5 (resized).png
4 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,576 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 112.
#2201 7 years ago

Does this only work on sterns? I have a south park that I would love to change the callouts and sounds on. I am pretty damn good at the voices and would do the callouts myself.

#2202 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I spoke with lyman about this @ expo a week ago. he was aware and mentioned that a patch was coming to correct this (I think that 1.71 [not available yet] will be the version to correct this)

Can someone beg, plead, or bribe Lyman to turn on the switches for spinners on the Pro, PLEASE!!! Stern could then sell a kit that would include the spinners and the plastics and I'm sure they would sell a bunch of them.

#2203 7 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Can someone beg, plead, or bribe Lyman to turn on the switches for spinners on the Pro, PLEASE!!! Stern could then sell a kit that would include the spinners and the plastics and I'm sure they would sell a bunch of them.

probably wouldn't help even if you bribed. the short answer is that there is a reason that they offer a pro model and a premium model.

if you were a company offering two models that were priced differently and offered different features, would you want your customers to buy the cheaper model and then upgrade it themselves to the level of your more expensively priced item without seeing any of the money that it took them to get to the higher priced option?

I'm going to sound like a jerk but plain and simple, if you wanted the spinners and the other options afforded by the premium and limited models [and integrated into the code], then you should buy the premium or limited model

#2204 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

probably wouldn't help even if you bribed. the short answer is that there is a reason that they offer a pro model and a premium model.
if you were a company offering two models that were priced differently and offered different features, would you want your customers to buy the cheaper model and then upgrade it themselves to the level of your more expensively priced item without seeing any of the money that it took them to get to the higher priced option?
I'm going to sound like a jerk but plain and simple, if you wanted the spinners and the other options afforded by the premium and limited models [and integrated into the code], then you should buy the premium or limited model

I disagree, they could activate the two switches sell a kit and make extra money and it still wouldn't turn a Pro into a premium. There are plenty of other differences such as color changing inserts, the hammer, rising cross, different translite, etc. that distinguish the Premium from the Pro. I'm sure it will never happen, but it would be nice IMHO. I'm not trying to start a debate just wishful thinking.

#2205 7 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I'm not trying to start a debate just wishful thinking.

Sure you are . Anyone giving back and forth on a subject is participating in a debate. If you weren't interested in a debate then you wouldn't have responded as shown above by stating the pros for your argument. That's by definition, a debate.

#2206 7 years ago

guys - looking to update metallica songs. Is it required to have a serial link to connect? If not, how else do I connect (usb??)

#2207 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

guys - looking to update metallica songs. Is it required to have a serial link to connect? If not, how else do I connect (usb??)

No. Download the original code to your pc. Open that code in pinball browser. Import songs into the appropriate places in pinball browser. Save that modified code to your pc. Place that new code on a flash drive and update your pinball machine as normal with that flash drive.

#2208 7 years ago

nice! thank you.

DONATION made. Now I just wait for the key. Putting On my Own at the game over screen for my GB is worth the 20 by itself.

#2209 7 years ago

When I try to load the comm patch I get "Warning: Cannot remap vector 0x30!". Is this preventing it from working properly? The procedure continued and asked for serial number of machine, but I don't seem to be able to connect once the new code with patch is installed on the pinball machine. Port can be opened but it won't communicate.

Edit..I just read the first version of the instructions that says if you get an error or warning while loading the comm patch, it is probably not compatible with your pinball. Tron Pro, FYI.

#2210 7 years ago

TimeBandit:
which version of the pinball browser and the comm.dll are you running? for v5.80, you should be using comm120.hex

#2211 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

TimeBandit:
which version of the pinball browser and the comm.dll are you running? for v5.80, you should be using comm120.hex

Yep. 5.8 and comm120.

#2212 7 years ago

I would shoot olivier an email with the exact error message

#2213 7 years ago

I don't believe it's possible to just use the intro of a song (like hero of the day) at the end of the game but NOT replace a main song in metallica right? I just want the little snipet instead of unforgiven at game over but I think hero will now play in unforg place right?

EDIT - doesn't seem like it's possible to do. I replaced I think the right little snippet but it still defaulted to unforgiven during game over.

#2214 7 years ago

I've just tried to load the communication patch on TRN17402.BIN and I have the same error.
It seems that a critical function is missing in this firmware (probably because this firmware is old).
I'll check if it's possible to find a workaround for this with a new communication patch.

#2215 7 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I've just tried to load the communication patch on TRN17402.BIN and I have the same error.
It seems that a critical function is missing in this firmware (probably because this firmware is old).
I'll check if it's possible to find a workaround for this with a new communication patch.

You da man, Olivier! But if I am the only guy on earth trying to do this with Tron, then please don't do it just on my account.
Now, what would be really cool is the export/reimport functionality. I would love to move some sound scripts between sound requests.

#2216 7 years ago

I really don't understand the logic of removing the export function. It doesn't accomplish anything except making it more difficult to export sounds which is still somewhat simple to do using a sound to file driver. This is the type of tool that's totally legal regardless if Stern likes it or not.

#2217 7 years ago

Just to ensure I'm not doing something wrong is it possible to do the following:

Metallica - instead of unforgiven playing during game over I want to replace with hero of the day

Ghostbusters - instead of who you going to call during game over I want to replace with Bobby brown on my own.

#2218 7 years ago

bump - can someone with more experience than me confirm?

#2219 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

bump - can someone with more experience than me confirm?

Metallica - yes, if Hero of the Day is longer than Unforgiven it will end at the length of the Unforgiven song. If Hero is shorter, you'll have silence at the end of the song making up the time of the full Unforgiven song.

Ghostbusters - I don't have experience with Spike games. But according to the OP, in the very first post (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images#post-872012), Pinball Browser should work with Spike. The same clipping/silence would apply if the replacement song is longer/shorter, respectively.

#2220 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

When I try to load the comm patch I get "Warning: Cannot remap vector 0x30!" ... Tron Pro

Quoted from oga83:

The critical function was here but Pinball Browser was not able to locate it...
It will be fixed in the next version.

#2221 7 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Metallica - yes, if Hero of the Day is longer than Unforgiven it will end at the length of the Unforgiven song. If Hero is shorter, you'll have silence at the end of the song making up the time of the full Unforgiven song.
Ghostbusters - I don't have experience with Spike games. But according to the OP, in the very first post (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images#post-872012), Pinball Browser should work with Spike. The same clipping/silence would apply if the replacement song is longer/shorter, respectively.

I don't think that's what he was asking regarding Metallica.

If you replace Unforgiven, whatever song you replace it with will play in all other instances of Unforgiven. You can't just replace one of the shorter request numbers and leave the others. You replace the longest instance, and all other requests for that song get replaced automatically.

#2222 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I don't think that's what he was asking regarding Metallica.
If you replace Unforgiven, whatever song you replace it with will play in all other instances of Unforgiven. You can't just replace one of the shorter request numbers and leave the others. You replace the longest instance, and all other requests for that song get replaced automatically.

You're correct. That's what I was asking. I was hoping to just change a small snippet not repave the entire song.

One other question. I don't think this program recognizes FLAC format right? No way to increase the quality of the conversion a it replaces the song? Feel like I hear a little crackling with the songs. I did increase volume to make them louder as the in game option is bugged.

#2223 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

You're correct. That's what I was asking. I was hoping to just change a small snippet not repave the entire song.
One other question. I don't think this program recognizes FLAC format right? No way to increase the quality of the conversion a it replaces the song? Feel like I hear a little crackling with the songs. I did increase volume to make them louder as the in game option is bugged.

I think it only recognizes WAV, but I could be wrong.

By the way, if you still want Unforgiven as a song choice, but you want Hero for a Day in the Unforgiven spot for end of game purposes, You can always move Unforgiven to a different song spot. That's what I did with Ride the Lightning because I didn't like the way Sparky multiball started the song midway instead of from the beginning. I did the same with KISS, so that I have Dr. Love as a song choice, even though I replaced it for God of Thunder for Demon Multiball.

#2224 7 years ago

Tagging post. *starts work on 8-bit Metallica soundtrack*

#2225 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I think it only recognizes WAV, but I could be wrong.
By the way, if you still want Unforgiven as a song choice, but you want Hero for a Day in the Unforgiven spot for end of game purposes, You can always move Unforgiven to a different song spot. That's what I did with Ride the Lightning because I didn't like the way Sparky multiball started the song midway instead of from the beginning. I did the same with KISS, so that I have Dr. Love as a song choice, even though I replaced it for God of Thunder for Demon Multiball.

thanks but the problem is I don't want hero of the day in the game at all EXCEPT for the game over. The intro to it would fit well. I guess that's not possible.

I have noticed that some of the songs have a very small crackle noise during them (hard to tell but I can hear it every so often). My songs are 320kbps quality so rock solid. It must be this software or the fact I'm increasing the volume of the songs? Anyone have this issue and what are you guys doing to get the best audio quality out of it? I'm thinking of swapping stock with pinball pro even though I have a polk sub. maybe that would help?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2226 7 years ago

The samples in the STERN SAM roms are 16 bit mono. Anything that is replaced will also be saved in 16bit mono so don't expect audiophile quality out of the Stern SAM. I've been playing TWD resamples by various folks and don't notice any crackles.

Quoted from delt31:

thanks but the problem is I don't want hero of the day in the game at all EXCEPT for the game over. The intro to it would fit well. I guess that's not possible.
I have noticed that some of the songs have a very small crackle noise during them (hard to tell but I can hear it every so often). My songs are 320kbps quality so rock solid. It must be this software or the fact I'm increasing the volume of the songs? Anyone have this issue and what are you guys doing to get the best audio quality out of it? I'm thinking of swapping stock with pinball pro even though I have a polk sub. maybe that would help?

#2227 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

It must be this software or the fact I'm increasing the volume of the songs?

I haven't played with boosting volumes by waveform in this particular software itself, but I have worked quite a bit with digital sound in the past and I might offer the theory that you could easily be correct about the issue you are experiencing having to do with boosting the volume of the waveform you are giving it. There is a phenomenon called clipping that occurs with waveforms that are increased in amplitude that can cause this effect (can also potentially be very bad/damaging for the speakers, btw). In this case too there is also the additional variable that unless you are giving the software the absolute exact format it requires for the firmware (this may be particularly difficult), it will need to transcode it to be able to put it in the firmware for you (meaning the clipping may be artificially induced in the transcoding itself based on your source input).

I might suggest a couple thoughts here. First, try it without increasing the volume. If this sounds fine, then I might suggest trying it with less of a volume boost. Another alternative might be to try something called "compression" on the waveform. This can potentially make it sound louder as well, without actually boosting the absolute amplitude of the waveform (and avoid clipping). Compression is safe to play with. Over-compressing won't hurt anything, but it likely won't sound too good. If the issue is indeed clipping as I mentioned in the very beginning, I think you may find best results with very mild volume boosting, combined with a little bit of compression. Ultimately, it would be best to use the in-game volume adjustment of the music if you can though - I suspect the in-game mixing would likely be able to take care of all of this better and more dynamically.

Again though, I am not the expert on Olivier's software or it's usage here. Perhaps he could give better guidance on the transcoding aspect.

#2228 7 years ago

See post 798 in this thread for sound file specifics. You can't just use a high bit rate stereo wave file, it has to be mono

Quoted from delt31:

#2230 7 years ago

Hello oga83

I like the pinboll browser and its capbilities for editing/ colorizing games!
Maybe I didn't read carefully or missed it otherwise, but is there a way to switch between the different frames without leaving the editor window?

That would be really convenient and much faster then always open/close that editor window and reopen at the next frame and so on...
Are there any shortcuts ?

greetings,
Dom

#2231 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

My songs are 320kbps quality so rock solid

It's no use to have such a quality : the game has a 12kHz sampling rate (6kHz for undersampled sounds) and Pinball Browser can't do better than this.
Using high quality files can lead to conversion artifacts : check this post. A low-pass filter might help.

#2232 7 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

is there a way to switch between the different frames without leaving the editor window?

No, this is not possible (and not easy to implement because of the firmware-independant layered structure of Pinball-Browser).

However, most of the time, a frame modification is simply a palette assignment (with no pixel modification).
For this, the "copy palette" (Ctrl-P) can help. No need to enter into the frame editor : In the "Image" tab, "Ctrl-P" will copy the palette from the previous frame to the current one. Thus, hitting 'Ctrl-P' followed by '+' will propagate the palette definition to several images.

#2233 7 years ago

what does the low pass filter do? It's checked by default so I left it on.

#2234 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

what does the low pass filter do?

It filters frequencies higher than the cutoff frequency.
It's a 2nd-order low-pass filter, so there is a-40dB/decade rolloff.

#2235 7 years ago

thanks but not sure what that means. Should I leave it on?

#2236 7 years ago

So now that I have a bunch of sounds changed for xmen how do I get it into the game?

#2237 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

thanks but not sure what that means. Should I leave it on?

It depends on your files but it's generally harmless to leave the low pass filter enabled

#2238 7 years ago

Being able to export sound would be very helpful. There are a few examples of Tron remixes out there and I like a couple tracks from each. Any chance this is possible?

1 week later
#2239 7 years ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Being able to export sound would be very helpful. There are a few examples of Tron remixes out there and I like a couple tracks from each. Any chance this is possible?

There are plenty of easy enough ways to do this. I believe audacity is free and provides a way to record sounds that are being played via a loopback device. You'd simply configure this and then play the sound files one by one in pinball browser and save the file.
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html

Many sound card drivers have stereo mix option installed. You can simply enable that and use the sound recorder app while pinball browser plays back the sound file as shown here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/

If all else fails, virtual audio streaming works. It creates a virtual sound device you enable which just sends all pc sounds to a file. You'd enable this, click record, play the sound in pinball browser, click stop and save the file and repeat.
http://www.virtualaudiostreaming.net/

In short, pinball browser removed this capability but it doesnt prevent you from doing anything you want it just makes it annoying.

3 weeks later
#2240 7 years ago

Any suggestions for a song to replace Unforgiven for Metallica's end of game music? Need something faster and more exciting.

#2241 7 years ago

how about 'I disappear'?

#2242 7 years ago

Ok i just donated how long does it usually take to get the key?

#2243 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Ok i just donated how long does it usually take to get the key?

Donate, go to bed, wake up to key.

#2244 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Any suggestions for a song to replace Unforgiven for Metallica's end of game music? Need something faster and more exciting.

Shortest Straw is almost the exact same length.

#2245 7 years ago

Has anyone played around with sounds on Spike games yet? And what is this Key people are talking about?

#2246 7 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Has anyone played around with sounds on Spike games yet? And what is this Key people are talking about?

I have changed songs on KISS. The key is what you need to unlock features after making a donation.

#2247 7 years ago

Has anyone talked about adding voice to Ghostbusters?

1 week later
#2248 7 years ago

So I rethemed a Rolling Stones pin to a foo fighters pin. Wanted to show a video clip in this thread. I used pinball browser to change everything. It's an amazing product.

#2249 7 years ago

Wow! Great job all the way around! I'm happy just to be able to change a few songs on my MET and KISS! This looks like it was quite the project!

#2250 7 years ago
Quoted from mozach:

So I rethemed a Rolling Stones pin to a foo fighters pin. Wanted to show a video clip in this thread. I used pinball browser to change everything. It's an amazing product.
» YouTube video

Nice job. Do you have close up images for everything? What do you make the dude on the stick from. I had Eddie figures to choose from. I don't imagine you did.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, OR
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,576 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.