• 3,118 posts
  • 504 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by pekilica
  • Topic is favorited by 640 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 258 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

giphy.gif
bandicam 2019-04-02 20-56-52-368 (resized).jpg
bandicam 2019-03-11 23-08-58-222 (resized).jpg
0x91D (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
0x91Da (resized).PNG
MET sparky splash logo (LED) (resized).jpg
ac-dc 0x6A7.jpg
Pinball Browser Not Showing BIN Files (resized).JPG
show hidden files (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
low pass (resized).jpg
original puppy (resized).png
GOT (resized).png
PBv660 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

24 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 3118 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 63.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I have also tested that multi-fragments sounds can also be replaced.
Some precisions :
- The sound track duration cannot be changed. If your file is too long, it will be cut; if it is too short, there will be no sound for the remaining time.

Is that something that can be fixed? Or is this just an inherit design with the ROM layout that cannot be changed?

For a game like Metallica, that uses segments of songs for some stuff, does it actually pull those segments from the entire song track, or does it duplicate just those segments? I have a feeling that for most songs in Metallica it will be very difficult (or impossible) to replace some tracks without it screwing stuff up.

I'm simply amazed at the progress you've been making since you started this. Incredible, and you deserve a round of applause (as well as a round or two of beer).

#202 5 years ago

I ripped the blu-ray for Avengers last night, starting to figure out what I am going to replace. Cannot wait to get some movie call-outs in there. I'll try importing a few audio clips in tonight and test it out Saturday.

Bye Bye Beast, hello X-men animated series Beast voice.

#203 5 years ago
Quoted from KillerKades:

Now we should be able to add back the "bum bum bum....Tron!" sound! I miss it!
Just need to figure it out.

That's actually the sound I was just looking for using the program, lol. I didn't find it but then again there's so many sound clips I wasn't even able to get through all of them.

I would love to add that on Start Button press

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Do you have to find a sound clip that is the exact same length? Can you replace shorter clips with longer ones?
EDIT: Answered above as I was typing. Too long, and it gets cut. Too short, and you get deadspace.

To make things easier, I have added the sound track duration in v1.61

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

That's actually the sound I was just looking for using the program, lol. I didn't find it but then again there's so many sound clips I wasn't even able to get through all of them.
I would love to add that on Start Button press

Found it! It is at 0x258

Now just how to integrate it.

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Is that something that can be fixed? Or is this just an inherit design with the ROM layout that cannot be changed?
For a game like Metallica, that uses segments of songs for some stuff, does it actually pull those segments from the entire song track, or does it duplicate just those segments? I have a feeling that for most songs in Metallica it will be very difficult (or impossible) to replace some tracks without it screwing stuff up.
I'm simply amazed at the progress you've been making since you started this. Incredible, and you deserve a round of applause (as well as a round or two of beer).

Thanks you !
For duration, I'm afraid it won't be possible : a sound script can have several actions between fragments (see explanation about scripts somewhere in this thread)... I can remove or add fragments, but I'm pretty sure there would be side effects... I guess that some actions are related to image/sound sync.
About segments, you are correct : the same fragment can be used in different sound scripts; however, I did not check yet whether it is the case or not.

#207 5 years ago

This is awesome Oga83. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

well-done.gif

#208 5 years ago

1.61 has nailed it with the sound.
Listening to Let there be Rock right now as I type this and the speed is perfect.
I could tell it was a bit off in 1.60.

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

I ripped the blu-ray for Avengers last night, starting to figure out what I am going to replace. Cannot wait to get some movie call-outs in there. I'll try importing a few audio clips in tonight and test it out Saturday.
Bye Bye Beast, hello X-men animated series Beast voice.

You and I are undertaking the same mission.

(Don't forget, in a pinch you can pull from the Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man movies).

My plan: Leave all the custom Hulk quotes. Replace ALL Captain America, Tony Stark and Black Widow quotes. The Nick Fury ones need to go, but they look tricky. (Not sure if you've examined the rom...they piece together his quotes from multiple spots).

Godspeed...

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

Has anyone found any Xmen deadpool related sounds or images hidden that have not been used yet? I haven't kept up with this whole thread. Good stuff, though.

No Deadpool stuff. Which is a bit scary since the Dark Phoenix animations have been in the code since 1.1 and still haven't been used.

Content wise it looks like very little stuff has been added to the X-Men code from 1.1 to 1.24. A cool Dazzler extra ball animation and a Kitty Pryde Super Skill shot animation...neither of which has been used yet.

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If I can use this to change the "evidence collected" sound on CSI, oga83 is my new hero!

I love that sound effect.

#212 5 years ago

Alright, how much I gotta pay someone to do the dots to make an X-rated Rosie? lol. I tried altering a frame, but let's just say that I am lacking in the artITstic department....

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

You and I are undertaking the same mission.

(Don't forget, in a pinch you can pull from the Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man movies).

My plan: Leave all the custom Hulk quotes. Replace ALL Captain America, Tony Stark and Black Widow quotes. The Nick Fury ones need to go, but they look tricky. (Not sure if you've examined the rom...they piece together his quotes from multiple spots).

Godspeed...

I think it's definitely going to take all of the movies to get some good quotes for Nick Fury. Just have to remember which pieces of Nick Fury in the game are talking about which character and then find some good interactions between say Hawkeye and Nick Fury and use those quotes (beginning of Avengers looks good).

For timing I might actually use my non-linear editing program so I can put waveforms side by side to get the timing less than or equal to the quote I am replacing.

Good luck to you as well

#214 5 years ago

Thanks Oga83 for continuing to update this awesome app.

Has anyone tried replacing any one of the 12 songs in ACDC yet?

#215 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hopefully that is just around the corner.
It would be cool if whoever does it first has the ability to share downloads so we don't all have to re-sample these things. Might be illegal with songs though, not sure what kind of gray area that is.
But it sounds rather simple if audacity is not too hard to use.

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I love that sound effect.

It's sound 0x4C in the CSI ROM. Sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me!

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It's sound 0x4C in the CSI ROM. Sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me!

That's the one. It always stood out as a sound effect that I really liked.

#218 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks Oga83 for continuing to update this awesome app.

If I were an AC/DC owner the first thing I would try would be to replace the live tracks on the attract mode jukebox to studio tracks that aren't used in the game. It would be a cool thing and unintuitive to the gameplay. FM = songs used in the game AM = other AC/DC hits that aren't in the game.

#219 5 years ago

Okay, I just burned my new CSI ROM with replaced sound, and it worked great.

oga83, YOU DA MAN!!!

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

That's the one. It always stood out as a sound effect that I really liked.

Aw man, now I feel bad for removing it!

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

oga83, YOU DA MAN!!!

So did you just pick another sound to use from the rom or something of your own?

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

I think it's definitely going to take all of the movies to get some good quotes for Nick Fury. Just have to remember which pieces of Nick Fury in the game are talking about which character and then find some good interactions between say Hawkeye and Nick Fury and use those quotes (beginning of Avengers looks good).

Well, the biggest problem with the Nick Fury quotes is going to be piecing them together.

If you've looked through the rom, he has three "segments" of quotes.

He'll say: "Hawkeye", "Black Widow", "Tony Stark", "Captain America"...etc.

Then, he's got another set where he'll say single words like: "Intelligence", "Agility", "Strength" etc.

Then he has another set where he adds: "Average", "Above-Average", or "Super Genius", or whatever.

The code obviously pieces these parts together, so he can say entire phrases...like"Hawkeye...Intelligence...Average!", or "Tony Stark...Intelligence...Super Genius", or "Black Widow...Strength...athletic!"

So, just taking random Samuel L Jackson quotes from the movie and jamming them in those spots could lead to some very bizarre pieced-together quotes. The trick will be to try to find things that can be mashed together without sounding like someone bumped into your DVD player while you were recording...

Most of the other quotes will be pretty straight forward. I'm making a map of the sounds now.

Pete

#223 5 years ago

Has anyone found the replay digital knocker sound? Surely we can make a better sounding fake knocker.

#224 5 years ago

I'm playing around with importing sounds and I'm getting a lot of noise. The wav sounds fine when I output from audacity and just listen to the wav in windows, but once I import and playback, lots of noise, to the point where it wouldn't sound very good. Any suggestions?

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

I'm playing around with importing sounds and I'm getting a lot of noise. The wav sounds fine when I output from audacity and just listen to the wav in windows, but once I import and playback, lots of noise, to the point where it wouldn't sound very good. Any suggestions?

0x15 on AC/DC and X-Men. I believe all of the universal system sound are at the beginning of each file.

#226 5 years ago

Avengers Sound Map:

Beginning: Generic Stern sounds.
0x1A - 0x31 : Hulk
0x32 - 0x72 : Captain America
0x73 - 0x94 : Hawkeye
0x95 - 0x113 : Hulk
0x114 - 0x190 : Loki
0x191 - 0x198 : Tesseract/Chitauri Voice
0x199 - 0x1CE : Thor
0x1D0 - 0x1E8 : Random Grunts
0x1E9 - 0x1EE : Hulk Jackpots
0x1EF - 0x1Fd : Tesseract/Chitauri Voice
0x1FE - 0x241 : Black Widow
0x242 - 0x28D : Tony Stark/Iron Man
0x28E - 0x30A : Nick Fury
0x30B - 0x328 : Tesseract/Chitauri Voice
0x329 - 0x33E : Announcer
0x33F - 0x34C : Thor
0x34D - 0x35C : Musical "hits", and Grunts.
0x35D - 0x37C : Black Widow
0x37D - ?? : Sound effects.
Musical tracks are at the very end. I stopped mapping.

Pete

#227 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

0x15 on AC/DC and X-Men. I believe all of the universal system sound are at the beginning of each file.

Not having a problem locating anything. I just looked what I wrote, let me explain better.

So in Avengers I am going straight to 0x2B7, where Nick Fury says "Clint Barton, Codename Hawkeye!". I have a WAV file ripped directly from the Blu-Ray and I try to import Sam Jackson saying "Agent Barton, Report". When I import the Sam Jackson quote, I get a bunch of noise.

I ruled out this being the wav file I ripped from the Blu-Ray. I actually exported the sound at 0x2B7 ("Clint Barton, Codename Hawkeye!") and simply re-imported the exact same sound. And then I load the patched firmware and play the 0x2B7 location and there is noise. So it looks like upon import of a WAV at 24000Hz, whether it's exported from the original firmware or something you provide from a movie rip, the import function is adding noise into the file you are trying to import.

Edit - Ah yes, this is a type 2 file, which oga83 said has not been tested yet, so hopefully this helps.

#228 5 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

Not having a problem locating anything. I just looked what I wrote, let me explain better.

I just quoted back to the wrong guy. I meant to reply to:

Quoted from caker137:

Has anyone found the replay digital knocker sound? Surely we can make a better sounding fake knocker.

with:

#229 5 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

So in Avengers I am going straight to 0x2B7, where Nick Fury says "Clint Barton, Codename Hawkeye!". I have a WAV file ripped directly from the Blu-Ray and I try to import Sam Jackson saying "Agent Barton, Report". When I import the Sam Jackson quote, I get a bunch of noise.
I ruled out this being the wav file I ripped from the Blu-Ray. I actually exported the sound at 0x2B7 ("Clint Barton, Codename Hawkeye!") and simply re-imported the exact same sound. And then I load the patched firmware and play the 0x2B7 location and there is noise. So it looks like upon import of a WAV at 24000Hz, whether it's exported from the original firmware or something you provide from a movie rip, the import function is adding noise into the file you are trying to import.

I'm with you there.

I exported a sound clip from X-Men and didn't alter it. It sounds fine in windows media player, but when I Import it into the program and save then reload it, it's staticy with a small pop at the end.

#230 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I exported a sound clip from X-Men and didn't alter it. It sounds fine in windows media player, but when I Import it into the program and save then reload it, it's staticy with a small pop at the end.

I just tested a Type 1 area in the firmware and yeah, same thing, with the pop at the end.

#231 5 years ago

FYI, the bum bum bum bum tron is at 0x258 on pro f/w

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

So did you just pick another sound to use from the rom or something of your own?

I'm trying to find what works best. I tried 14, but it's not quite right. Going to try 17 now. The challenge is finding a good sound that's about the same length (or shorter).

#233 5 years ago

Oh man. LMFAO at 0x27A-D aC/DC prem...

0x386 "Shoot the bitch!" Eh??? LOL

#234 5 years ago

Has anyone tried this with replacing the fake optimus voice with other movie clips on TF? Probly not since it is not a hot game right now.

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

oga83, YOU DA MAN!!!

Congrats !

#236 5 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

The code obviously pieces these parts together, so he can say entire phrases...like"Hawkeye...Intelligence...Average!", or "Tony Stark...Intelligence...Super Genius", or "Black Widow...Strength...athletic!"
[...]
I'm making a map of the sounds now.

I'll add a list of 'sound requests' soon. A 'sound request' is a kind of group of 'sound scripts' (ie sounds) related to the same action.
I'll also try to add a fragment cross-ref table that will show in which 'sound script' a 'sound fragment' is used.

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

So it looks like upon import of a WAV at 24000Hz, whether it's exported from the original firmware or something you provide from a movie rip, the import function is adding noise into the file you are trying to import.
Edit - Ah yes, this is a type 2 file, which oga83 said has not been tested yet, so hopefully this helps.

I noticed that also. I don't know yet whether it's normal or not. I would rather say there is still a bug in my encoding functions...
However, a little noise seems normal to me :
- Type1 sounds are Adpcm encoded. For those who are not familiar with it, it is a sound compressing algorithm that is mainly used in telephony. The compression ratio is a fixed 1:4 (a 16-bit WAV sample is compressed to a 4-bit sample). Although it is very efficient, there is a loss of quality; so, if you extract and reinject the same sound, you will double the loss...
- Type2 sounds are compressed with a custom Adpcm-based algorithm. The compression ratio is 1:8 (fixed) ! ...with, of course, additional loss. I found how to decode it, but I did not figure out how to encode it until now.
I'll check my encoding functions again to see if I can improve the noise.

#238 5 years ago

Feel free to make your suggestions for the next version !

What I have already planned :
- cross-check reference for sound fragments (to see if they are used in several sound scripts)
- list of sound requests (to see which are the sounds related to the same action)
- crc adjustment (to remove the error at the end of the upgrade process)

#239 5 years ago

oga83 (or anyone else for that matter) I was wondering if you knew what is the best way to describe these DMD image requirements to make them look as good as standard?

What I mean is this: If I were to ask my friend that is a graphic designer that I would want him to make me a custom logo to replace the Stern logo. I'm guessing I would say it was best if made as a 128 x 73 png file, but how would I describe the color limitations? How many colors do these DMD images have? Is there a particular name that describes this color scale that they use for DMD images?

If I were just touching up an image I would user other colors from the same image using a color picker in the art program, but if someone were making an image from scratch...it would be nice to be able to better describe the color limitations to them.

Any help on this question is appreciated.

As for program suggestions...it looks like you have some good things coming. Understanding what sound clips are used in the same situation should really be helpful in customizing firmwares.

I really hope you can get the sound re-importing cleaned up. I don't notice any loss in quality when exporting them (but the loss in quality may be there), but it is very noticeable when putting an exported sound clip back in a firmware. I am guessing that if I did do any customization...most of it would probably be pulling sounds from one place in the firmware and putting it in another or possibly exporting it from one game to put in another.

Thanks again! I can't say I've ever seen a program grow and evolve as quickly as your project has.

#240 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I was wondering if you knew what is the best way to describe these DMD image requirements to make them look as good as standard?

By order of importance :
1- Keep the original image size (otherwise, the app will resize it)
2- Do not use a lossy compression format : prefer PNG or BMP.
3- Use a gray scale image (the app will convert the image to 4-bit gray scale)

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I can't say I've ever seen a program grow and evolve as quickly as your project has.

You're not kidding! I've been busy with other stuff lately, and I just got around to reading this thread yesterday. It's amazing.

#242 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

3- Use a gray scale image (the app will convert the image to 4-bit gray scale)

I think this is mainly what I was looking for.

#243 5 years ago

I think later tonight I may flash my first custom firmware. I changed a couple of sound effects in the settings menu and I also have a pic made up to replace the scrolling Stern screen. I'm anxious to see how it looks on the DMD. Here is the pix in the browser:

Female_X-Men.jpg

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I think later tonight I may flash my first custom firmware. I changed a couple of sound effects in the settings menu and I also have a pic made up to replace the scrolling Stern screen. I'm anxious to see how it looks on the DMD. Here is the pix in the browser:

Great! Can't wait to see some video of custom dots running on a Stern

#245 5 years ago

v1.62 can be downloaded (nothing has changed on the sounds in this one...)

I have changed the way the patches are applied : you can now load a firmware, do all your imports (sound, images), and then save your modified firmware. It now work like a standard File/Open/Save software, and it's much more easier to use...

I have added a combo box for the image and sound names : you can use the combo to directly access an item. You can also add or modify a name : type the name and press Enter.
The names are stored in a file "xxx.dat" where 'xxx' is the firmware filename (ACD165LE.DAT for example). We can share the content of this file on the forum (It can be edited with notepad)
The format is very basic :
[ImageNames]
0x630=Jukebox
0x5A6=AC/DC animation
0x5A5=Stern Logo
[SoundNames]
0x9=Ting
0xC=Explosion 1
0x12=Small deceleration
0x13=Deceleration
0x14=Buzzer
0x196=TNT
0x19B=Whole Lotta Rosie - Intro
0x19C=Whole Lotta Rosie

#246 5 years ago

I did my first custom firmware flash and ended up with about what I expected.

The picture I imported over the Stern logo just wasn't designed for a DMD. I had it pre-sized to the correct size, in a png image format and already in grayscale. The picture itself just has way too many colors to be effective...and though it looks OK in the browser program (not great...see above 2 post) it doesn't look good on the games DMD. Phoenix shows up best because she has more of a light / dark contrast than the other 3.

The menu icon I changed come out rather well and you can't tell it isn't factory.

I also replaced a sound effect in the setting menu. In the browser it was of noticeably lower audio quality after the re-import into the firmware. In the game it sounded fine, but I really should have tried a custom sound somewhere else in the game. X-Men has always had an issue with the settings menu sounds being very quiet compared to the rest of the game (just let those bugs ride Stern...it's only been almost a year). So I really don't know if my re-imported custom sound really sounds OK...or it just sounds OK because it is so quiet.

I did get the update error after the update (as expected) but the game kept all of my settings and scores and did not overwrite them. That leads me to a question...

oga83, if you were to make the program so the game update did not get the error at the end, would the game go completely through the post flash reboot and possibly then it would reset all of the scores and settings? If that would be the case....I would rather have the error and save my scores and setting. Or at least have an option in your program if you wanted to deal with the error and save setting or have a complete error free update and reset all of the settings and scores.

I know I updated X-Men 1.24 over X-Men 1.24 before because it had some strange game behavior...and that reset everything (scores, settings, strange behavior).

// Error: Image 105060 not found // // Error: Image 105061 not found //

#247 5 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Surely we can make a better sounding fake knocker.

I don't like the look or the sound of fake knockers.

#248 5 years ago

I have tried all of the current SAM game codes with the program. If a Pro and LE / Premium was available I just tried the LE / Premium code. I found a few that I couldn't get to load:

Family Guy
Pirates of the Caribbean
Wheel of Fortune
World Poker Tour
Kooky Carnival Redemption (not a pin but I thought it would be fun to poke around in it)

Shrek I could get to load, but it didn't have any game specific DMD images showing, just general menu icons and fonts.

Family_Guy_Error.jpg

#249 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I don't like the look or the sound of fake knockers.

He's gonna be here all night folks, don't forget to tip your waitresses.

#250 5 years ago

Great work dug. I suspect the images would look better if there was some removal of the background of each female image. The places you want dark on the dmd, use the eraser tool and it may look better? Who knows? But i'm going to be having a LOT of fun with this program.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 72.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
North Port, FL
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 25.50
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Warrenton, VA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
4,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 26.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3118 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 63.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside