ever you want to your own machine.

#3929 3 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

You really shouldn't comment on things you know very little about.
What Ollie's tool does is perfectly legal. Creating a tool to edit copyrighted material is and has always been legal. Have you never seen a simple sound editing tool? Do you think it's illegal to download a copyright song and edit it? Because it's not. It's likely illegal to redistribute that edit, but that's not the tool's fault, nor does it make the tool illegal.
--Donnie

Oh I know a thing or two about this. I didn't say it was illegal. I just said he shouldn't be revoking people's license or be the copyright police. There is no reason to be so polarized. All I said is no one should be taking the moral high ground. I never said anyone broke any laws. I said he may be infringing on some of the license of the code he may have used. I said there is no reason to start pointing fingers and blaming the people that you happily took money from if Stern gets pissed. I don't think it cool to put a nag in software that hassles you to pay again. By all means charge but once I pay for the software, I don't want to be nagged that maybe its time to pay again. I don't like that my license quit working most likely when I changed hardware. I understand why corporations use that style of DRM but I also accept people have the right to complain about it and its a pain in the ass. Seems excessive on software of this nature. I also feel if my buddy asks me to update a song for him I should be able to do that with out risk of having my license revoked or my buddy having to pay the $20. All I said is we are getting into murky area here and it's a little weird. I know this is pinside and everything is always your with us or against us. Hey I was a paying customer and by all means he can tell me to fuck off and say I'm out of line, I voice my complaints. I have no problem if he does the same.

#3930 3 years ago

So I downloaded a clean SD image from Stern for JP Premium

Loaded that into PB Browser 7.51 clean install

Cleared all Macros

Added my 4 sound files and my 3 videos that I saved the same way with JP 1.00

So here’s what I’ve found:

What Works:

Audio is working correctly now – no screeching or distortion

Not working (videos):

I replaced the Shoot again, Missile Hit, Missile Miss according to their scene bookmarks

When the Shoot again vid is supposed to play, I get a static picture of the Jurassic Park Gate with the correct sound file playing in the background

When the Missile Launch Video Plays, It plays the correct Missile Launch video but it does not go to the Missile Miss Video ever

However, if the Missile shot is made the Missile hit video plays with the correct audio

I don’t know where to go from here

Thanks for any help

#3931 3 years ago

I'm going to recompile my vids one at a time and try to get the bitrate and frame count exactly the same with handbrake

I'll also rename the files to the exact name of the default location files

Gonna try this one step at a time to see if I can find out what's breaking and where/why

#3932 3 years ago

Okay just tried replacing the Shoot Again video, same bitrate, same framecount, same filename...just doesn't work

It seems like the video isn't even loaded playing the game or somehow doesn't import correctly...

I see it in Pinball browser fine

The audio plays correctly..

pulling hair out

#3933 3 years ago

I'm going to try and import the default video into the image and see if that works...if so it's something in my video file then...if not, it must be the Pinball Browser

#3934 3 years ago

Okay I think something is wrong with pinball browser with videos

I just re-imported the same default video file that came with the game (that I exported from a clean SD Card Image file) from the Shoot Again video scene in jurassic park and I get no video playback in the game at all. Just a static picture of the JP gates

I;m not a coder and have no idea what to do next but as of now I can't use Pinball Browser to change my videos

#3935 3 years ago

Forbidding the sharing of binary files under threat of having your license key revoked seems like a tactic to force more people to buy licenses. Maybe I don't understand the issue completely, but if it's true that license keys are being revoked for sharing what people create using the program, then that's really crappy policy.

Of course, I can't even get it to run on my computer without a barrage of error windows so I can't say I was ever tempted to buy it.

#3936 3 years ago

It's sad that Olivier works so hard on this tool, then has to endure jackass trolls on Pinside that try to shit on him.

Keep up the good work, Olivier! The vast majority of us appreciate your work and have you back!

#3937 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Oh I know a thing or two about this. I didn't say it was illegal. I just said he shouldn't be revoking people's license or be the copyright police. There is no reason to be so polarized. All I said is no one should be taking the moral high ground. I never said anyone broke any laws. I said he may be infringing on some of the license of the code he may have used. I said there is no reason to start pointing fingers and blaming the people that you happily took money from if Stern gets pissed. I don't think it cool to put a nag in software that hassles you to pay again. By all means charge but once I pay for the software, I don't want to be nagged that maybe its time to pay again. I don't like that my license quit working most likely when I changed hardware. I understand why cooperation use that style of DRM but I also accept people have the right to complain about it and its a pain in the ass. Seems excessive on software of this nature. I also feel if my buddy asks me to update a song for him I should be able to do that with out risk of having my license revoked or my buddy having to pay the $20. All I said is we are getting into murky area here and it's a little weird. I know this is pinside and everything is always your with us or against us. Hey I was a paying customer and by all means he can tell me to fuck off and say I'm out of line, I voice my complaints. I have no problem if he does the same.

If Ollie wants to license his software so that your friend has to buy it to use it, too, that’s within his right to do. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t give you the right to make insinuations about Ollie’s character.

This is 100% about what you want, not about what Ollie is doing that’s somehow wrong in your eyes. You insinuated that he stole software, period. Whether you meant it that way or not, that’s what you did. It’s obvious that you really don’t understand how copyright and fair use work.

And FFS it’s $20 per user. It’s dirt frickin cheap already for what it does. Get over yourself and thank the man for selling it so cheap before he decides it’s not worth the hassle. If he stops updating it then it’ll likely stop working forever since Stern has decided to become a moving target.

—Donnie

#3938 3 years ago

Wow, some people really are being a bit thick and ungrateful. No offense. As far as I can see things, what Ollie is asking all of us to do is very simple. The sharing, and sometimes selling, of bin files, or mixes/edits that contain bin files, is apparently what caused Stern to put the hammer down. If Ollie doesn't make an effort to discourage that, then people will keep doing it, and Stern will continue trying to find new ways to stop PB from working.

We all want Pinball Browser to continue working for Stern's newest games, and newest code updates, don't we? So stop complaining, and comply with Ollie's request in regards to bin files/firmware. While a bit of a hassle for some, it's completely reasonable given the circumstances. If you don't like it, then write your own PB-like program.

I really appreciate oga83's efforts. The creation of PB has added immeasurably to the pinball hobby, and if Ollie added a new clause that required me to cluck like a chicken every time I used Pinball Browser, then I'd be happy to.

#3939 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Forbidding the sharing of binary files under threat of having your license key revoked seems like a tactic to force more people to buy licenses. Maybe I don't understand the issue completely, but if it's true that license keys are being revoked for sharing what people create using the program, then that's really crappy policy.
Of course, I can't even get it to run on my computer without a barrage of error windows so I can't say I was ever tempted to buy it.

Ollie said he can take your license IF HE FINDS OUT. He will find out if you start selling or making full firmware available for download. Those are the things Stern does NOT want to see. Stern likely won’t know or care if someone does a custom firmware for their buddy.

Their buddy should do the right thing and pay Ollie if they like their new song for $20 worth. But if they don’t pay him he’s not going to be out there trying to find you, either.

So don’t be a jerk and start selling firmware. Don’t be a jerk and put full files up for people to download. And if you like the output of his work and benefit from it? Throw the man a $20. It’s worth more than that.

This isn’t that hard.

#3940 3 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

If Ollie wants to license his software so that your friend has to buy it to use it, too, that’s within his right to do. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t give you the right to make insinuations about Ollie’s character.
This is 100% about what you want, not about what Ollie is doing that’s somehow wrong in your eyes. You insinuated that he stole software, period. Whether you meant it that way or not, that’s what you did. It’s obvious that you really don’t understand how copyright and fair use work.
And FFS it’s $20 per user. It’s dirt frickin cheap already for what it does. Get over yourself and thank the man for selling it so cheap before he decides it’s not worth the hassle. If he stops updating it then it’ll likely stop working forever since Stern has decided to become a moving target.
—Donnie

Man chill out, I said it was like paying tax at a drug deal. There is a reason it doesn’t include certain software and users have to get it themselves. I supported him and bought a license I didn’t know that meant I was only allowed to give positive feedback. Just do yourself a favour and hit ignore.

#3941 3 years ago

galoob vs nintendo (game genie) gives pretty good precedent for browser, colordmd, etc.

People are allowed to fiddle with the code in their toys, and tools to allow such fiddling are legal.

#3942 3 years ago

Hey guys, can anyone verify if they have any trouble with the video importing with the latest version, seems like they are getting corrupted...see my previous posts above

#3943 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Man chill out, I said it was like paying tax at a drug deal. There is a reason it doesn’t include certain software and users have to get it themselves. I supported him and bought a license I didn’t know that meant I was only allowed to give positive feedback. Just do yourself a favour and hit ignore.

Really hard to understand why you’re getting so pissed off about this. Throwing wild inaccurate accusations around? Pointing fingers? So are you one of the users who is selling prepackaged updates? Stern has a responsibility as a licensee to protect that license. Looking the other way while a vendor makes money while subverting the license, violates the license. So stern took steps. Maybe chill out and says thanks to Olli who does a TON of work on this software so we can all have the opportunity to mod out games the way we want. We cant do thAt on JJP games yet, and doing it on WPC is a PITA.

#3944 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Hey guys, can anyone verify if they have any trouble with the video importing with the latest version, seems like they are getting corrupted...see my previous posts above

Redownload it, new 7.51 release fixed a bug.

#3945 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Really hard to understand why you’re getting so pissed off about this. Throwing wild inaccurate accusations around? Pointing fingers? So are you one of the users who is selling prepackaged updates? Stern has a responsibility as a licensee to protect that license. Looking the other way while a vendor makes money while subverting the license, violates the license. So stern took steps. Maybe chill out and says thanks to Olli who does a TON of work on this software so we can all have the opportunity to mod out games the way we want. We cant do thAt on JJP games yet, and doing it on WPC is a PITA.

Can you guys just PM me if you feel the need, how about we let the people actually trying to get help have a little attention.

#3946 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Can you guys just PM me if you feel the need, how about we let the people actually trying to get help have a little attention.

I have a subject changer.

does the SHIFT ID method work anymore when Stern changes the sound locations or are they completely scrambling them making it impossible.

Quoted from oga83:

If you have saved your macros, you can adjust them when a new firmware is released by adding "ShifId" lines.
The syntax is as follow :
ShiftId,[Type],[OldId],[NewId]
where :
- [Type]=0 for images, 1 for sounds scripts
- [OldId] is the first object to be shifted (all the following ones will also be shifted until a new ShiftId tells otherwise)
- [NewId] is the corresponding new id. The keyword "ignored" can also be used to tell that the specified object (and the following ones until a new ShiftId tells otherwise) does not exist anymore.

For example, a list of macros designed for AC/DC LE can be adjusted for AC/DC Pro by adding the following lines at the beginning (to keep it simple, this is only for images, some lines would be needed for the sounds) :
ShiftId,0,0x5a1,ignored
ShiftId,0,0x5ab,0x5a1
The first line means that the image 0x5a1 (and the following ones) in the LE does not exist in the Pro
The second line means that all images starting at 0x5ab in the LE are at position 0x5a1 in the Pro

#3947 3 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

I have a subject changer.
does the SHIFT ID method work anymore when Stern changes the sound locations or are they completely scrambling them making it impossible.

This is my conundrum. JP 1.00 vs. 1.01 script locations have been jumbled like crazy. I have yet to figure out a pattern.
For example, both of these script locations are the same script (same sound). However their respective hex location Ids have changed drastically (1.00 vs 1.01):

In 1.00 Script: 0x233 (0min 06s 056ms)
In 1.01 Script: 0x1FE (0min 06s 056ms)

SEE PIC BELOW

Note the 0x hex script location value differences. They are VASTLY far apart. So as you can see it's not just a few above/below like one would expect b/t 2 versions (i.e maybe 0x233 became 0x238 or something).

Believe me, I've looked at many other examples of this and done the math. I don't see any pattern. Not to mention both 1.00 and 1.01 have the exact same amount of sound scripts (well, 1.01 has literally 1 more, but that's it).

The only way I see to easily solve this is for PB to expose the timestamp within the .dat file as it does in the PB UI. If it did then I could sort by Script Duration ASC. Then use some excel + Notepad++ wizardry to line all bookmarks back up.

I say this b/c if you sort by Script Duration ASC in PB, using my 1.00 .dat for each, and look at both firmwares side by side, they all line up row by row -- aka 1.00 row D's actual sound is also 1.01 row D's sound aka the sounds are the same script just the location Id is vastly different. Since currently the .dat PB generates does not have that (0m00sec00ms) value in it + there's no way to export script locations via PB, there's no way for me to leverage sorting in the .dat by timestamp. Not to mention having that time value within any given .dat would be key for macro importing params.

oga83 Not trying to take away from the amazing work you did to open up these firmwares. I am incredibly thankful and will be re-donating again shortly. I just wanted to present this as a possible enhancement or see if you had any ideas for what I'm dealing with. I cannot fathom going through manually bookmarking all 3852 script locations again. Please share any advice, I can't be the only one running into this. Thanks so much for everything you do.

2020-07-12_20-30-08 (resized).png2020-07-12_20-30-08 (resized).png
#3948 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Hm, downshift from your original accusations. Ok. Cool, NP. That’s a good choice.

#3949 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hm, downshift from your original accusations. Ok. Cool, NP. That’s a good choice.

Holy fuck, could you be more butt hurt over nothing. Are you going to be ok, maybe therapy will help you move on.

#3950 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Redownload it, new 7.51 release fixed a bug.

The sound bug was fixed, I did use 7.51...the vids do not work

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
25,000 (Firm)
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
4,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Williamston, MI
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs
Decals
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 45.95
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 64.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,562 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/79?hl=tinyblackdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.