1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,560 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 112.
#3001 5 years ago

Hi all! Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't seem to find any info on it after looking through this thread and the FAQ:

I'm trying to export animations and images from within the "display" tab of Pinball Browser. I exported ~44 frames from ST 2013, however the file format exported is ".pbi". I can't seem to find any info on this file type anywhere. Could anyone point me towards any info on this file extension? Converting to something like .PNG would be great, but even just info on how the pixel info is stored in this container would be plenty - I'll just be using these files to render animations within my own DMD display software (just a clock/display similar to "RunDMD") so if I knew how to access pixel data in this format, that would be just as good!

Any pointers would be amazing - and thanks to oga83 for your work! I spent hours last night just exploring all the resources packed in the Star Trek 2013 game code - so cool!!

#3002 5 years ago
Quoted from pekilica:

Why nobody listen to me?

I think the language barrier is a problem for me. I don't understand the problem you're describing, so I'm unable to suggest a solution.
Maybe if you say what your native language is someone here who also knows that language would be more helpful?

#3003 5 years ago
Quoted from PatrickH:

Hi all! Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't seem to find any info on it after looking through this thread and the FAQ:
I'm trying to export animations and images from within the "display" tab of Pinball Browser. I exported ~44 frames from ST 2013, however the file format exported is ".pbi". I can't seem to find any info on this file type anywhere. Could anyone point me towards any info on this file extension? Converting to something like .PNG would be great, but even just info on how the pixel info is stored in this container would be plenty - I'll just be using these files to render animations within my own DMD display software (just a clock/display similar to "RunDMD") so if I knew how to access pixel data in this format, that would be just as good!
Any pointers would be amazing - and thanks to oga83 for your work! I spent hours last night just exploring all the resources packed in the Star Trek 2013 game code - so cool!!

I believe .pbi is specific to the software. Image export (in a standard format) was removed at one point and later added back into the software. Possibly copyright issues.

#3004 5 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

I believe .pbi is specific to the software. Image export (in a standard format) was removed at one point and later added back into the software. Possibly copyright issues.

That's kinda what I was guessing. I wonder if oga83 would be willing to provide some info on this file format? Like I mentioned earlier, I don't necessarily need to convert these files to anything, I'd just love to know the way the data is stored so I can extract it (even on a per-pixel basis, every frame) and re-construct it on my DMD.

Thanks for the quick reply, by the way zene10 !

#3005 5 years ago

Just gonna document here some interesting finds regarding the container used to store these exported images. Obviously this is all pure speculation, but I'm determined to get to the bottom of this!

I wrote a script to unpack a .pbi file and write each byte as an integer value into an ouput.txt file. The image I'm unpacking is a tiny "0" made of red and black pixels. I figured the result would perhaps be some garbage bytes at the beginning related to the container followed by lots of "0" and "255" values, which could perhaps be byte values within a RGBA tuple (since all the values in this image would be full-red channel, black (0,0,0) and variants of full and zero alpha...

Obviously that assumes the values stored would be byte-aligned, but I figure even if they aren't, some patterns should emerge that indicate where the actual pixel data is stored (since this image has lots of repeating red pixel values).

I guess I'm totally wrong, because the bytes I'm printing are completely random and following seemingly no pattern whatsoever. Perhaps these files are encrypted? perhaps there exists data between each pixel that's not byte-aligned, making it really difficult to find patterns? That seems unlikely since it'd be way harder to pull data from a file if its data wasn't byte aligned...

EDIT: looks my assumption was wrong. I don't think color is stored at all in these .pbi files. Just brightness? Exporting in a different "color" results in the same .pbi file. color must be something applied by Pinball Browser directly

#3006 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I think the language barrier is a problem for me. I don't understand the problem you're describing, so I'm unable to suggest a solution.
Maybe if you say what your native language is someone here who also knows that language would be more helpful?

Sorry,but i suspect language isn't problem.I can't open it with none language

#3007 5 years ago

Sorry i disagree

#3008 5 years ago
Quoted from pekilica:

The fact that this is your response proves their is some sort of language barrier. Where are you from? Are you using google translate?

You're probably not getting much help because you've posted multiple threads with random questions about game sounds without ever stating what you are trying to do.

I still can't figure out if you've donated to unlock Pinball Browser and can't figure that out, or if you're trying to get around that.

#3009 5 years ago
Quoted from pekilica:

He is saying we have a hard time helping because many of us only speak English and you clearly speak another language as your native tongue. Where are you from?

Odakle dolazite?
Odakle ste?
Odkud jste?
Hvor er du fra?
Waar komt u vandaan?
Mistä olet kotoisin?
D'où êtes-vous ?
Woher kommen Sie?
Hová valósi Ön?
Da dove vieni?
出身はどこですか?
شما اهل کجا هستيد؟
¿De dónde es usted?
munglIj nuq

#3010 5 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

He is saying we have a hard time helping because many of us only speak English and you clearly speak another language as your native tongue. Where are you from?
Odakle dolazite?
Odakle ste?
Odkud jste?
Hvor er du fra?
Waar komt u vandaan?
Mistä olet kotoisin?
D'où êtes-vous ?
Woher kommen Sie?
Hová valósi Ön?
Da dove vieni?
出身はどこですか?
شما اهل کجا هستيد؟
¿De dónde es usted?
munglIj nuq

From english

#3011 5 years ago

Is anyone having trouble with pin2dmd colorization of Met v1.80 code? I have all the settings saved as before - side channel, serial connection, but when I load v1.80 code the pin2dmd will only display the "default" palette. It cannot change color palettes. Has anyone else seen this problem and found a fix?

#3012 5 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Is anyone having trouble with pin2dmd colorization of Met v1.80 code? I have all the settings saved as before - side channel, serial connection, but when I load v1.80 code the pin2dmd will only display the "default" palette. It cannot change color palettes. Has anyone else seen this problem and found a fix?

Was it working before/does the previous code work?

I was struggling getting it working with a new PIN2DMD but it turned out I had a bad MAX232 chip on mine so it was a hardware issue not a software issue.

#3013 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Was it working before/does the previous code work?

I was struggling getting it working with a new PIN2DMD but it turned out I had a bad MAX232 chip on mine so it was a hardware issue not a software issue.

Yes and no - I had the 1.70 code working perfectly on my old MET I sold several months ago. That one sold with my old pin2dmd installed. I just acquired a new MET last week, with newer pin2dmd, and the 1.70 code works partially. Some screens changes palettes perfectly (like the snake, coffin ball lock, MET letters, Sparky, and many others). Others (like the main score numbers, lady justice, etc.) do not correctly change palettes. They simply use the last palette loaded. When I update to 1.80 code, it will not change a single palette - it only uses the "default" palette.

Do you think this could be a hardware issue? And if so, why is it working SOME of the time? Thanks for your help.

#3014 5 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Yes and no - I had the 1.70 code working perfectly on my old MET I sold several months ago. That one sold with my old pin2dmd installed. I just acquired a new MET last week, with newer pin2dmd, and the 1.70 code works partially. Some screens changes palettes perfectly (like the snake, coffin ball lock, MET letters, Sparky, and many others). Others (like the main score numbers, lady justice, etc.) do not correctly change palettes. They simply use the last palette loaded. When I update to 1.80 code, it will not change a single palette - it only uses the "default" palette.
Do you think this could be a hardware issue? And if so, why is it working SOME of the time? Thanks for your help.

Based on the trouble shooting lucky1 did with me I'd say it isn't hardware related... in my case we were able to determine that the PIN2DMD was not receiving any serial data at all... he was a great help getting me up and going, I'd recommend reaching out to him. Other trouble shooting steps we took included connecting the serial cable from the MET to my PC to capture the stream of data coming from the MET, he was able to look at that stream to confirm that right data was being sent to the PIN2DMD. We then were able to put some debug code on the PIN2DMD to confirm that the serial data simply wasn't making it there and it was an easy fix from there... swap the MAX232. Some more trouble shooting will need to be done for your issue I think.

#3015 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Based on the trouble shooting lucky1 did with me I'd say it isn't hardware related... in my case we were able to determine that the PIN2DMD was not receiving any serial data at all... he was a great help getting me up and going, I'd recommend reaching out to him. Other trouble shooting steps we took included connecting the serial cable from the MET to my PC to capture the stream of data coming from the MET, he was able to look at that stream to confirm that right data was being sent to the PIN2DMD. We then were able to put some debug code on the PIN2DMD to confirm that the serial data simply wasn't making it there and it was an easy fix from there... swap the MAX232. Some more trouble shooting will need to be done for your issue I think.

OK, thank you. Just curious - did you do this work on a Metallica with 1.80 code, or a different game?

#3016 5 years ago
Quoted from pekilica:

Quoted from newovad:

He is saying we have a hard time helping because many of us only speak English

Moderators, would one of you geolocate pekilica 's IP so maybe we can help him? https://www.iplocation.net/
ForceFlow

#3017 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Moderators, would one of you geolocate pekilica 's IP so maybe we can help him? https://www.iplocation.net/
forceflow

Sorry, we don't share private information on members.

Just based on his dozens of random posts, English does not appear to be his native language. I have previously attempted to communicate with him, but wasn't able to get anywhere.

#3018 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Sorry, we don't share private information on members.

I wasn't asking you to share his location, just offer a suggestion on what language(s) we might try. Sounds like you've already tried. Hope he gets it figured out.

#3019 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just based on his dozens of random posts, English does not appear to be his native language. I have previously attempted to communicate with him, but wasn't able to get anywhere.

But he said he was "From english"!

#3020 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Roar: Are you using a nucleo or the older STM? Do you use a shield from uncle sash or german gaming(or latest EVO board)? Are you running MET 1.8?. Thank you very much for the info. I built the setup that is running in dmiezko's MET using uncle sashs shield/nucleo board. I also build the previous one he was running successfully in his MET years ago.

#3021 5 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

OK, thank you. Just curious - did you do this work on a Metallica with 1.80 code, or a different game?

It is the MET 1.8 Code and it looks fine, don't see

Quoted from tjc02002:

Roar: Are you using a nucleo or the older STM? Do you use a shield from uncle sash or german gaming(or latest EVO board)? Are you running MET 1.8?. Thank you very much for the info. I built the setup that is running in dmiezko's MET using uncle sashs shield/nucleo board. I also build the previous one he was running successfully in his MET years ago.

Older STM board built by Unclesash back in 2017... bought from a local pinhead who bought a lot of them from Unclesash. I am running MET 1.8 code with it. It was a bad MAX232 that was the root of my problems.

#3022 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

It is the MET 1.8 Code and it looks fine, don't see

Older STM board built by Unclesash back in 2017... bought from a local pinhead who bought a lot of them from Unclesash. I am running MET 1.8 code with it. It was a bad MAX232 that was the root of my problems.

Thank you for that info! that is helpful. I have a feeling that there is either a problem with the nucleo pin2dmd programming(firmware) or the uncle sash shield design but I am leaning toward the programming because it somewhat works, just not perfectly. I feel that if the serial connection had a problem in the shield design, it would not work at all but it definitely works somewhat.

#3023 5 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

But he said he was "From english"!

But why we just do not do it easy?Someone who can open spike firmwares may to record iron maiden high score music and send there to i can listen.I'm beggining to think that license is requirement for spk.s with things what oga83 writed in FAQ,but language is surely not problem for spikes

#3024 5 years ago

I'll however keep trying to open spk firmwares,but all the same you record this and send there

#3025 5 years ago

Where's the video?

#3026 5 years ago

You don't recorded it,errr......

#3027 5 years ago

Ok, never mind. You do not must it because you wont it

#3028 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

That happens when Stern modifies the code and a sound-request is not used any longer.
Its slot is kept so that the following sound-requests keep the same position but it has no sound-script.
In this case, Pinball Browser does not display the empty sound-request in the list.
This is exactly what happens for Shrek sound-requests #411. I have not checked WOF but it should be the same.

Yes, i founded out that: other sound scripts are hidden in 'sound scripts', 'duration ^' and 'duration V', great, but why wof musics still doesn't appear?

#3029 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

The latest version is v6.60 (from last december)

But if you understanded, i asked for the versions before v6.60. So v6.60 is only version that left on download?

#3031 5 years ago

?

#3032 5 years ago

apologies if this is covered earlier in the thread.

I have a bunch of songs that i want to re-import into the new iron maiden code. The trick is that i did some final volume tweaks using pinball browser and i failed to save a macro.

What i'm thinking i can do is, export all the songs out of the old code and then re-import them into the new code. Will this work OK? (am i correct in assuming the volume levels will carry over? anything else that might catch me out?)

Thanks!

#3033 5 years ago

I can't export sounds or open spk firmwares, but i think it'll be ok. Just try it, and if you fail, just come asking for help and i'll try to tip you another tip. And what's the exporting sounds? I need a license to i can do that

Added over 5 years ago:

Even i do not know what's mean exporting sounds i think you will done

#3034 5 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

I've uploaded bookmarks for the music in IMDN Pro 1.04. These are the only scripts I update and haven't encountered any issues so far.
[quoted image]

You opened image file? What image?

#3035 5 years ago
Quoted from pekilica:

You opened image file? What image?

You make the image yourself of the SD card in your machine.

#3036 5 years ago

Ok thanks

#3037 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

any thoughts? Think license file will fix it? or maybe I'm doing something wrong with crossover + Mac?

[quoted image]

Something similar happened to me with space jam whitestar firmware. I think it cannot be fixed. Do you only get error for this one sound, or for all? And, how you doned to open spk firmware? Please tell me

#3038 5 years ago

Can’t connect via serial connection on my ACDC premium vault.

I patched and loaded the Stern 170 code. I am using a serial to usb cable that shows up in device manager is working. Using the Com5 port on my laptop with pinball browser I can’t communicate.
Any ideas?

#3039 5 years ago
Quoted from oppolo:

Can’t connect via serial connection on my ACDC premium vault.
I patched and loaded the Stern 170 code. I am using a serial to usb cable that shows up in device manager is working. Using the Com5 port on my laptop with pinball browser I can’t communicate.
Any ideas?

You using a cross-over cable or straight through?

#3040 5 years ago

I've tested the non-donation version and I'm still not sure if I can accomplish what I am looking for....

With pinballbrowser, would I for example, be able to automate/batch paste in an image file from 0x6A7 through 0x6BE to "censor" an animation?

#3041 5 years ago

It’s a usb to serial cable.

#3042 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

I've tested the non-donation version and I'm still not sure if I can accomplish what I am looking for....
With pinballbrowser, would I for example, be able to automate/batch paste in an image file from 0x6A7 through 0x6BE to "censor" an animation?

yes, you have the ability to import an image over a specific frame. your results may vary based on the original image that you're using with the best results coming from an image that has been resized to the same number of pixels (height and width) as the frame with a gray-scale of 16 colors (including black and white)

alternatively, you could just modify the existing images for that range to "censor" them and save that as a macro (if you can't get it all done in one sitting)
and then load the macro, run it, and re-save your .bin file to a usb flash drive and reflash your machine with the new .bin file

looking at frame 0x6A7 thru 0x6BE, what exactly are you attempting to censor?
ac-dc 0x6A7.jpgac-dc 0x6A7.jpg

#3043 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

what exactly are you attempting to censor?

That address was just an example. I want to get TWD in my home, but the DMD animations are a little too brutal for my 4yr old who enjoys flipping with me. Do you happen to have an example of a macro that specifies a frame range? I understand the syntax for one frame at a time ( EditImage,0x6A9{}) but not sure how to do it for a range.

#3044 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

That address was just an example. I want to get TWD in my home, but the DMD animations are a little too brutal for my 4yr old who enjoys flipping with me. Do you happen to have an example of a macro that specifies a frame range? I understand the syntax for one frame at a time ( EditImage,0x6A9{}) but not sure how to do it for a range.

just repeat it in the macro with the frame number and the image that you are replacing it with

ps
yeah, TWD is probably not a good choice of pins with a 4-year-old in the house. you're going to be editing just about everything out of the game animation-wise

1 week later
#3045 5 years ago

messing around a bit and designed a new splash logo screen for MET

MET sparky splash logo (LED) (resized).jpgMET sparky splash logo (LED) (resized).jpg

#3046 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

messing around a bit and designed a new splash logo screen for MET
[quoted image]

Looks pretty awesome! It fits in the 1.80 code too? I thought it was pretty packed?

#3047 5 years ago

I don't know, I haven't tried it. I was just bored and thought I'd knock out a new splash screen. I'll update my files on Monday and let you know if it fits

#3048 5 years ago

I've been using pinball browser for a a while now and have a question about the macro function. Can someone please verify for me if I have to manually group changes for the same item before running optimize? My ultimate goal is to recover as much free space as possible. I had initially thought optimize woukd do this for me.

#3049 5 years ago
Quoted from gameroompinball:

if I have to manually group changes for the same item before running optimize?

You don't have to do it manually : that's exactly what the "Optimize" function will do.
Once you macro has been optimized, run it on a stock firmware.
See the question 'What is "Memory Optimization" ?' in the FAQ

#3050 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

You don't have to do it manually : that's exactly what the "Optimize" function will do.
Once you macro has been optimized, run it on a stock firmware.
See the question 'What is "Memory Optimization" ?' in the FAQ

That is what I expected would happen, but when I run optimize I end up getting a message that says something like "nothing to optimize". I'll have to rerun tonight to confirm the exact wording. When I go thru and search specific images etc the lines still show up sometimes 3 or 4 times.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 5,560 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/61 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.