1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,560 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 112.
#2151 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

If you are stating here you are using a pin2dmd rgb led display you are correct, no side channel possible. Side channel only works with total smartdmd solution with raspberry pi

ok, thanks for the clarification, now I understand perfectly.

pin2dmd effectively use software, but the hardware is not theirs.

Thank you

3 weeks later
#2152 7 years ago

Anybody successfully use the communication patch to change high scores/adjustments, etc? I tried to load the patch on Metallica 1.7 and didn't have any luck. Had a message saying " Warning cannot relocate patch" and "Data is out of range". Maybe it is hit & miss as to what games/code versions it works with?

#2153 7 years ago

I heard that with rel 179 apparently the sidechannel doesn't work anymore so think this is related. Don't know any details, just heard some side info

#2154 7 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Anybody successfully use the communication patch to change high scores/adjustments, etc? I tried to load the patch on Metallica 1.7 and didn't have any luck. Had a message saying " Warning cannot relocate patch" and "Data is out of range". Maybe it is hit & miss as to what games/code versions it works with?

Had this issue several times colorizing SMVE with daily incremental updates. The file somehow became corrupted.

Only way I could resolve it was to start with a virgin binary file and patch it with the comm patch before doing anything else. Set the patched binary for serial side channel. Reload all changes via the macro.

If you load subsequent things to the binary through macros, either take out the comm patch line from macro or comment it out with "--" at the beginning of the line. Either way you will get an error "cannot locate ..." Just click through and the rest of the macro will run.

Not sure if this will work for the new MET patch but it did for 1.0. SMVE and the subsequent update.

#2155 7 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Only way I could resolve it was to start with a virgin binary file and patch it with the comm patch before doing anything else. Set the patched binary for serial side channel.

I did start with the stock binary file, and got those messages. Not sure what "set the patched binary for serial side channel" means - probably didn't get that far along.

#2156 7 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I did start with the stock binary file, and got those messages. Not sure what "set the patched binary for serial side channel" means - probably didn't get that far along.

Sorry thought you were doing color. Your best bet at this point is to contact Olivier for help.

#2157 7 years ago

Question, can we still export sounds in the latest version or was that feature removed some time ago. If I recall right I thought we had a extract audio button or something to that effect but now can no longer find it.

Thanks.

#2158 7 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Stern has removed the code for the serial port in MTL v1.7 and the communication patch v1.19 can't work with it.

#2159 7 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Stern has removed the code for the serial port in MTL v1.7 and the communication patch v1.19 can't work with it.

Yikes! This is bad news for everyone working on home brew color solutions for their games knowing the it is possible the future code updates will preclude them from using the side-channel color palettes.

Not being able to make remote adjustments to scores would be inconvenient but losing the side-channel color would be heart breaking.

I can report that the comm patch still works with the recent SMVE 1.01 update.

#2160 7 years ago

what do you mean with serial patch?

i am working on ST LE now

i just activated side channel serial

must i load and execute some other patches ?!?

thx

#2161 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

thx

I will add this question to the Pinball Browser FAQ :

How do I configure Pinball Browser for side-channel palettes ?
- Load a stock firmware
- Select the way Pinball Browser will store the palette informations into the firmware : go to the "SmartDmd" tab and select the method you want in the "Store colors" drop-down list. Depending on the side-channel cable you want to use, you'll select either "GPIO" or "Serial".
- Load the communication patch ("Load Patch" in the "Sam" tab). It is needed so that the game can send the palette informations to SmartDmd. Enter the game serial number that you'll find on a tag located at the back of the upper cabinet.
- Your macros should look like (this example is for AC/DC with a serial side-channel cable) :
`CheckVersion,"AC/DC",0x168
PaletteMode,2
LoadHex,"C:\Soft\Home\Pinball-Browser5\Patches\monitor\comm119.hex"
PaletteComm,2`
- Select the way SmartDmd will receive the palette informations : go to the "SmartDmd" tab, run the SmartDmd configurator and select the method you want in the "Color mode" drop-down list. Of course, you need to select the same method than above.

#2162 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

thx

Follow Olivier's notes.
I spent several days pulling out my hair trying to get the serial side channel to work, until I understood the process.
1. Start with your virgin binary file for your game.
2. Load the comm patch that is included in the Pinball Browser folder before you do anything else.
3. After the binary file is patched, configure your PB for serial side channel.
4. Have fun colorizing

#2163 7 years ago

could i also load the com patch after i have colorized it?

i have just set browser at step 1st to sidechanel serial and started to colorize

or must i load again a new firmware and execute my macros after i loaded the patch now?

thx

#2164 7 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

losing the side-channel color would be heart breaking.

Don't worry, your heart won't be broken for too long

#2165 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

could i also load the com patch after i have colorized it?

The patch is the first thing to load, before you make any modification to the firmware.

Quoted from kapsreiter:

i have just set browser at step 1st to sidechanel serial and started to colorize
or must i load again a new firmware and execute my macros after i loaded the patch now?

Load a stock firmware and play your macros.
Make sure you don't have any unnecessary PaletteComm or PaletteMode in them.

#2166 7 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Had this issue several times colorizing SMVE with daily incremental updates. The file somehow became corrupted.

This happens when you load the communication patch more than once.

#2167 7 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Seems that you find a solution ????you rock

#2168 7 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Great news. Hopefully I'll be picking up a MET soon.

#2169 7 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

losing the side-channel color would be heart breaking.

Pinball Browser v5.80 is now available (download link in OP) :
- The communication patch has been updated for MTL17LE and other new firmwares (where the serial driver has been removed)
- It is now possible to import/export images (but the exported files can only be imported in PB)

Many thanks to pinsider Sirlonzelot for his tests on the new communication patch.

#2170 7 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

- It is now possible to import/export images (but the exported files can only be imported in PB)

Is it possible we can get back export sounds feature again? In some games i.e. Met, the grave marker targets and Enter the Sandman is way too low audio wise and would be great to export them and reimport them amplified a bit.

#2171 7 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Is it possible we can get back export sounds feature again?

It will be added in a future version

#2172 7 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Pinball Browser v5.80 is now available (download link in OP) :
- The communication patch has been updated for MTL17LE and other new firmwares (where the serial driver has been removed)
Many thanks to pinsider Sirlonzelot for his tests on the new communication patch.

Thanks oga83 and Sirlonzelot for working together to get this updated version out!

#2173 7 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

It will be added in a future version

That is the best news I have heard.
That is the version I am after.

#2174 7 years ago

I have my Pinball Browser 5.76 configured to check for updates at startup, but it doesn't update to 5.80. Can I just download 5.80 and re-enter the license information?

#2175 7 years ago

Just download it and if it's a zip file extract to your current pinball browser directory and overwrite the files. It should still be registered.

#2176 7 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I have my Pinball Browser 5.76 configured to check for updates at startup, but it doesn't update to 5.80. Can I just download 5.80 and re-enter the license information?

yes, your previous license will work.

3 weeks later
#2177 7 years ago

I just downloaded the new 5.80 version and when I'm trying to import the same sound files used in my previous it says to try a shorter length or check license on main page.

Any idea what is up with this? The files are the correct size because they are already installed on the pinball. I was just going to make one change.

Suggestions?

1 week later
#2178 7 years ago

Has anyone already coloured a Flintstones please?

#2179 7 years ago
Quoted from CourtneyBlush:

Has anyone already coloured a Flintstones please?

You can't color a flinstones unfortunately, only stern SAM games.

The only thing you can do with a flinstones is a fixed colorpalet for all scenes

#2180 7 years ago

I'm still new to all of this, but I'm curious if this would be compatible with a 2003 TSPP? I can't find any connection for a RS232 cable tho...?

Sorry if this was already asked, I couldn't make it thru all 44 pages..

#2181 7 years ago
Quoted from skondris:

I'm still new to all of this, but I'm curious if this would be compatible with a 2003 TSPP?

unfortunately, TSPP is not a SAM title. it's a whitestar game
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4674

1 week later
#2183 7 years ago

Trying to make a donation....wont let me use my palpal balance and says it take 5 days for an echeck. this is frustrating.

2 weeks later
#2184 7 years ago

Hey all - trying to use Pinball Browser for the first time. I wanted to try and change some images on the DMD of my Attack From Mars, curious if Pinball Browser can help. I opened the .bin and I see all the images. I opened the first one (Bally logo) using the basic editor built into the software. I made some quick changes and hit "Save and Exit"... but nothing saves or changes? And when I try to save the new .bin it always tells me I can't save.

Is this because I need to donate to make these types of changes? Trying to figure out what I might be doing incorrectly. Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance.

#2185 7 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

I wanted to try and change some images on the DMD of my Attack From Mars, curious if Pinball Browser can help

The current version of Pinball Browser can only modify dmd frames in Sam and Spike firmwares; not in Williams firmwares.

#2186 7 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

The current version of Pinball Browser can only modify dmd frames in Sam and Spike firmwares; not in Williams firmwares.

Ah, that's unfortunate, I was hoping it would work on Williams. Is there any known way to edit DMD frames on those? Thank you for the reply!

#2187 7 years ago

just added a page to my website detailing modifications to SM that I made.

http://www.jamescardona.com/index.html

4 weeks later
#2188 7 years ago

Would love to add some music off the soundtrack on SM 2. Anyone else change SM background music ?

#2189 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Would love to add some music off the soundtrack on SM 2. Anyone else change SM background music ?

I have an excel file of all of the spiderman sound mappings if it can help you. PM your email

#2191 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I've done lots of call out mods and modified the closing music to include the original animated theme fade in and out.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spider-man-ve-smve-call-out-modification#post-3141003

Not hard but a bit time consuming reloading the binary

#2192 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The sounds in lord of the rings are very good. What's there to do?

I just got a lotr. Seems like some of the volume levels are out of whack (the orthanc skill shot is way too loud). Can I use this to correct that? Also, I'm sick of the oink sound when hitting the shire. I'd like to replace it or delete it. And I'd love to put the main orchestral theme from the movie in as the main background. Anyone know if this is possible?

#2193 7 years ago

That should be possible with Pinbrowser. Get the original code from Stern. Upload in pinbrowser. Look for the sounds you want to change.
You can download those part and work them through a program like Audicity. DO the volume and upload the new/enhanced sound.
Should be about an hour work if you are not into this.

#2194 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

That should be possible with Pinbrowser. Get the original code from Stern. Upload in pinbrowser. Look for the sounds you want to change.
You can download those part and work them through a program like Audicity. DO the volume and upload the new/enhanced sound.
Should be about an hour work if you are not into this.

Thanks for the response. To be clear, is there a special cord I can buy to hook my laptop to the pin?

#2195 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Thanks for the response. To be clear, is there a special cord I can buy to hook my laptop to the pin?

Well there is, but that is not necessary for what you want. There should be USB on the board to communicate. So you download the complete code - change the sounds - upload the new gameware with the altered sounds.

Note: when changing sounds you have to have a soundclip EXACTLY the same time as the original. So when the original sound is 12.125sec you will need a clip that is 12.125sec. That is where Audicity comes in. You can set your clip at the time needed.

#2196 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Well there is, but that is not necessary for what you want. There should be USB on the board to communicate.

Not on a Whitestar game like LotR.
You'll need an EPROM burner on that, in order to get the changed firmware into the game.

#2197 7 years ago
Quoted from Biv:

Not on a Whitestar game like LotR.
You'll need an EPROM burner on that, in order to get the changed firmware into the game.

Dang. I have an eprom burner but have never used it yet. Yikes! Anyone have a link to a video?

#2198 7 years ago

So I'm new to this and about to use it for my Metallica. I've used pinsound in the past.

Can I put multiple songs in the same slot? For example leave default unforgiven at have over AND add hero of the day which the game will rotate?

I'm assuming I can make the volume for these songs higher and still leave the game on default and it will sound louder? I ask BC there is a bug in this game that if you raise just the music volume the game goes silent upon drain.

#2199 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So I'm new to this and about to use it for my Metallica. I've used pinsound in the past.
Can I put multiple songs in the same slot? For example leave default unforgiven at have over AND add hero of the day which the game will rotate?

no, you can replace the song, but not have it rotate the song. what you are suggesting would require you to have knowledge of how the game code works (like rotating between the 2 songs for sparky multiball), access to the source, the ability to change, recompile and then re-flash your rom.

Quoted from delt31:

there is a bug in this game that if you raise just the music volume the game goes silent upon drain.

I spoke with lyman about this @ expo a week ago. he was aware and mentioned that a patch was coming to correct this (I think that 1.71 [not available yet] will be the version to correct this)

#2200 7 years ago

Great to hear about the update. Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
HurryUpPinball
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
Backbox
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,560 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.