1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 112.
#3601 4 years ago

fooflighter I also have made my own custom Shoot again video for JP (It's like ball saved animation, but when ball is about to crack screen, instead of that, it says Shoot again (I drawed Shoot again letters in Paint))
See it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ealli4_hNwcwdd8YqpsIZNcvfmEu8zJx

BTW, is your custom Shoot again video ready?

#3602 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Pinball Browser supporters,
I have some bad news. A couple days ago, Stern made some modifications to stop Pinball Browser from working. Again.
These modifications have clearly no other goal than that, and have no benefit for the user.
The nature of the changes are technical. New encoding techniques, changing how sound files work...actions that are specifically designed to make it difficult to modify a game. None of these changes are for the benefit of the owner of the game.
Stern is spending significant developer time on keeping their customers from modifying their games. Looking at these changes they've made, I'm actually surprised this is their focus, rather than features and game code updates that the players of the games really care about. From a risk/reward standpoint, they are also increasing the risk of introducing bugs in the code with no reward for it.
I still don't understand why they want so badly to stop PB.
I'm not their enemy, I've only played fair with them. I've always discouraged or made it difficult for copyrighted materials to be shared or distributed. I've never included functions to change things like the regional limitations (US/EU), to reset the lifetime audits, change the game rules or other things like that...
It is clear that it's easier for them to throw sand in the wheels of PB than for me to keep PB working. That must be their goal.
I have to warn you all that one day will come where it won't be possible to adjust PB and you won't be able to customize your games anymore. To prevent that, I suggest that
all of you write to Stern
about this unnecessary actions against PB. I would like to work with them! At a minimum, I need to understand what their issue is with a customer modifying their own machine. If a person buys a Ford, does Ford make all the bolts in the car tamperproof so you can't swap out a part? Is there some licensing issue that we don't understand?
Hopefully, they will engage directly with us on this.

Wow.
As someone who helped about 50 or more people change songs out on their AC/DC and Metallica back in the day, I must say this really sucks.
I can't believe this is the route Stern wants to take on this.
Hopefully future code updates for older games can still be changed, but I would bet that the only way to keep songs changed after this, (barring a work around by OGA83), would be to keep running older code.

#3603 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Suspect it's a licensing issue.
Some IP owners require the licensees to take all action to protect and secure IP such that the product is only the approved product and can't be modified or that any artefacts they provide are kept secure, it could be this makes them take this action.
Neil.

This seems like a valid reason. However, it's my machine and it should be my right to do with it what I want. I've never damaged a machine using PB. I HAVE blown a $200 node board installing one of STERN'S updates that they refused to cover. Now they're playing games and trying to stop PB. Yet another reason in an ever growing list why I refuse to support this company any further.

#3604 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan2000:

fooflighter I also have made my own custom Shoot again video for JP (It's like ball saved animation, but when ball is about to crack screen, instead of that, it says Shoot again (I drawed Shoot again letters in Paint))
See it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ealli4_hNwcwdd8YqpsIZNcvfmEu8zJx
BTW, is your custom Shoot again video ready?

...edited

#3605 4 years ago

Great video!

#3606 4 years ago

Maybe they want to offer there own version of pinball browser where they have there own official app you an customise the audio / video in there future games. This app obviously makes money and is very popular so why would stern not want some of the pie???

#3607 4 years ago

fooflighter Which sound scripts in JP are Shoot again and Ball Saved sounds?

#3608 4 years ago

fooflighter Which sound scripts in JP are Shoot again and Ball Saved sounds?

I'm linking the entire package along with the locations one sec...

*update removed locations until finalized

#3609 4 years ago

Great! Thanks for sharing

#3610 4 years ago

I've been up too late ...

I just realized my location codes for the SD Image with be different than the raw locations...standby...getting the new areas...

(Removed old location graphic)

#3611 4 years ago

I'll be patiently waiting for the new picture of sound and video locations

#3612 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I made some changes to Metallica, including editing of some text on one of the screens as a joke. The problem is that screen is no longer in color on my ColorDMD. It's just yellow, which I think might be the default or something.
Anyway know how to fix that issue?

You can't do that.

ColorDMD colorizes what Stern ships. If you change what Stern ships they can't colorize it, period. You'd have to go into the ColorDMD setup menu to see if there's an option to change the default to something different, but it's going to simply be one solid color.

--Donnie

#3613 4 years ago

Can i still put new songs on maiden at the moment with pinball browser?

#3614 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Hopefully, they will engage directly with us on this.

Seems weird that they would go to to so much trouble and not just send a cease and desist letter. Maybe they know they can't make you stop...?

#3615 4 years ago

Okay it's done!

First off let me say I love JP and the designers, coders, and programmers at Stern. They are really talented people.

Thanks to using Pinball Browser, I was able to change (mod) a couple vids and sound I feel needed tweaking for me personally. Not disparaging or trying to take away anything from anyone at Stern or the coders.

I've included a link here for those who own the JP Premium/LE edition to view, download, use on their machines some *.mp4 and *.wav files I feel just kick it up a little bit. (these may work on the PRO - I don't know for sure at the file locations and lengths may vary)

Here's what I did:

Changed the BALL SAVE Audio to have a more pronounced "thunk" and "glass shatter" when the ball it hits the screen in the transition video

Added extra HUD graphics to the SMART MISSLE launch and post impact HIT video and audio

Added extra HUD graphics to the SMART MISSLE launch and post impact MISS video and audio

Added an original custom designed SHOOT AGAIN video/audio files to completely replace the factory vid and audio

Please see the readme.txt file in the link below if you decide to use these files.

*NOTES*

Although the videos contain audio, that audio is not the ones the game uses and is disregarded in the video import process via Pinball Browser, you need to import the wav files as well to their proper locations.

Some of the *.wav files have differing or boosted dynamics from their video companion

The included videos are at 1360x768 resolution and 30fps - viewing them in the webbrowser via google may produce 720P or lower results with compression artifacts, for best viewing quality, download them to your computer.

I've tried and tested these on my JP Premium using a backup image file of my Factory SD card - everything works perfectly and the audio levels don't clip.

You may show 1 extra frame importing the videos from the factory but this doesn't affect the function/timing within the game

(Disclaimer - I'm not responsible if you brick your machine...I just had to say that for legalese , but you should be fine)

CLICK LINK BELOW TO ACCESS FILES

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RO_5shtCyWkqc_1cBef7_H48PiIW6SWo?usp=sharing
jpedits.jpgjpedits.jpg

#3616 4 years ago

You have to expect Stern to protect the relationship with their licensors. I’m sure Stern was told lock your software or your paying for a full license from now on. No more not paying for movie assets or soundtrack if your letting people so easily add them. It’s only because Stern is a decade in the past that this went on as long as it has. It will suck if that rumoured last AC/DC comes out but we can’t change the songs.

#3617 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Suspect it's a licensing issue.
Some IP owners require the licensees to take all action to protect and secure IP such that the product is only the approved product and can't be modified or that any artefacts they provide are kept secure, it could be this makes them take this action.
Neil.

Quoted from Darscot:

You have to expect Stern to protect the relationship with their licensors. I’m sure Stern was told lock your software or your paying for a full license from now on. No more not paying for movie assets or soundtrack if your letting people so easily add them. It’s only because Stern is a decade in the past that this went on as long as it has. It will suck if that rumoured last AC/DC comes out but we can’t change the songs.

You have the right to modify your own game.
That's what you do when you add a mod on your game, objects or stickers on your playfield, replace your dmd with a colorized lcd, use an external sound board, repaint the cabinet, ...
It's not because someone don't want you to do it that you don't have the right to do it.
Anyway, Pinball Browser has been around for almost 7 years, in full public view, without any concerns about this.
And today, all of a sudden, it wouldn't be approved anymore ?
To me, it looks more like an engineer who made a personal challenge to block PB.

#3618 4 years ago

Yeah,
Pinball Browser was available almost 7 years, and Stern was fine with this
But for some reason, they are not fine anymore, and now they want to block PB
We can't let this happen

#3619 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Okay it's done!
First off let me say I love JP and the designers, coders, and programmers at Stern. They are really talented people.
Thanks to using Pinball Browser, I was able to change (mod) a couple vids and sound I feel needed tweaking for me personally. Not disparaging or trying to take away anything from anyone at Stern or the coders.
I've included a link here for those who own the JP Premium/LE edition to view, download, use on their machines some *.mp4 and *.wav files I feel just kick it up a little bit. (these may work on the PRO - I don't know for sure at the file locations and lengths may vary)
Here's what I did:
Changed the BALL SAVE Audio to have a more pronounced "thunk" and "glass shatter" when the ball it hits the screen in the transition video
Added extra HUD graphics to the SMART MISSLE launch and post impact HIT video and audio
Added extra HUD graphics to the SMART MISSLE launch and post impact MISS video and audio
Added an original custom designed SHOOT AGAIN video/audio files to completely replace the factory vid and audio
Please see the readme.txt file in the link below if you decide to use these files.
*NOTES*
Although the videos contain audio, that audio is not the ones the game uses and is disregarded in the video import process via Pinball Browser, you need to import the wav files as well to their proper locations.
Some of the *.wav files have differing or boosted dynamics from their video companion
The included videos are at 1360x768 resolution and 30fps - viewing them in the webbrowser via google may produce 720P or lower results with compression artifacts, for best viewing quality, download them to your computer.
I've tried and tested these on my JP Premium using a backup image file of my Factory SD card - everything works perfectly and the audio levels don't clip.
You may show 1 extra frame importing the videos from the factory but this doesn't affect the function/timing within the game
(Disclaimer - I'm not responsible if you brick your machine...I just had to say that for legalese , but you should be fine)
CLICK LINK BELOW TO ACCESS FILES
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RO_5shtCyWkqc_1cBef7_H48PiIW6SWo?usp=sharing
[quoted image]

Great! I like all of edits that you made!
I was browsing JP SD card today, and I labeled locations for a lot videos
Do you need locations for any other videos for Jurassic park? Would you like to edit more videos?
I have locations for most videos, so if you need them, just tell me

#3620 4 years ago

Great! I like all of edits that you made!
I was browsing JP SD card today, and I labeled locations for a lot videos
Do you need locations for any other videos for Jurassic park? Would you like to edit more videos?
I have locations for most videos, so if you need them, just tell me

I suggest that you open a new thread for that. This one is about PB only.

#3621 4 years ago

Sorry

#3622 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

You have the right to modify your own game.
That's what you do when you add a mod on your game, objects or stickers on your playfield, replace your dmd with a colorized lcd, use an external sound board, repaint the cabinet, ...
It's not because someone don't want you to do it that you don't have the right to do it.
Anyway, Pinball Browser has been around for almost
7 years, in full public view, without any concerns about this.
And today, all of a sudden, it wouldn't be approved anymore ?
To me, it looks more like an engineer who made a personal challenge to block PB.

I get that people are upset and your going to lose out on some income but you had to expect this. There is also the very real possibility Stern may want this market for themselves and start selling DLC so the first step would be clean out the competition and that is you. All hacking, jailbreaking, updating, homebrew call it whatever you like its always been a cat and mouse game. Expecting Stern to just let you keep making money on their product is a little naive. If I was you I would be trying to make a business deal with Stern. Trying to get their customers pissed at them sending them angry letters is only going to make this hostile. Also I would not recommend anyone actual send one of those letters. I know everyone hates video game comparisons but send a letter to Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo that you have been messing with the software and see what happens. I know Stern doesn't have any online functionality yet but don't volunteer yourself for the naughty list. If anything you want to draw less attention not more.

#3623 4 years ago

Yeah,
Pinball Browser was available almost 7 years, and Stern was fine with this
But for some reason, they are not fine anymore, and now they want to block PB
We can't let this happen

This attitude is exactly why Stern has no choice but to implement these measures.

It’s been abused. People are trying to monetize it. Stern is at huge legal risk if they don’t try to stop it. Clearly, they should have acted earlier, as you can see the sense of entitlement on display.

#3624 4 years ago

Why are they in huge legal risk?

#3625 4 years ago

Why are they in huge legal risk?

I’d imagine that when Stern brokers a licensing deal with Iron Maiden, Iron Maiden expects Iron Maiden music to play from the Iron Maiden pinball machine. Instead of some disco bullshit that pinball mix guy is selling out of the back of a tent at replayfx.

I’d imagine that Disney is interested in an official Star Wars pinball machine playing the official music of their multi billion dollar IP, not some shitty band that has nothing to do with Star Wars.

If you can’t understand why Stern has had their hand forced by profiteers, you simply aren’t trying. Pinball Browser was cute and fun, and allowed people to be creative, but it was ruined by profiteers and people who couldn’t simply allow it to be what it was. That’s not Stern’s fault.

These actions have put Stern at risk. Financially and legally. Not to mention, continued inaction could potentially endanger their ability to acquire top flight licenses.

They had no choice and if you are looking to point fingers, you are pointing in the wrong direction if Stern is your target.

#3626 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’d imagine that when Stern brokers a licensing deal with Iron Maiden, Iron Maiden expects Iron Maiden music to play from the Iron Maiden pinball machine. Instead of some disco bullshit that pinball mix guy is selling out of the back of a tent at replayfx.
I’d imagine that Disney is interested in an official Star Wars pinball machine playing the official music of their multi billion dollar IP, not some shitty band that has nothing to do with Star Wars.
If you can’t understand why Stern has had their hand forced by profiteers, you simply aren’t trying. Pinball Browser was cute and fun, and allowed people to be creative, but it was ruined by profiteers and people who couldn’t simply allow it to be what it was. That’s not Stern’s fault.
These actions have put Stern at risk. Financially and legally. Not to mention, continued inaction could potentially endanger their ability to acquire top flight licenses.
They had no choice and if you are looking to point gingers, you are pointing in the wrong direction if Stern is your target.

Thanks for explaining me

#3627 4 years ago

I'd like to chime in and say that I so appreciate oga83 and his efforts. I think I use PB for the way it was intended. I have modified or used others modifications on many of my games (KISS, AC/DC, Star Trek, GB, IM, Guardians). It's my game and I was able to have fun making adjustments that made my own game more pleasurable for me. I changed songs and sounds. On KISS, I even have three different SD cards with different playlists so every few months, I switch the SD and have a "new" game to play. I also believe the efforts of cleland made Guardians a very enjoyable game, as opposed to questionably acceptable. Do we need a reminder of "A-bo-ba-li-bobo"?

I get nervous when I see others utilizing PB to modify a game with the intent of marketing those mods. This may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Stern probably always knew about PB but it was a low priority. As more and more people became familiar with PB and it's potential and popularity grew, it may have been pushed to the forefront.

If Stern wants to come up with their own version and market it. Great. I'm in because I think we should be able to modify our own games. But I will not stop supporting oga83 and his efforts. I believe more than one version of code modification can co-exist. But I echo the thoughts of @CrazyLevi..."It’s been abused. People are trying to monetize it."

#3628 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’d imagine that when Stern brokers a licensing deal with Iron Maiden, Iron Maiden expects Iron Maiden music to play from the Iron Maiden pinball machine. Instead of some disco bullshit

man that's the saddest thing of this whole affair. Learning that Levi doesn't like disco music
(agree with your other points btw).

#3629 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

man that's the saddest thing of this whole affair. Learning that Levi doesn't like disco music
(agree with your other points btw).

Yeah, you're right. His explanation really turned into a disco inferno. For a minute I couldn't tell if I had night fever or if it was just jive talking. Either way, I will survive.

#3630 4 years ago

When doing a macro import of WAV/script files I am getting the error, 'No data found in this WAV!'
I haven't been able to find this reported already in the thread. Any ideas? What doesn't make sense is that the EXACT same file from the EXACT same location imports without issue when uploaded via the singular Import option. It's only and issue when using the macro import for that same file.
Appreciate any help! I am using the latest PBrowser version.

UPDATE: So the files I was using were manipulated by a sound normalizer program. Something with that program seemed to have "corrupted" those files. I was able to salvage the normalization work by taking all the new files into audacity and re-sampling + exporting them. Those all imported successfully via the macro afterwards. However, it still doesn't make sense to me that, before "correcting" them in that manner, that the files failed with the macro but succeeded with single import. Perhaps PBrowser does some WAV "correction" in the latter/singular method?

#3631 4 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

When doing a macro import of WAV/script files I am getting the error, 'No data found in this WAV!'
I haven't been able to find this reported already in the thread. Any ideas? What doesn't make sense is that the EXACT same file from the EXACT same location imports without issue when uploaded via the singular Import option. It's only and issue when using the macro import for that same file.
Appreciate any help! I am using the latest PBrowser version.
UPDATE: So the files I was using were manipulated by a sound normalizer program. Something with that program seemed to have "corrupted" those files. I was able to salvage the normalization work by taking all the new files into audacity and re-sampling + exporting them. Those all imported successfully via the macro afterwards. However, it still doesn't make sense to me that, before "correcting" them in that manner, that the files failed with the macro but succeeded with single import. Perhaps PBrowser does some WAV "correction" in the latter/singular method?

That's weird because both functions use the same code. If you send the corrupted file to me, I'l try to solve this mistery.

#3632 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Saw this in a recent Stern e-mail. Looks like they want to do alternate soundtracks themselves.

Have you heard the new game changing alternative soundtrack to Black Knight? Tune in to Dead Flip Pinball Streaming this Thursday night to see and hear the action!

#3633 4 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

Have you heard the new game changing alternative soundtrack to Black Knight? Tune in to Dead Flip Pinball Streaming this Thursday night to see and hear the action!

Stern said that to you?

#3634 4 years ago

has been in there since the last code update, its an option in the settings to turn it on.

#3635 4 years ago

Looks like the latest version of JP update 1.01 broke Pinball browser access

#3636 4 years ago

Why it broke PB access? Is it because we can't modify sounds on 1.01 version?

#3637 4 years ago

Why it broke PB access? Is it because we can't modify sounds on 1.01 version?

looks that way so far

#3638 4 years ago

How many videos are in 1.01 version?

#3639 4 years ago

I think you'll see this with every release from now on unfortunately.

Quoted from fooflighter:

Looks like the latest version of JP update 1.01 broke Pinball browser access

#3640 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I think you'll see this with every release from now on unfortunately.

I can understand from a licensing/monetization point of view. Just sucks since I was modding for my own purposes and not reselling any changes.

I think this is the step Stern is making to the DLC market most likely.

#3641 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I can understand from a licensing/monetization point of view. Just sucks since I was modding for my own purposes and not reselling any changes.
I think this is the step Stern is making to the DLC market most likely.

Stern want you to pay them to mod your game not a third party. Like others have said probably all updated will restrict access and stern will bring some similar app out for $$$ If anything the op has shown people will pay to mod there game so probably gave stern the idea! Shame they did not team up and create a product together but I guess stern wants it all in house? Any way that’s all speculation

Would be a good time to release such an app though, if you can’t sell hardware, sell subscriptions / DLC

#3642 4 years ago

Im currently working on adding some new songs to maiden for the first time... the music tracks have loaded, which is all that i am changing... but there are no images of the game screens, just the menu options.
Is this normal?

#3643 4 years ago

Images for Spike2 games are stored in Videos tab

#3644 4 years ago

Its empty in vid tab... if i hit the “play “ symbol, it opens up a bunch of windows.
Heres other windows im seeing on startup...

2D013B9B-AB5F-4018-9F30-ED888FFF58E2 (resized).jpeg2D013B9B-AB5F-4018-9F30-ED888FFF58E2 (resized).jpeg4427F6FC-BCA1-49DD-80FE-CC47D45B400E (resized).jpeg4427F6FC-BCA1-49DD-80FE-CC47D45B400E (resized).jpeg
#3645 4 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Its empty in vid tab... if i hit the “play “ symbol, it opens up a bunch of windows.
Heres other windows im seeing on startup...[quoted image][quoted image]

Do you have FFMPEG installed and copied, as it says?

#3646 4 years ago

You need to download FFMPEG and FFPROBE if you want to see videos

#3647 4 years ago

Its installed, and i have placed it in the same folder as pb... ive tried it with the extracted file from ffmpeg, and also tried using the root folder. No change.

#3648 4 years ago

Do you have ffprobe?

#3649 4 years ago

Nope. But if i only want new songs do i still need it?

#3650 4 years ago

You need to have BOTH ffmpeg and ffprobe in PB directory if you want to see videos.
I didn't find video with song names in video tab, but there are song names in Messages tab

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 26.95
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/73?hl=timlah79 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.