1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oga83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

938 posts in this topic match your search for posts by oga83. You are on page 4 of 4.
#4252 3 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

oga, tried working with Deadpool LE 1.05 firmware and getting this error[quoted image]

You have probably ignored the warning message when you opened that file saying that .spk files are now deprecated in Pinball Browser

#4259 3 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

with DP 1.04, the longest tracks (the music tracks) are missing :[quoted image]

Thanks, this has been fixed in v7.61
These sound scripts were not displayed because they are not part of a sound request.
You have to change the sort order to see them (as you did).

v7.61 (resized).pngv7.61 (resized).png

1 week later
#4272 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

If it's not deliberated, this new version should be able to open future firmwares.
Stern makes great products and I can't imagine they have time to waste on blocking Pinball Browser.

Quoted from Peanuts:

The sounds tab is also missing with Stranger Things LE 1.00 game code

Now, you have the answer !
The issue is in PB this time.

#4277 3 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

No sounds tab with Avengers Infinity Quest LE game code an PB 7.61

Fixed in Pinball Browser v7.62
I can't check the other games today (my internet is broken).
Let me know whether you can open them with this version.

#4284 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Also ffmpeg seems to only run well with one version open

You can use several instances at the same time, however, when you hit "Play", the video that will be displayed is the last one that was converted (in any instance).
Unfortunately, this is not a quick fix.
As a workaround, you can move to the next video, back to the previous one, and click on "Play".
This is just a display issue. There is no risk of corrupting a firmware with this.

Quoted from Peanuts:

If you open an sd card image, let's say Elvira House of Horrors 1.01 with Pinball Browser
Then you click on the video tab for processing all the videos
Then, without closing Pinball Browser, you load another sd card image, let's say Deadpool LE 1.05
Then you click on the video tab (processing doesn't seem to be triggered this time)
The video of Elvira House of Horrors are still there (the content of the others tabs seems correct):

As a workaround, you could have used the "Search and bookmark videos from Scenes" in the dropdown menu (no need to restart Pinball Browser).
Fixed in Pinball Browser v7.63

Quoted from Peanuts:

The only game code that still doesn't have the Sounds tab with the version 7.62 is Deadpool Pro 1.05

Fixed in Pinball Browser v7.63

#4291 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

+1, please consider making PB Mac friendly. Not sure why some software continues to be only windows centric, when Apple is the biggest computer company in the world and used by more and more people.

The main issue is that I don't have a mac and I've never developped anything on that platform.

Quoted from Coyote:

As a devleoper, I know for a fact it's a LOT more than "just port a UI".

Agreed !

#4300 3 years ago

Ashram56
Yes, macros need to be updated when a new version is released.
The ShiftId macro is probably what you are looking for. See here and here.
You can use the "compare firmware" function. It can help generating the ShiftId macros. See here and here.
You are probably experiencing memory issues because the macros you are trying to use were not designed for this firmware. The available memory is very game/version/firmware dependant.

#4304 3 years ago
Quoted from nateluke85:

is the download link dead for anyone else?

The link does not seem broken to me : https://tiny.cc/pinballbrowser7
Is anyone else having problems ?

This down-detector only checks domains, not specific URLs.
For example, it will report that https://tiny.cc/pinside is up, even if this URL does not exist.

#4319 3 years ago
Quoted from Pixel8Arcade:

Help!
I paid to use Pinbrowser a while back and didn’t do much with it. Today I actually cropped some music and went to import and it told me to click on License and when I do and try to Register it says No License Found!

1- First of all, make sure you are using the version that corresponds to your license.
2- Otherwise, if you replaced your computer, PM me the token id from the License dialog box and I'll fix it for you.

#4323 3 years ago

Pixel8Arcade Please try again. That should be fixed.

1 week later
#4330 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

He literally posted 3 posts above yours - oga83

I think he was asking about the developer of the ST colorization macros (Sharkky in the macro name).

Quoted from Ashram56:

Good morning,
I've been trying to use Pinball Browser to run colorization macros on a Star Trek ROM, and it's driving me crazy: even using the stock ROM for which the macro has been designed for (1.61), so no deviation from the original ROM used by the owner of the colorization, I get loads of "out of memory" error, to the point where I can't even finish the macros operation since I literally have hundreds of them, and I have to click on "Continue" every single time.

Have you tried the "Extend Memory" function (Sam tab) ?

1 week later
#4358 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyArcade:

I'm trying to run a Macro from J_M_. on Metallica. I keep getting a pop-up box asking
"It is very unusual to define a palette for a non full-dmd frame...Continue anyway?" with Yes/No response.
I can get through a few hundred times of clicking this box...but I end up accidentally clicking on the 'Cancel' button or smashing my laptop.
It's a near impossible task...
Is there a way to avoid this message box? Or answer once and it remembers the answer? Or a way around?

Unfortunately, there is no workaround.
This message has been here for a very long time (v4.36).
I'll modify this behaviour in the next version.

#4360 3 years ago
Quoted from Elganzo:

I'm using Pinball browser 7.63 and the deadpool pro 1.05 version won't load. There is always the error: Unknow firmware !
Any idea's ?

I've just checked and it works. Are you trying to load a .spk file ?
pb (resized).pngpb (resized).png

#4362 3 years ago
Quoted from Elganzo:

Yes like i always did, I download the version directly from sterns website, with pinball browser i browse to the download map and open it., I get the green loading bar and then after few min it gives me a error.

You might want to use an image of the SD card instead. You'll find it here.
Spk file do not always contain what's required by Pinball Browser.
More information on this in the FAQ.

Quoted from thewool:

Anyone managed to open the latest IM code?
It looks like Stern may have increased their protection as it crashes v6, and then no sounds load in v7.

I don't think they did.
Depending on what has been added or modified, Pinball Browser cannot always open new firmwares.
But the current version of Pinball Browser (7.63) is already able to open IM 1.08 Pro (but not LE) :

#4363 3 years ago

Pinball Browser v7.70 is available !
santa (resized).pngsanta (resized).png

#4375 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

good news is that I was able to inject everything into the new TMNT code.
Bad news is that my custom music is all "tiney" sounding - like the treble is missing. Anything left stock sounds perfectly fine. Never had this happen before - same music used in previous custom.
Any thoughts on correcting this?

Can you give me the ids of a same sound script in both firmwares so that I can compare them ? (for a sound that has the problem. And also which firmware files you are using)
It's possible that the sound script attenuation has changed in the new firmware.

#4379 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

based on testing, it appears stern has put some check in to determine if a song was replaced and if so, the sound file that was injected is made to sound terrible.

It's more likely a wrong encoding in Pinball Browser

1 week later
#4394 3 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Was it ever concluded that there was an error with the encoding / sound volumes? Some people mentioned the latest version resulted in really low volumes on all replaced sounds.

I've got mixed information about this.
You can try on your game with the free version for sounds that are shorter than 10s.

2 weeks later
#4418 3 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

When you increase the volume by 10%, then test it out on the machine and decide to move the volume up again. If you adjust the volume up a second time by 10% does it:
- increase the overall volume by 121%: 100 x 10% = 110, then 110 x 10% = 121 or
- just remain at 110, basically overwriting the first 10% increase?

By 121%.
Internally, Pinball Browser exports the sounds, increases the volume by 110% (over the one that was already imported at 110%) and imports it again.
But it's not a good idea to process like this because there is a loss of quality.
Instead, import the original sound again at 121%.

#4430 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

The PB developer needs to 'find' the new locations for all of them each time a new version of code is released.

This is not how Pinball Browser works.
That would require too much work when a new firmware is released.
PB doesn't embed any information specific to a game.
This is why, sometimes, it can open open new firmwares (but this became less frequent recently !).

Quoted from lockeness:

So what happens, say in AIQ 0.98 where the sound isn’t yet available and you swap out video and burn an image? Is all the original audio still there?

Yes. When a tab is missing, the other functions are not impacted. It simply means that PB was not able to find the corresponding objects and, thus, will not modify them.

#4431 3 years ago

In fact, that was already fixed in the version I made for Stranger Things 1.02
Pinball Browser v7.71 is here.

#4434 3 years ago
Quoted from lockeness:

QQ - is there a way to transfer bookmarks from one firmware to the other? I assume not. In viewing AIQ .95 vs .98 sounds have changed ID's and even time length, but before I go re-indexing some of the sounds, I thought I would ask.

The ShiftId/TranslateId macros are probably what you are looking for. See here and here.
You can also use the "compare firmware" function. It can help generating the ShiftId macros. See here and here.

#4436 3 years ago
Quoted from allknowing2012:

Exporting a rendered scene loses its transparency. Working with Aersosmith .. the export is done in mp4 and from what I read that cannot have transparency. Is it "just" a matter of having it export to say .avi and then the rendered video would have a transparent background. Scene 99 for example. (v 7.71 Rom 1.07)

This is on purpose.
The scene rendering function is just here to provide a preview.
Having a transparent background yields an awfull result for that purpose (I tried !).

#4442 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

oga83, pin2dmd has been updated to natively support colorization for Stern SAM using the pal/fsq file method, which as far as I understand has no limitation with regards to rom size, and does not require patching the Rom.
It would therefore be very helpful if PB included an option to export all DMD frames so that could be imported into pin2dmd editor and used as is.

Unfortunately, I can't do that.
I don't know how the pal/fsq method you mention works but, altenatively, Pinball Browser could export a list of frame hashes.

2 weeks later
#4449 3 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

LZ 0.95 can't be opened with PB 7.71:
And the sounds tab is missing with AIQ 0.99:

I'm waiting for more firmwares to be released.
It's easier to train the algorithm on several firmwares.

3 weeks later
#4459 3 years ago

It works in France with Firefox, Chrome and Edge

3 weeks later
#4473 3 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I'm waiting for more firmwares to be released.
It's easier to train the algorithm on several firmwares.

Sorry for keeping you waiting so long !
New firmwares have just been released, and I was able to train my algorithm on them.

So, here is Pinball Browser v7.80 !
It should work with all existing Spike firmwares

It is possible that a few sounds will not be played correctly.
It appears that there are now a bunch of different sound codecs.
Technically, Pinball Browser don't really need them but it makes it harder to locate each sound, and sometimes, it fails.
I'm not sure about the reason for this, and the help I was receiving from an insider is no longer available.
I will continue to work on this.

I also have added a file explorer that let you see/export/import all the files on the SD card :

#4481 3 years ago

It seems that tiny.cc is down
Pinball Browser v7.80 can also be download here

#4492 3 years ago

Pinball Browser was not starting at all on some systems

#4496 3 years ago
Quoted from ajnielson:

I am trying to get the file saved to the New SD card

You can use Pinball Browser (SmartDmd tab / Write to SD) or Win32diskimager.
See "How do I open a Spike firmware ?" (option #1) in the FAQ

#4503 2 years ago
Quoted from monkeybug:

Here is my example. In the treeview, it stops at the newline. When expanded, it runs it all together.[quoted image]

PB doesn't display the newlines for these text items (but the scene is correctly rendered).
I'll fix it in the next version.

3 months later
#4567 2 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Dear Oga,
Do you have some WIP status to share with us about the support of the newest game codes (Mandalorian 0.91-0.96-0.97, Led Zeppelin 1.04-1.05, Guardians of the Galaxy 1.08)?

Not yet, sorry. I'll post some information as soon as I know.

Quoted from Ashram56:

it did work on older revision

I am not aware of any regression on this.
Did you select the correct side-channel method (SmartDmd tab / Store colors) and use the Extend Memory function (Sam tab) ?

1 month later
#4599 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I purchased a version of the Pinball Browser about a year ago. Used it to change one song on AC/DC. I was trying to download a newer version of PW and it is asking for a donation again. Won't seem to let me download it without a payment. Do you have to pay again if you want to use a newer version? Thanks for the help.

As long as you have the same major version number (v7.x), you don't have to.
Send me your new token id and I'll fix it for you.
Copy/paste it from the license dialog box (as text, not as an image).

1 month later
#4641 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Anyone able to successfully replace the Stern logo on start up? Found the PNG files in Scenes, replaced them but doesn’t seem to work in game play. Thanks.

The startup logo is here :
ExplorerExplorer
To replace it, right-click on the "spike" folder and choose "Import...".
Of course, use the same name.

#4643 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Think that is the issue, I changed the name. All the other files I changed accepted a different file name. I guess some need to be the same. Any general rule for file naming protocol? Thanks for your help.

When you import a file into an object (sound, image, video, ...) the name of the source is not significant.
However, any file that you replace directly in the file system must have the same name; the only example I can think of is the startup logo.

2 weeks later
#4678 2 years ago
Quoted from berg0319:

Is it still possible to use Pinball Browser with a null modem cable to communicate directly to a Spike system?

This is only possible with SAM games.
But it will be available for Spike games in the future.
CommPatch (resized).pngCommPatch (resized).png

#4679 2 years ago

Pinball Browser v8 is available !

It is now compatible with all the latest Spike2 firmwares (and almost all of the older versions) :
Aerosmith v1.09.0
Avengers: Infinity Quest v1.03.0
Batman ’66 v1.05.0
Black Knight: Sword of Rage v1.11.0
Deadpool v1.06.0
Elvira’s House of Horrors v1.03.0
Game of Thrones v1.37.0
Ghostbusters v1.17.0
Godzilla v0.81.0
Guardians of the Galaxy v1.08.0
Iron Maiden v1.10.0
Jurassic Park v1.05.0
Kiss v1.41.0
Led Zeppelin v1.10.0
Pabst Can Crusher v1.02.0
Primus v1.03.0
Star Wars v1.10.0
Stranger Things v1.02.0
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles v1.50.0
The Beatles v1.15.0
The Mandalorian v1.00.0
The Munsters v1.03.0
WWE v1.35.0
Whoa Nellie v1.55.0

Some functions have been added or improved and a lot of issues have also been fixed.

Adding all these firmwares required a lot of work. This is the reason why it took so long.
Needless to say, Stern didn't help, so I can't guarantee that Pinball Browser will be able to open their future firmwares !

Going forward, v8 is available as a 1-year subscription.
If you want to keep using Pinball Browser v7, you can do it forever.
If your license is less than 1 year old, a free 1-year subscription to v8 has been added for you (from the date of your existing license).

#4685 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

For the new 1.10 files, when you unzip the file from the Stern site it comes up as three separate files. Under the old system, it was one single file. Which file(s) do you load into PB v8? Thanks for the assistance.[quoted image]

This is the .spk file.
You need an SD card image.
Download it from Stern's website here : https://f002.backblazeb2.com/file/gamecode/led_zeppelin_le-1_10_0.Release.8G.sdcard.raw.zip

#4687 2 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I’m on a Mac and have always used Crossover to run Pinball Browser just fine. With ver 8.0 im getting a no internet connection error when launching PB. oga83 did you change something with that in the update?

A lot of things have changed in the code so it's difficult to say what's going on with Pinball Browser running with Crossover.
The internet connection is required to register Pinball Browser. Once it's done, it is no longer necessary.
Is the connection available with Crossover ?

#4689 2 years ago

v8.01 fixes a problem that could occur when importing a sound.
Thanks to timlah79 for providing detailed informations about this !
[EDIT]
v8.03 fixes the same problem for stereo sounds.

#4691 2 years ago
Quoted from gameroompinball:

How can I open a spk file with 8.0? Say I want to change sounds in Pabst Can Crusher? I have the stern code but it doesn't open.

You can't.
Download an SD card image from Stern's website here :
https://f002.backblazeb2.com/file/gamecode/can_crusher-1_01_0.iso.zip

#4693 2 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

v8.01 fixes a problem that could occur when importing a sound.
Thanks to timlah79 for providing detailed informations about this !
[EDIT]
v8.03 fixes the same problem for stereo sounds.

#4699 2 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

So, it looks like with GOTG 1.08 all of the Sound Request numbers are the same, but the Script values have changed.
How do I do the ""Shift Function"?
Example:
Request 417 was "0x39C" and is now "0x4CC"

TranslateId,1,0x39c,0x4cc
You can use the "Compare Firmware" (Spike tab).
This function will generate a macro like the one above for each sound that needs it.

#4702 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Good morning, will the new LZ 1.12 work with PB 8.3? 8.3 seems to keep crashing and when I try to open either 1.10 or 1.12 it just hangs with "Processing...(Not Responding)" message. Thanks again.

I confirm that PB v8 can open LZ 1.10 and 1.12.
The first time you open a firmware, it can take a long time.
It depends on your PC.
It's usually much faster the 2nd time.

#4706 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Has anyone had any luck changing out the text for the song names in Led Zeppelin? See below image as an example. They seem to be controlled by Request #5 but I had no luck when I updated the Song name text. Was able to change out two songs and like to be able to get the text to change as well.
Maybe even the announcement of the song name. Thanks for the help! [quoted image]

The song names can be stored as images in scenes.
You'll have to find the corresponding scene.
You can use the "Render all scenes" function and then explore all the video files that have been generated.

#4715 2 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Some adjustments are hidden in Spike 2 machines and are not visible/accessible. Pinball Browser reveals them in the adjustments tab. It would be great, in the adjustments tab, for each adjustment, to display its status (hidden: true/false).

Can you please provide an example ? (game, LE or PRO, firmware version and adjustment id)

#4721 2 years ago
Quoted from usul27:

I'm having problems getting the AC/DC patch working with the latest pinballbrowser 8
LoadHex,"comm116.hex"
Where do I get the comm116.hex file?

This is an outdated version.
Just replace your macro with :
LoadHex,"pb:/Sam/comm.hex"
It will download the communication patch that matches your PB version.

#4722 2 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Dear Oga,
Sorry for the delay.
Here is an illustration. I made it with a Mando LE (SD Card image) Game Code 1.01.
the ajustment in green (0xA1) in present in the settings of a Mandalorian LE. The red one (0xA7) is hidden in the settings of the pinball machine.[quoted image]

Thanks !

#4725 2 years ago
Quoted from usul27:

Ok, next thing that I can't get to work is
Entry,3,0x4110000,24321
What's wrong with this one?

It depends on what you are trying to do and with which firmware version.
What happens ? error message ? crash ? side-channel not working ?

#4728 2 years ago
Quoted from Magui76:

Hello everyone! Trying to use PB 8.03 for first time, but I stucked since AIQ Premium 1.03 do not load...I have already tried several times, downloading SD CARD images from the path "download from Stern" but all message than poped up is the same : Unknown Firmware!
Anyone is facing the same? Anything to open properly?
Tks for support!!!

Pinball Browser v8.03 is compatible with AIQ 1.03 LE and PRO.
Did you unzip the file you downloaded ?

#4735 2 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

Hello Oga83,
i have a problem with the TMNT 1.50 pro image. When i get a vanilla image and try to play sound 0x166 it is garbled.
The same sound in the LE (length 4s070ms) 0x2D just plays fine.
can you help me if i am doing something wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong.
You are just experiencing the issue I mentionned here :

Quoted from oga83:

It is possible that a few sounds will not be played correctly.
It appears that there are now a bunch of different sound codecs.
Technically, Pinball Browser don't really need them but it makes it harder to locate each sound, and sometimes, it fails.
I'm not sure about the reason for this, and the help I was receiving from an insider is no longer available.
I will continue to work on this.

I have reduced the number of issues with codecs in the latest version but, unfortunately, some of them are still here.
I'll try to fix it in the next version.

2 weeks later
#4768 2 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

ok, I might be stupid, but I'm not finding where to dl the soft?

http://download.pinballbrowser.com

#4778 2 years ago
Quoted from Crispy77:

I am a new user and having the same problem.

I'm sorry about that.
It's not exactly the same problem because you already have a v8 license but it won't register correctly.
Most often, this happens when Pinball Browser is started from a readonly directory (or from the .zip file), or is used on a Windows XP system.
Pinball Browser needs write permissions to the Pinball-Browser.xml file.

#4780 2 years ago
Quoted from monkeybug:

Same problem for me. It just goes into a loop asking to register everytime I start.

If your Pinball Browser v7 license is older than 1 year, it won't work with v8.
More information here
Otherwise, PM me your token id and I'll check what's going on.

#4782 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Do you expect the Rush code will work with PB when released or will we need to wait for an update?

Unfortunately, I doubt is as the most recent firmwares for Munsters and Mando don't work with PB.

1 week later
#4794 2 years ago
Quoted from HiRez00:

I cannot for the life of me be able to get the latest Whoa Nellie .spk file to open in the latest Pinball Browser.

Pinball Browser can't open .spk file anymore since v7.x
See the here and here for more information.

1 week later
#4805 2 years ago
Quoted from Furtys:

Hi !
I'm working on changing the sounds of my pinball machine, and I am also looking to change the startup image of the game.
I found a GameLogo.png file at /dev/sda2/gamename/assets/lcd/, I tried to replace it but it shows a black screen instead of the game logo. And if I replace my new file with the original file still black screen.
Has anyone ever managed to do this?
Thanks

Regarding the game logo, I'm not sure
Direct file modification on the SD card has already been used for the startup logo (here).
All the other assets are generally embedded into scenes, and, in this case, you'll have to find the corresponding scene and use the import function in Pinball Browser.

#4808 2 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Any update on this registration looping issue? It doing it for me as well. Thanks!

Apparently, something has changed on your PC. I have updated your token id and it should work now.

#4810 2 years ago
Quoted from Furtys:

So sad... I checked all the scenes and none of them manage the logo of the game which is displayed just after Stern's one.
So I think we can't, but why, I don't know... Even overwriting it with the same file (export + import the exported file) results in a black screen, strange ...

Try to replace the startup logo first, as we know it's possible. If it doesn't work, you'll know something is wrong with your file.

#4817 2 years ago
Quoted from Torre:

I have a real basic question. How do I get the game code off of the SD card from the machine?

Make an image file from your game SD card.
To do that, use the tool provided by Pinball Browser (SmartDmd tab) or any SD card imager program.
You'll be able to read/modify this image file with Pinball Browser, and flash a new SD card.

#4820 2 years ago
Quoted from Torre:

Thanks but doing that doesn't find any available files. The two files on the card show up as stern-spike2.dtb and zImage but they do not show up when using the software. I also use balena-etcher but I have not seen an option to read a flashed file unless I'm missing something.
Mark

You have to make an image of your sd card.
See here or use the tool I mentionned :
SD-Imager (resized).pngSD-Imager (resized).png
Select the SD card drive, enter a destination filename on your HDD and click on "Read from SD"
[EDIT] There is also an option to do that at the end of the Pinball Browser dropdown menu (firmware section).

#4824 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Question to oga83 : is there any frequency filtering or dynamic compression when importing a WAV file inside the ROM of a Spike2 game (specifically Star Wars) ?

There is no special filtering in Pinball Browser unless you enable the low-pass filter when you import a sound.
LowPassFilter (resized).pngLowPassFilter (resized).png
However, transcoding a sound to a different codec always implies some kind of filtering.
You'll get the best result when you import a sound that has a sampling frequency that is a multiple of the game's one
SamplingFreq (resized).pngSamplingFreq (resized).png

#4825 2 years ago
Quoted from Torre:

This does not work on mine. I get "no items match your search". It shows me nothing on my SD Card. It is only searching for img iso and raw files and none of those are the extensions on the SD card. Only files on the card are a dtb file and a zimage file with no extension.

The image is made from the device, not from a file on the SD card.
It means that you don't have to select a file on the SD card.
Just enter a NEW filename to store the image on your HDD; then click on "Read from SD".
Another solution it to use a disk imager program (Win32DiskImager, Balena, ...). There are plenty of tutorials for them.

#4829 2 years ago
Quoted from drgary:

Is there a way to find out, which sound-file belongs to which video-file?

Unfortunately, no

#4830 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

so when importing a file which is at a different sampling frequency, PB will re-sample before integrating into the game ROM, correct ? Whereas if the sampling frequency is identical, it will not re-sample ?

Generally, yes. But for some game codecs, the sound is resampled. The best example is the undersampled sounds you can find in some firmwares (below is SPD 2.61).
Undersampled (resized).pngUndersampled (resized).png

Quoted from Ashram56:

What should be the file format for minimum conversion stages (ie WAV file, no compression I assume ?)

Any lossless codec with a sample rate that is an integer multiple of the game's one.
Please note that the game is not using lossless codecs : if you import/export (or export/import) the same sound, it will be modified.

Quoted from Ashram56:

Also, just to be sure we are on the same page: the low pass filter cutout frequency, if enabled, will cut all frequencies above the defined value in the checkbox, right ? May I know the rationale for this particular setting ?

Pinball Browser is using a low-pass biquad filter with the cutoff frequency you specify.

3 weeks later
#4852 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

oga83 Could you tell us the correct steps so we can stop our trial and mostly error?

What exactly are you trying to do that yields an error ?

#4875 2 years ago
Quoted from acons017:oga83 I’m trying to retain my grand champion score on TMNT. If I enter 98,777,777 into PB then the score will reduce by a 10th and come up as 9,877,777 when I load the code into my pinball machine. I noticed that if I enter a score into PB as 98,777,777 that I need to add a 0 at the end (so 987,777,770). Not a problem at all, I simply compensate by always adding the 0 at the end and my machine shows the score I want. The issue is that I attempted to enter my high score of 248,800,000 into pinball browser as 2,480,000,000 and it won’t accept it. Once I click ok it just reverts back to the old entry. I noticed that I can’t enter anything higher than 2,100,000,000 as a score (which should translate the score into 210,000,000 when loaded into my machine). I noticed that the limit is set on Adjustments tab in PinballBrowser. The Grand Champion Score maximum value there cannot be set higher that ~2,100,000,000. If I try to set the maximum value higher and click OK, it doesn't close the window. I tried changing the score through the service menu too, it accepted it, but won’t show up on the leaderboard. It simply shows the old score. Weird weird problem. Have you ever encountered this?

Not sure about this.
I'll have to check.
In some games, there is a score divider. That was usefull with the 32-bit scores limit.
PB takes it into account to display/modify HS (but it is not displayed in PB and that would be helpfull here)
It seems that PB incorrectly thinks that yours is 10.
It's probably because your game is using 64-bit scores.

3 weeks later
#4893 1 year ago
Quoted from fuzzel:

can you please add a raw import/export functionality for all parts of rom resources?

I'm not sure that it would be very usefull : sounds and frames use proprietary codecs/formats and you wouldn't be able to open the raw format files in any software.

Quoted from fuzzel:

I think what PB really misses is the abillity to import/export the code part of the rom together with some references to the graphics/sound resources if possible.

Can you provide an example of what you'd like to do ?

#4897 1 year ago
Quoted from fuzzel:

I'd like to analyze the firmware with Ghidra. I know it's already possible to load the rom file directly in Ghidra but because of all the additional resources the file is quite big and the analysis takes ages. It would be nice to export just the code part maybe some addional information to help loading the code in Ghidra.
Ofcourse it's possible to do it manually but PB is already very powerfull and I don't want to reinvent the wheel again

Unfortunately, that's beyond the scope of Pinball Browser

2 weeks later
#4901 1 year ago

Pinball Browser v8.10 is ready

Changes :

- Compatibility with most of the new firmwares
Aerosmith 1.10
Avengers 1.03
Batman 1.06
Beatles 1.20
Black Knight SOR 1.12
Can Crusher 1.01
Deadpool 1.06
Elvira 1.03
Ghostbusters 1.17
Godzilla 0.94
GOT 1.37
Guardians of the Galaxy 1.09
Iron Maiden 1.10
Jurassik Park 1.05
Jurassik Park - The Pin 1.03
Kiss 1.41
LedZep 1.15
Mando 1.20
Munster 1.21
Primus 1.03
Rush 0.93
Star Wars 1.20
Stranger Things 1.05
Turtles 1.51
Whoa Nelly 1.55
WWE 1.35
- Improvements in the image editor
- Added Scorbit achievements : Scorbit is working with volunteer creators to generate achievement frames for DMD machines. This feature is for those creators, and for the creation of venue or custom achievements as well in future releases.
- Fix for a bug that prevented PB from opening when a language other than EN was selected
- Fix for image modification that were randomely not saved when undo had been used
- Fix for sound-scripts ids; Thanks to Skillman !
- Note : Some firmwares take a long time to open the first time : be patient
- Note : Some sounds might be missing (PB can miss some of the 6*32 codecs)

#4906 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

oga83 i was wondering does it help you do provide sound requests that are not working correct?
like when you play them only static is played.
or does this only make sense for sounds that we 100% want, as it is too much manual work for you to correct but does not help you to improve the whole process.

Thanks for the suggestion but, unfortunately, there's nothing much I can do.
So far, PB has found up to 192 random codecs per firmware.
And they are all different from firmware to firmware.
For all the firmwares listed above, that makes about 5000 different codecs ! (even more if you include the previous versions)
Of course, decoding the sounds is all done automatically.
That's one of the reasons why PB takes so long to open some firmwares.
The problem is that, for some codecs, PB doesn't have enough relevant sound samples to figure out how to decode/encode them.
For these codecs, the corresponding sounds are noisy at best, static at worse.

#4921 1 year ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

I'm kinda sick of the "keep paying" model. I own a SW LE and have created a soundmod and also the Midnight madness thing for myself and as far as legally possible also shared things with others. SW has update cycles of a bit more than a year and for each release i get to pay for this same software again. For one machine. Just to keep one specific change alive.

I'm sorry to hear that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you paid for Pinball Browser v7.63, which has NO limit in time.
As a result, you can still use it to customize the firmware you have already modified, for as long as you want.
You can even use the v7.71, 7.80, 7.81 versions that have been released after v7.63.
However, in february 2022, SW 1.10 has been updated to 1.20 and Pinball Browser v7 can no longer open it.
A lot of work has been done to make Pinball Browser open the latest firmwares for all games.
See here to have an idea of the difficulties.
Unfortunately, this is what happens will all new firmwares.
That's the reason why unlimited free upgrades are not possible.

#4922 1 year ago
Quoted from cleland:

Random static still on Stranger Things LE/Premium code. Bummer, as that should be the last update for Stranger Things

There are 18 codecs (over 192) that the current version of PB can't decode on ST LE/Premium.
The corresponding sounds are static.
All the other sounds can be decoded/encoded correctly.
See here for a more detailed answer
As mentionned in the change log, a few firmwares have this issue but ST LE is the most impacted.

#4923 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

I do own a TMNT and Munsters and i guess the software cylce is completed and yes there you are right with machines that do not get any more software updates

Quoted from cleland:

as that should be the last update for Stranger Things

I'm afraid that firmwares will be updated until PB can't open them anymore...

#4927 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Can you clarify what you mean by 'codecs' in this case?

Codec as coder/decoder.
See here.
What wasn't clear in my post is that I said "There are 18 codecs that PB can't decode".
What I rather meant is that "PB can't figure out how 18 of the codecs work".
And of course, when PB doesn't understand how a codec works, it can't mimic its behaviour.
Thus, it can't decode or encode the corresponding sounds.
This generally comes from the lack of significant samples for these codecs.

#4928 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I'm working on my version of Guardians of the Galaxy 1.09. I came across one track of static. It was the last of the three duplicate Cherry Bomb tracks. But I was able to import over it using an export of one of the other two. First time I've encountered this myself.

If you import a new sound over a static one, it will probably sound good in PB.
But the codec used by PB and the codec on the game won't match : it will play static on the game...

#4929 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

Thanks oga83 i have so much fun with pinball browser it's worth the money
and i appreciate the work you are putting into the software.
at the moment i am fooling around with fonts, but i am afraid it is as compliacated as i am thinking.
In TMNT 1.51 pro scene 275 "TURTLE SAVED" i try to replace the font.
maybe you can comfirm if i am on the right way?
As i understand it, the glyphs are all in one big image like "image : 512x512-4" they are all unsorted in there and the Rectangle will point to area with the glyph in the picture. When i do an import in the glyph it will update this part in the Picture.
Some of the letters are turned 90° on this letters i was not able to import the single glyph.
I did now export all the glyphs to get the right dimension of each. Then i created with the new fonts pictures with the same dimesions and imported them into the glyphs. This way they are allinged good in the 512x512 picture. For the 90° degrees i did export the 512x512 image, modified it and reimported it.
I had the impression that the rendering works, i needed to close Pinball Browser first and reopen the sd-card image again that it will render right.
i was able to complete this scene, but it was a lot of works and will still need tweaking of single letters.[quoted image][quoted image]

That's amazing !
What you have described is all correct.
You generally don't have to deal with the whole font bitmap, unless you want to change most of its glyphs. But if you want, you can export the font bitmap, modify the glyphs (without modifying their sizes), and reimport it.
But it is generally easier to modify a single glyph.
What you've found about the rotated glyphs is a bug : PB forgets to apply the rotation when it imports such a glyph.
I'll fix it in the next release. As a workaround, you can rotate it yourself before importing it.
Also, you don't need to close and reopen PB to refresh the scene cache : Just collapse and re-expand the scene.

[EDIT] That was an easy fix. Can you try v8.11 and let me know how it works for you ?

#4931 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

So yeah that was the same understanding. Your clarification did make more sense then.
But that means that Stern is not using a standard codec for all samples, each is different?
What a pain....

See here.
The only reason is to make PB's work harder.

#4934 1 year ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Hello Oga
first of all thanks for the hard work.
I use PB often in the last time. i have two things that seem to apear often.
If i make a change on a soundfile and save i can't make a bookmark after it always occurs an unkown error ans i hav to restart PB for making a bookmark. Second If i do a bookmark it always jumps to the top files of the list.
is this known or can it be fixed?

I can reproduce this.
I'm not sure where it comes from but I'll fix it in the next release.
[EDIT]Fixed in v8.12

#4939 1 year ago
Quoted from cleland:

Does 8.12 now fix the static/codec issue with some games?

No. I have already explained why here.

#4950 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Could be my laptop but it takes close to an hour to open a file.

As stated in the change log, this is normal (and depends on your pc performances) :
Note : Some firmwares take a long time to open the first time : be patient
But it will be much quicker the 2nd time you open it

Quoted from usafstars:

I was having issues with 8.10, but 8.12 opens it very quickly now.

This does not depend on the version. The 2nd time you open it is just faster.

#4954 1 year ago

I have increased the sound analysis depth in PB v8.13
PB is now able to work with all the sounds in ST 1.05
I've not tested other firmwares but it's very likely to reduce the number of static sounds

#4967 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Same static track on Guardians remains.

Pro and/or LE ?
Which script id ?

#4968 1 year ago
Quoted from bart0404:

This happens for me also. I have been able to import different videos for different songs a few times, but never more than one video without corrupting the rom. Please help us fix this.

Is the firmware closed in PB when you create the sd card ?
Are you using the embedded sd-card image writer or another one ?
This happened in the past. Not sure it's the same, but see here.

#4971 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Guardians Pro.
Script 0x41
Length 2min01s929ms

In guardians-1_09_0.Release.8G.sdcard.raw, sound script 0x41 works fine with PB v8.13
0x41 (resized).png0x41 (resized).png
The song is Cherry Bomb by The Runnaways
[EDIT] If you tried to replace it with a previous version of PB (when it sounded static), that's normal. You should start again with a stock firmware.

#4998 1 year ago
Quoted from bart0404:

PB I think is choking on the files because of the very large size. Its definitely a huge help but for that portion it just breaks.

If you import a file that exceeds the filesystem capacity, I'm not sure what will happen...
That could explain why the partition got corrupted.
I'll try to add a verification for this in a future version.

#4999 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I found some static audio tracks in Led Zeppelin Pro 1.15 with Pinball Browser 8.13.
Scripts:
0x61
0x20B
0x1B5
0x145
There are others too, just happened across two of them and then checked a few others. Was brand new extracted code, not yet used in any version of Pinball Browser.

2 codecs are impacted in this game.
The corresponding sound scripts are :
LedZep (resized).pngLedZep (resized).png

3 weeks later
#5004 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Are you able to add those codecs like you did for Rush...or whatever other game recently had static tracks?

Unfortunately, no.
More information here
These multiple codecs have been implemented exclusively to block Pinball Browser.
They have no other purpose.

#5006 1 year ago
Quoted from jurulz:

Any possibility to be able to add codecs manually within PB? This could be community driven and not relied only on your shoulders?

Pinball Browser generates the codecs automatically.
This can't be done by hand because there are thousands of them (explained here).
Also, Pinball Browser is firmware-agnostic, meaning that it has no reference at all to specific firmwares (something like : if "rush_le_v097" then do_something).
(BTW, this is the reason why, unless counter-measures are added to intentionally block it, Pinball Browser can open firmwares that are released after itself)
Because of this, even if a codec could be created manually, it would not be possible to add it to Pinball Browser

1 week later
#5041 1 year ago
Quoted from matlynch91:

cannot seem to locate the comm140.hex file for the patch. Does this no longer exist?

The file is no longer needed.
Just install the communication patch with the "Sam" tab / "Comm Patch" button
or use the following macro : LoadHex,"pb:/Sam/comm.hex"

2 weeks later
#5050 1 year ago
Quoted from monkeybug:

Before I try this....
Has anyone replaced a "crackling" audio file with something else and had it work? Or with the current codec issues, they can't be modified?

Unfortunately, they can't

1 week later
#5062 1 year ago
Quoted from aWitchNamedMags:

Hi, so as it turns out Pinball Explorer doesn't have a Sounds button when loading EHOH, and the videos it finds don't have audio. I assume this is because I'm working with the 1.04 code while PE has support for 1.03, is there any way to get the audio out regardless of this?
[quoted image]

Stern repeatedly added items in an attempt to block Pinball Browser (and they did the same with Scorbit btw; see here and here)
As a result, a firmware that is released after Pinball Browser is generally missing some features
The current version of Pinball Browser can only fully open EHOH v1.03

1 week later
#5078 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Does anyone know for the Kiss Pro, what is the file extension for the file to include on the USB? I'm not sure if Stern has changed the older files to a new extension that may not work on PB. When you download the most recent Kiss Pro file from the Stern site, it is a ".spk" file type that is not zipped. This file does not seem to load into PB.
I have a zipped file I downloaded back in March and it includes the file with an ".iso" file type and when you unzip the file, it includes a single file that is a "Disk Image File", that will load into PB. Just wondering if Stern may be changing out the older files on the system so they can't be accessed by PB anymore. Thanks for the help.[quoted image]

It's on Stern's website in the SD-card section
Kiss Pro 1.41 is here

3 weeks later
#5103 1 year ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Having an issue where I open the code in PB and click play button to hear sound requests and not playing the sound.
Any suggestions?

Try to change the sound engine (in the Config tab)
For a mac, select "Mac OS"

4 weeks later
#5125 1 year ago
Quoted from etien:

Hello, just donated for the software through PayPal, am I supposed to receive some kind of key to activate the software? Etienne

I've just sent you an email

1 month later
#5165 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Interesting observation, when I owned an IM Pro about a year ago, I swapped out some songs on version 1.08 of the Stern SD Card file. It was done with PB. Now when I open the file with PB v 8.13, it doesn't seem to show the Sound tab anymore which seems strange as it was showing in a prior version of PB. Does that make sense? I thought Stern had somehow prevented the code files from showing the Sound tab in PB but this is an old code file that was working previously in PB.
Update - when I open the 1.08 file with version 7.81 of PB it shows the sound tab. When I open the same file with PB 8.13, there is no sound tab.

This is normal.
While I do my best to keep backward compatibility with old firmwares, this is not always possible.
What I mean is that each time a new Pinball Browser version is released, it can open the latest firmwares.
But it is possible that it cannot open some older ones.

In your case, PB v8.13 is able to open IM 1.10. But, as you noticed, it cannot open the older 1.08.

#5167 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for clarifying. If we have the old versions of PB, will they continue to work if we have our license current?

I think so but I can't guarantee backward compatibility

3 weeks later
#5174 1 year ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

when I load the Rush image I don't actually get a sounds tab, nor do I see any sounds imported (see it says 0).

A firmware released after Pinball Browser is generally not supported
The supported firmwares are listed in the changelog, at the end of the OP

2 weeks later
#5177 1 year ago

Pinball Browser 8.20 is ready !
It can be downloaded here : http://download.pinballbrowser.com

It is compatible with the latest Spike firmwares :

Aerosmith 1.12
Avengers 1.06
Batman 1.08
Beatles 1.24
Black Knight SOR 1.14
Can Crusher 1.01
Deadpool 1.08
Elvira 1.05
Ghostbusters 1.17
Godzilla 1.03
GOT 1.37
Guardians of the Galaxy 1.11
Iron Maiden 1.12
James Bond 0.80
Jurassic Park 1.07
Jurassic Park - The Pin 1.03
Kiss 1.41
Led Zeppelin 1.17
Mando 1.41
Munsters 1.23
Primus 1.03
Rush 1.02
Star Wars 1.22
Star Wars Elg 1.04
Stranger Things 1.07
Turtles 1.54
Whoa Nelly 1.55
WWE 1.35

Thank you to all the Pinsiders who have tested it !

#5189 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

So we can change the songs in the above titles and still use insider connected?

Yes, why do you think it could be otherwise ?

And you can even use Scorbit . See here

Quoted from pinballjah:

In case big brother is watching you and can somehow cause issues with the game.

Not sure if this is allowed in the US but, in the EU, it would be a violation of GDPR; And it's certainly not worth taking the risk

#5202 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I tried the code without changing the name of the original file and PB seemed to work ok. Not sure why changing the file name would matter? Maybe the original file was corrupt but it seems to be working again.

The filename has no impact on the sounds

Quoted from TonyScoots:

Not sure 8.20 is Not working with Batman 1.08.0, I keep getting unknown firmware

Most likely, there is a problem with the file you're trying to open. Is it a .raw file ?
BM66-1.08 (resized).pngBM66-1.08 (resized).png

Quoted from noysboy:

I opened up deadpool pro 1.08 but many of the sounds scripts are missing

I'll look into this

#5203 1 year ago
Quoted from noysboy:

I opened up deadpool pro 1.08 but many of the sounds scripts are missing

That was just a display issue for some games
Fixed in Pinball Browser v8.21

#5205 1 year ago
Quoted from fuzzel:

With PB 8.20 I have issues with playing some sounds in JP Pro 1.07. For example sound request #50 script 0x5FD (0min00s951ms) and 0x4AA (0min01s054ms) are completely broken but the third script 0x48A (0min01s234ms) works. There are other sound requests that show the same problem.
Opening JP Pro 1.05 the same sounds work (different sound request though #44.
Update: just checked PB 8.21 and it shows the same issue. Some sounds are broken.

See here for an explanation

#5209 1 year ago

Pinball Browser v8.22 fixes a problem when rendering a scene with some firmwares

#5215 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

is the versioning and differentiation between Pro and LE still working between images?
i did a sound mapping for Munsters 1.23 Pro that opend in Pinball browser with version MUN000.
Then i uploaded the mapping with bookmark sync. The problem now is when i open an LE image it will get the mapping from pro.
When i would do a mapping for an LE it would overwrite the pro mapping.
The sound scripts to differ between this two version.[quoted image][quoted image]

That's because the firmware version has not been correctly identified (0.00)
I'll try to find a fix and use the id instead (that is new since v8)

2 weeks later
#5225 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I got an indication on PB that version 8.22 was available for download. When I tried to download it, it downloaded some monitoring software instead. I think the link needs to be fixed. Thanks.

Sorry about this. That's one of my other projects. I have fixed it.

#5226 1 year ago
Quoted from DavidLee:

I'm having difficulties replacing callout sounds on Big Buck Hunter and I'm hoping someone can advise me what settings to check. One thing that might be relevant is that the sounds are indicated to be "Undersampled 2X" in Pinball Browser. I am using Audacity, and am converting a sound file to one track (mono), changing the Project Rate (Hz) to 24000, and exporting the file as a .wav file with encoding set as "SIgned 16-bit PCM) and no track metadata. The sounds import fine into Pinball Browser, and I can play them fine within Pinball Browswer. HOwever, once installed in the actual game, the sounds are silent. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of things to check, etc.? TIA.

Sound replacement on SAM games is supposed to work, whatever the encoding method (undersampled 2x included, since v6.00)
Which version of Pinball Browser are you using ?
BTW, you don't have to convert the file before importing it with Pinball Browser : Pinball Browser will convert if for you

#5227 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

so it seems only to be specific for tmnt. I tried both pro and prem code both seem to have the same problem. Code is modifiable. and everything looks nice.
When back in the machine it fails to play the modded videos. The screen is frozen for a moment when the video should play, or it will just restart.
as i remember tmnt was the 1. one with the security fixes and it was a between patch. So maybe they have done something different there.

Did you try to export a video and re-import it with the "Import file (no conversion)" function ?

#5229 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thank you, no luck with the latest version of James Bond 0.84?

Try Pinball Browser 8.23

1 week later
#5233 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

just did some tests with Pinball Browser 8.23 and TMNT Pro 1.54:
when i export and the import the video without conversion it works.
When i import my video without conversion it works (it has the same specs as original)
When i import my video normal the video (import video) does not work.
can you explain in short the the macro specs for this?
is behind the filename ,X,Y,Z the Z for the conversion/non conversion Flag?
Y = Frames?
can i import a video without giving the Y
Video,69,"69.mp4",0,,1 something like this?
update:
did some more tests, macros seem not to work in any way.

It seems there was an error in the post describing this macro (and a bug in the Import menu function that generates an incorrect macro)
The correct syntax for this macro seems to be :
- To import a video without conversion :
Video,Id,Filename,1
- To import a video with conversion :
Video,Id,Filename
or Video,Id,Filename,StartFrame
or Video,Id,Filename,StartFrame,EndFrame

I'll fix the macro that is created when you manually import a video in the next version.
The syntax will then be :
Video,Id,Filename,noconversion
or Video,Id,Filename
or Video,Id,Filename,StartFrame
or Video,Id,Filename,StartFrame,EndFrame

#5236 1 year ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I haven't used this software in awhile and when I opened it I was prompted to upgrade from v7 to v8.23. Now that I've upgraded it appears to have killed my license. It looks like it's now a yearly subscription model as opposed to a one time license?
Anyone know if it can be downgraded? It's a little annoying that there wasn't anything that warned me that an upgrade to the new version would require a migration to a different licensing model.
I realize software takes a lot of time to design and maintain and I have no problem paying. My annoyance was with the lack of notification. Had I know the licensing model would have changed, I would have declined. I just wanted to change one song.

I'm sorry you were not aware of this
At the time Pinball Browser v8 was released, the new licensing scheme was explained here
You got your v8 subscription back in december 2021 as a free upgrade from Pinball Browser v7
Otherwise, when you subscribe to a new license, it's clearly indicated that it is a 1-year subscription
Anyway, you can still use Pinball Browser v7 : your v7 license is still valid and was not replaced by the v8 subscription

#5238 1 year ago
Quoted from shaunpurslow:

Hello everyone,
The website is not loading for me. Anyone else having any trouble?
Just looking to download the newest version and pay for a license.

I can confirm. I'm working on it
[EDIT] Fixed !

#5239 1 year ago

Pinball Browser 8.25 is now compatible with GZ 1.04 and JB 0.87

#5242 1 year ago
Quoted from mlager8:

I'm trying to reverse engineer the sprite animations in deadpool LE 1.08, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how animations are being handled in the "scenes" tab. Scene 27 for example shows an image collection of 5 sprite sheets being used and then a frame transforms matrix. What is this matrix telling me? It doesn't seem to be pixel coordinates and I'm completely lost.
Also if I "render" the scene is writes out a 1 second blank .mp4 with the right canvas size, but that's it.
Any insight it whats going on here or how I could recreate these sprite animations?
[quoted image]

You will find some explanations, and an example, in this post :
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/78#post-5740605

#5249 1 year ago
Quoted from mlager8:

I see the example you posted which lends itself to what cabal said, it's animation of one frame of text. My case however seems to be a frame sequence. Is there anyway to see info about that sequence? When I hit render, it writes out a blank mp4 that's less than 1 second and contains no information.

IMO, this scene is not an animation
It's just a collection of sprites which must be animated by the code, not by the scene engine
That's the reason why the rendering yields nothing

1 week later
#5258 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Really? I haven't had that happen ever.

Yes, the first analysis can take a long time

2 weeks later
#5263 1 year ago
Quoted from Victor74:

I bought the program yesterday and found that the Williams WPC ROMs cannot be edited.
You should definitely have checked the FAQ before purchasing the program as it is specified.
But I also sent an email before buying it since I only wanted the program to edit the Johnny Mnemonic roms and convert it to The Matrix.
It didn't seem right to me to do the work and have to pay to do it and I thought that by contacting it I would be allowed to use it since it is for a Visual Pinball project.
When I did not receive a response, I decided to buy it and I see that it is not working for me, I have sent other emails that have not received a response either.
I'm trying to cancel the payment, I know I should have read the FAQ before buying, but they could also reply to emails.

I've never received any email from you, even in the spam folder. I usually answer to emails within 1 day (because of the time difference).
I'll issue a refund for you.

#5264 1 year ago
Quoted from Mutt:

doesn't work in chrome for me but works fine in edge

In some places Chrome doesn't work with PB's download url (it complains about too many redirections)
This is a little weird as I would expect Chrome to be the last to have an issue with a file hosted on Google Drive !

3 weeks later
#5289 1 year ago

Pinball Browser v8.26 is available !
It is compatible with most latest firmwares

Aerosmith 1.12
Avengers 1.06
Batman 1.08
Beatles 1.24
Black Knight SOR 1.14
Can Crusher 1.01
Deadpool 1.08
Elvira 1.05
Foo Fighters 0.91
Ghostbusters 1.17
Godzilla 1.04
GOT 1.37
Guardians of the Galaxy 1.11
Iron Maiden 1.12
James Bond 0.88
James Bond 60th 1.04
Jurassic Park 1.07
Jurassic Park - The Pin 1.03
Kiss 1.41
Led Zeppelin 1.17
Mando 1.41
Munsters 1.23
Primus 1.03
Rush 1.10
Star Wars 1.23
Star Wars Elg 1.04
Stranger Things 1.07
Turtles 1.54
Whoa Nelly 1.55
WWE 1.35

However, it seems that someone paid attentions to the posts about codecs and static sounds :
The most recent firmwares seem to have new codecs which cause a lot of static sounds in PB

#5292 1 year ago
Quoted from Cadrion:

Hey All, I've been trying to explore editing Star Trek 1.62. Problem is that when I go to edit the image, I see the palette colors in the editor along with any other palette, but when I select a color to edit with it doesn't color correctly. When I select a color from the palette, the wrong color goes into the edit regardless of what color I actually click...doesn't seem to matter on which version of the editor I'm using, they both do it... 825 and 826. Any ideas?

1- You have to configure the SmartDmd device and the palette mode in the SmartDmd tab
SmartDmd (resized).pngSmartDmd (resized).png
2- You have to select the SmarDmd palette in the Display tab
Display (resized).pngDisplay (resized).png

#5293 1 year ago

Duplicate

#5298 1 year ago
Quoted from Cadrion:

Oga83, I did follow those steps. The issue comes in when I open and attempt to edit a frame. I see the smart dmd palettes and can select them. I see the colors to choose from that were assigned in the palette but when I select a color and edit the frame in pinball browser, the color that is drawn isn't the color I selected.. all within PB, not in the real pin yet. Is there much in the way of external software requirements? If the problem was universal I'd think you could simply open a firmware, setup smartdmd, then try and edit a frame and it would be apparent right away.. thanks for the help
Edit: I tried installing PB on my wife's PC to see if it's something with my PC and I found the same behavior. What I am doing: open PB, configure smartdmd.txt with palettes, configure side channel serial, load firmware, try to color a frame. In edit, the palette colors are correct but when I draw with any of them like pencil or flood, the color edit doesn't reflect the color selected. One thing I noticed was if I draw a line, while it's stretched and mouse button hasn't been released it's the correct color but when the button is released to set the color, it will not be correct. Hope that helps..

I'm not sure why this is happening
The SmarDmd project is no longer active and this issue might have been here for a very long time

#5302 1 year ago
Quoted from Cadrion:

After getting some help with older versions, it looks like the color bug came up in v8.0. 7.81 colors ok and I had a license with my old pc for that one but upgraded since then, so can't register that way and it looks like v8 license I have now only with with v8. Any way to help out here oga83? I wouldn't care about having to use an older version of the software...

Thanks for the info
A v8 license does not disable a previous v7 one
If your v7 license is not working any longer, PM me your token id and I'll check it for you

2 weeks later
#5313 11 months ago
Quoted from Cadrion:

Oga83, question just out of curiosity... When PB edits a stern file for just the graphics without smart dmd selected, why does the file get bigger? It seems like you are just changing pixels within the same pallette and not adding color data. Is it the kind of thing where different brightness have different data sizes or something? Thanks

Which file are you talking about ? the firmware file ?
Its size should not change unless, in some cases, you use the Extend Memory function on Sam games

#5315 11 months ago
Quoted from Cadrion:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the stern firmware for SAM. Ah ok... So the limitation that was run into when doing the colorization was because of the smartdmd data getting added to firmware?

I'm not sure what you mean.
When using the SmartDmd side-channel, no data is "added" to the firmware when you select a palette.
The palette id is just stored at a location that already exists in the frame header.
However, if you modify a pixel color, the frame size can increase or decrease (depending on the compression) and the frame can be relocated in memory.
When a frame size increases and can't be relocated, most likely because memory is fragmented or exhausted, you'll get a memory error.
There are explanations somewhere in this thread about how to solve memory fragmentation. Basically, all the modifications for the same frame have to be grouped together (use the "optimize" function in the Macro menu for this) and the macro has to run on a fresh fimware.

#5326 11 months ago
Quoted from JMB123:

I'm getting intermittent audio pops after importing a song into Pinball Browser v8.26. I've made sure all the details of the new file are the same as the original. 44100 hz, 16 PCM, Stereo. Length is the same to the millisecond. It's not redlining, as I've tried lowering the volume. And the pops happen at the exact same moments during playback in PB, even if I import different songs. I'm replacing Request 81 on Turtles Pro 1.54, and the pops come in at about 3, 8, 23, 46 seconds, etc. Different Requests seem to create pops at different points. I've tried importing as wav, mp3, lots of different settings, but nothing changes the pops and where they come up. I tested it in the machine, and the pops come through. Anyone else notice this? Is the file changed in some way when it gets imported into PB? Any possible fix for this?

With all firmwares released after PB v8.13, you can hear exactly two 10ms-clicks per sound. The position and intensity of these clicks depends on the original sound and the one you import. For some sounds, it's hard to hear them; for some others, you can't miss them. Unfortunately, this comes from a change in the firmware code and PB cannot remove these clicks.

#5330 11 months ago
Quoted from Speck:

Oga83 - what happens to a file when you bump up the volume while importing? Does it distort or hurt the sound quality or is it similar to increasing the volume while listening to music? I’m trying to find the best way to bring up the music in relation to the callouts while keeping the quality as close as possible to what I’ve downloaded. If I bring multiple files into audacity to normalize the volume does that reduce the overall sound quality? What is the best file type to us - WAV or MP3? Any best practices? Is there a volume / music import tutorial that gets into best practices and how it all works? Thanks for any insights.

Pinball Browser will work best with lossless formats (for example: wav; but NOT mp3) and a sampling frequency that is a multiple of the one used by the game (shown in the rightmost panel)
Regarding the volume, I am not an expert on the subject. All I can say is that it depends on the game and obviously you don't want to use clipped audio as input

#5333 11 months ago
Quoted from nagamitsu:

Wanted to try Pinball Browser, play around a bit/learn, but when I try to open an image file, it says "unknown firmware". Is this a limitation as I've not purchased PB yet or it's firmware from a version or two back from latest?
Thanks!
Tim

No, it's not a limitation od the free version
I didn't find the game you were talking about but, most likelely, your firmware is too recent for Pinball Browser
The firmware compatibility list is in the change log at the end of the OP

2 months later
#5346 9 months ago
Quoted from fuzzel:

Is the PB project dead? Download link isn't working anymore and no new updates for months

No, the project is not dead
The last update was 3 month ago but adjusting PB for new firmwares takes time

Regarding the download link, I'm investigating this issue
I'm not sure why Google now flags PB 8.26 as infected
One month ago, it was not the case and the file has not changed :
vt1 (resized).pngvt1 (resized).png
The exact same file today :
vt2 (resized).pngvt2 (resized).png

#5347 9 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

Regarding the download link, I'm investigating this issue

After 5 days, Google has still not answered to my request to unflag the file
To restore the download link, I moved the file to another platform than Google Drive

The url is still the same : http://download.pinballbrowser.com

#5350 9 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

If you need some hosting space, I can help. I host Slochar's ROMs and all, and can easily host all the versions of your browser.
Just offering.

Thank you !

#5354 8 months ago

Pinball Browser v8.30 is available !
It is compatible with the latest firmwares
See the change log in the OP for new features and bug fixes.
It can be downloaded here : http://download.pinballbrowser.com

#5357 8 months ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

I think there may be an issue with updating some sounds in the latest update.

Thanks for reporting this !
Can you please try version v8.31 ?

#5362 8 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Did you figure out how to fix the static sound issue with this version?

Quoted from PoMC:

No point in changing anything now if the main song is FUBARed.

Most of the codecs are now working but some of them might not.
The process is entirely automatic and it can fail (each game now has 256 random codecs; they are different for each game/version)
For example, on Foo Fighters 0.96, I think that only 1 codec is not working
For Guardians of Galaxy pro 1.12 :
0x163 (31s176) : IMO, the original is like that; it's not distorsion, it's applause; if you check the other sounds that use the same codec, they play correctly
0x8df, 0x689, 0x80d are all using the same codec which is not working
0x32, 0x68 and 0x6c are all using the same codec which is static on 1 channel (the other one is working)

As I can't check all sounds in all games, if you find one that is still static, just PM the firmware exact version (pro/le), the number of channels (1 or 2) and codec number : that can help improving the algorithm for a future version.

#5363 8 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

"Pinball browser"can browse all the sounds, images, videos, messages, adjustments, high scores in the firmware of the supported pinballs. And the best is that you can also replace them
It should work with all Stern SAM and Spike firmwares (I tried AC/DC Avatar, Avengers, Tron, Iron man, XMen, Transformers, Tron, Rolling stones, WWE, Kiss, ...).
It can also open WPC games (it can only display DMD frames - no modifications), and Whitestar games (it can only play and modify sounds).
Please update the list of games linked to this topic if it works with one that is not already listed.
It can be downloaded here
(v8.32 - See change log at the end of this post - if the link points to the wrong version, clear your browser cache and retry; if the link does not work with Chrome, try a different browser)
This zip file contains all the necessary files.
If you get an error message like "To run this application, you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework: v4.0", download it
here.
You can also use it on MAC OS :
see here
Check out my other Pinball Browser related projects :
- SmartDmd
- Breakout Game
- Program modification
Happy mod !
Additional infos :
Check the FAQ
Language :
You can select your language between English, French, German or Spanish
You can either use the embedded editor or import images.
Regarding the imported image format, there is no requirement : it will be resized to the correct size and converted to gray scale. You can also use other formats that JPEG (bmp, png, ...). Best result when you use BMP or PNG with the same size than the orginal image.
For raster-1 and raster-12, the new image is stored at the same place; so, there is no limitation in the number of images you can replace; for other types, you can also replace them, but you are limited by the free available memory in the firmware.
The image size and type is displayed just below the scrollbar.
Sounds :
- Pinball Browser can import many file formats (wav, mp3, ... and even video sound tracks). The embedded small editor will allow you to crop the sound and adjust the volume. It will also convert the file to the adequate format. No need to use Audacity anymore in most cases.
- The sound track duration cannot be changed. If your file is too long, it will be cut; if it is too short, there will be no sound for the remaining time. Internal structures are too complex to allow this kind of modification (a sound-request is generally made of several sound-scripts; each sound-script can be split into several sound-fragments...); Use the embedded sound editor or Audacity to adjust your sounds.
- More info
here
Videos
On some Spike games, like WWE-LE, you can replace the videos.
You'll need ffmpeg; If needed, Pinball Browser will ask you to download it. Just follow the instructions.