1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 112.
#3751 3 years ago

So is an updated version of pb being worked on to address the 1.01 JP update or is it a lost cause?

#3752 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Any suggestions on fixing this problem, at 20 seconds. Gap between Request 214 and 215 in AC/DC

This is not related to CLI or macros.
I can't read dailymotion here but you have to look at sound-scripts and sound-fragments.
A single sound-fragment can be used in several different sound-scripts. That generally explains the kind of issue you are experiencing.
Pinball-Browser can list the sound-fragments used by a sound-script.
A sound-request is just a group of sound-scripts related to the same topic.
More informations in the faq.

#3753 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan2000:

Which songs you replaced those two requests with?

Shoot to Thrill

#3754 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Shoot to Thrill

Does Shoot to Thrill you imported have a gap after 20 seconds? If it doesn't, then I don't know what the problem is

#3755 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So is an updated version of pb being worked on to address the 1.01 JP update or is it a lost cause?

I second that, I would love to get my edits reinserted into the new code...

#3756 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Communication patch
The communication patch is now available for Spike2 games. It will allow some mods to get game informations and sync with the the game (like the PinballMikeD mod on AC/DC or the SmartDmd side-channel palettes). I hope that some new mods will use it soon.

Is there any documentation or are there examples of the "protocol" to get started to develop such new mods?
Are Spike1 games supported, too?

#3757 3 years ago
Quoted from mk47:

Are Spike1 games supported, too?

They are

#3758 3 years ago

Oga (Olivier) can you take a look at Aerosmith 1_07_0 pro with v 7.03 (same in 7.01). The dmd videos stop pulling/reading from about (x9a onward).
The UI says something like 0xED 800x600 Frame 1/100000000000

Thanks!

(others care to confirm on their installs)

#3759 3 years ago
Quoted from allknowing2012:

Oga (Olivier) can you take a look at Aerosmith 1_07_0 pro with v 7.03 (same in 7.01). The dmd videos stop pulling/reading from about (x9a onward).
The UI says something like 0xED 800x600 Frame 1/100000000000
Thanks!
(others care to confirm on their installs)

Are you using .spk or SD Card?

#3760 3 years ago

Are you using .spk or SD Card?

Just pb and the spk downloaded from Stern .. so .spk

#3761 3 years ago

On the SD Cards, there are no empty videos

You can give them a try

#3762 3 years ago

On the SD Cards, there are no empty videos
You can give them a try

Okay perhaps this sort of answers it .. the SD card stops at the same spot *but* it says there are 154 Videos which is quite likely 99 in hex (didnt check)
When I load the spk, it *thinks* there are 913 videos and so it lets you try and read them even though there is only x99 videos.

Quite likely the count is simiply wrong in the parsing of .spk - I will assume this is all the videos there are.

#3763 3 years ago

Those 759 more videos in Aerosmith .spk are obviously empty...
SD card don't display empty videos in list
Are 154 videos in SD Card a imcomplete or complete list of Aerosmith videos?

#3764 3 years ago

Those 759 more videos in Aerosmith .spk are obviously empty...
SD card don't display empty videos in list
Are 154 videos in SD Card a imcomplete or complete list of Aerosmith videos?

I dont have the machine so I cant be sure .. I suspect it is though. (I am a visual pinball programmer)

#3765 3 years ago

Okay

#3766 3 years ago

Prepping Sound Files for Use with PB:

Please share how to best prepare files before importing them in your SAM firmware.
I have used PB on a few SAM games, but on my TWD's firmware I'm having a hard time preparing files in a way that makes them not pop/crackle when imported. The sound is fine in Audacity - no popping - but when it gets imported and I play in PB, it sounds awful. I get the popping even when I import sounds from other SAM firmware! It's *very* frustrating. I've tried changing the sampling rate to 24000 when I record the source material and I've tried compressing and normalizing, as well as mixing down to mono. Those are the only adjustments that I've ever heard mentioned in the discussion of prepping files for importation. What am I missing? I need help!

Thanks.

#3767 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

+1

#3768 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Please share how to best prepare files before importing them in your SAM firmware.
I have used PB on a few SAM games, but on my TWD's firmware I'm having a hard time preparing files in a way that makes them not pop/crackle when imported. The sound is fine in Audacity - no popping - but when it gets imported and I play in PB, it sounds awful. I get the popping even when I import sounds from other SAM firmware! It's *very* frustrating. I've tried changing the sampling rate to 24000 when I record the source material and I've tried compressing and normalizing, as well as mixing down to mono. Those are the only adjustments that I've ever heard mentioned in the discussion of prepping files for importation. What am I missing? I need help!
Thanks.

Hi Jason_Jehosaphat
Which sound format are you trying to import? You should with .wav. PB can also import videos soundtracks
It can import .mp3 too, but you'll need Media Foundation or Windows Multimedia to import mp3

#3769 3 years ago

Thanks.

Popping and crackling is often a sample rate mismatch, I'd guess you're exporting 48 but need 44.1. Just a guess...

#3770 3 years ago
Quoted from Vader77:

Popping and crackling is often a sample rate mismatch, I'd guess you're exporting 48 but need 44.1. Just a guess...

Confusingly, I get the popping even when I use sounds from other Stern firmware. I can take a song from, say, MET, sampled at 24000, and add it to my TWD firmware and it sounds awful. Olivier told me to take care to match sampling rates, but it hasn't helped me beat the popping. I record any song I hope to add using 24000 sampling rate in Audacity. It doesn't help. I've also tried just importing it unchanged (41000) but it's just as poppy.

Hi jason_jehosaphat
Which sound format are you trying to import? <snip>

I'm trying to import music ripped from YouTube at 24000 sample rate and stored as either WAV or MP3 files. I'm also trying to import sounds/songs from other Stern SAM firmware.

#3771 3 years ago

Confusingly, I get the popping even when I use sounds from other Stern firmware. I can take a song from, say, MET, sampled at 24000, and add it to my TWD firmware and it sounds awful. Olivier told me to take care to match sampling rates, but it hasn't helped me beat the popping. I record any song I hope to add using 24000 sampling rate in Audacity. It doesn't help. I've also tried just importing it unchanged (41000) but it's just as poppy.

I'm trying to import music ripped from YouTube at 24000 sample rate and stored as either WAV or MP3 files. I'm also trying to import sounds/songs from other Stern SAM firmware.

Does it work with other sample rates?

#3772 3 years ago

Does it work with other sample rates?

None that I've tried, no.

Here's a screen shot of a TWD sound file in Audacity. Note the sample and bit rates - 24K and 32.
Even if I take care to tailor any sound I hope to import to also be 24K and saved at 32-bit, I still get the awful popping. I've tried ignoring the sample rate and just importing sounds at 41K, but, again, it helps me not.

Screenshot (18) (resized).pngScreenshot (18) (resized).png
#3773 3 years ago

Here's a screen shot of a TWD sound file in Audacity. Note the sample and bit rates - 24K and 32.
Even if I take care to tailor any sound I hope to import to also be 24K and saved at 32-bit, I still get the awful popping. I've tried ignoring the sample rate and just importing sounds at 41K, but, again, it helps me not.[quoted image]

You can try with Goldwave. I always use Goldwave to change sounds (playback, pitch, etc.)

#3774 3 years ago

Have you tried reducing the peak levels? I’ve experienced popping in the past using audacity and reimporting.

Once I adjusted the max volume levels downward in the clip, the popping stopped.

Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:None that I've tried, no.
Even if I take care to tailor any sound I hope to import to also be 24K and saved at 32-bit, I still get the awful popping. I've tried ignoring the sample rate and just importing sounds at 41K, but, again, it helps me not.[quoted image]

#3775 3 years ago

FWIW I'm not sure what TWD uses for sample and bit depth, but I can tell you that stock sounds from Stern's JP LE firmware (both STEREO music and MONO callouts) are 44.1kHz, 16 bits. You can use a program like MediaInfo to see what the specs are of either your custom audio files or the game's stock sounds (by way of exporting them from PBrowser). So make sure you are using the same specs for your custom WAV as the stock sound's WAV.

Below is a screenshot from MediaInfo for one of the main STEREO JP music files I exported from JPLE 1.00.00.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure regardless of what you set your project sample rate in Audacity, unless you use the Tracks > Resample option (OR possibly if you select the WAV 24 bit or 32 bit file type options), when you export the exported file is going to be the same bit depth as the file you imported. Someone can fact check me on this last piece, I'm not an Audacity wizard.

Also, popping and cracking and other "why doesn't this sound the same in game as it does when I listen to it in my DAW" can be due to other reasons. For example if it's only when you export your imported sound back out of PBrowser that you notice these anomalies, it is likely the game code itself is manipulating the file. I have noticed this for example with overall volume. Certain script locations just simply play the audio with a different equalization or volume. I also found a bug with PBrowser where sometimes the end of the WAV will get a spike/pop will get added at the end: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/74#post-5591534

2020-05-03_11-01-17 (resized).png2020-05-03_11-01-17 (resized).png
#3776 3 years ago

Recent NIB buyer here. I sent a nice message to Stern saying to void my warranty and let me do what I want with my hardware.
As for the DLC speculation, I would HARD boycott any pinball manufacturer that would pursue that path.

#3777 3 years ago

hello !

i try to communicate with my pinball transformers LE to change scores after changing the rom

i have patched the .bin with comm143.hex and updated the pin with this
i use pinball browser 6.65

i use this cable https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0768B3665/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

but it don't work ,? where is my mistake

Capture1 (resized).JPGCapture1 (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPGCapture2 (resized).JPGCapture2 (resized).JPGIMG_20200507_190557 (resized).jpgIMG_20200507_190557 (resized).jpg

the driver
Capture3 (resized).JPGCapture3 (resized).JPG

the patched rom works fine with my pin2dmd display , the colorisation use side channel.
see the pictures

regards
IMG_20200507_191047 (resized).jpgIMG_20200507_191047 (resized).jpgIMG_20200507_191056 (resized).jpgIMG_20200507_191056 (resized).jpg

#3778 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

FWIW I'm not sure what TWD uses for sample and bit depth, but I can tell you that stock sounds from Stern's JP LE firmware (both STEREO music and MONO callouts) are 44.1kHz, 16 bits. You can use a program like MediaInfo to see what the specs are of either your custom audio files or the game's stock sounds (by way of exporting them from PBrowser). So make sure you are using the same specs for your custom WAV as the stock sound's WAV.
Below is a screenshot from MediaInfo for one of the main STEREO JP music files I exported from JPLE 1.00.00.
Secondly, I'm pretty sure regardless of what you set your project sample rate in Audacity, unless you use the Tracks > Resample option (OR possibly if you select the WAV 24 bit or 32 bit file type options), when you export the exported file is going to be the same bit depth as the file you imported. Someone can fact check me on this last piece, I'm not an Audacity wizard.
Also, popping and cracking and other "why doesn't this sound the same in game as it does when I listen to it in my DAW" can be due to other reasons. For example if it's only when you export your imported sound back out of PBrowser that you notice these anomalies, it is likely the game code itself is manipulating the file. I have noticed this for example with overall volume. Certain script locations just simply play the audio with a different equalization or volume. I also found a bug with PBrowser where sometimes the end of the WAV will get a spike/pop will get added at the end: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/74#post-5591534[quoted image]

Hi, Tim. Thanks a bunch for your reply.
I only know the specs on the stock TWD sounds because they're displayed in Audacity when a sound is loaded - 24K, 32-bit.
I have tried to use sounds with matching specs and then alternate versions of the same sounds/songs with 41K sample rates, and the results are always the same: sounds are too quiet and have terrible low-end if they are quiet enough to beat the popping. Raising their volumes using PB results in terrible popping, as does raising their volumes in Audacity before importing them into the firmware with PB. You would be shocked to hear just how many hours I have squandered trying to get this right. It's crazy! I *really* want this to work, as I love PB and think it's the best mod ever. Olivier told me to match the sample- and bit rates - which I have - and yet my results are still terrible. I also tried GoldWave instead, with no more success.

#3779 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Also, popping and cracking and other "why doesn't this sound the same in game as it does when I listen to it in my DAW" can be due to other reasons. For example if it's only when you export your imported sound back out of PBrowser that you notice these anomalies, it is likely the game code itself is manipulating the file. I have noticed this for example with overall volume. Certain script locations just simply play the audio with a different equalization or volume. I also found a bug with PBrowser where sometimes the end of the WAV will get a spike/pop will get added at the end: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/74#post-5591534[quoted image]

I just want to clarify that the songs/sounds sound terrible in PB once they're imported into the firmware. They sound fine in Audacity or Goldwave.

#3780 3 years ago
Quoted from metwurcht:

hello !
i try to communicate with my pinball transformers LE to change scores after changing the rom
i have patched the .bin with comm143.hex and updated the pin with this
i use pinball browser 6.65
i use this cable amazon.com link »
but it don't work ,? where is my mistake

Forgive me for asking, but did you install the drivers for the cable, and use the null modem connector with the serial cable?

#3781 3 years ago

Hi, Tim. Thanks a bunch for your reply.
I only know the specs on the stock TWD sounds because they're displayed in Audacity when a sound is loaded - 24K, 32-bit.
I have tried to use sounds with matching specs and then alternate versions of the same sounds/songs with 41K sample rates, and the results are always the same: sounds are too quiet and have terrible low-end if they are quiet enough to beat the popping. Raising their volumes using PB results in terrible popping, as does raising their volumes in Audacity before importing them into the firmware with PB. You would be shocked to hear just how many hours I have squandered trying to get this right. It's crazy! I *really* want this to work, as I love PB and think it's the best mod ever. Olivier told me to match the sample- and bit rates - which I have - and yet my results are still terrible. I also tried GoldWave instead, with no more success.

Have you tried to raise volume to the max level?
If not, try adjusting the max volume levels downward in the clip like zene10 said in this post:

Quoted from zene10:

Have you tried reducing the peak levels? I’ve experienced popping in the past using audacity and reimporting.
Once I adjusted the max volume levels downward in the clip, the popping stopped.

#3782 3 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Forgive me for asking, but did you install the drivers for the cable, and use the null modem connector with the serial cable?

hello

yes the driver is installed , please see picture in my previous post
what do you mean by "null modem connector" ? , i use the connector db9 on the cpu
IMG_20200118_142823 (resized).jpgIMG_20200118_142823 (resized).jpg

#3783 3 years ago

You need a nullmodem cable to communicate with the pinball machine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem

Basically the wiring must be crossed from TX to RX and vice versa.

#3784 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

You need a nullmodem cable to communicate with the pinball machine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem
Basically the wiring must be crossed from TX to RX and vice versa.

hello lucky1

i use this cable with the little adapter yellow, you think it s a bad cable ?
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0768B3665/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00
71eM9Lm2wGL._AC_SL1200_ (resized).jpg71eM9Lm2wGL._AC_SL1200_ (resized).jpg

regards

#3785 3 years ago

That is only a gender changer which does not cross TX and RX

#3786 3 years ago

Your cable needs to cross over the connections internally, or you can make yourself or buy an adapter:
the one you posted from USB to RS-232 also needs to cross over the pins. You can use the gender changer as one side to make one

nullmodempinout (resized).pngnullmodempinout (resized).png
#3787 3 years ago

Hi

Pinside Newbie from the UK, wondered if anyone can advise me or help with my Pin2DMD I have installed on my Stern 24, Been loitering for a while and some great creations you guys have done with files/colouring.
I’m using Pinball Browser and I’ve loaded a stock file into the browser which is letting me destroy stuff

My question is, am I doing it right using Pinball Browser? But how do I get the file from pinball browser to Pin2DMD software as they use a different file. Sorry if I sound a complete idiot but it’s all new to me and want to learn but I think I maybe a bit out my depth. As said I’ve started to colour and it’s X16, I’m guessing this will work in my Evo Pin2DMD? And do I need the micro usb or RS232 cable

Sorry for all questions, I’ve tried to get some colour just in the settings on the DMD but looks horrendous, set to all Blue at moment, is they a File I can load on? Pic where is started on X8

Again, thank you for any help

Cheers

Adrian

0DFF9B9A-F080-4A0B-B0E6-486C86D51C04 (resized).jpeg0DFF9B9A-F080-4A0B-B0E6-486C86D51C04 (resized).jpeg

#3788 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBroadside:

Hi
Pinside Newbie from the UK, wondered if anyone can advise me or help with my Pin2DMD I have installed on my Stern 24, Been loitering for a while and some great creations you guys have done with files/colouring.
I’m using Pinball Browser and I’ve loaded a stock file into the browser which is letting me destroy stuff
My question is, am I doing it right using Pinball Browser? But how do I get the file from pinball browser to Pin2DMD software as they use a different file. Sorry if I sound a complete idiot but it’s all new to me and want to learn but I think I maybe a bit out my depth. As said I’ve started to colour and it’s X16, I’m guessing this will work in my Evo Pin2DMD? And do I need the micro usb or RS232 cable
Sorry for all questions, I’ve tried to get some colour just in the settings on the DMD but looks horrendous, set to all Blue at moment, is they a File I can load on? Pic where is started on X8
Again, thank you for any help
Cheers
Adrian
[quoted image]

Did you read this https://pin2dmd.com/pinball-browser/ ?

You need a serial cable to make pin2dmd detect the palette switches created with pinball browser.

#3789 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

You need a serial cable to make pin2dmd detect the palette switches created with pinball browser.

Hi,

I’ve ordered the cable should be here next day or so.
Do I need to convert the file into a different format for Pin2DMD to accept it.

I will give the above a read as well, thanks for getting back to me

Cheers

#3790 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Dear lucky1

Are you stating here that the in-frame coloring technique smartdmd also has doesn’t work with pin2dmd?

#3791 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Your cable needs to cross over the connections internally, or you can make yourself or buy an adapter:
the one you posted from USB to RS-232 also needs to cross over the pins. You can use the gender changer as one side to make one[quoted image]

hello
when i replace the little adapter yellow by this cable , the result is the same .no working .
i wait a cable with ftdi chipset .
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00QM8ZPZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

#3792 3 years ago

hello
I always try to communicate with my pins .
i have the good cable .
i have patched the ACDLE170.bin with comm143.hex and updated my luci with this patched file.

but pinball browser doesn't validate ! the firmware does not match the one loaded in pinball
I forgot something ?

I tried loading in pinball browser, the stock .bin and the patched with comm143.hex , same result

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#3793 3 years ago

Can anyone help me locate the short music clip request numbers for Metallica that play after your final ball when your score comes up and also when entering a high score? I brand new to Pinbrowser and a little out of my depth!

#3794 3 years ago

Hey! I have a Pirates of the Caribbean machine, and I edited a message ( "LIGHT|TIMED|BALL LOCK" ). I believe that the "|" symbol makes a new line. After I edited it, I noticed that it was all on one line with no spaces. Then, I changed it back, making sure it was exactly the same as the original. It did the same thing. It says "LIGHTTIMEDBALLLOCK." I've checked it and retried it a bunch of times and it doesn't change. Any ideas?

#3795 3 years ago
Quoted from Leosclam:

Hey! I have a Pirates of the Caribbean machine, and I edited a message ( "LIGHT|TIMED|BALL LOCK" ). I believe that the "|" symbol makes a new line. After I edited it, I noticed that it was all on one line with no spaces. Then, I changed it back, making sure it was exactly the same as the original. It did the same thing. It says "LIGHTTIMEDBALLLOCK." I've checked it and retried it a bunch of times and it doesn't change. Any ideas?

I can confirm that this is a bug. It will be fixed in the next version.
In the meantime, you can use the following workaround (that I have tested) :
- Modify your message as follow : LIGHT+TIMED+BALL LOCK
- Use the "Search Firmware" button (at the bottom of the Message tab) to locate the same string
- Modify the string to LIGHT|TIMED|BALL LOCK
This time, the | will be correctly converted to a line feed.

#3796 3 years ago

Elvira game code 0.95 (sd card raw file) can't be opened: unkown file.

Thanks in advance.

#3797 3 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Elvira game code 0.95 (sd card raw file) can't be opened: unkown file.
Thanks in advance.

I can confirm too
Size of Elvira SD card is 16GB, which is too much, and that's why PB can't open it
Or perhaps that's because of Stern's encryption

#3798 3 years ago

I can confirm too
Size of Elvira SD card is 16GB, which is too much, and that's why PB can't open it
Or perhaps that's because of Stern's encryption

I believe as posted earlier in the thread - the encryption is definitely a problem. Stern apparently keeps changing it. I guess I'm willing to wait until Elvira is done with code - I've got a few music changes I want to make. And one day maybe change out video assets! At least when the code is final the encryption won't keep changing.

#3799 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I've got a few music changes I want to make. And one day maybe change out video assets! At least when the code is final the encryption won't keep changing.

Nice!
I also hope that encryption will stop soon, so I can swap EHOH tracks with tracks from another pin

#3800 3 years ago

(Deleted post)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.75
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,489 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 9,695.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/76?hl=jason_jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.