• 3,044 posts
  • 496 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 628 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 251 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ac-dc 0x6A7.jpg
Pinball Browser Not Showing BIN Files (resized).JPG
show hidden files (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
low pass (resized).jpg
original puppy (resized).png
GOT (resized).png
PBv660 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Error (resized).JPG
FJIMG_20181003_182533 (resized).jpg
15385256037278371713977979636364 (resized).jpg
15385255150454566123597227618658 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180927_084514260 (resized).jpg
Pinball Browser GoTG High Scores edit (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

24 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 3044 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 61.
#2751 11 months ago
Quoted from lurch:

Yeah this is a big downer for me too. Why cant we modify 20+ year old code yet?????

Quoted from Coyote:

Because, Assembly language.

I don´t think that that is the problem, but changing the sounds and burning a EPROM to test it is not something for the broad mass compared to
the flash upgrade of Stern machines. Replacing the sound board with a PinSound board or a DIY raspberry Pi based soundboard is a much better approach for "old" machine types.

#2752 11 months ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

Hi guys. Im using Pinball-Browser for the first time. At my Stern Mustang. Wich is probably the best game for doing it. Anyway I am having a hard time matching the volume of the new tracks. Whats the easiest way to match the volume. Without repeatedly updating the game code... I am sure this has been discussed somewhere hear in the past. But I dont want do go through 55 pages. Please help. THX

The volume levels of all the stock sounds in Sterns games are highly compressed. Using a program like Audacity process your samples with these setttings. The waveform should almost look like a brick. They have no dynamic range like a movie, it’s all full volume.

161644AC-4738-4FA0-8746-AD73BE822C98 (resized).jpeg

#2753 11 months ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I don´t think that that is the problem, but changing the sounds and burning a EPROM to test it is not something for the broad mass compared to
the flash upgrade of Stern machines. Replacing the sound board with a PinSound board or a DIY raspberry Pi based soundboard is a much better approach for "old" machine types.

Not.. really. Considering how the sounds are stored in the EPROMs and how display images are stored, the 'new' sound/image could take up more room than the existing one. And in some game ROMs, you have less than 128bytes free. On top of that, you would have to move everything after the image, which would change all the addresses of other images/sounds AFTER it, and have to update the code to point to all the new addresses of the sounds and images.

It's a hairy mess, all in all. Heaven forbid there's a bug that locks on a coil that you don't know about, and start a fire.

On the other hand, changing strings is pretty easy - as long as your replacement string is the same length.

#2754 11 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

That makes it more difficult, but not impossible.

#2755 11 months ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

Hi guys. Im using Pinball-Browser for the first time. At my Stern Mustang. Wich is probably the best game for doing it. Anyway I am having a hard time matching the volume of the new tracks. Whats the easiest way to match the volume. Without repeatedly updating the game code... I am sure this has been discussed somewhere hear in the past. But I dont want do go through 55 pages. Please help. THX

Quoted from cleland:

The volume levels of all the stock sounds in Sterns games are highly compressed. Using a program like Audacity process your samples with these setttings. The waveform should almost look like a brick. They have no dynamic range like a movie, it’s all full volume.

Like Cleland mentioned - the sounds are compressed. Make sure to "Normalize" then "Compress" the music/sounds before "importing" them into Pinbrowser. Use Audacity, GoldWave or other audio program to do this.

Underspin made a quick vid on how to do this.

#2756 11 months ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

That makes it more difficult, but not impossible.

You're right! Never said impossible.

#2757 11 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No, assembly language is not the problem (even if the adsp processor code is not easy to read).
DCS, which is a proprietary system, is the difficulty.
I've been reversing the code for a while but I'm still missing a lot of informations.

#2758 11 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

No, assembly language is not the problem (even if the adsp processor code is not easy to read).
I've been reversing the code for a while but I'm still missing a lot of informations.

Check this out. http://www.edcheung.com/album/album07/Pinball/wpc_sound.htm

Granted he is literally a rocket scientist... It can be done.

#2759 11 months ago
Quoted from lurch:

Check this out. http://www.edcheung.com/album/album07/Pinball/wpc_sound.htm
Granted he is literally a rocket scientist... It can be done.

I've already seen this before; this is impressive but the ADSP code has not been reversed (there is an ADSP processor on the board that runs the code).
AFAIK the DCS encoding system is still to be understood. Without this, it is not possible to modify the sounds in the roms.
Anyway, I agree : It can be done !

#2760 11 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

I was also dumbing it down, since not everyone is that technical.
But aside from that, unless you rewrite EVERYTHING, you would still need to compile it to fit the largest EPROM WPC could fit in.

Or, get into hardware, and write an SD adapter for the WPC MPU board, a memory mapper, and then you would be free on any size limits.

Now, then, unless you rewrote (or modified) the OS part, you would still need it to pass the checksum.

In summary, I never said it was impossible - just WHY it wasn't done.

#2761 11 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

just confirming that this doesn't work at all with Williams games (no good gofers) right? I need to change out that terrible main theme music and was only aware of pinsound as an option. Just confirming.

if it comes to just "change" sound(s) you may find in the pinsound board a solution ...
https://www.pinsound.org/

(but not a cheap one, expensive, but worth it's money - imo)

my 2ct

#2762 11 months ago

Hello everyone, quick question, I am trying to alter the sounds on my stern Batman 66 but when I go to press “save as” it doesn’t let me pick where I want it to go. Also, the files that I do get are not spike files and thus my game won’t accept them. It’s probably something simple but I have no clue as to why. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2763 11 months ago
Quoted from Ramzr1:

Hello everyone, quick question, I am trying to alter the sounds on my stern Batman 66 but when I go to press “save as” it doesn’t let me pick where I want it to go. Also, the files that I do get are not spike files and thus my game won’t accept them. It’s probably something simple but I have no clue as to why. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

AFAIK changes to Spike ROMs are directly written to the SD card image so the "save as" function would not make any sense. That is why you should always use a copy of your SD card for editing.

#2764 11 months ago

Thanks for the quick response. I have copied the files from the SD card per pinball supernovas instructions. but I can not get Pinball browser to open them. I have an IMGC File but I can not get Pinball browser to open them. Obviously I am doing something wrong. Once again, any guidance would be appriciated. Thanks in advance.

#2765 11 months ago

Is there a definitive answer on adding tracks to the new Star Wars premium? Seems like that topic went quiet

#2766 11 months ago

Help needed

Thanks

#2767 10 months ago
Quoted from Ramzr1:

I have copied the files from the SD card per pinball supernovas instructions. but I can not get Pinball browser to open them

This will not work and you need to make an image of your SD card.
You can do this by using the "Read image from..." in the drop down menu right next to the open button.
Please read "How do I open a Spike firmware" in the FAQ

#2768 10 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Is there a definitive answer on adding tracks to the new Star Wars premium? Seems like that topic went quiet

What do you mean ? I'm not aware of anything about this

#2769 10 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

What do you mean ? I'm not aware of anything about this

I feel like any discussion of changing Star Wars sounds ended at an earlier version of the code. I wondered if still worked on the latest code?

Also, I’m a pinball browser newb. If I update code, do I have to redo the music changes I make every time?

#2770 10 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Also, I’m a pinball browser newb. If I update code, do I have to redo the music changes I make every time?

of course. with each iteration of code, you're starting with a fresh slate

there are a few things to look for before applying patches including checking to see if any of the memory locations for graphics and/or sound have moved between revisions and adjust your changes in your script accordingly before applying them

#2771 10 months ago

My 6.40 version is puking on the .90 release of GOTG.

#2772 10 months ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

My 6.40 version is puking on the .90 release of GOTG.

Never mind.....my bad.

#2774 10 months ago

Hi, I'm trying to install a pin2dmd in my SMVE pinball. I unloaded the rom from the Stern page, applied the diff patch of sharkky with vpucolorROMpatch_v0.01.
I put the .bin file in a usb memory and try the update

At the end of the update, I get error code 7.

Can someone help me fix this?
thanks and regards

#2775 10 months ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

This isn't the case.
Ex: I replaced Blackened for The Unforgiven. The only track I replaced is REQUEST 1019 (aka 0x300 on the slide bar). This automatically replaced all of the The Unforgiven snippets.
It seems that MOST of the songs have 2 FULL LENGTH sound locations on the software (ex: The Unforgiven has REQUEST 1019 & REQUEST 1040). I don't know why they have 2 requests and 2 locations, but it seems if you replace 1 it over writes the second and all of the snippets.
Here is a list of the request locations (and lengths) I have found for each full song:
Battery: 308 & 330 5m09s956ms
Creeping Death: 394 & 427 6m34s629ms
Enter Sandman: 465 & 485 5m30s489ms
Fade to Black: 537 6m56s721ms
For Whom the Bell Tolls: 590 & 604 5m09s297ms
Fuel: 628, 639, & 642 4m29s131ms
Master of Puppets: 688 & 712 8m32s911ms
One: 756 7m24s715ms
Sad But True: 807 & 79 5m23s807ms
Seek and Destroy: 877 & 906 6m50s180ms
End of the Line: 954 & 979 7m51s403ms
The Unforgiven: 1019 & 1040 6m26s335ms
Also keep in mind that when I replaced Creeping Death (394) and The Unforgiven (1019) I replaced their first request / location. I don't know if it would make a difference if you replaced the first or one of the later requests, but I do know that replacing the first "complete" song automatically replaced all of the song parts that that I was replacing.
You will also notice when you look at the entire songs info under the scroll bar...it has more fragments than any of it's song snippets. I'm guessing all of the snippets get thir info from these complete song locations.

It seems that song locations for V1.70 have changed. Master of puppets is listed at 1012, but above it has it as 688. Has anyone remapped?

song loc (resized).jpg

#2776 10 months ago

For Metallica, Id like to change some songs on the jukebox, but not when that song plays due to entering a mode, such as "seek and destroy."

Is that possible?

#2777 10 months ago

I changed a song, saved the bin, but I cannot find it in the location I saved it. When I go to resave, in the save windows box it appears there, but not when i try to access it to put it on a thumb drive. Although I can see the origional bin from Stern?

Has anyone run into this?

#2778 10 months ago
Quoted from Petar2:

Hi, I'm trying to install a pin2dmd in my SMVE pinball. I unloaded the rom from the Stern page, applied the diff patch of sharkky with vpucolorROMpatch_v0.01.
I put the .bin file in a usb memory and try the update
At the end of the update, I get error code 7.
Can someone help me fix this?
thanks and regards

I was looking into pin2dmd with PB as well yesterday for a friends SMVE m. As far as I understand the European SMVE has a little more code (or less free memory) and it doesn’t fit anymore in the memory hence error 7.

Can only hope Oga finds a way to free up some memory which makes the patched code fit. Work in progress I hope so

#2779 10 months ago

I do not know how it looks like it has loaded it, it has never indicated which update it ends Ok, always error code7 ..... is it possible?

I have not yet been able to test it with the pin2dmd, I'm waiting for my pin2dmd v3 shield.

What I have done has been to verify that the pinball plays well, removing the crystal and completing all the modes. I do not know how it happened or if it will truly work once I connect the pin2dmd, but what I can assure is that the logo of the sharkky rom appears on my machine ......

#2780 10 months ago

That’s interesting. If the pin still plays well perhaps we are lucky. Are you seeing different shades of red? As coloring is different even in just the standard red you should see changes compared to the standard firmware.

Keep us informed pls when you have received the pin2dmd shield

#2781 10 months ago

wrong video .... I'm sorry, I've already corrected it. I was so excited that I did not pay attention to the shade of red ....

I'll check to see if there are changes of tonality.I await my shield anxiously, I ordered it on February 18. I want to think that it is just around the corner.

#2782 10 months ago

What do you think? I am no longer an objective ...... hahaha

3 weeks later
#2783 9 months ago

on the new Aerosmith code update 1.05, there are 3 files when I open it. A large "000 file" and a large "001" and a small "002 file"

What is the best way to edit music in the pin browser and then load it back in the game? Thanks

#2784 9 months ago
Quoted from BigBangBack:

on the new Aerosmith code update 1.05, there are 3 files when I open it. A large "000 file" and a large "001" and a small "002 file"
What is the best way to edit music in the pin browser and then load it back in the game? Thanks

I'll be following this. I know nothing about pin browser, but want to learn. Hope someone with some experience. And knowledge answers.

#2785 9 months ago

The best way is work on an image of your SD card rather than the 00x file(s) you downloaded. Read the FAQ for more details. It's a key post, linked at the top of every page of the thread.

#2786 9 months ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The best way is work on an image of your SD card rather than the 00x file(s) you downloaded. Read the FAQ for more details. It's a key post, linked at the top of every page of the thread.

So install 1.05 into the game, then work off the image that's created on the sd card?

#2787 9 months ago

Hi - just confirming that this works with Iron Maiden.....

#2788 9 months ago
Quoted from BigBangBack:

So install 1.05 into the game, then work off the image that's created on the sd card?

Install the latest code. Use PB to make a copy of the factory sd. Make your changes and copy that image on a new sd card. Use the new (modified) sd card in your pin. Always save the factory sd card as a backup.

#2789 9 months ago

Bump to confirm if this software works with Iron Maiden. Purchase depends upon it. Black Sabbath and others are interested to know

#2790 9 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

Bump to confirm if this software works with Iron Maiden. Purchase depends upon it. Black Sabbath and others are interested to know

You can find out by using the free version of the software..

#2791 9 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

You can find out by using the free version of the software..

I was about I don't own the game but you're right - I can download the code and try it myself. I already own the software. Hello you who! I'm good thanks

#2792 9 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

I was about I don't own the game but you're right - I can download the code and try it myself. I already own the software. Hello you who! I'm good thanks

Yeah, I believe you can get the FW off of Stern's site. Granted, you can't test the communication plugin, but you can at least tell is the firmware can be loaded up in.

#2793 9 months ago

I tried loading the IM code and it says FFMPEG .exe missing. Never saw that before. Reached out to creator to double check b.c this would be a game breaker for me.

#2794 9 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

I tried loading the IM code and it says FFMPEG .exe missing.

That's covered in the FAQ, did you install it when prompted?

#2795 9 months ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

That's covered in the FAQ, did you install it when prompted?

Really? Used it for so many years and never had this happen. When I say download it, the app crashes. I guess I can google and grab it.

#2796 9 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

Really? Used it for so many years and never had this happen. When I say download it, the app crashes. I guess I can google and grab it.

Then you probably never tried to open any of the newer code with the video in it (for the new LCD screens). FFMPEG is just a decoder to make it possible to read those video files.

#2797 9 months ago

Yes that's correct. Ok good to know. Anyone have a link to this file I need as I can't seem to find the exe from reputable site and the program crashes when trying to get it.

#2798 9 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yes that's correct. Ok good to know. Anyone have a link to this file I need as I can't seem to find the exe from reputable site and the program crashes when trying to get it.

Official releases are here: https://www.ffmpeg.org/

#2799 9 months ago

I've already received the v3 shield for pin2dmd and it does not work, I do not know if I'm doing something wrong or the firm is not well patched ... well, as I understand it, I would need Sharky's macros ... and these are not available, apart from the problem of memory size with the European rom ... is it known if there is any work in progress regarding this problem?

#2800 9 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Official releases are here: https://www.ffmpeg.org/

OK - all set. Works no issue. IM is next....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 25.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 38.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deland, FL
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Upper Freehold, NJ
$ 24.50
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
$ 24.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 219.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9,999.99
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3044 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 61.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside