1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 112.
#3801 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Dear lucky1
Are you stating here that the in-frame coloring technique smartdmd also has doesn’t work with pin2dmd?

No it works with pin2dmd, but side-channel is working better because sometimes the area of the inframe pixels gets overwritten in dynamic scenes.

#3802 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I can confirm that this is a bug. It will be fixed in the next version.
In the meantime, you can use the following workaround (that I have tested) :
- Modify your message as follow : LIGHT+TIMED+BALL LOCK
- Use the "Search Firmware" button (at the bottom of the Message tab) to locate the same string
- Modify the string to LIGHT|TIMED|BALL LOCK
This time, the | will be correctly converted to a line feed.

It’s fixed! Thank you so much for the help and for your quick response.

#3803 3 years ago

A question about Whitestar era games. Is it possible to change the music on these games. I'm wondering if its not possible for BMST crated sound data, as looking at the scripts just seems raw 'instrument' type data, drum beats etc. But, what about games like Grand Prix/Nascar, where they shoved a really nasty bad sampled song in there somehow. I'm wondering if this is changeable as its more like a speech call (which play ok), but currently it doesn't play in pinball browser

I been wanting to put 'the chain' in there since I first owned one of these games. It got sold because of the original bad song match. For us F1 Grand Prix fans in uk, the chain music (then end part) is very much part of what Grand Prix is for us.

Any info on whitestar would be greatly received. Maybe looking more and adding more features to older hardware would be a good direction for updates to.

#3804 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

A question about Whitestar era games. Is it possible to change the music on these games. I'm wondering if its not possible for BMST crated sound data, as looking at the scripts just seems raw 'instrument' type data, drum beats etc. But, what about games like Grand Prix/Nascar, where they shoved a really nasty bad sampled song in there somehow. I'm wondering if this is changeable as its morelike a speech call (which are changeable I think and play normally)
Any info on whitest would be greatly received. Maybe looking more and adding more features to older hardware would be a good direction for updates to.

A lot of sounds in whitestar firmwares use sound loops and branches to save EPROM spaces, and their qualities are bad
There are musics in whitestar firmwares, but they do not sound like in original game in PB firmwares. They sound like drum beats, like you said. But music qualities are okay in some PB firmwares like Elvis or Sharkey's shootout

PinSound can be used to change sounds/musics on Whitestar games, you can give it a try if you want

Also, have you read my PM I sent you yet?

#3805 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan2000:

A lot of sounds in whitestar firmwares use sound loops and branches to save EPROM spaces, and their qualities are bad
There are musics in whitestar firmwares, but they do not sound like in original game in PB firmwares. They sound like drum beats, like you said. But music qualities are okay in some PB firmwares like Elvis or Sharkey's shootout
PinSound can be used to change sounds/musics on Whitestar games, you can give it a try if you want
Also, have you read my PM I sent you yet?

It would be good to get and update for pinball browser so whitestar music played more like it actually sounded if they are changeable.

#3806 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

It would be good to get and update for pinball browser so whitestar music played more like it actually sounded if they are changeable.

I agree!

#3807 3 years ago
Quoted from metwurcht:

hello
I always try to communicate with my pins .
i have the good cable .
i have patched the ACDLE170.bin with comm143.hex and updated my luci with this patched file.
but pinball browser doesn't validate ! the firmware does not match the one loaded in pinball
I forgot something ?
I tried loading in pinball browser, the stock .bin and the patched with comm143.hex , same result
[quoted image]

hello
does anyone have the same problem?

regards

#3808 3 years ago

Hey oga83! Thanks again for your help before. I was thinking of a possibility for something in a new update. It could make no sense as I could never do what you do, so let me know if I’m way off. What if there were a way to change the actual programming of the machine (like pairing switches and coils and whatnot.) For example, maybe being able to make the right flipper act as the left flipper to make a tournament extra challenging (or perhaps for something more useful.) Again, I have no idea if this is a realistic idea. I cannot even imagine the amount of work you put into this, so I won’t act like I understand it

#3809 3 years ago

hello

I come back again with my problem of communication with the pinball machine.
after several attempts I am here:

with pinball browser 5.80 :

i can communicate with my transformers LE 1.80 with serial cable ( i can change setting and high score )
i can not open the firmware ACDC 1.70 , so i can make nothing

with pinball browser 6.65 :

for transformer LE 1.80 ,i can not communicate with the pin , big message error,abort ,retry ... pinball browser shut down when i test the comm port .
i can open the .bin of ACDC 1.70 , but the comm test is stopped because pb say "it s not the same version bla bla bla ...."

all the pin have patch comm143.hex in the firmware .

bug ? or not

in the new version 7.XX its ok ?

#3810 3 years ago

Hey all,

Ive downloaded the latest SD version of WWE LE 1.35 and have opened it up in Pinball Browser 7 (registered) but when i click on the videos tab and play a video, nothing happens? Does anyone else have this issue? If it try and export the video I am also unable to play it.
Before I load it onto an SD card and load the machine, is this just a bug?

Cheers,
Nick

#3811 3 years ago
Quoted from metwurcht:

hello
with pinball browser 6.65 :
i can open the .bin of ACDC 1.70 , but the comm test is stopped because pb say "it s not the same version bla bla bla ...."
all the pin have patch comm143.hex in the firmware .
bug ? or not
in the new version 7.XX its ok ?

I have tested PB v6.65 with an AC/DC Premium v1.70 and I can't reproduce what you have. It's working well here.

#3812 3 years ago
Quoted from Holtamania:

Hey all,
Ive downloaded the latest SD version of WWE LE 1.35 and have opened it up in Pinball Browser 7 (registered) but when i click on the videos tab and play a video, nothing happens? Does anyone else have this issue? If it try and export the video I am also unable to play it.
Before I load it onto an SD card and load the machine, is this just a bug?
Cheers,
Nick

Do you have ffmpeg and ffprobe in Pinball Browser directory?
Cheers,
Peter

#3813 3 years ago

Do you have ffmpeg and ffprobe in Pinball Browser directory?
Cheers,
Peter

Howdy Peter,
I sure do. I can import videos and music into pinball browser, but unable to play videos. It just stays at the first frame? I’ve even imported a video then exported it to see if it works and it doesn’t even open as a mp4 file. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Nick

#3814 3 years ago
Quoted from Holtamania:

Howdy Peter,
I sure do. I can import videos and music into pinball browser, but unable to play videos. It just stays at the first frame? I’ve even imported a video then exported it to see if it works and it doesn’t even open as a mp4 file. Any ideas?
Cheers,
Nick

Howdy Nick,
When you try to play video, do you get some error pop up message too, or it just doesn't play video, and behaves like you didn't click play button?
Cheers,
Peter

#3815 3 years ago

Howdy Nick,
When you try to play video, do you get some error pop up message too, or it just doesn't play video, and behaves like you didn't click play button?
Cheers,
Peter

Behaves as if I didn’t click the button. Very strange.. Same goes for new videos I have imported... any ideas?

Thanks for the help..

#3816 3 years ago
Quoted from Holtamania:

Behaves as if I didn’t click the button. Very strange.. Same goes for new videos I have imported... any ideas?
Thanks for the help..

I'm so sorry, but I don't know what the problem is
Does it work fine with WWE 1.35.spk?

#3817 3 years ago
Quoted from Holtamania:

Ive downloaded the latest SD version of WWE LE 1.35 and have opened it up in Pinball Browser 7 (registered) but when i click on the videos tab and play a video, nothing happens?

I can confirm that this is a bug.
It will be fixed in the next release.

#3818 3 years ago
Quoted from Leosclam:

Hey oga83! Thanks again for your help before. I was thinking of a possibility for something in a new update. It could make no sense as I could never do what you do, so let me know if I’m way off. What if there were a way to change the actual programming of the machine (like pairing switches and coils and whatnot.) For example, maybe being able to make the right flipper act as the left flipper to make a tournament extra challenging (or perhaps for something more useful.) Again, I have no idea if this is a realistic idea. I cannot even imagine the amount of work you put into this, so I won’t act like I understand it

This is beyond the scope of PB.
It would be hard to have an easy-to-use tool that would allow modifications in the game logic.

#3819 3 years ago

So what are the chances this software begins to work again with Stern's latest releases?

I asked the guys from Stern tmnt on their stream yesterday please let pinbrowser work again so we can replace the terrible redone version of the theme song...

#3820 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I can confirm that this is a bug.
It will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks for confirming mate.
Just wondering if its still safe to use and load to the machine or if i should wait until the next release?
i.e. not touch videos just change sounds?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

#3821 3 years ago
Quoted from Holtamania:

Thanks for confirming mate.
Just wondering if its still safe to use and load to the machine or if i should wait until the next release?
i.e. not touch videos just change sounds?
Thanks in advance,
Nick

I think that it's safe to change sounds, but I'm not really sure about videos, sorry
Peter

#3822 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So what are the chances this software begins to work again with Stern's latest releases?
I asked the guys from Stern tmnt on their stream yesterday please let pinbrowser work again so we can replace the terrible redone version of the theme song...

Theme song from which pinball?

#3823 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

This is beyond the scope of PB.
It would be hard to have an easy-to-use tool that would allow modifications in the game logic.

Got it, thanks!

#3824 3 years ago

I'm trying to setup communication, but I cannot find the hex file. Any idea why or where I can download it?

#3825 3 years ago

In the next release, is there any chance of getting the ability to change the song title slides in Iron Maiden? It's a static image on top of background video...

#3826 3 years ago
Quoted from Leosclam:

I'm trying to setup communication, but I cannot find the hex file. Any idea why or where I can download it?

You don't need it anymore with PB v7 : for Sam firmwares, you just have to click on the "Comm Patch" button (Sam tab).

Quoted from Vader77:

In the next release, is there any chance of getting the ability to change the song title slides in Iron Maiden? It's a static image on top of background video...

I'll look into it.

#3827 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

You don't need it anymore with PB v7 : for Sam firmwares, you just have to click on the "Comm Patch" button (Sam tab).

I'll look into it.

When I click “Comm Patch,” it says, “patches should be applied before any other modification...” and I just get a bunch of warnings. Does this just mean it’s not compatible with my firmware?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#3828 3 years ago
Quoted from Leosclam:

When I click “Comm Patch,” it says, “patches should be applied before any other modification...” and I just get a bunch of warnings. Does this just mean it’s not compatible with my firmware?
[quoted image]

Open a stock firmware and apply the patch before any other modification.
If you have any error during the process, the communication patch cannot work on your game.
Once the patch is installed, you can modify anything you want like sounds, messages, ...

#3829 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Open a stock firmware and apply the patch before any other modification.
If you have any error during the process, the communication patch cannot work on your game.
Once the patch is installed, you can modify anything you want like sounds, messages, ...

I tried that and still got warnings. I guess that means it's not compatible with POTC. Thanks for all the help though!

#3830 3 years ago

Has anyone been able to swap out songs successfully on Iron Maiden Spike 2 v1.06 yet?

Added over 4 years ago:

Any chance to get the ability to change the corresponding image in the song-selection menu? I cannot find these fields in PB-Browser in the SDCard from Stern for IMDN. Seems like everything else is there but not the song selection images. THANKS OLIVER!

#3831 3 years ago

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to match up the sounds to the videos on spike 2? For example, in the videos tab I may find a video at 0x13BA but it seems to be just the raw video, no audio, is there anyway to tell which audio in the sounds tab matches up to this video?

Many thanks,
Batcade

#3832 3 years ago
Quoted from Batcade:

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to match up the sounds to the videos on spike 2? For example, in the videos tab I may find a video at 0x13BA but it seems to be just the raw video, no audio, is there anyway to tell which audio in the sounds tab matches up to this video?
Many thanks,
Batcade

Hi Batcade,
Video and sound locations are not the same, sadly.
Peter

#3833 3 years ago

Hi Batcade,
Video and sound locations are not the same, sadly.
Peter

I noticed that quite quickly, so how do you find the matching sound? just random searching through the sounds?

#3834 3 years ago
Quoted from Batcade:

I noticed that quite quickly, so how do you find the matching sound? just random searching through the sounds?

I find the matching sound for video randomly when I'm searching sounds in Sounds tab, yeah. And I eventually find the one I'm looking for, but it takes some time because there is a lot of sounds in Sounds tab
Peter

#3835 3 years ago

I find the matching sound for video randomly when I'm searching sounds in Sounds tab, yeah. And I eventually find the one I'm looking for, but it takes some time because there is a lot of sounds in Sounds tab
Peter

An enhancement request I have is to allow for export the list of sound files (and video files) to CSV so you could identify them yourself and keep a record.

#3836 3 years ago
Quoted from VonPinball:

An enhancement request I have is to allow for export the list of sound files (and video files) to CSV so you could identify them yourself and keep a record.

That's great!

#3837 3 years ago
Quoted from Batcade:

Unless there are new PB features introduced, a very rough way of identifying the 'approximate' sound duration to start your search from could be using the number of frames of the video, dividing that by the playback frame-rate, which could then provide a rough estimate of the sound length.

i.e. Frames in Video (e.g. 90) / Playback Frame-rate (e.g. 30) = Approximate Sound Duration (e.g. 90/30 = 3 Seconds)

Therefore, you could start playback of sounds from approximately 3 seconds in duration until you hopefully identify the one you are looking for.

#3838 3 years ago
Quoted from GingerM:

Unless there are new PB features introduced, a very rough way of identifying the 'approximate' sound duration to start your search from could be using the number of frames of the video, dividing that by the playback frame-rate, which could then provide a rough estimate of the sound length.
i.e. Frames in Video (e.g. 90) / Playback Frame-rate (e.g. 30) = Approximate Sound Duration (e.g. 90/30 = 3 Seconds)
Therefore, you could start playback of sounds from approximately 3 seconds in duration until you hopefully identify the one you are looking for.

Wait a minute; no one ever said that there would be math involved...

#3839 3 years ago

I am thinking of trying PB to change the songs in a Beatles machine. Once done (if I'm successful at all) can the original songs be saved/recovered? what's the process for that without issuing a complete factory reset?

#3840 3 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

I am thinking of trying PB to change the songs in a Beatles machine. Once done (if I'm successful at all) can the original songs be saved/recovered? what's the process for that without issuing a complete factory reset?

I have instructions for switching cards in the thread below. You may also be happy with the mixes I've already done:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beatles-sgt-pepper-s-lonely-hearts-club-retheme/page/2#post-5654546

#3841 3 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

change the songs in a Beatles machine. Once done (if I'm successful at all) can the original songs be saved/recovered?

You'll be replacing them. They will not be stored elsewhere in the code. When you want to go back to original you'll put the original code back in the game.

The easiest way to do that is use the back up you made of the SD card before you started modifying the code. Stern's website has instructions for making a new card.

#3842 3 years ago

Still struggling to simply open a spk. or image file in PB.

I have Olivier's instructions from one of his long posts, but try as I might I can't open the firmware.
The one wrinkle is that I'm not using an image of an SD card; I'm using an spk. file that I downloaded/extracted from Stern.

Each time I try to open the firmware, PB gets stuck in the "processing" phase at about twenty percent. If I ask it to "Read Image from X:," it has the same issue. I used Win32DiskImager to create an image of the firmware and stored it on my hard drive. Can't make anything work. At one point I waited about twenty minutes for Win32DiskImager to create an image on an SD card, but when I asked PB to read the image from that drive, it complained that the disk would first have to be formatted to be used. Say what?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Quoted from oga83:

How do I open a Spike firmware ?
There are 2 options :

1 - The prefered method : Open an image (.img) of the game SD card :
* For Pinball Browser v6 :
Just insert the game SD-card into your PC and use the "Read image from X:"; Pinball Browser will make an image of your SD card and save it on your hard disk.
Modify what you want in this image. Once it's done, the modified image must be written to a SD-card, not a thumbdrive.

Do not use the original SD-card (keep it as a backup); use a new SD-card;no need to format it.
Use the "Write to SD" function in the SmartDmd tab.
* For Pinball Browser v5 :
Use
Win32DiskImagerto make an image (.img) of your SD card
Open the .img file with Pinball Browser and modify what you want
Use Win32DiskImager again to transfer your modified image to the SD card (it is strongly advised to use a spare SD card and keep the original one unmodified)

2 - Open an .spk or .000 file (available on Stern's website) ;
The main drawback of using a .spk file (compared to a .img) is that you'll only see what's included in the upgrade package (for example, if some video files are not modified with the upgrade, you won't see them in Pinball Browser).
If you open a .000 firmware, Pinball Browser will convert it to a .spk file. This .spk file cannot be used to upgrade the game (because it's bigger than 4Gb and cannot be copied on a FAT formatted USB stick). You have to convert it back again to .000/.001 files before upgrading your game (click on the button next to the Open button and select 'Pack firmware for USB stick').

#3843 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

I can't open the firmware.
The one wrinkle is that I'm not using an image of an SD card; I'm using an spk. file that I downloaded/extracted from Stern.
Each time I try to open the firmware, PB gets stuck in the "processing" phase at about twenty percent. If I ask it to "Read Image from X:," it has the same issue. I used Win32DiskImager to create an image of the firmware and stored it on my hard drive.

So you’re downloading an .spk.zip file, extracting the .spk, and trying to open that .spk?

How does the Win32DiskImager fit into the scenario?

#3844 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

So you’re downloading an .spk.zip file, extracting the .spk, and trying to open that .spk?

Hi, YeOld.
Thanks for your response.
As I understand it, images are important when using PB and SPIKE firmwares.
I tried to make an image on an SD card because PB will "Read Image from X:" as one the ways it can open firmware.
It will also simply open the .spk file - although it won't in my case, so I tried the "Read Image" route instead.
All I want to do is load the firmware in PB and browse the music and sound effects. I don't plan to modify the firmware or make an image of a modified version of it to upload to my game.

#3845 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I should also mention that I have tried to open the .spk file using both PB v.6.6 and v.7., with no success.

#3846 3 years ago

When I ask PB to "Read Image From" the SD card I've made using Win32DiskImager, it prompts me to select a file name/location for the image PB will store of the image - if that makes any sense - on my hard drive. I can't put the whole firmware on the 8GB SD card unless it's an image, not the actual file. When PB finally gets started on the task of opening the image, it starts a progress window with a thick green band, etc. It never completes this task. It just says "Processing..." for about fifteen minutes, and the green band does move, but it never succeeds. The progress bar reaches 100% and I think I'm in the clear, but then it just goes away and I'm left with the main PB window and the buffering hoop that turns indefinitely.

#3847 3 years ago

Jason_Jehosaphat What's the .img file you're trying to open? Newer games like JP, Elvira, Stranger Things won't open at all.

#3848 3 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

jason_jehosaphat What's the .img file you're trying to open? Newer games like JP, Elvira, Stranger Things won't open at all.

Hi, Clelend.
Thanks for your message.
I'm trying to open EHOH firmware to browse its music and sound effects. You're telling me it's impossible 'cause Stern put the Kaibosh on PB where all their latest firmware is concerned? I thought EHOH predates the switch. Perhaps I could open the original version of EHOH code, although I don't know where I would get a copy.

At this point I've asked PB to open an image I made of the SD card data from Stern's website. I downloaded the card to my hard drive, then asked Win32DiskImager to write an image of the file to an 8GB SD card in my F-drive. Now I'm asking PB to "Read File from F:." It's processing and going *very* slowly. Perhaps it will just crash.

Do you have any ideas for me? How would you go about browsing EHOH's music using PB? I know you're something of a custom-sound-ROM legend.

#3849 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Hi, Clelend.
Thanks for your message.
I'm trying to open EHOH firmware to browse its music and sound effects. You're telling me it's impossible 'cause Stern put the Kaibosh on PB where all their latest firmware is concerned? I thought EHOH predates the switch. Perhaps I could open the original version of EHOH code, although I don't know where I would get a copy.

Exactly. If you had an earlier version of the code image you could browse it just fine, like the other games I mentioned.
Stern (and a particular "Systems Engineer" I know works there) are basically trying to shut Pinball Browser down. We'll see how that goes...

#3850 3 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Exactly. If you had an earlier version of the code image you could browse it just fine, like the other games I mentioned.
Stern (and a particular "Systems Engineer" I know works there) are basically trying to shut Pinball Browser down. We'll see how that goes...

Hmm. Well, that's encouraging and discouraging at once. I would have to find someone with an SD card from his first-run game. Unlikely. Drat!

Do you think Olivier is working hard to devise a work-around, or is he content to just move on? He's very helpful. I should just ask him.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 149.00
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/77?hl=jason_jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.