5 (resized).png
4 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,576 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 112.
#3401 4 years ago

How Stern knows about Pinball Browser?

#3402 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan2000:

How Stern knows about Pinball Browser?

Stern has about the same cognitive abilities you do, how do you know about Pinball Browser?

#3403 4 years ago

Pinball browser pretty much fixes what stern couldn't do.

#3404 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Stern has about the same cognitive abilities you do, how do you know about Pinball Browser?

On VPINBALL.COM, I saw somebody asking about musics, and then I saw reply that have "Pinball browser" in. That inspired me to see that program

#3405 4 years ago

Does anybody else get this error when trying to open 0xDB or 0xB8 sound scripts for WPT in 6.65 version?

WPT (resized).jpgWPT (resized).jpg
#3406 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

modsbox
I understand your frustration but I think you're a little rough on me.
I also think you're hitting the wrong target. You should complain to Stern and ask them to stop adding features whose only goals are to stop Pinball Browser from working.

Ok. I feel pretty awful at this point. I apologize. Your software is awesome. I think I was just a bit frustrated because pretty much the moment I paid for the license and modified my first firmware with your tool (0.95 JP2) Stern released new firmwares that we couldn't work with.

If there's any way I can help, please let me know. I'm a classically trained software engineer, roughly 8 years as a SWE before I moved into management. It'd be great if there was a way for those of us so excited about being able to make changes to the firmwares could help you somehow. Thank you very much for what you do, I'm sorry Stern is trying to make things so difficult for all of us!

#3407 4 years ago
Quoted from modsbox:

I'm sorry Stern is trying to make things so difficult for all of us!

Me too!

#3408 4 years ago

I can't believe Stern pinball disabled sound edit feature!

#3409 4 years ago

Well technically doesn't fall under reverse engineering laws? I can understand why they might do it, but I do think it is a waste of resources on their part considering how long it takes them to even get code out and since there is minimal monetary loss from it. However, it seems that since you are charging for the product (it seems?), that may also introduce a legal problem. IP holders don't tend to be very flexible.

#3410 4 years ago

modsbox
No worries !
Thanks for your help offer.

#3411 4 years ago

I'm working on a Pin2Dmd style tweak in lieu of a colorization for Star Trek Pro running the latest v1.62 code. Keeping it simple in pinball browser using one default monochromatic pallet with a color pop I run out of memory doing very limited touch up work. For instance, the work I'm doing would be removing the color pop from a face where it shouldn't be. Is there some trick to reclaiming memory because even using the extend memory button only gives me one more scene at the most. Maybe some other patch..not sure how people do this color work. There must be something I'm missing.

example

#3412 4 years ago

oga83 do you have a plan about making PB be compatible with Jersey Jack Pinball firmwares? I'd like to change songs on WOZ or Hobbit

#3413 4 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

I'm working on a Pin2Dmd style tweak in lieu of a colorization for Star Trek Pro running the latest v1.62 code. Keeping it simple in pinball browser using one default monochromatic pallet with a color pop I run out of memory doing very limited touch up work. For instance, the work I'm doing would be removing the color pop from a face where it shouldn't be. Is there some trick to reclaiming memory because even using the extend memory button only gives me one more scene at the most. Maybe some other patch..not sure how people do this color work. There must be something I'm missing.
example

Currently the only way to really save memory is to use the pin2dmd editor for replacement scenes and only colorize the dynamic scenes in pinball browser.
Maybe j_m_ can give you some tips how to save memory within pinball browser.

#3414 4 years ago

unfortunately, there is just not a lot of remaining free space in star trek to begin with (372,029 kb). extending the memory only adds an additional 82 kb for a total of 456,871 kb of free memory to work with.

compared with a game like metallica, where you have 1,289,030 kb to start with with before extending the available memory. an additional 1,810 kb is added for a total of 3,143,456 kb free after extending the available memory.

the music-based games have double the static ram on the motherboard and for the most part a lot more available, unused ram to work with. I ran into the same issues with x-men and was only able to color a single animation before running out of the remaining, available memory.

one other thing to consider is to wisely plan your palette changes. I made sure to use the pencil tool to change the extreme edges of areas and then the flood fill tool to reduce the number of commands (and memory used). it takes a good amount of time to carefully plan out the palette changes.

if you change the color of the same [pixel] of an image multiple times in a single frame, pinball browser doesn't optimize and only use the last change to the pixel location (or at least it didn't at the time of the last version that I was using when coloring MET.

olivier can verify if this is still the case

#3415 4 years ago

Pinball Browser v7 is ready!

The new features in this version are:

Compatibility with the latest game firmware versions

Stern made some significant changes to their latest versions of firmware. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, these changes only serve the purpose to stop Pinball Broswer from working. Specifically, the sounds are now encoded.

Just a note regarding this issue. The Stern development team is clearly quite brilliant, and excellent at making games. It's unfortunate that I was required to work so hard to make Pinball Browser work for all of you. Honestly, I'm not sure why they do not want their customers to modify their games. I'm sure it took some time for them to implement these new changes and their time would have been worthier elsewhere. I'd prefer to work with them cooperatively instead of going through this process, which hurts all of you, Stern's customers.
Stern, if you're listening, I'm open to a conversation !

Export functions :

It is now possible to export DMD frames in .PNG, sounds in .WAV and videos in .MP4 formats.

Video functions

- The video interface has been modified to allow bookmarks, video and frame direct access.

- It is now possible to replace videos. This feature was one of the big challenge because Pinball Browser has to access files embedded in a filesystem, embedded in a partition, embedded in a sd card image. That required a major modification in the way Pinball Browser reads and writes the image of the firmware.

Messages can be edited again in Spike2 firmwares (it didn't work in the latest firmwares)

Communication patch
The communication patch is now available for Spike2 games. It will allow some mods to get game informations and sync with the the game (like the PinballMikeD mod on AC/DC or the SmartDmd side-channel palettes). I hope that some new mods will use it soon.

Spk files
Spk upgrade files are still supported but, as SD-card images are now available, this feature will be deprecated soon. These files have limited functionalities because they only include what has been modified for a new firmware version.

This version requires a new license. Users who have donated in 2020 will get it for free.
Just click on the register button and you'll be all set !

Last note : this version is still a beta one (because of the major changes I had to make in its core). You'll probably find few bugs but I'll work them out !

Pinball Browser 7 can be downloaded

here.

Enjoy this new version !

#3416 4 years ago

I tried to download your newest version of PB, but I got error when it was about to be saved in folder

#3417 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan2000:

I tried to download your newest version of PB, but I got error when it was about to be saved in folder

The file has already been downloaded several times. Could it be an issue with your AV ?

#3418 4 years ago

Hi Oga83,

just let me tell you i just love pinball Browser. Chaning sounds and now Videos creates so much possibilitys.
I have a Munster Pro with Version 1.02 SD-Card image that i tested with. i was anticipating the Video change, in the Munsters Firmware
are some animations that are just horrible. One in General it's Lily doing Vacuuming or Dusting.
I searched the Video Files with new Version 7.0 Beta3 and i could not find it.
What i did find out is that at the postion Pinball Browser seems to be skipping Videos.
It seems to be happening one Video before the Stern Team Credits 0x42. It's Jumping directly from 0x40 to 0x42.

Thanks for your work and maybe it's something for the future to look at.

Munsters_Team_Credits (resized).JPGMunsters_Team_Credits (resized).JPG
#3419 4 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

Hi Oga83,
just let me tell you i just love pinball Browser. Chaning sounds and now Videos creates so much possibilitys.
I have a Munster Pro with Version 1.02 SD-Card image that i tested with. i was anticipating the Video change, in the Munsters Firmware
are some animations that are just horrible. One in General it's Lily doing Vacuuming or Dusting.
I searched the Video Files with new Version 7.0 Beta3 and i could not find it.
What i did find out is that at the postion Pinball Browser seems to be skipping Videos.
It seems to be happening one Video before the Stern Team Credits 0x42. It's Jumping directly from 0x40 to 0x42.
Thanks for your work and maybe it's something for the future to look at.[quoted image]

Have you tried using the arrow keys instead of clicking the arrow? Also, be prepared, some of the videos may be cut into pieces.

#3420 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

The file has already been downloaded several times. Could it be an issue with your AV ?

What AV stands for?

#3421 4 years ago

cabal Use the '+' and '-' keys instead of the scrollbar. You can also enter 0x41 in the bookmark area and hit 'Enter'.
pinballfan2000 AV stands for Antivirus. Sorry for not being clear !

#3422 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Sorry for not being clear !

It's alright
When I tried to download PB, I clicked on arrow next to discard button, and google chrome said it may contain viruses, malwares and etc. Can you send me your already downloaded pinball browser 7? My email adress is [email protected]

#3423 4 years ago

thanks oga83,

this seems to be working. when i manualy enter the 0x41 it works
now i will play around with it.

#3424 4 years ago

To make sure I understand this right, I can now chop up clips from Jurassic Park movie and use them in the code (JP2) replacing the current graphics? Does it play it full screen? Does it play the audio from the video clip too or just video? This is amazing if so. Great job.

#3425 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

To make sure I understand this right, I can now chop up clips from Jurassic Park movie and use them in the code (JP2) replacing the current graphics? Does it play it full screen? Does it play the audio from the video clip too or just video? This is amazing if so. Great job.

Yes, you can import/export video clips (only the video clips, not the animation scenes). There is no audio in the video clips.

#3426 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I think it's basically up to us, and some of this is unknown until you try it. For example, here are some captures from my new "how to use the machine" video, featuring my dog:

coin_drop (resized).jpgcoin_drop (resized).jpg

press_start (resized).jpgpress_start (resized).jpg

#3427 4 years ago

Updated to Beta4 to fix an issue with old Sam firmwares.

#3428 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

if you change the color of the same [pixel] of an image multiple times in a single frame, pinball browser doesn't optimize and only use the last change to the pixel location (or at least it didn't at the time of the last version that I was using when coloring MET.

I don't understand what you mean.
If you { change a pixel in a frame + save the frame } multiple times, it will fragment the memory, which can lead to memory exhaustion. In this case, the solution is to use the "optimize macro" function and to run it on a fresh firmware. This will recover memory. For more details, see the "Macros" section in the faq.
If you change a pixel multiple times in a frame before saving it, it is strictly equivalent to a single modification.

#3429 4 years ago

Elvira's House of Horror 0.90.0 raw file is OK, 0.91.0 and 0.92.0 are KO (Unknown firmware!)

Update : It's all OK after unzipping them again.

#3430 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Yes, you can import/export video clips (only the video clips, not the animation scenes). There is no audio in the video clips.

OK - so this can't change those transition screens in JP2 that have the custom assets stern created (like the TREX screaming at you upon MB, rescue mission cutscenes)? I was initially thinking about including JP video in place for those holders so when you get TREX MB or event, a clip from JP plays....not possible right?

If it's not, still an amazing update and thank you for your time.

#3431 4 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Update : Seems OK with Beta 4...

Thank you for the update !

#3432 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Thank you for the update !

It's a little weirder. After unziping the raw file, the first opening is ok, the second :

Sans titre (resized).pngSans titre (resized).png
#3433 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

1. Thank you so much for this amazing program and the time you put into it!
2. For Stern Star Wars I was able to export some animations as a silent video clip. I have no interest in changing those but I assume I could? Maybe JP is similar.
3. I was able to export multiple videos as an .mp4 that had sound. I'm not sure, but I think when those clips actually play in the game, the embedded audio is muted and there is a corresponding separate audio file that plays.

#3434 4 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

It's a little weirder. After unziping the raw file, the first opening is ok, the second

Try to restart Pinball Browser in between. Just to check if it's a memory leak, an unreleased file lock or something similar.
Which firmware is it ?

#3435 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Try to restart Pinball Browser in between. Just to check if it's a memory leak, an unreleased file lock or something similar.
Which firmware is it ?

I have the problem with Elvira's house of horror 0.91.0 and 0.92.0 raw files. I have tried to close PB in between, without succes.

#3436 4 years ago

Hey oga83 thanks SO much for the update! Everything Sound wise seems to work. I just wasn't expecting this warning upon opening a fresh JP LE 1.00 firmware SPK. Should I ignore it? Sorry if you already answered this earlier. I saw your note about:
"Spk files
Spk upgrade files are still supported but, as SD-card images are now available, this feature will be deprecated soon. These files have limited functionalities because they only include what has been modified for a new firmware version."

I just don't know what to worry or not worry about moving forward. Thanks!

2020-03-17_15-43-16 (resized).png2020-03-17_15-43-16 (resized).png

#3437 4 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Hey oga83 thanks SO much for the update! Everything Sound wise seems to work. I just wasn't expecting this warning upon opening a fresh JP LE 1.00 firmware SPK. Should I ignore it? Sorry if you already answered this earlier. I saw your note about:
"Spk files
Spk upgrade files are still supported but, as SD-card images are now available, this feature will be deprecated soon. These files have limited functionalities because they only include what has been modified for a new firmware version."
I just don't know what to worry or not worry about moving forward. Thanks!
[quoted image]

You should work off the SD images instead of the .SPK upgrade. The SD images are available from Sterns website.

#3438 4 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

You should work off the SD images instead of the .SPK upgrade. The SD images are available from Sterns website.

https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/

#3439 4 years ago

Hi oga83,

yesterday i changed some video in attract mode, replaced it with an Minions sniplet. Just great.
But in the Munsters Firmaware there seem to not all Videos possible to select? I have seen that the statistics in 6.65 version showed more Videos.
Is this an known restriction or bug?

Pinball_Browser700B4 (resized).JPGPinball_Browser700B4 (resized).JPGPinball_Browser_665 (resized).JPGPinball_Browser_665 (resized).JPG
#3440 4 years ago

cabal
This is because Pinball Browser v6.65 was not counting the videos correctly. See here. However, if you find a video that is displayed in v6.65 and not in v7.00, just let me know.

#3441 4 years ago

Version 7.01 is available and fixes several small things.

#3442 4 years ago

Hi oga83,

i had now both 665 and 700 open and have gone through all videos. 7.00 stopped at 0xC6 at a rattling trapdoor. But 6.65 Version had a lot longer list after this Video. in 6.65 i am able to view the following Videos, so they are no ghosts or wrong indexes. But i am not 100% sure if the videos are used in Gameplay.

665 (resized).jpg665 (resized).jpg700 (resized).jpg700 (resized).jpg
#3443 4 years ago

cabal Are you sure that all the videos listed in v6.65, after the last one listed in v7, can actually be played ?

#3444 4 years ago

yes i know it looks strange, it's realy a lot of videos after the rattling trapdoor. I haven't tried all of them. But at least 10. And some of them i can't remember to have seen before. I will try some more and write back what i can find out.
There is one scene i was looking for it's for munster multiball called hurry up. I will try if i can find it in the 665 version. I was not able to find this video in 700.

#3445 4 years ago

Just checked, i made a list with 6.65 version some time ago and yes most of the video seem to be working after the 0xC6 too bad the old version is not showing the names, maybe there is some gab. The old version eg. has an Videos called like this 11 -> 11 -> 11 ->77
three in the row called 11 then one more with 77. The one with 77 i was looking for, they are all after the 0xC6 Video.
I looked on the SD Card and i could find it, with an real bad filename
when i renamed it to mp4 i was able to play it. So it's somehow included.
if you need more information please ask, or if i can help you in some way, i know it's hard work you are doing and every image it's differences

regards,
Peter

#3446 4 years ago

Getting exceptions when I try to access any video in Iron Maiden (Pro) 1.6. Sounds work fine. Is Maiden not supported yet or should I share the logs?

#3447 4 years ago

oh my god minions took over my machine. i was not able to shake them out.
i am having so much fun.

P1110821 (resized).JPGP1110821 (resized).JPGP1110826 (resized).JPGP1110826 (resized).JPG
#3448 4 years ago

Quick question about working off the SD card. I know it was recommended that you create a new image on a new card, keeping the old one as a backup. However, with the availability of the images directly from Stern, that isn't necessary anymore, correct?

I can just write to the existing card and if anything happens, load the factory image from Stern?

#3449 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Quick question about working off the SD card. I know it was recommended that you create a new image on a new card, keeping the old one as a backup. However, with the availability of the images directly from Stern, that isn't necessary anymore, correct?
I can just write to the existing card and if anything happens, load the factory image from Stern?

Yes, you can do it that way. But it's nice to just have the modified SD card and Stock SD card loaded and ready to go.

I download the SD image from Stern and duplicate the file on my computer and label one stock and work on the copy version in Pinball Browser.

#3450 4 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Yes, you can do it that way. But it's nice to just have the modified SD card and Stock SD card loaded and ready to go.
I download the SD image from Stern and duplicate the file on my computer and label one stock and work on the copy version in Pinball Browser.

This is how I do it also and HIGHLY recommend this method. SD cards are cheap and when modifying game code you should ALWAYS have the factory as a backup. Not worth the gamble possibly corrupting the factory SD. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Stern's updates are just additions to the already written code. I dont think they are the entire game code.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
DEAD POOL (PRO) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 25.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,576 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/69?hl=timlah79 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.